ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2017 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Just more black-on-black violence

The Narrative further melts down:
The 28-year-old insurance-fraud investigator comes from a deeply Catholic background and was taught in his early years to do right by those less fortunate. He was raised in a racially integrated household and himself has black roots through an Afro-Peruvian great-grandfather - the father of the maternal grandmother who helped raise him

A criminal justice student who aspired to become a judge, Zimmerman also concerned himself with the safety of his neighbors after a series of break-ins committed by young African-American men. Though civil rights demonstrators have argued Zimmerman should not have prejudged Martin, one black neighbor of the Zimmermans said recent history should be taken into account. "Let's talk about the elephant in the room. I'm black, OK?" the woman said, declining to be identified because she anticipated backlash due to her race. She leaned in to look a reporter directly in the eyes. "There were black boys robbing houses in this neighborhood," she said. "That's why George was suspicious of Trayvon Martin."
Now that is indeed amusing. The Great White Defendant isn't just Hispanic, but turns out to be an octoroon! Case closed. Send the camera crews home. That sound you're hearing is just the term "White Hispanic" being frantically scrubbed from the media style guides.

Labels: ,

107 Comments:

Anonymous Daniel April 26, 2012 9:37 AM  

The narrative is easily fixed because you aren't black until you are either 100% black, or President. Heck, Kobe wasn't even black, but European, until he was accused of rape, so Zimmerman must just be a wannabe, trying to get in that exclusive and privileged club known as "young black man."

Anonymous TLM April 26, 2012 9:41 AM  

Obama should correct his statement about Trayvon looking like his son, as he has much more in common with Zimmerman. Half breed, raised by grandparents, community activism, etc. What's an octoroon?

Anonymous The other skeptic April 26, 2012 9:59 AM  


What's an octoroon?


One of eight great-grandparents was black.

It might actually be less, though, depending on whether the great-grandparent was fully black or only half black. (The average African American is around 20% white, for example.)

Anonymous Smarty Pants April 26, 2012 10:04 AM  

"(The average African American is around 20% white, for example.)"

Its actually 40% which seems hard to believe.

Anonymous Anonymous April 26, 2012 10:15 AM  

New media rule.

One drop of white blood makes you bad, dude. The more white blood the worse. That makes him worse that The Won Mocha Messiah.

Anonymous The Gray Man April 26, 2012 10:16 AM  

It's OK, the media and government likes to call Arabs and Jews and a lot of other non-whites "white".

Blogger Giraffe April 26, 2012 10:24 AM  

If he's part black, he must be innocent. They are always trying to keep the black man down.

Angela Corey is the next Marsha Clark.

Anonymous Alauda April 26, 2012 10:27 AM  

"Octoroon" makes you sound profoundly moronic. I don't care what it means.

Anonymous Smarty Pants April 26, 2012 10:28 AM  

The funny thing with Jews is they only White when it personally benefits them. They switch from being a minority to part of the majority depending on who they want to suck up to.

I've always found it funny that Americans don't think intermarrying with Jews constitutes an interracial marriage. Some will say that the fact that they have some European blood means if is not an interracial marriage, but if you used that line of reasoning then marrying African Americans wouldn't constitute an interracial marriage either. It seems to be based on the fact that some Jews look sort of white. But what can you expect from Americans, considering so many of them have Native Indian ancestry.

Does the article mention if Zimmerman has Jewish ancestry? His name looks suspicious.

Anonymous Sheila April 26, 2012 10:38 AM  

The average African American is neither 20% or 40% White; you are following the MSM too closely. It's around 13-15% - and there are plenty who have far less than that.

Anonymous Smarty Pants April 26, 2012 10:52 AM  

http://genomebiology.com/2009/10/12/R141

You may be right Sheila about the 40% being wrong. Though the link above suggest its an average between 15% and 20% depending on region. I remember when Henry Louis Gates got tested genetically they said he had 40% European Ancestry and that at the time they believed that was the average for all African Americans. But that seems unlikely going by the newer studies.

Anonymous Aethelfrith April 26, 2012 11:01 AM  

I think that when it comes to this case, liberals simply live in their own reality. An obnoxious, talkative, atheo-liberal intern at my job apparently didn't discover the facts suppressed by the media and said that this case should have been used by the Democrats to further gun control.

Anonymous JohnS April 26, 2012 11:16 AM  

The irony of this comment is almost too over the top. Trolling?

Anonymous Baseball Savant April 26, 2012 11:16 AM  

VD,

Off topic but who are you hoping Minnesota takes tonight with the 3rd overall pick? I've seen both Kalil & Claiborne as the pick. Any preference?

Anonymous Wendy April 26, 2012 11:23 AM  

"Octoroon" makes you sound profoundly moronic. I don't care what it means.

Dictionary.com is your friend.

Anonymous Aethelfrith April 26, 2012 11:24 AM  

JohnS,

I'm a troll?

The whole Martin-Zimmerman affair is one gigantic farce, the work of a kangaroo court if you will.

Anonymous fish April 26, 2012 11:33 AM  

That sound you're hearing is just the term "White Hispanic" being frantically scrubbed from the media style guides.

Quick....to the Memory Hole with this!

Blogger LP 999/Eliza April 26, 2012 11:40 AM  

And where is the family that spoke to CNN? They said again and again during a 2 day news cycle, "the neighborhood is perfectly safe, there were no problems of any kind."

The clip was played on HLN and CNN.

Blogger Spacebunny April 26, 2012 11:42 AM  

"Octoroon" makes you sound profoundly moronic. I don't care what it means.

You admit you don't know what a word means, but it makes the user sound moronic? Gotcha. Nothing like not only reveling in your ignorance, but claiming other people's intelligence makes them moronic sounding.

Blogger LP 999/Eliza April 26, 2012 11:43 AM  

The media must be rather disppointed, they so wanted a race war.

Anonymous Alauda April 26, 2012 11:45 AM  

1. It's a dumb sounding word.
2. There's a better term for black people or people who aren't black they use in Paraguay: ava.

Anonymous Alauda April 26, 2012 11:46 AM  

It sounds like a cross between a whip scorpion and an octopus.

Anonymous James Dixon April 26, 2012 11:49 AM  

Vox, you have no idea how pleased Meredith was to see you use the word octoroon. :)

> "Octoroon" makes you sound profoundly moronic. I don't care what it means.

Ignorance is bliss, I suppose.

> 1. It's a dumb sounding word.

And your point is? Lots of word sound dumb.

> 2. There's a better term for black people or people who aren't black they use in Paraguay: ava.

I'm not in Paraguay. Are you?

Blogger ajw308 April 26, 2012 11:51 AM  

"(The average African American is around 20% white, for example.)"

Its actually 40% which seems hard to believe.


Some time ago Vox linked an article about a 'black man' who, through genetic testing, found out he was 70% Irish and had regretted destructive choices he'd made younger cause of his black identity.

100% African black men have beards. If you see beardless 'black men' they have some American Indian in them and are mixed race. Go to the Minneapolis airport or look at the scarified janitor working at the local elementary school. That's a 100% black man and they look way different than, say, Morgan Freeman and his freckles.

Anonymous Roundtine April 26, 2012 11:56 AM  

Octoroon sounds like a delicious snack cake made by Little Debbie.

Blogger Galt-in-Da-Box April 26, 2012 12:02 PM  

MEANWHILE, back in the real world:
CISPA CYBERSNOOPING - Khazar-Papist cabal's L8est attack on your civil liberties:
https://wfc2.wiredforchange.com/o/9042/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=8444

Blogger Spacebunny April 26, 2012 12:25 PM  

1. It's a dumb sounding word.

What an awesome rebuttal to your previously proclaimed ignorance. But yes dear, it is other's who sound stupid using words you don't understand.

Anonymous Alauda April 26, 2012 12:32 PM  

At least I know what a whip scorpion is.

Anonymous Cinco April 26, 2012 12:42 PM  

"Some time ago Vox linked an article about a 'black man' who, through genetic testing, found out he was 70% Irish and had regretted destructive choices he'd made younger cause of his black identity."

I found the video, he appears at about 1 minute in... Some black people actually acknowledge their European roots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nda_OSWeyn8

Anonymous Stilicho April 26, 2012 12:52 PM  

"Octoroon" makes you sound profoundly moronic. I don't care what it means.

You admit you don't know what a word means, but it makes the user sound moronic? Gotcha. Nothing like not only reveling in your ignorance, but claiming other people's intelligence makes them moronic sounding.

To be fair, SB, she appears to have received a rather niggardly share of mental acuity.

Blogger Spacebunny April 26, 2012 12:54 PM  

At least I know what a whip scorpion is.

Yet another utterly devastating rebuttal, dear!

Anonymous VD April 26, 2012 12:55 PM  

Off topic but who are you hoping Minnesota takes tonight with the 3rd overall pick? I've seen both Kalil & Claiborne as the pick. Any preference?

Kalil. Definitely Kalil. OT don't bust as often and if Ponder is going to have any chance of developing into an elite QB, he needs some blocking. I'm not saying he will, only that without a better line, he's the next David Carr.

Blogger Professor Hale April 26, 2012 1:00 PM  

1. It's a dumb sounding word.--Alauda

How do you feel about the word innuendo?

Anonymous Joshua_D April 26, 2012 1:02 PM  

Octoroon, whipped scorpion ... sounds like a pretty fun party!

Anonymous Alauda April 26, 2012 1:06 PM  

It's a racial term for a species that has such little genetic diversity there's only one subspecies.

At least the word alauda (or skylark for that matter) doesn't sound like a word a drunken hick made up when he wanted to insult black people.

Anonymous James Dixon April 26, 2012 1:09 PM  

> At least I know what a whip scorpion is.

While those who don't will have to resort to Wikipedia, I guess.

Anonymous Holla April 26, 2012 1:19 PM  

Excepting that the case isn't about Zimmerman, but about the police response to the killing of a black kid.

Anonymous Jimmy April 26, 2012 1:19 PM  

Octoroon can't be worse than Octomom.

Maybe not moronic, but something else like offensive.

"1.archaic: an offensive term for somebody who has one black great-grandparent and no other black ancestors"

via Bing Dictionary.

Anonymous Joshua_D April 26, 2012 1:21 PM  

Alauda April 26, 2012 1:06 PM
It's a racial term for a species that has such little genetic diversity there's only one subspecies.

At least the word alauda (or skylark for that matter) doesn't sound like a word a drunken hick made up when he wanted to insult black people.


Dig faster, alauda.

Blogger Baloo April 26, 2012 1:29 PM  

It's a nice thought, but of course Zimmerman was awash in White racism and it's still all Whitey's fault. Moreover, a White Hispanic can travel around the world while an octoroon is getting his shoes on. This is linked and commented here:
http://ex-army.blogspot.com/2012/04/anotjher-trayvonzimmerman-race-card.html

Anonymous alauda April 26, 2012 1:30 PM  

It's both offensive and dopey-sounding, like negro.
I don't speak Spanish. Maybe it doesn't sound as bad when you don't sound like a fucking HICK!

Anonymous cherub's revenge April 26, 2012 1:31 PM  

Maybe not moronic, but something else like offensive.

"1.archaic: an offensive term for somebody who has one black great-grandparent and no other black ancestors"


Huh? I wasn't offended by it at all. Actually though, he's a Zambo (Sambo)(octoroon + castizo).

So Vox was being overly politically correct as we all know Sambo could be construed as much, much more "offensive" than octoroon.

Blogger Spacebunny April 26, 2012 1:36 PM  

It's both offensive and dopey-sounding, like negro.
I don't speak Spanish. Maybe it doesn't sound as bad when you don't sound like a fucking HICK!


More in the way of brilliant rebuttals - keep them coming, dear!

Anonymous Stilicho April 26, 2012 1:43 PM  

It's both offensive and dopey-sounding, like negro.
I don't speak Spanish. Maybe it doesn't sound as bad when you don't sound like a fucking HICK!


Your feelings matter less than a popcorn fart in a hurricane.

Anonymous Joshua_D April 26, 2012 1:43 PM  

alauda April 26, 2012 1:30 PM
It's both offensive and dopey-sounding, like negro.
I don't speak Spanish. Maybe it doesn't sound as bad when you don't sound like a fucking HICK!


the stoopid ... it burns ... arggg

Blogger JDC April 26, 2012 1:49 PM  

Quote from alauda
I don't speak Spanish. Maybe it doesn't sound as bad when you don't sound like a fucking HICK!

Well...since you are reading a blog - the only sounds you are hearing are your own. Please...keep commenting. If this isn't parody it's way too funny.

Anonymous alauda April 26, 2012 1:52 PM  

I imagine that most of you sound like hicks and that Spacebunny has a very high-pitched screechy voice.

Blogger Giraffe April 26, 2012 1:56 PM  

What have you got against hicks? Raciss!!

Anonymous Suomynona April 26, 2012 1:59 PM  

Alauda April 26, 2012 1:06 PM - At least the word alauda (or skylark for that matter) doesn't sound like a word a drunken hick made up when he wanted to insult black people.

Don't let facts get in the way of your liberal delusions. You are clearly projecting your own bigotry and ignorance.

octoroon or octaroon (ˌɒktəˈruːn)

—n
Compare quadroon a person having one quadroon and one White parent and therefore having one-eighth Black blood

[C19: octo- + -roon as in quadroon]

Word Origin & History
quadroon
1707, "offspring of a white and a mulatto," from Sp. cuarteron (used chiefly of the offspring of a European and a mestizo), from cuarto "fourth," from L. quartus (see quart), so called because he or she has one quarter African blood. Alt. by infl. of words in quadr-.

Blogger Spacebunny April 26, 2012 2:00 PM  

I imagine that most of you sound like hicks and that Spacebunny has a very high-pitched screechy voice.

And in a completely unexpected turn, we've run right straight to the logical fallacy ad homenim, brilliant dear!

Anonymous Joshua_D April 26, 2012 2:03 PM  

alauda April 26, 2012 1:52 PM
I imagine that most of you sound like hicks and that Spacebunny has a very high-pitched screechy voice.

That's OK. Liberal femi-nazis are not known for their creative imaginations.

Anonymous Gen. Kong April 26, 2012 2:06 PM  

Auster has (by far) the finest Ministry of Truth pix (the ones in the brainz of every journ-o-liss) of the famous pair right here.

Stilicho: To be fair, SB, she appears to have received a rather niggardly share of mental acuity.

Dat be rayciss!!

Anonymous mmaier2112@work April 26, 2012 2:11 PM  

ajw308: "Some time ago Vox linked an article about a 'black man' who, through genetic testing, found out he was 70% Irish and had regretted destructive choices he'd made younger cause of his black identity."


Sounds hilarious. Anyone have a link? The blogspot.com search function didn't yield any fruit.

Anonymous Gen. Kong April 26, 2012 2:21 PM  

Vox: Now that is indeed amusing. The Great White Defendant isn't just Hispanic, but turns out to be an octoroon! Case closed. Send the camera crews home. That sound you're hearing is just the term "White Hispanic" being frantically scrubbed from the media style guides.

Not a chance. The Ministry of Truth continues to beat the 'rayciss white kills black child with skittles' meme. If they they do anything at all, they'll switch to 'white-hispanic-octaroon'. The game plan here, in case readers haven't yet picked up on it, is twofold: a). to gin-up as much black-on-white violence as possible, which is already happening all across the country (and unreported by the ministry of truth as usual); b) to repeal all 'stand-your-ground' and 'castle-doctrine' laws - effectively stripping proles and zeks of the right to defend their persons, families and property.

Massive funding and agitation is already under way in to repeal such laws from Soros, Bloomberg, et al. One of the "conservative" organizations who supported such laws has already flipped. Once D'Won on d'downlow is re-incoronated - with a Dem congress - he can sign the UN small arms treaty and proceed with the de-facto abolition of the second amendment. Even if the idiocracy actually votes against D'Won (unlikely as most are so completely stupid they believe all the lies about the boom times generated by the Ministry of Truth) and 'erects' Mittens Underoos, the identical thing will happen even with a Repuke congress.

Anonymous FP April 26, 2012 2:26 PM  

Drudge seems to be having good fun with this whole disaster and the MSM, showing a young picture of Zimmerman with the article link about his roots.

Oh, and Biden is reporting that "the president has a big stick" to deal with Iran. You better check that out Alauda. That doesn't sound very PC.

Anonymous Suomynona April 26, 2012 2:28 PM  

Alaputa is an octotard. Now, that's a made-up word. And since I made it up I will define it for you: a person with one-eighth the mental capacity of a normal person - usually a liberal.

Anonymous Luke April 26, 2012 2:37 PM  

Even half white and half black = black. (Example: the mulatto "singer" Prince the dog.) Like food mixed with nonfood, you round down for all but traces.

Anonymous Alauda April 26, 2012 2:37 PM  

Why do southerners have to use horribly butchered Spanish?

Anonymous Stilicho April 26, 2012 2:41 PM  

And in a completely unexpected turn...

No one expects the Spanglish imposition!

Anonymous James Dixon April 26, 2012 2:42 PM  

> It's both offensive and dopey-sounding, like negro.

You have a problem with Latin and Spanish now?

> I don't speak Spanish.

Again, your point is?

Anonymous James Dixon April 26, 2012 2:45 PM  

> Why do southerners have to use horribly butchered Spanish?

The last I checked, Vox wasn't a southerner.

Anonymous Stilicho April 26, 2012 2:47 PM  

Auster has (by far) the finest Ministry of Truth pix (the ones in the brainz of every journ-o-liss) of the famous pair right here.

That was hilarious.

Dat be rayciss!!

That too.

Anonymous alexamenos April 26, 2012 2:54 PM  

My first reaction to the killing of NoLimitSkittles was that there was no way the race industry was going to turn this into The Narrative--Zimmerman was too obviously not white. I honestly thought that there was just no way on earth that Sharpton, Jackson and the whole gang of TV Anti-racistialists were going be able to hold up a picture of a very brown man and make it an evil whitey story.

I'm reminded yet again of how difficult it is to predict the future, and I'm amazed by how long it has taken cognitive dissonance to set on amongst liberals.

Anonymous Alauda April 26, 2012 2:55 PM  

I have a problem with extremely nasal words.

Anonymous alexamenos April 26, 2012 2:55 PM  

Why do southerners have to use horribly butchered Spanish?

Easy answer. Because Spanish isn't there first language.

Now....why do inner city black youths have to use such horribly butchered English?

Anonymous alauda April 26, 2012 2:58 PM  

Oh, you whites are so superior, aren't you?

Blogger Spacebunny April 26, 2012 3:02 PM  

Why do southerners have to use horribly butchered Spanish?

If you don't speak Spanish, dear, how do you know whether or not anyone is butchering it?

Anonymous Alauda April 26, 2012 3:03 PM  

I've heard it spoken, and it doesn't sound like wheezing.

Anonymous FHL April 26, 2012 3:09 PM  

Perhaps slightly off-topic, but has anyone read "Black Rednecks and White Liberals" by Thomas Sowell? I am currently in the midst of it and the parts I have read are very interesting, to say the least. He argues that today's "black culture" is really inherited from old "white southern culture," which was in-turn inherited from their Scottish Highland ancestors.

But, in modern times, the whites have outgrown that vulgar and violent culture, yet the blacks have become stuck in it.

It is implied, but not directly stated, that blacks have become stuck in "ghetto culture" because liberals have become determined to protect this so-called "black culture" when what they really need to do is encourage blacks to become more "white." After all, if they inherited one culture from the whites, why not inherit another better culture and leave all this silly "black culture" behind?

I'm still in the middle of the book, but does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Anonymous alexamenos April 26, 2012 3:09 PM  

Oh, you whites are so superior, aren't you?

It seems as if you're able to make a distinction between well-spoken Spanish and butchered Spanish, notwithstanding the fact that you don't speak Spanish.

Are you able to distinguish between well-spoken English and butchered English as well?

Anonymous alexamenos April 26, 2012 3:15 PM  

I'm still in the middle of the book, but does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Spend a year in Africa (I have), and then explain to me how the hell highland Scotts transmitted their culture to West Africa.

Anonymous WinstonWebb April 26, 2012 3:18 PM  

The brown flag is at half-mast regarding "alauda". I detect the faint manure stench of sock-puppetry as I find it difficult to believe that such a caricature of the left actually exists.

Anonymous FHL April 26, 2012 3:24 PM  

@alexamenos

I've never spent any time in West Africa, so I don't know anything about it. The only year I've spent in "Africa" was in Egypt, visiting my family. But there are large differences in North Africa (may as well call it the "middle-east") and the rest of the continent.

Do the West Africans act "ghetto" in the same manner as American blacks?

Culture is a tricky thing to pin down, since it is always changing and is transmitted in peculiar ways (modern whites love rap music...).

But the argument Sowell makes is that everything from the sense of pride, the protecting your "homeboys," the disregard for new technology, the shortened vocabulary and slang terms, the sexual promiscuity, the "hellfire-and-brimstone" preachers, and many more similarities can be found in the old American South. He also shows that it can also be found quite clearly in the old culture of the highland Scots.

It's not a foolproof argument, since, like I said, culture is difficult to pin down, but Mr. Sowell does present quite a great deal of evidence for these similarities between the cultures.

Anonymous alexamenos April 26, 2012 3:24 PM  

....was in-turn inherited from their Scottish Highland ancestors....in modern times, the whites have outgrown that vulgar and violent culture, yet the blacks have become stuck in it.

In the interest of full disclosure, my surname is unmistakably Highland Scott, and I resent the raciss implication that me and my ilk have outgrown our violent and vulgar culture.

Anonymous Stilicho April 26, 2012 3:33 PM  

I'm still in the middle of the book, but does anyone have any thoughts on this?

There is no relationship between Scots Irish culture and American Black culture.

Anonymous DonReynolds April 26, 2012 3:38 PM  

Smarty Pants...."I've always found it funny that Americans don't think intermarrying with Jews constitutes an interracial marriage. Some will say that the fact that they have some European blood means if is not an interracial marriage, but if you used that line of reasoning then marrying African Americans wouldn't constitute an interracial marriage either. It seems to be based on the fact that some Jews look sort of white. But what can you expect from Americans, considering so many of them have Native Indian ancestry."

Not so fast, sonny. My dad's side of the family is English and my mom's side is Highlander.....and BOTH sides of the family are convinced they married outside their race. That European label is not quite white enough for some people. To them, the Germans and Dutch and Scandanavians are also white (along with the UK and Ireland), but the Spanish, Italian, Greek, and south of France is a bit non-white.

Anonymous FHL April 26, 2012 3:40 PM  

@alexamenos

Perhaps I came off too strongly there! I greatly apologize! I don't really know what to say at this moment.

Every culture has it's own quirks, some good, some bad. I'm Egyptian, but I will not be held responsible for enslaving the Hebrews and building ridiculously expensive and outrageous tombs. From what I understand of the various Scottish clans is that they were a tough group of people who maintained the great aspects of loyalty, Christian beliefs, and family life in a rough land. All of that is to be admired. However, when they immigrated to America, it seems that there was a divide between the South and North, not only do to the geography of the America, but by their heritage as well. What worked in Scotland did not mesh so well with the "cultured" Americans of British ancestry.

Once again, I did not mean to insult you. The "vulgar and violent" statement was far too much,and I take it back, forgive me. But every culture adapts to its surroundings. It seems, from the case Sowell is making, that the culture of the Scottish Highlanders did not adept so well to their new American homeland. And if American blacks have caught that culture, even if it is no longer the same culture anymore, they would still do well to "lose/change" it in favor of whatever the current whites are doing.

I grant this is not an issue I am well versed in, so I will leave it at that, and perhaps I am mistaken after all! I only mentioned that this was in a book I was currently reading.

Anonymous tiredofitall April 26, 2012 3:42 PM  

alauda

I imagine that most of you sound like hicks and that Spacebunny has a very high-pitched screechy voice.


I imagine you are confused by simple concepts and often need a "minder" to make sure you don't wander off and hurt yourself.

Anonymous alexamenos April 26, 2012 3:43 PM  

the protecting your "homeboys," the disregard for new technology, the shortened vocabulary and slang terms, the sexual promiscuity, the "hellfire-and-brimstone" preachers, and many more similarities can be found in the old American South. He also shows that it can also be found quite clearly in the old culture of the highland Scots.

A good place to start as any....my strong suspicion is that "homie" is probably derived from "homme", the french word for "man." (I strongly suspect this because I once heard a man referring to a friend as his homme, and the connection was beyond obvious). Pt being, a lot of influences on US Africans, including the venacular, is decidely not highland Scott.

As far as sexual promiscuity, from what I could tell West Africans will fuck anything that moves (this is putting it politely), and they frequently do. You're familiar with extreme prohibitions against homosexuality in parts of Africa???? My suspicion is that this reaction is akin to a society with extreme laws against goat-sex...in other words, societies probably don't feel compelled to outlaw goat sex unless there is a lot of goat sexing going on.

As far as the ghetto question goes, compare the histories of Detroit Michigan and Luanda Angola over the last 50 years. I've never spent any time in Detroit (and god willing, I never will), but from what I can gather it's not much of a step up from Luanda.

Anonymous Joshua_D April 26, 2012 3:45 PM  

I have a snakeing suspicion that alauda isn't going to be sleeping with anyONE ON THIS BOARD!

Anonymous FHL April 26, 2012 3:45 PM  

@alexamenos

Alright, I will look into this. Thank you!

Anonymous alexamenos April 26, 2012 3:46 PM  

Perhaps I came off too strongly there! I greatly apologize! I don't really know what to say at this moment.

FHL -- No worries, I was being facetious. I've often said that the most barbaric of the Highland Scotts were the _________ (my surname), the worst of the ___________ migrated to America, and the worst of the American __________ ended up in Texas.

Alternatively stated, call us violent and vulgar again and I'll send my dumbass slut of a sister to kick your ass.

Anonymous alauda April 26, 2012 3:49 PM  

Why would I want to sleep with any of you freaks?

Anonymous WinstonWebb April 26, 2012 3:54 PM  

Beware alauda!!!

Anonymous Stilicho April 26, 2012 3:57 PM  

But the argument Sowell makes is that everything from the sense of pride, the protecting your "homeboys," the disregard for new technology, the shortened vocabulary and slang terms, the sexual promiscuity, the "hellfire-and-brimstone" preachers, and many more similarities can be found in the old American South. He also shows that it can also be found quite clearly in the old culture of the highland Scots.

Feel free to share Sowell's evidence. I'll note at the outset that the Scots Irish culture of the South is predominately that of the lowland Scots (or "Borderers" as they are often referred to). A quasi-military structure based upon close family relationships is the primary organizational element and is explained by the long history of warfare in the region which continued through their brief adventure driving the Irish out of the Ulster Plantation and into their settlement of the American frontier, French and Indian War, Revolution, further settlement (e.g. Texas settlement and independence), and second revolution. Another defining characteristic of Scots Irish culture is the desire to be left the hell alone.

The gangbanger/ghetto culture is no more an offshoot of Scots Irish culture any more than it is an offshoot of feudal Norman culture which can be twisted in the same manner to fit the pattern. To the extent there are similarities, it is a matter of the form following the violent function. Nor is there any indication that the ghetto culture is a basis for a sustainable society, unlike the Scots Irish (or Normans for that matter). Instead, its very existence is dependent upon subsidies from the society to which it is parasitically attached.

Anonymous Luke April 26, 2012 3:58 PM  

FHL asks:

"I've never spent any time in West Africa, so I don't know anything about it. The only year I've spent in "Africa" was in Egypt, visiting my family. But there are large differences in North Africa (may as well call it the "middle-east") and the rest of the continent.

Do the West Africans act "ghetto" in the same manner as American blacks?"

Arguably even worse:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/924795/posts

Anonymous FHL April 26, 2012 4:00 PM  

@alexamenos

Haha! Well, I'll refrain from any further insults, seeing as how we both live in the same state and your sister sounds terrifying.

With that said though, you should know that the harshness (by this I mean natural harshness: the elements, the climate, the geography) and history of the Highland clans has always been extremely intriguing to me. It sounds ridiculous, I know, but I'm not just kissing ass here- I really do have a stack of books as high as a small toddler on the Scottish Highlands. Mostly because they seem so badass.

I do not know anything about whatever relationship they may have to the black Americans, however. That I know nothing other than what I have read in Sowell's book so far.

But thank you for accepting my apology and God bless!

Anonymous daddynichol April 26, 2012 4:05 PM  

alauda - Now, THAT'S a stupid hick sounding name!

Anonymous FHL April 26, 2012 4:07 PM  

@ Stilicho

Yes, this was something I wondered about. It seems that a person could potentially give off any sort of related behaviors as evidence that one culture derived from another. I think the case that Sowell made had alot to do with the culture of the slave owners, and not simply similarities between the cultures.

I do not think that modern blacks are a replica of old Scots. That would be ridiculous. It is somewhat hard for me to believe that some of the culture of the old South did not rub off on the slave immigrants, however. Not really sure what to make of that yet, but I would expect some change. Can you really change the language, religion, clothing, rituals, and technology of a people without influencing them?

Perhaps the best answer (at least from what I see so far) is saying that cultures interact with each other. It could be said that when two cultures come into contact, a third is born.

Anonymous alauda April 26, 2012 4:09 PM  

It's Gaulish.

Anonymous Stilicho April 26, 2012 4:22 PM  

Perhaps the best answer (at least from what I see so far) is saying that cultures interact with each other. It could be said that when two cultures come into contact, a third is born.

While there is certainly the opportunity for cross-pollination when different cultures come into contact with each other, that is not the case here to any significant degree. The ghetto culture to which you refer is characterized more by its rejection of all white/european culture in favor of their own brand of licentiousness.

Anonymous FHL April 26, 2012 4:39 PM  

@ Stilicho

I was going post another long reply, but then realized I didn't have enough information. This situation can twist a person upside-down. Culture is a weird thing.

But if it is the case that the blacks are refusing to accept white/european culture, then why are the whites accepting other cultures? Didn't Vox just post about white British women getting cliterodectomies? And if whites are refusing to accept that other cultures are influencing them in negative ways, could it be said that this is a problem that the current white culture has? And if you can't change culture (and while I do think this is culture related, it seems impossible to change through any sort of government action, or book, or whatever- culture is deep-rooted), then is white culture doomed to promote its own destruction?

Anonymous Wendy April 26, 2012 4:42 PM  

Mostly because they seem so badass.

One book I read said they were so badass because they ate meat. The Highlands aren't exactly farm country, so they relied more on livestock as food sources. Lowlands got stuck eating mostly veg. They were also badass because they got so much practice fighting amongst themselves.

Blogger Kentucky Packrat April 26, 2012 4:49 PM  

"My suspicion is that this reaction is akin to a society with extreme laws against goat-sex...in other words, societies probably don't feel compelled to outlaw goat sex unless there is a lot of goat sexing going on."

Scotland: the land where the women are strong and the sheep are scared.

My father's father's family is highland Scottish, but they settled in central Kentucky (i.e. not mountains), and maintained an upper middle class. My father's mother's family claims Scottish descent, but they have one problem: Scots don't get that dark. American Indians don't even get that shade of grey-white.

Then Number One Son got diagnosed with Familial Mediterranean Fever, and we started trying to figure out how we could be in line for it. Among the Scots who settled in the original Virginia/Carolina mountains, a lot of Moors and Spanish Jews settled in. That's why Kentucky and Tennessee have a lot of Mediterranean genetic diseases.

I'm not sure about Sowell's specific claim, but I think in general it's correct. The issue is culture first, genetics second. Someone here claimed that US blacks had an equal crime rate to whites, correcting for economic status, at the start of the 20th century. We "fixed" that with welfare. Now, to fix it again, we're destroying an entire generation of everyone else by destroying marriage and farming kids out to daycare. In a generation or two, there won't be any difference between whites and blacks again, but that won't be a good thing for those of us fighting the trend.

Anonymous Stilicho April 26, 2012 5:07 PM  

But if it is the case that the blacks are refusing to accept white/european culture, then why are the whites accepting other cultures?

You are assuming that there is a relationship between the two phenomena you observed. There is not unless the destruction of Western culture causes it to be viewed as inferior by blacks who would otherwise be willing to assimilate.

Further, when you see various white groups/subgroups adopting other cultures, it is primarily induced by a) the relentless denigration of Western culture by the media, the educational establishment, government, etc. and b) adoption of another culture to fill the void left by "a."

Anonymous FHL April 26, 2012 5:34 PM  

@ Stilicho

"You are assuming that there is a relationship between the two phenomena you observed. There is not unless the destruction of Western culture causes it to be viewed as inferior by blacks who would otherwise be willing to assimilate."

Forgive me, I'm drinking beers at the moment, and perhaps that is why I cannot make sense of this statement. My answers will get more incoherent as the day passes...

I was not saying that one phenomena causes the other, but rather that, in knowledge of one (blacks are not assimilating, for whatever reason), why do not whites stop accepting other cultures in completely open immigration (the same as Vox argues)? When Vox argues against completely open immigration, who is he attempting to convince? Pakistani immigrants? Surely not- it must be the white people who have allowed this uncontrolled immigration policy to begin and continue.

You answer this in your second statement, but who runs the media, the educational establishment, even the government? Obama may be black, but there are not enough blacks in this country to vote him in office even if they all voted for him (I haven't checked this statistic, just guessing...).

The issue I brought up can be summarized like this: it is painfully obvious to me that the reason America is having problems with undiscriminated immigration is because white people allowed it to be so. I don't know about the "Black Rednecks" part of Sowell's book, but the "White Liberals" is all too clear. White people voted for Obama because he was black and they wanted to seem "open-minded." I'm not saying all white people are like this... but enough to justify saying that white culture is largely responsible for the destruction of its own culture. Many white people, oddly enough, hate white people. For no reason at all! This obviously can't last.

Anonymous realmatt April 26, 2012 6:22 PM  

But his last name sounds Jewish!

Anonymous Alexamenos April 26, 2012 6:50 PM  

@fhl, 2:34 pm

Yep.

Anonymous Sheila April 26, 2012 7:31 PM  

FHL - since modern Egyptians have been shown, via genetic and DNA studies, to be totally distinct from and dissimilar to ancient Egyptians, you are correct in disclaiming enslaving the Hebrews and/or building the pyramids.

I read Sowell's book years ago, and found it one of his more unconvincing arguments. It is highly likely, however, that blacks took some of the social attitudes of the local Whites and grafted them onto their original African cultural habits. Similarly, while many claim Jazz is an authentically and originally black music form, it is obviously a derivative of English and Scottish folk songs. Listen to some, and view traditional clog dancing, and then listen to jazz and watch some black "steppin.'" They had no written language, no large domesticated animals like the horse, no wheel, no permanent architectural structures, and no musical scales or compositions but rather only percussive "music." They cannot and do not create anything (other than the Super Soaker, to be fair here).

Anonymous No_Limit_Bubba April 26, 2012 7:45 PM  

@KentuckyPackrat: I think you are exactly right or as we Scots/Irish/German/Italian/etc folks 'representin" S. Carolina say, "What he said!"

Anonymous FHL April 26, 2012 7:57 PM  

@Alexamenos

I thought you said you were in Texas? "2:34 pm"? You're like four time zones off!
Thanks though!



@Sheila

Ah, but have you checked the Copts? The "Native Christian Egyptians" instead of those Islamic Turkish-raider hooligans who compromise 90 percent of our population?

Heh, but either way, it really doesn't matter. Even a white a person found out his ancestors were responsible for the worst slave crimes- he could not be held responsible, of course!

As for your account of the music, it is certainly most interesting. I've just stated the cultures must mix somehow, it seems impossible to maintain that they never crossed; that blacks born and raised on American soil, under the watch of Americans, working on American plantations, somehow preserved 100 percent of their African heritage and culture.

But don't say they cannot create anything- cannot and did/do not are two different things...

The Ethiopians- who were never taken as slaves, by the way, since they defeated all attempts at colonization by the Europeans (except for a very short period where the Italians left them spaghetti)- had kingdoms, and castles, and elaborate Christian churches carved into the very stone of the mountains.

But ya, Sowell's argument is interesting... but it is very questionable...

Anonymous cherub's revenge April 26, 2012 11:28 PM  

FHL :I'm still in the middle of the book, but does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Yeah, it's all BS. What Scots-Irish made Haiti into the violent hell-hole it is today? Or all of Africa for that matter.

Plus, the Black Belt of the Deep South is derived more from slaves owned by English descendants than Scots-Irish, so what's the story behind black pathology in Mississippi and Alabama as opposed to Tennessee and South Carolina?

Anonymous cherub's revenge April 26, 2012 11:31 PM  

Didn't Vox just post about white British women getting cliterodectomies?

No. Women in Britain. Not British women.

Anonymous Spectator April 27, 2012 12:02 AM  

"One book I read said they were so badass because they ate meat. The Highlands aren't exactly farm country, so they relied more on livestock as food sources. Lowlands got stuck eating mostly veg. They were also badass because they got so much practice fighting amongst themselves."

Cows were certainly a hot commodity in the Highlands. There was big business in both stealing and protecting herds belonging to the rich who owned them. (sometimes both being done alternately by the same men) Rob Roy McGregor being one who moonlighted at both.

Anonymous Toby Temple April 27, 2012 7:29 AM  

Stilicho said...
Your feelings matter less than a popcorn fart in a hurricane.
Bwahahahahahaha!!

Nice one, Stilicho! A popcorn fart in the hurricane...ahahaha

Blogger Mignon510 April 27, 2012 7:33 PM  

Could not let this pass:

Holla, April 26, 2012 1:19 PM:
"Excepting that the case isn't about Zimmerman, but about the police response to the killing of a black kid."

It looks like you're trying to imply the police brushed this under the carpet. But the police did respond. The police grilled Zimmerman for 5 hours after the shooting. This was after he was treated for his injuries. There were interviews of witnesses and analysis of 911 phone call recordings. Not to mention what other investigative actions that haven't yet been made public.

Based on your comment, I would say you have swallowed the media Koolaid hook, line and sinker. And you wonder why HBD proponents have traction?

Blogger mmaier2112 April 27, 2012 9:02 PM  

Holla, April 26, 2012 1:19 PM:
"Excepting that the case isn't about Zimmerman, but about the police response to the killing of a black kid."

Garbage. Utter garbage.

If a black neighborhood watch member had shot and killed what is - at best - a wanna-be gangsta, NO ONE would have given half a damn.

And usual race-baiting pricks wouldn't have ever been heard from.

Spare me your "colour-blind" rage. It doesn't fly.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts