Friday, December 26, 2014

Sci Phi Journal #3

Jason Rennie has released the January 2015 issue of the Sci Phi Journal and it is now available at Castalia House in EPUB and Kindle formats. SCI PHI JOURNAL Issue #3 contains eight short stories and four non-fiction articles, including Issue number three contains eight short stories, including "Philosophical Reflections on The Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special" by David Kyle Johnson, "A Deeper Rabbit Hole: Reconsidering the Philosophy of the Matrix Trilogy" by Joseph Moore,  and "Khan as Nietzschean Übermensch and as Moral Actor" by Patrick S. Baker. It also contains the next two chapters in the serial novel that began in the December issue.

The third issue is, like its two predecessors, only $3.99. The content of the previous issues has been pretty solid; I'm not at all interested in Star Trek and yet I found the comprehensive takedown of a critic concerning a particular Q episode to be as interesting as it was convincing. The stories have been good too. I don't mind confessing that we've mined the journal for two authors, one of whom is currently writing what I expect will be a very intriguing futuristic detective novel; the other will be contributing to the second volume of Riding the Red Horse, which is already shaping up to be a serious murderer's row.



Anonymous DavidK December 26, 2014 12:54 PM  

I just finished QM: A Programmed Mind yesterday as children played with their new Christmas toys. Fun scifi story, I was able to guess the final twist halfway through when Dr G gave his odd denial to his machine. I plan to pick up Gravity Kills soon before the new year starts as career doesn't leave much spare time.

OpenID malcolmthecynic December 26, 2014 2:18 PM  

Do get this one guys, it's an excellent issue. No weak stories and several strong ones. The articles, of course are outstanding.

Of course I might be, ahem, a little biased, as I am author of the story "A Quadrillion Occupied Planets".

Blogger Crude December 26, 2014 4:07 PM  

Rennie's behind this? Interesting. Glad to see he's still at work with this sort of thing.

Blogger Clint December 26, 2014 4:51 PM  

I am finishing up the #2 journal now. Just have the serialized story to go. Have enjoyed each story so far. Some are better than others, but they are all worth reading. Great opportunity for some new writers to get exposure and share the pages with some more established authors. Once I finish it completely, I will go leave a review on Amazon. I also just finished Riding the Red Horses. Also enjoyed that one. More reviews to leave, I suppose.

You guys are giving me fits. I don't have time to read all of this stuff, but I have been so starved for good SF/F, that I can't hardly help myself.

Blogger LP 999/Eliza December 26, 2014 8:46 PM  

Aside from a logo would Castalia House benefit from a crest, like a medieval design of shield, something like that?

Anonymous maniacprovost December 26, 2014 10:38 PM  

They need a logo? I though generic house clipart was their logo.

In my opinion, a company should pick one or two identifying symbols or a pattern that can be used in various different ways yet remain identifiable with the brand. If you do that, it's quite easy to make a generic corporate .png logo and an ornate medieval coat of arms that are thematically linked.

Anonymous Jack Amok December 26, 2014 11:28 PM  

I hope there aren't any gay starfighter pilots.

Blogger automatthew December 26, 2014 11:36 PM  

Jack Amok,

I thought the same thing. Vox said that that story fits an existing universe. I'm willing to give Nuttall a break because I have previously encountered an author on our side who plays close to the vest in such ways.

That author is Michael Flynn, whose work is as wise as serpents and as beautiful as doves. Find a copy of his Firestar if you can.

Anonymous Jack Amok December 27, 2014 1:46 AM  

I thought the same thing. Vox said that that story fits an existing universe.

Yeah, I've read Ark Royal. This prompted me to go back and re-read my review. I thought the book had unnecessary sex scenes that detracted somewhat from the story. The author repeated his crime with variation this time. Only remarkable in comparison with the rest.

I've heard the name Michael Flynn, but I don't think I've read any of his work. I'll keep it on my list.

Blogger Jason Rennie December 27, 2014 6:10 AM  

Depending on how it goes an upcoming issue may well have a Mile Flynn story in it

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts