ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2014 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The real reason for the gun bans

"The first notable is that the two rates track closely, so that whatever is driving changes in the one is likely (but not certainly) driving changes in the other. The second remarkable feature is the abrupt increase in the turbulent 1960s, and the subsequent decline as the people responsible for these cultural excesses began to enter their 50s and 60s, and even to die off in the 2000s and 2010s. The percent in 2011 was the lowest on record.  I want to repeat that: The homicide rate in 2011 was the lowest on record since 1960."

Now ask yourself this question.  Since homicides and firearm homicides have already been dropping for more than 20 years with or without the assault weapons ban, why are various government officials suddenly so desperate to disarm the American people?

Karl Denninger explains the mystery:  "The people on the left are telling you in plain English that if you disarm you will be slaughtered.  Exactly as occurred in Germany, in Rwanda, in Guatemala and in countless other parts of the world.  These people are not anti-gun.  They are only against you being able to defend yourself against them, and they intend to kill you if you first disarm and thus make it possible for them to do so.  That's the history of the "anti-gun" people worldwide over the last 100 years and it is happening again right here, right now, today, in America."

He is right too.  No one ever wants to believe that their elected officials or their fellow citizens literally want to kill them.  But considering how many times it has happened throughout human history, and how many times it happened in the 20th century alone, the American people would have to be blitheringly stupid to imagine that those attempting to disarm them are doing so for any reason except to be able to kill them at will.

That doesn't mean they actively want to kill anyone today.  They merely want the option in case large quantities of people don't fall in line with their demands.

So, buy a gun today.  Buy one for your friend who won't get it until they can't be legally acquired anymore.  And don't let anyone take them from you, for any reason.

Labels:

165 Comments:

Anonymous The other skeptic January 16, 2013 10:01 AM  

Who provoked the war between Japan and the US

Of the participants, only one seems to be still standing in some sense.

Anonymous onejohn512 January 16, 2013 10:10 AM  

Exactly right.

Since they don't hesitate to kill innocent babies by the most brutal methods no one shouldn't believe they are willing and, with guns banned, able to kill those who disagree with their policies.

Anonymous Krul January 16, 2013 10:10 AM  

Now ask yourself this question. Since homicides and firearm homicides have already been dropping for more than 20 years with or without the assault weapons ban, why are various government officials suddenly so desperate to disarm the American people?

A good question. Why now? Does Sandy Hook make them think they can get away with it? That seems like an incomplete explanation, considering Virginia Tech, the Indian reservation, and Aurora were not followed by gun control pushes nearly this strong. Maybe it's the match of a Columbine-type massacre in the gasoline can that is a Democrat second-term presidency.

Karl Denninger explains the mystery: "The people on the left are telling you in plain English that if you disarm you will be slaughtered...they intend to kill you if you first disarm and thus make it possible for them to do so."

To be fair, his anecdotes don't really support that conclusion. They (all two of them) are merely juvenile taunts that don't suggest any actual plan to kill anyone. IMO Denniger comes off as a bit paranoid here.

Anonymous Dot connector January 16, 2013 10:11 AM  

"Don't fall in line with their demands..."

In that case it's a given leftists are murderers though with all their soft kills via economics,abortion,euthanasia,vaccines,etc.. it's pretty self evident. That also means Tad is a murderer in waiting and must be stopped.

Anonymous Josh January 16, 2013 10:13 AM  

Denniger comes off as a bit paranoid here.

Doesn't he always?

Anonymous Mutly January 16, 2013 10:14 AM  

Gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet don't you know.

Anecdotaly -- I know a number of liberals and they've really come unglued in the last few years. It's like years of repressed hostility are finally seeing a way to wreak havoc on all the people they don't like.

I think the other thing that's missing from the equation is while most of them want free thinkers dead they would prefer to try to get someone else to do their dirty work.

Anonymous Dot connector January 16, 2013 10:15 AM  

"Denniger comes off as a bit paranoid here."

And prescience is sometimes mistaken as paranoia.

Anonymous DrTorch January 16, 2013 10:17 AM  

Interesting speculation on what caused those 20th C increases in violence

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/01/lead-crime-link-gasoline?page=1

Anonymous Krul January 16, 2013 10:20 AM  

Note, Dot, that observing that the evidence presented does not support the conclusion offered is not disagreement with the conclusion.

Or, as they say, "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you" ;)

Anonymous Stilicho January 16, 2013 10:20 AM  

IMO Denniger comes off as a bit paranoid here.

Ignore the delivery, focus on the facts and logic and see where they lead you. What evidence do you have that would contradict Vox's conclusion:

But considering how many times it has happened throughout human history, and how many times it happened in the 20th century alone, the American people would have to be blitheringly stupid to imagine that those attempting to disarm them are doing so for any reason except to be able to kill them at will.

That doesn't mean they actively want to kill anyone today. They merely want the option in case large quantities of people don't fall in line with their demands.
?

Anonymous Alexander January 16, 2013 10:23 AM  

If someone takes you at your word, the burden is on you to prove you were lying.

It never fails to amaze that no matter how angry people get when you accuse them and theirs of lying, they get even angrier if you react as if they were telling the truth.

Anonymous Ridip January 16, 2013 10:27 AM  

DrTorch I know it's going OT, but just This Monday I was telling my wife that I never believed lead-based paint was a problem. I assumed it was misdirecting attention and rage away from the gasoline industry. Especially given that the switchover to unleaded gas happened about the same time.

Been asking around But javen found out yet. Anyone know what time the don't-kill-the-children circus airs tonight with our glorious ringmaster front and center?

Blogger Nate January 16, 2013 10:31 AM  

"Denniger comes off as a bit paranoid here.

Doesn't he always?"

No.

most of the time he just comes off as a moron.

Anonymous Mr. Pea January 16, 2013 10:32 AM  

They're not going to do a outright ban, just yet.

When an opponent declares, "I will not come over to your side," I calmly say, "Your child belongs to us already. . . . What are you? You will pass on. Your descendants, however, now stand in the new camp. In a short time they will know nothing else but this new community."

They squeezed your great grandpa, and here we are. They squeezed your grandpa, and here we are. They squeezed your dad, and here we are. They are squeezing you, and here we are. They are squeezing your children, imagine where they will be. And they will squeeze their children...

“Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?”

W.H. Releases Letters from Little Children Pleading for Gun Control

“I can certainly appreciate that at school, that’s not a type of play that they are going to endorse and I certainly support that, but that’s where we educate the time and place for doing things,” Kaine said.

It takes a village...

Anonymous Starbuck January 16, 2013 10:33 AM  

To be fair, his anecdotes don't really support that conclusion. They (all two of them) are merely juvenile taunts that don't suggest any actual plan to kill anyone. IMO Denniger comes off as a bit paranoid here.



To be fair my butt. There is no more "fairness". The bastards are demanding we give up our guns. I have seen leftwing after leftwing mock on the internet "We are going to shoot you and take your guns". Not once, not a few, but a LOT.

If they are knocking on your door, let loose a volley. Yes you will die. But it might spurr others to be stubborn.

Within a day of the sandy hook there were these people making these demands. They will kill you and your family to "save the children"

If you think the leftwings were looney before, you ain't seen nothing yet. You will see them turn blood thirsty. a certian portion of them who aren't like that (Tad perhaps?) will see what the leftists politics are truely about and it will probably horrify them.

Anonymous Anonymous January 16, 2013 10:35 AM  

Will someone please think of the CHILDREN!!!!

...talking about dead Russian and Chinese children specifically:
http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/MURDER.HTM

Blogger IM2L844 January 16, 2013 10:35 AM  

Buy one for your friend

I'm your friend!

Seroiusly, for some reason, people don't want to believe that those in political and finacial positions of power and influence could ever be motivated by evil intent. It's beyond their comprehension. All "public servants" must be motivated by altruist intentions. That can be the only rationale for them pursuing a career in the public service sector. And the super wealthy? Don't they all give millions to charity? They must all be really good people at heart. And what about journalists? Don't they all just want to report the truth wherever it leads. They must all be unbiased and without any interest in advancing a particular agenda.

Apparently, the general public wants to believe that these people are not subject to the same human condition as the rest of us. And, whatever you do, you should never ever even consider the possibility that small groups of them could ever get together and conspire to do evil. It simply can't happen.

Anonymous Choam Nomsky January 16, 2013 10:38 AM  

Do you really think after 100+ years of agitation, the "long march" through institutions, and fantasies of revolution and a "better world"...

...that the Left WON'T GO FOR IT...

This is their time.

The Revolution is now.

Anonymous Stilicho January 16, 2013 10:41 AM  

Hussein will appear to announce his power grab at 11:55 a.m. with his underage human shields around him.

Blogger James Dixon January 16, 2013 10:41 AM  

> Why now?

Because they know their time is short. Economic collapse is coming, and everyone can see it.

Oh, and this is for Tad, from http://southernnationalist.com/blog/2013/01/14/rush-limbaugh-us-left-wants-to-finish-off-the-south/

"Polls reveal that a quarter of Republicans across the United States want to secede while half of Georgia Republicans want independence from the US Federal Government."

Tell me again how small the movement is, Tad.

Anonymous . January 16, 2013 10:42 AM  

for some reason, people don't want to believe that those in political and finacial positions of power and influence could ever be motivated by evil intent.

If you think the Left has "good intentions" you are willfully deluded.

http://charltonteaching.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/evil-at-work-people-just-dont-get-it.html

Anonymous Josh January 16, 2013 10:44 AM  

most of the time he just comes off as a moron.

Morons can also be paranoid.

I bet Karl scores high on an aspergers test

Anonymous The other skeptic January 16, 2013 10:47 AM  

I think we have to ask what fundamental agenda is the Dark Messiah serving with this gun ban nonsense.

We can see in the actions of the EPA, for example, that the reason that the Dark Messiah does not want to dance the Hava Nagila is that he is beholden to Big Middle-Eastern Oil money.

So, who is calling the shots with respect to gun control? I suspect it is designed to distract from the debt and a simple case of opportunism.

Of course, if it is true that the Israelis organized the JFK assassination, then it is no wonder the Dark Messiah has moved to have himself protected for life.

Anonymous Anonymous January 16, 2013 10:47 AM  

I generally like Karl Denninger's stuff.

But then I remember Karl is an ex-Obama voter.

Anyone who ever voted for Barry Hussein is an idiot.

Anonymous Mr. Pea January 16, 2013 10:48 AM  

The Revolution is now.

The revolution has been. The revolution is. And the revolution will be.

Trauma based predictive programming works, why ruin a good thing?

Unless the people stand up now, well... pity your children. Of course, they'll probably look back on you and think, "What a bunch of Neanderthals."

Anonymous RINO January 16, 2013 10:52 AM  

Given the healthcare bill + future rationing, the secret kill lists, the multiple wars with increasing soldier suicides, the decrease in standards of living via economic incompetence, and the disarming of people trying to protect themselves, Obama will be in the running for the biggest killer of the 21st century.

Anonymous Elmer Fudge (friend of Sexual Chocolate) January 16, 2013 10:54 AM  

On the subject of killing...

This is the kind of talk (backed with action) that should scare the living shit out of a would-be dictator et al...

A Time to Kill

...especially the comments, from vets 80 years young...

Anonymous Krul January 16, 2013 10:58 AM  

> Why now?

Because they know their time is short. Economic collapse is coming, and everyone can see it.


As I read the Mother Jones article, another possible explanation occurred to me.

They can read crime statistics as well as we can. They see the dramatic drop in violent crimes, and know that if they don't act quickly to take advantage of this crisis, they may not get another chance. People are still used to thinking of modern (esp. urban) life as hellishly violent, but if the surprisingly peaceful state of the country persists and becomes common knowledge it will completely undermine the entire case for gun control. It's similar to the way that record low temperatures undermine the case for global warming.

You don't need gun control if people aren't getting shot, in other words.

Anonymous Mr. Pea January 16, 2013 10:59 AM  

On the subject of killing...

Yeah. I'm 53 years old. And how many times have I read stories like that in those 53 years?

Every time their is a little trauma, everything else is predictive.

It won't be the last letter written.

Meanwhile... the pin drops and no one hears it.

A little here, a little there.

The Long March.

Anonymous Krul January 16, 2013 10:59 AM  

So, who is calling the shots with respect to gun control? I suspect it is designed to distract from the debt and a simple case of opportunism.

Also this, and to distract from the Benghazi fiasco.

Wow, this gun control push accomplishes a lot for Washington.

Anonymous raggededge January 16, 2013 11:01 AM  

"Denniger comes off as a bit paranoid here.

Doesn't he always?"

No.

most of the time he just comes off as a moron.


He has his moments. Personally, I think he is right about the important stuff, ie guns and the economy headed straight for the shitter. So, I'm willing to cut him some slack.

Anonymous Elmer (just plain ole Elmer, ya know, like in yogert) January 16, 2013 11:03 AM  

Follow-up on previous...

Gee, is Ms. Roth here our own little tadpole? Inquiring minds would like to know...

Anonymous dh January 16, 2013 11:06 AM  

The homicide rate in 2011 was the lowest on record since 1960.

Liberals are thrilled about this. I know I am.

1. Because as of now, largely, homocides are problems in urban areas with lots of gangs and violent minority subgroups.

2. About 40 years of abortion and birth control on demand as eliminated many children, and now two generations of adults, that would have been born into horrible living conditions, that would continue to lead to bad social outcomes, including murder. All of society benefits from this. It also prevented many of the people responsible for the turbulence of the 1960's from reproducing, sparing society from their equally or more greatly turblent youth.

3. It shows that policy has an effect on quality of living. One the one hand you have those that claim government can do no good, only evil. Yet, on the other hand, you have decades of cumulative government policy reducing murder.

It's also comical how much these trends point against what we are always told here. Just a week ago, it was that the minorities in America with their violence and bad genes and bad culture were the reason for all the crime and murder. Now, homocides are down, at the same time that the share of non-Anglo Whites has been decreasing for decades.

Anonymous Carlos the Bunny January 16, 2013 11:09 AM  

Anyone reading the comment sections in political articles, should be very aware that most leftists/liberals, if they had access to a button that would incinerate instantly to ash, every conservative in America, they would push it without hesitation.

Anonymous patrick kelly January 16, 2013 11:10 AM  

It's looking like this to me now:

Obama will suggest congress pass legislation to "ban" scary lookin' rifles and hi cap magazines. After much grand standing and hand wringing, none of it will pass.

Obama will implement as many of his proposed executive orders in the highest visible manner possible, which really won't do much.

That way the repub-locrats in congress can tell the voters back home how they fought and defeated the evil gun control agenda, and Obama can posture he did everything in his power to save the children.

This time....... there will be a next time, and it will likely be worse.

Anonymous Mr. Pea January 16, 2013 11:10 AM  

Treason! Everywhere treason! Treason I say! Treason!

Bluster.

They play you like a fiddle. Have been for years. And they'll play you in accordance to your reactions.

Always a spoiler alert...

It is sad to see Americans worked like the gas prices at the gas pump.

“Oh thank god the price of gas went down!”

Anonymous Mina January 16, 2013 11:11 AM  

slightly off topic: looking for info on the Sig Sauer AR-15 M4 - finding a lot of info about the M400. Anyone have experience with that one? Features/benefits between the M4 and M400?

I wouldn't ask except I was chastised the other day for not consulting with the ilk here before parting with my hard earned cash on a new weapon .... ;-)

Anonymous Anonymous January 16, 2013 11:13 AM  

@ Dr Torch,

the peak in violence is probably attributable to the entry of cultural marxism.

then you have the vietnam war going on and people protesting that.

frenchy

Blogger Nate January 16, 2013 11:14 AM  

"I wouldn't ask except I was chastised the other day for not consulting with the ilk here before parting with my hard earned cash on a new weapon .... ;-)"

Now there's a smart lass..

Anonymous Gen. Kong January 16, 2013 11:15 AM  

No one ever wants to believe that their elected officials or their fellow citizens literally want to kill them. But considering how many times it has happened throughout human history, and how many times it happened in the 20th century alone, the American people would have to be blitheringly stupid to imagine that those attempting to disarm them are doing so for any reason except to be able to kill them at will.

Do you somehow think that a people who cannot do anything apart from watch Dancing with the Stars and National Felons' League sports are something other than blitheringly stupid? They voted in droves for a Marxist Black supremacist, after all - even if the 'mostest important erection evaaahh' was rigged from the start (a real possibility). The alleged "opposition" party has already given the John Doe who goes by the name of Barack Hussein Obama unlimited power to torture and kill US citizens with no trial, no review, or no oversight of any kind. The Karl Rove / Neo-Trotskyite / John Boehner axis of pooftery still rules the party. The Tea Party is a bad joke, as is OWS. The purpose of this sudden push for gun control is just as you say. It is the only actual purpose of any gun control. The oligarch class and their nomenklatura want to liquidate all who oppose them - just as their predecessors did in the Vendée, in Armenia, in the USSR, in Nazi Germany, etc.

Anonymous patrick kelly January 16, 2013 11:16 AM  

Are you finding any for sale at less than 2x normal? If so, just buy now, ask questions later. Buy one of each.

( I know someone who recently bought a Sig AR, before the madness started ($800 out the door at Cabelas, likely never see those prices again), he loves it, I've seen it, held it in my hands, it's definitely and M4 patterned AR, what's not to like?)

Blogger Nate January 16, 2013 11:17 AM  

"He has his moments. Personally, I think he is right about the important stuff, ie guns and the economy headed straight for the shitter. So, I'm willing to cut him some slack."

he is the internet's leading Chicken Little. He screams the Sky is Falling tuesday!! Then wednesday shows up... and he acts like he never said it.

Anonymous Anonymous January 16, 2013 11:22 AM  

"Anyone reading the comment sections in political articles, should be very aware that most leftists/liberals, if they had access to a button that would incinerate instantly to ash, every conservative in America, they would push it without hesitation. "

Conservatives/libertarians are horrified by the implementation of silly liberal IDEAS. These silly ideas need to be stopped...

Liberals/Leftists are horrified by the very existence of conservatives/libertarians. These evil people need to be liquidated...

Anonymous dh January 16, 2013 11:26 AM  

He has his moments. Personally, I think he is right about the important stuff, ie guns and the economy headed straight for the shitter. So, I'm willing to cut him some slack.

I think he's by the far best writer that VD links to regurarly. Compare him to Glenn Reynolds, whose idea of indepth analysis is "Heh" followed by perhaps 1 sentence.

He has a little bit of the same problem as a lot of others, which is explaining how something is "the last straw", when nothing has changed, or is likely to change.

Anonymous Mina January 16, 2013 11:26 AM  

Video review

Here's a video about the Sig M4000, prices I am finding are in the $2500 range. That's pretty hefty for me, was hoping to stay $1500 or less.

Also that's a beefy looking piece of equipment. Can I carry and hold it properly long enough to get off a good shot?

I am ~ 120lbs, 5'1" and a power-lifter (very strong, athletic.)

What AR-15 model might be a good alternative that might fit my budget criteria that would be within my ability to handle effectively? Should I be looking beyond the AR-15 types?

Blogger jamsco January 16, 2013 11:32 AM  

I imagine that one reason Obama wants to create more gun control because he wants to look like a president who cares about protecting our children from evil men with guns.

So Vox, the fact that I think that makes me a 'blithering idiot'?

Anonymous Anonymous January 16, 2013 11:32 AM  

Mina,
Any AR-15 carbine model is easy to handle even for children. just don't load it up woth a bunch of crap like bipods, flashlights and laser pointers.

--Profesor Hale

Blogger Nate January 16, 2013 11:33 AM  

I wouldn't be looking at just AR types... but any AR is going to be light enough for you to throw around just fine.

Just yesterday I picked up a MSAR STG 5.56 with several mags and a tactical case for under 2k. Bullpup is a fantastic design.

Anonymous dh January 16, 2013 11:35 AM  

So Vox, the fact that I think that makes me a 'blithering idiot'?

It's all part of a mutli-decade conspiracy. Obama is clearing the way for some future person to do bad things to you.

Anonymous patrick kelly January 16, 2013 11:37 AM  

That M400 is not as heavy or scary as it looks. I don't have much use for the forward grip, but that's easily removed. But Yikes, $2500 !?!?!? If you absolutely need to buy one now, what choice do you have?

I hesitate to recommend a specific brand or source cuz' we will have an ilk frenzy discussing why they suk and what they have is a bazzillion times better. ;-)

If you're willing to wait a couple of months (current claimed backorder time frame last time I checked) and do the research you can probably order a lower delivered to a local FFL for transfer, and have the upper delivered to you and have a decent bare bones M4 patterned build for less than $1000.

If you're not up for that by yourself, find a gun nut buddy who is and get some help. I wouldn't trust your quest to online help alone.

Blogger Nate January 16, 2013 11:37 AM  

"
So Vox, the fact that I think that makes me a 'blithering idiot'?"

Its certainly a contributing factor.. but no... the blithering idiot thing is mostly related to your idiotic positions on calvinism.

Anonymous raggededge January 16, 2013 11:38 AM  

"He has his moments. Personally, I think he is right about the important stuff, ie guns and the economy headed straight for the shitter. So, I'm willing to cut him some slack."

he is the internet's leading Chicken Little. He screams the Sky is Falling tuesday!! Then wednesday shows up... and he acts like he never said it.


Yes, his timing is off, he needs to work on that. However, his reasoning that the economy will collapse is spot on.

Anonymous Stilicho January 16, 2013 11:38 AM  

he is the internet's leading Chicken Little. He screams the Sky is Falling tuesday!! Then wednesday shows up... and he acts like he never said it.

Indeed. It is quite annoying. Sometimes, however, it is more than just an acorn hitting him on the head.

Blogger Saeed Zia January 16, 2013 11:39 AM  

Latest Hot Entertainment News, Latest updata about Bollywood, hollywood, pakistani Girls
hotentertainnews.blogspot.com

Anonymous RINO January 16, 2013 11:43 AM  

I imagine that one reason Obama wants to create more gun control because he wants to look like a president who cares about protecting our children from evil men with guns.

That isn't the reason, that's just a bonus. When you take into account the entire context of his political career along with his Democratic allies in the senate it's obvious they has a deep resentment towards gun owners. In the Chicago senate Obama voted not once but twice against a bill allowing homeowners to defend themselves with a gun in response to a home invasion. Then there's the "bitter clinger" comments in 2008 further demonstrating the hatred. Add in Feinstein's "Mr and Mrs America ..." nonsense and it's quite obvious what they want to do and the reasons for doing so.

Blogger Nate January 16, 2013 11:44 AM  

"Yes, his timing is off, he needs to work on that. However, his reasoning that the economy will collapse is spot on."

He also told you not to buy gold.

He's an idiot.

Anonymous dh January 16, 2013 11:45 AM  

for more than 20 years with or without the assault weapons ban, why are various government officials suddenly so desperate to disarm the American people?
Because crazy people with weapons keep killing people in large groups all at once. It's not that hard to explain.

In the last two years there have been several high profile cases where crazy people get guns, and go on shooting rampages.

It's hard to keep having this debate when after each shooting, the only thing you people can focus on is that the shootings never happened, or that they were some sort of conspiracy.

Blogger jamsco January 16, 2013 11:45 AM  

"Its certainly a contributing factor.. but no... the blithering idiot thing is mostly related to your idiotic positions on calvinism."

Hi Nate!

So do you disagree with my statement: One reason Obama wants to create more gun control because he wants to look like a president who cares about protecting our children from evil men with guns.



Blogger James Dixon January 16, 2013 11:49 AM  

> Because crazy people with weapons keep killing people in large groups all at once...

This always happens, and always will happen. It's what crazy people do. And if they didn't have guns they'd just use their car or gasoline or some other readily available tool.

So lock up the crazy people. Just be careful that you aren't one of the ones defined as "crazy".

Anonymous Mina January 16, 2013 11:49 AM  

According to a 1997 landmark decision, the county sheriff is the ultimate law of the land and can STOP the enforcement of Federal laws within its jurisdiction.

County Sheriffs Can Block Federal Gun Control

Anonymous Noah B. January 16, 2013 11:51 AM  

"It's hard to keep having this debate when after each shooting, the only thing you people can focus on is that the shootings never happened, or that they were some sort of conspiracy."

People have explained endlessly that these weapons are often used in self defense and seldom used in crime and that they are necessary for the preservation of a free society, but you will not hear the truth. You repeat the same talking points and refuse to actually consider the benefits of armed self defense. Is it just too much for your little rabbit brain to process?

Anonymous DonReynolds January 16, 2013 11:52 AM  

People as a rule are not keen to form up ranks and attack each other. Conflict has a way of ending in ways that are difficult to predict. Even John Wayne gets killed in the movies.

So the happiest people are the ones who watch their enemies attack each other, because no matter what the losses on either side, the happy people find their enemies fewer and weaker. That has always been the tact of the Left (Communists) in this country. They have never had any formations of their own but have always focused on getting their opponents to do the heavy lifting for them. They bide their time converting the young and impressionable to the fun of being on the Left, painting their enemies as cruel and evil, and provoking conflict among their enemies whenever they can. They leave the wet work to the ethnic and racial minorities, whom they agitate and inflame. They set institutions (churches, scouting, media, charities, foundations) on paths and directions that conflict with the larger society. It all seems like chaos and anarchy at the time, but every time it is just another step to the Left. These Fabians can easily afford to be patient. They are after big game and every tiny success encourages them that their methods will ultimately be successful.

(Yes, I said the word "Communist". You rarely see the word any more. The press never mentions it. It is never used in schools. Many young people have no idea what it means. Polite society does not want to offend, so they never mention the word either. But when I was in East Germany in 2010, the Communist signs and symbols had been removed but it was still Communist East Germany.)

Anonymous Signe January 16, 2013 11:54 AM  

Heads up, guys. It's on.

Anonymous Mina January 16, 2013 11:54 AM  

"One reason Obama wants to create more gun control because he wants to look like a president who cares about protecting our children from evil men with guns."

I would agree with this, especially the "LOOKS LIKE" part.

The other reason is because he wants to disarm a significant segment of the civilian population and the first reason provides a great mechanism to do that.

Anonymous Fred January 16, 2013 11:58 AM  

Noah B. when this corrupt govt takes away everything..your rights, your money and you protest, you will be killed. Those with ARs will at least take a few of the traitors with them.
This is about the unadulterated truth of the 2nd amendment. There is no restriction on any firearm nor should there be, ever. Guns dont kill, people on psychotropic drugs do. Far better to ban them than to ban guns. Every mass murder in the last 15 years has been related to use of some drug, legal or not. Obama is the new Nero. We know how Nero ended.

Anonymous Signe January 16, 2013 12:00 PM  

Oh LORD, he's talking about letters from kids. Everyone knows kids think deeply about politics...

And yep, the kids are on the stage with him. Shameless.

The pitch is "for the children." Wait for it...

Anonymous Dot connector January 16, 2013 12:01 PM  

"According to a 1997 landmark decision, the county sheriff is the ultimate law of the land and can STOP the enforcement of Federal laws within its jurisdiction."

"The Sheriff can respond faster to any citizen’s complaint then any police department."

I have observed this. Once you get them on the case they are pretty active, city cops though *rolls eyes*.

Anonymous Stilicho January 16, 2013 12:02 PM  

Signe, those are human shields...people named Hussein have an affinity for them...

Anonymous Mina January 16, 2013 12:03 PM  

Of course - No acknowledgement that more citizens with guns has resulted in fewer "deaths by gun" everywhere gun carrying restrictions have been lifted.

The kids being on stage really kind of creeps me out ...

Anonymous Signe January 16, 2013 12:03 PM  

Background check system increasing. Emergency preparedness. Schools get more money for hiring.

CDC gets more money for studying violent video games. Gun violence has been labeled a disease.

23 executive orders...

Anonymous Signe January 16, 2013 12:04 PM  

Universal background checks for all gun purchases. Chilling effect, anyone?

Anonymous Cut and Pasting From DailyKos 2003 January 16, 2013 12:07 PM  



International ANSWER replies... "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

BUSH = HITLER

Anonymous raggededge January 16, 2013 12:08 PM  

Arggghhh...the 2nd amendment doesn't give a shit about hunters and sportsman.

Anonymous Signe January 16, 2013 12:08 PM  

Lawbreaking few inflicting harm on a massive scale? Okay, disarm the government, got it.

Anonymous Mina January 16, 2013 12:08 PM  

Notice "hire more police" didn't get any response from the audience at all.

Anonymous Anonymous January 16, 2013 12:09 PM  

The real reason for the gun bans...OBAMACARE!!

Press doctors to ask patients about guns in home... http://drudge.tw/11zwsvn

Anonymous Signe January 16, 2013 12:13 PM  

Did he just say "assemble peace-ifully"?

Anonymous Mina January 16, 2013 12:14 PM  

I'll have piece of mind dropping my kid off at school when I know the janitor, the principal and maybe his teacher are packing.

I don't understand why they get a free pass to ignore this entire thread of logic? They ignore exactly half of the equation, half the facts and make decisions only on the half they wish to consider.

It's criminal. It's not even adult behavior.

Anonymous Signe January 16, 2013 12:15 PM  

Oh wow, the smiles of the bereaved and Biden's fake pout are PRICELESS.

If they start singing "Amazing Grace", I'm going to detonate.

Anonymous Cryan Ryan January 16, 2013 12:16 PM  

There once was an alarmist who does shout,

Cuz on the web he has a small bit of clout,

But amid all his loud drama,

He pulled the lever for Obama,

Still alarmed, he screams his guts out.






Anonymous Anonymous January 16, 2013 12:16 PM  

Obama/Holder worked hand-in-hand with the Mexican mafia to run illegal weapons into the US. Google: "Operation Fast and Furious". That was quickly covered up -- hardly made the mainstream media.
After flooding the country with illegal weapons, all sold on the underground, black-market to criminals [all weapons untraceable ] -- now Obama wants to disarm law-abiding Americans
[read : White Americans]. No talk of disarming the black panthers, and other criminals. Keep that in mind.
White Americans are the focus for the gun grab.
If Uncle Sam manages to disarm white Americans, we will face a blood-bath.
It will make the racial violence of the 1960's look like a sunday school pinic. I'm old enough to remember the burning of the South Bronx in the late 60's-early 70's {I grew up in the Bronx}. It will be the South Bronx writ-large for white America.
Obama is a communist to-the-core.He was groomed by the communists for the presidency. He dances to his handler's tune -- and willingly and lovingly so.
The burning of the South Bronx, and other cities across the country in the 1960's, was planned, financed, and organized by the communist party in the US. The black panthers,for example, are a type of army for the communists.
All this information is online now. I would suggest to all readers to read up and study what our communist/leftist enemies have planned for us. The left is not about "peace,love,and understanding". The leaders of the left are outright, cold-blooded murderers.
If all this leads to massive civil disturbance, watch over and protect your children and your elderly relatives like hawks. The children and the elderly will be the first to be attacked and brutally murdered. Just like what happened in the South Bronx and other violent-ridden cities in the 1960's.
White Americans :If massive civil disturbance starts,take your children out of any integrated school [ especially if it's a public school] Immediately, and try, if you can, to bring your elderly relatives home with you, especially if they live in an urban area.
I saw first hand when I was a kid what the communists are all about. The South Bronx was a war zone. White children and the white elderly wiil be the first ones to be attacked and brutally murdered if there's massive civil disturbance. It already happened here in the States in the 1960's, and will happen again on a much larger scale if we are disarmed. Joe

Anonymous Signe January 16, 2013 12:18 PM  

...Did I miss him saying what the executive orders ARE?

Anonymous Anonymous January 16, 2013 12:18 PM  

1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.

4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.

10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.

11. Nominate an ATF director.

12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.

19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.

22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

Anonymous Mina January 16, 2013 12:19 PM  

He's not intending to send ANY of this through Congress. It's all going through as Executive Orders.

Anonymous Mitt R. January 16, 2013 12:24 PM  

What would Romney do?

(DUCKS...)

Anonymous Mina January 16, 2013 12:24 PM  

The NRA seems to have grown a little more backbone today

Blogger Giraffe January 16, 2013 12:25 PM  

What AR-15 model might be a good alternative that might fit my budget criteria that would be within my ability to handle effectively? Should I be looking beyond the AR-15 types?

http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles-autoloading-centerfire-mmr-tactical-semi-automatic-mmr-tactical/65014

Supposed to be around $700 according to the article I just read, and was very accurate. I doubt you'll find one for awhile. As you know, the party started a few months ago.

These AR's that are going for more than $1500 is someone gouging, or it is someone putting together a highly customized or accurized system that would be wasted on the average person. If you pay that much know why and what you are getting for it.



Anonymous Edjamacator January 16, 2013 12:25 PM  

I like the fourth "executive order": "Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks."

I wonder how long before "religious people (except Muslims)" and "Constitution fanatics" are placed into the category of "dangerous" people who shouldn't have guns.

Anonymous Signe January 16, 2013 12:26 PM  

"14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence."

Violence isn't crime. It's a disease. Maybe they can develop a vaccine for bullets.

Blogger Giraffe January 16, 2013 12:26 PM  

What would Romney do?

(DUCKS...)


He'd come out with his own ban, and half the Republicans in congress would jump in with him. I am so glad that turkey was sent packing now.

Anonymous Mina January 16, 2013 12:27 PM  

You DO have to wonder what Romney would have done.

It's a great question.

He was an empty suit and not really a man. But what WOULD he have done?

Anonymous Signe January 16, 2013 12:27 PM  

I like the fourth "executive order": "Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks."

"Quick, talk fast and maybe they'll forget about Fast and Furious."

Anonymous Signe January 16, 2013 12:29 PM  

I wonder how long before "religious people (except Muslims)" and "Constitution fanatics" are placed into the category of "dangerous" people who shouldn't have guns.

Yesterday?

Anonymous Stilicho January 16, 2013 12:31 PM  

He'd come out with his own ban, and half the Republicans in congress would jump in with him. I am so glad that turkey was sent packing now.

Someone should explain to those pastors who campaigned for Romney that the Lord works in mysterious ways

Blogger Giraffe January 16, 2013 12:32 PM  

He was an empty suit and not really a man. But what WOULD he have done?

Consider that he passed an "assualt rifle" ban while he was governor.

Anonymous JartStar January 16, 2013 12:33 PM  

He plans on fighting gun violence with bureaucracy apparently.

Blogger Giraffe January 16, 2013 12:36 PM  

He plans on fighting gun violence with bureaucracy apparently.

Yes. Just like everything else, he takes GWB's policy and biggens it up.

Anonymous Choam Nomsky January 16, 2013 12:36 PM  

"Consider that he passed an "assualt rifle" ban while he was governor. "

Would his political power come from Blue State voters ...or the NRA???

Sure, it's better we got Barry. Great job, let's all give each other handj0bs. And I'm saying this as a heartfelt Ron Paul supporter...

Anonymous Mina January 16, 2013 12:38 PM  

NRA has been busy making videos!!

Blogger Porter January 16, 2013 12:39 PM  

Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

I'm heartened to see rational sobriety from this administration. Holder will determine prohibited categories resulting from their demonstrated danger...So black males between 13-35 won't be permitted to own firearms. It's a common sense approach.

Anonymous Jack Amok January 16, 2013 12:39 PM  

When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."


It still works if they're selling us to themselves. They are our foes too, even if they live in our midst.

...if they had access to a button ...

Carlos is quite right about this. Something about Leftism seems to drive it's followers to bitter anger. Well, probably the "something" is that Leftism works by Groupism - divide society into Us and Them, hate Them, defeat Them, kill Them, sort the survivors into new Us and Them groups and repeat... It's a philosophy that maximizes death.

Blogger Conan the Cimmerian, King of Aquilonia January 16, 2013 12:54 PM  

Mina,

AR-15's see:

DPMS Panther Arms
Bushmaster

Anonymous JartStar January 16, 2013 12:55 PM  

The databases are already hosed up. Adding more departments will probably make things worse.

I'm surprised at no weapons/magazine bans which means he thought he'd lose in court over the executive orders and he thinks he can win in the legislature, or he thinks its just a losing proposition and he's throwing a bone to the anti-gun crowds to get back to golf.

Anonymous dh January 16, 2013 12:57 PM  

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.


Three things that actually could have prevented Sandy Hook slaughter. The mother of the alleged killer was in contact with all sorts of medical professionals regarding her mentally unstable son.

In retrospect it was probably not a great idea for her to teach her son how to shoot, and to store her weapons in a way that they could be stolen if she was not in the picture.

I was hoping for a waiver to allow medical professional to share medical information about patients with mental issues to caregivers and/or roommates.

Anonymous dh January 16, 2013 12:58 PM  

I'm surprised at no weapons/magazine bans which means he thought he'd lose in court over the executive orders and he thinks he can win in the legislature, or he thinks its just a losing proposition and he's throwing a bone to the anti-gun crowds to get back to golf.

I think he recognizes it's not going to fly/

Anonymous Anonymous January 16, 2013 1:00 PM  

TWITTER NEWSFLASH FROM MOVIE REVIEWER:

@ebertchicago The Second Amendment was ratified to preserve slavery. http://dld.bz/bZ3ja

Blogger Shimshon January 16, 2013 1:09 PM  

I've been trolling my old ultra-liberal college friends on Facebook. It's fun. Especially the women. One friend was just oh-so-upset on the one month anniversary of Sandy Hook and felt I was just too brash for pointing out that the US government probably perpetrates one Sandy Hook (or more, who knows?) PER DAY.

These people are so utterly, astoundingly clueless.

Every single time I make an eminently logical comparison between the astounding death and destruction wrought by the US government and the absolutely insignificant number of deaths at the hand mass-killings of this type, they practically in lock-step excuse the government (we just need to discuss or tweak policy, that's all, and other unbelievable tripe).

I wasn't expecting to convert anyone, but it is very informative to understand just how utterly indoctrinated and cold-hearted these types of people are. The US government murderous at its core? Oh no, it's just something we can discuss in Congress (even if nothing ever changes). A lone nutcase perpetrates what is even today an exceedingly rare mass-killing (I don't even bother raising the obvious questions about what really happened)? They literally can't sleep well at night (so they literally tell me) knowing there are just so many (presumably white, angry, male, and just so damned patriarchal too) armed meanies about.

Anonymous Signe January 16, 2013 1:09 PM  

Three things that actually could have prevented Sandy Hook slaughter.

16. What would be the purpose in asking whether there are guns in the home? Until he actually used them, there was nothing that anyone could do.

17. You're assuming they didn't know this already.

18. "School resource officers"? Is this defined somewhere?

Anonymous 11B January 16, 2013 1:13 PM  

It's also comical how much these trends point against what we are always told here. Just a week ago, it was that the minorities in America with their violence and bad genes and bad culture were the reason for all the crime and murder.

Is that wrong? Isn't it true that if you just take the white murder rate, the US is on par with Canada and Western European nations?

Anonymous Clay January 16, 2013 1:13 PM  

JartStar January 16, 2013 12:55 PM

I'm surprised at no weapons/magazine bans which means he thought he'd lose in court over the executive orders and he thinks he can win in the legislature, or he thinks its just a losing proposition and he's throwing a bone to the anti-gun crowds to get back to golf.


He did assign that particular task to Congress. Probably juse to hose the Repubs again.

Anonymous VD January 16, 2013 1:14 PM  

It's also comical how much these trends point against what we are always told here. Just a week ago, it was that the minorities in America with their violence and bad genes and bad culture were the reason for all the crime and murder. Now, homocides are down, at the same time that the share of non-Anglo Whites has been decreasing for decades.

They don't. Do you not understand how statistics work? But I'll put a post together on this just for you.

So Vox, the fact that I think that makes me a 'blithering idiot'?

Sadly, yes. You're swallowing the same sort of lies that the early Soviets and every other group of gun-grabbing rulers have told. Do you seriously not recognize the pattern here?

Jonah Goldberg likened it to the process of building a wall. "Oh, it's not a wall, it's just this one brick." At a certain point, if you're still denying that putting one brick on top of another is, in fact, the building of a wall, you are a blithering idiot.

And we are now at that point with regards to gun control. There is absolutely NO reason to justify any further government gun control given the facts at hand. None.

Anonymous Mina January 16, 2013 1:17 PM  

I met Karl Denninger in person when he owned his little internet company in downtown Chicago in the mid-90s. At the time, I had a little internet company of my own providing complimentary services to his.

I had occasion to visit his location quite a few times (don't remember why now) and I was super impressed with him. High energy, brilliant and it comes through in everything he does and says. I am not surprised how things have turned out for him.

I read his blog very regularly, have for years and also try to tune into his broadcasts when I can.

... and remember: Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.

Anonymous civilServant January 16, 2013 1:17 PM  

What would be the purpose in asking whether there are guns in the home?

It becomes a legal statement.

Anonymous dh January 16, 2013 1:18 PM  

They don't. Do you not understand how statistics work? But I'll put a post together on this just for you.

That would be interesting and appreciated.

Anonymous dh January 16, 2013 1:23 PM  

And we are now at that point with regards to gun control. There is absolutely NO reason to justify any further government gun control given the facts at hand. None.

This is just silly.

It's hard to even discuss this with you, because your position is that we should happily allow even the mentally derranged - who are literally foaming at the mouth - to buy whatever weapons the voices in their head. It's the gun runner perspective - people are animals, and we should let them be animals, and if I happen to sell a few guns in the course of the animals doing their business, well then just fine by me.

It's the same story with felons and people previously convicted of gun crimes - you recognize an unbounded right to arm yourself for self-defense, even when that right has been abused and used to kill people - meaning that you view the 2nd amendment above even the due process clauses of the 5th and 14th.

It's very simple: the gun control laws on the books need to have enforcement and rules changed to catch people with mental instability purchasing or acquiring weapons.

Blogger James Dixon January 16, 2013 1:30 PM  

Number 4 has the potential to be a problem, depending on who they decide "dangerous". But it will require legislation, which won't get anywhere, so probably not.

Number 7 has the potential for a lot of mischief, but we'll see.

Number 14. Because the CDC is so effective with actual diseases.

Number 15. The use of the word "challenge" there is obviously code for "require".

Number 16. No, but except for mental health issues, common sense sure does.

Otherwise relatively inoffensive. And ineffective.

Anonymous Signe January 16, 2013 1:31 PM  

It's hard to even discuss this with you, because your position is that we should happily allow even the mentally derranged - who are literally foaming at the mouth -

If someone is literally foaming at the mouth, he's probably not physically able to buy guns. Rabies doesn't work like that. Just sayin'.

to buy whatever weapons the voices in their head. It's the gun runner perspective - people are animals, and we should let them be animals, and if I happen to sell a few guns in the course of the animals doing their business, well then just fine by me.

Well, let's try it from a perspective you'll understand: People will get guns one way or another. If we don't let them buy good quality guns from reputable dealers, they might get dangerous and defective ones from back-alley sellers. Let's keep guns legal, so that we can make sure gun-buying is safe, legal, and rare.

...I'm so sorry.

It's the same story with felons and people previously convicted of gun crimes - you recognize an unbounded right to arm yourself for self-defense, even when that right has been abused and used to kill people -

Do all felonies involve killing people?

meaning that you view the 2nd amendment above even the due process clauses of the 5th and 14th.

"Shall not be infringed." End of story. Sorry, bud, but there's nothing about "due process" there.

It's very simple: the gun control laws on the books need to have enforcement and rules changed to catch people with mental instability purchasing or acquiring weapons.

And who gets to define "mental instability"?

Anonymous Revan January 16, 2013 1:32 PM  

"meaning that you view the 2nd amendment above even the due process clauses of the 5th and 14th."

That is because the 2nd amendment IS more important than the due process clauses of the 5th and 14th. The 2nd amendment is what enforces the rights that we have. Without an armed populace there is no freedom.

Anonymous Revan January 16, 2013 1:35 PM  

"And who gets to define "mental instability"?"

This is a question that is always ignored.

Anonymous VD January 16, 2013 1:37 PM  

This is just silly.

I will put up a post later today demonstrating that it is not.

Blogger James Dixon January 16, 2013 1:38 PM  

> It's the same story with felons and people previously convicted of gun crimes - you recognize an unbounded right to arm yourself for self-defense...

Yes. We do. Why don't you? All people have the inherent right to defend themselves. Even you and Tad.

> ...meaning that you view the 2nd amendment above even the due process clauses of the 5th and 14th.

There's a reason it was the second amendment, and not the 8th.

Do you think the government has the right to surgically silence people who they think might say something illegal or have done so in the past? That's the equivalent of what you're arguing.

Anonymous dh January 16, 2013 1:38 PM  

16. What would be the purpose in asking whether there are guns in the home? Until he actually used them, there was nothing that anyone could do.

The purpose would be to be able to inform a co-habitant, caregiver, etc that a person they live with is having a mental break, and it would be a good idea to secure yourself and your weapons against this person.

Instead the mom, who apparently was a really nice, law abiding lady, got 4 shots to the head, and her weapons used to kill little kids.

17. You're assuming they didn't know this already.
True enough. There is some "apparent" confusion over this, probably created by the government itself. In the Loughner case, he was being treated at school by mental health staff. He expelled from school until he received a mental health clearance. None of it was reported to authorities. Would it matter? Probably not. However, a visit to investigate him could have turned up the improvised bombs in his apartment. Or done nothing. Can't say after the fact.

18. "School resource officers"? Is this defined somewhere?

I can't find it legally anywhere. From my own experience it means school cop. Where I live they are sheriff's deputies.

Anonymous Mina January 16, 2013 1:39 PM  

Shimshon January 16, 2013 1:09 PM:

I have an issue that I have been fighting for many years. I find trolling the opposition and baiting them on different debate topics gives me a lot of data and ammunition that I couldn't get otherwise.

The more ignorant and stupid they are (and thus the more representative they are of the mass herd) the better.

I take it all away for a couple of weeks, organize it, process it and come back with a whole new strategy for attacking them that they themselves gave me.

It's quite beauteous. I guess it would be considered a form of espionage?

Anonymous patrick kelly January 16, 2013 1:41 PM  

It's very simple:....... laws on the books need to have enforcement and rules changed to catch people with mental instability AND LOCK THEIR ASSES UP IN A HOSPITAL UNTIL THEY ARE NOT A THREAT TO ANYONE !!

Anonymous Dot connector January 16, 2013 1:42 PM  

"Otherwise relatively inoffensive. And ineffective."

Yeah I'm sure Holder is all over #10. /s

Anonymous dh January 16, 2013 1:45 PM  

There's a reason it was the second amendment, and not the 8th.
Right, under your Constitutional intrepetation, the ban on alcholol is still in effect, because the 18th amendment was more important the the 21st.

Do you think the government has the right to surgically silence people who they think might say something illegal or have done so in the past? That's the equivalent of what you're arguing.

No, it's not. You apparently believe there is no such thing as "prior restraint", in this country, when it's not true.

In Near v. Minnesota the SCOTUS lists explicit cases where prior restraint is permitted under the 1st (or in that case, the 14th) amendment.

Or is this another case where you just get to make up the law, to do whatever you want it to be, and if you want, shoot someone, because FREEDOM?

Anonymous Signe January 16, 2013 1:46 PM  

The purpose would be to be able to inform a co-habitant, caregiver, etc that a person they live with is having a mental break, and it would be a good idea to secure yourself and your weapons against this person.

"Hi, this is your unspecified co-habitant's doctor's office calling. We aren't allowed to explain why, but we think you should get rid of all your guns RIGHT NOW. What? No, no specific reason--well, none that we're authorized to disclose to you--but you might want to reconsider owning firearms. And also start locking your bedroom door. Just...yeah, no reason. Just a mild suggestion. Okay, no more questions! Bye now!"

True enough. There is some "apparent" confusion over this, probably created by the government itself. In the Loughner case, he was being treated at school by mental health staff. He expelled from school until he received a mental health clearance. None of it was reported to authorities. Would it matter? Probably not. However, a visit to investigate him could have turned up the improvised bombs in his apartment. Or done nothing. Can't say after the fact.

Investigate what? Whether he was mentally ill? What business was it of the government's?

I can't find it legally anywhere. From my own experience it means school cop. Where I live they are sheriff's deputies.

Never, EVER make assumptions about things like that. If something is vaguely worded and you can't find a definition, it means someone's about to pull a fast one. (That's MY personal experience...)

Blogger Conan the Cimmerian, King of Aquilonia January 16, 2013 1:46 PM  

It's also comical how much these trends point against what we are always told here. Just a week ago, it was that the minorities in America with their violence and bad genes and bad culture were the reason for all the crime and murder.

Is that wrong? Isn't it true that if you just take the white murder rate, the US is on par with Canada and Western European nations?

Links about how white (U.S.) crime is comparable to other white, and vs hispanic and black U.S. and worldwide.

Guns, murder, and race

stolen from:


iSteve: Two-part interview with me in the Washington Times
In the Washington Times, Joseph Cotto interviews me:

Anonymous dh January 16, 2013 1:47 PM  

"Otherwise relatively inoffensive. And ineffective."

Yet one more prediction that VD has completely botched, blown up, and just been totally wrong about.

Yesterday it was "Obama is taking your guns by executive order".

...

And today, it's basically... nothing.

Should I expect the revolution today, or by the weekend? Just need to make sure I know when I will be up against the wall by all the arm chair patriots & rebels who are THIS CLOSE to starting the shooting.

Anonymous Anonymous January 16, 2013 1:48 PM  

"And today, it's basically... nothing."

What, me grab with no hands? How me do that?

Blogger jamsco January 16, 2013 1:50 PM  

"The fact that I think that makes me a 'blithering idiot'?

Sadly, yes. You're swallowing the same sort of lies that the early Soviets and every other group of gun-grabbing rulers have told. Do you seriously not recognize the pattern here?"

Vox, look again at what I said,: "One reason Obama wants to create more gun control is because he wants to look like a president who cares about protecting our children from evil men with guns."

Is this not a potential reason that he is doing this? Note that I haven't said that it is a good or justifiable reason.

Anonymous dh January 16, 2013 1:53 PM  

"Hi, this is your unspecified co-habitant's doctor's office calling. We aren't allowed to explain why, but we think you should get rid of all your guns RIGHT NOW. What? No, no specific reason--well, none that we're authorized to disclose to you--but you might want to reconsider owning firearms. And also start locking your bedroom door. Just...yeah, no reason. Just a mild suggestion. Okay, no more questions! Bye now!"

Would you rather have that, or nothing?

Investigate what? Whether he was mentally ill? What business was it of the government's?
The guy was too unstable for college. The people treating him didn't want to see him anymore. He went from apparently stable, to unstable in a short period of time. These are probable cause that he was involved in a crime. Open an investigation. If there is a crime, charge it. Not exactly rocket science. If that had been done, a trip to his apartment would show a handy collection of homeade explosives.

Never, EVER make assumptions about things like that. If something is vaguely worded and you can't find a definition, it means someone's about to pull a fast one. (That's MY personal experience...)

I found it shortly after posting that. There is a definition of law what that means.

See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/3796dd-8

Appears to include LEO's, anyone with a sworn law enforcement duty.

Anonymous dh January 16, 2013 1:55 PM  

I will put up a post later today demonstrating that it is not.

Thanks. I will be interested. Hopefully it will address your position that the 2nd amendment guarantees the right to bear any arms available to anyone, with no restrictions.

Anonymous WinstonWebb January 16, 2013 2:00 PM  

Should I expect the revolution today, or by the weekend? Just need to make sure I know when I will be up against the wall by all the arm chair patriots & rebels who are THIS CLOSE to starting the shooting.

This is your best point by far, dh.
There will be plenty of bluster, the NRA will make some videos, the blogosphere will scream...and nothing will happen.
Because Barry, Congress & USGov't as a whole are all impotent. They don't have the guts to start actually pushing, so there will be no real push-back.

Anonymous Mina January 16, 2013 2:03 PM  

dh January 16, 2013 1:55 PM:

Hey VD - I didn't realize you did requests. I have a few posts I'd like you to write, too.

... but no, I don't want to write my own blog, I'd just like to monopolize the comment threads on your blog and tell you what you should write about!

Blogger James Dixon January 16, 2013 2:04 PM  

> No, it's not.

Yes, it is. The cases are identical. Use a gun to kill; no guns. Use your voice to incite killing; no voice. There is no difference. And removing someone's guns in advance is identical to silencing someone in advance.

But you'll never admit that. It doesn't fit your agenda.

> You apparently believe there is no such thing as "prior restraint", in this country, when it's not true.

Why would I believe that? Justifiable prior restraint now, I may have problems believing in any specific case. But then, I trust the government a lot less than you do.

Anonymous Anonymous January 16, 2013 2:05 PM  

"Should I expect the revolution today, or by the weekend?"

I don't know. But I do know if guys like YOU (dh) keep pushing for gun-grabbing, it will come sooner than later.

Anonymous anon123 January 16, 2013 2:06 PM  

Denninger may be paranoid so don't heed his words. Listen to the words of former Weather Underground terrorist and at present Obama mentor Bill Ayers. He advocates getting rid of 25 million Americans right off the bat. How do you suppose he will be able to fulfill this wish?

Anonymous Anonymous January 16, 2013 2:08 PM  

"He advocates getting rid of 25 million Americans right off the bat. How do you suppose he will be able to fulfill this wish?"

Don't worry. dh will "lawyer-ball" him with his "logic-fu" ...and save us all from the bloody Revolution.

Anonymous Signe January 16, 2013 2:09 PM  

(LoA just e-mailed me this from his mobile something-or-other. Why can't he just break character and post it himself? Gah, roleplaying purists...)

1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.

Translation: Silently expand the criteria for people to qualify for their Second Amendment rights.

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.

Translation: Permit disclosure of confidential medical information.

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.

Translation: Make the states violate people's rights, too.

4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

Translation: Direct the man who facilitated the transfer of firearms to known criminals and alien nationals to tighten restrictions on "dangerous" citizens. "Dangerous" will not be defined.

5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

Translation: Even if you acquired your gun legally, you have to qualify for its return once the government takes it from you, rightfully or not.

6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

Translation: Lean on gun dealers hard. Make vague threats of imprisonment. That will increase their cost of doing business drastically and discourage them.

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

Translation: Stampede the herd.

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

Translation: Find new and exciting ways to make it extremely difficult to get access to your gun in an emergency, thereby making it pointless to have the damn things in your house to begin with.

9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.

Translation: Don't let the local law enforcement handle returning property. Citizens, rightfully or wrongfully accused, will have to go through the FBI to get their guns back.

10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.

Translation: Make sure that this information will become available so that the owners of the lost/stolen guns can be sued for negligence.

11. Nominate an ATF director.

Translation: I need someone to blame in case the rabble gets upset with me.

12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

Translation: I hope nobody will notice that this is apparently not part of the cops' training already.

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

Translation: The word "kangaroo" is not used nearly enough these days.

Anonymous Signe January 16, 2013 2:10 PM  

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

Translation: If we can get it classified as mental illness, we can do an end-run around due process.

15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.

Translation: Lock those guns down so nobody will accidentally shoot a burglar.

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

Translation: Get the doctors to rat out their patients.

17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

Translation: We can later use this to punish people who offer to spank their kids. Birds, meet stone.

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.

Translation: If we make this new job sound inoffensive enough, we can later expand it to serve any purpose.

19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

Translation: Finally, an excuse to stick our noses into those churches!

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

Translation: The states haven't met their quotas of people diagnosed with mental disorders this year. How are we supposed to regulate them if they're not properly categorized?

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.

Translation: If we pay for it, we own it. We need to make sure we're buying more minds.

22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.

Translation: Damn it, we're still not done writing this law. I hope nobody will notice.

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

Translation: We're going to keep harping on how crazy you people are until you agree that you shouldn't be allowed STRING, much less guns.

Anonymous Anonymous January 16, 2013 2:11 PM  

The crime statistics from Washington/state governments are a giant lie. Hispanics are counted as white in the official government crime reports. So are Middle-Easterners.
Google : "Crime Statistics + Hispanics counted as Whites"
Also, there's alot of crime here where I live in Sacramento, CA that never even makes the papers or the tv news. Home invasions are way up. A very brutal crime. The leftists in the mainstream news can't even be bothered reporting these crimes. Home invasions are up all over the country.
Crimes against white Americans went sky-high after the incident in Sanford [ Zimmerman isn't even white -- another lie].

As far as the shooting in Newton,lots of evidence the whole story as it was reported in the mainstream press was totally fabricated. It was a government false-flag operation. Lots of evidence pointing to that conclusion.
"Northerntruthseeker" is a good site to go to for information about the Newton school shooting.Follow the links.
I never hear any government official mention the huge underground, black-market for weapons that exists. There's no talk, no attempt at all, about trying to put an end to the black market,underground trade in guns. It's where the criminals who can't pass a background check buy their weapons.
Even Obama/Holder were involved in running illegal weapons into the US !!! [Operation Fast and Furious. Google it].
The governments in Australia and England disarmed their citizens. Crime went up, big-time. The law-abiding citizens there are sitting ducks for the criminals. Their governments couldn't give a damn.
Uncle Sam is no different, especially considering our president was actively involved with the Mexican mafia in bringing illegal weapons into this country. Now the very same president wants to disarm law-abiding citizens. Joe

Anonymous Signe January 16, 2013 2:17 PM  

Would you rather have that, or nothing?

You don't seem to realize that not only is that virtually worthless, it's still a tacit violation of confidentiality and also very easily abused.

The guy was too unstable for college. The people treating him didn't want to see him anymore. He went from apparently stable, to unstable in a short period of time. These are probable cause that he was involved in a crime.

Which crime, the crime of making your therapist uncomfortable? What is this, Jail the Gamma?

Open an investigation. If there is a crime, charge it. Not exactly rocket science. If that had been done, a trip to his apartment would show a handy collection of homeade explosives.

Investigate WHAT? "He's creepy, so he's probably up to no good." Yeah, sounds like grounds for a warrant to me!

I found it shortly after posting that. There is a definition of law what that means.

See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/3796dd-8

Appears to include LEO's, anyone with a sworn law enforcement duty.


Oh God:

(D) to develop or expand community justice initiatives for students;
(E) to train students in conflict resolution, restorative justice, and crime awareness;
(F) to assist in the identification of physical changes in the environment that may reduce crime in or around the school; and
(G) to assist in developing school policy that addresses crime and to recommend procedural changes.

Anonymous Mina January 16, 2013 2:33 PM  

Giraffe January 16, 2013 12:25 PM:

"or it is someone putting together a highly customized or accurized system that would be wasted on the average person."

This is kind of where my head went, which is why I originally decided against it.

To you and to Conan the Cimmerian, King of Aquilonia:

Thanks for the tips. I am looking at sales online as I think we will purchase one of these at the end of the month.

Anonymous dh January 16, 2013 2:39 PM  

Which crime, the crime of making your therapist uncomfortable? What is this, Jail the Gamma?
I think to actually say we would need to know what he discussed. Whatever it was, they bounced him from treatment, kicked him off campus, and let his landlord know to evict him.

Investigate WHAT? "He's creepy, so he's probably up to no good." Yeah, sounds like grounds for a warrant to me!
Nope, not grounds for a warrant. Definately not probable cause. But it is grounds to open an investigation, and drop by to talk to him. Of course he could have slammed the door in thier faces, but on the other hand, he might have started shooting on sight of cops at his door.

The guy was a nutcase. In a different age he would have been carted off to an institution, and probably never been let out.

No one can claim for this guy that there wasn't ample warning. The guy obviously had a mental break. Everyone who dealt with him knew it.

For about 3% of Americans, who all seem to post here, that should not be a bar to exercising his 2nd amendment rights to arm yourself. It is perhaps the most extreme of all gun control positions out there.

Anonymous VD January 16, 2013 2:43 PM  

Yesterday it was "Obama is taking your guns by executive order".

I never wrote that. I simply said Obama would be putting out gun-related executive orders, which was correct. Learn to read, sport.

Anonymous Signe January 16, 2013 2:47 PM  

I think to actually say we would need to know what he discussed. Whatever it was, they bounced him from treatment, kicked him off campus, and let his landlord know to evict him.

So, what are you proposing? That his right to doctor-patient confidentiality should have been breached?

Nope, not grounds for a warrant. Definately not probable cause. But it is grounds to open an investigation, and drop by to talk to him.

I think you don't understand what a "fishing expedition" is.

Of course he could have slammed the door in thier faces, but on the other hand, he might have started shooting on sight of cops at his door.

Maybe, might've, possibly, coulda. All of it great reasons to harass someone who hadn't done anything wrong at that point.

The guy was a nutcase. In a different age he would have been carted off to an institution, and probably never been let out.

No one can claim for this guy that there wasn't ample warning. The guy obviously had a mental break. Everyone who dealt with him knew it.


And, so what? In light of "These are probable cause that he was involved in a crime", you still haven't explained which crime being strange and creepy is part of.

For about 3% of Americans, who all seem to post here, that should not be a bar to exercising his 2nd amendment rights to arm yourself. It is perhaps the most extreme of all gun control positions out there.

Yes, shame on us for thinking that unspecifically creepy people who haven't broken any laws yet deserve to defend themselves from harm same as anyone else.

Anonymous Edjamacator January 16, 2013 3:10 PM  

I wonder how long before "religious people (except Muslims)" and "Constitution fanatics" are placed into the category of "dangerous" people who shouldn't have guns.

Yesterday?


D'oh! That flyer looks really poorly done. You'd think the FBI would be able to create a flyer that doesn't look like it was done in MSPaint under Windows95. I don't know if it's just the way it was scanned, but I love how "Left-wing terrorists" is almost crawling off the page, as if they didn't want to admit those exist.

Blogger Shimshon January 16, 2013 3:16 PM  

Mina, yes, deliciously devious!

Even I was kind of shocked at how far they go. Another troll I did was where someone bemoaned that high income earners were expressing a preference to work (and earn) less, since the new higher marginal rates at 250k and above made the additional income just not worth it. These people were actually advocating that people who decide to go Galt should not be allowed to do so. You should've seen the (proverbial) looks on their faces when I called this for what it is, slavery. Wow, did that offend them! One of my oldest (female) friends got the vapors (or whatever they call it) and defriended me! I coyly gamed her on this, and she later abjectly apologized for acting so childish. That's why women are so much more fun to troll.

Anonymous dh January 16, 2013 4:09 PM  

Yes, shame on us for thinking that unspecifically creepy people who haven't broken any laws yet deserve to defend themselves from harm same as anyone else.

First off, VD and others supported the right for anyone - including people who have committed crimes, who are in clinically insanes, etc to own whatever guns and weapons they want. So it's helpful to see if you are in that camp, or not.

Secondly, regarding Loughner:

There was ample probable cause the guy was in the middle of mental break:

1. Five seperate "violent" outburts at school.

2. His therapist had him bounced from school on the grounds he was dangerous and was getting worse, not better, and could not be trusted in school.

3. He and his parents went to a meeting at the school, and he agreed to be booted from school instead of having a mental exam.

The intent of the 1968 Gun Control Act was to catch people in this category. In 1968, if you had exhibited these tendancies, you would have been put into a mental instustion. Before commitment, there was a hearing, called a "Mental Status Adjuication", or something similiar depending on your state.

Today, we don't put people into mental institutions, because there are hardly any. Instead the college just booted him out, and let his mental break go on, uncontrolled.

What I am suggesting is that his doctors - who were already clearly concerned enough that they kicked him out of school, should have been able to report him.

It is already illegal to sell a firearm to a person who is addicted to controlled substances, or having a mental breakdown, or any number other factors. A quick invesitgation into this guy - knocking on his door, talking to any neighbor, would reveal he was a danger to himself or others, and allow them to take him into custody for a mental evaluation.

Some people do literally just snap. They lose thier minds, and go on a killing spree. But for this guy, at least, there was planning and premeditation, preceded by a long-term detoriation of his mental health.

Claiming that we can't catch these types of things is completly bogus.

Anonymous Mina January 16, 2013 4:21 PM  

"That's why women are so much more fun to troll."

Ain't that the truth.

Anonymous Gen. Kong January 16, 2013 4:35 PM  

Joe:
The crime statistics from Washington/state governments are a giant lie. Hispanics are counted as white in the official government crime reports. So are Middle-Easterners. Google : "Crime Statistics + Hispanics counted as Whites" Also, there's alot of crime here where I live in Sacramento, CA that never even makes the papers or the tv news. Home invasions are way up. A very brutal crime. The leftists in the mainstream news can't even be bothered reporting these crimes. Home invasions are up all over the country. Crimes against white Americans went sky-high after the incident in Sanford [ Zimmerman isn't even white -- another lie].

There's another aspect of the statistical manipulation you forgot to mention - the use of a program called "compstat" by big-city police bureaucracies such as NYC, Chicago and others. Essentially, it involves re-classifying serious crimes as less serious crimes - up to and including ruling 1st degree murders as accidents, manslaughter, etc. It is a tool used by Marxist nomenklatura like Chicago's Cheeph of Pohleece McCarty to make crime numbers either go down or not rise as much. McCarthy, for those who might not remember, is the lying POS who claimed that the prevalent violence among Chicago's Sons of Obama was due to the Puritans of Massachusetts Bay Colony. The equally lying Ministry of Truth didn't even question him on such a laughable assertion. Look up "Compstat" on Nicholas Stix's site to get the details on how that particular racket works - coming soon to a city near you!

As far as the shooting in Newton, lots of evidence the whole story as it was reported in the mainstream press was totally fabricated. It was a government false-flag operation. Lots of evidence pointing to that conclusion. "Northerntruthseeker" is a good site to go to for information about the Newton school shooting. Follow the links.
I never hear any government official mention the huge underground, black-market for weapons that exists. There's no talk, no attempt at all, about trying to put an end to the black market,underground trade in guns. It's where the criminals who can't pass a background check buy their weapons. Even Obama/Holder were involved in running illegal weapons into the US !!! [Operation Fast and Furious. Google it]. The governments in Australia and England disarmed their citizens. Crime went up, big-time. The law-abiding citizens there are sitting ducks for the criminals. Their governments couldn't give a damn. Uncle Sam is no different, especially considering our president was actively involved with the Mexican mafia in bringing illegal weapons into this country. Now the very same president wants to disarm law-abiding citizens. Joe.


The only purpose of gun control is to disarm the law abiding. All other reasons offered by leftists are lies. Leftists, much like Muslims, see nothing wrong in the continual employment of lies and deceptions to achieve their utopian ends. The "new class" oligarchs who rule the Banksta Banana Republick operate as leftists always have and always will. Street thugs and common criminals, including gangs, are viewed as their essential allies in destroying those who might conceivably awake from their stupor to oppose them. The biggest problem those of us who are not Marxist utopians face is the large number of folks who simply cannot believe the truth unfolding right in front of their eyes. The Republican party is a good example of how the deception works so effectively. All those Tea Party folks who worked so hard to make sure the Republicans took control of congress two years ago have absolutely nothing to show for their efforts - which of course was the plan of the party nomenklatura all along. They can't even unseat the utterly worthless piece of dung John Boehner.

Anonymous 11B January 16, 2013 4:37 PM  

It's also comical how much these trends point against what we are always told here. Just a week ago, it was that the minorities in America with their violence and bad genes and bad culture were the reason for all the crime and murder. Now, homocides are down, at the same time that the share of non-Anglo Whites has been decreasing for decades.

I don't have the racial breakout of crime stats from 1960. But blacks have always been around 10 percent of the US population, even back then. And blacks are the drivers of crime. So I imagine blacks were a large driver of the high crime back then too.

Also, many of the whites at that time where WW2 and Korean era vets. Millions of whites might have had PTSD which might have contributed to higher crime. So if the white crime rate were higher, it might have been the result of a younger generation with a high percentage of combat vets.

Of course the important number is what was the crime rate in Canada and other European nations at that time. After all, that is what liberals are comparing us to today. They trumpet the low crime rates of Europe and Canada and lament that the US has such higher figures. That is true today, but was it true back then?

Anonymous Anonymous January 16, 2013 5:38 PM  

@ Gen. Kong

Thank you for the information about "compstat". I never heard of compstat before. I learned something new. I'll look into it, and pass the info on to others. Joe

Anonymous Boris January 16, 2013 6:49 PM  

lol. Is this what you really believe, vox? Or is this some kind of performance art. Either way A+++

Blogger Justthisguy January 16, 2013 7:07 PM  

@Josh at 10:44: Oh, c'mon, quit pickin' on us strange people! Some of us are on the side of Truth, Justice, and the (genuine) American Way! There are a coupla guys on Wrong Planet fighting the good fight, pointing out that principles, facts and logic are on the side of the armed citizen. Hey, some of us have a Constitutionalist gun-nerd perseveration, uh, I mean, Special Interest, yeah that's better. We are nothing if not earnest. Don't pick on the Aspies who are on your side. As the saying goes: "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Anonymous FUBAR Nation Ben January 16, 2013 7:46 PM  

There shouldn't be any gun laws. It's illegal to kill someone and it's irrelevant how the person is killed.

Practically, prohibition doesn't work and has the effect of empowering criminal gangs that don't care about abiding by any laws anyway.

Anonymous Gx1080 January 16, 2013 8:16 PM  

Question:

I'm the only one that finds the pro-eugenics gushing of dh really, really creepy?

That out, a gun ban simply won't work because of Geography. Is impossible to check all the cargo that enters a big country with lots of coastal line, like, let's say, the US. Also, the only ones that benefit from recreating the experiences of the Prohibition and the War on Drugs are the ones that want to push for more totalitarianism.

Any feelings on the matter simply are unimportant against those facts.

Anonymous Sam Scott January 17, 2013 8:08 AM  

Vox and everyone,

Freakonomics once posited that the decline in violent crime in recent decades was a result of abortion becoming legal a few decades prior.

Essentially: A lot of people who would have become criminals were never born since the poor, uneducated, and other such people tend to have more unwanted pregnancies and hence abortions.

I'd be curious to hear what people think.

Anonymous The Anti-Gnostic January 17, 2013 12:47 PM  

Steve Sailer deconstructed that analysis. Freakonomics might have found some effect on the margins. But the far larger factor was we put several million violent (mostly young, mostly black) men in long-term lockup on drug violations and three-strikes-sentencing. The other big factor is downright pedestrian: we're getting older.

Anonymous Bastiat January 19, 2013 12:07 AM  

Just remembered that Doom came out at the end of 2003, and it seems that violent crime goes down after then...

Blogger Galt-in-Da-Box January 20, 2013 6:00 PM  

Quod Erat Demonstrandem...
More relevant now than when I wrote it three years ago:

http://colofednet.blogspot.com/2010/07/molon-labe-civil-defense.html

Be ready!

Blogger sirking February 24, 2013 11:37 PM  

He is right too. No one ever wants to believe that their elected officials or their fellow citizens literally want to kill them. But considering how many times it has happened throughout human history, and how many times it happened in the 20th century alone, the American people would have to be blitheringly stupid to imagine that those attempting to disarm them are doing so for any reason except to be able to kill them at will.
http://shootingtargets7.com

Blogger Orla David March 04, 2013 2:45 AM  

Guns should be banned in public places in order to reduce the risk of crimes.

Blogger Frencis Merchant July 12, 2014 1:55 AM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS. Anonymous comments will be deleted.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts