ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2014 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Monday, March 12, 2012

50,062

That's how many words Word Dynamo estimates me to know. Now, I would argue that it's an artificially low estimate, since it doesn't include any Italian, German, French, or Japanese words. But despite its limited word list, the test is rather well-designed, as it keeps getting harder as you progress up the difficulty ramp.

Check it out and see how you do. And here is another benefit of homeschool. One of our elementary school age kids took the test and scored 20,090. Ender scored 43,814.

But speaking of homseschooled accomplishment, I would be badly remiss in failing to offer congratulations to the daughter of one of the original Ilk:
After correctly spelling "pickelhaube," "idiopathic" and "pharmacology," Elise Stahl of Greenfield won the seven-county metro-area regional spelling bee Saturday on the word "remand." In the 16th round, Elise, 12, outlasted Eva Beeman Trelstad, 10, of St. Paul and Benjamin Pults, 13, of Maplewood to represent Minnesota at the Scripps National Spelling Bee in Washington, D.C., in May.
Chalk one up for the Grizzlies! League sources were heard to say that Greenfield would be wise to consider turning the team's drafting responsibilities over to the young Miss Stahl.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous March 13, 2012 12:44 PM  

50042

Anonymous Azimus March 13, 2012 2:24 PM  

I see the comment format changed. I had 45,576. Quite proud of that, I was. I can add my 500 words of Spanish, which I have boasted that I've known since high school... and also about the 150 words of German shop language necessary to get my squad to knock out the T-34 coming down the alley...

Anonymous David Of One March 13, 2012 2:54 PM  

45,855

Oh well.

I do wonder if the time spent on two incoming phone calls and answering the front door during the test affected the final score.

Life IS Good!

Anonymous David Of One March 13, 2012 4:10 PM  

I'm soooo remiss!

Congradulations to Elise and the entire Stahl family! I know whom I'm rooting for come May!

And ... assuming that Ender doesn't answer telephone calls or the door ... Ender should end up passing up me and few other of the Ilk ... maybe even Vox!

Anonymous Trevor Loomis March 13, 2012 4:45 PM  

Tied for 500062...? I am disgraced.

Anonymous bw March 13, 2012 5:18 PM  

the young Miss Stahl is no doubt noticing that Elway may have found his way out of the nightmare Tebow situation.

Anonymous Anonymous March 13, 2012 8:09 PM  

50076, but that score doesn't really mean that I outscored Vox.

It seems as if the testing system uses "tiers" of words and assigns you a semi-random score within the range of the tier. IE, every score about 50,000 is actually more or less identical. This would explain why some incorrect answers will still yield a positive amount of points ,but why some correct ones might yield a negative amount of points: as long as the difficulty rating you are assigned to remains unchanged, your score will still be randomly determined within that rank.

A casual look at the high score listing shows that someone managed to get a score in excess of 140,000. Apparently, you can only get a truly high score if you sign into the website. I'm assuming that doing so will allow you to save your score and repeatedly take tests, boosting the value higher as you progress upwards

Blogger Duke of Earl March 13, 2012 8:57 PM  

45,526

I feel dumb.

Anonymous Anonymous March 14, 2012 12:17 AM  

I scored 10 out of 10, but the site wants me to register to receive a score. Screw that.

Anonymous tron3dfx March 14, 2012 9:00 AM  

42,091
Seems low to me.

tron3dfx

Anonymous Rex Corvinus March 15, 2012 12:39 AM  

The quiz is too short but...50,063

Nice to see high counts on the local commentariat.

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS. Anonymous comments will be deleted.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts