Sunday, December 07, 2014

VPFL Week 13

108 Bane Cornshuckers (9-4-0)
52 Texas Chili Eaters (7-5-1)

90 Mounds View Meerkats (8-5-0)
55 Boot Hill Bogs (2-10-1)

95 Favre Dollar Footlongs (6-7-0)
74 Greenfield Grizzlies (9-4-0)

95 King (6-7-0)
62 Clerical Errs (2-11-0)

70 RR Redbeards (8-5-0)
59 Gilbert Gamma Rays (7-6-0)

After a 38-point explosion from the Chili Eaters, I can't believe that I'm in danger of missing the playoffs while scoring the most points in the league. Again.



Blogger Josh December 07, 2014 1:32 PM  

Baylor got screwed. Stupid useless committee.

Anonymous FUBAR Nation Ben December 07, 2014 2:01 PM  

Only the Jets can screw up a great drive like that!

Anonymous Will Best December 07, 2014 2:05 PM  

You have five 1 loss teams and 3 spots. So two teams were just going to get screwed. No doubt it will be an 8 team playoff within a couple years and a different set of bubble teams will be screwed. Its just part of the growing pains of turning a traditional game of rivalry between likeminded, neighboring institutions into a minor league sport.

Go Bears! work that draft board. If Carolina finishes strong we could end up with a top 10 draft pick! And what is the deal with the NFC South? I think they are just trolling at this point.

Blogger YIH December 07, 2014 2:18 PM  

Just before the half, Giants 20, Tinies 0.
Yes, that bad.

Blogger Nate December 07, 2014 2:35 PM  

Told ya. This is the worst team to ever wear titans uniforms. Maybe the worst to wear Columbia blue.

Anonymous Daniel December 07, 2014 3:14 PM  

I wonder how well a person would have done if he had taken "whoever plays the Titans this week" off waivers in fantasy. My guess is fairly well. Not only could the Titans not stop anyone...they couldn't start anyone either!

Blogger Vincent Castrillo December 07, 2014 3:22 PM  

VD, if we did a more standard league, you wouldn't necessarily have to worry about that anymore. Also a few of the playoff teams got to play Boot Hill and Clerical 4 times. I could have the 3rd or 4th most points and be 7-7 after losing 3 games by 1 point, 3 points, and 7points and still finish 7th. Too many times my players have had greatgames but because we are on 20 yards a point, they look the same as the backup RB that got 8 yards and a TD.

The QB getting 6 per TD also makes this way too QB friendly. Still you aren't dead yet.

Blogger YIH December 07, 2014 3:39 PM  

It looks like the Vikes got a refresher course on 7x3=21 this time by the Jets.

Blogger TontoBubbaGoldstein December 07, 2014 3:44 PM  

Baylor got screwed. Stupid useless committee.

Hopefully this will provide the impetus for an 8 team playoff in the future. FSU, Bama and Oregon are the top 3. number 4 is up for debate...but it sure ain't the perennially overrated Buckeyes.
Somebody out to punch the selection committee in their collective face Woody Hayes' style.

Anonymous Krul December 07, 2014 3:52 PM  

What does VPFL stand for? The only thing Google gives me is "Ventral Paraflocculus".

Blogger YIH December 07, 2014 4:00 PM  

Vox Populi Fantasy (or Football) Leauge.

Blogger YIH December 07, 2014 4:04 PM  

Oooh, just went to OT. I wonder if it's still possible to end sudden death with a safety...

Anonymous Krul December 07, 2014 4:05 PM  

Thanks, YIH.

Blogger Nate December 07, 2014 5:12 PM  

"VD, if we did a more standard league, you wouldn't necessarily have to worry about that anymore. "


This is as standard as it comes. Straight default scoring.

Blogger Vincent Castrillo December 07, 2014 5:48 PM  

No it's not Nate. Not by any stretch. Virtually every league is 10 yds point rushing/receiving and most leagues have always been 4 pts QB passing touchdown. Also some of the defensive stats have been modified. It's entirely fine since it is his league, but as there were 6-7 newbies coming into this league with short notice. (I wasn't even able to make the draft) this is a huge advantage for those who have been here before.

Heck, he asked for keepers before the draft and I didn't want any on the garbage team I was given yet it still took AJ green and Matt frikking Stafford as my 1st and 2nd pick. It was a fun league, but nothing like anything I've played in over 10 years.

Anonymous Daniel December 07, 2014 5:51 PM  

Yeah, Vincent this is Yahoo standard scoring. Are you talking about a PPR league? In any case, yardage alone will always even out, no matter how you cut it, because it can't be made premium. This year's race would have been no different had everyone gotten points at 10 yards. You still would have gotten burned by the TD machine. It is how it works. If your great wideout or yardhog back can't get in the endzone, you need to swap him out. Chris Carter is retired, but there are plenty of other players in the league who only catch touchdowns, too.

Blogger Vincent Castrillo December 07, 2014 5:52 PM  

I went ahead and looked at even our own league and sure enough there were several "modifications". The yahoo default is the same as almost every other league I've played with a few defensive changes (safety 2 pts instead of 4 or even 10). Our league is vastly different. Heck, pick Payton Manning, get one or two top end receivers and you are guaranteed playoffs.

Blogger Vincent Castrillo December 07, 2014 5:58 PM  

Daniel, I don't know your experience in FF, but you're wrong. Look at the yardage charts for all the players on everyone's teams. 10 yds/pt helps modify for the TD monster.

For instance AJ Green went nuts today with 224 yards and a TD. He got 17 points. Matt Asaita?? had a game earlier with like 6 yards and 3 TD for 18 points. Basically fall into the endzone from the 1 three times. In a normal league Green goes for 28 points and Asaitia gets his 18. In this league it is touchdown lottery to the extreme.

The league has been fun and I'm thankful for being invited, just putting my two cents in. VD has the most points and would have almost certainly made the playoffs in a standard league.

Anonymous Daniel December 07, 2014 5:58 PM  

Vincent - here you go. This is ESPN, unrelated to yahoo - a little different than yahoo in that receivers have to work much harder to keep up with RBs. I've been playing fantasy football under typical standard rules since 01 or so. Your system is unknown to me, and had it been under those guidelines, I would have been confused.

Standard Fantasy Scoring

Blogger Vincent Castrillo December 07, 2014 6:08 PM  

Daniel, irrelevant. They changed that two years ago. I've already linked to the Yahoo league which happens to be the one we are actually playing in and it clearly shows 5 major modifications. If you had been playing on ESPN since 01 you would know this.

Anonymous Daniel December 07, 2014 6:08 PM  

In any case, I think the first think a player should go over when entering any new league is the league rules. Hard to play that game without them. I actually assumed the VPFL might do something weird (like award bonus points to players who got suspended or something), so I was a little disappointed to see that the rules in place were the ones I have been playing by for about a decade.

If I recall, Yahoo, CBS and NFL have always been 6pt scoring leagues. It is only until you brought it up that I was even aware that ESPN had a 4pt league (or a league at all, really, although it makes sense that they do). Looks like that's what Draft Kings does too. But the Yahoo rules aren't wildly off the map, and in fact appear to be in the majority (just based on my memory)

Anonymous Daniel December 07, 2014 6:11 PM  

If you had been playing on ESPN since 01 you would know this.

Huh? I haven't been. I've been playing on Yahoo, and before that CBS I think. Never had to deal with your "standard" 4pt passing touchdown.

Blogger Vincent Castrillo December 07, 2014 6:14 PM  

Also, I'm not sure why you are trying to further dig holes but this is the actual standard scoring for all ESPN free and prize leagues....

Blogger Vincent Castrillo December 07, 2014 6:15 PM  

The major problems is not so muchthe QB modificatios, it's the 10yds/pt to 20yds/pt.It effectively makes 7 of your 9 rosters spots that much weaker relative to the QB and defense (lottery)

Blogger Vincent Castrillo December 07, 2014 6:19 PM  

You are exactly right about knowing the rules beforehand. No doubt. I did make myself aware of them and had a strategy, but unfortunately I could not get away from the boat I was on with my in-laws for our draft that was scheduled for mid afternoon on Labor Day. This coupled with magic keepers that I thought were not active due to having to report them to VDif we wanted them or not, made me start out with a "weak" team. No matter, it was all for fun,but it does make doing any work during the season that much harder.

Heck my team was basically in the toilet until someone dropped Tom Brady into my lap.

Blogger Vincent Castrillo December 07, 2014 6:22 PM  

Daniel ----
"""If you had been playing on ESPN since 01 you would know this.

Huh? I haven't been. I've been playing on Yahoo, and before that CBS I think. Never had to deal with your "standard" 4pt passing touchdown.""""

Last time, before I think you are simply trolling or a woman who cannot drop a point despite actual reality. THE STANDARD SCORING IN YAHOO IS 4 POINTS PER PASSING TD. I've linked to it and you've now said you play that league often. So either you don't know what you are talking about or just wasting everyone's time.

Anonymous Daniel December 07, 2014 6:26 PM  

I'm not digging holes, Vincent. I pointed out ESPN's standard scoring which includes your precious and magical 4point TD, because that was an example of 4pt scoring! Yahoo does not score that way. CBS does not score that way. NFL does not score that way.

If your argument is that somehow in a different format, the league points leader is guaranteed a slot in the playoffs, you have missed the boat and now have stepped off the pier. You can have an uneven season, but an overall strong point total (for example, anyone who played Ben Roethlisberger every game this year would have a ton of overall points, but would have lost a fair number of key games, as well) does not guarantee entry into the playoffs.

Why play head-to-head then, if it is just about point totals? I wish it was that way, because I'd be in the playoffs this year too instead of watching from the sideline. But that isn't how fantasy typically works.

Then again, perhaps it is just the wrath of Thor. Any Viking fan depending on a damn Packer to get him into the playoffs deserves to be two-year points king on the outside looking in!

Blogger Vincent Castrillo December 07, 2014 6:33 PM


Blogger Nate December 07, 2014 6:39 PM  

Vincent... we've always played straight yahoo scoring. If Vox changed it... I don't remember him changing it... and I've been in the league since the first season... what with the thing being my idea and all.

Regardless... The rules are the same for everyone. You had plenty of time to check the scoring.

This is obviously a TD league. You should have figured that out by week 2 or so and adjusted.

Anonymous Daniel December 07, 2014 6:49 PM  


Yahoo changed its default setting for commissioners from 6 to 4 a few years ago. This is very different than what you are crying about: " most leagues have always been 4 pts QB passing touchdown."

They haven't always been that way. CBS, NFL, and Yahoo were always 6 pt. leagues with Yahoo changing its default for commissioners to 4 pt. a few years ago.

Yahoo even uses small words, so the 4-pointers among us don't get confused:

Quarterback Scoring

An overlooked aspect of a league that has rich quarterback scoring is that it increases the value of the top passers. In 2013, for example, Drew Brees (NO - QB) scored 362 points in leagues that handed out one point per 25 yards passing and four points for touchdown throws-55 points more than Philip Rivers (SD - QB) in the same format. In leagues that awarded one point per 20 passing yards and six points for scores, however, Brees scored 492 points-77 points more than Rivers.

The effect is obvious; high-end quarterback scoring increases the scarcity of the league's top signal-callers, which can have a dramatic effect on your draft philosophy. Namely, a late-round quarterback strategy has a whole lot more value in leagues in which quarterbacks aren't awarded points at an elite rate-particularly six points for passing touchdowns.

tl;dr - Check the league rules, and don't be surprised with high-value QB leagues.

Most important, none of this has any bearing on the fact that you can outscore your league and fail to make the playoffs under any format.

If you insist on painting a mental picture of me, you can just consider me to be that woman troll who finished ahead of some guy who told Bane's ghost they were going to meet again in the playoffs....

Anonymous Daniel December 07, 2014 6:59 PM  

The funny thing is that Vincent's scoring would have likely benefited me the most this year: I never had a QB worth his salt, and my backs and wideouts were yard-munching TD machines. I don't know how my defensive strategy of pulling my opponent's best receiver's QB off of waiver would even come into play there, and in fact I doubt it would, because no matter how well a QB played in that situation, his #1 receiver would still outscore him for the same TDs.

In other words, I couldn't defensively pick up Matt Stafford to neutralize the scoring of my opponent's Megatron and Joique Bell...

Blogger YIH December 07, 2014 7:03 PM  

Looks like it could be another Raiders upset, 24-13 over the Niners. Maybe they should switch out the Gatorade for Red Bull ;)

Blogger Nate December 07, 2014 7:06 PM  

Titans may end up with the first over all pick in the draft. I sure don't see them winning again this year.

Anonymous Daniel December 07, 2014 7:13 PM  

As bad as the Raiders are, I'm not surprised that they might beat SF. They should have beaten NE, the Jets, San Diego and someone else this year, too.

Blogger Josh December 07, 2014 7:13 PM  

Titans may end up with the first over all pick in the draft. I sure don't see them winning again this year.

Hooray we can draft Jameis Winston and be stupid forever...

Anonymous VD December 07, 2014 7:14 PM  

Our league is vastly different. Heck, pick Payton Manning, get one or two top end receivers and you are guaranteed playoffs.

I've been playing fantasy football for a long, long time. 6 points was always standard until the early 2000s, when in an attempt to reduce the link to the changes in the actual game, passing TDs were reduced to 4 points in many leagues.

The VPFL rules are NOT Yahoo Standard anymore, but because they are simply copied from previous years, they are very close to what was Yahoo Standard a few years ago. So, you're both right, in a way.

Anyhow, I've always preferred the game to more closely reflect the real games. And as the guy who used to own Peyton Manning in the league, believe me when I say that the player who makes your team one year can kill it the next. We STILL give the White Buffalo a hard time for his first-round pick of Randall Cunningham in 1999.

Being a fan of the 1998 Vikings, I think total points are absurd. It doesn't matter what you scored last week. It doesn't matter what you'll score next week. Just like the NFL, you need to score more than the team you're actually playing NOW.

Blogger YIH December 07, 2014 7:32 PM  

Checking the standings, the Jacksonvile Jagoffs are still ''on the clock''.
Go Jaguars! To Disneyland.

Blogger Tank December 07, 2014 8:11 PM  

Ok, Nate was right. Titans ARE worse than Giants.

Who knew? Nate knew!

Anonymous Daniel December 07, 2014 9:18 PM  

So, you're both right, in a way.

No, I'm wrong. The standard changed on me and I didn't recognize it, because I've been playing by the original rules for a long time. 4pts is hard for me to grasp as I've obviously never played it, and it sounds a bit like "everybody gets a medal at QB" instead of "QB really freaking matters in the NFL".

On the other hand, I certainly would have benefited this year if Mark Sanchez was on an equalizer with Peyton, Aaron and Tom. For every TD Sanchez didn't score, Peyton would only go up on him by 4!

Blogger Vincent Castrillo December 07, 2014 9:38 PM  

Nate, I'm not complaining about losing. It was pretty fun throughout and the rules can be anything the manager likes. Not miffed a bit about my position in the league. I did a decent job of adjusting throughout the season considering I started 0-3 and will finish 7-7.

I guess the original point to all this was in reaction to VD rightly being frustrated by scoring the most and not making the playoffs. I said in a more standard league he would have made it. A quick glance and some math bears this out. That's basically it.

You and Daniel decided that I was in error and that the league was indeed standard.
I simply pointed out that this was clearly not the case: twice. I even found the correct standard ESPN scoring when Daniel threw a random one out there. On the scoring and rules of our own league it shows VD scoring rules and right next to it the default standard. Of which five major changes were made.

Along the way I've had comments attributed to me about it should be based on wins not points, I should know the rules, bitterness about losing. Never said anything about any of that.

Could care less about losing. I agree that winning games matter more than scores, and I promise you I knew the rules as stated because in any league I play I check them first.
I'm a bit of a math junkie so it forms my strategies. Unfortunately I couldn't implement them due to draft issues that are no one's fault but my own. Perhaps if I had another chance, but that's up to VD next season.

This is all for fun, so I don't mean anything personal or to sound too argumentative, however, I feel like it was right to defend what I said when it is so easily verifiable with evidence and to assume that thoughts or comments that are not my own will not be attributed to me once I have clearly presented said evidence.

Blogger Vincent Castrillo December 07, 2014 9:40 PM  

Oh and Daniel,there is a modifier that fixes that Sanchez Manning problem. If you look there are 25yds/point passing to go along with the 4 pt TD. So Manning is still a killer.What really hurts I believe as I've stated before is the other players being negated by 10yds/pt

Anonymous cheddarman December 08, 2014 8:25 AM  

Alabama vs OSU in the college playoffs. Gotta love that!

Anonymous Zek December 08, 2014 8:53 AM  

Your welcome for Brady, Vincent... After that week 4 disaster in KC, and based on Cousin's 400+ yard game, I thought that Cousins may be the 2013 Nick Foles and I decided to cut Tommy, and TMR concurred. Epic blunder... I may have competed with a QB.

The rules are the rules though. I like decimal scoring because you get credit for every yard but here you know that TDs are more important - my first league in 1990 had a 100 yard threshold for a yardage bonus, so that killed you when your guy finished with 95 and no points.

The only issue I'd look at is the keepers should get allotted at the end of the draft rather than the beginning, like we do in the VP-AFL. Currently, the VPFL champ gets #1 pick in the 4th, which is essentially the first round, and is also #1 in waiver order so that is a distinct advantage for the top teams. If keepers are placed at the end, the worst team gets the overall 1st selection, and if you only keep 2, you merely get an extra late round pick.

In the playoffs in the VP-AFL and VP-AFL Dynasty so I'll be back

Made the playoffs in the VP-AFL and VP-AFL dynasty though so got that going for me

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts