ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2014 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Persecution in America

It's fascinating, is it not, how those who deny Jesus Christ, from Roman emperors to petty academic professors, are observably obsessed with forcing others to symbolically reject the name of Man's Lord and Savior:
A professor at Florida Atlantic University (FAU) Davie campus named Deandre Poole teaches an “Intercultural Communication” class from a textbook by the same name.  The textbook calls for an exercise where students write the name of Jesus in large letters on a piece of paper and then stomp on it.

Enter Ryan Rotela, a student in the class who happens to be a devout Mormon. Rotela refused to stomp and complained to Professor Poole, telling him, “Never do the assignment again because it’s offensive.”  Rotela also told the professor that he was going to complain to the university.  Then, according to Rotela, FAU responded by suspending him from Poole’s class.
It gets worse; the university is now going after the student, not the professor.  That's obviously questionable.  But as the PJ Tatler rightly puts it, the more important question is this: “Why was there only one student in the class who found stomping on Jesus objectionable?”

Never forget, this is the sort of "tolerance" that the atheists and pagans grant to the Christians after successfully demanding respect and tolerance from Western Christian culture.  It is becoming increasingly obvious that the genuine tolerance that was given to them may have been a serious mistake of cataclysmic proportions for everyone, including the atheists and pagans who have been granted free reign and are foolishly using their freedom to bring down a civilization more than a millennium in the making.

Labels: ,

286 Comments:

1 – 200 of 286 Newer› Newest»
Anonymous Toby Temple March 26, 2013 9:04 AM  

Lets see them try that on a picture of Mohammed before a Muslim student.

Anonymous Tallen March 26, 2013 9:07 AM  

That Hideous Strength

Blogger Joe A. March 26, 2013 9:14 AM  

Ugh, damn. I wanted to Facebook-link this, which is something I rarely do, but the picture of that damned Scalzi rabbit and his Rapey shirt pops up to represent the blog. Haha.

Anonymous Alexander March 26, 2013 9:17 AM  

Yeah, but you gotta remember that the teacher was probably raised a nominal Christian or walked by a church once, so he's actually religious. Can't blame atheists!

Anonymous Jed March 26, 2013 9:19 AM  

STOMP him! Spit on him!

Hang him on a tree!

Hang him from a Cross!

Never gets old for them, does it. What's fascinating is they think stomping on our Lord is somehow new and innovative.

Happy Easter.

Anonymous Anonymous March 26, 2013 9:27 AM  

Muslim convert quits Catholic Church, says it’s too weak against Islam...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith/muslim-convert-quits-catholic-church-says-its-too-weak-against-islam/2013/03/25/1e7f8d0c-9581-11e2-95ca-dd43e7ffee9c_story.html

Anonymous Anonymous March 26, 2013 9:29 AM  

Notice to newcomers: Don't be fooled. This creepy blog is strictly for faggots and other kinds of degenerates.

Anonymous Vidad March 26, 2013 9:31 AM  

Anonymous - you need to pick a name.

Anonymous Anonymous March 26, 2013 9:33 AM  

No, I don't. You're too immoral to know why.

Anonymous Tallen March 26, 2013 9:33 AM  

faggots and other kinds of degenerates

All are welcome amongst the Ilk. It's a very tolerant group here.

Anonymous JartStar March 26, 2013 9:34 AM  

What a surprise, the kid in the corner making fart noises spams the comments using Anonymous.

Blogger Positive Dennis March 26, 2013 9:34 AM  

I have a feeling that there is more to this story than we know.

Blogger Tiny Tim March 26, 2013 9:34 AM  

The current culture war is a war on Christians and the earthly representation of Christ's teachings in our wonderful Constitution and Bill of Rights.

The last war to end all wars, which is the rise of the anti-Christ(ian) is upon us.

Anonymous Peter Garstig March 26, 2013 9:34 AM  

The textbook calls for an exercise where students write the name of Jesus in large letters on a piece of paper and then stomp on it.

How very grown up and enlighted.

Anonymous A. Man March 26, 2013 9:34 AM  

" It is becoming increasingly obvious that the genuine tolerance that was given to them may have been a serious mistake of cataclysmic proportions for everyone, including the atheists and pagans who have been granted free reign and are foolishly using their freedom to bring down a civilization more than a millennium in the making."


Christians never had the power to grant anything, let alone tolerance. The idea's they represented ran into ideas people of all persuasions found more powerful: Freedom and reason. That much is obvious.

As for the university "going after the student", the odds are pretty high that the student deserved it, having likely by threatening and harassing members of the faculty.

Anonymous Vidad March 26, 2013 9:34 AM  

FAU was my school. This doesn't surprise me in the least.

Though, as I wrote to my dad earlier this week, the lack of liberal guts is always amusing.

Why not stomp on Muhammad? His followers would get violent. Plus... we need them as voters!

Incidentally, this professor is also a leader of the Palm Beach Democratic Party.

Anonymous Vidad March 26, 2013 9:35 AM  

"You're too immoral to know why."

Okay... that made me chuckle.

Anonymous Vidad March 26, 2013 9:37 AM  

"As for the university "going after the student", the odds are pretty high that the student deserved it, having likely by threatening and harassing members of the faculty."

Yeah, totally. The Mormons I've known have been very threatening and aggressive.

He probably screamed "The armies of Kolob will desecrate your corpses!" then immediately made all the female students his wives.

Anonymous Anonymous March 26, 2013 9:37 AM  

Suffice to say, Jartstar, you're an asshole.

Anonymous A. Man March 26, 2013 9:39 AM  

"The last war to end all wars, which is the rise of the anti-Christ(ian) is upon us."

Christians have been criticizing and demonizing and worse to non Christians for centuries. Now, when Christians don't receive absolute deference, they think it's a "war" on Christians.

It's a bit like the little boy in third grade class who has been shooting rubber bands at the heads of kids in front of him, is finally told not to, and things the world is against him and breaks down in tears.

Anonymous physics geek March 26, 2013 9:39 AM  

What a brave professor. I would have found it braver still had Poole told the students to stomp on a picture of Mohammed. Then again, most leftists are actually gutless cowards.

Anonymous Outlaw X March 26, 2013 9:40 AM  

I was once told by a radio host that if we let Christians put the manger up on the courthouse lawn we also have to let Satinist put their stuff up. I asked him "Why?" he had no answer.

Anonymous A. Man March 26, 2013 9:42 AM  

"I was once told by a radio host that if we let Christians put the manger up on the courthouse lawn we also have to let Satinist put their stuff up. I asked him "Why?" he had no answer."

This radio host sounds like most other radio hosts: Dumb. The proper response to the question is, "Because everyone knows we don't live in a theocracy.

Blogger James Dixon March 26, 2013 9:43 AM  

> Suffice to say, Jartstar, you're an asshole.

All evidence to date indicates you're the expert on the subject.

I think I would have written the professor's name and stomped on it instead. Of course, I'd probably also be expelled for assaulting a professor after that, but...

Blogger Nate March 26, 2013 9:45 AM  

"This radio host sounds like most other radio hosts: Dumb. The proper response to the question is, "Because everyone knows we don't live in a theocracy."

A manger on the courthouse square does not a theocracy make. If it does... then you must conclude that any nation that has an election must therefore be a democratic republic.

Anonymous Cat McClusky March 26, 2013 9:53 AM  

"..the odds are pretty high..."

That clinches it for me.

Anonymous A. Man March 26, 2013 9:54 AM  

"A manger on the courthouse square does not a theocracy make. If it does... then you must conclude that any nation that has an election must therefore be a democratic republic."

You are right. The answer to the question of why communities can't restrict religious symbolism displayed on public property to those of the christian persuasion is simpler: It would be unconstitutional and oppressive. And clearly we are, as a nation, are finished giving unconstitutional exceptions to a people who favor oppression.

Anonymous Alexander March 26, 2013 9:55 AM  

I'm curious how a culture that was 'demonizing... or worse' non-Christians for centuries managed to make itself the world's most desirable migration destination. It's also a mystery why with all these xenophobic Christians in charge in the first place, they were admitted entry.

A. Man, I would appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

Anonymous Will Best March 26, 2013 9:55 AM  

The problem is that he was taking a class called Intercultural Communications.

If you aren't taking a class that is backed by objective facts (ie. chemistry, discrete math) you have to be very aware of the teacher teaching the class.

Anonymous Outlaw X March 26, 2013 9:58 AM  

Help Help... I'm being repressed. I saw a nativity.

Blogger James Dixon March 26, 2013 9:59 AM  

> It would be unconstitutional and oppressive.

How, exactly? I'd guess you're assuming they wouldn't allow any other displays.

Anonymous Godfrey March 26, 2013 9:59 AM  

Their irrational obsession is a testimony to the truth.

Anonymous Alexander March 26, 2013 9:59 AM  

Well in that case, it's probably a pretty good exercise. "Crushed beneath my boot" is a pretty good symbol for how most intercultural communications intend to play themselves out.

Anonymous just curious March 26, 2013 10:00 AM  

"The answer to the question of why communities can't restrict religious symbolism displayed on public property to those of the christian persuasion is simpler: It would be unconstitutional and oppressive."

Where in the Constitution does it state you can't display a religious symbol on public property?
Precisely which people are being oppressed?

Anonymous Vidad March 26, 2013 10:01 AM  

@James Dixon

That's what he's saying.

"why communities can't restrict religious symbolism displayed on public property to those of the christian persuasion"

Anonymous A. Man March 26, 2013 10:02 AM  

"I'd guess you're assuming they wouldn't allow any other displays."

Yes, that was the premise offered in an earlier comment.

Anonymous Noah B. March 26, 2013 10:04 AM  

"Why not stomp on Muhammad? His followers would get violent."

Perhaps the Muslims are on to something.

Anonymous Outlaw X March 26, 2013 10:06 AM  

As to why Satanist can't put their stuff up is a simple answer. We won't let them. Values of a community are what they are live with it or move.

Blogger swiftfoxmark2 March 26, 2013 10:08 AM  

I'm sure the reason that there was only one student in that class who refused is because the other students are not Christians and probably reject religion for some reason or another. Most religious people do not take classes like "Intercultural Communication" at a secular school.

Anonymous A. Man March 26, 2013 10:10 AM  

"As to why Satanist can't put their stuff up is a simple answer. We won't let them. Values of a community are what they are live with it or move."

If there were any satanists that wanted a display on public property along side a christian display you'd find the "values" of a community are trumped by reason and pluralism. And let's face it, Christians don't have the government backed gumption they once had. So, it's unlikely they'd do anything about the displays because they know they properly end up behind bars.

Anonymous Sigyn March 26, 2013 10:11 AM  

A. Man...Familiar name...

Hey, aren't you the same guy a few months ago who whined at Alpha Game because I was "callously dismissing your personal experiences" or something?

If you are, that makes your comments here funny.

Anonymous Azimus March 26, 2013 10:12 AM  

"Why did only one object?"

I expect that it is because Mormons, whether right or wrong on their doctrines, teach apologetics to their young and prepare them to go into a world that quite openly hates them, rather than most Christian churches who gather kids together for 2 hrs to play basketball and guitar hero, and give them a 10minute "lesson" about how Jesus "loves everybody" before feeding them pizza and sending them home. You will get out of them what you put into them.

That, and that in any crowd of 200 students you may have 100 emasculated boys, of which 80 may identify themselves as "Christian." Of those 80, say 50 might convince themselves that this is hilarious, 20 might convince themselves that its stupid, and 10 might wonder to themselves if they are actually rejecting Christ. Of those 10, 5 might rationalize that this "doesn't really count", 4 might resolve quietly to themselves not to do it, and apparently only 1 will say "this is BS" to the prof. I'm sure that is how it happened under the empire as well... though the proportions may have been different.

Anonymous Athor Pel March 26, 2013 10:12 AM  

What usually constitutes oppression in the eyes of non-Christians is being told to stop sticking their penises in other people's assholes. Or told to stop burning the living widow with the dead husband. Or told to stop killing their children before they are born or even after birth in the most egregious cases.

Yeah, that kind of oppression. Must be hard to be a sodomite or murderer amongst Christians, their very presence convicts and condemns you.



Anonymous Outlaw X March 26, 2013 10:13 AM  

No they wouldn't the county judge is publicy elected in Texas, they would be fined for putting up unauthorized stuff. You can't put ponography up either.

Anonymous Rooster Cogburn, esq. March 26, 2013 10:16 AM  

"Why did only one object?"
 
Probably because, per FAU: "No students were forced to take part in the exercise," the university said in a statement. "The instructor told all of the students in the class that they could choose whether or not to participate. No students will be disciplined in any way related to this exercise, either inside or outside the classroom."

Mr. Rotela, like many Christians, seems to revel in imagined persecution.   

Anonymous Cat McClusky March 26, 2013 10:17 AM  

The Mormon student was the only one to openly defy this obominable exercise?

The prerequisite to signing up for these courses must be a willingness to obediently do whatever you are told, no matter wrong or offensive.

Apparently in this day and age all too many collage students qualify.

Anonymous Sigyn March 26, 2013 10:18 AM  

Of those 10, 5 might rationalize that this "doesn't really count",

I'm going to say that it's more than that. Hamsters are strong in people, and as long as they can convince themselves that "it's just a piece of paper, I'll pretend it's some Mexican dude's name, God will forgive me of course because you can't expect people to die on such a small hill"--well, you know the rest.

Anonymous Athor Pel March 26, 2013 10:19 AM  

The reason Satanists don't put up religious scenes on the courthouse lawn is that if they were to be true to their religion they would need to use real live animals or humans if they could get away with it, and then proceed to ritually kill them and/or torture them.

Real blood rites don't give people the warm fuzzies. It tends to freak them out. It isn't good public relations.


Blogger James Dixon March 26, 2013 10:19 AM  

> If there were any satanists that wanted a display on public property along side a christian display you'd find the "values" of a community are trumped by reason and pluralism.

That's an if you could drive a Mack truck through.

Anonymous Sigyn March 26, 2013 10:20 AM  

"No students were forced to take part in the exercise," the university said in a statement. "The instructor told all of the students in the class that they could choose whether or not to participate. No students will be disciplined in any way related to this exercise, either inside or outside the classroom."

...They said, after the story broke and they realized they might face a lawsuit backed by a very large and wealthy religious organization.

Anonymous Stickwick March 26, 2013 10:21 AM  

Details from this article:

“As with any academic lesson, the exercise was meant to encourage students to view issues from many perspectives, in direct relation with the course objectives,” said Noemi Marin, the university’s director of the school of communication and multimedia studies.

“While at times the topics discussed may be sensitive, a university environment is a venue for such dialogue and debate,” Marin added.

The lesson on bashing the name of Christ is included in a textbook titled, “Intercultural Communication: A Contextual Approach, 5th Edition.”

Fox News obtained a synopsis of the lesson that got Rotela in trouble.

“Have the students write the name JESUS in big letters on a piece of paper,” the lesson reads. “Ask the students to stand up and put the paper on the floor in front of them with the name facing up. Ask the students to think about it for a moment. After a brief period of silence instruct them to step on the paper. Most will hesitate. Ask why they can’t step on the paper. Discuss the importance of symbols in culture.”


If the textbook and prof had also included in the exercise writing OBAMA or BLACKS or WOMEN on pieces of paper and then stomping on them, then the exercise might have had some meaning. Unlike the JESUS paper, I bet most of the class would have hesitated or refused to stomp on any of those. If the professor was intellectually honest and had the stones to do this exercise and then follow it up with a discussion of "the importance of symbols in culture," it could have been very instructive.

Anonymous Van March 26, 2013 10:23 AM  

Is A. Man Taddington Bear?

Anonymous Athor Pel March 26, 2013 10:27 AM  

"Rooster Cogburn, esq. March 26, 2013 10:16 AM

"Why did only one object?"

Probably because, per FAU: "No students were forced to take part in the exercise," the university said in a statement. "The instructor told all of the students in the class that they could choose whether or not to participate. No students will be disciplined in any way related to this exercise, either inside or outside the classroom."

Mr. Rotela, like many Christians, seems to revel in imagined persecution. "




These exercises are designed to force self identification of Christian students. The secular folks that design them want to identify as many believing students as they can. If they can push them off campus by making them feel unwelcome and thereby deprive them of the chance to get a degree they have done their job.

Of course it is going to be presented in as passive aggressive way as possible. They need deniability to mask their true intentions.

Anonymous A. Man March 26, 2013 10:27 AM  

"What usually constitutes oppression in the eyes of non-Christians is being told to stop sticking their penises in other people's assholes"

Christians don't object to this. Straight christians do it all the time and you never hear word one about it being sinful or wrong or whatever. The only thing you hear from Christians is that homosexuals ought not be granted equal protection under the law or that homosexuality is evil. Of course, even this kind of bigotry is falling away as more and more people see this attitude for what it is. unreasonable.

Christians used to get their way in American culture, society and politics, regardless of how imposing their views were and how dismissive they were of other philosophies. That era is happy at its end as more and more people simply roll their eyes at the weird and baseless demands this cult still makes on society.

Blogger James Dixon March 26, 2013 10:30 AM  

> Yes, that was the premise offered in an earlier comment.

OK. I'll admit the courts would probably agree.

Anonymous AmyJ March 26, 2013 10:30 AM  

C.S. Lewis must have been a prophet. My first thought was "That Hideous Strength" too.

Anonymous VryeDenker March 26, 2013 10:31 AM  

The discourse is rather lofty today.

Anonymous A. Man March 26, 2013 10:32 AM  

"The discourse is rather lofty today."

Assuming you are being sarcastic, you can blame that on the bizarre premise in the original post.

Blogger The Aardvark March 26, 2013 10:36 AM  

"The prerequisite to signing up for these courses must be a willingness to obediently do whatever you are told, no matter wrong or offensive."

It IS a modern liberal arts school.

Anonymous Rooster Cogburn, esq. March 26, 2013 10:38 AM  

These exercises are designed to force self identification of Christian students. The secular folks that design them want to identify as many believing students as they can.
 
Sounds nefarious!  But couldn’t they just ask, or even simpler, maybe check in on one of the on campus Christian clubs?  Or do you really think all the Christians at FAU are hiding in an attic somewhere?

Anonymous dh March 26, 2013 10:38 AM  

This is pretty silly. You sign up to be at the mercy of the educational machine, and then complain when they do what you are paying them for.

This is persecution, I suppose. Just not very serious.

Anonymous Van March 26, 2013 10:40 AM  

Oh, students weren't required to participate. That settles it, then - no problem. It doesn't matter that only Christ was to be stomped on, that an authority figure was making the request, that said authority figure exercised control over the student's acedemic career, or that the majority of stdents went along causing the objector to be ostracized.

I guess nativity scenes on courthouse lawns ARE acceptable. Glad we cleared that up.

Anonymous Noah B. March 26, 2013 10:40 AM  

"Christians used to get their way in American culture, society and politics, regardless of how imposing their views were and how dismissive they were of other philosophies. That era is happy at its end as more and more people simply roll their eyes at the weird and baseless demands this cult still makes on society."

I suppose you think it is a coincidence that this society, happy at its end, is now observably collapsing.

Anonymous A. Man March 26, 2013 10:43 AM  

"Oh, students weren't required to participate. That settles it, then - no problem. It doesn't matter that only Christ was to be stomped on, that an authority figure was making the request, that said authority figure exercised control over the student's acedemic career, or that the majority of stdents went along causing the objector to be ostracized."

The same argument made by those who opposed prayer in school.

Anonymous Roundtine March 26, 2013 10:44 AM  

And let's face it, Christians don't have the government backed gumption they once had. So, it's unlikely they'd do anything about the displays because they know they properly end up behind bars.
Kathleen Folden disagrees.
Kathleen Folden, a Montana trucker, pleaded guilty in November, 2010, to misdemeanor criminal mischief in connection with the destruction of a piece of art that depicted Jesus perfroming lewd sexual acts, among other controversial images.

According to reports, Folden drove from Montana, entered the museum and destroyed the work with a crowbar.

Anonymous A. Man March 26, 2013 10:46 AM  

"I suppose you think it is a coincidence that this society, happy at its end, is now observably collapsing."

To a christian that still believes the society and culture and government ought to revolve around Christian "teachings", it might seem like there is some sort of collapse. In reality, the "collapse" you see is really just the people continuing to set aside remaining fealty to the unreasonable and odd idea that christian teachings ought to the primary basis for anything in culture, society and government.

Anonymous Sigyn March 26, 2013 10:48 AM  

"You're another one". What an original argument! A. Man must have one of them thar fancy collidge diplomers.

Anonymous Mr. Pea March 26, 2013 10:49 AM  

He said to occupy, not submit to evil.

But then again, who are we to judge, right? That has become the common refrain in AmeriKa.

So... For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you.

And... Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.

Anonymous Van March 26, 2013 10:49 AM  

A. Man -

And that's why those same people are exposed as being motivated by dislike of Christianity rather than secular neutrality.

Anonymous A. Man March 26, 2013 10:50 AM  

"According to reports, Folden drove from Montana, entered the museum and destroyed the work with a crowbar."

And she was happily and properly convicted of a felony by her peers. As it should be. Furthermore, anyone who thinks their personal faith in a god requires that they attempt to destroy a piece of art probably is exactly the kind of person you want behind bars. Unfortunately, this one only had to pay a fine.

Blogger Positive Dennis March 26, 2013 10:50 AM  

Assuming Fau is correct, this is a part of my reluctance to adopt this story. However, being forced to watch this in a class sponsered event is a form of persecution.

Anonymous The other skeptic March 26, 2013 10:50 AM  

Is this just more crap from YKW on their obsession?

Anonymous Lol atheists March 26, 2013 10:53 AM  

Who exactly are you trying to persuade with your inane ramblings, A. Man?

Are you suggesting that moral precepts and actual conduct can and tend to be separate concepts?

Goodness, you atheist types. The best part of it is that when you're finished with Christianity, you'll be crawling back on your knees, bleeding profusely from the anal pounding you received only recently from a "religiously liberated" Mexican (because it's only gay to them if you take it up the butt, not put it there), with tears mixed with mascara running down your blushed cheeks, and BEGGING for Christians to go Crusade mode on these big mean ol' pagans throwing your firstborn into the fires of Moloch.

But you'd probably be the first to get skewered on a stake. After all, enablers like you were why things got to be that bad.

Oh well, try praying to Muhammad. I hear his followers are only slightly less well-endowed than the Mexicans. Might be more bearable for you.

Blogger Bob March 26, 2013 10:54 AM  

Better and better...

It's great when the other side continues to post and to let us see and better understand how their minds work.

Both sides of this war have some very smart people.

They've been studying us for decades with the stated goal of burying us, our culture, our traditions, our morals and ethics, literally our entire way of life, while we concentrated on silly things like building a society and civilization in which they could freely go about destroying.

Both sides do have some very smart people. But too many of our smart people are overly trusting and naive, while their smart people are - and have been - totally dedicated to the destruction of Western civilization.

That makes them fools. But it also makes them enemies.

What does a civilization bent on survivial do to enemies?

Whatever it is, we are not doing it.



Blogger Beefy Levinson March 26, 2013 10:54 AM  

Only one student objected, and a heretic no less.

Blogger James Dixon March 26, 2013 10:54 AM  

> Unfortunately, this one only had to pay a fine.

And what will you do if more and more folks decide that such a fine is a small price to pay? Hire armed guards for all your "art" displays?

Anonymous Vidad March 26, 2013 10:58 AM  

Kathleen Folden is a hero.

She reminds me of Phineas.

Anonymous CJ March 26, 2013 10:58 AM  

OT:

Gun store refuses to sell rifle to Gabby Gifford's husband: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/26/17471538-gun-store-owner-cancels-mark-kellys-ar-15-purchase?lite

Anonymous VryeDenker March 26, 2013 10:59 AM  

Some people have a weird idea of what "art" means.

Anonymous Noah B. March 26, 2013 11:00 AM  

"In reality, the "collapse" you see is really just the people continuing to set aside remaining fealty to the unreasonable and odd idea that christian teachings ought to the primary basis for anything in culture, society and government."

If you truly find all of Christian teachings unreasonable and odd, then our opinions simply differ. However, I suspect you are just clueless as to the extent to which Christian teachings underlie your own beliefs and would be horrified by an environment wherein those teachings are entirely discarded and replaced by values that are far more primitive.

Anonymous A. Man March 26, 2013 11:02 AM  

LOL Atheists: "Crawling on your knees....bleeding profusely from the anal pounding....Christians to go Crusade mode....the fires of Moloch....enablers like you....try praying to Muhammad."

And people wonder why christianity holds less sway today??

Anonymous A. Man March 26, 2013 11:04 AM  

"And what will you do if more and more folks decide that such a fine is a small price to pay? Hire armed guards for all your "art" displays?"

It's not a worry.

Anonymous Soga March 26, 2013 11:08 AM  

A. Man: Because fools like you are enticed by the thought of being the persecutors, the "privileged class", essentially, the ones with free reign to sodomize the losers, the persecutees, or in your mind, the Christians you so deeply loathe for no rational reason whatsoever.

Only, you won't be part of that class. No, you'll be part of those who get trampled on as the useful idiot you are.

It's funny isn't it, how you come barging in here hurling mud, and now you complain people are rubbing your nose in it? Had you come here in a spirit of genuine curiosity and learning, the tone would have been different. Moral-less fools like you don't even study the wisdom of the pagan ancients -- even the lessons of Aesop's Fables are lost on you.

Anonymous A. Man March 26, 2013 11:09 AM  

"If you truly find all of Christian teachings unreasonable and odd, then our opinions simply differ. However, I suspect you are just clueless as to the extent to which Christian teachings underlie your own beliefs and would be horrified by an environment wherein those teachings are entirely discarded and replaced by values that are far more primitive."

The best of the christian teachings are about as unique to Christianity as noses are to human faces. It's the strange, imposing, oppressive, demanding, exclusionary, and hateful teachings that are going by the wayside.

Anonymous Noah B. March 26, 2013 11:09 AM  

"It's not a worry."

Of course it's not. That's because it's not art, it's trash.

Anonymous A. Man March 26, 2013 11:12 AM  

"It's funny isn't it, how you come barging in here hurling mud, and now you complain people are rubbing your nose in it?"

I have no complaint with my treatment here.

Anonymous A Man = Tad March 26, 2013 11:14 AM  

"The best of the christian teachings are about as unique to Christianity as noses are to human faces"

http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/MURDER.HTM

Anonymous A. Man March 26, 2013 11:15 AM  

"Of course it's not. That's because it's not art, it's trash."

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. The point is that the ardent Christian who thinks somebody elses idea of what art that doesn't treat Jesus with respect must be dismantled is few and far between because most christians are neither so ardent anymore nor so stupid anymore.

Anonymous Soga March 26, 2013 11:18 AM  

"I have no complaint with my treatment here."

Pearls before swine and all that. I rest my case.

Anonymous Sigyn March 26, 2013 11:19 AM  

It's the strange, imposing, oppressive, demanding, exclusionary, and hateful teachings that are going by the wayside.

Name some.

Anonymous p-dawg March 26, 2013 11:21 AM  

@A. Man: " And clearly we are, as a nation, are finished giving unconstitutional exceptions to a people who favor oppression."

Really? We are? Isn't the DUI exception relatively new? Also, the Indiana Supreme Court ruling that police can enter any home in Indiana without a warrant, didn't that just happen recently? I don't think you're correct. I'm pretty sure we're ramping up the un-Constitutional exceptions given to people who favor oppression.

Blogger IM2L844 March 26, 2013 11:23 AM  

It's the strange, imposing, oppressive, demanding, exclusionary, and hateful teachings that are going by the wayside.

You are clearly out of your depth and lack even a cursory understanding of those teachings. Christianity holds less sway exactly because the majority of people are intellectually lazy like you and can no longer be bothered with learning the details.

Anonymous Azimus March 26, 2013 11:23 AM  

"Art" is the sacred cow with which we enshrine blasphemies like a urine-soaked crucifix sitting in a toilet, whose entire purpose is to shock and upset. Why not give the manger scene in the public square the same protections? Why is "art" for the last 100yrs only a hammer to mock, shock, and bring your hate on? Wouldn't it be refreshing if art was used to lift up, and to spread joy instead of angst and scorn? Kathleen Folden had exactly the reaction the artist was enticing her to have... so the little weasel could make a name for himself and peddle his wares for a more fetching price. Inotherwords, for the money. Same reason the museum showed it - to get butts in the door. The artist should go to jail for entrapment.

Anonymous Azimus March 26, 2013 11:30 AM  

Oh Anonymous, you just need to relax and go back to your Xbox and streaming porn and movies where - hey! - apparently you get your politics and philosophy. I'm glad you came to fight the good fight for... Whatever it is you are talking about. You've really made your mark. Now go back to Halo, the grown-ups are talking.

Anonymous A. Man March 26, 2013 11:32 AM  

"It's the strange, imposing, oppressive, demanding, exclusionary, and hateful teachings that are going by the wayside.

Name some."

Prayer in school. "Personhood" laws. Homosexuals are evil. Atheists are dangerous. Christian armageddon. Tax exempt status for churches.

Blogger James Dixon March 26, 2013 11:34 AM  

> It's not a worry.

You hope. You seem to think Christians are incapable of learning from Islam's example. You may be correct, but it's not a wager I'd be willing to make.

Anonymous CrisisEraDynamo March 26, 2013 11:35 AM  

Regarding the FAU situation, an authority figure tried to force a devout Christian to stomp on the word "Jesus." This wasn't a bunch of students deciding to do it on their own while the Christian got offended. This was a professor (who had control over his grades) giving an order.

A. Man seems to be okay with Christians getting punished for not giving in to attempts by authority figures to humiliate them. To him, the Christian was obviously in the wrong because, well, Christians are oppressive hatemongers, so he must have done something to deserve it.

Remember, the government is quite happy to give unconstitutional exceptions to people who favor oppression, so long as they're leftists (see NDAA, contraception mandate, targeted killings, Black Panther voter intimidation, to name a few.) Just because Christian beliefs hurt society's feelings doesn't mean it should be stomped on by the state, which hypocritically preaches "tolerance" while bullying children for eating their Pop-tarts the wrong way.

Blogger The Aardvark March 26, 2013 11:38 AM  

"Name some."

Thank you, Sigyn. You were quicker than I.

I await his reply with bated breath.

Anonymous Sigyn March 26, 2013 11:41 AM  

Thank you, A. Man. Let's investigate these:

Prayer in school.

1. Widespread education for all is a conceit of Christianity.
2. Mandatory prayer to the dominant god has been standard since the dawn of man. What is "strange" about Christianity is that failing to do so is not punishable by death.

"Personhood" laws.

Hotly debated among Christians themselves, therefore not a "teaching" of Christianity as such. Also, punishment for causing a miscarriage or abortion dates back to Judaism.

Homosexuals are evil.

Taught by Judaism and certain pagan cultures such as the Roman and Viking. Christianity is "strange" in that it condemns the act while counting the actor redeemable.

Atheists are dangerous.

Not a teaching of Christianity. Atheists are described as wrong and delusional. Dates back to Judaism.

Christian armageddon.

Unclear. Explain.

Tax exempt status for churches.

Also applies to other religious and charitable organizations, so I'm curious to know which of your "Very Bad Thing" words applies.

Blogger Nate March 26, 2013 11:45 AM  

"Prayer in school. "Personhood" laws. Homosexuals are evil. Atheists are dangerous. Christian armageddon. Tax exempt status for churches."

I CAN TYPING!!!!

Blogger Latigo3 March 26, 2013 11:45 AM  

Makes one wonder,
Why is it so easy to get all the students but, one? Very simple,every bit of entertainment up until that point in the students lives have been conditioning them for this. Our society has let Hollywood entertain and educate for years, it has let Madison Avenue tell us how our daughters should look and it has let the music industry tell us whom we should worship.
When you step back and think, none of this is surprising. If the church does not quickly remember that it is to be salt and light, the situation will arise that an ambitious Stalin-type leader will arise and many will die.
Every atheist and pagan cries about the "crimes of the Church", well let's compare notes. By sheer numbers, Stalin and Mao beat everything the Catholic Church did in it's Inquisition/Counter Reformation, it's not even close. We hear, "oh the Salem Witch Trials", well cry me a river, 20 were executed in 1692. How many died in the Ukraine in 1932-1933 as a result of Stalin's programs? I've seen anywhere from 7,000,000 to 14,000,000. Please, be careful what you wish for atheists and pagans, because you may get what you wish for and it will not come from the Church. It will come from one of your "comrades"

Blogger The Aardvark March 26, 2013 11:53 AM  


"Prayer in school." -- Incredibly hurtful and exclusionary. Really. I understand why people climb bell towers and open fire. (This is settled on both sides. The "wall of separationers" have won the PR war in most areas, but as long as there are math tests....)

"Personhood" laws. -- Really should be a capital offense. The lack of them certainly is.

"Homosexuals are evil." -- Nope. The practice is sinful, according to Scripture, as is envy, pride, gluttony, drunkenness, fornication of all types. "For ALL have sinned...." Westboro is a weird family cult, not an orthodox Christian church.

"Atheists are dangerous." -- not unless the foolish are dangerous

"Christian armageddon." -- we may agree, as this is an aberrant teaching, historically speaking. It is not a biblical, historical teaching.

"Tax exempt status for churches" -- All churches should eschew 501c3 status. Bowing the knee to Caesar.

Blogger WATYF March 26, 2013 11:57 AM  

Prayer in school. "Personhood" laws. Homosexuals are evil. Atheists are dangerous. Christian armageddon. Tax exempt status for churches.

Lame and harmless. Logical and scientifically supported. Strawman. Another strawman. Irrelevant to anyone who isn't a Christian. This one is more a strike against the IRS than Christianity.

When are you going to present something that actually rises to the harsh and condemnatory description you used when decrying Christianity's influence on our society?

WATYF

Blogger WATYF March 26, 2013 12:00 PM  

As usual, the outspoken anti-Christian can't come up with any substance to support his vitriol.

I, for one, am shocked.

WATYF

Anonymous Noah B. March 26, 2013 12:00 PM  

Christians condemn sins, and it's utterly despicable evil intolerance. Amoral governments kill millions, and that's just a glitch.

Blogger TontoBubbaGoldstein March 26, 2013 12:02 PM  

Anonymous posting is getting out of hand, yes.

Blogger Nate March 26, 2013 12:03 PM  

"Either way, you lose, shit-for-brains. "

Says the retard that can't figure out how the Name/Website option works...

Anonymous zen0 March 26, 2013 12:05 PM  

I think the student deserves an "A". He seems to be able to communicate quite well.

Anonymous Mr. Pea March 26, 2013 12:06 PM  

It's the strange, imposing, oppressive, demanding, exclusionary, and hateful teachings that are going by the wayside.

You can't see what you just did, can you? Your desire to vilify Christians with your strange, imposing, demanding, exclusionary, and hateful teachings.

Where Christianity has boundaries, for you, the sky is not a limit. Your lusts are endless, and you seek to find just how far you can go pushing your lusts. You are mocking God. You know you are mocking God. How strange that you hate yourself and God so much, that you will mock everything good, righteous, and holy, to your own damnation. And how strange that you have convinced yourself, as a defense mechanism against what you know to be reality, that life, as you have convinced yourself, ends at the death of your flesh. That there is no penalty for your actions while in the flesh. And since you see life in such a way, you will do everything in your power to break down the walls of everything good, righteous, and holy. After all, eat, drink, and fulfill every lust of your imagination... for tomorrow you die, and that is that. Unfortunately, when your dreams of fulfilling your lusts to the hilt are realized, you, and those like you, will also realize the orgy of murder, chaos, and mayhem. And no doubt that you will blame Christians and God for being... unfair. But never fear, you can always pray that the mountains will fall on you.

Anonymous daddynichol March 26, 2013 12:08 PM  

Anonymous still can't pick can't pick a name?

Anonymous daddynichol March 26, 2013 12:10 PM  

Fat fingers, small phone.

Anonymous Noah B. March 26, 2013 12:14 PM  

"Anonymous still can't pick can't pick a name?"

It's the one handed typing.

Blogger Longstreet March 26, 2013 12:14 PM  

Suffice to say, Jartstar, you're an asshole.

Around here son that's not much of an insult.

Anonymous The One March 26, 2013 12:15 PM  

This seems appropriate for this thread.

1960- Birth Control approved, Cuban Missile Crisis two years later

Now- Homosexuality in the Supreme Court, U.S once again being threatened by nuclear weapons

G-d will not be mocked

Anonymous Noah B. March 26, 2013 12:20 PM  

OT, but I've noticed that "lesbian dorito night" remains undefined on Urban Dictionary. I didn't come up with the term and I'm not sure exactly who did, so does anyone else here want to take a crack at it instead?

Blogger Nate March 26, 2013 12:24 PM  

The fellow that can't be bothered to wipe the shit off his boots before he walks on someone else's carpet called me psychotic.

Ironic isn't it?

Anonymous Daniel March 26, 2013 12:25 PM  

That's pretty funny: Annie appears to believe that there are two ways to catch a mental illness: 1) through the genes and 2) through a releative's last will and testament.

Genetically inherited and hereditary psychosis, Annie, are the same thing. Now, type some more. Your face will stop hurting eventually.

Blogger Longstreet March 26, 2013 12:28 PM  

And how is it that voluntary prayer in school is evil and oppressive, but a voluntary (if the school's ex post facto cya is to be believed) exercise involving stomping on the name of Jesus is no big deal? I've observed that consistency of thought is not a particularly strong suit for the Modern American Atheist, but it seems they should condemn the second as much as they do the first. In fact the second deserves greater condemnation.

Anonymous A. Man March 26, 2013 12:29 PM  

"You are mocking God. You know you are mocking God. How strange that you hate yourself and God so much, that you will mock everything good, righteous, and holy, to your own damnation."

And again I have to ask why anyone would not understand why Christianity is playing less and less influence in this society. It's this sort of stuff.

Anonymous Sigyn March 26, 2013 12:32 PM  

A. Man, in case you missed it, I requested clarification on what you mean by "Christian armageddon" and why you think tax exemption for religious and charitable organizations is a bad thing. I realize that you have a lot to read and digest, which is why I'm reminding you.

Anonymous A. Man March 26, 2013 12:35 PM  

"And how is it that voluntary prayer in school is evil and oppressive, but a voluntary (if the school's ex post facto cya is to be believed) exercise involving stomping on the name of Jesus is no big deal?"

The commonplace in America for years was required prayer, before the Christians tried to push "voluntary prayer" once the required practice was ruled unconstitutional and stupid. And it's not so much that the thing was "evil" as it was oppressive and intrusive. However, the difference is that the student at the Florida Atlantic University was not required to be there as well as being an adult, not a child.

Blogger IM2L844 March 26, 2013 12:36 PM  

Anonymous posting is getting out of hand, yes.

For all the accusations to the contrary, Vox continues to display an inordinate amount of tolerance, patience and restraint as compared with all the knee jerk banhammer assbags on certain other blogs. Extraordinary, when you think about it.

Blogger Longstreet March 26, 2013 12:36 PM  

This
Genetic, I suspect, but probably hereditary, too.
juxtaposed against this
But thanks for taking the bait, fool.
makes me laugh.

Anonymous A. Man March 26, 2013 12:37 PM  

" I realize that you have a lot to read and digest, which is why I'm reminding you."

Thank you for the reminder.

Anonymous The One March 26, 2013 12:41 PM  

Can you pick a name anonymous, just type it in, you don't have to put in any other info.

Anonymous Sigyn March 26, 2013 12:48 PM  

The commonplace in America for years was required prayer, before the Christians tried to push "voluntary prayer" once the required practice was ruled unconstitutional and stupid.

1. Citation on the ruling that the practice is "stupid", please.

2. Why do you object to mandatory participation in worship rituals of the dominant deity of a civilization?

Anonymous James May March 26, 2013 12:53 PM  

It's just another notion of how bigotry is mainstreamed and compartmentalized in America - how morality is reserved for the few.

The very people who scream the loudest about bigotry as groups, who are themselves ironically formally organized according to identity and not principle, would be the first to invoke their distorted views of what constitutes a principle by crying "racism" and "Islamophobia" had Mohamed been used. The fact such bigots can't make that simple comparison by way of a thought experiment shows how brutally stupid bigots are.

Had this teacher used Mohamed instead, the teacher would be hiding due to death threats from an identity group not capable of understanding free speech or a Bill of Rights other than to understand they greatly covet such things for themselves.

Anonymous A. Man March 26, 2013 12:58 PM  

"1. Citation on the ruling that the practice is "stupid", please."

A.Man, Vox Popoli, March 26th, 2013


"2. Why do you object to mandatory participation in worship rituals of the dominant deity of a civilization?"

Because I'm not an idiot.

Blogger IM2L844 March 26, 2013 1:00 PM  

Nate is crying out in desperation for reinforcements.

LOL! If you don't understand why that is funny, your disorientation here is complete and you should probably swim back to shallower waters.

Anonymous Sigyn March 26, 2013 1:02 PM  

"1. Citation on the ruling that the practice is "stupid", please."

A.Man, Vox Popoli, March 26th, 2013


"2. Why do you object to mandatory participation in worship rituals of the dominant deity of a civilization?"

Because I'm not an idiot.


Okay, so your entire worldview is summed up in "because I said so", and you want to impose your will on everyone else.

Well, at least you're honest about it.

Anonymous A. Man March 26, 2013 1:04 PM  

"Okay, so your entire worldview is summed up in "because I said so", and you want to impose your will on everyone else."

What's the point of responding thoughtfully to an inquiry that isn't honest? I mean, really, what's the point. Ask a reasonable question and you'll get a reasonable answer.

Anonymous bw March 26, 2013 1:07 PM  

These Marxist, Fascist Pagan children actually wish you to look the other way as they worship their own chosen false gods.
Their society doesn't work and that is being scientifically proven on a daily basis.
It reflects their own personal disorder. They do not work.

2. Why do you object to mandatory participation in worship rituals of the dominant deity of a civilization?

They do not. They simply wish their gods and priests and scriptures to be given every (seeming) advantage.

Anonymous ODG March 26, 2013 1:07 PM  

I'm curious what the "A." is short for.

"Amoral?"
"Atheist?"
"Asperger?"

Anonymous allyn71 March 26, 2013 1:10 PM  

Ass pirate is my guess.

He seems to have a desire for a certain proclivity that is not accepted in the teaching of Christ. Therefore, hate the Christians.

Anonymous hygate March 26, 2013 1:12 PM  

Azimus said:

"I expect that it is because Mormons, whether right or wrong on their doctrines, teach apologetics to their young and prepare them to go into a world that quite openly hates them, rather than most Christian churches who gather kids together for 2 hrs to play basketball and guitar hero, and give them a 10minute "lesson" about how Jesus "loves everybody" before feeding them pizza and sending them home. You will get out of them what you put into them."

Exactly, I am on the education committee at my church, and when I try to get apologetics introduced as part of the Adult Sunday School, or suggest that we need to do a better job preparing the kids for the assault on their faith that they are going to run into when they start college, or mention that European culture has been completely secularized and that most colleges and universities in the US are doing their best to undermine their students' faith under the guise of teaching "critical thinking" I get looks that say they think I am crazy.

We are Lutheran, and have a confirmation class so the kids do get catechized, but we have had one apologetics class in the 5 years I have been going to the church. And by one I mean one 45 minute session.

The reasoning seems to be that you can't argue someone into Christianity, they have to be drawn by the holy spirit and it is impossible to resist the holy spirit. But, that seems to be a cop out to me, especially since three out of four of the head pastor's sermons seem to be on a Christians duty to witness to others about their faith (but don't train anyone on how because God will give you the words.)

Don't get me wrong, we do a pretty good job teaching the Bible and Doctorine (to the people who actually go to classes) but there seems to be an actual aversion to providing an intellectual grounding to faith in Christ. I think there is a belief many people in the church have that studying apologetics means your faith is lacking.

Perhaps my perspective is skewed because I used to be an atheist, but it seems like a hell of a way to run a rail road.

Anonymous LES March 26, 2013 1:12 PM  

We ought to thank the atheists for showing up. They are not informative, persuasive or original.
I think Vox let's them go on an on so the reader can see what little substance they have.
It reminds me of the time many years ago when I was afraid to read Bertrand Russell.
When I finally did I was shocked to discover that I had absolutely nothing to fret about.

Anonymous FP March 26, 2013 1:13 PM  

FAU should hire Adria Richards as its new "Intercultural Communication Evangelist".

Anonymous Sigyn March 26, 2013 1:13 PM  

What's the point of responding thoughtfully to an inquiry that isn't honest? I mean, really, what's the point. Ask a reasonable question and you'll get a reasonable answer.

What's unreasonable and dishonest about asking what your objection to mandatory worship is? I would really like to know why you object to a practice that's been in place for millennia.

Also, I asked you why you have problems with tax exemptions for all religious and charitable organizations and what you meant by "Christian armageddon". I was trying to be polite to you, but since you're determined to be rude yourself, I'm going hardline on you and invoking Rule 2.

Anonymous Starbuck March 26, 2013 1:14 PM  

Nate is curled up in a fetal position in his bedroom closet, sucking on his thumb, sulking and taking out his prissy, effeminate rage on his assortment of weird little pastel-colored stuffed animals. < A visual, folks.

Oh lookie, he just blew a fuse and short-circuited.

Get some rest, you neurotic little queen.



Project much?

Anonymous Soga March 26, 2013 1:15 PM  

Why does this blog just seem to attract the very stupid atheists? There have been the odd few intelligent ones in the history of this blog, but it seems that pigs REALLY like pearls to trample on, even to the point of aggressively going out of their ways to hunt said pearls.

Anonymous Starbuck March 26, 2013 1:15 PM  

I think VD deleted what I just copied..

Sorry.. You should probably delete what I posted as well..

Anonymous bw March 26, 2013 1:18 PM  

It's the strange, imposing, oppressive, demanding, exclusionary, and hateful teachings that are going by the wayside.

They ARE going by the wayside indeed, but are currently at their high tide mark due to your own personal, lying political and cultural and unscientific world view and ideological "activism".

Perpetual infants - stomping on a piece of paper with authority, I tell you.

Anonymous Red March 26, 2013 1:24 PM  

A. Man is the example of what VD posted at Alpha Game:

"...you can never reach a reasonable accommodation with Rabbit People. It is why you should never even try. Your very existence offends them."

How do you argue with someone who is not capable of rational thought?
It's the mere existence of Christians that is oppressive to these people, not anything Christians do.

I don't think there's anything to debate here, this person is just paranoid, maybe if someone was feeling really patient he could demonstrate to the onlookers, but never to the Rabbit, that his thoughts are simply not based on reality.

Blogger Longstreet March 26, 2013 1:30 PM  

However, the difference is that the student at the Florida Atlantic University was not required to be there as well as being an adult, not a child.
Ah, so it's the voluntary nature of the thing that is important.

Very well then, let's revisit the first part of your response.

The commonplace in America for years was required prayer, before the Christians tried to push "voluntary prayer" once the required practice was ruled unconstitutional and stupid.
Regardless of what was once required, voluntary prayer is, well, voluntary. And yet, when it was offered under the title "moment of silence" as a way to satisfy those who wanted prayer without offending those who did not, it was opposed no less vociferously. I take it then that you are okay with a voluntary prayer/moment of silence to start the day? It is voluntary after all. And far less obtrusive and offensive to some than stomping on the name of Jesus, since it is by it's very nature private.

Btw, if you're going to chastise Sigyn for asking unreasonable questions you should probably revisit the notion that the Supremes said school prayer was stupid.

For the record, I care not for school prayer or stomping on pieces of paper. I'm just interested to see how consistent you're willing to be, or conversely, how far you're willing to go to defend your inconsistency.

Anonymous A. Man March 26, 2013 1:36 PM  

"He seems to have a desire for a certain proclivity that is not accepted in the teaching of Christ. Therefore, hate the Christians."

Wow...Talk about a persecution complex! Just because your ideas are found wanting doesn't mean you are hated for holding them. That conclusion can only be drawn by the most paranoid among us.

Blogger Longstreet March 26, 2013 1:44 PM  

I observe that before he, um, "left" Anon accused me of being stupid. This troubles me. Am I? And if I am, is it heredity, or genetics?

I must ponder this.

Anonymous A. Man March 26, 2013 1:44 PM  

"Regardless of what was once required, voluntary prayer is, well, voluntary. And yet, when it was offered under the title "moment of silence" as a way to satisfy those who wanted prayer without offending those who did not, it was opposed no less vociferously."

Of course it was as it was perfectly clear that those advocating that children being required to be in a school and of unknown spiritual beliefs be also required to sit through a "voluntary" prayer of "moment of silence", were merely looking to find another way to impose their own beliefs people they had no business trying to impose them upon. You know, bait and switch.

Also, the plan is stupid from the get go. There is no educational value in a "voluntary prayer".

Finally, children can pray voluntarily all they want without the school and government being involved. They can pray when they go to bed at night, when they get up in the morning, when they sit down at the dinner table, when they enter their chosen house of worship, and when they stand silently waiting for the pitcher to toss the ball their way. They can even voluntarily pray in school without the need to be "led" in a voluntary prayer or moment of silence. The only people that want "voluntary prayer" or a moment of silence" imposed in a classroom are Christian adult activists who have nothing to offer children other than indoctrination.

Anonymous Porky March 26, 2013 1:44 PM  

The FAU student in question was given a tremendous blessing. The professor did him a huge favor by suspending him.








Anonymous a_peraspera March 26, 2013 1:46 PM  

A man: Just out of curiosity, do you think the professor should be allowed to conduct an exercise in which the students are ordered to stomp on the name Mohammad? What about the name Obama? If not, why not?

Anonymous hygate March 26, 2013 1:48 PM  

Nazis were pagans and "evil ... Nazis" is redundant.

Stop wasting bits! FOR THE CHILDREN!!!

Anonymous Noah B. March 26, 2013 1:52 PM  

"The FAU student in question was given a tremendous blessing. The professor did him a huge favor by suspending him."

No doubt about it. Not only does he not have to attend a worthless class anymore, but the university has presented him an opportunity for fame and fortune.

Anonymous Andre March 26, 2013 1:52 PM  

Anonymous and A. Man, the incredible Stupid Machines. While Anonymous call someone a coward, unaware of how hilariously ironic that is, A. Man's list of the vile sins of Christianity includes the horrible, horrible crimes of "Christian armageddon" and "prayer in school"!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Anonymous Noah B. March 26, 2013 1:54 PM  

"of questionable progeny"

Are you new to the english?

Anonymous Dan in Tx (HI TAD) March 26, 2013 2:02 PM  

Hey, I see Tad got a new user name!

As far as Anonymous.....what the hell? Has our quality of troll taken a nose dive around here or what?

Blogger ray March 26, 2013 2:02 PM  

the feminist/identity totalitarian "schools" gradually have narrowed down the focus ... persecute males, then white males, then christian white males

there's no other actual opposition to their "civil rights" hate-fest, and theyve known it for 30 years

notice they didnt start this overt desecration until theyd achieved complete control over government, media, academia, law, and the political processes

coward only fight when they think it's safe

everybody let it go down when millions of white guys got the shit kicked out of them by the gynogulag schools -- making Education safe for our daughters, doncha gnow! -- so they just keep upping the ante... now theyre walking on the face of the M-A-N that represents God, chuckling at their hegemony

"It felt SO LIBERATING to step on the face of that asshole Jesus and all the oppressing Evil White Males that he represents. OK, well, what's next? When's the Take Back the Night march?"

ps sigyn as an apologist for Christ is like goebbels defending moses, no wonder youre in trouble

looking forward to His foot on babylon's face

Anonymous Porky March 26, 2013 2:03 PM  

@Noah B.

Not exaaaactly what I meant. Lol.

Anonymous A. Man March 26, 2013 2:03 PM  

"A man: Just out of curiosity, do you think the professor should be allowed to conduct an exercise in which the students are ordered to stomp on the name Mohammad? What about the name Obama? If not, why not?"

Of course.

Anonymous Andre March 26, 2013 2:09 PM  

Well Anonymous, are you saying I should get lost because I'm posting bullshit? Are you not subject to your own standard of conduct?

Anonymous Alexander March 26, 2013 2:10 PM  

I won't comment as to whether it's an improvement or not, but this is a fine example of nature and vacuums. I have not seen a post from Tad in quite some time...

Blogger IM2L844 March 26, 2013 2:14 PM  

Finally, children can pray voluntarily all they want...

No they can't.

Anonymous Noah B. March 26, 2013 2:16 PM  

"Andre, Noah, all that I read there was smoke, mirrors and bullshit."

Where is "there?" The King James Bible? The dictionary? The instructions on your boot heel?

Anonymous Andre March 26, 2013 2:19 PM  

Anonymous, what was "bizarre" about my last comment in particular? Or are you indulging in the fine arts of bullshitting again?

Anonymous Mr. Pea March 26, 2013 2:20 PM  

"You are mocking God. You know you are mocking God. How strange that you hate yourself and God so much, that you will mock everything good, righteous, and holy, to your own damnation."

And again I have to ask why anyone would not understand why Christianity is playing less and less influence in this society. It's this sort of stuff.

No. It is this sort of stuff:

But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away! For of this sort are those who creep into households and make captives of gullible women loaded down with sins, led away by various lusts, always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

As I said up there about you.

Anonymous A. Man March 26, 2013 2:21 PM  

"Finally, children can pray voluntarily all they want...

No they can't."

Yes, they can.

Anonymous Sigyn March 26, 2013 2:22 PM  

ray, don't make me enslave you the rest of the way.

Anonymous Sigyn March 26, 2013 2:24 PM  

I'm still waiting for an answer to my questions. I guess A. Man isn't man enough to do more than "Yeah-huh!" and "Nuh-uh!"

*sigh*

Anonymous Noah B. March 26, 2013 2:25 PM  

"In kindergarten?"

Would it turn you on if I said yes?

Anonymous Alanis March 26, 2013 2:31 PM  

"Just lame, childish cheap shots."

My irony meter just esploded.

Anonymous Azimus March 26, 2013 2:36 PM  

Hey, back off guys, Anoymous turned the dial on his feel-bad cannon up to 10... and HE'S POINTING IT RIGHT AT US...

Fly rabbits, fly!

Seriously Anonymous, just change your handle so you don't force Vox to delete this solid gold... Its a pretty simple rule of the blog. Doesn't Halo make you pick a log on?

Anonymous Noah B. March 26, 2013 2:36 PM  

"Just what I expected, you creepy little pervert."

Is that the way you usually talk to kindergarteners?

Blogger James Dixon March 26, 2013 2:40 PM  

> Why does this blog just seem to attract the very stupid atheists?

Standard probability theory.

There's a word for most intelligent people who don't think God exists. That word is agnostic.

Anonymous Dan in Tx (me smart enough to use the "name" feature) March 26, 2013 2:47 PM  

Anon: "Hey Dan in Texas, why don't you take me on?"

Take you on at what? You've posted nothing here but childish insults and crap that's so obviously just supposed to get a rise out of everyone that we're all just laughing at you. You're just to stupid to realize that you aren't getting a rise out of anyone....unless you count uproarious laughter. Seriously, very lame troll effort.,

Anonymous Andre March 26, 2013 2:53 PM  

It's not even childish. He looks like a monkey throwing feces around and then thumping on his chest and screeching in victory.

Anonymous hygate March 26, 2013 2:57 PM  

You know, I remember when accessing the interwebs was hard and took some technical acumen. The level of trolling was much higher then.

Anonymous Noah B. March 26, 2013 3:13 PM  

So much brilliance and creativity, gone forever, with only a few keystrokes of a heartless admin.

Anonymous James May March 26, 2013 3:17 PM  

Normally one has to go to ESPN to experience such a high level of banter and idea-exchange. There is a difference between an exchange of ideas and trolling to get a reaction. I should think the difference would be obvious.

Ironically, the trolling has been engendered by people clearly feeling threatened by actual ideas they can't defend intellectually. If they could they simply would. They can't.

Here is an example of liberal debate: "LOL."

Anonymous buzzcut March 26, 2013 3:20 PM  

Come, let's troll
Troll across the floor
Come, let's troll
Troll across the floor

Now turn around, baby
Let's troll once more

Feel so good
Take me by my hand
I feel so good
Take me by my hand

And let's go trolling
In wonderland

Trolling, oh, yeah, trolling
Rock and rolling, trolling
Well, rock my soul
How I love to troll

There's my love
Trolling in the door
There's my love
Trolling in the door

Baby, let's go trolling
By the candy store

Anonymous Clay March 26, 2013 3:25 PM  

You are one obnoxious bastard, Anonymous.

Anonymous hygate March 26, 2013 3:28 PM  

I suspect anonymous may be a bot. Seriously, that Obama statement looks like it was pulled from a stock list of phrases.

We may be seeing the dawn of a new era on the Internet.

The troll bot is here. Be afraid, very afraid.

Anonymous hygate March 26, 2013 3:32 PM  

Seriously, has anonymous said anything that could not have been generated by a bot?

Is anonymous a human so stupid he/she cannot pass a Turing test?

Anonymous castricv March 26, 2013 3:37 PM  

A little over a decade ago at Vanderbilt in a Geology class of all places, the "professor", a 60 year old quasi hippie environmentalist type, lectured in front of 200 students that Catholics were evil and must stop having children to rescue the Earth from over-population. When I asked why only Catholics and not the billions of Hindi Indians, atheist Chinese, etc. the whole class looked back at me like I was wearing a clan outfit.

The funny thing is Vox actually knows my real name and it is not exactly Anglo/European, yet defending Christianity has in a bizarre way morphed into defending whiteness in this stupid country. I persisted in telling the professor that many Catholic countries especially in Europe were actually dying out and I offered him the option of simply saying what he meant, which was clearly that he feels there is too much Latin American births, but he wanted to hide it as white people's fault. That way he could have racism (however accurate it is) while still pandering to the White hating globalist nihilists.

He didn't like it, but I still wound up with a B+. My biggest problem with the whole thing however, wasn't the professor. It was the 200 students from upper class, almost all white families, many of whom hail from Southern Christian families, not saying a damm word. Not even a pep of disgust. And this was around 2000. Shocking.

I suppose this should be expected in the multicult school system we have now. White kids are marginalized and their community broken. Speaking out at dumbed down school or being too smart now only gets you picked on to insanity, so they learn to just get along and go with it. Now white adults under 40 literally would let Primer Noctum (spelling? The first night rule from Braveheart) occur if the government mandated it and the media said it was correct and not racist. Only a few outliers like us would stand up and probably be killed.

I fear I am not exaggerating with this.

Anonymous Noah B. March 26, 2013 3:37 PM  

"The troll bot is here. Be afraid, very afraid."

You the are of progeny mother ugly selling cheap things cannot understand what to have sex without self, yes?

sent from my Trolly

Anonymous hygate March 26, 2013 3:42 PM  

I think it is supposed to be an ironic troll bot - the tip off was use of the words crackpot and blowhard. And the phrase "cleaning your clock." Who the hell talks like that any more?

Anonymous Noah B. March 26, 2013 3:45 PM  

No kidding. Why would anyone have a dirty clock?

Anonymous Andre March 26, 2013 3:47 PM  

I am seriously laughing out loud at Anonymous' comments.

I feel dirty. I find stupidity hilarious, I must confess.

Blogger JDC March 26, 2013 3:47 PM  

Trying to count the obvious liberal - atheist - troll responses:

1. Making pseudo-religious arguments. Check.
The only thing you hear from Christians is that homosexuals ought not be granted equal protection under the law or that homosexuality is evil.

2. The nebulous appeal to reason / over the dogmatic Christianity they so obviously hate. Check.
Of course, even this kind of bigotry is falling away as more and more people see this attitude for what it is. unreasonable.

3. Holding the flag of live and let live fly...except when it applies to Christianity (e.g. voluntary prayer in schools). Check.
The idea's they represented ran into ideas people of all persuasions found more powerful: Freedom and reason. That much is obvious.

4. Claiming that teaching one's children the Christian faith is indoctrination, but public schools engage in no such activities. Check.
The only people that want "voluntary prayer" or a moment of silence" imposed in a classroom are Christian adult activists who have nothing to offer children other than indoctrination.

5. Denounce Christianity (while giving other religions / beliefs a pass). Check.

6. Use terms such as racist, bigot, ignorant to shut down discussion (because in a tolerant society, the mere invocation of racist or bigot is all that is needed). Check.

7. Stereotype Christians as deluded, crazy, or mentally ill simply because they don't hold to the liberal/atheist manifesto. Check.

8. Display absolutely no real understanding of the Christian faith. Check.

What I haven't seen yet:
1. Invocation of Godwin's law.
2. The threat to withhold any future sexual encounters.
3. Claiming to have once been Christian, and/or being fully versed in theology and scripture.

Please Anon and AMan...keep commenting. Throw in your lovable obscenities as well - you both are really quite amusing.

Anonymous hygate March 26, 2013 3:50 PM  

Apparently, it is customary for owners of Rolexes to have them cleaned once a year. But since I do not own a Rolex, I do not require that service.

Anonymous Sigyn March 26, 2013 3:54 PM  

Well, yesterday its favorite terms were "ditzy" and "smarmy". Today it looks like "blowhard."

I keep waiting for the message that pops up and says, "Thank you for using Trollbot(tm). Is there anything we could do to make it more realistic?"

Anonymous Andre March 26, 2013 3:56 PM  

"Bullshit artist", that was in one of my own comments (2:19)!

I'm pretty sure that in order to teach Anonymous a lesson, someone from the Ilk started posting under his "name". It's quite a show, really.

Anonymous Noah B. March 26, 2013 3:59 PM  

"Apparently, it is customary for owners of Rolexes to have them cleaned once a year."

Seriously? There are people out there too lazy to Windex their own damned watches?

Anonymous Sigyn March 26, 2013 4:03 PM  

Noah, shh. I think I know what hygate is doing. Watch and see.

Anonymous hygate March 26, 2013 4:04 PM  

They clean the gears inside. The claim is that the watch will lose its precision if this is not done.

Anonymous Sigyn March 26, 2013 4:04 PM  

Oh, never mind.

Okay, I'll do it.

Anonymous James May March 26, 2013 4:05 PM  

How can I debate fart jokes and "clever" bits of graffiti drawn on walls at midnight? Crawl back to Scalzi-land. Being never short of unflinching idiots, I can see where the positions are all filled and you feel put out and homeless.

That's what happens when the anonymity of the net itself becomes some sort of debating point. What is the hilarious irony is your life itself. If this is how you amuse yourself, one can imagine the mirror somewhere in your home is truly an unforgiving place of no accomplishments to look back on or hope for.

Escape from that one when you lay your head down on your pillow tonight. You'll find it is a cruel stupid Top 40 tune you can't get out of your head or run away from. Unless of course you're anonymous to yourself, which I suspect you are when it comes to the world you have no voice in.

Laugh last buddy. When you sleep. Run the list of accomplishments of your life in your mind. You can't censor their lack. Now that I've planted that seed, you are undone, no matter what your comeback is. Reality is unforgiving. Have a nice day. Or I should say, a nice night. Maybe you can drink yourself into dreamless sleep so the horror between wakefulness and sleep that makes you think of what I just wrote can't haunt you.

Anonymous MendoScot March 26, 2013 4:07 PM  

It reminds me of the time many years ago when I was afraid to read Bertrand Russell.
When I finally did I was shocked to discover that I had absolutely nothing to fret about.


I had a similar experience. I finally took a deep breath and read "Why I am not a Christian" in the bath (when I read Russell I wet myself).The man was a total stuffed shirt! The best riposte (Chesterton, perhaps?) I read to his argument was, "why, then, Mr. Russell, are you a socialist?"

Anonymous Sigyn March 26, 2013 4:08 PM  

Why, you could be Cholly Rangel. Cholly, is that you?

Go hug a tree, farking hippie.

Anonymous Sigyn March 26, 2013 4:09 PM  

Dayum girl, you're dumb. You never learn.

Do you speak pig Latin?

Blogger Longstreet March 26, 2013 4:10 PM  

@A.Man, I can't help but notice that your response of 1344 can be boiled down to 2 statements:
1. I oppose a moment of silence because I personally find no value in it.
2. I oppose a moment of silence because Christians wanted it.

Hmmm.

Of course it was as it was perfectly clear that those advocating that children being required to be in a school and of unknown spiritual beliefs be also required to sit through a "voluntary" prayer of "moment of silence", were merely looking to find another way to impose their own beliefs people they had no business trying to impose them upon. You know, bait and switch.
Christians are sometimes accused of being not confident in their beliefs. Is "atheist thought" so fragile that it must be protected from something so coercive as...silence?

How exactly does that work any way? The teacher would say something like "Everyone take a few moments and be silent" and then what would happen? Does the Christian teacher start sending out thought rays to probe the tender psyches of the poor little atheist kid in the second row? What if the teacher quieting the class was an atheist? What would he/she be coercing the children into believing, or not believing?

Why they wanted it has no bearing on the question of coercion.

Also, the plan is stupid from the get go. There is no educational value in a "voluntary prayer".
But again, it was specifically referred to as a moment of silence so as to sooth the so-very-easily upset nerves of the Village Atheist. Regardless of what the Christian kids did in that time, the atheist could be thinking of whatever he or she wanted and no one would know the difference. Neither party would suffer any kind of harm or offence.

But quite a few people, a majority in fact, believed there was some value to it. In spite of that fact, a minority party forced the rest to acquiesce to their demands. Now there's coercion for you; this practice harms no one at all, but since you don't like it you would have it forbidden by force of law.

Finally, children can pray voluntarily all they want without the school and government being involved. They can pray when they go to bed at night, when they get up in the morning, when they sit down at the dinner table, when they enter their chosen house of worship, and when they stand silently waiting for the pitcher to toss the ball their way. They can even voluntarily pray in school without the need to be "led" in a voluntary prayer or moment of silence.
This is true. It is also irrelevant.

The only people that want "voluntary prayer" or a moment of silence" imposed in a classroom are Christian adult activists who have nothing to offer children other than indoctrination.
Stop at voluntary prayer and you'd be right. I'd bet if you asked a bunch of 1st and 2nd grade teachers whether they saw any value to a moment of silence after a busy recess you'd hear a resounding yes.

At any rate, so what? Again, where is the harm? The majority wanted this, an imminently reasonable compromise was offered, but that isn't enough. You said earlier that it was the voluntary nature of the thing that mattered, but no one can coerce you into thinking a prayer.

Anonymous hygate March 26, 2013 4:11 PM  

and apparently anonymous is a libertarian Trollbot(tm), except libertarians don't call people "evil little Nazis" so that's one glitch in its code.

Anonymous Noah B. March 26, 2013 4:16 PM  

Whether naturally occurring or artificial, it isn't a very sophisticated algorithm.

1 – 200 of 286 Newer› Newest»

Post a Comment

NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS. Anonymous comments will be deleted.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts