ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2016 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Monday, May 11, 2015

Can you say *ASTERISK

The NFL drops the hammer on Brady and the Patriots:
The NFL came down hard on its biggest star and its championship team, telling Tom Brady and the Patriots that no one is allowed to mess with the rules of the game. The league suspended the Super Bowl MVP Monday for the first four games of the season, fined the New England Patriots $1 million and took away two draft picks as punishment for deflating footballs used in the AFC title game.
It seems reasonable, or it would if they hadn't suspended AD for the entire 2014 season and suspended Ray Rice indefinitely for things that didn't call the competitive balance of the game into question.

Labels:

74 Comments:

Blogger Unknown May 11, 2015 8:42 PM  

So, if you are betting on NFL games, you are the sucker.

Anonymous frenchy May 11, 2015 8:46 PM  

Yeah. Kinda lopsided, but taking into consideration with what image Goodell was trying to project, and who he was trying to please, it all makes sense. He wasn't trying to be fair, but appeasing.

I don't think Brady's appeal stands a chance.

Anonymous Jack Amok May 11, 2015 8:54 PM  

Patriot's fan butthurtedness commencing in three...two...one...

Blogger maniacprovost May 11, 2015 9:03 PM  

Class action lawsuit from legal gamblers?

Anonymous Jimbo May 11, 2015 9:19 PM  

Oh for heaven's sake! Let the teams inflate balls however they feel like! Who the hell cares? What the hell difference does it make?

Anonymous Difster VFM #109 May 11, 2015 9:20 PM  

This is why I don't bother paying attention to the NFL anymore.

Blogger D. Lane May 11, 2015 9:31 PM  

Patriot's fan butthurtedness commencing in three...two...one...

The only people who are going to be butthurt are the ones thinking the appeal isn't going to suck the wind right out of Goodell's sails.

That said, the last time Brady was out for a meaningful amount of time (2008 IIRC) was the last time the Patriots had an interesting season. I'm a Pats fan, but watching Brady play on win mode throughout the regular season year after year has grown tiresome.

Anonymous Jonathan May 11, 2015 9:33 PM  

I don't see why I should care. This seems like an issue that the league only cares about after the fact because of media attention. The league hasn't cared about what QBs do to the balls because they want more offense.

Anonymous PFT Commenter May 11, 2015 9:34 PM  

Patriot's fan butthurtedness commencing in three...two...one...

You know who's else had a hurt but?

Blogger rcocean May 11, 2015 9:46 PM  

Taking away 2 draft picks seems excessive.

Anonymous zen0 May 11, 2015 9:48 PM  

It used to be said by some professional sports types, that if you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'.

Kinda like the Banksters Creed.

This is why I don't bother paying attention to the NFL anymore.

Since they have been courting women, it has become much more akin to Soap Opera fare? Bill Simmons once said something about that, but I bet he will never repeat it.

Anonymous zen0 May 11, 2015 9:53 PM  


> Taking away 2 draft picks seems excessive.


Fire the ballboys. Have them serve time. That is the way competent organizations deal with such things.

Anonymous Dan May 11, 2015 10:04 PM  

Adrian Peterson is not a righteous guy. In 2013, one of his sons was beaten to death by the mother's boyfriend. He has six kids by different women and clearly doesn't take care of most of them.

Wiki--
"On October 6, 2014, it was reported that Peterson used funds from his charity, All Day, Inc., to pay for a 2011 orgy with four women and two relatives, including his underage brother. Peterson was engaged to his current wife at the time of the alleged event."

His current punishment is justice... not for corporal punishment but the rest of his behavior.

Anonymous zen0 May 11, 2015 10:07 PM  

Pete Rose got butt screwed just for betting on games he wasn't even playing in.

Barry Bonds is reviled.

Brady got a wrist slap. He should be kicked out of the league, but they can't do that. Too high profile.

Maybe they will make a deal like the NBA did with Jordan. Look for a season ending, mysterious injury. Or maybe he will decide to take up professional golf.

Or, on the extreme end, an assassination by an overwrought psychopathic Colts fan.

Anonymous zen0 May 11, 2015 10:10 PM  

@ Dan

His current punishment is justice... not for corporal punishment but the rest of his behavior.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with corrupting his chosen profession.

Anonymous FriarBob May 11, 2015 10:12 PM  

It would be more reasonable if they'd actually PROVEN something, instead of ("apparently") working backwards from a foreordained conclusion. They waved their hands and assumed that the referee whose "best recollection" (which if that isn't functionally equivalent to "more probable than not" it flat-out should be) was that he used one pressure gauge (the one that did NOT point to cheating) instead "obviously must have" used the other one. Conveniently, thereby, "proving" cheating.

Oh and I am not a Cheatriots fan. I'm an Aint's fan. And yes I'm a bit biased because of BountyFarce, but being angry over one travesty of injustice doesn't automatically guarantee an inability to see facts for facts. It can cause it. It doesn't guarantee it. I still call them the Cheatriots (off and on depending on my mood, that is) over Spygate and I cheered for the Tinies in 2007.

But the "proof" is still simply not there.

Conduct detrimental to the league over non-cooperation with the investigation? Now THAT, in contrast, actually appears to be proven. That might be worth a suspension. It might even be worth the 4 games he got in its own right.

Intentional deflation of the balls? That's so far from proven it makes BountyFarce looks like an open and shut case. And that was all-but actually DISproven. Oh Gregg Williams talked a loathsome pile of rubbish, but his players also had clearly tuned him out as the bombastic moron that he was.

All that said, whomever said they don't bother paying attention the NFL is on to something. Wish I could stop caring about my Aint's. Guess I wasn't raised right or something. :) But Goodell has become his own worst enemy. He should have been fired over BountyFarce alone, except for how it clearly bought the league a (tissue-thin) bit of cover on concussions. Ray Rice (and AP/Hardy/etc) he escaped only because of the steadfast support of Kraft and friends.

Oops.

Way to go, Rog! Biting the hand that feeds you is always a wise career-enhancing move, as everybody well knows, but I'd really recommend you start polishing up your resume "just in case".

Anonymous BigGaySteve May 11, 2015 10:16 PM  

So no actual proof, but lots of refs touching his balls not noticing anything, yet Mike Vic who went to jail for thinking dogfighting was legal & that the cops just be harassing him had people bending over backwards to get him back into the system. Do they really hate that the 2 whitest teams made it to the end that much? They should test players for steroids in the offseason.

Anonymous zen0 May 11, 2015 10:21 PM  

> So no actual proof, but lots of refs touching his balls not noticing anything,

Why would they? They do not pass the ball. They do not throw the ball. They do not kick the ball.

At most, they place the ball, and watch the ball.

They are voyeurs.

Anonymous zen0 May 11, 2015 10:31 PM  



@ FriarBob

But the "proof" is still simply not there.

From an article on the conviction of former Patriot Aaron Henandez:


Circumstantial evidence is in dire need of a public relations agency. Often described as weak and unconvincing, it is continually bashed by criminal defense attorneys as being synonymous with reasonable doubt. It enjoys none of the glamour of its attractive twin sisters DNA and scientifically based forensic evidence, who even get their own TV shows. In truth, though, circumstantial evidence can sometimes be compelling and highly reliable. When combined with a touch of supporting direct evidence it can be the strongest of all cases as it does not rely on frequently unreliable eyewitnesses. As prosecutors often say in their summations, circumstantial evidence has no motive to lie and no problem with its eyesight.

Blogger Poor Guy May 11, 2015 10:32 PM  

What was the punishment for Ray Rice and Ray Lewis again??

Anonymous Anonymous May 11, 2015 10:33 PM  

The hilarity of this entire issue is peaking, but not quite there, yet.

Out on a limb - Roger is in his last year. jb

Anonymous Jonathan May 11, 2015 10:35 PM  

[B]Conduct detrimental to the league over non-cooperation with the investigation? Now THAT, in contrast, actually appears to be proven. That might be worth a suspension. It might even be worth the 4 games he got in its own right.[/B]

From what I can tell his lack of cooperation consisted of being unwilling to turn over his phone and email to investigators. When you see how the report includes irrelevant texts from the ball boys it would appear Brady made a wise decision.

Anonymous zen0 May 11, 2015 10:40 PM  

> When you see how the report includes irrelevant texts from the ball boys it would appear Brady made a wise decision.

AHA! He had to protect the information that would have led to the uncovering of a pedophile ring in the bowels of Gillette Stadium.
Wise choice

Anonymous FriarBob May 11, 2015 10:49 PM  

Conduct detrimental to the league over non-cooperation with the investigation? Now THAT, in contrast, actually appears to be proven. That might be worth a suspension. It might even be worth the 4 games he got in its own right.

From what I can tell his lack of cooperation consisted of being unwilling to turn over his phone and email to investigators. When you see how the report includes irrelevant texts from the ball boys it would appear Brady made a wise decision.


I did say "appears to be" and "might" be worth a suspension.

That, at least, IS a clear violation of the rules. Should it be? Well, no, probably not. But it still is one, at least according to the current rules.

Anonymous Boomer "bafoon"[sic] "validictorian"[sic] May 11, 2015 10:50 PM  

The NFL should have voided at least one of the P*triots SBs back when the Spygate tapes came out. Since Goodell decided to burn the tapes we may never know what was on them, but the response obviously indicates that the tapes wouldn't have exonerated Belicheat and the rest of the slimy Pats organization. The tapes were probably worth aout one possession a game, which is exactly what the winning margin in all of the P*ts SB wins was.

Anonymous zen0 May 11, 2015 10:52 PM  

>The hilarity of this entire issue is peaking, but not quite there, yet.

Brady's agent is declaring the league conspired with the Colts over all this.

Even though Goodell is Kraft's poodle.
Its all just crisis management for the public circus. Once Pink Month kicks in, it will all be forgotten.

Or maybe by June.

Blogger bob k. mando May 11, 2015 10:57 PM  

so ... the REFS allowed the first half of the AFC championship to be played with illegal balls

the NFL decides this means the Patriots were cheating ...

and that Brady directed it ...

but they're not going to vacate the SuperBowl?

and they also made sure not to arrive at this until after the penalty could not impact a playoff game?

and it won't impact an upcoming playoff game either?

i'm ... not really seeing how this is a punishment mete for the purported crime.

Anonymous FriarBob May 11, 2015 10:58 PM  

@zen0

Circumstantial evidence is in dire need of a public relations agency.

Well, yeah. That's true. But by definition, circumstantial evidence must still be actual evidence. It cannot be "well we want this to be true, therefore it must be". That is BLIND faith, and is almost always despite any contradicting evidence... as opposed to reasonable faith in something you THINK is true but can't outright prove.

There is a ton of circumstantial evidence that at least somebody on the team was trying their best to "push the limits". There's a ton of circumstantial evidence that the equipment people were obviously doing SOMETHING the NFL didn't like. And there's outright proof of one violation of the rules, in the way the balls went missing for those key five minutes.

There is no proof of deliberate deflating of the balls. Which supposedly was the original accusation, mind you. Worse yet, there's even STRONG circumstantial evidence that the key balls in question WERE NOT actually under-inflated at the start of the game. Which was the point of my quoted reference to the head ref's "best recollection", after all.

In a court of law, this would be conviction for obstruction of justice when the DA filed Murder-1 charges.

Or it should be, at any rate.

Anonymous BGS May 11, 2015 11:03 PM  

Speaking of bad behaving football players here is one that is suing a woman he raped in college and had video shot of it disappear, with the campus cops helping cover up for him.
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/jameis-winston-files-counterclaim-denies-he-raped-woman/2229027

He did other class acts like http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/9/16/6252613/jameis-winston-stood-on-a-table-at-fsu-and-yelled-f-k-her-right-in
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/07/30/florida-state-jameis-winston-bb-gun-police-gunpoint-squirrels/13362083/
http://www.tomahawknation.com/2014/4/30/5668004/jameis-winston-arrested-shoplifting-crab-legs-publix

Anonymous zen0 May 11, 2015 11:05 PM  

>i'm ... not really seeing how this is a punishment mete for the purported crime.


see zen0 10:52'
they have to manage the Journosphere. Brady has to eat a little shite for a time and everything goes back to normal. He does whatever he is told and has no personal honour to defend, so for him it is just business as usual.


Anonymous Too-Soon-ami May 11, 2015 11:10 PM  

A just punishment would be to surgically remove Brady's balls, freeze them in carbonite and display them at Yankee Stadium, let him continue playing, then reattach them after 4 games.

Anonymous Too-Soon-ami May 11, 2015 11:14 PM  

zen0: "Pete Rose got butt screwed just for betting on games he wasn't even playing in."


Granted, he was managing the team, but he bet on his team to WIN. How anyone could call that a scandal is beyond me.

Anonymous zen0 May 11, 2015 11:18 PM  

> then reattach them after 4 games.

But deflated ever so slightly, to avoid detection from his owner, Ms. Bundchen

Blogger Josh May 11, 2015 11:24 PM  

I don't care about ballghazi at all

Anonymous zen0 May 11, 2015 11:31 PM  

> I don't care about ballghazi at all

Thank goodness we can get away from the "gate" suffix. It is about time.

but what difference does it make?

Anonymous Brian May 11, 2015 11:33 PM  

Basically, the draft is over, the only thing worth talking about in minicamps is injuries, so the NFL needed some headlines. Can't let 10 days go by without some controversy to blabber about. No surer way to do it than suspend a star. I mean, seriously, who the fuck wants to talk about baseball or the Triple Crown? Fags, maybe. Get football back on the air. It also makes people forget ESPN's bad decision to rid itself of Simmons. In case you weren't in the loop, The Days of Our Lives is now executive produced by Roger Goodell.

Blogger Edward J. Cunningham May 11, 2015 11:33 PM  

If the general public (not just NFL fans) was as offended by Tom Brady's cheating (let's not mince words---that's what it was) as they were by Ray Rice beating his wife in an elevator---to the point where NFL sponsors were threatening to pull out---then yes, Brady would be suspended for an entire year, if not more. But they're not, so they won't.

Anonymous zen0 May 11, 2015 11:45 PM  

@ Edward J. Cunningham

> as they were by Ray Rice beating his wife in an elevator-

He did not beat her. She attacked him, he defended himself by instinct. Its all on tape. She was obviously sorry after, with the looming loss of lolly and all.

No one took a poll on the public at the time, did they? I bet a lot of women would say she had it comin. Blacks resolve conflict like that. Trouble is, it got caught on Whitey's web cam.

The Baltimore mom that smacked her son over and over was a hero, and he did not even attack her.

Just sayin.......

Anonymous zen0 May 11, 2015 11:48 PM  

Just to be clear, I understand your point about sponsors.

Blogger Nate May 12, 2015 12:12 AM  

i am stunned that we've seen a multi-game suspension for something that happened on the field.

when was the last? suh?

Anonymous Jack Amok May 12, 2015 12:30 AM  

You know who's else had a hurt but?

I assume you mean Seahawk's fans but you're wrong. We're copacetic with it. Sucks to lose because your Offensive Coordinator is a complete moron, but thems the breaks. Problem happened because Taima got confused and attacked some poor random bald guy in the stands instead of going after Bevell like he was supposed to. Anyway, we lost the game and deserved to for calling a stupid, stupid play.

But Bhastan fans, ho boy, you guys can't take a setback. Kind of like Gammas that way. Can't ever admit to screwing up.

I've seen Pats fan blatantly lying about the report, and a few days ago, Guitar Man went with the old "google it" dodge to claim the fumble stats were bullshit. I called him on it, and the one link he provided (in a snippy, passive-aggressive tone) seemed to think pointing out someone used ALL CAPS was a legitimate criticism of their statistical analysis. I've really been astonished at some of the lies I've heard on the air - real Bill Clinton/Baghdad Bob level stuff.

Some people say they don't care about the NFL. Some don't care about SF/F. Some wonder how deflated footballs and Hugo awards can add up to a hill of beans given all the problems in the world today. And really they don't, but they sure do a great job of highlighting the same dysfunctions that are at the cause of so many of the world's problems.

Anonymous Jack Amok May 12, 2015 12:32 AM  

i am stunned that we've seen a multi-game suspension for something that happened on the field.

Technically Nate, it happened in a bathroom without a urinal (i.e. a Women's Restroom), so I think we're safe.

Blogger IM2L844 May 12, 2015 12:42 AM  

Much ado about nothing. I predict Brady will appeal and win.

If the general public (not just NFL fans) was as offended by Tom Brady's cheating...

If the general public (not just conservatives) was as offended by someone seeking to hold the most powerful position on the planet withholding evidence as they are about Tom Brady not handing over his phone then yes, Hillary would be locked-up for an entire year, if not more.

Never overestimate the intelligence of the general public.

Blogger bob k. mando May 12, 2015 12:55 AM  

zen0 May 11, 2015 11:05 PM
they have to manage the Journosphere.



i understand that Goodell is just trying to play to the SJW journalists.

my point is that the 'punishment' is bizarrely irrelevant to the purported crime. this offense occurred IN a playoff game, the winning of which permitted the Pats to get to the SuperBowl. AFTER an extensive history of complaints from other teams.

IF you presume that the NFL 'proved' something here
THEN you should presume on the same basis that it's been going on for a while.

also, the referees made an integral failure in the case of this game. a failure which could have easily been fixed as soon as they identified that the ball bag had been moved to the field without their knowledge.

there's only a 50% chance that the Patriots were going to be on offense for the first series. delegate one of the reserve judges to immediately start testing ball pressures.

IF the Patriots are on offense first
THEN tell them they have to use balls out of the backup bag
UNTIL all of balls in the primary bag have been rechecked.

if balls are found out of spec in the rechecking, document for punishment after the game.

you CERTAINLY would never permit any of the known to be suspect and possibly illegal balls to be put into play.

i'm wondering if any of the referees are going to be punished for failing to properly administer the game?

Blogger Daniel May 12, 2015 1:19 AM  

It didn't happen on the field, it technically is game tampering. Avoidable by the league, insignificant to the outcome, but tampering. Voiding the SB would be plain stupid. The penalty for cheating is the future, not the past. The NFL should suspend itself for changing the ball rules to accommodate cheating. What idiots.

Blogger Noah B #120 May 12, 2015 2:11 AM  

Everything else is a fraud. Why should football be any different?

Blogger SmokeyJoe May 12, 2015 2:21 AM  

Meh....If Carroll had run the ball and won the SB then this woulda' been a non issue. NFL startin' to smell like WWF....

Anonymous Will Best May 12, 2015 3:27 AM  

This won't stick obviously. It will get whittled down to something like a 100k fine, 1 game suspension, and only the 4th rounder. The CBA is controlling with respects to Brady and the arbitrators have a little more dubious take on circumstantial evidences than the masses.

Adrian Peterson is not a righteous guy. In 2013, one of his sons was beaten to death by the mother's boyfriend.

In fairness, the whore had cuckold the boyfriend, and AP wasn't even made aware of the child until right before the beating.

Anonymous Will Best May 12, 2015 3:27 AM  

Meh....If Carroll had run the ball and won the SB then this woulda' been a non issue. NFL startin' to smell like WWF....

Lynch isn't the goal line back you think he is.

Blogger LP 999/Eliza May 12, 2015 6:35 AM  

As long as Gisele is ok, all is good.

Blogger YIH May 12, 2015 7:20 AM  

zen0:
Pete Rose got butt screwed just for betting on games he wasn't even playing in.
Nope. Any betting on baseball is a year suspension. What got Pete the banhammer was betting on games where he was manager/player (the Reds) where there was the possibility of altering the game according to betting.
That said, the loss of the million and the two draft picks will stand. My guess is the suspension will be reduced before the start of the season. I still think he'll wind up sitting out the first two games.
Also the NFL should change how (no pun intended) ball handling procedures - the refs stay in control of game balls from entering the stadium to placing the current ball in play, teams do not supply balls nor have any contact with them until play. They also control if and when balls are changed out. A player can tell refs ''this ball is wet/soft/hard/ect I want a fresh ball'' and get a fresh ball, other than that, the refs maintain control until the final gun.
Then the batch of balls is split between the two teams for such things as 'game ball awards'.

Blogger Nate May 12, 2015 7:50 AM  

"Lynch isn't the goal line back you think he is."

dude.

The patriots didn't stop lynch that whole game.

Blogger Guitar Man May 12, 2015 8:17 AM  

Jack a Seahawks fan. Suddenly it all makes sense.

Brady should be suspended, but the draft picks is what pisses me off.

Blogger Owen May 12, 2015 9:30 AM  

Brady should be suspended, but the draft picks is what pisses me off.

The organization had to be punished, as well.

No one is going to touch, inflate, deflate, tamper with Tom Brady's game balls without it being communicated through the organization.

You think a ball boy (guy) would do that on his own? Or Brady actually took the time?

Nah. They had to slap the org. And it's not inconceivable that the league slapped harder because it's not the Patriots' first time on the fuzzy side of the line.

Blogger Marissa May 12, 2015 9:36 AM  

"Bill Simmons once said something about that, but I bet he will never repeat it."

Simmons won't be repeating much of anything on ESPN. They declined to renew his contract after he accused Goodell of lacking "testicular fortitude". ESPN is run by vaginaboys.

Blogger Marissa May 12, 2015 9:36 AM  

"Bill Simmons once said something about that, but I bet he will never repeat it."

Simmons won't be repeating much of anything on ESPN. They declined to renew his contract after he accused Goodell of lacking "testicular fortitude". ESPN is run by vaginaboys.

Blogger Guitar Man May 12, 2015 9:41 AM  

Simmons twitter woke up finally.

Blogger Daniel May 12, 2015 10:01 AM  

The report exonerated Kraft and Hoodie. Goodell punishes Kraft and Hoodie.Makes sense.

Blogger Guitar Man May 12, 2015 10:04 AM  

Goodell runs with the court of public opinion. Classic SJW.

Anonymous JCB May 12, 2015 11:00 AM  

This isn't over. If Brady has been doing this for years, it's just a matter of time until TMZ lures a ball boy out of the shadows for $100k or so to tell his story.

Blogger Guitar Man May 12, 2015 11:49 AM  

JCB, very true. TMZ is probably out digging around on other teams now. I'm getting my popcorn ready.

Blogger YIH May 12, 2015 12:20 PM  

Before someone even mentioned it, I realized ''what about the balls used on the sidelines/pregame by the QBs and Ks?''.
Easy, keep the game balls exactly as is (add a date stamp for authentication) but the ''Official NFL practice'' balls are, specs-wise, identical - with one difference, the 'NFL' and trim around the 'Wilson' are silver instead of gold.
That way if some team tries to get cute and swap balls, that can be seen at a glance.
[Ref holds up ball, 'NFL' facing camera]: ''Illegal ball penalty, 10 yards, remains...''.
Not as radical as you might think, teams have been assessed penalties for 'excessive crowd noise' and 'the trick knee play' (teams used to do that as a way to get free timeouts - now any player claiming injury must sit out at least one play).

Anonymous patrick kelly May 12, 2015 12:49 PM  

The only hurt butts are the whiners and losers who had Brady and Pats foot up their asses the last 15 years.

This is so lame, and as a die hard fan of Da'Raiders, I should have lots of butt hurt toward them, but I don't, because I'm primarily a football fan, and the lame ass pussy NO FUN LAMERS league is pathetic.

This is like prison time for going 5mph over the speed limit. Up till this sorry point in history it was enforced by refs who, when they noticed a problem with the ball, just asked for another one to their liking and kept closer tabs on them the rest of the game, and rarely was anyone else even aware of it happening......they rarely even exchanged words with a QB or coach about it.

Blogger Guitar Man May 12, 2015 1:51 PM  

All of the Patriots social media sites have just changed their profile pictures to TB's jersey. Popcorn is ready.

Anonymous Mavwreck May 12, 2015 3:56 PM  

I am a Pats fan but here's my take:

Goodell's actions here (assuming he orchestrated it all) show he's a complete idiot. His only concern is public opinion. He's issued an extreme punishment that's very hard to justify. Goodell probably thinks this is some sort of public negotiation - he starts with a 4-game suspension, and figures Brady will appeal, get 2, and accept that. He doesn't realize Brady really can't accept any suspension, for the sake of his reputation.

Going after Brady is one thing, though...going after the rest of the Patriots when the Wells report exonerated Belichick and Kraft is just dumb. He's attacked his major defender amongst the owners, and didn't really have any evidence to justify it. Just based on that, he is too stupid to keep his job.

Kraft's also made a pretty big mistake, though. He's been Goodell's major supporter through the last few years; now his "PR first" commissioner has come back to attack him. I suspect Kraft thought he'd always be the commissar, and not the body in the ditch.

As for the report and Brady - I don't think there's enough in that report to even meet the "more likely than not" standard. Brady may well hover over the line of the rules with some sort of "Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?" comment, but I don't think he'd be stupid enough to step across the line.

Blogger Guitar Man May 12, 2015 4:23 PM  

Jack, I just stumbled on another a few minutes ago.

http://statsbylopez.com/2015/05/09/glmm/

Blogger bob k. mando May 12, 2015 7:38 PM  

Daniel May 12, 2015 1:19 AM
It didn't happen on the field, it technically is game tampering. Avoidable by the league, insignificant to the outcome, but tampering. Voiding the SB would be plain stupid.



i don't care about whether you think the / any penalty is stupid.

i don't care about whether Nate thinks the / any penalty is stupid.

i don't care about whether Vox thinks the / any penalty is stupid.

i don't care about whether *i* think the / any penalty is stupid.

what i'm pointing out is that, ACCORDING TO WHAT THE NFL IS CLAIMING, ( extensive pattern of cheating, including regular season and other playoff games )

and

that they know for a certitude that the first half of the AFC championship was played with illegal balls

the punishment meted out by the NFL is completely irrational and does not address the "benefit" ( Patriots much lower fumble rate than other outdoor teams, if you go with that analysis from last fall ) which the Patriots have received from the "cheating".

as for myself, i don't even agree that they've proven anything.

even the NFLs own report notes that this vanishing ball bag issue only ever happened against the Colts.

THEREFORE

*if* the Patriots are deflating the balls on an every game basis
*then* they have a different methodology of doing it.

frankly, the ball boys story about trying to be 'helpful' may well be correct.

when i'm on a job site, that's what i'm constantly doing; looking for what needs to be done that no one else is working on. the failure to clear it with the head ref was really stupid, but whateryagonnado?

Anonymous buckeyecopperhead May 12, 2015 8:37 PM  

Brady, Hoodie and the Pats got off easy. Alex Karras and Paul Horning got banned for a year, and for much less.

http://espn.go.com/classic/s/moment010417hornung-karras-betting.html

"While Hornung says his bets were made with friends, for $100 or $200, Rozelle says the player bet as much as $500 on NFL games from 1959-61. Hornung is contrite after learning of the suspension. 'I made a terrible mistake,' he says. 'I am truly sorry.'"

Rozelle says Karras made at least six bets of $50 or $100. Karras is bitter about the suspension."

Anonymous Jack Amok May 12, 2015 11:03 PM  

Jack, I just stumbled on another a few minutes ago.

Odd to find you just now "stumbling upon" these things when a couple of days ago you were dead certain the Internet was loaded with impeccable refutations of Sharps fumble analysis.

Anyway, I don't think your new entry quite meets the bar, considering it says (before discussing a single number):

"And while it doesn’t ‘vindicate’ any particular finding, nor leave the Patriots free from suspicion..."

Look, I know it sucks that your team was caught cheating. It should suck even more that they were cheating when they really didn't have to (seriously, if you don't think you can win a division with the Jets, Bills and Dolphins in it without loading the dice...). But the fumble numbers are damning, and it is unseemly to go full Baghdad Bob trying to spin them away. The Pats put the ball on the ground nearly twice as often on a per-play basis before the rule change that allowed them to bring their own (illegally underinflated) balls. Pats RBs had significantly lower fumble rates with the Pats than when they were with other teams. And the Pats are an outdoor, cold-weather team.

But now to address the link you just provided seriously. He tries to explain away the Pat's outlier fumble results by subtracting out various play types, like QBs taking a knee or having a lead, etc. But what he doesn't do is look at the difference between pre- and post-2007. He only looks at 2007 on. That is the year that the rule change happened, the first year the Pats could have started cheating this way, and the year that their fumble numbers took a nose dive.

But the play-selection numbers he tries to spin it away with almost certainly apply equally to the pre-2007 years as well. The Pats were playing with the lead then too, taking QB kneeldowns, etc. I'm not going to do the investigation, but just based on winning pct, I think it's probably safe to say the play selection pre and post 2007 is within the same ballpark.

Which still leaves us with the magical decrease in fumbles after the rule change.

Just for the Patriots.


Blogger bob k. mando May 13, 2015 8:17 AM  

Jack Amok May 12, 2015 11:03 PM
Look, I know it sucks that your team was caught cheating.



IF the Patriots are submitting balls to the refs pregame that show 13psi which
THEN lose pressure during the game

you haven't shown the Patriots to be 'cheating' unless they actually jammed needle into the ball and let the air out themselves.

or does the rule book require that the ball finish the game at the same pressure that it started?

because if it does, the question then becomes;
why isn't there a testing procedure in place to measure ball pressures at halftime and end-of-game?

Blogger Guitar Man May 13, 2015 8:22 AM  

Jack, you wanted some links addressing fumble gate. I gave them to you. After all, it was one website that started fumbleghazi.

Blogger Guitar Man May 13, 2015 8:23 AM  

Bob, the refs aren't even sure what gauges they used to measure the air pressure, but Wells decided for them.

Anonymous LegallySpeaking May 13, 2015 8:05 PM  

lol. the equivalent of suspending George Brett for 40 games AND taking away Royals draft picks for a rumor that there too much pine tar on Brett's bat during the first half of one game the season before. truly, laughably farcical.

Anonymous LegallySpeaking May 13, 2015 8:07 PM  

It's too bad Brady didn't kill a ref instead of deflating the balls. He wouldn't have gotten suspended, and would have a nice career on NFL network set up for him. lol.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts