ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2014 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Cannibal dreams and the SFWA

Laura Resnick, an SFWA member, waxed homicidal on SFWA President John Scalzi's blog:

Laura Resnick says:
August 17, 2012 at 1:12 pm
Whever I think “alpha male”… my daydream quickly becomes a Sweeney Todd nightmare in which I’m serving the remains to my dinner guests, disguised as some sort of heavy-seasoned stew beneath puff pastry, because I wound up killing said Alpha Male in sheer exasperation before sundown and need to get rid of the body….


Naturally, being an alpha male as per Roissy's definition, I felt a little uncomfortable reading this strange woman's fantasies about murdering and dismembering me. Seeing as some of my recent comments at John's blog, none of which involved violence, had been removed by John himself, I was a little surprised that Ms Resnick's comments were deemed acceptable and asked for clarification.

VD says:
August 21, 2012 at 9:08 am
That’s fascinating, Laura. It appears your female daydreams about the cannibalistic murder of alpha males are perfectly acceptable to the SFWA President here. Are male daydreams about raping “alpha females” equally acceptable to you, John? Or do we have to kill them first? I suppose it’s technically not rape if they’re dead. I don’t know about the cannibalism, though, and you know, Laura is really making me uncomfortable here….


It is more than a little troubling that the President of the SFWA is not merely free with his frequent accusations of assbaggery and other hurtful terms, but is now playing host to the murderously cannibalistic fantasies of certain SFWA members. It tends to raise the question: is John Scalzi still fit for the SFWA presidency when he maintains an environment that is so openly and violently hostile to men?

It is a painful question to ask, as I was a public supporter of Mr. Scalzi's candidacy. But his recent actions have rendered me a troubled and frightened former supporter.

UPDATE:

Why is Laura’s comment ok, but not The Deuce’s? I’m confused. Is this a gender bias thing?
Cuspidor says:
August 21, 2012 at 12:01 pm


John Scalzi says:
August 21, 2012 at 12:14 pm
Cuspidor: Because “slut” and “alpha male” are not equivalent terms in any number of ways. Making an argument that they are is an indication of a failure to understand language. Which is why this sort of word substitution is often neither useful, nor actually anything approaching clever.


VD says:
August 21, 2012 at 12:26 pm
They are equivalent terms in the most important way, John. They are both human beings. So, are we to conclude that you find the murder, dismemberment, and devouring of a certain subset of men to be acceptable, but the murder, dismemberment, and devouring of a specific subset of women to be unacceptable? Why do you find it acceptable for Laura to publicly fantasize about murdering, dismembering, and devouring men on your site, but it is not acceptable for The Deuce to do the same regarding women? For the purposes of clarification, is it acceptable for Laura to also publicly fantasize about murdering, dismembering, and devouring women? Would The Deuce’s comments have been acceptable if he, too, was fantasizing about murdering and cannibalizing men?


Which Mr. Scalzi, being the coward that he is, promptly modified: [Deleted because I don't have patience for VD's special brand of complete nonsense on this topic. Stay in your own pit of manstink, would you, Vox? There's a lad -- JS]

VD says:
August 21, 2012 at 12:32 pm
C-c-c-c-coward! I’ll be bringing this up in the SFWA forum, of course, Mr. President. Your behavior is wildly inappropriate for an official representative of our fine professional association.

Labels: ,

214 Comments:

1 – 200 of 214 Newer› Newest»
Anonymous Noah B. August 21, 2012 10:39 AM  

Cannibalism is creepy.

Blogger Shimshon August 21, 2012 10:44 AM  

Vox, you have a right to a comforting blogging environment. Sic the government on him!

Anonymous Josh August 21, 2012 10:46 AM  

Vox, don't be afraid. Fear is the mindkiller...

Anonymous Daniel August 21, 2012 10:53 AM  

Vox, you poor dear! Your feelings are valid. Fight the power and demand inclusion in the good ol' queens club. If they don't know how to keep their violent sex fantasies to themselves in mixed company, you'll just have to weep them into silence.

Also, your feelings are valid. Your feelings are valid. Your feelings are valid. And that fright you experience is a scar you will have to bear for the rest of your life. That alone should inspire them to rectify the situation by a) welcoming you with open arms (but not real arms, they might touch you unwantedly) and then by b) silencing themselves to avoid any future discomfort or scarring and then by c) leaving, so that their offensive presence doesn't further exacerbate the damage that has already been done to your mind and, by extension, your body.

Anonymous Welcome to Paradise August 21, 2012 10:56 AM  

It appears Scalzi frankly does not care what happens other dudes so long as he gets paid. He periodically punches his PC-Gestapo card with a nifty propaganda piece (usually on the Gawker network) every now and then, because it is needed to keep the money flowing. I can't completely blame him for it, because he's backed himself into a corner by alienating a lot of potential fans with the nonstop leftist orthodoxy. He now has to cater to some pretty disturbed folks.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't turn my back around that guy without expecting a shiv to the kidney, metaphorically speaking.

Anonymous Mr Green Man August 21, 2012 10:57 AM  

I'm glad this is out in the open, and we finally have a safe, inclusive environment to air these things. I have to see Scalzi's avatar over there when I follow a link. Let me tell you -- that makes me uncomfortable. He just looks like a creep. And, I know he may debate it or deny it, but that's just how I feel, so it's just how it is, he's a creep, and so -- do you think Scalzi would agree to abdicate and let an Eliza box run his blog instead? I know it would be more welcoming to me.

Anonymous Josh August 21, 2012 10:59 AM  

Maybe cannibalism is ok as long as you're eating a creeper

Anonymous Daniel August 21, 2012 11:00 AM  

Oh, and while you are at it, I can think of no better time to let them know that George R.R. Martin just happens, in fact, to be your bitch.

Anonymous Stilicho August 21, 2012 11:03 AM  

Are we to presume that Scalzi imagines himself as the rapee in his own rape fantasies given his predilection for vagi-centric views?

Blogger Positive Dennis August 21, 2012 11:05 AM  

Ha, ha.

Blogger El Borak August 21, 2012 11:08 AM  

The next SFWA election is sure to be the MOST IMPORTANTEST EVAR!

Anonymous Angel August 21, 2012 11:10 AM  

I like your style!

Blogger Crude August 21, 2012 11:14 AM  

By the way: can women be creeps according to Scalzi? Or is that a sex-specific title?

Anonymous Stephen J. August 21, 2012 11:18 AM  

Purely to be persnickety, isn't the definition of an alpha male someone who is confident enough not to be bothered by the threats of a woman? He may take prudent actions to forestall danger if he feels it necessary, but he will not allow his awareness of that possible danger to affect his choices beyond the absolute minimum necessary, or let them traumatize his emotional state.

Which puts Ms. Resnick's hypothetical Alpha victim in an odd quandary: Any man made uncomfortable by her threats, ipso facto, could not possibly be a legitimate target of them and therefore has no need to fear them; and any man who would be a legitimate target would not be made uncomfortable by them and thus will not be affected by the threats in themselves -- only by their own assessment of how likely said threats are to be followed by action.

Given that Mr. Scalzi himself allowed the comment, he evidently believes the threats are in fact no such thing -- merely hyperbolic, metaphoric expressions of Ms. Resnick's emotional reaction -- and thus is responding exactly the way an actual Alpha would.

I am moved to paraphrase C.S. Lewis, talking about humility: "If you have met an actual Alpha male, he may not have been anything like what you have imagined; he need not have been blatantly rude, or crudely dismissive, or openly leering at you. All you likely thought at the time was that he seemed like a cheerful, intelligent chap who knew what he was doing and did it well; if he had one flaw, it was that perhaps he didn't seem to take everything you said as seriously as you would have liked him to."

Anonymous Rantor August 21, 2012 11:35 AM  

@ Stephen, the paraphrase is brilliant!

So, at Scalzi's blog, creepers and Alpha's need not apply. So is it some kind of Beta/Lambda playground?

Blogger Nate August 21, 2012 11:37 AM  

What? Some chick has some unrealistic fantasy about taking me into her mouth?

The line starts back there honey.

Blogger IM2L844 August 21, 2012 11:40 AM  

It's fun to pop over there and poke them with a stick every now and again, but trying to engage them in any sort of substantive discussion is hopelessly exasperating. I have a fairly low tolerance threshold for people who refuse to address reason with reason.

The conversations over there go something like this:

Me: X=X

Them: Yeah, but A=B

Me: I thought we were talking about X

Them: Right. That's why we're saying A is to B as C is to D

Me: What the hell are you talking about?

Them: X, of course, with all it's ramifications about equality, bunnies and warm fuzzy black kittens, you [insert multiple obtuse and slanderous assertions accompanied by derogatory expletives here. Here. And here].

Me: Wha...? Oh, just forget it.

Anonymous Daniel August 21, 2012 11:40 AM  

It is well-documented that "Scalzi" is a portmanteau of the SCriveners cannibALiZIng party.

Anonymous Grendelizer August 21, 2012 11:44 AM  

Gawd, it's too much fun to toy with people like that, isn't it?

Anonymous NewAnubis August 21, 2012 11:53 AM  

Omega-Moo redux anyone?

Anonymous JI August 21, 2012 11:55 AM  

You nailed the label on this post, Vox. SFWA is indeed a freakshow.

Anonymous Orion August 21, 2012 11:58 AM  

"is John Scalzi still fit for the SFWA presidency when he maintains an environment that is so openly and violently hostile to men?"

But of course, because he has deemed you "creepy". Living in Scalzi's vision of utopia would be rather strange... if there was anyone left there besides him and some feminazis in the end. Good odds he would get voted out if he didn't finally go ahead with the operation.

Blogger The Deuce August 21, 2012 12:02 PM  

LOL, I copied Ms. Resnick's comment, and simply replaced "alpha male" with "slut" to see what would happen. The result? This:

[Deleted because I can't tell if it was a joke, in which case it was in slightly poor taste, or if it wasn't, in which case ick. This may be me being slightly oversensitized at this point in the thread -- JS]

The best comedy writes itself.

Blogger James Dixon August 21, 2012 12:07 PM  

I assume followup comments by Mr. Scalzi will be added, assuming he bothers to make any?

Anonymous Roundtine August 21, 2012 12:16 PM  

The best comedy writes itself.

A buddy of mine once had me rolling on the floor with parodies of liberals. He was really good at it, he had all the catch-phrases down, and then he would spin it into some absurd idea or theory. I complimented him, but he informed me that he was just repeating what he heard on NYC's NPR station.

Anonymous Scintan August 21, 2012 12:21 PM  

Oh, and while you are at it, I can think of no better time to let them know that George R.R. Martin just happens, in fact, to be your bitch.

Gaiman's words are sensible. They are also the reason I no longer buy or read books that are part of a series until the series is concluded.*


*Exceptions exist for series that aren't really series, but are more like shared world concept. Pratchett's works come to mind.

Anonymous alexamenos August 21, 2012 12:22 PM  

I’m serving the remains to my dinner guests, disguised as some sort of heavy-seasoned stew beneath puff pastry...

That's disgusting.

The best way to prepare an alpha male is surely grilled at a very high heat until medium rare, and served with some au gratin potatoes.

"puff pastry"....I'm deeply offended.

Anonymous Orion August 21, 2012 12:23 PM  

Took a brief look at Laura Resnick's titles (also saw a pic of her). She is the face of SFWA. I sense a selkie novel or series in the works from her.

Anonymous Orion August 21, 2012 12:26 PM  

Perhaps she got her culinary inspiration from her time researching her book "A Blonde in Africa". She may have ate the young lad on the cover with her so she could be more diverse.

Anonymous Randy M August 21, 2012 12:26 PM  

I suspect the commenter is herself disguised as a puff pastry.

Was that misogynistic?

Blogger The Deuce August 21, 2012 12:27 PM  

My comment pointing out that my previous comment was just Laura's comment with "alpha male" replaced with "slut" was also deleted, with the following explanation from JS:

"Because “slut” and “alpha male” are not equivalent terms in any number of ways. Making an argument that they are is an indication of a failure to understand language.

Which is why this sort of word substitution is often neither useful, nor actually anything approaching clever."

Blogger The Deuce August 21, 2012 12:30 PM  

Then Vox got a comment deleted that I didn't get a chance to read. And then I just posted a comment that will no doubt be deleted in the next couple of minutes:

Ah, so if Laura had referred to "cads" or "mansluts" instead of "alpha males" her comment would've been deleted then, I suppose. Joking about eating alpha males is fair game, but eating cads is right out, because they're just not equivalent terms! Or my comment would've been okay if I'd said "skank-hos" or possibly "promiscuous women." So I apologize. The idea of cooking and eating sluts is totally unacceptable. Promiscuous women, on the other hand, are best when seared to a golden brown and served over jasmine rice, and are well complimented by a white wine.

Blogger Vox August 21, 2012 12:34 PM  

Then Vox got a comment deleted that I didn't get a chance to read.

Oh, you can read it here. I saved it, of course. John is nothing if not predictable.

Blogger JDC August 21, 2012 12:41 PM  

Quote from J.S.: Deleted because I can't tell if it was a joke, in which case it was in slightly poor taste, or if it wasn't, in which case ick. This may be me being slightly oversensitized at this point in the thread

Did he actually pose a question to himself, and then answer it with "ick." I do believe that's worse that squee.

Anonymous Tallen August 21, 2012 12:45 PM  

Because “slut” and “alpha male” are not equivalent terms in any number of ways

But... but... this is an extraordinary claim and extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Blogger Spacebunny August 21, 2012 12:49 PM  

Of course (s)he's too busy to answer your question - it takes a lot of time to police a blog that closely and delete so many comments (and explain why you are acting like a little girl)

Anonymous Scintan August 21, 2012 12:51 PM  

Scalzi, from his blog:



Deuce, et al:

Guys, I realize you seem to think you’re making a point, but your point is a poor one, and mostly what you’re doing is pointing out that you’re sexist assbags who argue on about the eighth-grade level. I fully endorse your right to be sexist assbags who argue on an eighth-grade level. Just not here.



I find that to be a fascinating window into his mindset.

Blogger vandelay August 21, 2012 12:52 PM  

Are you really going to tattle on him to the SFWA for this? If so... why?

Anonymous Boogeyman August 21, 2012 12:52 PM  

Why all the hatin' on the long pork?

Pork chop's goooood

Bacon's gooood.

Blogger James Dixon August 21, 2012 12:56 PM  

> "Because “slut” and “alpha male” are not equivalent terms in any number of ways.

I guess I can grant the point. The closest common equivalent word for the way she was using it would probably be bitch.

Blogger Titus Quinctius Cincinnatus August 21, 2012 12:57 PM  

Naturally, being an alpha male as per Roissy's definition, I felt a little uncomfortable reading this strange woman's fantasies about murdering and dismembering me.

LOL. A real Alpha would have slapper her on the rump and told her to get into the kitchen and bake you a cake.

Anonymous Stilicho August 21, 2012 1:05 PM  

My comment pointing out that my previous comment was just Laura's comment with "alpha male" replaced with "slut" was also deleted

Try replacing "alpha male" with "self-important blogger" just to see if he'll fall for it, thinking that you're referring to Vox.

Or replace it with "puppies" and call him an anti-Obama raciss when he deletes it.

Anonymous Daniel August 21, 2012 1:13 PM  

Are you really going to tattle on him to the SFWA for this? If so... why?

Scalzi's the president for pity's sake. His Scalzism of condoning violence against a gender (including specific SFWA members) is in direct conflict with his duty to lead the "informing, support, promotion, defense and advocacy for its member writers."

His quashing of open discussion is even worse.

Trust me, he won't be the only member with a grievance. It is behavior like this among the guilds that has stopped people like me from even desiring to become a member. From the outside looking in, they are indistinguishable from girl's clubs, despite what their purported mission may indicate.

I do not believe that is the desired public face of the SFWA, and I'm quite certain there will be members asking Scalzi to kindly stop stabbing them in the back. His poorly formed opinion is one thing - his clearly partisan "guidance" of the "open" discussion is a much larger problem. It is impossible for him to distinguish his public, personal politics from his position as spokesman/leader of the SFWA. They are at odds.

It is one thing to be double minded: finding rhetorical murder to be acceptable while finding rhetorical discomfort to be deplorable, but publicly condoning sex-based murder jokes while banning members of the public and of the organization you publicly lead for criticizing sex-based murder jokes should always be relevant to the member organization.

Scalzism at its worst is pretty nasty pr for the SFWA, no matter how you slice it. If I were a member (although I, unlike Vox, am really not a joiner!) I'd report it, too, and let the members handle it with full knowledge.

I kind of knew this might be the trajectory of Scalzi's clubbish presidency, and he would have had to have been universally reviled and destructive to have done worse than his predecessor, but I can't say I'm surprised.

Anonymous Orville August 21, 2012 1:15 PM  

Not that it really matters, but I've decided to not read anything from Scalzi henceforth.

Anonymous Pablo August 21, 2012 1:16 PM  

You win this thread my friend!

Blogger The Deuce August 21, 2012 1:18 PM  

Aww, it would appear that I'm IP blocked :-D. Well, here's the comment I tried to send:

"Guys, I realize you seem to think you’re making a point, but your point is a poor one"

Do you? So then, what's the point you think we're trying to make, and why is it a poor one?

Also, just for future reference, could you possibly name a single female term with which it is acceptable to make cannibalism jokes? We've got it on good authority that it's okay to make cannibalism jokes about "alpha males", but not about "sluts" or "promiscuous women," and that the problem here is merely one of equivalent terminology and not that cannibalism jokes about men are okay while ones about women aren't (since that would be sexist, which you've assured us you aren't!). So, if you're not a sexist and it's all about terminology, surely you can think of just one female term about which cannibalism jokes are cool, yes? Bitch? Beeotch? Queen Bee? Help me out here!

Blogger swiftfoxmark2 August 21, 2012 1:19 PM  

This is typical behavior just about everywhere on the Internet. If the administrator of the comment section doesn't like your comments, they get deleted. It is a common aspect of the egomania that encompasses most people who start these kind of mediums of debate. They don't like being contradicted, caught in error, or otherwise called out on their complete and utter horse-excrement. So instead of admitting that the person has a valid point, they just delete comments and ban users.

I've been banned from Ann Coulter's forum, Covert Conservatives, and letfreedomringtrue for such reasons. This is largely why I stick to just blogging and commenting on blogs I like these days. I don't care to challenge others because MPAI.

Anonymous Angel August 21, 2012 1:21 PM  

Can you verify for sure that it is HIM writing the blog and not a female intern or even his wife or something? I would just hate to have a little hobby blog that he had and asked his wife or intern or something to check on throughout the day while he was off doing something else get shipwrecked like this.

Basically, as a Chick, I am finding it really hard to believe this is actually a male typing this stuff.

I am willing to stand corrected. But even my toddler Son tells all the females in this house to knock it off regularly. Shesh!

Blogger Spacebunny August 21, 2012 1:24 PM  

His quashing of open discussion is even worse.

I disagree with this point. If he was doing it on an SFWA sponsored/supported blog, then yes. But he has every right to delete or ban commenters on his own no matter how utterly ridiculous it makes him look.

Anonymous Angel August 21, 2012 1:24 PM  

Thank God Vox is a Christian. Could you imagine what he would do to people where he not restrained :)

And it is terrifyingly fun to watch.

Anonymous Pip August 21, 2012 1:25 PM  


I think the manosphere is pretty silly, but it is entertaining and sometimes even witty. Scalzi is as far from both of those as the heavens shall allow. So I rode to VD's defense (you're welcome) with the following over at his weary tomb of a site:

John:

"Because “slut” and “alpha male” are not equivalent terms in any number of ways. Making an argument that they are is an indication of a failure to understand language."

Pip:

"Sadly, this doesn't parse. Address VD's point, please. As with the childfree spamming at an earlier stage in your (what passes for a) career (I suppose), you show yourself to be one of the most irritatingly craven sorts with your unfunny, unbearably unwitty neener-neener sniping, followed by whining "why so serious" passive aggressive defensiveness, and comment deleting and editing. My two older step-bros, rig-hands both, would probably use the word "punk" to describe you when you act this way.

While "slut" and "alpha male" may describe different nouns, the fact that you edited one while allowing the other is both pathetic and revealing. So much of the so-called "manosphere" is mockworthy, but while you may mean well, ultimately you're an untalented and embarrassing ally no one wants."

I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't get out of moderation.

Blogger vandelay August 21, 2012 1:29 PM  

Scalzi's the president for pity's sake. His Scalzism of condoning violence against a gender (including specific SFWA members) is in direct conflict with his duty to lead the "informing, support, promotion, defense and advocacy for its member writers."

Fair enough. Vox can approach it any way he likes and good luck to him.

By the way, for anyone wondering where Scalzi's getting this stuff or if you think this is the height of pussified progressivism, check out Freethought Blogs, home of PZ Myers. Scalzi's posts are just the tip of the ridiculous radfem iceberg.

Anonymous The Anti-Gnostic August 21, 2012 1:34 PM  

People use the term "slut" too freely. "Slut" would refer to women who are actually having sex with cads (alpha or otherwise). Most feminists are not sluts; they are eunuchs. Laura Resnick, for example, is a large, unattractive female whose sexual market value has always been low. Now that she's 50, forget it. She has practically zero ability to excite sexual desire in a man. Her only interest in feminism at this point is to dissuade nubile females from doing what she could not: make a baby with a desirable male.

Anonymous Heh August 21, 2012 1:35 PM  

If Laura Resnick met an actual alpha male, she'd be too busy making him a sammich to think about making him into a sammich.

Blogger vandelay August 21, 2012 1:36 PM  

Man it does NOT take much to get yourself banned over there. Though I admit to some amateur trolling attempts.

Anonymous Daniel August 21, 2012 1:36 PM  

Spacebunny

I disagree with this point. If he was doing it on an SFWA sponsored/supported blog, then yes. But he has every right to delete or ban commenters on his own no matter how utterly ridiculous it makes him look.

Don't disagree one bit: he has every right to look the buffoon with shallow and incorrect opinions in public. What I meant by that behavior "being worse" is that it is even more unbecoming of the SFWA president to not only hold poorly thought-out opinions, but to be so smugly certain, defensive and censorial in their defense.

I don't doubt Scalzi's right to practice open dingbattery: in fact, that is one of the things I've always found entertaining about him - he's so reliably willing to go there and dance. Most of his type are so dour and dull. He is readable and fun, if reliably wrong. I just meant that it looks like the SFWA has yet another clown at the helm. Whether that is true or not, I couldn't say - I'm not privy to membership conversations. Perhaps he's building an architecture to benefit authors in many important new ways on the inside.

From the outside, though, he looks a lot like Major Kong, hooting on the bomb.

Anonymous Josh August 21, 2012 1:41 PM  

Scalzi is clearly an assbag.

Does he yell "squeee!" Whilst clicking the "delete" button to remove an offending comment?

Anonymous Noah B. August 21, 2012 1:42 PM  

To call such behavior childish would be slander against most children. Lurking beneath Scalzi's thin veneer of intellect is one twisted, deranged individual.

Anonymous Angel August 21, 2012 1:42 PM  

You know, the Deuce had a point so I posted it in my own special way (the kiddos are eating right now, so I had a minute to play LOL).

Here it is because I doubt it will make it up there very long.

Mr. Scalzi,
As a female reader I would like to ask a quick question since I am curious and a solid defender of the rights and opportunities of my co-patriots.

Is there a single female term with which it is acceptable to make cannibalism jokes?

You have allowed a women to make a cannibal joke, but have not allowed several male commenters to make the same joke.

Why are you reluctant to hold Laura to the same standard as the male commenters?

That is offensive, sexist and completely intolerant!

She is a strong, independent women. Are you insinuating that your male commenters can take your rules but if you were to impose them on your female commenters they would dissolve in tears? Do we need to be coddled? Is this really where we are now? It is like all our work has been for nothing!

Surely there is an EQUAL term for a female that acts and is EQUIVALENT to a male that meets the standards for an "Alpha". We have the right to be a FALPHA if we want to. And not only do we enjoy fun banter, we can defend our own when we engage in it. Am I right Laura?

I demand that you not only recognize this but allow the male commenters (who are clearly only engaging with Laura because they see her as an equal and are treating her as such) to enjoy the fruits of interacting with strong, independent women.

FALPHAS RULE!
And Sir, your "assbag" comments are a bit...creepy. Since when is an "ass" ever a bag? And what exactly are you looking to put in it?

Just sayin.

Thank you,
A Strong, Proud FALPHA

Anonymous Josh August 21, 2012 1:44 PM  

What if we replaced "alpha male"with "joo"?

Anonymous FALPHA (formerly Angel) August 21, 2012 1:47 PM  

FALPHA for LIFE BABY!

Now where is my Husband, I am going to slap him on the ass and tell him to make me a sammich!

Yeah baby!

Blogger Spacebunny August 21, 2012 1:48 PM  

What is the over-under of the women posting in defense of The Deuce's and Vox's comments being called sock puppets or something, if they are not outright deleted?

Anonymous Sun Xhu August 21, 2012 1:51 PM  

I am betting on them being deleted with some PA/snark comment.

Anonymous Holla August 21, 2012 1:52 PM  

Vox got Spacebunnied.

Anonymous Holla August 21, 2012 1:52 PM  

Spacebunny Said:
|"Of course (s)he's too busy to answer your question - it takes a lot of time to police a |blog that closely and delete so many comments (and explain why you are acting like a |little girl)"

Wait, really? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Anonymous Josh August 21, 2012 1:52 PM  

There is no way any woman would ever want any man to ever talk about eating a woman. Never. Cosmo is lying.

Anonymous Dingus August 21, 2012 1:53 PM  

I love it!  I just went and ordered Scalzi’s “The God Engines”.  I’ve not heard of the guy before, but anyone who get Theo to go into priss mode deserves a chance.

Anonymous Randy M August 21, 2012 1:55 PM  

You ilk are hillarious. I'd go check out that thread if I expected to be able to find any of your comments left there.

Blogger Spacebunny August 21, 2012 1:55 PM  

Good grief, did Holla get dumber? It's hard to imagine, but there you are folks.

Anonymous Holla August 21, 2012 1:57 PM  

Methinks the Spacetranny doth protest too much.

Anonymous Josh August 21, 2012 1:59 PM  

What if we chopped up holla and stewed him in a pot?

Or is his stupid contagious if you eat his flesh?

Anonymous The Anti-Gnostic August 21, 2012 2:00 PM  

If Laura Resnick met an actual alpha male, she'd be too busy making him a sammich to think about making him into a sammich.

I disagree with this. I'm 48, and know a lot of peri- and post-menopausal women. Without a very good combination of genetics and effort, most women are sexually invisible by age 40 and they know it only too well. They don't respond to men, they don't hang out with men because they know most men will just look right thru them and find a polite (or impolite) way to go chat with some more enticing females across the room. Resnick has probably been experiencing this since, well, forever.

Feminism for the female eunuch-class is a way to dissuade more nubile, sexually attractive women from outbreeding them.

Anonymous Holla August 21, 2012 2:02 PM  

My delectable brown flesh is not for eating, Josh.

It's for loving.

Anonymous Josh August 21, 2012 2:06 PM  

Josh says:August 21, 2012 at 1:48 pm[Deleted because "slut" is not an equivalent term for "women" -- JS]

Apparently Scalzi doesn't have a sense of humor...

Anonymous Stickwick August 21, 2012 2:06 PM  

What is the over-under of the women posting in defense of The Deuce's and Vox's comments being called sock puppets or something, if they are not outright deleted?

He's responding to the women's comments and leaving them unmolested, but deleting the men's comments around them.

Anonymous kh123 August 21, 2012 2:07 PM  

Notice that as time goes on, they're getting bored sitting at their local Starbucks commenting on John Silverlake Scalzi's echo chamb... blog. Comment section here's getting some of the runoff.

Anonymous Josh August 21, 2012 2:08 PM  

My delectable brown flesh is not for eating, Josh.It's for loving

Are you flirting with me? Because I'm not your type, seeing as I am not an altar boy.

Anonymous Heh August 21, 2012 2:11 PM  

I'm 48, and know a lot of peri- and post-menopausal women. Without a very good combination of genetics and effort, most women are sexually invisible by age 40 and they know it only too well.

If they encountered a 50-something alpha they'd be making him a sammich fast enough.

Anonymous Stickwick August 21, 2012 2:12 PM  

If they encountered a 50-something alpha they'd be making him a sammich fast enough.

Yeah, but making him a sandwich out of what?

Anonymous Josh August 21, 2012 2:15 PM  

No one wants to be sandwiched in between two aging feminists.

Except Hillary.

Blogger The Deuce August 21, 2012 2:19 PM  

Stickwick:

He's responding to the women's comments and leaving them unmolested, but deleting the men's comments around them.

Which is even better, since it's the one thing he can do to best prove us right. All he had to do to prove the points being made about him wrong was to not do or say anything.

Anonymous Holla August 21, 2012 2:19 PM  

Sorry, Josh, but fantasizing about eating Holla is about as homoerotic as you can get.

I was referring to Holla's flesh as strictly for the ladies.

It is amusing that you would feel sexually threatened by my brown beef, however.

Now go jack off with your SPF100. Jebus will forgive you if you ask him real hard.

Anonymous Stickwick August 21, 2012 2:22 PM  

Spoke too soon, Deuce. His patience has worn thin with my commentary (I'm MaggieHoulihan), and I've been invited to no longer comment there. A woman disagrees with him, and he shuts her down. How alpha-male of him.

Anonymous Daniel August 21, 2012 2:23 PM  

Dingus, please tell me you flipped through The God Engines before buying it. It is very short and absolutely not worth the $20 if you bought the paper version. It is so short that I forgot I read it, and it isn't Scalzi's best -not close. Return it in exchange for Old Man's War, if you want to give yourself the best intro to Scalzi.

I read God Engines a long time ago, and thought Scalzi had been possessed or pressed for deadlines: I don't even count it as books of his I've read (because I forgot about it!). If I recall, it has something to do with religion being really bloody and dangerous in space, and the hero being confused about it. Sort of a horror book, with Count Floyd as the pope, if the pope was not religious and Count Floyd was not funny.

Anonymous Josh August 21, 2012 2:24 PM  

Holla is threatening to not have sex with me...

Now I know how Vox feels...

Anonymous Michael Maier August 21, 2012 2:26 PM  

Stephen J: I am moved to paraphrase C.S. Lewis, talking about humility: "If you have met an actual Alpha male, he may not have been anything like what you have imagined; he need not have been blatantly rude, or crudely dismissive, or openly leering at you. All you likely thought at the time was that he seemed like a cheerful, intelligent chap who knew what he was doing and did it well; if he had one flaw, it was that perhaps he didn't seem to take everything you said as seriously as you would have liked him to."

So what is this paraphrased FROM?

Anonymous Michael Maier August 21, 2012 2:27 PM  

Stickwick: You don't count. Some of us have previously put forth making you an honorary man.

Anonymous Salt August 21, 2012 2:32 PM  

Hey Vox, I do hope you washed your hands after deflated that assbag a bit more. One of these days he may just go poof! and disappear.

Anonymous The Anti-Gnostic August 21, 2012 2:35 PM  

If they encountered a 50-something alpha they'd be making him a sammich fast enough.

Except they won't encounter him. Take a look at these photo's. And here's a photo of the LCWR dingbats.

What you see in those photo's -- that's the fate of young women who can't or won't habituate themselves to men. They get to hang out with all the other old, insane women.

Anonymous patrick kelly August 21, 2012 2:44 PM  

Henceforth the definitions of coward, lazy, and punk will include "see John Scalzi" with a link to this thread.

Anonymous cluth August 21, 2012 2:46 PM  

Of course, Laura Resnick looks like a man in drag.

Anonymous Daniel August 21, 2012 2:50 PM  

Oh that's funny Stickwick. I went over there to find that even his justifications have justifications. He really doesn't like his dumb notions getting paraded around naked, but he hates when it is women who are doing the pointing and laughing.

I'm waiting for him to break out his next defense by making a plaintive cry and screaming "Shrinkage!"

Anonymous Josh August 21, 2012 2:51 PM  

Space bunny:

Doc Rocketscience says:August 21, 2012 at 2:41 pm
Sitting here watching this, I wish I could tell if we’re seeing a sudden influx of dude-bros or sock puppets. And I’m not sure which would make me sadder.

John Scalzi says:August 21, 2012 at 2:41 pm
Doc Rocketscience:Why not both?

Blogger Markku August 21, 2012 2:52 PM  

screaming "Shrinkage!"

Haha, I knew exactly what the video would be, and it's just some episode in just some TV show.

Clearly too few people are talking about shrinkage.

Blogger Shimshon August 21, 2012 2:53 PM  

Laura looks like she already dismembered and ate...something...but certainly no alpha male, who would no doubt keep far, far away from someone that ugly and masculine.

Blogger Robert S. Oculus III August 21, 2012 2:56 PM  

@ swiftfoxmark2 August 21, 2012 1:19 PM: This is typical behavior just about everywhere on the Internet. If the administrator of the comment section doesn't like your comments, they get deleted.

You're right.

But not at my blog. I publish verbatim every comment I receive. I don't see the point of inviting discussion when one doesn't intend to actually discuss anything.

The only reader comments I would delete would be those that contained spam, advertising, or pornographic content. I would also delete any comment advocating violence or other unlawful activity; comments containing legally actionable content (e.g. copyright violations, libel, etc.); and unfunny trolls. (Funny trolls are allowed.)

I must admit that I enjoy receiving hate mail. Flak means you're over the target. Far-Left and far-Right nuttery, angry feminism, fabulous faggotry, and just plain old "i h8 u u r stupid STFU" are all welcome.

Anonymous Mrs. Pilgrim August 21, 2012 2:56 PM  

WTF is with all the cannibalism jokes nowadays? Even before the Miami attack, it was starting to get bad, and now it's everywhere. And people aren't even fazed by the fact that it's happening for real! They're just like, "Oh yeah, that happened," and it's right back to taking a bite out of crime by eating prisoners or whatever the popular wisecrack is today.

Other abhorrent acts found acceptance through gradualism, and one step I've observed in other matters is that humor will frequently get used to take the horror out of it.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this is proof that people have no hearts anymore, or whether we're truly on our way to "humanitarian" finding a new meaning, but either way, getting outta Dodge might be just as good an idea. Last thing I want is to get whacked so some bigot can make Irish soda bread to avenge an insult...

Blogger Markku August 21, 2012 2:59 PM  

WTF is with all the cannibalism jokes nowadays?

I think people are at least subconsciously seeing that there is absolutely no way that the economical near future doesn't lead to widespread cannibalism.

Anonymous Mrs. Pilgrim August 21, 2012 3:01 PM  

Also, "assbag"? I'm sorry, but insults should have some snap, some clever visual attached to them. All I see when I hear or read "assbag" is a fanny pack.

Really, if he's going to be insulting, he might at least try to be deliberately entertaining, instead of only accidentally. He's such an amateur.

I'd leave this on Scalzi's site, but WordPress hates me and won't let me comment.

Anonymous Mrs. Pilgrim August 21, 2012 3:04 PM  

I think people are at least subconsciously seeing that there is absolutely no way that the economical near future doesn't lead to widespread cannibalism.

Must be why they're pushing for universal health care; kuru is a bitch without meds.

Anonymous Randy M August 21, 2012 3:05 PM  

ha, "Fanny pack". So, even his insult of choice brings to mind pear shaped middle aged or later women.

Anonymous Shild August 21, 2012 3:07 PM  

"C-c-c-c-coward!"

Why the stutter?

Blogger IM2L844 August 21, 2012 3:08 PM  

I think assbag is supposed to be clever spin on colostomy bag, but I don't think John actually realizes that.

Anonymous Stilicho August 21, 2012 3:11 PM  

Last thing I want is to get whacked so some bigot can make Irish soda bread to avenge an insult...

You really do have to keep a weather eye on those spud-sucking bog hoppers.

Anonymous scoobius dubious August 21, 2012 3:12 PM  

I probably don't really understand what all this fuss is about, but I do think that the whole on-going internet conversation about "alphas" and "betas" (Alfalfas?) and "gammas" and "omegas" and whatever other parts of the Greek alphabet (Yoiks! THERE IT IS AGAIN!! "ALPHA-BET[A]"!! BOTH TERMS IN ONE!! ZOMG, THE MAYANS WERE RIIIIGHT!!!11!!) turn you on, has become really sort of tedious.

In real life, most of the people I know are "alpha" about some things, and "beta" or whatever else about other things, usually the things they care less about. And the people who insist on being "alpha" about everything are... tedious. I don't find it an interesting way to classify people, or relate to them. People who spend their time worrying about this sort of taxonomy bore me, the way that druggies always bored me when I was a kid: the pot-heads and junkies and other assorted druggies always spent way too much of their time figuring out how to score, and then what to do once they scored, and all the tedious rituals of ingesting their particular drug, and Christ it was a snore, so I got away from all of them as quickly as I could.

Drunks, at least, are generally funny -- whether intentionally (often) or not.

Anonymous Vidad August 21, 2012 3:16 PM  

Aww.... even Taylor showed up over there to mock Scalzi.

What a glorious trainwreck. Ms. Resnick needs to cut down on the chocolates and pastry, methinks.

I'm not sexist... much... but I'm definitely prejudiced against fatties.

FATISS!!!

Blogger Spacebunny August 21, 2012 3:17 PM  

WTF is with all the cannibalism jokes nowadays?

First of all, holy crap did Mrs. P just swear?! And to address the question, presumably because Lorena Bobbitt jokes have run their course.

Anonymous Josh August 21, 2012 3:22 PM  

I'm not sexist... much... but I'm definitely prejudiced against fatties.FATISS!!!

I think the correct term is

SIZEISS

Anonymous Shild August 21, 2012 3:27 PM  

Slightly OT, but I don't get how Scalzi's post justifies sexism (or any other type of "-ism"). IIRC, his purpose was to advise people on how not to be "creepers" in social situations (taking social advice from someone you've never met is probably ill advised, but whatever). To that end, he informed his reader that "you don't get to define other people's comfort level with you".

As I recall he wasn't advocating the exclusion of "creepers", nor does pointing out that other people may be uncomfortable with you for whatever reason automatically justify an official policy of excluding you.

Anonymous realmatt August 21, 2012 3:30 PM  

Pit of Manstink..

He's almost worse than PZ.

Blogger Vox August 21, 2012 3:32 PM  

This is hilarious.

[Deleted, not because she disagrees with me, but because she crossed the stupid line, and I told her she was done -- JS]

This may amuse only me, considering how John and I first met, but I love that Scalzi just DELETED A FEMALE PHYSICIST. And a real one, not one who teaches lesbianism in Hindu film.

Anonymous bw August 21, 2012 3:33 PM  

Purely to be persnickety, isn't the definition of an alpha male someone who is confident enough not to be bothered by the threats

Purely to be persnickety, isn't the definition of a truly equal female someone who is confident and capable enough not to be bothered by the threats, yet must actually face them in all things equal, just as males do, in a level playing field environment of ideas, free speech, and free association?
Nothing like needing special rules in order to "be equal!" - see "gender", "race", etal.
Some are apparently more equal than others.

What's so great about calling out fascist, lying, nature-haters like this?
Cuspidor sees it. He knows something's wrong. He wants to come to the light. Individs and watershed moments are what it's all about.
Run for the StrongHold, Cuspidor!

Anonymous Daniel August 21, 2012 3:36 PM  

Shild
"C-c-c-c-coward!"

Why the stutter?


Because he's frightened, Shild. Scalzi's creeping him out, and Scalzi, by his own metric, ought to behave accordingly, otherwise, not only does he hold to a double standard in the name of equality, but he's a hypocrite in behavior, to boot.

You don't understand. Vox is going to have to bear the memory of this violation at the groping internet hand of the Master of Assbags for the rest of his life. You'd stutter, too if it had happened to you.

Anonymous Randy M August 21, 2012 3:46 PM  

"Slightly OT, but I don't get how Scalzi's post justifies sexism (or any other type of "-ism")."
It doesn't justify it, it justifies free assembly, which could be used for sex exclusionary or other badwrong purposes, if he were intellectually honest enough to extend it to people he disagreed with.

Anonymous Daniel August 21, 2012 3:49 PM  

Realmatt
He's almost worse than PZ.

I totally disagree. Scalzi's funny enough and self-aware of his superficiality to never cross that uncanny valley into plodding self-seriousness. He tends to pilot madly into debates, unaware that he's out of ammo and in a fog, and realizes that mugging for the spectators is about as reasonable finish as he can hope to achieve. Myers goes down in flames, face plants, and whines "That didn't hurt!"

PZ is infinitely more grating. Scalzi's a gas. He looks like the Magician's Apprentice, who thinks the best way to control the brooms is by sticking them squarely up his assbag. It's pretty funny when the narrative goes marching exactly where he doesn't want it to go, with him perched precariously at the top of the handle.

There's nothing he can do at this point but get stomped on by the women he thought he could speak for and pretend that they are touching him.

Anonymous Stickwick August 21, 2012 3:51 PM  

This may amuse only me, considering how John and I first met, but I love that Scalzi just DELETED A FEMALE PHYSICIST. And a real one, not one who teaches lesbianism in Hindu film.

That's what you get when you cross the stupid line. Then again, I may or may not be a sock puppet.

Anonymous Shild August 21, 2012 3:54 PM  

"it justifies free assembly"

How so? "people ought to be free to associate with whomever they choose" does not follow from "you don't get to define other people's comfort level with you".

I just don't see how general advice on how to make a better impression in social situations is supposed to justify any legal or moral principle, inadvertently or otherwise.

Anonymous realmatt August 21, 2012 3:55 PM  

Daniel

I meant with his gayness. His gayness is almost as bad as PZ's.

Blogger Markku August 21, 2012 3:57 PM  

Slightly OT, but I don't get how Scalzi's post justifies sexism (or any other type of "-ism"). IIRC, his purpose was to advise people on how not to be "creepers" in social situations (taking social advice from someone you've never met is probably ill advised, but whatever). To that end, he informed his reader that "you don't get to define other people's comfort level with you".

As I recall he wasn't advocating the exclusion of "creepers", nor does pointing out that other people may be uncomfortable with you for whatever reason automatically justify an official policy of excluding you.


I went and read the original message. I'd say, yes, if I read it giving him the benefit of the doubt, his principle is reasonable. He is just saying, don't keep talking to women that you have reason to believe not to enjoy talking to you and give them personal space of at least an arm's length. Had he simply pointed that out when challenged, none of this would have happened.

However, the events after that have turned out vastly more amusing than what the initial message promised.

Anonymous Stilicho August 21, 2012 3:58 PM  

This is hilarious.

[Deleted, not because she disagrees with me, but because she crossed the stupid line, and I told her she was done -- JS]

This may amuse only me, considering how John and I first met, but I love that Scalzi just DELETED A FEMALE PHYSICIST. And a real one, not one who teaches lesbianism in Hindu film.


You are correct, it is hilarious. As for the "stupid line" I have no doubt that Scalzi knows where it is, he just fails to realize which side of it he is standing on.

Anonymous Josh August 21, 2012 3:59 PM  

That's what you get when you cross the stupid line. Then again, I may or may not be a sock puppet.

Or a "dudebro"

Is it just me, or do all the invented words that they use over there sound incredibly gay?

Squee, assbag, dudebro...

Anonymous Randy M August 21, 2012 4:01 PM  

How so? "people ought to be free to associate with whomever they choose" does not follow from "you don't get to define other people's comfort level with you".

Well either women have to put up with creeps, or women get to exclude creeps (or, reason forbid, we could have objective standards based on actual behavior and not feelings).

Blogger Markku August 21, 2012 4:02 PM  

Squee, assbag, dudebro...

The next word in my Scalzi bingo is "bromance".

Anonymous Stilicho August 21, 2012 4:03 PM  

Stickwick, if you would just refer to yourself as a "physicista" I'm sure you'd be taken seriously by plumbing uber alles crowd.

Blogger James Dixon August 21, 2012 4:13 PM  

> Well either women have to put up with creeps, or women get to exclude creeps...

And since a creep is, by the definition used, someone the woman doesn't like, then men also get to exclude women they don't like. And that then applies to groups as well as individuals, since groups are merely collections of individuals.

Anonymous Mrs. Pilgrim August 21, 2012 4:13 PM  

"C-c-c-c-coward!"

Why the stutter?


All I thought of when I saw that bit was this.

Anonymous Josh August 21, 2012 4:17 PM  

And since a creep is, by the definition used, someone the woman doesn't like, then men also get to exclude women they don't like. And that then applies to groups as well as individuals, since groups are merely collections of individuals

No, that doesn't work, because someone might get their feelings hurt. By someone I mean other than white heterosexual Christian males. Because they aren't allowed to have feelings.

Anonymous Mrs. Pilgrim August 21, 2012 4:17 PM  

First of all, holy crap did Mrs. P just swear?!

I reserve it for special occasions.

And to address the question, presumably because Lorena Bobbitt jokes have run their course.

It's the new leading edge of edginess, I guess.

Anonymous Shild August 21, 2012 4:17 PM  

"Well either women have to put up with creeps, or women get to exclude creeps"

That's pretty tenuous. As I said, he was giving general advice, not advocating official policies or principles. If he had said "you can't control what other people do, so don't let it bother you", it wouldn't justify anarchist revolution.

Anonymous WinstonWebb August 21, 2012 4:26 PM  

If he had said "you can't control what other people do, so don't let it bother you", it wouldn't justify anarchist revolution.

No, but it would justify apathy toward anarchist revolution. Much like his actual commentary justifies (read: ENCOURAGES) apathy in the face of feminine double-standards.

Anonymous Heh August 21, 2012 4:27 PM  

No, that doesn't work, because someone might get their feelings hurt. By someone I mean other than white heterosexual Christian males. Because they aren't allowed to have feelings.

Yes they are!

They are allowed (required!) to have many feelings:

- awe (at the greatness of women and minorities)
- contempt (for racists, misgynists, and capitalists)
- contentment (in their role as open wallets)
- disgust (at racism, sexism, and social injustice)
- distrust (of the motives of other white males)
- embarrassment (that their ancestors were racists)
- gratitude (that women exist as moral exemplars)
- guilt (that they bear the ineradicable stain of racism and sexism)
- hatred (of racists and sexists)
- joy (when they Man Up in accordance with female dictates)
- loathing (of creepers who Make Women Uncomfortable)
- pity (for the victims of racism and sexism)
- shame (that they benefited from white privilege)

etc. etc.

Anonymous Randy M August 21, 2012 4:28 PM  

Shild,
you may be right, I didn't read it. I'm basically just describing Vox's take on it, which you can get more accurately by reading his other post on it.
I took a look at the Whatever blog and found it rather boring, all in all. Too high cat/content ratio, I guess.

Anonymous willneverpostagain August 21, 2012 4:30 PM  

What the hell is it with creepy Gammas and Lambdas being the President of everything?

Anonymous Stickwick August 21, 2012 4:33 PM  

Squee, assbag, dudebro...

When you list them all together like that, it's nauseating. Humanists are basically idiot children, so not surprising that their lingo tends toward the asinine.

Stickwick, if you would just refer to yourself as a "physicista" I'm sure you'd be taken seriously by plumbing uber alles crowd.

I'd be accused of sock puppetry. No way would any educated female agree with the Manstink crowd.

Anonymous HH August 21, 2012 4:37 PM  

The Deuce says "Aww, it would appear that I'm IP blocked :-D. Well, here's the comment I tried to send:"

try --- http://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2007/08/24/tip-getting-around-an-ip-block/.

Lost of ways around an IP block

Anonymous Azimus August 21, 2012 4:40 PM  

Reading this post, Philippians 4:8 comes into my mind.

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. KJV"

Also

Proverbs 26:4 "Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him."

Walk away man. This kind of skirmishing sears the soul. There can be no victory here.

Blogger Spacebunny August 21, 2012 4:41 PM  

It's the new leading edge of edginess, I guess.

For when threatening to emasculate just doesn't cut it.

Anonymous Shild August 21, 2012 4:41 PM  

"No, but it would justify apathy toward anarchist revolution."

It most certainly would not. That example is a piece of general advice for maintaining tranquility - it doesn't mean that you are not permitted to care about anything anyone else ever does in any context.

Similarly, pointing out that you can't control other people's reaction to you does not justify any action they may take to exclude you. I don't think Scalzi ever said that women get to exclude creepers.

Blogger James Dixon August 21, 2012 4:42 PM  

> Lost of ways around an IP block

Sure. But why bother. They're not worth that much trouble.

Anonymous duckman August 21, 2012 4:42 PM  

But his recent actions have rendered me a troubled and frightened former supporter.

ROTFLMMFAO

Bravo, Vox.

Anonymous WinstonWebb August 21, 2012 4:54 PM  

That example is a piece of general advice for maintaining tranquility - it doesn't mean that you are not permitted to care about anything anyone else ever does in any context.

Perhaps you forgot the example you used?
"you can't control what other people do, so don't let it bother you"

To me, that sounds very much like "you are not permitted to care about anything anyone else ever does in any context". After all, if I can't control it, then it shouldn't bother me.
You made no exception in your sample defense of Scalzi.

Anonymous Grendelizer August 21, 2012 4:59 PM  

Gawd, it's too much fun to toy with people like that, isn't it?

Blogger JDC August 21, 2012 5:12 PM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Anonymous Josh August 21, 2012 5:14 PM  

Scalzi:

Also, mind you, it’s not deleting dissension, of which there is quite a lot of all over the site. It’s deleting comments I deem too racist/sexist/obnoxious/stupid to tolerate. This is, of course, all noted in the comment policy, which I assume everyone reads before they post. That these posts may also contain dissension is often correlated — who knew I would hold positions that racist/sexist/obnoxious/stupid people might not like? — but not causative.

Anonymous Shild August 21, 2012 5:14 PM  

"To me, that sounds very much like "you are not permitted to care about anything anyone else ever does in any context". "

I don't think you quite understand the concept of "advice". The advisor tells the advisee which actions to take in order to bring about desired results. General advice, being "generalized", is not meant as an exhaustive, unbreakable rule for all situations; only a guidline for the situations that the advisor believes are most likely for the advisee. Moreover, giving advice does not imply that compliance is or ought to be mandatory.

Anonymous WinstonWebb August 21, 2012 5:23 PM  

I don't think you quite understand the concept of "advice". The advisor tells the advisee which actions to take in order to bring about desired results. General advice, being "generalized", is not meant as an exhaustive, unbreakable rule for all situations; only a guidline for the situations that the advisor believes are most likely for the advisee. Moreover, giving advice does not imply that compliance is or ought to be mandatory.

I very much understand the concept of "advice", but I appreciate your expansion on the concept nonetheless. Upon reading your definition of "advice", and re-reading Scalzi's post in question, you will find that the two have little in common.
Scalzi is DICTATING, not advising. Therefore, your analogy fails.

Anonymous Suomynona August 21, 2012 5:26 PM  

Scalzi is an unctuous snake, and not a very intelligent one at that. He knows he hasn't a leg to stand on, so he feigns superiority, boredom - any excuse to delete all comments exposing his leftist inanity, hypocrisy, and fascism.

But, I can't complain. Being banned from a blog where the likes of Scalzi, that feminazi cannibal cunt, and all those other bootlicking manginas entertain their leftist delusions was actually quite welcome. Engaging zombie retards in any discussion is always a complete waste of time.

Anonymous Shild August 21, 2012 5:32 PM  

"Upon reading your definition of "advice", and re-reading Scalzi's post in question, you will find that the two have little in common.
Scalzi is DICTATING, not advising. Therefore, your analogy fails."

I just re-read it. As I expected, he was not dictating, but was giving advice on how not to be a creeper in response to a request for just that. If you maintain that he is dictating to his readers and that his advice justifies sexism, I think we'll just have to agree to cordially disagree.

Anonymous Chesticle August 21, 2012 5:34 PM  

Good gravy; I went over for a little while to Scuzzi's site. Ick indeed.

He should rename that site to Estrofest or Vagapalooza.
Or maybe Vagapaloser...

Yeesh.

Anonymous WinstonWebb August 21, 2012 6:00 PM  

he was not dictating, but was giving advice on how not to be a creeper in response to a request for just that.
Actually, I should have said DICKtating.

Scalzi:
2. Acknowledge that you don’t get to define other people’s comfort level with you. Which is to say that you may be trying your hardest to be interesting and engaging and fun to be around — and still come off as a creeper to someone else. Yes, that sucks for you. But you know what? It sucks for them even harder, because you’re creeping them out and making them profoundly unhappy and uncomfortable. It may not seem fair that “creep” is their assessment of you, but: Surprise! It doesn’t matter, and if you try to argue with them (or anyone else) that you’re in fact not being a creep and the problem is with them not you, then you go from “creep” to “complete assbag.” Sometimes people aren’t going to like you or want to be near you. It’s just the way it is."

Tell me, Shild, what kind of behavioral advice includes instructions such as: "sucks for you", "[your intent] doesn't matter" and "it's just the way it is"? Scalzi is not giving advice here. Instead, he is justifying one set of perceived poor social behavior ("bitchiness") over another one ("creepiness").

Scalzi tells us that females are allowed to arbitrarily assign the label of "creep" to a random male ("sucks for [him]"), regardless of his intent ("Surprise! It doesn’t matter"), and said male needs to just deal with it (It’s just the way it is).
He's not giving advice. He's being a DICK to someone that (presumably) already feels awkward.


Anonymous nordicthunder August 21, 2012 6:01 PM  

""C-c-c-c-coward!"

Why the stutter?

All I thought of when I saw that bit was this."



I thought of this and laughed loudly (sorry no link)



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAgLhr6sHtc

Anonymous Suomynona August 21, 2012 6:02 PM  

But I have to admit, insulting leftists is fun, if only for a short time, just long enough to confirm what I've observed to be their predictable reaction.

When confronted with simple logic or truth, leftist scum will point and shriek like body snatchers at discovering someone who has not been replaced by a copy of a mindless, Politically Correct useful idiot like themselves.

Anonymous Scintan August 21, 2012 6:20 PM  

Testing.... all my posts here seem to keep disappearing, and I don't think I've pissed Vox off lately....

Anonymous Scintan August 21, 2012 6:22 PM  

testing.... all my posts seem to keep disappearing, and I don't think I've pissed Vox off lately.

Anonymous Scintan August 21, 2012 6:23 PM  

testing... all my posts seem to be disappearing from here, and I don't think I've pissed Vox off lately

Anonymous The other guy August 21, 2012 6:23 PM  

>>Naturally, being an alpha male as per Roissy's definition, I felt a little uncomfortable reading this strange woman's fantasies about murdering and dismembering me

>>being an alpha male as per Roissy's definition, I felt uncomfortable reading this woman's fantasies about murdering and dismembering me

>>being an alpha male, I felt uncomfortable reading this woman's fantasies about me

>>being an alpha male, uncomfortable reading woman's fantasies about me

>>alpha male

>>uncomfortable reading woman's fantasies

Anonymous Scintan August 21, 2012 6:26 PM  

Ok, so either google.com or google analytics need to be in force in order for posts to remain up with this comment system. That sucks.

Anonymous Mrs. Pilgrim August 21, 2012 6:26 PM  

Anonymous, your posts probably keep disappearing because you're anonymous. Just pick a name, no matter how crazy.

Anonymous Shild August 21, 2012 6:43 PM  

"Tell me, Shild, what kind of behavioral advice includes instructions such as: "sucks for you", "[your intent] doesn't matter" and "it's just the way it is"?"

The poorly worded kind, perhaps? Doesn't matter, really, it's still advice no matter how abrasive the tone.

Please note that I'm not saying that Scalzi's advice is good, only that it doesn't justify sexism.

As for this:

"he is justifying one set of perceived poor social behavior ("bitchiness") over another one ("creepiness")."

Pointing out that other people may dislike you does not condone or justify their dislike. Besides, I don't begrudge women their right to reject unsatisfactory companions, since I also exercise that right (as, I expect, do you when confronted with an obnoxious leftist, for instance).

"He's being a DICK to someone that (presumably) already feels awkward."

True, very true, but it still doesn't justify sexism.

Blogger vandelay August 21, 2012 6:55 PM  

Any chance Scalzi ever engages Vox or similar critics on this topic anywhere outside of the safe confines of his own blog?

Blogger Vox August 21, 2012 7:04 PM  

Any chance Scalzi ever engages Vox or similar critics on this topic anywhere outside of the safe confines of his own blog?

Only if he's forced to by the SFWA....

Blogger Vox August 21, 2012 7:17 PM  

my posts keep disappearing...

Because you keep posting as Anonymous. Pick a name, any name.

Blogger Vox August 21, 2012 7:22 PM  

Please note that I'm not saying that Scalzi's advice is good, only that it doesn't justify sexism.

Of course it does. It justifies every ism. Re-read my original post again. Scalzi is defending the right of free association. Which would be good, except that he doesn't really believe in it and only believes it applies to women in certain circumstances. That's why he started going crazy with the deletions as soon as I pointed out how his advice sounded when applied to anyone besides creeps. He knew he'd been caught out.

Substitute "Jew" for "creep". Or "gay". Or, as Scalzi himself suggested, "droid". And his "false equivalence" defense merely demonstrated that he doesn't understand the concept of a variable. The rest of the structure of the equation doesn't change regardless of whether we declare X=2 or X=300.

Anonymous stg58 August 21, 2012 7:24 PM  

Wow, Scalzi is a huge fag.

Blogger Vox August 21, 2012 7:40 PM  

Following John's latest anal-related obsession - he's now into calling people "shit stains", I left him the following comment:

John, John, don't you see? YOU'VE become the stain on the SFWA. Seriously, do you not understand what a horrendous job of representing a professional organization you are doing when you call people "shit stains" and "assbags" simply because you disagree with them? Didn't anyone tell you that there is a certain amount of decorum expected of the SFWA president?

You're not just embarrassing yourself, you are embarrassing the organization. If I wasn't so amused by this, I'd almost be appalled at myself for setting you off in this way.

Anonymous Cheddarman August 21, 2012 7:47 PM  

In the spirit of the failed 2012 presidental campaign of Rick "Every now and then, you gotta take one for the team (and by team I mean Vox and the Ilk)" Santorum, I volunteer to eat miss Resnick.

sincerely,

Cheddarman

Anonymous The Gray Man August 21, 2012 7:50 PM  

John Scalzi is providing some comic relief today that I needed.

I only wish this could go on for a few more days.

Anonymous Godfrey August 21, 2012 7:50 PM  

LMAO... is this Scalzi a little child? How old is he? Is he a boy of seven?

We have to face the fact that we inhabit this planet with morons. Irrational hypocrites surround us. How can you rationalized with people who’ve abandoned reason?

However it is very amusing to laugh at them. Do you suppose that that is their purpose?

Anonymous Suomynona August 21, 2012 7:57 PM  

Seriously? I'm brought up as some kind of troll. My comments were intelligent, direct responses to the insults and BS directed at me by Scalzi and his other little goons. I'd like to think that a more obnoxious, lying bunch of eunuchs and twats would be hard to find, but any leftist blog would probably be a carbon copy. Such is the state of this devolving world.

Vox, I'd much prefer you just beat the living hell out of Scalzi. A war of words with an intellectually dishonest hypocrite like Scalzi has no purpose.

Anonymous Josh August 21, 2012 8:08 PM  

Taylor, Vox isn't going to don a white suit of armor and fight your battle for you

Anonymous Godfrey August 21, 2012 8:19 PM  

I disagree. I find the war of words with Scalzi to have a very important purpose. Many among the readership find it very entertaining. I've been chuckling since it first appeared.

I suggest someone post a picture of Scalzi in Court Jester garb. He was made for the role. Dance amusing fool… do a silly little dance for us.

Blogger James Dixon August 21, 2012 8:22 PM  

> I volunteer to eat miss Resnick. ... sincerely, ... Cheddarman

Well, since Scalzi is ostensibly a science fiction author:

I'm sorry, I can't let you do that, Cheddarman. :)

Anonymous Suomynona August 21, 2012 8:25 PM  

Hey, Josh, you simpering retard. You must be projecting your own impotency here. The fact that I've never asked Vox to white knight for me on any other issue might be a clue that I wouldn't start now on the account of having my comments deleted by some leftist asshole like Scalzi. Seriously. You think more like petty little twat than I ever could.

Anonymous dice3510 August 21, 2012 8:40 PM  

Are you a Super Alpha, vox.

Or just Alpha.

Anonymous Scintan August 21, 2012 8:59 PM  

Because you keep posting as Anonymous. Pick a name, any name.

No, that wasn't it, Vox. I posted as Anonymous there to see if it would stay. I use Noscript and some other Firefox addons, and any post I would leave here was disappearing from the thread when I refreshed or left the thread. It only stopped when I enabled google.com and google-analytics.com (really odd, since I figured that it should have been permanent once it was posted on your site). I might have been able to narrow it down to one or the other, but I didn't see the need. If I'm stuck with one, the other will surely find a way to be a problem. That's Google, after all.

Blogger James Dixon August 21, 2012 9:03 PM  

> I use Noscript and some other Firefox addons, and any post I would leave here was disappearing from the thread when I refreshed or left the thread. It only stopped when I enabled google.com and google-analytics.com (really odd, since I figured that it should have been permanent once it was posted on your site).

I had the same problem, Scintan, and found the same solution. The various Google services have to be whitelisted for the posts to stay. I suspect that they're not actually getting posted at all but only showing up for the poster until that's done.


I volunteer to eat miss Resnick.

sincerely,

Cheddarman

Blogger Desert Cat August 21, 2012 9:05 PM  

GoogleBorg -- Resistance is Futile, You Will Be Profiled

Blogger James Dixon August 21, 2012 9:05 PM  

Rat's. Cheddarman's comment was still in my buffer and I didn't see it before I clicked on post. Apologies.

Anonymous Josh August 21, 2012 9:12 PM  

Bitch, please.

The fact that I've never asked Vox to white knight for me on any other issue might be a clue that I wouldn't start now

What do you call this:

Vox, I'd much prefer you just beat the living hell out of Scalzi.

Anonymous Spectator August 21, 2012 9:13 PM  

Let's you and Vox fight?

Blogger James Dixon August 21, 2012 9:15 PM  

Of course, further research has revealed that the word I actually wanted to use was probably ostentously rather than ostensibly. However, that word is apparently so obsolete that even my wife didn't know it, and I have no idea where I would have picked it up. But I think it's the word I was trying to remember (it's modern equivalent is apparently ostentatiously). Both are somewhat appropriate to the sentence, though their meanings are completely different.

Well that's what I get for trying to show off my vocabulary and not being able to spell the words, especially on Vox's blog. :)

Anonymous Suomynona August 21, 2012 9:36 PM  

Josh, Josh, you butt-ugly little ankle biter. How you delude yourself.

You conveniently failed to quote the second half:

A war of words with an intellectually dishonest hypocrite like Scalzi has no purpose.

To anyone other than a yapping little ankle biter like yourself, this would suggest that I am not asking Vox to beat up Scalzi for myself, but on principle.

Anonymous The other skeptic August 21, 2012 9:41 PM  

Acknowledge that you don’t get to define other people’s comfort level with you.

Scalzi should be congratulated for helping us to deal with annoyances:

Fudge packers, Acknowledge that you don’t get to define other people’s comfort level with you and your creepy practices.

Muslims, Acknowledge that you don’t get to define other people’s comfort level with you and your creepy practices.

Anonymous Idle Spectator August 21, 2012 9:46 PM  

Laura Resnick wants to eat me? I am traumatized...I go good with paprika and thyme though.


On a more serious note, I am sick and tired of the bullshit where all of society and every social interaction has to be restructured in order to make the woman feel good.

Easy divorce laws? So she feels good.
Unfair child support laws? So she feels good.
Lopsided rape laws? So she feels good.
K-12 education changed? So she feels good.
Title IX in the sciences? So she feels good.
Creeper titles? So she feels good.
Human Resources at work? So she feels good.
Allow them in the military? So she feels good.

Every year, it gets worse. When will it end? Economic collapse?


Am I going to have to quarantine myself to stay out of the path of destruction?

Anonymous The other skeptic August 21, 2012 9:49 PM  

And in other news the US Military is moving forward on plans to make it less effective

Also, the Navy would seem to have problems with the rampant feminization going on. After all, submarines will have to lose the penis look and take on a more vulva-like appearance. Sure, won't do much for stealt or speed, but sacrifices have to be made.

Anonymous zen0 August 21, 2012 10:16 PM  

I always enjoy the teaching moments.

Azimus August 21, 2012 4:40 PM


Proverbs 26:4 "Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him."

Walk away man. This kind of skirmishing sears the soul. There can be no victory here.


Now, Azimus, I believe you are misinterpreting what is going on here. Vox is taking advantage of a teaching moment. Josh and Suomynona are indulging in what you advise against.

See the difference?

Anonymous Dr. Idle Spectator, UC Berkeley Sociologist August 21, 2012 10:17 PM  

This is where we are heading ultimately: a thing that upsets any woman will be bad, and therefore deemed wrong and illegal. Try learning that in your average sociology class.

These 18-30yo women are getting so bad Vox. You have no idea, since you're in Italy and graduated college in the early 1990s.

It's getting to the point where I want to scream, "I don't even want to have sex with you!" as I flee a bar inebriated. Then I run down the middle of the street waving my arms like I am on fire, like Richard Pryor when had that freebasing accident.


Nicolas Cage Punches A Woman Whilst Wearing A Bear Suit

Chariots of Fire music. Whewwwwww, okay I feel better now.

Anonymous The other skeptic August 21, 2012 10:30 PM  

Just like Sweden, America has been importing Muslim rapists

Anonymous tviper August 21, 2012 11:09 PM  

haha

Anonymous oregon mouse August 21, 2012 11:41 PM  

As terribly crass as it might be, from one woman to another, Ms. Resnick simply impresses me as needing to ditch the lesbians and get a good hard screw by a man. There I said it. I feel so much better now.

Anonymous TheExpat August 22, 2012 12:40 AM  

Spacebunny: "threatening to emasculate just doesn't cut it."

This should be framed.

Blogger Spacebunny August 22, 2012 1:44 AM  

Taylor, the only one derailing the thread is you. Do try to learn some self control.

Blogger Spacebunny August 22, 2012 1:49 AM  

Taylor, this thread is not about you.

Anonymous Suomynona August 22, 2012 1:53 AM  

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Anonymous Suomynona August 22, 2012 1:55 AM  

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Anonymous Suomynona August 22, 2012 1:58 AM  

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Blogger LP 999/Eliza August 22, 2012 2:00 AM  

Wow, I mean wow. It is so entertaining yet (disconnected from reality) starling to think that many men and women like Laura and Scalzi say these things!

Great responses Vox, too funny yet rather sad.

Anonymous Suomynona August 22, 2012 2:03 AM  

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Anonymous Azimus August 22, 2012 2:06 AM  

@ Zeno -

Agreed. VD's subsequent comments shed more light on the original intent.

Blogger LP 999/Eliza August 22, 2012 2:07 AM  

Vox: Following John's latest anal-related obsession - he's now into calling people "shit stains", I left him the following comment:

John, John, don't you see? YOU'VE become the stain on the SFWA. Seriously, do you not understand what a horrendous job of representing a professional organization you are doing when you call people "shit stains" and "assbags" simply because you disagree with them? Didn't anyone tell you that there is a certain amount of decorum expected of the SFWA president?

You're not just embarrassing yourself, you are embarrassing the organization. If I wasn't so amused by this, I'd almost be appalled at myself for setting you off in this way.

++

Fantastic response. While this week has remained rather gloomy this post returned some laughter to me

For being considered a smart man, it is unfortunate Sca used that kind of language. Like the guns and badge cat, it must be a psycho sexual elation thing...While I remain respectful of writers and the general blogosphere, but I lost even more respect for Sca. than previously before.

1 – 200 of 214 Newer› Newest»

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS. Anonymous comments will be deleted.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts