Thursday, January 01, 2015

Traffic report 2014

The growth in site traffic was less spectacular than in 2013, and we saw a 1.5-million pageview month instead of the two-million one that I speculated might be possible, but traffic was nevertheless solid and both VP and AG continued to enjoy increased readership, with an overall 19.7 percent increase in pageviews over the course of the year. And, if anything, it's picking up, as December 2014 was up 38 percent in comparison with December 2013.

In 2014, Vox Popoli had 11,236,085 pageviews and Alpha Game 4,457,537 for a total of 15,693,622 Google pageviews. To the left is a chart showing the monthly traffic for both blogs over the last four years; even without Alpha Game, VP has grown from 11,383 to 34,809 average daily pageviews. Combined, Vox Popoli and Alpha Game are now running at a average rate of 47,343 daily pageviews. Not quite 50k, I'm afraid, not even if they are converted to the slightly more generous Wordpress metric. As for the running annual totals, they are as follows:

2008: 3,496,757
2009: 4,414,801
2010: 4,827,183
2011: 5,969,066
2012: 7,774,074
2013: 13,111,695
2014: 15,693,622

I doubt we'll be able to maintain a 2-year doubling rate for a third straight year, since that would require nearly 11 million more pageviews in 2015, but one never knows. And speaking of nearly 50k daily pageviews, I would be remiss if, for no particular reason at all, I did not continue with a certain comparison that was repeatedly brought to my attention in previous years. This is, of course, the comparison with the hugely famous and massively popular Whatever, formerly the biggest and best-known site in science fiction. The following chart shows the comparative blog traffic over the last six years as measured in Google Pageviews.
Interesting, is it not, that Whatever's traffic has now declined below the point that mine was when it was declared irrelevant on the basis of its paltry traffic by McRapey's fans? So, have we seen Peak McRapey? It's hard to say, as he's increasingly moved to Twitter, an ideal medium for his unique combination of fabrication, snark, and self-promotion.

I found the 2014 totals to be particularly amusing in light of this clueless post by an SF Pinkshirt named Nalini Haynes who went public with her strategy to starve the Supreme Dark Lord: "My website averages well over 600 visits a day. Based on comments from other fanzine people, I’m guessing that’s more readers than VD’s blog would get even when he provokes a shit storm. Let’s deprive him of the traffic."

Apparently it didn't work so well. Anyhow, 2015 promises to be an interesting year at VP and hopefully a much better one than 2014 was. While the Hugo debacle was entertaining and the Castalia launch went much better than anticipated, I didn't finish Book Two, Alpenwolf didn't finish First Sword, and there were some very difficult situations being experienced behind the scenes by friends and family. If, at any point last year, you sensed I didn't give even the smallest damn about the various public contretemps, you were correct.

But we've got two new partners and an exciting new project in the works at Alpenwolf, both First Sword and Book Two will be out this year, and we've got a number of new writers, new bloggers, and new books to announce in the next few months at Castalia. So, thank you for your interest (even if it is no more than morbid curiosity), thank you for your support, and I hope you will come along for the ride in the new year.

Labels: , ,


Blogger wrf3 January 01, 2015 6:22 AM  

Happy New Year, Vox, and here's to continued success to you and all the Ilk.

Anonymous Anon January 01, 2015 6:33 AM  

Man did I get plasterd. I can so drink Nate under the table. Happy New Year.

Blogger Rantor January 01, 2015 6:48 AM  

Happy New Year to Vox & family, and the Dread Ilk. May God's light shine on you throughout the New Year.

Anonymous Porphyry January 01, 2015 7:29 AM  

"Man did I get plasterd." In my family its a tradition to drink champagne in the morning too. So I'm getting ready for another round. Happy New Year! Here's to this year being another year for freedom and sjws losing, and also open ended debate.

Anonymous Poli_Mis January 01, 2015 7:29 AM  

Happy new year, Vox to you and your family! Best of luck in all your endeavors this time around the sun.

All the best and His blessings to all the Ilk and their kin.

Anonymous Porphyry January 01, 2015 7:40 AM  

From Scalzi: "Ive bled words onto a page for you" ah finally he realizes why people even take the time. Would that be menstrual blood by the way?

Anonymous Porphyry January 01, 2015 7:44 AM  

I guess that would be a "hell yes"

Blogger Rek. January 01, 2015 7:50 AM  

Sweden hit by third mosque arson attack in a week

Anonymous jcw January 01, 2015 7:59 AM  

You're welcome.

Anonymous Poli_Mis January 01, 2015 8:03 AM  

No irony at all that 2015 is the Yearof the Sheep

Anonymous Sensei January 01, 2015 8:10 AM  

Happy Year of Our Lord 2015 to all.

Castalia alone is a great achievement for 2014, and certainly brightened up a tough year considerably for me, and I suspect many others. How many readers here knew the name John C. Wright before this past year, or other authors whose solid work we may or may not have stumbled across on our own?

Blogger Tank January 01, 2015 8:18 AM  

That's a lot of dread ilk.

Blogger pdwalker January 01, 2015 8:26 AM  

Well done.

Is there any chance of releasing the Castalia house numbers? I'm curious to see how well that is progressing.

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey January 01, 2015 8:43 AM  

Happy New Year, Vox.

Anonymous VD January 01, 2015 8:52 AM  

Is there any chance of releasing the Castalia house numbers? I'm curious to see how well that is progressing.

Castalia House had 156,420 pageviews, with 42 percent of them coming in the last three months. I expect it to exceed 500,000 next year.

Blogger Hd Hammer January 01, 2015 9:10 AM  

And I thank you for your blogs Vox. I read them daily. Happy and prosperous new year to all. Here's to hoping for no bad situations with family and friends this year.

Anonymous NorthernHamlet January 01, 2015 9:12 AM  

If, at any point last year, you sensed I didn't give even the smallest damn about the various public contretemps, you were correct.

I say, bring on 2015. Let's see what the year offers up.

Happy New Year, Vox and Ilk.

Anonymous daddynichol January 01, 2015 9:12 AM  

Happy New Year to the Vox family, Dread Ilk and everyone's business enterprises. May 2015 be filled with abundant blessings.

Anonymous JJM January 01, 2015 9:17 AM  

I'm part of the 2013-2014 growth (can't recall exactly when / how I found your blogs) and enjoy them immensely, for a variety of reasons. Best of luck to you in 2015.

Blogger Mad Dok Rob January 01, 2015 9:25 AM  

Happy new year Vox and everyone else. May this next year be a good one.

Anonymous maniacprovost January 01, 2015 10:11 AM  

Fair warning, if First Sword sucks, I will emerge from my translucent veil of anonymity and unprovocative non-sequiturs to post a scathing deconstruction of it on Reco, which no one will read.

Anonymous Harsh January 01, 2015 10:57 AM  

But somehow through the magic of the Internet, Whatever gets 50,000 unique visitors each and every day!

Anonymous Giuseppe January 01, 2015 11:00 AM  

2013-2014 were really ugly times for me, and I noted, for more than a few others. Many family and relationship issues were on the front lines for many people besides myself. The effect seems to have been so clear and pervasive that I have come to conclude that there may be more than a little hint of end times in all of it. Here's hoping 2015 brings some happiness and joy. And if it is the end times, then I hope all the ilk and their loved ones get that joy by being part of the saved. As for myself, working on it!
Thank you Vox, for giving us all what is ultimately a spiritual home here.
Buon Anno!

Blogger dixiedog January 01, 2015 11:19 AM  

I wish Vox and family and the Dread Ilk and their respective families a very Happy New Year!

As for me, I´ve been on kidney dialysis since March 2012 and right big toe amputated in July 2012. It took until December 2012 to heal the wound from that because the nerve and circulatory damage (from diabetes) in my lower extremities was extensive. In 2013 I had two eye surgeries (vitrectomies) or I would be blind as a bat today and then in April 2014 I had right eye cataract surgery.

Nevertheless, until 28 Dec. 2014, I was doing fine and then I fractured my ankle. They haven´t casted it yet so it just has a makeshift splint around it currently. I see the orthopedic doctor again on Tuesday to determine if it will heal on its own somewhat or face possible further amputation. I´m going to say no to further amputation...

In spite of all that I´m content, very thankful, blessed and have become MUCH more discerning about SJWs' Gramsian "march through the institutions", government itself, and its enforcers, thanks in no small measure to VP and some of the Ilk commenters, as well as Pro Libertate, especially since the onset of the end stage kidney disease. It's amazing how one being hit with a debilitating, life-long illness can rearrange your worldview quite quickly. For one thing I no longer take ANYTHING for granted anymore. I think the Lord every day that I can still see and that kidney dialysis keeps me alive. However, I'm also keenly aware that government is increasingly involved in my life through Medicare's role in funding 80% of ESKD and the dialysis routine. Even if you had medical insurance beforehand, after a period of time they will dump you onto Medicare so everyone on dialysis is on Medicare after a year on dialysis.

Still, I'm content, thankful, and pray everyday for the Lord to prepare me for the day.

Anonymous WaterBoy January 01, 2015 12:34 PM  

And thank you, Vox, for providing interesting and thought-provoking content, as well as a lively forum for discussion.

Happy New Year to Vox and family, to the Ilk and to the various and sundry other Popolites.

Blogger Breadbasket January 01, 2015 1:17 PM  

This is my favorite blog. VD brings good topics and states his own opinions, not trying to adapt to whatever people want him to do. It is no shock that traffic has increased on Vox Popoli. The MSM integrity is long gone and everyone with a brain does not take them seriously. There was a time when MSM had more street level reporting, but they are now detached from regular people and their concerns. Blogs are more street level, interactive, and interesting. I also enjoy the other commenters from all walks of life and their opinions. The Litmus test will be when censorship starts on blogs, that will be confirmation of their effectiveness. Old media will never have the same power again.

Blogger Jemison Thorsby January 01, 2015 2:39 PM  

Something about this reminds me of how Charlie Reese used to do his annual "conflicts of interest" column. Both that and this are worthy traditions. Happy New Year to you and all the Ilk!

Blogger James Dixon January 01, 2015 2:55 PM  

> "...and there were some very difficult situations being experienced behind the scenes by friends and family."

It's been obvious that you sometimes have other things on your mind. But that's to be expected. Real life does have a way of asserting itself. I don't expect any details on the blog, for obvious reasons.

Last year was, uhmm, eventful, in a number of ways for us. But all in all I have no major complaints. I still have a good paying job (even if it does now involve a 4 hour commute each day), and immediate family members are as healthy as can be expected given the ages involved.

I hope all the Ilk had a wonderful Christmas and have joyous New Year's day. And I wish all of you a healthy and prosperous year ahead.

Blogger grendel January 01, 2015 4:09 PM  

I'd be more whiny about AODAL 2 not being out, but you published so much other stuff this year that I'm not done reading all my Castalia purchases yet! This year is gonna be awesome.

Anonymous Viidad January 01, 2015 9:12 PM  

@ dixiedog

Sounds really rough. I pray you have a healthier 2015.

Anonymous kh123 January 01, 2015 10:34 PM  

Hang in there, DD.

Blogger Mekadave January 02, 2015 4:05 AM  

Stay strong DD, and good luck to you

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts