Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The blog star

It's no slight to Daniel, Scooter, Mascaro, or me to say that Jeffro, of the Space Gaming Blog, has been the star of the Castalia House blog this year. He makes everyone up their game by starting each week off with an intriguing, in-depth post, and gives our four new bloggers a high level of excellence to aim for. And fortunately for everyone, he appears to enjoy blogging there:
I am not shy about pointing out how happy I am with how this is shaping up. I cover the full range gaming topics: vintage stuff, current releases, role-playing games, wargames, everything! I write in such a way that you can get something out of a post even if you don’t buy or play the game in question. I put things into the wider context of gaming history and touch on the literary antecedents of the games we play. And yeah, I occasionally get esoteric, but I try to stay readable and comprehensible to people that aren’t gamers. No matter what, though, I never stray from the voice of someone that actually knows how to articulate how these things work in actual play… and that just freakin’ loves to play the heck out of these things.

I have complained about how games are covered in magazine articles and so forth in the past. I am just so rarely satisfied with how “journalists” and commentators portray games and gaming in general. Voicing that sort of concern almost invariably summons a smarty pants type that sneers back, “oh, you’re just complaining; the best answer to this sort of thing is to go out show us the right way to do it.” Well listen here, bucko… I’ve done it now.
If you've enjoyed Jeffro's exploration of Chapter N this year, don't be shy about going to his blog and letting him know. What I particularly enjoy about his posts is the way he dives deeply into the game mechanical aspects as well as the experience; he represents the perfect blend of SF/F literature and gaming that is of particular interest to a game designer who occasionally dabbles in fiction.

Labels: ,


Blogger Chris Mata December 31, 2014 12:45 PM  

Grats my friend! No surprise to me.

Anonymous jack December 31, 2014 1:10 PM  

Gods, what an endorsement. Coming from VD it really means a bunch! I'm not a gamer but enjoy much of the give and take of the discussions. I will have to go back and do some reading/re-reading of his posts. And, the comments.
Congrats to Jeffro!

Blogger Kull December 31, 2014 1:54 PM  

The Castalia House blog has been good all around. It has replaced Black Gate in my reading list. The proverbial straw was an article there about the moral imperative of writing fiction with global warming themes. I readily confess, I haven't done my homework on that particular issue so I claim no authoritative position. But I would rather attempt patching holes in the ozone myself, with trowel and plaster, than get behind that kind of agenda ridden fiction. It’s not why I read genre fiction. If that is your bag then have at it. But not for me. A bit too much “squee” there as well. Again, if you like then you like it, no sweat.
But the Castalia House blog has the protein to carb ratio I like; lots of meat and no sugar.
Jeffro's posts have all been fantastic, BTW. That guy gets gaming, really gets it. I especially appreciated his descriptions of how hard and frustrating it can be. Finding opponents, making deals with friends, desperately trying to get that gaming experience we crave.

Other posts by Daniel and Scooter have been excellent, forcing me to look at things differently. I'm sure I am forgetting others deserving of praise.

Blogger LP 999/Eliza December 31, 2014 2:18 PM  

Awesome for CH and J!

I say CH is a rising star, a beacon of light.

Anonymous Anonymous December 31, 2014 3:00 PM  


Anonymous Anonymous December 31, 2014 3:02 PM  

Sorry that "TEST" was me. I am in cyber combat.

God bless

Richard W Comerford

Anonymous Jill December 31, 2014 3:25 PM  

I really enjoy the Castalia House blog. I'm not a gamer, but I'm always up for philosophy and sci fi.

Anonymous patrick kelly December 31, 2014 3:28 PM  

Enjoyed the D&D article, shared the love...

Anonymous Ostar December 31, 2014 3:28 PM  

Yes - the CH blog quickly became one of my daily reads, in large part due to Jeffro.

Blogger Pseudotsuga December 31, 2014 4:34 PM  

Jeffro's work is good stuff--I just spent an hour reading 8 articles of his.
I too owned the old blue 1978 D&D boxed set, and reading his work was like talking with an old friend who I used to play with, long ago.

OpenID cailcorishev December 31, 2014 4:47 PM  

Dammit, I'm trying to start the new year with more time spent writing and less spent reading blogs, and you guys have to tempt me with this? Unfair.

Blogger Tiny Tim December 31, 2014 5:00 PM  

Congratulations Jeffro. Excellent!

Blogger Tiny Tim December 31, 2014 5:01 PM  

Makes me wish I had been a gamer back in the heyday.

Blogger RandalThorn December 31, 2014 6:55 PM  

Hey Vox, off-topic I know, but do you have any updates on GamerGate to share with us that have limited time and only follow one blog at a time?

Blogger YIH December 31, 2014 8:33 PM  

Happy New Year Vox and family!
And Happy New Year Marrku! Snow is rare where I live, and I like it that way.
Marrku, I don't think I'd like to live in Finland.
If that works for you, that's fine.
I'd rather live where the ball drops on live TV in my time zone.

Blogger YIH December 31, 2014 8:48 PM  

I was curious, ''what is the Italy time zone?''
It is EU ''central''; UK is a different time zone (WTF?).
I can at least understand that a small portion of Florida is in a different time zone.
It's all good, Happy New Year Vox and family! Happy New Year Marrku!
Is there fireworks where you are?

Blogger Shibes Meadow December 31, 2014 10:35 PM  


Imagine love of heaven
It's easy if you try
Fear of hell below us
A kingdom in the sky
Imagine all the people living forevermore

Imagine lots of countries
It's natural, you see
One for every race and culture
For everyone, a place to be
Imagine all the people living like human beings

You may live as a dreamer,
but I prefer the world that's here
I don't care if you join me
But I refuse to live in fear

Imagine your possessions
the wealth from your own hands
spent to benefit your family
and not some other man's
Imagine all the people living on their own

You may live as a dreamer,
but I prefer the world that's here
I don't care if you join me
But I refuse to live in fear


Anonymous Jack Amok December 31, 2014 11:15 PM  

Ive enjoyed Jeffri's posts. Rekindled passion for bosrd games a bit, and I love his attitude towards Euro games.

A happy and prosperous New Year everybody. Make hay where you can.

Blogger YIH December 31, 2014 11:29 PM  

Yes, I know it's already 2015 in both Finland and Italy, but I've lived 99% of my life in EST.
Here it is live in NYC time zone:
I miss ''the oldest teenager''...

Blogger YIH January 01, 2015 12:18 AM  

This may sound like a weird question Markuu, but can you buy any and all kind of fireworks in Finland?
With no ''ID'', all you have to do is sign a piece of paper that says ''I'm over 18 and I'm using them for agricultural purposes in order to scare birds away from my crops''

Anonymous Action Bronson January 01, 2015 2:40 AM  

Ot: Anyone see that pic on Drudge of a bloated Kissenger with Obama lookin like hes expecting Kissie to burst open like a piniata full of gummy worms at any moment.

Anonymous Eric Ashley January 01, 2015 8:39 AM  

Jeffro has been impressive in history, analysis, and good cheer.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts