ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2016 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

The trademark family incompetence

There are two ways to look at this column by the entire NYT editorial board. Either the New York Times really fears the Democratic Party candidate running against Jeb Bush, or he was simply so horrendous at his staged appearance at a Mexican restaurant that they actually had to address the facts for once:
Jeb Bush went to the border town of McAllen, Tex., on Monday to raise money and to talk about immigration, in English and fluent Spanish. Because the Republican presidential campaign has been so fixated on border security and the immigrant peril — thank you, Donald Trump — it was a chance to see how the supposed expert on this fraught subject handled it.

Short version: He was awful.

In less than 15 minutes, Mr. Bush managed to step on his message, to give Mr. Trump a boost and to offend Asian-Americans, a growing population that is every bit as important as Latinos in winning presidential elections. And he failed to give Latino voters any persuasive evidence that he had anything better to offer them than his opponents in a revoltingly xenophobic Republican campaign.

It may be time to offer this forlorn candidate some free advice. Although if he really is the smarter Bush, he knows these things already:

1. He should never let himself say the words “anchor babies” ever again. He got in trouble for using that derogatory reference to the children of unauthorized immigrants in passing, in an interview, then dug himself a hole by defending his use of it. On Monday, he dug deeper. He tried to explain that he had been talking about “Asian people” who arrive on tourist visas through organized schemes to give birth to American babies on American soil.

Though the phenomenon is real, Mr. Bush was blasted by Asian-American groups for repeating the slur. And, astoundingly, he handed Mr. Trump the opportunity to send out tweets like this: “In a clumsy move to get out of his ‘anchor babies’ dilemma, where he signed that he would not use the term and now uses it, he blamed ASIANS.”
Speaking as a great-grandson of a Mexican revolutionary, Jeb Bush's positions on immigration aren't merely wrong, they are obscenely stupid. Trump is going to crucify him on this issue; the imbalance here could actually win Trump the nomination despite all of Bush's structural advantages.

Labels: ,

128 Comments:

Anonymous Soga August 26, 2015 9:02 AM  

And keep in mind the American definition of "Asian" is Eastern Asian, not Indians or Pacific-Islanders.

So Bush can't even weasel his way out of that one like an European might be able to. In America, Eastern Asians are, next to whites, generally held with high regard. So Bush got caught insulting immigrants that Americans actually tend to like.

OpenID jakoye August 26, 2015 9:14 AM  

Trump is not winning the nomination. I suppose it's fun to speculate about, but his ceiling of support (about 25%) has already been reached. He won't go beyond that. The only reason he's leading is because the anointed front-runner has so spectacularly fallen on his face (Bush). Once the moderate wing of the party (who actually ARE the majority of the party, despite the loud voices of the rightists) settles on a Trump-alternative (my money is on Rubio), this dalliance with Trump will be nothing more than a wet burp in sea of noise.

Blogger Sherwood family August 26, 2015 9:15 AM  

Enough of the Bush clan! Bush Sr. and W. were sufficient to make me wish a pox upon their house. We've no need for any more political dynasties in the United States. The Kennedy legacy is a cautionary tale for America about letting some wealthy family play at being aristocracy. I have many reasons not to think much of Donald Trump. However...if...and it is a very large and provisional "if"...he sticks to what he has said on immigration reform and has the wherewithal to bring it about he will go down in my book as one of the greatest U.S. politicians of the last 100 years. Time will tell.

Anonymous basementhomebrewer August 26, 2015 9:17 AM  

Trumps speech last night after the press conference was a little discouraging though. He is now talking about a "Beautiful Golden door in the wall" to let lots of "really good people" into the country. He then went on to talk about how Silicon Valley needs these immigrants.

Anonymous Cash August 26, 2015 9:20 AM  

And on the other side we have Trump taking down Ramos. It was absolute gold.

Anonymous A Visitor August 26, 2015 9:23 AM  

"And keep in mind the American definition of "Asian" is Eastern Asian, not Indians or Pacific-Islanders."

That's why the term Oriental needs to be brought back. You can call an Egyptian an African-American but most will think of blacks. You can call an Indian or Russian Asian but most will think of Chinese, Japanese, etc.

@Sherwood Family Thank you! No more dynasties indeed!

"However...if...and it is a very large and provisional "if"...he sticks to what he has said on immigration reform and has the wherewithal to bring it about he will go down in my book as one of the greatest U.S. politicians of the last 100 years. Time will tell."

If I may ask, I'm assuming that position is not very popular in the State Department, much less the Consular Section? I was always curious what LES thought of those fellow citizens of theirs that had to be given exceptions by DHS for entering the U.S. illegally?

On a pure linguistic note, Jeb's Spanish was fine but he didn't have an accent in Spanish (unless you count his American accent). It was a let down, to be frank.

Blogger Tiny Tim August 26, 2015 9:24 AM  

Jakoye: "Trump is not winning the nomination. I suppose it's fun to speculate about, but his ceiling of support (about 25%) has already been reached. He won't go beyond that. The only reason he's leading is because the anointed front-runner has so spectacularly fallen on his face (Bush). Once the moderate wing of the party (who actually ARE the majority of the party, despite the loud voices of the rightists) settles on a Trump-alternative (my money is on Rubio), this dalliance with Trump will be nothing more than a wet burp in sea of noise."

You are wrong and don't know what you are talking about.

Trump will only grow, and grow.

He will go to the black events and explain how their is no hope if we legalize 40 million people. Not saying he will get the majority of their vote but he will appeal to these people.Many will hear the truth in Mr. Trump.

Same with Americans of Hispanic heritage. In South Texas the last Hispanic I asked said he likes what he is hearing and said "I'm checking him out".

The sissy culture of America is rotted on the vine and about to fall to the jungle floor to be eaten by maggots.

Blogger Tiny Tim August 26, 2015 9:26 AM  

This Ramos beat down.

The leviathan picked up the Lilliputian and smashed him on the rocks.

Anonymous Randomatos August 26, 2015 9:30 AM  

If the repub leadership is stupid enough to give the nom to Bush, they deserve the loss. Granted, the whole political theater is essentially pointless at this stage in the decline (no-one, not even Trump with Washington's summoned shade as VP, is going to cut enough fat to do anything about the debt spiral), but it is depressing to see just how dumb the average voting chump is believed to be. We truly live in the Idiocracy.

Blogger Bodichi (0031) August 26, 2015 9:30 AM  

@Jakoye:

"Trump is not winning the nomination. I suppose it's fun to speculate about, but his ceiling of support (about 25%) has already been reached. He won't go beyond that. "

Your smug condescension is hilarious. What else can you tell us about the future?

Blogger Marissa August 26, 2015 9:32 AM  

in English and fluent Spanish

LOL, implying his English isn't fluent. I saw a headline on Sailer that Bush was better at speaking Spanish than English, probably because that's what he's spoken at home to his non-English-speaking wife for the last 30-something years.

Blogger JaimeInTexas August 26, 2015 9:32 AM  

In other news. For us in Houston, the name Dr. Red Duke is well known. He died yesterday. He was quite a character.
https://www.uth.edu/drredduke/

Anonymous PhillipGeorge©2015 August 26, 2015 9:36 AM  

xenophobia and homophobia both hinge on the phobia bit. The slur should, indeed, can be, rendered as useless as racist when no such thing as race exists.
It isn't a fear of man; it is a judgement of them, on them. People who self identify as different can be judged on the bases on which they do.

If your history and preferences make you a different type of human then you better apply for normality; and give good reasons to get it. It doesn't work to say "l'm different" and demand everyone treat you as the same as them.

I am normal means I am identical to everyone else. No minority can demand admission to normality, anymore than a Buddhist can claim to be Christian. Normality condemns you as a sinner and admits you to the only brotherhood of man that exists.
The Gospel isn't only logical it is the only logic that exists. While this flies over everyone's head gravity is keeping your body attached attracted to this earth whether your're aware of it or not, and you obey it like the syntax that admits these words to your mind. cheers.
a diversion on identity politics.
America flies without Jesus like a dragon fly without wings.

Blogger Bodichi (0031) August 26, 2015 9:38 AM  

@Jakoye:

What is the DOW going to close at today? What kind of a correction are we in for by weekend? How about the end of September? Inquiring minds want to know.

Anonymous Oliver Cromwell August 26, 2015 9:39 AM  

Recently I was sat at a table with a bunch of SWPLs and a chinese-chinese girl. The girl started talking about how lots of people in China went to the US to have kids so they could get cheap tuition and easier entry to US education. The Chinese girl thought this was hilarious. The SWPLs just looked stunned. You could tell they were really struggling not to call her a racist of something.

Anonymous rienzi August 26, 2015 9:49 AM  

2. Jakoye: "Trump is not winning the nomination. I suppose it's fun to speculate about, but his ceiling of support (about 25%) has already been reached. He won't go beyond that."


Isn't The Donald already up to 30%? That "ceiling on his support" seems to have a way of continually rising. Time to move your goalposts.

Anonymous Gx August 26, 2015 9:53 AM  

From following this campaign, I've seen some stuff:

* Man, Dems are clueless on how much the Repubs hate Jeb. I mean, they really hate him. A lot. And they hate their party leadership for saying "here's ¡Jeb!". The anti-Jeb backlash that Trump rode at the beggining wouldn't have been so strong if the party leadership had put Walker or Cruz.

* The "mainstream" Dems are sticking to the narrative that Sanders won't get the nomination because nothing that he can do can beat the pitch of "First Woman President Hillary Clinton!".

* Which goes to: The two political currents that are going to define politics on the US are Progressive Identity Politics and the Alternative Right. Since both are opposite of each other and the former demands complete domination, once the parties mold to them (and they will, we are watching them do so, even if it's the hard way in the GOP's case), the resulting clash is going to get ugly(er).

On Trump getting the nod or not, he said "I'm sinking the boat if you morons cram Jeb anyways" and he put on his payroll a lawfirm that has close ties to the RNC. So he holds leverage so far.

Blogger Jourdan August 26, 2015 9:54 AM  

What, exactly, is the Times and the professional Asian lobby's position on this issue: that organized Asian criminal gangs have NOT been captured and convicted of bringing in women specifically so they can give birth here?

As with the Soviet Union, any ideology that requires people to deny facts that exist and are known for purely political reasons cannot endure.

OpenID jakoye August 26, 2015 9:58 AM  

Sherwood family: I completely agree. No more family political dynasties! It's just feels very un-American.

Tiny Tim: If you really think that Trump would be able to garner more than the traditional 10% of the black vote that a Republican presidential candidate gets, then it is *you* who are the know-nothing. Blacks are wedded to the Democratic party at the hip and the teat. It will take a much greater man than the ridiculous ego-bomb Trump to rip that bond asunder.

Also, there is a difference between there and their! Pet peeve of mine, chap!

Bodichi: I suppose one could look on my prediction as condescencion. Especially for a Trump supporter. But there it is none the less. Whether or not you would trust my predictive powers would depend on your past experience with my predictions. Since you don't know me, you have no reference for trusting my predictions, so yes, be skeptical! But do give me credit if we meet again in a year's time and I was proven correct.

As for my other predictions, I predict that in some places it will be hot and other places it will be cold. I predict that the sun will rise in the East tomorrow and set in the West (damn Hume!). I predict that the stock market will go up and go down, though not necessarily in that order.

I also predict that the Hugos next year will be a bloodbath and I fully intend to be one of the bloodletters.

Blogger Cail Corishev August 26, 2015 10:02 AM  

Jakoye: "Trump's ceiling of support (about 25%) has already been reached.

What would you have said his "ceiling" was six months ago?

Blogger Tiny Tim August 26, 2015 10:04 AM  

"Trump isn't serious. Trump won't announce. Trump won't file the paperwork. Trump is a joke. Trump will not get any support. Trump needs to drop out. Trump won't get the support of women. Trump won't get the support of minorities. Trumps only support is toothless white trash. Trump is finished, finished, finished, finished..."

The power structure is terrified of this man.

OpenID jakoye August 26, 2015 10:06 AM  

reinzi: True, there are some individual state polls that put him above 25%. For example, Trump is at 35% in the latest New Hampshire poll (though one should note that means 65% *don't* support him). I was speaking more of his national level of support, but your point is well-taken.

There are no moving of the goalposts required on Trump's prospects for winning the nomination. He either will or he won't. I don't believe he will. You may have the opposite opinion. We'll find out soon enough.

Blogger Bodichi (0031) August 26, 2015 10:07 AM  

@jakoye #19

According to this pole taken yesterday Trump has already beaten 25%

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/nh/new_hampshire_republican_presidential_primary-3350.html

Blogger Tiny Tim August 26, 2015 10:09 AM  

It is no more complicated than this. Trump must save America to save Trump.

He is in the service industry serving mostly Americans and American Corporations as best I can tell. If they all go belly up he sees his revenue crash and is marginalized and he leaves nothing grand for his children, who he loves dearly.

It also helps that he loves America.

His Son's kill animals. This guy is no liberal. The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree.

Bush has been finished since the first debate. He just doesn't know it yet.

Blogger James Dixon August 26, 2015 10:11 AM  

> . I suppose it's fun to speculate about, but his ceiling of support (about 25%) has already been reached. He won't go beyond that.

He already has.

OpenID jakoye August 26, 2015 10:13 AM  

Cail Corishev: Six months ago, I would have probably have said his ceiling is 10%. And I would have been dead wrong.

Be that as it may, you simply don't have the negative favorability rating that Trump has and realistically have any chance of winning the nomination. There are simply too many Republican voters who have zero intention to vote for Trump and will vote for anyone BUT Trump.

Once the field is winnowed down, we will see the alt-Trump candidate taking primary after primary. Just my two cents. Take it or leave it, but remember to check back in on here once the nominee is decided. Then we can award trophies (but only for the winners, natch. No participation trophies!).

Blogger Marissa August 26, 2015 10:15 AM  

For example, Trump is at 35% in the latest New Hampshire poll (though one should note that means 65% *don't* support him).

An even higher percentage don't support any of the other candidates (something like 85-90% in the case of the Cruzes and Rubios in the race.

Anonymous Gx August 26, 2015 10:16 AM  

@jakoye

The one moving goalposts here is you, by saying that the New Hampshire poll "doesn't count".

Blogger Dexter August 26, 2015 10:17 AM  

If the repub leadership is stupid enough to give the nom to Bush, they deserve the loss.

Not stupid, but evil. They are de facto allies of the Democrats. If they give the nomination to Bush it will be because they have deliberately chosen to lose, just like they did in 1996, 2008, and 2012.

Blogger Joshua Dyal August 26, 2015 10:20 AM  

Trump is not winning the nomination. I suppose it's fun to speculate about, but his ceiling of support (about 25%) has already been reached. He won't go beyond that.

I can't remember anyone ever having a higher ceiling this early in the process with that many rivals to split it with. This "analysis" is laughably stupid.

Plus: http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/08/25/donald-trump-reacts-his-poll-numbers-event-dubuque-iowa

Anonymous Satan's Hamster August 26, 2015 10:23 AM  

Yes. The Republicans don't want to win, as proven by their recent nominations. So long as Hillary is in the White House, they'll be able to use her as a threat to keep their seats in Congress, where they can be fat and happy donothings. A Republican Congress and President would be a nightmare for them, as they might have to do something, and that might cause SJW feelbad and some nasty newspaper headlines.

Trump offers a real prospect of winning, so he must be stopped.

Blogger James Dixon August 26, 2015 10:25 AM  

> Be that as it may, you simply don't have the negative favorability rating that Trump has and realistically have any chance of winning the nomination.

Then why is Hillary still the odds on favorite for the Democratic nomination? Nobody likes her.

> There are simply too many Republican voters who have zero intention to vote for Trump and will vote for anyone BUT Trump.

I think you should replace Trump with Bush in that sentence is you want it to be truthful.

Blogger Dexter August 26, 2015 10:26 AM  

"On Monday, he attacked the Trump immigration plan, which centers on building a Great Wall of Mexico and forcing millions of people to the other side of it. “It would cost hundreds of billions of dollars,” Mr. Bush said, as well as “violate people’s civil liberties” and “create friction with our third-largest trading partner.” That is a fair reading of what Mr. Trump wants. But to win the nomination, Mr. Bush has to win over a fair chunk of the aggrieved, frightened Trump voters, who probably don’t care about trade friction with rapist-killer-exporting countries, or the cost of a border wall."

Fuckin' a WE DON'T CARE!

OpenID jakoye August 26, 2015 10:26 AM  

Marissa: True. I do think that Trump is the #1 choice of a lot of voters, but he's not the #2 or #3 choice of many voters. Thus his support is firm, yet not capable of greatly expanding. If Trump continues to hold onto these numbers, and especially if he actually wins a primary, I expect the Establishment will start chopping off heads and whittle down the field to one agreed-upon anti-Trump candidate.

Gx: That's fine if you want to think of it that way. Feel free! I certainly did not say that the New Hampshire polls do not count. They certainly do. I was speaking of national polls, but I conceded the point to reinzi.

Let's just say I'm much more confident in my prediction that Trump won't win the nomination than I am in predicting what a particular candidates level of support might be at any one time. Your mileage may vary.

Blogger James Dixon August 26, 2015 10:30 AM  

> Let's just say I'm much more confident in my prediction that Trump won't win the nomination

Let me ask a question. Can anyone remember anytime in past 40 years where a republican candidate took this much of an early lead and didn't become the candidate? We've seen it with Hillary and Obama, but I can't think of one on the republican side.

Blogger Tiny Tim August 26, 2015 10:31 AM  

First Act... treat him as if he doesn't really exist.

Second Act... ridicule and marginalize him in an attempt to get the sheep to groundswell against.

Third Act... cut a deal with him and join the winning team.

The Second Act is winding down.

Blogger Jourdan August 26, 2015 10:33 AM  

Let's see.

Other Republicans: Submit to questioning my Mexican citizen Jorge Ramos regarding their stance on issues and fitness for the U.S. presidency.

Trump: Tosses Mexican citizen Jorge Ramos out of his press conference.

OpenID jakoye August 26, 2015 10:35 AM  

Joshua: Feel free to give your analysis then. We can circle back when the nomination is decided and see who really is wearing the "I'm with stupid" t-shirt!

James: I think Hildebeast is still projected to win simply because she has so much cash in the bank, as well as because she has been the presumptive nominee for so long that it's very hard for people to change their thinking on that.

What I can say is that Sanders has a very strong surge and he should not be discounted from giving Hillary a real run for her money. Biden may also step in and don the "anyone but Hillary" role. Safe to say, Hillary's chances really ride on whether she's actually convicted of exposing classified information. If that happens, all bets are off.

Since I'm a Republican, I care less about the Democratic nomination process though. I agree with you that Bush looks like a drowned duck. He already had headwinds against him because of the Bush name, but it's his performance on the campaign trail that has really dunked his candidacy. He may yet still recover (remember how Clinton came back off the canvas in '92), but I personally don't see it. I think the party will decide on someone more palatable to conservatives and without Jed's large negatives within the party.

Blogger Student in Blue August 26, 2015 10:39 AM  

@Tiny Tim
...no.

Think about it. They're knee-jerking hard and emotionally reacting to "badthink". They're not going to peacefully and logically cut a deal when they see they can no longer win - they'll attempt to burn it down.

Anonymous Karl Rove August 26, 2015 10:39 AM  

Now look here, you young people, ¡Jeb! is the man for the nomination. His very competent campaign staff has put out a fine poster showing just how ready ¡Jeb! is to run.

He's tanned, rested and ready. His left arm is especially tanned and ready. So you people get in line and support ¡Jeb!, the obviously fully integrated candidate.

Anonymous Difster VFM #109 August 26, 2015 10:42 AM  

I really hope Trump and Sanders win their party nominations. It's not because I want either of them as President, it would just be the most entertaining outcome.

Blogger James Dixon August 26, 2015 10:42 AM  

> I think the party will decide on someone more palatable to conservatives and without Jed's large negatives within the party.

That would mean Cruz, Walker, or Paul. None of the other candidates have any significant appeal to the base . Jindal and Rubio have some regional support, but not (AFAICT) on the national level.

OpenID jakoye August 26, 2015 10:43 AM  

James: Yes, the Republican nomination process has usually been less wide-open than that of the Democrats. However, just off the top of my head, I remember the first Bush was well ahead of Reagan until that "I paid for this microphone" comment Reagan made at a New Hampshire debate. That was the catalyst for Reagan to overcome Bush and eventually win the nomination.

More recently, Santorum won Iowa, though I would guess his national numbers never approached Trump's level.

There is no doubt that Trump is a straight-up phenomena. He's speaking for many people who feel that their voices are not being heard. He's tapping into a deep undercurrent of worry that this country is headed down the wrong track. I don't begrudge his supporters concerns. I just think they've chosen the wrong horse. Trump is many things and he's very good at a few things (such as self-promotion, commanding a room, and bankruptcies). Being President is not one of those things he'd be good at, I believe.

Anonymous Roundtine August 26, 2015 10:44 AM  

Ilk is +1 as of Tuesday, baby girl.

OpenID jakoye August 26, 2015 10:48 AM  

James: I think the alt-Trumps are Cruz, Walker, Kasich (taking Bush's place), and Rubio. Rubio has more national support than you might think and, from what I have read at least, is the #2 and #3 choice for many. I don't think Fiorina, Jindal, or Paul are serious threats to win the nomination.

Blogger Bodichi (0031) August 26, 2015 10:49 AM  

@Jakoye

"Rubio has more national support than you might think and, from what I have read at least, is the #2 and #3 choice for many."

He is the "I'm not racist, I love illegal immigrants" choice.

He is the #1 choice of cuckservatives

Anonymous JR August 26, 2015 10:51 AM  

Every Democrat in America is hoping Trump gets the nomination because the want to keep the White House. How many times can a candidate stand up and say, "I'll hire experts" before it's clear he is an empty hair piece?

Anonymous Satan's Hamster August 26, 2015 10:52 AM  

"Trump is many things and he's very good at a few things (such as self-promotion, commanding a room, and bankruptcies). Being President is not one of those things he'd be good at, I believe."

Can you name a single current candidate who'd be a good President?

Trump would probably be a lousy President. But so would all the others. At least Trump says the right things, even if he turns out to be another Republican loser.

His experience with bankruptcies could come in very handy as the US economy collapses. And he'd definitely be a heck of a lot more entertaining than Bush. Having something to laugh about is important when an Empire is in steep decline.

Blogger James Dixon August 26, 2015 10:52 AM  

> I remember the first Bush was well ahead of Reagan until that "I paid for this microphone" comment Reagan made at a New Hampshire debate. That was the catalyst for Reagan to overcome Bush and eventually win the nomination.

I don't remember Bush being this far ahead of Reagan. His breaking his "read my lips" pledge had already turned the base against him. I could be wrong though.

> More recently, Santorum won Iowa, though I would guess his national numbers never approached Trump's level.

Yeah, I'm thing the national polls, not the state ones. I apologize for not being more specific.

> Being President is not one of those things he'd be good at, I believe.

Who knows? Many people thought Reagan would be a poor president. He's been picking good advisors for his campaign though, so that's a good sign. The question is whether he can work with Congress or not.

Blogger Miguel D'Anconia August 26, 2015 10:53 AM  

Jeb Bush is a moron. If the repubelican party is dumb enough to think they can win with that moron (a distinct possibility given their choice of McStain and Romney in the past 2 contests) they deserve to be buried.

Blogger CM August 26, 2015 10:54 AM  

While our son was in the NICU, I heard some very fascinating stories about pregnant women coming stateside to Disney World and going into premature labor. It was so common, it was nearly predictable. Aside from teen preemies, the majority of NICU admissions were from foreign women visiting Disney World.

I don't know why I didn't make the connection at the time... probably because I couldn't imagine a mother putting her baby's life at risk and going 3 months without seeing their new baby...

Blogger Sad Puppy August 26, 2015 10:54 AM  

@11

It's funny you mention that. I used to have a very hard time listening to GWB speak. I would read transcripts of the speech, because it drove me bonkers listening to his voice.

No where near as bonkers as Obama's, but still.

Blogger James Dixon August 26, 2015 10:55 AM  

> How many times can a candidate stand up and say, "I'll hire experts" before it's clear he is an empty hair piece?

As many as he wants. Seriously, everyone knows the job is too big for one person to handle everything.

Blogger Sad Puppy August 26, 2015 10:57 AM  

@13

They always use the term Xenophobic when trying to bash a native population. It should definitely be included in the group of meaningless slurs such as racist, homophobic, islamophobic, etc.

Blogger Tiny Tim August 26, 2015 10:57 AM  

Cruz is jockeying for two things:

1. To be on the Trump ticket.

2. To slide in to the Trump spot if Trump goes too far and is pilloried.

Bush is scared to death he will get on Trump's radar and will be humiliated publically, or called out and humiliated in the next debate. Bush is done, done, done... there are only so many old people with Alzheimer's who will actually be voting.

Now little Rand Paul, he is in a mess. He throws a haymaker at Trump in the first debate meant to mortally wound Trump and Trump went on to make him look like a petulant child.

How will Rand pivot?

Blogger Dexter August 26, 2015 10:58 AM  

@49,

I don't remember Bush being this far ahead of Reagan. His breaking his "read my lips" pledge had already turned the base against him. I could be wrong though.

Uh dude the "I paid for this microphone" was the 1980 campaign, and "read my lips" was the 1988 campaign.

Anonymous Tim the enchanter August 26, 2015 11:00 AM  

Not beat a dead weak horse, but Ramos was deported from Trumps press conference for jumping the line. Metaphore much?

Blogger Dexter August 26, 2015 11:00 AM  

Every Democrat in America is hoping Trump gets the nomination because the want to keep the White House.

That's why they're all bashing Jeb and promoting Trump, right? Because they want to see an obvious loser nominated?

Oh wait they (including, of all things, the NYT) is busy vomiting on Trump and giving Jeb helpful advice, because for some incomprehensible reason they want the stronger GOP candidate nominated.

Blogger Dexter August 26, 2015 11:00 AM  

are busy, sheesh.

Blogger jean in virginia August 26, 2015 11:01 AM  

@44, Congratulations!

Blogger James Dixon August 26, 2015 11:01 AM  

Duh, you're correct, Dexter. It's been a long time and my memory isn't what it should be. Read my lips was the Bush vs Clinton years.

But I still don't remember Bush being that far ahead of Reagan in the primaries. I was starting my working career then and had a lot on my mind though, so it's possible.

Blogger IM2L844 August 26, 2015 11:03 AM  

Trump: Tosses Mexican citizen Jorge Ramos out of his press conference.

He deported Ramos for unfairly trying to jump to the front of the line ahead of all the other reporters who were following proper procedures then allowed him to come back when the proper procedures were followed. Trump, when asked, would have been wise to point out the analog.

Blogger Jourdan August 26, 2015 11:05 AM  

@57 Tim the enchanter - LOL, did not know that. Precious.

I met Ramos at a party one time and got him to admit that what he does for a living--a Mexican questioning American politicians--is illegal in the reverse, per the Mexican constitution. In fact, he even readily admitted that no Mexican would stand for it. "But the U.S. is different..." as I've heard from every Mexican making excuses.

Anonymous JCB August 26, 2015 11:05 AM  

If Trump can get 40% of the popular vote, he doesn't need the Repugs. He can win as a 3rd party candidate. No, he won't get a majority of the black vote. But his message might be sufficient to get 15% or so, which could push him over in key states like OH. Even if he ultimately loses, if his candidacy finishes off the GOP, that's a funeral worth having.

Blogger Jourdan August 26, 2015 11:07 AM  

btw. people who don't know Spanish just don't know how intensely political their news and media world is. It isn't all Sabado Gigante. It's constant La Raza politicking, at a very high level. The contrast between "white" news and Univision is very, very striking.

Anyone with 24 hours of exposure with understanding would know that the "natural Republican base" argument is not only ridiculous, it's outlandish. Every political question begins with the assumption that it's the Government's problem and that Government must do something about it.

Blogger Bodichi (0031) August 26, 2015 11:11 AM  

@65. Jourdan

You are 100% correct. Working around people who pay for the univision cable channel and watch it religiously, you can usually spot the quite blatant dislike for "gringos".

Talk about this and all of the CUCKSERVATIVES will scream racist as loud as they can. They will puncture their own lungs yelling that they are not like that.

Anonymous ZhukovG August 26, 2015 11:12 AM  

Just my take:

Republicans: I will not under any circumstances vote for Donald Trump. However, at the moment the nomination is Trump’s to win or lose. He comes across as a Nationalist Populist Alpha Male Bad Boy. He is attractive, as a candidate, to both men and women (though women may publicly deny it). He appeals to White Working Class folks from both parties. He seems like a cross between Teddy Roosevelt (business conquests rather than military record) and Vladimir Putin. If the GOP has an alternative to him, that person is not currently in the race.

The other Republicans, are a bunch of betas, who look like losers rather than winners.

Democrats: Hillary will win the nomination if she can avoid the Big House, over the e-mail scandal. Right now it looks like two factions, Obama and Clinton, are fighting each other. Obama is keeping the investigation into Hillary’s misdeeds alive, so he can put Biden in. The Clinton faction is things go south for Hillary, may have to polish off Al Gore for another run.

The Democratic establishment is absolutely opposed to Sander. Sanders votes have been too pro Second Amendment and he hates big Banks. Any MSM coverage of Sanders, however seemingly positive, never fails to point out what an unreconstructed Bolshevik he is.

Blogger CM August 26, 2015 11:13 AM  

Thank you, Jean :)

Blogger Alexander August 26, 2015 11:14 AM  

If Trump can hit 35% today in New Hampshire, a state relatively lacking in immigration concerns and the 'wrong kind of white people' that supposedly are the only people who support Trump...

Then he is currently on pace to crucify every Republican in the field on Super Tuesday.

Anonymous JCB August 26, 2015 11:15 AM  

@47

"Every Democrat in America is hoping Trump gets the nomination because the want to keep the White House."

You could not be more off base. Go visit some message boards frequented by Dems/SJW's. There will be multiple threads about Trump, full of ridicule, charges of racism, he can't win, the usual shit. Why waste so much time on someone who has no chance? I don't give Bernie Sanders a second thought because I know he doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell.

Trump scares the shit out of SJW's and cuckservatives alike, because win or lose, he's changing the narrative. He's talking about things that actually matter, not the agreed upon topics of the ruling duopoly.

Blogger Vogon X August 26, 2015 11:17 AM  

"Though the phenomenon is real, Mr. Bush was blasted by Asian-American groups for repeating the slur."

Don't use clear language when telling the truth! Clear language is racist!

Anonymous A Paradigm Is More Than Twenty Cents August 26, 2015 11:17 AM  

Talk about this and all of the CUCKSERVATIVES will scream racist as loud as they can. They will puncture their own lungs yelling that they are not like that.

¡Jeb! of course would be the first in line to bellow about ¡cuckservative!, right?

Blogger Robert What? August 26, 2015 11:18 AM  

I believe that Trump had no intentions of going all the way and had planned to drop out after making some noise. However I think he was completely surprised by the support and has no choice but to forge ahead, or lose all credibility.

Blogger Tiny Tim August 26, 2015 11:21 AM  

Hillary is done.

The only thing going on with her right now is the deal she is cutting to bow out with the Clinton Foundation left intact so she and horn dog can keep up their lifestyle charade.

Biden is Obama's Medvedev. The problem with Biden is can he appear cognizant for the next year and a half to pull it off?

Blogger B.J. August 26, 2015 11:25 AM  

So we're using newspeak "Unauthorized Immigrant" instead of illegal alien now?

Anonymous Ron August 26, 2015 11:29 AM  

Awe, come on Ilk. Go easy on jakoye. He's only here to give us the official party line and see who will line up behind it. Hell, and probably collect names of the dissenters.

Like we didn't already know El Jefe ¡Jeb! was the anointed chosen to fall while tilting at the windmill of Hillary.

Christ in an enchilada gets steamrolled and eaten by the Lizard Queen. Okay given her proclivities maybe that should be Christ in a taco.

Blogger Sad Puppy August 26, 2015 11:44 AM  

@57

Yes! And see how quickly he snuck back across the border?

Blogger Sad Puppy August 26, 2015 11:50 AM  

Watching the video, it's humorous how Trump handles Ramos. If Trump is going to be whipping on these obnoxious reporters for the next few months, i'll be a slightly happy Sad Puppy.

Anonymous WillBest August 26, 2015 11:59 AM  

You know the word "anchor baby" is dangerous when the left which didn't really consider it an issue 3 months ago is now at defcon 1 to get rid of it.

Recently I was sat at a table with a bunch of SWPLs and a chinese-chinese girl. The girl started talking about how lots of people in China went to the US to have kids so they could get cheap tuition and easier entry to US education. The Chinese girl thought this was hilarious.

This has been going on for decades. It used to be that the blue passport is just something rich Chinese buy for their kids the way normal moms buy a Tonka truck. Just something nice to have, not really a means of escaping Asia so much as providing options. Of course, now that services have made it more affordable to the masses its not just the really rich doing it.

Anonymous Build The Wall August 26, 2015 12:07 PM  

You know the word "anchor baby" is dangerous when the left which didn't really consider it an issue 3 months ago is now at defcon 1 to get rid of it.

No problema, switch to the term anvil babies

Blogger Marissa August 26, 2015 1:21 PM  

People who don't know Spanish just don't know how intensely political their news and media world is. It isn't all Sabado Gigante. It's constant La Raza politicking, at a very high level. The contrast between "white" news and Univision is very, very striking.

Who is included in "La Raza"? I would think Mexican journalism would be run by the higher castes, why would they try to appeal to the Indian dwarf types? (Purely a question, not a challenge. I don't speak Spanish.)

Anonymous BigGaySteve August 26, 2015 1:26 PM  

Even Jebs mommy said she didn't want him as president
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-buzz-florida-politics/jebs-mom-let-someone-else-run-for-president/2161391

Trump is not winning the nomination

Unless they kill Trump, their plan to give Jeb the nomination with 20% support will fail. Jeb's mommy doesn't even want him as president. Luckily trump is giving copter rides to kids to prevent Clinton inc from sabotaging his copter.

what he's spoken at home to his non-English-speaking wife for the last 30

That's not actually a woman here is a picture of them from their wedding.
http://j9stuff.blogspot.com/2011/08/welcome-to-fantasy-island.html

That "ceiling on his support" seems to have a way of continually rising.

He is breaking glass ceilings like Jenner does car sunroofs since he transitioned to being a woman driver.

10% of the black vote that a Republican presidential candidate gets, then it is *you*

I am a realist about blacks but I think he can pull 15-20% of blacks with a combination of pointing out leftists giving mestizos more power than blacks, and mestizo attacks killing blacks. He has had blacks on stage talk about how their "good" family members got killed by illegals, he might get some former Compton mom's (not Just Jeb's mommy from when Compton was white) talking about illegal alien gang members killing their family(gang bangers).

Blogger Cail Corishev August 26, 2015 1:37 PM  

I do think that Trump is the #1 choice of a lot of voters, but he's not the #2 or #3 choice of many voters. Thus his support is firm, yet not capable of greatly expanding.

We have people right here on this blog whose opinions of Trump have shifted in the past few weeks, and we're about as cynical as you'll find. (I won't insult anyone by suggesting that any of us "supports" any candidate. I still plan to be busy washing my hair on election day.) The great mass of people you're talking about who think they would never vote for him are basing that on the "rich guy with bad hair and ugly divorces" caricature that they've gotten from the media over the years. That gives him a lot of potential upside with them if they hear him talk and are pleasantly surprised.

The common mistake you're making is applying normal political terms like "ceiling" to Trump, when he's not a normal politician. Normal politicians do have a fairly firm ceiling because by the time they reach the national stage they have a well-defined platform and a voting record. They're not going to surprise you -- except in bad ways with scandals or broken promises.

Trump has room to surprise people. ¡Jeb! can't suddenly come out for an immigration moratorium. Even if he claimed to have had some sort of overnight conversion -- even if it were true -- no one would believe him, because he has a long record. We know he vacations with Latin American oligarchs and thinks North America would be better off without any borders. His father and brother both pushed globalism and free trade. He can't claim to have been ignorant about the issue without looking stupid and corrupt.

Trump, on the other hand, can claim to have been wakened up on the issue by Coulter's book, and take a new stand and sell it to people with the enthusiasm of a new convert. Tomorrow he could come out with a fresh stand on some other issue. It's silly to say you know what his ceiling is, because unlike the others, he's not bound to a particular platform yet.

Anonymous Jess August 26, 2015 1:38 PM  

@44 Roundtine

Congrats!

Blogger Cail Corishev August 26, 2015 1:42 PM  

Since I'm a Republican

That explains your fear of Trump. I actually agree with you that I'd still bet against him getting the nomination. Not because he can't get the support or the votes, but because I expect shenanigans from your amigos in the GOP to get him out of the race somehow. In fact, the more support he gets and the higher his "ceiling" rises, the more likely they are to do something desperate and stupid. Which will be entertaining, so I hope he keeps building support.

Anonymous BGS August 26, 2015 2:09 PM  

Whether or not you would trust my predictive powers would depend on your past experience
Madame Cleo said you couldn't even predict what would happen if 2 middle school age white girls got thrown in a trunk by blacks who drove 100+ miles to a Whitopia.
http://republicanherald.com/news/3-n-y-men-arrested-in-alleged-abduction-in-pottsville-1.1581698

you simply don't have the negative favorability rating that Trump has and realistically have any chance of winning the nomination.

Anyone promising to make America great will be unfavorable with the Nation Destroyers, the elite who destroy economies & buy up hard assets with fiat credit. You are like the gay guys that don't know any STR8 divorced men, thinking gay alimony will be great.

Take it or leave it, but remember to check back in on here once the nominee is decided

The nominees have already been decided months ago, the same big donors gave to both Jeb & HilLIARy because they win either way. The reason there are so many gopEstablisment candidates is to allow Jeb to win the nominee with only 20% of the vote.

first Bush was well ahead of Reagan until that "I paid for this microphone" comment

perhaps the comment that can win for Jeb is "el jefe de avión el avión" Da plane boss da plane, said by his "wife"

Trump is many things and he's very good at a few things... bankruptcies

You are afraid he will do like Iceland & jail the nation destroyers.

expect shenanigans from your amigos in the GOP

Let him offer to hold the convention in on of his casinos for free, with full media access to all the security cameras covering the vote. Casino security cams can read the fine print on Trumps documents from 200' away.

Anonymous A Paradigm Is More Than Twenty Cents August 26, 2015 2:17 PM  


Let him offer to hold the convention in on of his casinos for free, with full media access to all the security cameras covering the vote. Casino security cams can read the fine print on Trumps documents from 200' away.


Bwah-hah-hah! That would totally be entertaining. I'd go out and buy a 50" plasma just to watch in hi-def.

Anonymous A.B. Prosper August 26, 2015 3:11 PM  

jakoye, actually his support may be quite a bit higher.

I can't remember why , bored I guess but I watched a brief bit on Trump on Rachael Maddow's show and she posted 2 polls from Democratic leaning pollsters that show him with vast leads in Iowa and New Hampshire. The next 3 put together had less support than Trump!

Heck its such that Carly Fiorina beat Jeb in the New Hampshire poll

Now polls are dubious at best I know from experience as a pollster but it is interesting none the less.

Anonymous Discard August 26, 2015 3:32 PM  

I learned the term "anchor baby" in a demographics class decades ago. It's not, nor has it ever been a pejorative, it's an academic term. This is purely an attempt to ban the idea by banning the expression.

Die, N.Y. Times, you vermin.

Anonymous patrick kelly August 26, 2015 3:33 PM  

@75 "So we're using newspeak "Unauthorized Immigrant" instead of illegal alien now?"

I prefer migrant invaders.

Blogger Jourdan August 26, 2015 3:53 PM  

@81 Marissa

It's true that in Mexico there is a sharp divide between the "white" elite and the mass of the mestizos, and that Univision as a media outlet straddles that world in a typically Mexican way: by using "white" anchors like Jorge Ramos, for example, who will never be confused for a campesino from Sonora.

But when it comes to American (i.e. United States) matters, they are of the same team, more or less, and Mexicans are very, very passionately nationalistic.

The Latino sees politics and economics as a zero-sum game. If someone is rich, it is because many are poor. If a Mexican advances, the Americans must have lost.

Like many things, it is strictly racial and national in character: what is good for my team, is good.

Unlike white, European-Americans, Latinos have an engaged, racially-aware and nationalistic press. This tells you everything you need to know right there. You're right: they're racially divided themselves, but one thing everyone agrees on is that the U.S. is theirs by right.

We're in a fight for our cultural and civilizational lives, and we show no sign of even knowing it's going on.

Anonymous BGS August 26, 2015 4:18 PM  

Nation Detroyers paying to get 3rd world scum into EU.
"On Thursday last, Nicolas Bonnal, writing for the French website Boulevard Voltaire, reported on an Austrian magazine’s scoop – courtesy of leaks from military intelligence stationed in Vienna – that the U.S. government is paying guides and middlemen who bring migrants to Europe across the Mediterranean Sea. The original Info-Direkt article reported that the guides are well-equipped with technology, and are old hands at working Facebook, Twitter and Skype, as were the agents who instigated the Arab Spring."

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2015/08/anne-williamson/weaponizing-migrants/

Anonymous BGS August 26, 2015 4:45 PM  

OT: We found some politicians that want out borders to matter. Well for people against gay marriage anyway.

"One hundred and twenty-five members of Congress asked Secretary of State John Kerry in a letter Monday to deny visas to diplomats’ spouses if the envoys come from a country that doesn’t recognize same-sex spouses of State Department personnel."

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2015/07/27/lawmakers-to-kerry-yank-visas-for-diplomats-spouses-from-countries-that-dont-allow-gay-state-dept-spouses/

Blogger Lana J August 26, 2015 5:07 PM  

Apparently Trump as a new ceiling.

Blogger SciVo August 26, 2015 5:37 PM  

Sad Puppy @54: "They always use the term Xenophobic when trying to bash a native population. It should definitely be included in the group of meaningless slurs such as racist, homophobic, islamophobic, etc."

I'm not a xenophobe, I'm an oikophile. And they really are oikophobes.

Blogger SciVo August 26, 2015 6:03 PM  

patrick kelly @90: "I prefer migrant invaders."

I use "international trespassers" for occidentals and orientals, and "colonizing invaders" for everyone else.

Blogger Daniel August 26, 2015 6:32 PM  

I'd vote for President Trump, if only to improve the chances of Parker Bros. coming back from the dead to release President Trump: The Game.

Blogger Danby August 26, 2015 6:43 PM  

@44 Roundtine,
Congratulations!

Trump is not winning the nomination. I suppose it's fun to speculate about, but his ceiling of support (about 25%) has already been reached. He won't go beyond that.
Trump was at 32% on Aug 1, and is currently at 40%, most of the increase coming out of Scott Walker's hide.

So in September will you be telling us he has a ceiling at 35% and will be unable to go above that? And in October will the ceiling be 45%, with absolutely zero chance of going beyond that, so obviously he could never be nominated?

35% is plenty to win the nomination. At 40% in a 10-candidate field it's practically guaranteed. Hell, the GOPe had a plan in place to nominate Jeb! with only 22% of the vote.

So spare us your prognostication, you obviously have no idea of what is happening.

Blogger Joshua Sinistar August 26, 2015 6:49 PM  

Trump won't win cause the fix is in. I'm glad he won't. Everyone must see now that my predictions for collapse are coming true. Trump would give some hope to people that this sorry mismanaged mess could somehow continue. It won't.

Blogger Were-Puppy August 26, 2015 8:00 PM  

@82
Trump is not winning the nomination

Unless they kill Trump, their plan to give Jeb the nomination with 20% support will fail. Jeb's mommy doesn't even want him as president. Luckily trump is giving copter rides to kids to prevent Clinton inc from sabotaging his copter.
------------

I have it on good authority that Trump is the Batman.

Blogger Michael Maier August 26, 2015 8:32 PM  

I am still in disbelief that a man in a family of wealth and influence like the Bushes would marry such a fugly troll as Jeb did.

And Shrub married a murderess... are all their wives lined up by Satan or what?

OpenID jakoye August 26, 2015 9:52 PM  

Well alrighty then! Some cogent points by a few posters and then some who obviously needed to get a little anger out. Go ahead. Let it out. Let your hate flow through you! It will only make me stronger!

As for Trump, I really have no use for another egomaniac in the White House. 8 years with one has been enough. It's true that Trump can't be tied down to any particular positions, but that's only because HE HAS NO PRINCIPLES! If you want to tie your cart to that horse, be my guest, but don't get yer panties all tied in a knot because some of us see him for the utter fool that he is.

I could understand if you supported Cruz, who is very conservative, but very principled, or Ben Carson, who has about zero chance of winning, but is obviously a very upstanding citizen who speaks common sense and is wedded to our founding principles as a nation. But Trump? Democrat-donating, Hillary wedding inviting, flip-flopper extraordinaire? It's hard to believe that otherwise smart people are falling for this snake oil salesman. Trump is only interested in Trump. He doesn't care for you and I doubt he cares much for the culture or Western civilization.

Great, he yells at people, is not afraid to insult people, calls people bad names. Yay! It's the Jerry Springer show as a presidential campaign. Grow up. He's a charlatan who, on one hand, bashes companies that move their manufacturing overseas and then on the other hand, has a clothing line where the clothes are MADE IN CHINA!!!

If you just want to burn the Republican party down, then supporting Trump is understandable, because that's exactly what he would do if nominated. But if you actually care about this country, about ensuring a conservative court majority for decades so that some kind of line can be held on the Leftist takeover of everything, about doing something about the OPEN GATE that Obama has given us when it comes to immigration, if you don't want a FREAKIN' COMMUNIST to be elected, then support a serious candidate, not this clown show Trump.

End rant!

Blogger automatthew August 26, 2015 9:55 PM  

888.

Anonymous Godfrey August 26, 2015 10:08 PM  

Who's funding the NYT? How can it continue to survive? Sometimes I think it must be getting $$$ from the FED or elements within the USG.

Blogger Cail Corishev August 26, 2015 10:12 PM  

If you just want to burn the Republican party down

Congrats, you're starting to get it.

But if you actually care about this country, about ensuring a conservative court majority for decades

Ha ha ha! Dude, you have to warn people before you say stuff like that; a guy could bust a gut laughing.

Seriously, did you sleep through the recent SCOTUS rulings? You might -- might -- have been able to sell that snake oil a couple elections ago, but you've gotta be kidding with that garbage now.

Blogger Cail Corishev August 26, 2015 10:16 PM  

Who's funding the NYT?

Carlos Slim, a Mexican who has become one of the richest men in the world by running Mexico's phone monopoly and making a bundle from cross-border calls and skimming off all that sweet, sweet remittance money.

No, seriously. That's who's pulling the NYT's strings now. Read Steve Sailer.

Anonymous zen0 the Ephemeral August 26, 2015 10:17 PM  

@102 jakoye

As for Trump, I really have no use for another egomaniac in the White House.

You know Harry Truman is not available, right?

Blogger JAY WILL August 26, 2015 10:17 PM  

Its all become clear, its not that he's some fat black loser with a chip on his shoulder. He's actually a closet homo. The brilliant analysis you can expect off the neo-masculine movement. Pick sides.

Anonymous Didas Kalos August 26, 2015 11:10 PM  

JAY WILL now post his comments under the correct article. :)

Blogger Student in Blue August 27, 2015 12:11 AM  

But if you actually care about this country,

...which requires deportation, without which there will *be* no country...

about ensuring a conservative court majority for decades so that some kind of line can be held on the Leftist takeover of everything,

...because that's done so well for us so far. Yes, so very well...

about doing something about the OPEN GATE that Obama has given us when it comes to immigration,

...so don't vote the guy who actually gave the clearest, most concise answer on immigration...

if you don't want a FREAKIN' COMMUNIST to be elected

????

Every method I tried to make that sentence make sense was illogical. You'll have to explain.

then support a serious candidate, not this clown show Trump.

Too bad the "serious" candidates are all career politicians, and they haven't done anything yet, have flip-flopped, and have generally been unfaithful to their principles. Why should we trust them now?

Anonymous Discard August 27, 2015 12:19 AM  

82. BGS: What makes you think that Clinton wouldn't kill children riding in Trump's helicopter for sport, let alone to win the Presidency? The MSM would cover for her, explaining that they were all anchor babies anyway.

Anonymous Discard August 27, 2015 12:25 AM  

44. Roundtine: Best wishes on your new child. What's her name?

Anonymous Discard August 27, 2015 12:40 AM  

Trump is building White racial awareness. He is forcing the others to address the real issues they've been ignoring for decades. And Jeb's incompetence is a blessing, pointing out the Chinese dragon in the room. Better for Trump to lose to Hilary with 48% of the popular vote than for Rubio-Jindal-Carson-Bush-Thomsen to win with 52 % of the vote.

Blogger Danby August 27, 2015 12:56 AM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger Danby August 27, 2015 12:59 AM  

@102 jakoye

Hey, don't blame me, I'm for Santorum.

If there's one thing I gotten from my examination of Game, here and elsewhere, it is this; See things for what they are.

So long as you believe things that are not so, so long as you are reacting to false stimulli, you will make the wrong decisions. You will fail the shit test, apologize to the poo-flingers, you will believe women, you will send out a stupid photoshop of your candidate with multi-racial hands, you will vote GOP.

Take a look around you. An honest one this time.

There is ZERO chance of Bush appointing a conservative justice. His brother tried, because his brother thought he was conservative. Jeb isn't going to try, because he thinks that open borders, free medical care for everyone, welfare, section 8 housing and federal control of the tiniest minutiae of our lives are conservative.

There is ZERO chance that Jeb! will reduce the size of Leviathan, return to the minimalist traditions of our forebears and the constitution, reduce the regulatory burden on small business, defend our right to own guns, do anything that would reduce, let alone restrict abortion.

There is ZERO chance that Jeb! will do anything to restore freedom in any way. Be it freedom of association, freedom of commerce, property rights, freedom of conscience, none of it means anything to him.

There is ZERO chance that Jeb! will do the slightest thing to reign in the debt, restore our sovereignty, or forestall the collapse in any way. It's simply not going to happen.

Right now, it''s a choice between Jeb! and Trump. And I will never, ever ever vote for or support Jeb!

OpenID jakoye August 27, 2015 8:33 AM  

Hey Danby,

Not sure where you get the idea that I support Jeb. Never have and never will. I'm firmly against political dynasties and wouldn't vote for him even if he was performing well. I agree that he likely wouldn't appoint very conservative justices in the mold of Thomas, Scalia, and Alito, the kind of strict constructionist judges that might actually be able to hold the line against the liberal/marxist takeover of our country.

I think the next president HAS to be a conservative, a real conservative who has proven it by voting as a conservative, who doesn't equivocate about his conservatism and, at the same time, can convince the moderates to go along with his agenda (ala Reagan). Trump is none of these things. He is a liberal, a true RINO, and not wedded at all to conservative principles or a conservative agenda. Besides all of that, there is no way with his acerbic personality and the freedom with which he insults people that he would be able to get any of his agenda through Congress. He would be a spectacularly ineffective president.

If you want to "stick it to Jeb" and the Republican establishment, then I think you should support a true conservative candidate, not this carnival barker who promises you he'll "get things done" Mussolini-style, but actually has no plan or prospects for actually getting anything done.

OpenID jakoye August 27, 2015 8:45 AM  

Cail Corishev: Yes, the recent Supreme Court decisions on ObamaCare and gay marriage were travesties of justice. But both of those rulings were 5-4 rulings. Losing elections has consequences and with liberal presidents having been in power for 16 of the last 24 years, it's no surprise the Supreme Court has taken a leftward tilt. This is why the next president is so important. With the age of the current justices, it is likely that at least a couple seats will come open on the Court. If a conservative president is not in power to put strict constructionists on the bench in the mold of Scalia, Thomas, and Alito, then those 5-4 rulings will become 7-2 and we can look forward to polygamy, reparations, open borders, criminal rights, and even incestuous marriage.

I understand frustration that some Republican Court appointees have been disappointments. We all remember the disaster that was David Souter. Anthony Kennedy has been a disappointment and even John Roberts, who was supposed to be a reliable conservative vote, went soft in the middle when he became Chief Justice.

But the solution to that problem is not to throw up our hands, take our toys and go home. We cannot cede the field to the Left, who are chomping at the bit to pack the Court with more "wise Latinas". We must not accept defeatism and cynicism as the answer. We must continue to fight the good fight, to make our enemies cower in fear and dread, and to win back this country so it doesn't go down the tubes. Some may say it's too late and that the car has gone over the cliff. I disagree, so I'm going to fight. I hope there are others to fight with me.

OpenID jakoye August 27, 2015 9:02 AM  

@StudentInBlue
The communist reference was to Bernie Sanders, although it could equally apply to Hildebeast, who would show her true Marxist colors if it was socially acceptable. It's my opinion that nominating Trump will inevitably lead to a Democratic victory in the next election. Trump may appeal to you and to a segment of the Republican party (and non-Republicans who are none the less mostly conservative in outlook), but there is no way he will appeal to enough people in the middle to win any national election. He's a bloviating ego trip who is having a good time being the center of attention and cares nothing about advancing conservatism.

Sure, he'll throw a bloody bone to his supporters when it comes to illegal immigration ("I'm going to build a beautiful wall and make Mexico pay for it!"), but he has no actual prospects of ever being able to fulfill his silly statements. Not to mention, that more illegal immigrants are coming in by plane than are coming in by sneaking over the US-Mexican border!! He wants to build a Maginot Line when we need a more flexible, active defense against illegal immigrants.

I understand he speaks to the frustration of many, who just want to see SOMETHING get done and think Trump is the guy to do it. But this is the temptation of dictatorship, which is something any democracy must guard against. Trump is just Obama 2.0, because I have no doubt he'll use any executive power we give him in an extra-judicial way just as Obama does. Do you really think Trump has any reverence for the Constitution and its limitations on presidential power?

A dictator is not the answer to our problems, especially one as content and principle-free as Trump is. We need a true conservative who has respect for the institutions and instruments our Founding Fathers have passed down for us. Everything they fought for and designed is in real danger of being tossed away. We cannot let that happen because America truly is the last, best hope of mankind.

Blogger Danby August 27, 2015 9:04 AM  

@jakoye,
Then who are you for? I know you hate Trump, so much so that you are willing to believe lies about him. Who is the person in the race that will appoint your "Conservative" justice. Because we've seen what happens when we elect Republicans. They appoint Souter, and Kennedy.

I think Santorum is the only conservative in the race so far. He hasn't a snowball's chance in hell, thanks to the fact that the faggots-are-perfect brigade absolutely despise him and are perfectly willing to smear and libel him, anything to keep him out of the running.

So who's your conservative candidate? Scott "Throw Open The Border" Walker? Rand "Erase the border" Paul? Carly "I drove HP on ground intercept at Mach 4" Fiorina?

Blogger Cail Corishev August 27, 2015 9:34 AM  

Not sure where you get the idea that I support Jeb.

You said you were a Republican, and encouraged us to vote thus. The Republican party decided years ago that ¡Jeb! is the candidate this time, and that hasn't changed. If it's not Trump, it'll be ¡Jeb!. He has far more money than any of the other "conservatives"; maybe more than all of them added together, because the donor class has been shoveling it his way for several years now, well before the campaign finance restrictions of the campaign kicked in.

The primary campaign is just for show, to make the chosen candidate look like a semi-final winner before he goes into the finals. Just as it happened 16 years ago. Remember how it seemed like a "wide field" and people were excited about this or that candidate in the debates and early primaries? Then the mainstream GOP said, "Okay, that was fun, but now it's time to get behind Bush because he has the most money and can win, and we NEED conservative judges."

If not for Trump, the same thing would be happening now. There would be some excitement around some other candidates, who might win an irrelevant early primary or two. Then the talking heads would say....exactly what they said then, and what you're saying now. Gotta get those conservative judges, so we have to pick the most likely winner now matter how much he sucks, and whaddya know, ¡Jeb! has the only bankroll big enough for the job. Guess he's the guy.

And in the meantime, the only debate about immigration would be how best to do amnesty. Santorum might dissent, since he's moved right on the issue in the last few years, but the party and the media would easily sideline him. The rest of them would be quibbling over the details of how best to keep the melting pot at high bubble.

Anonymous Gx August 27, 2015 12:11 PM  

@jakoye

The moderates that are waiting to vote and put a Bush (or a Romney for that matter) on the White House seem to be fictional, sorry to say.

Anonymous TheVillageIdiot(Ret.) August 27, 2015 3:49 PM  

Democratic PARTY vs Republican PARTY
-------------------------------------------------------------
I'd never belong to a party, that would have someone like me as a member.

Karl Marx
no no wait wait
Groucho Marx
no wait wait
One!of the good Marx Brothers
no wait
Never mind

DannyR

OpenID jakoye August 27, 2015 9:16 PM  

@Danby:
My choices are 1) Rubio 2) Carson 3) Cruz because I think they're all true conservatives. I understand there is a lot of disquiet about Rubio when it comes to immigration, but on the whole (and especially on life), I think he's the best conservative candidate and the one who has the best chance to get elected. I would vote for any of the three, however.

As for Jeb, I've never been a supporter and would probably sit out the election if he were chosen. I don't think the Establishment is hog-wild about Jeb either, as Cail believes. Sure, he raised all that money, but that was before he made all these gaffes and has come across as a bowl of lukewarm oatmeal on the campaign trail.

Cail, as for your point about justices, there is no doubt that conservatives began to err when the Bork nomination was withdrawn. Bork's only crime was being too conservative. If that was the problem, then there's no way Marxists like Ginsburg, Kagan, and Sotomayer should have been able to make it onto the bench. Conservatives have been playing checkers to the Left's chess for too long now. It's time for that to stop.

Blogger Danby August 27, 2015 11:50 PM  

Conservatives have been playing checkers to the Left's chess for too long now. It's time for that to stop.

..he says naming two checkers players as his top two candidates. From my perspective, Carson and Rubio are neither of them conservative, unless by conservative you mean "low-tax liberal"

Blogger automatthew August 28, 2015 12:36 AM  

Why.

Why are any of you responding to that guy?

He's clearly not here honestly.

You guys.

Sigh.

OpenID jakoye August 28, 2015 1:51 AM  

@automatthew
It's called a conversation, Matthew. Or do you prefer an echo chamber where only views you agree with are voiced? That sounds very SJW-ish of you. Real diversity is allowing everyone the freedom to, gasp, have different opinions and to not be subject to groupthink. You should try it sometime.

@Danby
Well then, obviously we have very different definitions of "conservative". Not sure how Trump fits inside yours, but most Trump supporters have no idea what his actual positions on the issues are because he's mostly making it up as he goes along.

Wheeeeee!

Blogger Danby August 28, 2015 2:42 AM  

As I told you Jak, I'm a Santorum guy. I don't support Trump, except in so far as he is one of the candidates (like Cruz and Walker) I could vote for. But unlike you, I don't ignore the real world in favor of a fantasy world of someone else's invention. The big problem with buying the narrative being sold by the GOP is that it's based on lies, wilful evasions and wishful thinking. It is very likely Trump could get the nomination. At this point, I'd put it at 25%. You need to figure out how you will react to that. Loudly denying it is not a viable strategy at this point.I assume that the purpose is to disqualify Trump in the minds of your audience, but since it's manifestly untrue, it mostly makes you look like a shill for the GOPe.

@Automatthew,
He's behaving himself. I'm (mostly) behaving myself. He's a moderate, sure, but he's holding fire.

Blogger Cail Corishev August 28, 2015 7:52 AM  

He's clearly not here honestly.

I dunno, I know people in real life who make the exact same arguments with a straight face. If I were inclined to turn on Fox News and watch some chat program, I could hear them there. I've heard them during the last several elections, every time some "maverick" threatens to peel some support away from the ordained candidate. Maybe this guy is doing a bit, but the arguments he's using are real.

Carson and Rubio are neither of them conservative, unless by conservative you mean "low-tax liberal"

It's fun to try to imagine what they would conserve -- how far back would they roll the changes leftists have wrought, if they had absolute power. Usually you think of conservatives as wanting to go back to the 1950s, but neither of these guys would go even that far. I'm guessing they'd find even much of the 1980s objectionable, so they'd try to "conserve" maybe 2004 or so.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts