Sunday, February 15, 2015

They can hear you

In space, the demons can hear you scream.  

Hyperspace Demons is a novella from our newest author, and it is one you'll want to check out if you're a science fiction fan. From the reviews:

Mixed in with hyperspace and spaceships is the interesting concept of “hyperspace microbes” that can possess a human mind, driving the person insane. These microbes are kept out of the spaceship by a special shield, so there shouldn’t be any problems, right? That’s where the plot pulls off some unexpected twists and turns, making for a fun read. Moeller keeps up the pace all the way to the end. Amazingly, for a novella there is much more that could be said, but I fear explaining anymore will reveal too much.

The story grabs you, and you don't want to put it down until it is over. Once the action begins, it builds and builds without letup until the very end. I can't think of any higher praise than: When I was done, I wished it was longer, because I was enjoying it so much. 

In other Castalia House news, I'm pleased to be able to announce that we will be publishing a second book by Israeli military historian Martin van Creveld this year. In addition to Equality: The Impossible Quest, we will be publishing The Art of War: A History of Military Strategy.



Blogger Joe A. February 15, 2015 2:15 PM  

A physical copy with this art on the cover would be stunning.

Anonymous aviendha February 15, 2015 2:27 PM  

Finally got my hardbound awake in the night land. Moar hardcovers please. Also is it possible to leather hardbound the original Night Land from the 19 teens isn't it public domain? I enjoyed wright's a lot more after I put it down and read the 100 year old beginning.

Anonymous BioShock Jock February 15, 2015 2:57 PM  

That's a really kickass book cover! While I might not agree with all the politics talked about here, I'd love to see some hardback or paperback copies of these books.

Anonymous Salt February 15, 2015 3:07 PM  

Kickass cover, JartStar. Downloaded and should be done with it by tomorrow.

Blogger Rantor February 15, 2015 4:05 PM  

Read a lot of Martin van Creveld while working on my MA. Always enjoyed his perspective. Looking forward to the new books. Flying to florida tomorrow, will check out HD.

Anonymous Nathan February 15, 2015 4:17 PM  

Good story. Well worth the money spent. Tough to review though and not spill the beans.

Anonymous Waaaaaaarghhhhh!!! February 15, 2015 4:31 PM  

If you liked that, you'd probably like Scalzi's The God Engines. Both seem derivative of Warhammer 40k, Scalzi less so somehow.

Anonymous fp February 15, 2015 5:33 PM  

"A physical copy with this art on the cover would be stunning."

A book jacket would really work.

OpenID taqiyyologist February 15, 2015 6:05 PM  

Is the cover art phallic? A little bit?

Asking for a friend.

Blogger GK Chesterton February 15, 2015 6:06 PM  

Demons sucking you down on portals predates 40k by a significant margin. If JC Wright pops by I'm sure he can throw some historical picks out there.

Given everyone is talking up Butcher's "Skin Game" I'm finishing his fourth book in the series right now. If it gets nominated I want to be able to judge it fairly (but $10ish a pop for ebooks?!!?!!!??). I have to admit I find it slow reading. I've commented on him before but I found the TV series much better than the first three books. His "comedy" gets in the way of the story, he has a very hard time writing women, he's not a stellar stylist and his characters are somewhat bland. I'm assuming given the praise some have heaped on "Skin Game" I'm assuming things get better. Can someone give me a hint as to when? And, for the record, I appreciate his approach to SP III.

Anonymous Jonathan Moeller, Pulp Writer February 15, 2015 6:51 PM  

Thanks for reading, everyone.

The original inspiration for HYPERSPACE DEMONS was a sf CD-ROM game from the early 1990s called IRON HELIX. Later on I saw EVENT HORIZON, which wasn't very good, but the rest of the idea came from that.

I've never played Warhammer 40k. I did once upgrade a friend's video card for him so he could play WARHAMMER 40K: SPACE MARINE, but that was the closest I have come to actually playing the game.

Blogger doofus February 15, 2015 7:16 PM  

I think the story was completely unoriginal. Do you have the slightest idea how often the whole "people in spaceships" thing has been done? I have a hard time believing that people are still milking that old trope.

(For the humor impaired, yes, the above is irony)

I enjoyed the story, and really did mean what I said, I wished it was longer.

Thanks for the story, Jonathan, looking forward to more from you.


Blogger dvdivx February 15, 2015 7:35 PM  

Why would demons have the samesimilar personalities when humans and angels don't?
Also since the blog here is open to scifi/fantasy do you think the marriage market would break down sufficiently to where a Christian male would consider a non-human wife if she (the non-human) were capable of having a human female body and a half-decent personality. Plenty of non-Christian stories about it and exactly zero stories that mention the religious angle of it.

Blogger automatthew February 15, 2015 8:58 PM  

Originality is overrated. Do you fault Sophocles for covering the same territory as Aeschylus?

Larry Niven's Known Space had weird things happening in hyperspace near stars before I was born. It was intriguing until he solved it in a recent Ringworld book. Not so much then.

Now if you start out with it being known that hyperspace is inhabited by demons, it's a different kind of story you're telling. Less Nostromo and more Father Damien.

Anonymous fp February 15, 2015 9:21 PM  

"Why would demons have the samesimilar personalities when humans and angels don't?"

Same reason the leftist cult of personality is all similar. They worship darkness ie... nothingness therefore there is no shape,form or variety.

Anonymous Morris February 15, 2015 11:22 PM  

Vox, thought I'd point out that if someone is buying from Castalia House, buying from Australia is not possible. The form needs a US state provided for address purposes and only the US. It will not move on in the process unless that is provided.

Just a FYI, I ended up getting the book on Amazon so no big deal.

Blogger ManiaC Provost February 16, 2015 12:03 AM  

Elbonia should be an option in the Castalia store.

Anonymous Bz February 16, 2015 5:13 AM  

GK Chesterton,

I found the first few Dresden books pretty slow going too. I think Butcher learned how to write page turners in his Codex Alera series. Dead Beat (book 7) could for that reason be a good place to resume, and I seem to recall it was pretty good.

Blogger Duke of Earl February 16, 2015 6:52 AM  

Vox wrote some interesting demons in his War in Heaven series.

OpenID cailcorishev February 16, 2015 10:31 AM  

For a lot of fans, the Dresden books get better when Michael Carmichael comes into the story. He adds a dimension of actual faith and a power that comes from somewhere real. Unfortunately, that doesn't really fit into the overall mythos where all gods are as real as you think they are and power can come from anywhere. Butcher's disdain for religion keeps him from playing a truly good Christian warrior straight for very long, so he brings in two other Sword holders who de-Christianize the concept as much as possible.

After that, they all seemed pretty similar to me. If you've read a couple of the books featuring Michael and you're still underwhelmed, I doubt it's going to get better for you, though I haven't read the most recent one.

Blogger Zaklog the Great February 16, 2015 10:54 AM  

I downloaded and read it yesterday. Very enjoyable story. Sometime in the next few days, I'll add a review to Amazon.

As for hyperspace demons in earlier stories, I think the earliest one I'm aware of is a Cordwainer Smith story, although I'm very worried I have the author wrong. They called them other-dimensional monsters dragons and they had cats protecting them somehow. The details, unfortunately, are quite vague in my memory.

Blogger Markku February 16, 2015 11:35 AM  

Morris, you probably have some kind of anti-script plugin that's preventing correct operation. When I tried picking Australia, the state-dropdown contents switched to Australian territories.

Anonymous Darth Toolpodicus February 16, 2015 12:53 PM  

"Butcher's disdain for religion keeps him from playing a truly good Christian warrior straight for very long, "

The same Jim Butcher that was active in Kansas City Youth for Christ?

OpenID cailcorishev February 16, 2015 1:16 PM  

If Butcher doesn't have the "all religions are equal (equally false, for the most part, but perhaps with some value as myth)" attitude that's so common in SF/F, he does a good job of faking it for that series. Maybe I shouldn't assume it reflects his beliefs. I haven't read his other books.

Blogger Zaklog the Great February 16, 2015 2:27 PM  

By the way, Vox, I noticed a (very minor) typo in Hyperspace Demons. I assume since it's an ebook you can issue a corrected edition without too much trouble. I can e-mail you the correction if you'd like.

Anonymous Bz February 16, 2015 4:04 PM  

Zaklog, that would be "The Game of Rat and Dragon", indeed by the esteemed Cordwainer Smith.

Blogger Mekadave February 16, 2015 6:12 PM  

This book is next in my reading queue, looking forward to it!

Anonymous Morris February 16, 2015 9:03 PM  

Markku, I do have Adblock active as a rule. I'll check it out next time. Thanks.

Blogger Markku February 16, 2015 10:05 PM  

Adblock shouldn't cause these problems. However, an exension called NoScript probably would, as it might prevent the dropdown to be dynamically populated using the contents of another dropdown, which can only be done using JavaScript.

Blogger Vox February 17, 2015 8:03 AM  

Yes, email any typos, please.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts