ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2014 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Mailvox: where are the miracles?

DL has a question concerning the apparent absence of Old Testament miracles:
I would like to say that I have been reading your blog for over half a year, maybe a little bit longer now. You write about a lot stuff that I have thought for years, it has just given me the evidence and confidence to speak my opinions besides just sitting quietly by while people say stuff I don't really agree with.

The point of this email is to ask your opinion on a problem I came across during a debate I was having with a friend over the existence of God. This debate has been going on for a while and slowly the tides is turning from him controlling the debate to about a mutual battlefield. The idea of God being omniderigent really put a cap over some of his arguments.

Things were going ok until I was asked the question of "Why doesn't God do any of the big miracles that he did in the bible today?" What he meant by this is the parting of the Red Sea, destroying a city with fire, and raising people from the dead. I was unable to come up with a completely logical solution for this question. I done some research on apologetic websites on why God would do this and the answers are a little unsatisfactory and doesn't really answer the question in a logical way.
I would think the answer is fairly obvious.  First, God clearly does miracles for specific reasons.  Consider the repeated response of the Israeli people to His miracles; they kept returning to their false idols and their evil ways, and rejected Him for an earthly king.  Why would it surprise anyone if He stopped bothering to intervene on their behalf when they repeatedly turned their backs on Him after witnessing them?  Jesus himself had the people turn on him despite his miracles and even pointed out that people would not believe regardless of what they had seen with their own eyes.

Second, what would the point of any such divine miracles be?  The Bible makes it clear that there will those who believe without seeing, and Richard Dawkins makes it clear that even if God Himself appears and tells him that he is wrong about His existence, he will not believe.

When X doesn't happen, the correct question is not "why did X not happen?" but "why does X happen and is there reason to have expected it to happen in the first place?"

Labels: ,

407 Comments:

1 – 200 of 407 Newer› Newest»
Blogger Markku February 14, 2013 9:03 AM  

Old Testament looks like it is full of miracles because it is thousands of years worth of time condensed into those scrolls, and it is specifically about the times when God acts. For example in Babylonian captivity, 400 years of nothing happening are simply skipped over. That's several lifetimes of people probably asking the exact same question.

Anonymous Soga February 14, 2013 9:10 AM  

So Dorner wasn't God's judgement on the LAPD?

Blogger Nate February 14, 2013 9:17 AM  

People often think that God performed miracles to prove Himself. This is not the case.

Miracles do not create believers. The old testament is clear enough on that but we have countless examples more contemporary.

God intervenes in various point of history for various reasons to set events in motion. Determining why would be rather like ants trying to decide why some ant hills are mysteriously poisoned and others are not.

Blogger Titus Quinctius Cincinnatus February 14, 2013 9:20 AM  

"Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead." (Luke 16:29-31)

Fact is, miracles aren't really meant to "convince" anyone, and God knows that they probably won't - people in rebellion will always find a way to discount anything they see, no matter how unexplainable or miraculous. This may not be a "logically satisfactory" answer, but it is true nevertheless.

Miracles were done, more than anything else, to openly demonstrate that God's power (and therefore authority) was vested in the one being enabled to perform the miracles. Though people have this impression that the Bible is just one miracle after another, really it's not. You only see three times where miracles were really prevalent: With Moses and Joshua, with Elijah and Elisha, and with Jesus and His apostles. In each case, God's man used for a specific purpose, and then the immediate follower(s) of said man/Godman.

Blogger Titus Quinctius Cincinnatus February 14, 2013 9:21 AM  

"So Dorner wasn't God's judgement on the LAPD?"

LOL

Anonymous Peter Garstig February 14, 2013 9:22 AM  

"Why doesn't God do any of the big miracles that he did in the bible today?"

You fool, He's busy creating rabbits...and puppies.

Anonymous JartStar February 14, 2013 9:24 AM  

A good example is the feeding of the 5000 in John 6. Afterwords the crowd first started to follow Jesus to get a free meal, then they wanted to know how he got across the lake so quickly, then finally upped the ante and said that Jesus needed to out perform Abraham for them to believe. There's no indication that they denied the miracles they saw with their own eyes, instead they acknowledged them as having happened but still didn't believe or at least were focused on the wrong things.

Anonymous Edjamacator February 14, 2013 9:24 AM  

I think God did miracles originally, for one, to get past the whole "is He really God" thing. He would keep referring to Himself as the God who "brought you out of Egypt" with mighty miracles and such to constantly reaffirm His identity and remind people that He really was God. If He didn't do anything, it's doubtful Israel would have believed in Him as much as they did, so doing a few huge things that couldn't possibly not be because of "God" kind of eliminated the question of Him actually being real. I don't recall seeing many "big" miracles in the later OT, though, as His identity was established.

In the NT, Jesus did a bunch of miracles perhaps for the same reason, in part. He was establishing Himself as God once again and getting the entire "is this really the Messiah" question out of the way.
Now, we have all those miracles recorded for our use and so we have the identities squared away. We can choose to accept or reject those witnessed events and make our own decisions. People only come to God when he draws them anyway (and I don't mean that in the strict traditionalist Calvinist way), and he wants people of faith, so He is not doing the huge miracles now.

At least, that we know of. I've heard of smaller miracles being done and all that, but haven't personally seen them. We have no idea what God could be doing if He's not announcing His actions. One of us could have been killed driving to work today, except that the car that would have crashed into us instead got stopped at a light or the driver was made to slow down a bit to cause the entire thing to be avoided. I can't say either way so I leave it at God can and will do what He wants but I can't determine what that may be.

Anonymous p-dawg February 14, 2013 9:27 AM  

Why do people expect that they, personally, would be witness to any miracles occurring today? The world is a big place. There could be a thousand miracles happening every day without me, personally, knowing about it. Maybe you guys have sources I don't. And don't say the media, because there are tons of stories reported of miracles, and no one believes them. I don't know that I can accept the premise that miracles aren't happening in this age, although I'll readily admit that I haven't personally witnessed any that I recognized as such.

Anonymous ? February 14, 2013 9:29 AM  

I think it's more interesting to ask why God apparently talked directly to people a lot in ancient times, but in modern times, not so much.

Anonymous Josh February 14, 2013 9:30 AM  

There are thousands of documented miracles today...mostly people being healed of sickness...but no big Cecil DeMille miracles like the red sea...

My theory is that, before Jesus and the Holy Spirit came, God needed to be much more overt in His displays of power.

Anonymous Josh February 14, 2013 9:34 AM  

I don't know that I can accept the premise that miracles aren't happening in this age, although I'll readily admit that I haven't personally witnessed any that I recognized as such.

I've prayed for a cancer patient and felt the tumor disappear. I've seen a cloudy eye opened (healed of cataracts). Many have seen far greater things than I have seen, including people raised from the dead and limbs lengthened.

Anonymous Edjamacator February 14, 2013 9:35 AM  

I think it's more interesting to ask why God apparently talked directly to people a lot in ancient times, but in modern times, not so much.

We're less interesting. And would probably hold one finger up to Him because we were still on a call.

Blogger Markku February 14, 2013 9:36 AM  

I think it's more interesting to ask why God apparently talked directly to people a lot in ancient times, but in modern times, not so much.

Think about it from the perspective of a Jew at the end of Babylonian captivity. His evidence for God would have been that something happened 400 years ago, according to some stories. That's like around 1600 AD for us. I'm sure we could find some interesting stories from that time too. But would they satisfy us?

Anonymous das Fleisch Esser February 14, 2013 9:37 AM  

Nate: Miracles do not create believers. The old testament is clear enough on that but we have countless examples more contemporary.
 
Cincinnatus: Fact is, miracles aren't really meant to "convince" anyone…
 
The Old Testament aside, it seems perfectly obvious that miracles actually would create believers, but what is more than likely here is that miracles don’t actually happen and have never happened, even during the time periods covered by the Old (and New) Testament. 

Anonymous Josh February 14, 2013 9:37 AM  

I think it's more interesting to ask why God apparently talked directly to people a lot in ancient times, but in modern times, not so much.

You have it precisely backwards. In ancient times, God spoke to maybe one or two men in a generation. Now, He speaks to thousands, if not millions.

Anonymous Outlaw X February 14, 2013 9:37 AM  

DL

You might consider looking into FATIMA as well. And the RCC did exactly what Vox says The Israelite's did in the OT.

Anonymous Wendy February 14, 2013 9:37 AM  

I think it's more interesting to ask why God apparently talked directly to people a lot in ancient times, but in modern times, not so much.

What is there to say? We have all we need to know.

Blogger JDC February 14, 2013 9:38 AM  

I like how Philip Yancey puts it,

"I also noticed a telling pattern in the Old Testament accounts: the very clarity of God's will had a stunting effect on the Israelites' faith. Why pursue God when he had already revealed himself so clearly? Why step out in faith when God had already guaranteed the results? In short, why should the Israelites act like adults when they could act like children."

"God did not play hide and seek with the Israelites; they had every proof of his existence you could ask for. but astonishingly - and I could hardly believe this result, God's directness seemed to produce the very opposite of the desired effect. Not worship and love but fear and open rebellion."

Disappointment with God - P. Yancey - pp 46-48

What is clear is that in the O.T. it was often the case that God's visible presence did nothing to improve or create lasting faith. Even today I believe that the kind of faith that miraculous events may create is not the kind of faith God is looking for.

Anonymous Edjamacator February 14, 2013 9:40 AM  

I'm sure we could find some interesting stories from that time too. But would they satisfy us?

No, and it's not like God talked to every Jew, either. All I read is that He talked to certain people (the prophets) and they told people what He said. I'm sure it was pretty easy for many Jews to just blow some guy off or, even if they respected him as a prophet, figure that he might've just heard something wrong or is adding his own bias to something. The Jews seemed to go off track pretty fast a lot of times.

Anonymous Viking February 14, 2013 9:40 AM  

Usually miracles have the purpose of confirming the messenger. This all came to its height with Jesus because He is the Message. He is the Word. He is the final perfect revelation of God's love. There has been and will be no more prophets because nothing else needs to be revealed. That is why the words of the Apostles were so important. They spoke first hand as witnesses to the Word among us. When they passed on, that was the end of what would be revealed.

Miracles also happen to encourage particular people. And these miracles happen all the time but are rarely documented or document-able. But occasionally someone will recover miraculously from something or may see some kind of vision that is more or less for them alone. God does as he pleases in our lives often to prompt us to do what he has planned for us. No one else need even believe in these miracles because they don't reveal anything new. They simply confirm the One who has come and who may soon will return.

Anonymous Josh February 14, 2013 9:41 AM  

what is more than likely here is that miracles don’t actually happen and have never happened, even during the time periods covered by the Old (and New) Testament. 

So...explain to me how that tumor disappeared all by itself...

Anonymous Josh February 14, 2013 9:44 AM  

There has been and will be no more prophets because nothing else needs to be revealed.

Please explain the purpose of Ephesians 4:11 then

Anonymous mjb February 14, 2013 9:54 AM  

It is funny how we think that God is no longer performing massive miracles (massive to us). We don't really know for sure.

The American church feels pretty self-reliant, rather than trusting God. We have one side of the church that is focused so much on the miracles, setting up healing ministries, etc., and I'm highly skeptical of that side. We have another side that is focused on all things end times prophecy, and then another that seems to care only about tradition.

What gives me joy is seeing God work in the hearts of men. That's a miracle to me. And yes, it would be cool to see someone raised from the dead, but I'm afraid it would be pure entertainment for me.

Blogger Tim Bushong February 14, 2013 9:57 AM  

I'm with "Viking". Amen, bro.

Blogger Historicus February 14, 2013 9:57 AM  

Romans 1 speaks about how creation is enough to convince people of God's existence. People are without excuse at the judgement if they continue to suppress the truth.

Anonymous Huh February 14, 2013 9:58 AM  

You have it precisely backwards. In ancient times, God spoke to maybe one or two men in a generation. Now, He speaks to thousands, if not millions.

Um, like who?

What is there to say? We have all we need to know.

I disagree.

Anonymous Toby Temple February 14, 2013 10:00 AM  

"So Dorner wasn't God's judgement on the LAPD?"

LOL


Indeed! LOL!

Blogger Titus Quinctius Cincinnatus February 14, 2013 10:00 AM  

"but what is more than likely here is that miracles don’t actually happen and have never happened, even during the time periods covered by the Old (and New) Testament."

A proposition for which you have exactly zero evidence, and in fact, never could find any.

Which makes it a faith-based statement...sort of like believing in miracles.

Blogger Historicus February 14, 2013 10:05 AM  

Luke 16:20-31

Jesus: verse 31 "But Abraham said, 'If they won't listen to Moses and the prophets, they won't listen even if someone rises from the dead.'"

People tend to interpret evidence from their worldview. If a miracle happened, an atheist would interpret it according to his worldview, and since (according to his worldview) miracles do not happen, then it has a materialistic explanation.

Anonymous Outlaw X February 14, 2013 10:05 AM  

Miracles can be so esoteric at times too. I know little about physics. I fell asleep early one morning in a little Chevy Cavalier with cruise control on 75 and rear-ended an oil field 18 wheel tanker truck turning left. The car was totaled and crushed with most all glass broken. Yet the driver side door would still open and I stepped out and everyone there thought they were seeing a ghost. They thought there was no way I was alive (not a scratch).

Then a funny thing is the DPS trooper called in my drivers license and said it had been suspended. I said no way! Any way with out cuffs he put me in the front seat of his car and took me to the JP who set bond at 500 dollars. There was a glitch in their computer but they did not know. So when they took me down to be booked at the county jail he asked me to empty my pockets.

I gave him my wallet and keys then reached into my coat pocket and pulled out my rosary beads I forgot were in there, and he smiled. I paid the bond without being put in jail and he let me go. Now, was that for me, or him or his partner to see a miracle in real time.

The news paper only talked of my arrest and never retracted the story after the DPS officer called me the next morning and apologized. So to the world it looked like I was driving around with a suspended license, but there were three people and who know; who else saw or heard about what really happened.

Blogger Nate February 14, 2013 10:07 AM  

"The Old Testament aside, it seems perfectly obvious that miracles actually would create believers, but what is more than likely here is that miracles don’t actually happen and have never happened, even during the time periods covered by the Old (and New) Testament. "

The fact that you believe this indicates a severe lack of observational skills as well as an almost total ignorance of human psychology.

Humans interpret what they see through their own special world view filter. Think of paleontologists... if they were to find a rabbit in the pre-cambrian.. what would they conclude?

So when non-believers see real miracles... they do not register as miracles. They simply are explained away.

Nnon-believe has nothing to do with skepticism and everything to do with rebellion. Because it is rebellion... evidence is not enough.

Anonymous Outlaw X February 14, 2013 10:07 AM  

" I know little about physics." = I know "A" little about physics.

Anonymous Hong Hu Shi February 14, 2013 10:09 AM  

The Miracles officially finished in 2011, when Bobby Rogers quit the touring circuit because of his bad health. But hey, they were the greatest of Motown's legacy, and there's a lot to be said for that.

Blogger Titus Quinctius Cincinnatus February 14, 2013 10:11 AM  

"Please explain the purpose of Ephesians 4:11 then"

The word prophetes in Eph. 4:11 is used in the sense of someone who expounds, explains, and preaches the Word of God with an intent towards helping his hearers have a greater understanding of it.

In fact, that is actually the PRIMARY meaning of that word in the Greek - the use of prophetes in extra-biblical Greek literature primarily describes someone who would interpret and expound on oracles in the Greek religious system. The appearance of this word in the NT nearly always has this same sense, except for referring to the Scriptures as the "oracles" (Romans 3:2) being explained.

Indeed, even in the OT, most of what we refer to as "prophecy" isn't so much concerned with "wowwing" people about events going to take place thousands of years in the future as it is with making application of the Word of God in the present day, with the extended hope of God's fulfillment of His promises in the indefinite future (the "present-future dual interpretation"). So yes, the things we call "prophecy" in the OT WERE predictive, but that was not the "primary" purpose for them.

Anonymous Mystery Man February 14, 2013 10:11 AM  

it seems perfectly obvious that miracles actually would create believers

Because people don't rationalize away things they don't want to believe or attribute them improperly. People are smrt.

Anonymous das Fleisch Esser February 14, 2013 10:20 AM  

Josh; forgive me, but I have no idea if it did or not.  Internet Josh’s word does not constitute evidence.  Also, if it did disappear, I have no idea if it did it so “by itself”.  You must admit, tumors are known to disappear…
 
I think it’s telling that when pressed, the best documented recent example of a “miracle” anyone has been able to present to me involved a guy with eye problems undergoing a surgery and then getting better… 
 
Nate: The fact that you believe this inndicates a severe lack of observational skills...

You've observed many people observing miracles?

Anonymous Peter Garstig February 14, 2013 10:29 AM  

Also, if it did disappear, I have no idea if it did it so “by itself”. You must admit, tumors are known to disappear…

So they are known to disappear but it's impossible that this is a miracle? So what are the reasons they disappear?

Blogger Titus Quinctius Cincinnatus February 14, 2013 10:29 AM  

"I think it’s telling that when pressed, the best documented recent example of a “miracle” anyone has been able to present to me"

Of course, you're trying to make this argument with a guy who just more or less told you that biblical miracles are not an everyday occurrence and shouldn't be expected to be observed today.

Anonymous Josh February 14, 2013 10:31 AM  

Internet Josh’s word does not constitute evidence.

Oh look, an atheist (presumably) who does not understand the meaning of evidence. I think we've seen it before.

Testimonial evidence is evidence. Not that it matters to you.

Blogger Titus Quinctius Cincinnatus February 14, 2013 10:32 AM  

"You've observed many people observing miracles?"

I didn't observe Copernicus formulate his heliocentric theory, therefore it didn't really happen.

Blogger Titus Quinctius Cincinnatus February 14, 2013 10:34 AM  

"Testimonial evidence is evidence. Not that it matters to you."

No way dude, it's only evidence if Ted Danson can stick it into a mass spec and tell you exact trajectory of the blood splatter.

Anonymous Edjamacator February 14, 2013 10:36 AM  

I didn't observe Copernicus formulate his heliocentric theory, therefore it didn't really happen.

I didn't observe the native Americans being killed by invaders, so that never happened, either.

Anonymous Josh February 14, 2013 10:40 AM  

Um, like who?

Well, just amongst the Ilk, there is Beau, to whom it's pretty clear God speaks.

Anonymous buzzcut February 14, 2013 10:40 AM  

Oberammergau vs. The Bubonic Plague looks pretty miraculous to me.

Anonymous Krul February 14, 2013 10:42 AM  

There is more to the miracle question than levels of evidence. If you accept as a prior assumption that the laws of nature are absolute and unbreakable, but also not entirely known to man, then any anomaly (e.g. a miracle) can only have happened according to these natural processes, even if you don't yet know how this is possible.

On the other hand, if you accept that God exists and that the laws of nature are not absolute but are dependent on His will, then a miracle is tolerable because the only reason natural law works at all is because God made it work in the first place. Natural processes, from this point of view, are just God exercising His will in an unecessarily long and roundabout way. If you accept that God created the Universe out of nothing with a word, then it's a small step indeed to accept that He multiplied a few loaves and fishes into many.

Anonymous das Fleisch Esser February 14, 2013 10:42 AM  

Josh; Testimonial evidence is evidence

Agreed, but in practice "Josh" asserting somthing in a combox on a blog does not rise to even that level.

Anonymous Jimmy February 14, 2013 10:43 AM  

God didn't just do his miracles. He did it for a specific audience that he spoke to. I don't think he will speak to atheists in general. He will not do his tricks for them.

Anyways, we are beyond the Old Testament. Any miracles must be in the New Testament context. Haven't the unbelievers put all New Testament miracles to a vote and declared them false? It would seem that Jesus' Resurrection is a big miracle. The next miracle is Jesus' return.

Anonymous Mr Green Man February 14, 2013 10:44 AM  

I thought the thing provided to us as evidence was the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and the dramatic change in behavior that followed such a thing. I have a list of them from my own small circle. The Holy Spirit didn't indwell in an Israelite for bringing a sin or a peace offering to the temple door.

Anonymous Edjamacator February 14, 2013 10:46 AM  

Agreed, but in practice "Josh" asserting somthing in a combox on a blog does not rise to even that level.

Aside from not knowing who he really is, what's the difference between telling you here and telling you from a witness stand? If the content is exactly the same, what gives one more weight?

Anonymous John Regan February 14, 2013 10:47 AM  

Short answer: Miracles are overrated.

Longer answer: Many Catholics claim miracles aplenty on an ongoing basis, but no one pays attention to them. VD is right: miracles tend not to matter either to the true believer or the true non-believer. But, say, to the person whose tumor disappears after a visit to Lourdes they're pretty important. In any case, your own existence should be miracle enough for you, since you didn't "will yourself into being". At least not so far as anyone knows, and even if you did there's still a miracle buried in there somewhere because that would be just as astounding as anything else. In many ways the desire for miracles is very wrong-headed: they are demonstrations of power, mainly, whereas the point is love, not power.

Anonymous zen0 February 14, 2013 10:47 AM  

Mailvox: where are the miracles?

Search:

miracles in Israeli wars

and be enlightened.

Anonymous das Fleisch Esser February 14, 2013 10:48 AM  

Cincinnatus I didn't observe Copernicus...
 
Edjamacator: I didn't observe the native Americans...
 
You two have badly missed the point.  Go back and reread Nate's comment.   

Anonymous Susan February 14, 2013 10:48 AM  

For some perspective

Josh, when you read towards the end of Revelation about how there are still unbelievers even though the Lord has reigned for a thousand years on earth, you will realize that it is a total waste of energy to argue with atheists. I know, I know, it is the Christian thing to give them the facts. But the fact is, they do not want or desire a clue.

For the record though, I believe your testamony. The Lord works in mysterious ways, and His ways are wonderous to our eyes.

Outlaw X

I for one am very glad you survived such an awful accident and that the police had the good sense to see the truth of the situation and appologize. That doesn't happen very often.

Anonymous Outlaw X February 14, 2013 10:49 AM  

Josh

They are not going to believe you. I have seen many miracles and none of them will convince a man that there is a God. I may be an old fart, but this gives me advantage.

God is not a vending machine of miracles. These people want to try and test God scientifically. They are foolish people, thinking that believers believe they can put in their quarter in the prayer machine and a bag of Cheetos comes out.

It is an insane argument to say that Me or you believe any such thing. So their proof asked for will never happen. Remember the story of poor man Lazarus where he was in Abraham's Bosom and the rich man asked for him to put a drop of water on his tongue and when he was told no he said let be go back and warn my brothers. He was told that if they didn't believe then they would not either even if he was brought back from the dead.

It was a prophecy in the Gospel of those who wouldn't believe even when Jesus was brought back from the dead. And still is. Be as Abraham.

Anonymous Josh February 14, 2013 10:51 AM  

http://journals.lww.com/smajournalonline/Fulltext/2010/09000/Study_of_the_Therapeutic_Effects_of_Proximal.5.aspx

Oh look...a peer reviewed study of people whose hearing was improved after they were prayed for.

You cannot argue with science.

Blogger Titus Quinctius Cincinnatus February 14, 2013 10:53 AM  

"You two have badly missed the point. Go back and reread Nate's comment."

I think you're the one who's not getting Nate's point. In fact, I'm pretty sure you are.

Of course, my comment was not responding to Nate, but to you, and should be addressed on *that* basis, instead of blame-shifting at Nate.

Anonymous Josh February 14, 2013 10:56 AM  

Their reports: A 15-year old said her jaw was reset; a 44-year-old said his sight was restored in one eye and that he has begun seeing light and shadows out of a socket with a glass eye; a woman, 66, said six hernias on her stomach had disappeared; and a 16-year-old Fort Mill, S.C., girl said a birth defect in her femur that had left her pigeon-toed is healed.Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2008/06/19/51214/tattooed-preacher-says-god-heals.html#storylink=cpy

Anonymous das Fleisch Esser February 14, 2013 11:01 AM  

Cincinnatus; I'm blaming you, not Nate.

Blogger Original George (There can be only one!) February 14, 2013 11:03 AM  

Why not refer to the greatest most documented miracle in history Mr. "Meat Eater" ?

http://www.peterkreeft.com/topics-more/resurrection-evidence.htm



Blogger James Dixon February 14, 2013 11:05 AM  

> I think it's more interesting to ask why God apparently talked directly to people a lot in ancient times, but in modern times, not so much.

What makes you think he doesn't? Maybe he's merely choosy about those he talks to, and they don't discuss the matter much?

In actual fact, I've met several people who assert that God has spoken to them.

Anonymous das Fleisch Esser February 14, 2013 11:06 AM  

Josh; good work, and while slightly better than "Josh" making claims, the Charlotte Observer story is still the bottom of the barrell for what constitues evidence. I'll have to look into the SMJ article further before commenting.

Anonymous ericcs February 14, 2013 11:10 AM  

It would be an effing miracle if God could directly answer one of my prayers even just once. And please don't give me this crap about Him responding to everything it's just that we don't necessarily like the answers... I know benign neglect when I see it.

Anonymous Tad February 14, 2013 11:12 AM  

@Vox Day

Second, what would the point of any such divine miracles be?

I can think of a myriad of reasons a god might want to perform what is considered a miracle.

However, the fact is miracles do still occur. Consider Phil Mickelson's 2nd shot on the par 5, 13th hole in the 2010 Masters from under the trees, in the brush, over water and down to the pin.

Miracles do still happen. It's just that when they happen today we have witnesses, they still appear super human, but we now know they are just really seemingly super human.

If you letter writer wants any chance at winning the "god debate", he probably wants to move the conversation away from the miracle questioin.

Anonymous Tad February 14, 2013 11:15 AM  

@James

In actual fact, I've met several people who assert that God has spoken to them.

We all have had that experience. And we all understand the necessity of understanding the claim as either the rantings of a lunatic or as a slightly too tightly gripped metaphor.

Blogger James Dixon February 14, 2013 11:16 AM  

> And we all understand the necessity of understanding the claim as either the rantings of a lunatic or as a slightly too tightly gripped metaphor.

I've no doubt that's true of the people you associate with Tad. Other people, on the other hand...

Anonymous paleopaleo February 14, 2013 11:17 AM  

I argue that God does not want to affect free-will.

Pre-science miracles would have had lesser effect on free-will. After the scientific revolution a miracle would be too overwhelmingly persuasive to the Modern mind. Therefore God does not perform miracles today in order to leave the free will balance at 50/50.

Anonymous Peter Garstig February 14, 2013 11:17 AM  

I can think of a myriad of reasons a god might want to perform what is considered a miracle.

Does your theory include the premise that God is a Liberal?

Anonymous Peter Garstig February 14, 2013 11:18 AM  

We all have had that experience. And we all understand the necessity of understanding the claim as either the rantings of a lunatic or as a slightly too tightly gripped metaphor.

It's everything but the truth, right?

Blogger James Dixon February 14, 2013 11:22 AM  

> It's everything but the truth, right?

Well, Peter, since Tad is a habitual liar himself...

Anonymous Tad February 14, 2013 11:26 AM  

@James

> It's everything but the truth, right?

Well, Peter, since Tad is a habitual liar himself...


Well, in this case the "truth" is a little hard to get at isn't it, since we are talking about conversations that happen in people's heads and can't be observed in any way at all.

Second, you can't offer up one lie I've told. Shall we consider this a miracle or a matter of your own deficiencies or due to the fact that it has never happened?

Anonymous JartStar February 14, 2013 11:30 AM  

I think the issue is confused between the very small minority who are looking for a real “sign from God” so they can believe, and the vast majority of resolute non-believers who want to turn God into their own Cosmic Monkey of party favors or just make the argument to argue.

Blogger James Dixon February 14, 2013 11:30 AM  

> Second, you can't offer up one lie I've told.

Tad, I've called you a liar probably half a dozen time in these very fora, and quoted the relevant lies at the time.

Anonymous Mike M. February 14, 2013 11:33 AM  

I suspect that God isn't working the big, gaudy miracles because we might reverse engineer them - and they involve higher physics we aren't ready for. You don't hand a toddler a loaded gun, even if he will be able to handle one responsibly when he's grown up.

The subtle miracles are quite another matter. There's an elegance to them.

Anonymous Tad February 14, 2013 11:35 AM  

@Jart

the vast majority of resolute non-believers who want to turn God into their own Cosmic Monkey of party favors

This isn't the common act of non believers. This is the common act of believers. How many times do I have to watch and listen to someone thank God for some random easily explained event, explaining that had it not been for God they would have never got that pass in the end zone or never won the Oscar or never gotten their score to -18 under par to win the tournament or never received the job offer.

Talk about making your god a cosmic monkey of party favors.

Anonymous Tad February 14, 2013 11:36 AM  

@James

Tad, I've called you a liar probably half a dozen time in these very fora, and quoted the relevant lies at the time.

Just because you don't like what I say or don't understand what I say doesn't mean I'm lying. Surely you can do better than this.

Blogger Original George (There can be only one!) February 14, 2013 11:36 AM  

"However, the fact is miracles do still occur. Consider Phil Mickelson's 2nd shot on the par 5, 13th hole in the 2010 Masters from under the trees, in the brush, over water and down to the pin." - Tad

A miracle Tad would be if Mickelson's putter took itself out of his bag and made the same shot. See the difference?

Again People...Refer to the greatest most documented miracle in history. A person not only merely dead but also most sincerely dead...rising from the grave on the third day.

Anonymous Tad February 14, 2013 11:37 AM  

@Mike


The subtle miracles are quite another matter. There's an elegance to them


Which are these?

Anonymous Tad February 14, 2013 11:41 AM  

@Original George

Again People...Refer to the greatest most documented miracle in history. A person not only merely dead but also most sincerely dead...rising from the grave on the third day.

To say nothing of the time when a person floated above the ground with no aid, waved his hands and instantly saw a barren field turn to colorful flowers before looking upward, waving his hand and instantly making the clouds gather and the rain appear.

This happened in Nebraska about 70 years ago. The problem was that there were no witnesses. But we know it's true because my great uncle George heard about it from a guy at the Five and Dime who knew this guy who knew the brother of the person who performed the miracle.

Anonymous alexamenos February 14, 2013 11:41 AM  

Here's a riddle: If an agnostic were the subject of a miracle, would he know it?
-------------------
I'm meeting up with some buddies at a bar one evening, and as I get out of my car and start to head down the sidewalk I stop dead in my tracks. I hadn't forgotten anything. It hadn't occurred to me that I had forgotten something. Yet I turned around, looked back to my car for a few seconds and then literally asked myself, 'why are you standing here staring at your car for absolutely no reason?'.

Somewhat befuddled, I restarted my walk down the side walk, and it's at this point that a car smashes into one of those old newspaper vending machines. The machine flies and then skids down the sidewalk, finally coming to a stop quite literally at my feet.

Nobody was hurt in the accident, but had I not stopped and stared (as if in a trance) at my car for a just a few seconds, I would have been square in the path of either the vending machine or the car (which smashed into a building). If you'd seen that machine flying through the air, you'd have no doubt that it would have done a lot of damage had it struck me square in the chest.

Granted, this isn't exactly a Lazarus level event, but at the very least a few seconds of inexplicably odd behavior saved me a lot of pain and time in the hospital.

Miracle? Coincidence? Spontaneous remission? Hoax? Beats the hell out of me...
-----------------------
This seems to me the inherent nature of faith and miracles and whatnot. Expecting persuasive evidence premised on natural, materialist constraints is like asking for a bowl of tomato soup that you can eat with chopsticks. The result is going to be messy at best.

Anonymous Athor Pel February 14, 2013 11:49 AM  

This reminds me of something I found recently.

Deuteronomy 18:15-22

and a related verse that is not as explicit
Numbers 12:6

These verses answer the question, "why doesn't God talk to mankind directly as He did with Moses?"

Simply put Israel couldn't stand to listen to the Lord's voice. They practically begged Moses to do the talking and leave them out of it since the Lord's voice was so awesome and caused so much fear among them. They feared dying as a result of personally experiencing the Lord's voice and presence.

God agreed with the sentiment and instructed them to stand farther away, which I take to mean that Israel's desire to avoid direct experience of God's glory in this case was not caused by rebellion but by true reverence for the Lord God.

Anonymous Tad February 14, 2013 11:50 AM  

@Alexamenos

This seems to me the inherent nature of faith and miracles and whatnot. Expecting persuasive evidence premised on natural, materialist constraints is like asking for a bowl of tomato soup that you can eat with chopsticks. The result is going to be messy at best.

There's nothing messy about this.

The vending machine simply didn't hit the person. People are spared injury every day because of a random decision.

Anonymous Mutly February 14, 2013 11:51 AM  

I'm with Josh. Miracles happen all the time. However they are completely unprovable specifically because they are outside the natural laws and repeatability. (Well maybe depending on your interpretation of quantum physics)

Healing is a far bigger miracle then most think though because usually it's flying against even the faith of the healed. Weather on the other hand is far more flexible.

As far as large miracles go I think the Red Sea was really the Reed Sea like some translators think. First there is archeological evidence. Second having grown up around swampy terrain I'm pretty sure that making it through one with no guide while being pursued by soldiers is a miracle.

Anonymous Tad February 14, 2013 11:53 AM  

@Athor

These verses answer the question, "why doesn't God talk to mankind directly as He did with Moses?"

If the God who can purportedly raise a person from the dead and create heaven and earth can't figure out how to whisper in a non-threatening manner, then I think it might be time to re-think your commitment to this particular God...Or at least consider the nature of his recent injuries.

Anonymous raggededge February 14, 2013 11:53 AM  

Tad: However, the fact is miracles do still occur. Consider Phil Mickelson's 2nd shot on the par 5, 13th hole in the 2010 Masters from under the trees, in the brush, over water and down to the pin.

No, the miracle would have been if he would have hit the 3 foot eagle putt, the shot for him was easy.

Josh: So...explain to me how that tumor disappeared all by itself...

Tad, would you like to address this one? Even Mickelson's 5-iron couldn't make a tumor disappear.

Anonymous Anonymous February 14, 2013 11:53 AM  

I would submit the Battle of Midway as possible evidence that God still performs major miracles in our age.

-- Wadly

Anonymous Mutly February 14, 2013 11:53 AM  

As to why God doesn't talk to people:
First comes the Prophet, then comes the Priest, finally the teacher of the Scripture. 2 of them have a vested interest in making sure no-one listens.

Blogger Nate February 14, 2013 11:54 AM  

"It would be an effing miracle if God could directly answer one of my prayers even just once. And please don't give me this crap about Him responding to everything it's just that we don't necessarily like the answers... I know benign neglect when I see it."

When the peasant repeatedly makes demands of the King... and the King ignores the peasant...

Do we conclude the King does not exist?

God is not Santa Claus son. I suggest you read the Bible more... and listen less to the women at church.

Anonymous Mystery Man February 14, 2013 11:58 AM  

The vending machine simply didn't hit the person. People are spared injury every day because of a random decision.

I believe you type by bashing your face randomly against the keyboard. There is no good reason to believe that you are trying to convey any meaning, because it could be the result of randomness.

I am firmly convinced of this, but you are welcome to try to disprove it. Go ahead. There's no reason to assume intent where randomness can explain an event.

Blogger Original George (There can be only one!) February 14, 2013 11:58 AM  

@Tad If you are really interested in evidence of miracles look at the most documented miracle in history. I am talking about evidence. There are whole books on the subject.
You take word of mouth evidence all the time. You been to Moscow? No? How do you know it is there? Pictures? ....duh Photoshop!

Anonymous Josh February 14, 2013 12:00 PM  

Tad,

Did you look at the link I provided about the scientific study on healing miracles?

Anonymous Mystery Man February 14, 2013 12:00 PM  

It would be an effing miracle if God could directly answer one of my prayers even just once.

That's the definition of "miracle". Good job.

And please don't give me this crap about Him responding to everything it's just that we don't necessarily like the answers...I know benign neglect when I see it.

Deist, then? So what are you upset about?

Blogger James Dixon February 14, 2013 12:00 PM  

> Surely you can do better than this.

I could, but the archives are there for anyone who wants to search them. And all they have to do is wait and observe your posts for themselves. You'll make my points for me, the same as you always do.

Anonymous allyn71 February 14, 2013 12:01 PM  

What is the definition of a "Big Miracle"?

Even a cursory glance at the Oct. 13th, 1917 (very contemporary in biblical standards) Miracle of the Sun with between 50,000- 70,000 witnesses would seem to be a pretty good example.


"The Old Testament aside, it seems perfectly obvious that miracles actually would create believers, but what is more than likely here is that miracles don’t actually happen and have never happened, even during the time periods covered by the Old (and New) Testament." - das Fleisch Esser February 14, 2013 9:37 AM

This is just a willfully ignorant statement that overlooks mountains of documented evidence for Miracles that have occurred in both the Old and New Testament.

As has been pointed out already by many on here already (and is being currently illustrated by Tard and his lot, by the way Tad do you have a problem counting to 5?) is that non-believers are that way because they willfully choose to be. Free will, the Fall of Man and all that. It is clear that God conducts Miracles to serve his purposes when and how he chooses.

Anonymous Tad February 14, 2013 12:01 PM  

@raggededge

Josh: So...explain to me how that tumor disappeared all by itself...

Tad, would you like to address this one? Even Mickelson's 5-iron couldn't make a tumor disappear.


I can see you don't put nearly enough faith in Mickelson and his five iron, oh ye of little faith.

As for the tumor, are we back to "it must be God's work if I don't understand how it happened?" Sheesh.

Blogger Bob Wallace February 14, 2013 12:02 PM  

@Soga

"So Dorner wasn't God's judgement on the LAPD?"

Hubris followed by Nemesis. Hubris originally meant to humiliate someone in public and it was always followed by Nemesis, which is revenge.

The LAPD spent a long time humiliating people, which was followed by revenge. Dorner will happen again.

Anonymous alexamenos February 14, 2013 12:03 PM  

There's nothing messy about this.

The vending machine simply didn't hit the person. People are spared injury every day because of a random decision.


I would have expected nothing less from you Tad. You reject a priori even the possibility of miracles, and lo and behold you conclude that there are no miracles. Your reasoning isn't big enough to be circular...it's 'dotular'.

Blogger Giraffe February 14, 2013 12:05 PM  

As for the tumor, are we back to "it must be God's work if I don't understand how it happened?" Sheesh.

When the laws of nature are broken, it is logical to look for something outside those laws.

Anonymous Mystery Man February 14, 2013 12:05 PM  

Your reasoning isn't big enough to be circular...it's 'dotular'.

There is no reason to believe in such a thing as a "second dimension". I mean, it could be just unexplained first-dimensional phenomena. You don't know!

Blogger TontoBubbaGoldstein February 14, 2013 12:05 PM  

Come on, Josh!!

Play the "Lucy Pinder's Tits" card.

TKO/No Contest

Blogger Original George (There can be only one!) February 14, 2013 12:06 PM  

"...non-believers are that way because they willfully choose to be. Free will, the Fall of Man and all that. It is clear that God conducts Miracles to serve his purposes when and how he chooses." - allyn71

And that is the perfect distillation of this entire thread. Well said allyn.

Anonymous Tad February 14, 2013 12:06 PM  

@james

And all they have to do is wait and observe your posts for themselves. You'll make my points for me, the same as you always do.

This sounds suspiciously like, "We know that miracles occur because we know one will happen in the future."

Probably the best argument for the existence of miracles I've seen on this thread yet.

Blogger njartist February 14, 2013 12:06 PM  

The real problem is: "Why don't people perceive his judgments?"

Anonymous Tad February 14, 2013 12:08 PM  

@Giraffe

When the laws of nature are broken, it is logical to look for something outside those laws.

Fair enough. All you need to do now is meticulously describe which law of nature was broken, how it was broken, and how you know it was broken and how you know another law of nature was not in fact adhered to in the disappearance of the tumor.

Anonymous Josh February 14, 2013 12:09 PM  

Play the "Lucy Pinder's Tits" card.

That is a good card to play.

So is Jessica Alba's ass.

Blogger Original George (There can be only one!) February 14, 2013 12:11 PM  

""The real problem is: "Why don't people perceive his judgments?"" - njartist

Sheep and Goats. Exceedingly sad.

Blogger Giraffe February 14, 2013 12:12 PM  

Fair enough. All you need to do now is meticulously describe which law of nature was broken, how it was broken, and how you know it was broken and how you know another law of nature was not in fact adhered to in the disappearance of the tumor.

That's Josh's call. I just have to decide whether or not I believe him.

Anonymous clk February 14, 2013 12:13 PM  

When you have been around for infinity ... 4000 years is a flash... maybe God is just on a bathroom break... when he returns and looks down on his monitor on us he say .."holy shit, sweet Mary and Joseph... what are these crazy humans doing now... you know these damn humans have been more trouble than they are worth.. why cant they be more like dogs .. now there's a creation that can make a creator proud ... maybe there is something better on channel 24678564..."

Anonymous Mystery Man February 14, 2013 12:13 PM  

All you need to do now is meticulously describe which law of nature was broken, how it was broken, and how you know it was broken and how you know another law of nature was not in fact adhered to in the disappearance of the tumor.

Furthermore, Giraffe, prove the existence of an omniscient being by proving you're omniscient. Then Tad will demonstrate how you actually aren't, because it's possible you have an elaborate spy network feeding you information by heretofore unknown, but totally measurable means.

Then promenade.

Anonymous Josh February 14, 2013 12:15 PM  

Tad, prove that you're a real person.

Blogger Original George (There can be only one!) February 14, 2013 12:15 PM  

"you know these damn humans have been more trouble than they are worth.." clk

Thank God...he did not think so. Please see John 3:16

Blogger Original George (There can be only one!) February 14, 2013 12:17 PM  

Thank God...he did not think so. Please see John 3:16
Sorry correction...Thank God...He did not think so. Please see John 3:16

Anonymous szook February 14, 2013 12:19 PM  

My response to the OP would be very similar to Vox. I point to this link for a good run down of this issue:

Miracle Dynamics

Anonymous Edjamacator February 14, 2013 12:19 PM  

This is not a big miracle at all, but it is one that I personally experienced. While a student at collage, I lost my wallet. I retraced my steps and couldn't find it. I looked in my car and had the same result. I looked in my car extremely carefully, and it was not a large car. I am not blind and this was during the day.

After checking out my path and my car, I figured I left my wallet at home. This was during the days I actually carried cash, so I needed to find that thing. I drove home and checked everywhere I could. I couldn't find it.

I gave up, prayed that God would show me where it was as I evidently couldn't find it. As soon as I did, I had a mental image of my wallet sitting at a certain spot in my car, with something sticking out of it a bit.

I chided myself for what I thought was my own mental image. I had already checked out the car in detail and even that spot. However, I was urged to go back out to the car and look again. I found the wallet there looking exactly how it did in my mental image. The same little bit of paper sticking out of it, the same angle on the floor, everything.

Now, I'm sure someone like Tad would say "obviously you saw the wallet there and then reminded yourself of it later." To which I would say, you're a flaming moron as HAD I seen the wallet there I would have picked it up as I was looking for it at the time. I wouldn't have seen it and then ignored it.

I also had another small event where once, and only once, I was "urged" to do something and despite my disbelief that it was necessary, did it and then saw why I had to do it, but I'll spare you that one.

Anonymous David February 14, 2013 12:21 PM  

"The Old Testament aside, it seems perfectly obvious that miracles actually would create believers, but what is more than likely here is that miracles don’t actually happen and have never happened, even during the time periods covered by the Old (and New) Testament."

Scholars have pointed out after Jesus died, his movement really should have died with him. He had eleven core apostles, and those were not what you would call intellectual or oratorical heavyweights(fishermen, tax collector, etc) and maybe 10x that in fairly dedicated followers(men and women).

And yet Christianity took off. One of the few explanations for that is those followers were performing inexplicable miracles which attracted more and more people. Most of the other explanations for it demonstrate large amounts of historical ignorance(such as the explanation that ancient people were all stupid).

Blogger Original George (There can be only one!) February 14, 2013 12:24 PM  

"Most of the other explanations for it demonstrate large amounts of historical ignorance(such as the explanation that ancient people were all stupid)." - David

Well you have to admit David...they did not believe in Evolution or have Facebook.

Anonymous Mystery Man February 14, 2013 12:26 PM  

Most of the other explanations for it demonstrate large amounts of historical ignorance(such as the explanation that ancient people were all stupid).

Well, durr. Anyone older than you is dumber than you. Evolution says so, and who are we to question its tenets?

Blogger Giraffe February 14, 2013 12:28 PM  

Since VD put that purple rabbit over there, I've been clicking it. These old Scalzi posts are kinda funny. Much better than what he's writing now.

Gamma humor about chocolate:

Slowly, her sphere of conciousness expands to include me, her husband, her life-long mate, her presumed partner in all things ecstatic.

“Hey, this is pretty good,” she’ll say. “You want some?”

No, I don’t. I want nothing to do with an object that does to my wife in one bite what I’ve worked for an entire relationship to achieve. It wouldn’t do any good, anyway. Men just don’t have the same relationship with chocolate that women do. It’s not even close.

Anonymous hardscrabble farmer February 14, 2013 12:38 PM  

As a farmer I witness miracles every single day. Of course jaded Americans with their thumbs glued to their Iphones wouldn't know what a miracle was if it hit them on the head.

Anonymous Anonymous February 14, 2013 12:39 PM  

Here is a miracle. Looking at the tragically misguided views of Tad rooted in the current zeitgeist, but for the grace of God, there go I.

WGM

Blogger Original George (There can be only one!) February 14, 2013 12:43 PM  

"Most of the other explanations for it demonstrate large amounts of historical ignorance(such as the explanation that ancient people were all stupid).

Well, durr. Anyone older than you is dumber than you. Evolution says so, and who are we to question its tenets?" - Mystery Man

It is easy to prove that the Ancients weren't as smart as we...just improve on one of their structures like the Great Pyramid. I will spot you the Computers, Printers and Laser Rangefinders. Oh wait. The Japanese in their heyday attempted a 60' scale model...but guess what? Had to use Heavy Equipment and Helicopters to place blocks...much smaller than those in the great pyramid. Booyah !

Anonymous Edjamacator February 14, 2013 12:45 PM  

No, I don’t. I want nothing to do with an object that does to my wife in one bite what I’ve worked for an entire relationship to achieve.

Chocolate makes her wish for a real man? Whodathunkit?

Blogger Original George (There can be only one!) February 14, 2013 12:49 PM  

Apparently my wife prefers white chocolate. Good for both of us and lower in calories.

Blogger Original George (There can be only one!) February 14, 2013 12:50 PM  

BTW...Where have all the contentious miracle seeking goats gone? Que the crickets.

Blogger Giraffe February 14, 2013 12:53 PM  

White chocolate is an abomination.

Blogger Original George (There can be only one!) February 14, 2013 12:55 PM  

But highly sought after. Non-fat and mostly protein I have been told.

Blogger Nate February 14, 2013 12:57 PM  

I have been trying to find this old post from my blog. It is extremely relevant to this post and miracles and how they are recieved by skeptics.

Enjoy.

http://bloggerblaster.blogspot.com/2009/06/suggestion-cognitive-dissonance-and.html

Blogger Markku February 14, 2013 12:57 PM  

It would be an effing miracle if God could directly answer one of my prayers even just once.

1Ki 19:8 And he arose, and did eat and drink, and went in the strength of that meat forty days and forty nights unto Horeb the mount of God.

1Ki 19:9 And he came thither unto a cave, and lodged there; and, behold, the word of the LORD [came] to him, and he said unto him, What doest thou here, Elijah?

Try fasting 40 days. If you're on par with Elijah, you might arguably have a reasonable expectation of an answer.

Blogger Pepper February 14, 2013 1:00 PM  

Seems like many of us in this thread are in agreement.

God wants man to a) know Him b) believe in Him c) act on their awareness of His existence.

At the initiation of both covenants God acted masterfully, deliberately and visibly in order to earn a reputation. In this way He established Himself as powerful and merciful thereby drawing man's attention to Him in the form of an earned reputation - one recorded for posterity. By establishing Himself as worthy He intrigues man to seek Him and trust in Him. Man sees what God did in the past and makes decisions to act on his beliefs in the present based on God's previous actions and the logical conclusion that "if God did that then...than He can do x right now too. He is trustworthy...". In other words, God is an historian...

Anonymous Mutly February 14, 2013 1:00 PM  

hardscrabble farmer --

"As a farmer I witness miracles every single day. Of course jaded Americans with their thumbs glued to their Iphones wouldn't know what a miracle was if it hit them on the head."

I couldn't agree more. The other thing they are missing is gratitude. Nobody knows more than farmers how much grace is needed on a yearly basis.

Blogger Markku February 14, 2013 1:01 PM  

(Hint for any aspies around: I'm not really advocating a 40 day fast. I'm just saying that if the BEST of the saints had to do that before God answered their prayers, it is absolutely nuts to be offended if he doesn't answer ours, which are typically said once before bedtime.)

Anonymous Anonymous February 14, 2013 1:02 PM  

The big miracle is love. God created us with free will because we would be unable to acheive real love without it. He loved the degenerate, rebellious human race so much that he became one of us and willingly went to the cross that all might be saved. The martyrs of the early church demonstrated their love for God by refusing to say that Ceasar was Lord. We demonstrate our love for God by growing in grace and the knowledge of Him through the study of His Word. And the hard part...when we demonstate His quality of love to our fellow humans, not with the counterfiet love of the Godless and and carnal believers. WGM

Anonymous Chunkdz February 14, 2013 1:06 PM  

Here's a relatively modern miracle.

http://telicthoughts.com/the-stuff-of-dreams-predictionsfrom-the-other-side/

Anonymous Alexander February 14, 2013 1:07 PM  

Tad,

Tracking you down is very difficult. You'll recall earlier where you hemmed and hawed over answering my questions regarding the very real possibility of gun confiscation. Regarding California, you said "show me a bill". While I argued that a bill was unnecessary because what mattered was that politicians were openly talking about it... happily, the Democrats in Missouri have removed even this barrier:

http://www.house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills131/biltxt/intro/HB0545I.HTM

If you'll recall, my three questions for you are:

1. Do you concede that the political class does, in fact, intend to confiscate legally owned guns from the citizenry? That gun confiscation is a legitimate concern for gun owners?

2. Do you believe this legislation is acceptable?

3. Beyond whether or not you personally believe it to be acceptable, to you believe it to be constitutional.

Anonymous Josh February 14, 2013 1:19 PM  

BTW...Where have all the contentious miracle seeking goats gone? Que the crickets.

We've blinded them with science.

Anonymous Edjamacator February 14, 2013 1:20 PM  

We've blinded them with science.

Maybe they're miraculously left with nothing to say.

Anonymous Tad February 14, 2013 1:21 PM  

@Edjumacator

Now, I'm sure someone like Tad would say "obviously you saw the wallet there and then reminded yourself of it later." To which I would say, you're a flaming moron as HAD I seen the wallet there I would have picked it up as I was looking for it at the time. I wouldn't have seen it and then ignored it.

Whether you choose to admit it or not, this is nothing like a "miracle". It's much more like you not seeing your wallet in the first place. Humans look past concrete things all the time. It's the origin of the phrase, "if it were a snake it would have bit me". Furthermore, what happened in your head and mind can't be confirmed, may not be as you describe it and for all we know, may never have happened at all.

Anonymous Anonymous February 14, 2013 1:23 PM  

Tad, answer Alexander's questions.

And then...

Shut up, Tad.

Blogger Original George (There can be only one!) February 14, 2013 1:23 PM  

Got Ilkified. Better recognize.

Anonymous Mystery Man February 14, 2013 1:27 PM  

Furthermore, what happened in your head and mind can't be confirmed, may not be as you describe it and for all we know, may never have happened at all.

Translation: "I do not like your evidence. Therefore, you are lying."

Anonymous Andre February 14, 2013 1:28 PM  

Alright, this was supposed to be in another thread, but I'm not sure if Outlaw X is still checking there. So OT here, sorry for that.

Outlaw X, as a Baptist, I am completely confused on the subject of eschatology. You seem to have a pretty sound grasp on the subject and I viewed your posts on the "Pope Resigns" thread with deep and sincere interest.

Could you please recommend books on the subject? I am ignorant and am seeking enlightenment. Also, so you'll like me, my favorite writer is G. K. Chesterton. I'm not afraid to read Catholic writers in the slightest, and I've read "The Resurrection of The Son of God" by N. T. Wright. Much respect and thanks in advance!

Blogger ajw308 February 14, 2013 1:37 PM  

Don't feed the troll.

Don't feed the troll.

Oh no, I'm going to do it anyway.

The vending machine simply didn't hit the person. People are spared injury every day because of a random decision.

Where's your reading comprehension? It wasn't a random decision. Didn't you understand that? Go back and read the account again.

Anonymous Stuart February 14, 2013 1:40 PM  

Also worth considering is that maybe he does. I'm pretty skeptical about a lot of miracle claims, but I've been reading a 2 volume work by Craig Keener called _Miracles_ and it's got me rethinking my position.

That still doesn't mean that they are relatively commonplace, esp in the Western world, but it's worth keeping in mind.

Blogger Morrison February 14, 2013 1:45 PM  

Even Dawkins ends up in Hell...he won't believe.

There is Dawkins, in Hell, thinking "This is a horrible reaction to the anesthesia, it is all an illusion. I know it can't be real, and the doctors will bring me out of it soon. They said the surgery was routine. This can't go on!"

"This will stop soon...but it seems like I have been here...forever. I will come out of it soon...soon..."

Anonymous Glaceirman February 14, 2013 1:46 PM  

Oh ye of little faith!

There are miracles and there are healings, not the same thing.

Miracles are things which happen outside of the natural laws which govern our world like gravity, physics, etc. They would also include creative miracles like getting new eyeballs (a friend prayed for a person in Cambodia and where an empty socket once was, right before their eyes, a brand new eyeball which was fully functional was created) which caused quite the stir in the village and community where he lived. Many came to believe in Jesus after that. That was 2 years ago.

Another type of miracle which one of my best friends witnessed. He was an extreme mountain guide hiking with a group on the glaciers on the west coast of British Columbia. One of the girls in the group slipped and started sliding down on the snow, heading towards a cliff of well over 1000 feet. The incline increased, as did her speed. She was clawing and digging her feet into the snow to try and stop or slow her decent, but to no avail. He watched in horror at her certain death plunge about to happen. He called out to God and she abruptly stopped about 8 feet from the edge, perfectly still. They had to get to her with ropes so they would not fall off the incline, with her stuck to the snow. There are witnesses to the whole thing.

That is a miracle from 20+ yrs ago.

Healings are the alignment of natural things to their given purpose and function. Broken bones, skin ailments, mental and emotional woundings, scarring and distorted or wrong thinking.

I had a healing in my own life. Had a medically verified deadly allergy to cold by a top immunologist's written documentation to prove this. Got specific prayer for the healing of this disease close to 3 years later over a course of one month. Walked in with the disease, got intense prayer for 5 minutes and walked out completely healed. Have been enjoying winter sports and activities for the past 3 years since. No problems or reactions since that day! Thank you Father, Son and Holy Spirit!!!!!

You want to see miracles and healings? Go to places where they happen. Start healing people, by the Name of Jesus, yourselves. Jesus commanded his disciples (that is what we are if we do what He called us to do) to HEAL THE SICK. He didn't say pray for the sick, He said HEAL. We just need to have the faith, pure as a mustard seed and just as small. Then our faith will grow into a large tree, fully mature.

Blogger Morrison February 14, 2013 1:46 PM  

Even Dawkins ends up in Hell...he won't believe.

There is Dawkins, in Hell, thinking "This is a horrible reaction to the anesthesia, it is all an illusion. I know it can't be real, and the doctors will bring me out of it soon. They said the surgery was routine. This can't go on!"

"This will stop soon...but it seems like I have been here...forever. I will come out of it soon...soon..."

Anonymous Josh February 14, 2013 1:49 PM  

You want to see miracles and healings? Go to places where they happen. Start healing people, by the Name of Jesus, yourselves. Jesus commanded his disciples (that is what we are if we do what He called us to do) to HEAL THE SICK. He didn't say pray for the sick, He said HEAL. We just need to have the faith, pure as a mustard seed and just as small. Then our faith will grow into a large tree, fully mature.

Preach

Blogger WATYF February 14, 2013 1:53 PM  

For DL....

The are a few fallacies inherent in your friend's argument.

First is the idea that "miracles" have to be observed by the person making the complaint (or that they even have to be in close enough proximity that they could hear about them). As Markku pointed out, the Bible is basically a "highlight reel" of God's interactions with humans. It wasn't a "daily" event for most of history. The vast, vast majority of humans during Biblical times never saw a miracle. So even assuming the Bible is true, there's no logical reason to assume that God is under obligation to do miracles on some schedule that's regular enough and widespread enough that you yourself would see them.

Second is the idea that miracles no longer happen. This view is most prominent in the West, since we're already Christianized and deal with a whole lot of doubt that God even exists (let alone performs miracles), not to mention Christians who make shit up about their experiences, which also clouds up the waters. If you were to go to a third-world nation and follow around a missionary group, there's a good chance that you would see one for yourself. A group from our church just got back from rural India and they witnessed some themselves. So in addition to the first assumption (that they have to see a miracle personally) they don't even bother to go to the places where a miracle might happen. They're setting the bar at a completely irrational level.

Third is the idea that somehow miracles must be performed by a Deity in order for Him to exist. This is simply assumptive. If we're discussing the God described in the Bible, then we know that He has changed His M.O. numerous times over the course of history (ranging from "completely hands-on" to "completely silent"). There's no reason to believe that He has to keep up the same regiment of miracles that He used during, say, the exodus from Egypt. In fact, scripture dictates that we shouldn't expect that. And even if we're speaking about a theoretical deity, we still have no reason to believe that "observable miracles" have to be part of the equation. So "seeing a miracle" isn't even inherent to the concept of belief in a deity in general, let alone the Christian God specifically.


I'm going to go ahead and disagree with the people who are saying that miracles don't ever happen to help people believe. Jesus said, on more than one occasion, that something was done so that people would believe (Lazarus is one such example). He used His miracles as a point of proof, in fact, during His appeals to the people.

Now, that doesn't mean that "belief" is the only reason He does them. Some times, it's to manipulate events (Exodus) and some times it's simply for His glory (healing of the man born blind).

WATYF

Anonymous Glacierman February 14, 2013 1:53 PM  

Listen and go do the same (be disciples)

Anonymous joe doakes February 14, 2013 1:54 PM  

I don't know why the big miracles aren't happening, but I agree with others that little ones still do. My wife and I went to the Guthrie Theatre but even though we discussed it and intended to take 35W to Minneapolis as we had a thousand times before, I found myself on 280 instead of 35W, no idea how. We came across the river on Washington Avenue instead of the 35W bridge and about three blocks in we met every cop and ambulance in Minneapolis blazing the other direction to the bridge that just fell down. Coincidence? Maybe, but I don't believe it. And no, I don't think I'm special - if anything, the Lord was protecting my wife and I was along for the ride!

Blogger ray February 14, 2013 2:02 PM  

that was a pretty good response to the question

however, God certainly is doing miracles currently, but most are being done in non-overt ways, largely for the reasons explained by the site host

9-1-1 for example, was a miracle . . . but then, of course that's not what people want to think of as a miracle

sadly for humanity, God really doesnt care what The Almighty People "think" ... aside from the prayers of his (few) servants

the indonesian quake/tsunami of 2004 was another direct intervention, yet few "christians" would regard the event as anything except "natural" which it assuredly was not

Dildo Dawkins and Co, in their teeming arrogance, of course concur

the release of the little boy from the underground vault in alabama recently was directly attributable to God, and w/o the LORD's personal intervention, that boy would be dead right now

course, the Almighty People wanna think that Sheriff Wally and the Daly County Employees fetched that child outta the mire

so much for The Peoples Wisdom

lol kinda like The Peoples Court

i'm glad to see this site writing about a serious and profitable topic, and even gladder (a word?) to hear the post response

Blogger Original George (There can be only one!) February 14, 2013 2:04 PM  

Nice Joe...


"Whether you choose to admit it or not, this is nothing like a "miracle"." - Tad

We are talking semantics here. There are two degrees of Miracles if you will. The first is a very very unlikely occurrence used by God to communicate with his children and occasionally others. For instance... praying for and getting a wife ...and getting Jessica Biel's identical twin (separated at birth), who is a gourmet chef, loves children and Jesus and just inherited her Father's estate worth 40 million Euros after taxes. That is the first kind...The second is a person that receives their sight instantly after a lifetime of blindness (not caused by hysteria Dr Freud.) Or again being dead for say three days and then getting up and walking around. Both are miracles however the one is a complete suspension of natural physical law. Like..ordering a gale force wind to stop instantly upon command.
Finding a wallet, making a shot, getting an idiot to see reason, those are very grand "minor" miracles in their own right but walking on water...raising people from the dead, now THOSE are miracles! People saw those exact miracles and refused to deny that they did see them even though seconds later they were being fed to some very hungry lions.... And that is how one Guy and some of his closest friends changed the world.

Wake up...open your eyes. See a miracle in your own life...or not. Your choice.

Anonymous Anonymous February 14, 2013 2:09 PM  

One reason Jesus Christ performed miracles was to fullfill the prophesies that He would do just that. They helped to establish that He was the Messiah and not just one of the many false messiahs. Miracles were an eye-opener but faith runs much deeper. It is the confidence that that Jesus is who He said He is and the confident expectation that He will do what is yet undone--restore the material universe and grant eternal life to those who believe in His name. WGM

Anonymous catahoula February 14, 2013 2:11 PM  

Twenty years ago on a Friday I stepped on an old nail. It went deep into my heel, and by Sunday morning it was hot, red and extremely sensitive. I could not put weight on it, so I hobbled into church on the ball of that foot.

I went up for prayer, thinking it would not hurt anything, and after the prayer I felt my shoe filling up with warm honey. I kept looking at it, since what I saw did not match what my foot felt.

I heard that soft voice say, "put your foot on the floor...go ahead, put it on the floor." I didn't want to do it, but I did, and it was sore, but not excruciating like it had been. I stood on that foot, I hopped on that foot down the aisle, for it had been healed.

I had not expected God to care about my stupid nail hole, but He did, and he healed it even though I didn't think he would.

Blogger Lud VanB February 14, 2013 2:13 PM  


"Scholars have pointed out after Jesus died, his movement really should have died with him."


the same could be said about Islam surviving the death of mohamed or buddhism after the "ascension" of Buddha. so is belief in a particular religion over a long period of time after its inception really evidence of the truth of said religion? hell, the sumerian belief system endured over 4000 years before it finally disapeared.

Blogger Original George (There can be only one!) February 14, 2013 2:14 PM  

"Miracles were an eye-opener but faith runs much deeper. It is the confidence that that Jesus is who He said He is and the confident expectation that He will do what is yet undone--restore the material universe and grant eternal life to those who believe in His name." - WGM aka Anonymous

"...(Doubting) Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!” Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” – John 20

Blogger Lud VanB February 14, 2013 2:15 PM  

"One reason Jesus Christ performed miracles was to fullfill the prophesies that He would do just that."


one of those "prophecies" was that the events of the book of revelation would come to pass in the earthly lifetime of his apostles

Anonymous Chunkdz February 14, 2013 2:16 PM  

What, if anything, would an atheist consider to be divine intervention?

Anonymous Kickass February 14, 2013 2:16 PM  

From personal experience, there have been several times when God has intervened in a miraculous way on my behalf. I took this not only as a demonstration of my belonging to Him, but as a stamp of my belonging to Him...maybe to an unseen world.

These built trust in me and gave me faith when I was leaping out into a situation that seen from my vantage point looked like the death of me.

Of course, my children will gladly launch themselves into my arms knowing I will always catch them. I always have. The first time was hard to convince them and must have seemed like a miracle as well. To me, it was just a joy to demonstrate how powerful and trustworthy I am.

As for the unbelievers, there are some who will see and believe. Most will simply want to attack you more. You can't look to the dead world to understand the land of the living.

I take the notion that we are behind enemy lines. However, the King we belong to is so powerful that He can send in teams to help us evade or protect us from the enemy. There is great tactical planning and maneuvering going on. Remember, no one saw much of what the plan was for Jesus coming and Paul says that was a specific tactical move by God against the devil. I can assure you, through a miracle, I was plucked from an enemy stronghold and he never saw me coming either.

Though some of us will be killed quickly in battle and others will become veterans of many. This in no way shows that the King has no power, simply that He desires War, willing soldiers and that the enemy cannot stop Him.

Anonymous Kickass February 14, 2013 2:19 PM  

@ Lud Van B please cite chapter and verse the Prophecies that you are talking about. Thanks.

Blogger Original George (There can be only one!) February 14, 2013 2:19 PM  

The second wave of the Goat assault commences. I gotta bounce. Onward my brothers ...

Anonymous Outlaw X February 14, 2013 2:19 PM  

Andre-"Alright, this was supposed to be in another thread, but I'm not sure if Outlaw X is still checking there. So OT here, sorry for that."

Go look at "pope Retires" post by Vox, I left the last post there about this.

Blogger Lud VanB February 14, 2013 2:20 PM  

"What, if anything, would an atheist consider to be divine intervention?"

i dont know about atheists but i d certainly be inclined to believe in divine interventions if an angel suddently materialized in my living room complete with wings and halo and all and proceeded to answer any question i have concerning the bible upon my simply asking for it right now.

Anonymous Anonymous February 14, 2013 2:20 PM  

"one of those "prophecies" was that the events of the book of revelation would come to pass in the earthly lifetime of his apostles" Lud VanB

And they did indeed. Study the fall of Jerusalem in 70 AD. Also study the Emperor Domtian (666)and his reign. Much will become clear. WGM

Blogger Original George (There can be only one!) February 14, 2013 2:21 PM  

Kickass...Kickass

Blogger Lud VanB February 14, 2013 2:22 PM  

Matthew 16: 27, 28
Matthew 24: 25-34

Anonymous Kickass February 14, 2013 2:23 PM  

@ Edjamacatar, I agree with some of what you said. I would add that the "God" we are discussing was also using much of that entire experience to demonstrate a difference between Himself and the gods of the Egyptians and His superiority. Think of each plague and how it relates to gods the Egyptians worshiped. God basically put an ass whupping on each of their gods.

Anonymous Kickass February 14, 2013 2:24 PM  

So not a fan of History much Lud Van B?

Anonymous Kickass February 14, 2013 2:26 PM  

Lud, that can be easily arranged. I hear one named Lucifer and another named Moroni often do that. You set the bar for your own deception way too low.

Read the Bible instead. We are specifically warned against believing angels bringing a Gospel of any other type then the one given in the Bible and that the workers of darkness are great at disguise.

Blogger Lud VanB February 14, 2013 2:27 PM  

"So not a fan of History much Lud Van B?"


you mean history like say the events of the exodus you previously mentionned whihc even jewish archeologist and historioans now recognized never actually happened?

Anonymous Josh February 14, 2013 2:27 PM  

the same could be said about Islam surviving the death of mohamed or buddhism after the "ascension" of Buddha.

Mohammed had an army and was in the middle of conquering Arabia. Buddha was a member of Indian nobility who had great influence over the ruling classes. Jesus was a convicted and executed criminal, the son of a nobody, with few followers largely drawn from the lowest ranks of society.

Blogger Log February 14, 2013 2:28 PM  

The reason there are no more miracles among the "Christians" is because they are all hypocrites, barring none.

John 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

Therefore we know by the Holy Bible you worship that not one of you believe, despite your protestations.

Anonymous Kickass February 14, 2013 2:28 PM  

"the same could be said about Islam surviving the death of mohamed or buddhism after the "ascension" of Buddha. so is belief in a particular religion over a long period of time after its inception really evidence of the truth of said religion? hell, the sumerian belief system endured over 4000 years before it finally disapeared."

You miss the point Lud, you want to kill the Jesus movement simply produce the body.

Your logic is off, the Mystery Babylon religions in particular increased after the death of those who started it particularly because it was so much easier to mold myth then real live people.

Anonymous Josh February 14, 2013 2:32 PM  

Therefore we know by the Holy Bible you worship that not one of you believe, despite your protestations.

We don't worship the Bible, you twit. Nice to see you have such a broad understanding of Christian theology.

Anonymous Kickass February 14, 2013 2:32 PM  

"you mean history like say the events of the exodus you previously mentionned whihc even jewish archeologist and historioans now recognized never actually happened?"

Is that how you define historical proof that something did or didn't happened? That someone disagree it didn't happen, after the fact, against documentation that it did?

If that is ok with you, I would be willing to provide proof that some more stuff didn't happen either. Let's see, where shall we start.....

Really, you are putting your faith in the equivalent of a chick crying rape because the guy she banged never called her back.

Blogger Log February 14, 2013 2:33 PM  

We don't worship the Bible, you twit.

You don't worship God, or you would have miracles.

Anonymous Kickass February 14, 2013 2:34 PM  

@ Log, please back up your wild assumptions with actual chapter and verse from said Bible or tuck your tail between your legs and run fool.

@ Josh, shall we play kick the Biblical illiterate in the ass today? They all seem to be waving at us "Pick me!"

Anonymous Outlaw X February 14, 2013 2:35 PM  

Nate writes on his blog he refers in this post.

Suggestion, Cognitive Dissonance, and a Trip to Lourdes.

Did you notice the pope retired on our Lady of Lourdes Feb 11th. Most people don't know these things, but there was a reason for that. Look at his 2008 address on the matter.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/pope_recalls_the_feast_of_our_lady_of_lourdes/

People there are miracles, we are just so busy making dime, wasting time and generally being oblivious to the the miracle of creation itself, everything seems to escape us. Nate has the spirit of God in him.

Blogger Log February 14, 2013 2:35 PM  

John 9:31 Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.

Mark 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them: they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Anonymous Josh February 14, 2013 2:38 PM  

You don't worship God, or you would have miracles.

The verse says nothing about worship, it's about the believing in the power of God.

And, as has been previously documented on this thread, there are miracles today, and there have been miracles for two thousand years.

And, yes, adding them up, the miracles since Jesus left are greater than the ones He did while on earth.

Blogger Lud VanB February 14, 2013 2:38 PM  

"You miss the point Lud, you want to kill the Jesus movement simply produce the body."


it would not. Even if they produced the skeletal remains with all the correct wounds, it would not cause most christians to even blink. the nature of religious belief is to consider something to be absolutely true and beyond all possible doubt even in the absence of any supporting evidence or in the presence of contradicting evidence.

Blogger Log February 14, 2013 2:40 PM  

The verse says nothing about worship, it's about the believing in the power of God.

If you believed, you, Josh, Kickass, Vox, and the rest, would be doing the works of Christ. You are not doing the works of Christ, therefore you do not believe.

Anonymous Kickass February 14, 2013 2:43 PM  

@ Log, see how fruitless it is to simply Google something? You still don't make your point at all. You want to read the book, you see it actually has a ton of examples of this all happening. Have you ever heard of Paul, Peter, John...etc?

As for current days, it just appears that you haven't run up against an actual Christian. I would be happy to cast some devils out of you.

You see, trees are told by the fruit they bear. You might want to start looking for another orchard.

Anonymous Josh February 14, 2013 2:44 PM  

Mark 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them: they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Have you heard of the book of acts?

Also, those things happen to this day: demons are cast out, the sick are healed, people receive other tongues (I personally know of an African preacher who speaks over a dozen languages that he spontaneously was able to understand).

But you are emotionally and spiritually damaged, most likely because of unresolved daddy issues, and you have decided to hate God, most likely because you want to have sex in a manner prohibited by the Bible.

Blogger Log February 14, 2013 2:45 PM  

Repost for Kickass:

"The reason there are no more miracles among the "Christians" is because they are all hypocrites, barring none.

John 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

Therefore we know by the Holy Bible you worship that not one of you believe, despite your protestations."

Blogger Lud VanB February 14, 2013 2:45 PM  

"Is that how you define historical proof that something did or didn't happened? That someone disagree it didn't happen, after the fact, against documentation that it did?"


there s no such thing as historical proof...proof is a concept of mathematics, not historical accuracy or lack thereof. In history, evidence usually exists in the form of historical documents or artifacts of a given period in time that fit together to form the historical narrative.

Anonymous Kickass February 14, 2013 2:45 PM  

"If you believed, you, Josh, Kickass, Vox, and the rest, would be doing the works of Christ. You are not doing the works of Christ, therefore you do not believe."

@ Log, and your proof of this would be what?

Either you are a flaming moron or are one of the worst mediums of all time.

Pray tell how you know what works I have or have not done for my Lord?

Blogger Log February 14, 2013 2:48 PM  

Kickass, your words come from your heart, and I hear them.

Matthew 7: 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Anonymous Josh February 14, 2013 2:48 PM  

 In history, evidence usually exists in the form of historical documents or artifacts of a given period in time that fit together to form the historical narrative.

Then I take it that you do not believe in the existence of Alexander the great, Hannibal, or Julius Caesar due to the lack of evidence.

Blogger Lud VanB February 14, 2013 2:49 PM  

"But you are emotionally and spiritually damaged, most likely because of unresolved daddy issues, and you have decided to hate God, most likely because you want to have sex in a manner prohibited by the Bible"


ad hominems are indications that one has run out of intelligent things to say FYI.

Anonymous Kickass February 14, 2013 2:50 PM  

@ Lud, and the Bible would be what? You were public schooled right?

Hmm, your theories have such interesting applications. All the "progress" that progressives have made legally and politically can now be overturned by us all agreeing they didn't happen and then saying that any documentation that it did simply is false.

Civil partnerships? Didn't happen.
Legal abortion? Didn't happen.
Women's right to vote? Didn't happen.

Why, because I said so and some people agree with me!



Blogger Lud VanB February 14, 2013 2:52 PM  

"Then I take it that you do not believe in the existence of Alexander the great, Hannibal, or Julius Caesar due to the lack of evidence."


actually there is considerable evidence from a wide variety of sources that there men have existed

Anonymous das Fleisch Esser February 14, 2013 2:52 PM  

Kickass; the firt time anyone who wanted to "kill the Jesus movement" would have even known the production of a body would have been an viable option would have been 50 days after Jesus' death, at which point it wouldn't have done any good. This is in Acts 2.

Anonymous Kickass February 14, 2013 2:53 PM  

@ Log, what words would that be? It is easy to cut and paste. I will wait.

I am a very serious and devoted Christian. I would caution you to watch what you claim without a shred of evidence to back it up. You just might come to the horrifying conclusion that Jesus was talking to you.

Anonymous Josh February 14, 2013 2:53 PM  

ad hominems are indications that one has run out of intelligent things to say FYI.

That wasn't an ad hominem. I responded to your argument, and after doing so explained why you hate God.

Btw, what happened when you were 4 and did it involve a puppy?

Anonymous Kickass February 14, 2013 2:53 PM  

@ Josh, I am sorry, you cannot use those historical examples. I disagree they exist.

Anonymous Outlaw X February 14, 2013 2:55 PM  

Pray tell how you know what works I have or have not done for my Lord?

Had a deacon once give a homily in St Williams Catholic Church. He said he could walk down the pews and name each and everyone of our sins. I did the incomprehensible never forgiven sin of speaking back during a Homily and told him to come name mine in front of everyone. The priest stood up and stopped it and I got a tongue lashing after Mass. The Deacon was sent away the next week. We never saw him again.

Anonymous Kickass February 14, 2013 2:55 PM  

@ das, you are wrong.

Killing the "Jesus movement" was the goal of most of the Jews from the first time He announced who he was. Second, are you unaware of what day the grave was found empty?

Blogger WATYF February 14, 2013 2:55 PM  

one of those "prophecies" was that the events of the book of revelation would come to pass in the earthly lifetime of his apostles

The book of Revelations wasn't written when Jesus said this, so how could He possibly have been referring to it?

Read the context. He was talking about the destruction of the temple, which did happen while some of them were still alive.

WATYF

Blogger Lud VanB February 14, 2013 2:56 PM  

Kickass, you should really look up the term "strawman argument" before you say anything else.

1 – 200 of 407 Newer› Newest»

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS. Anonymous comments will be deleted.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts