ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2016 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Wednesday, August 05, 2015

What passes for SJW "journalism"

It's not just about ethics in science fiction journalism, it's about the way SJWs regularly get the most basic facts completely wrong. Because - all together now - SJWs always lie:
Adam Roberts @arrroberts
In a nutshell, my thoughts on the 2015 Hugos kerfuffle.

"Nazis. I hate these guys."

Metayahu@Metayahu
It's even funnier because the white guy is married to a black woman.
NAZI

Adam Roberts @arrroberts
Since I nowhere call Torgerson (or anyone) a Nazi, I'm not sure of your point.

Peat Moss ‏@DrinkerOfScotch
Do you not see the picture included in your original tweet? The one that says "Nazis, I hate these guys"?

Adam Roberts @arrroberts
You were originally responding to my Guardian piece.

Peat Moss @DrinkerOfScotch
I wasn't responding to anything previously. So you're saying you just happened to mention Nazis and Hugos for no reason?

Adam Roberts @arrroberts
The 'Nazis' joke (from days before) was about Vox Day. Through to be accurate he's not a Nazi: he's a clerical fascist.

Peat Moss @DrinkerOfScotch
Thanks for the clarification. Good to know exactly what your biases are.

Adam Roberts @arrroberts
I have beliefs, predicated on principles, experience and thought. I'm sure you do too. Calling them 'biases' is merely rude

Peat Moss @DrinkerOfScotch
I think calling people fascists and misrepresenting the Sad Puppies as racist, sexist, and homophobic is just a bit more rude.

Adam Roberts @arrroberts
You are, perhaps, denying that Vox Day is a clerical fascist, or John C Wright a homophobe? We'll have to agree to disagree

Peat Moss @DrinkerOfScotch
Vox Day is a libertarian. I disagree with many of his opinions, but he's not trying to silence people or pass laws against them.

Filotto ‏@Filotto
no. We'll have to agree you are an outrageous liar. @voxday is demonstarbly not fascist.

Adam Roberts @arrroberts
V.D. is a deeply religious Catholic with militaristic, racist and misogynistic views. He's no common-garden libertarian.

Filotto ‏@Filotto
why do you lie so stupidly? @voxday is NOT a catholic. And you lie about the rest too.

Vox Day @voxday
You're pig-ignorant, Roberts. I'm not a Catholic and never have been. I'm not racist or misogynistic either.

Vox Day @voxday
If you were an actual journalist, not an SJW parody of one, you'd talk to me, not to others about me.

Robert G Evans @drawncutlass
Well said.  The whole Sad Puppies controversy has been marked by unethical journalism.
I'll admit, I'm every bit as racist, sexist, misogynistic, homophobic, and white supremacist as I am Catholic. And Old Martian. The funny thing is that the most recent Catholics in my heritage are a) the Mexicans and b) the Native Americans, two basic facts about me that the SJWs are desperate to deny.

Isn't it remarkable how they will so readily claim me to be that which I am not, while simultaneously omitting to mention that which I indisputably am?

Labels: ,

104 Comments:

Anonymous Roundtine August 05, 2015 5:37 PM  

Vox thinks Japan could have pulled off a land invasion of California in 1942, and he denies the Holocaust because it is physically impossible to move that many people by rail. He hates soccer and only drinks Maxwell House brewed in a Mr. Coffee machine. He lives alone in the Philippines with two cats.

Where's my press pass?

Blogger Josh August 05, 2015 5:37 PM  

What is a clerical fascist?

Anonymous 334 August 05, 2015 5:39 PM  

I'll admit, I'm every bit as racist, sexist, misogynistic, homophobic, and white supremacist as I am Catholic.

This is one of those typical brilliant Vox comments destined to be retweeted interminably because it is so easy to deliberately misinterpret and mischaracterize, but I love that it is completely true and that he throws it out there, damn the torpedos.

Blogger ajw308 (#98) August 05, 2015 5:45 PM  

Isn't it remarkable how they will so readily claim me to be that which I am not, while simultaneously omitting to mention that which I indisputably am?
Must have something to do with having 206 lying bones in their bodies. Seems like they have a hard time filling their daily lying quotas.

Blogger Jack Ward August 05, 2015 5:55 PM  

I'm not completely sure what VD is; but, I like most of what I've seen so far. Of course, he could go off the rails and ruin my internet experience some day.

Blogger tweell August 05, 2015 5:57 PM  

Straw Vox is a horrible person. It's GOOD to hate Straw Vox. How dare you point out that Straw Vox and real Vox have almost nothing in common!

Anonymous 334 August 05, 2015 5:57 PM  

@5 Jack Ward

If you're going to have your internet experience ruined, this would be the place to do it.

Blogger Cail Corishev August 05, 2015 6:01 PM  

I like how they consider "deeply religious" to be an insult on par with "racist" and "misogynist." I mean, we've known for a long time that they thought that way, but now they come right out and say it.

Anonymous Krul August 05, 2015 6:04 PM  

"You misunderstand me. When I said 'Nazis", I meant 'one Nazi'. And when I said 'Nazi' I meant 'clerical fascist'. And when I said 'clerical fascist', I meant 'deeply religious Catholic with militaristic, racist and misogynistic views'. And when I said..."

Blogger Jack Aubrey August 05, 2015 6:04 PM  

Clerical Fascist? Vox, do you keep track of all your labels? It might help your biographer some day.

Blogger Nate August 05, 2015 6:04 PM  

Catholic?

where the hell did that come from?

Anonymous WillBest August 05, 2015 6:08 PM  

Vox could be Catholic. I only know a few dozen Catholics, but that small sample size leads me to believe strict adherence to the teaching of the Catholic church is optional and probably actively frowned upon.

Anonymous patrick kelly August 05, 2015 6:09 PM  

"he could go off the rails and ruin my internet experience some day."

Sounds like lots of comedy and entertainment to me....

Blogger Rabbi B August 05, 2015 6:09 PM  

"Isn't it remarkable how they will so readily claim me to be that which I am not, while simultaneously omitting to mention that which I indisputably am?"

You're not in bad company.

He asked His disciples, saying, “Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?” So they said, “Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” (Matthew 16)

So there was a division among the people because of Him. Now some of them wanted to take Him, but no one laid hands on Him. (John 7)

It's much easier for liars to dismiss the pesky little facts and truths as figments of their imagination not so that they never have to look in the mirror of people like VD, but so they never have to come to terms with what he represents and the frightening possibility that they have been wrong all along.

SJWs always lie and SJWs never change. Change and growth is anathema to them. The only mirrors in which they are willing to gaze are the ones that lie to them, like the one in the fun house at the local carnival. They must have the itchiest ears on the planet which only lies and a flattery can soothe.

Anonymous patrick kelly August 05, 2015 6:10 PM  

"Catholic?

where the hell did that come from?"

The word Catholic appeared on the blog somewhere....

Anonymous Lulabelle (68) August 05, 2015 6:11 PM  

" Of course, he could go off the rails and ruin my internet experience some day."

I started reading here cause I thought he was off the rails. 10 years on, I can say my internet experience is vastly improved because of this blog.

Blogger Bluntobj Winz August 05, 2015 6:14 PM  

I'd say it's a brilliant example of the word association that goes on in an SJW mind. Since words are mutable in definition they change by the moment. I wonder what other word association chains can be drawn out of them?

Anonymous Krul August 05, 2015 6:19 PM  

@17 "I'd say it's a brilliant example of the word association that goes on in an SJW mind."

Yep. The guy is basically admitting that he can't tell the difference between a nazi, a fascist, a Catholic, and a racist.

Anonymous Valiant August 05, 2015 6:20 PM  

Adam Robert's is such a little pregnant female dog. He calls a large group of people Nazi's. Then when it is pointed out that Brad is married to a black woman, he then runs away and pivots his attacks on what he believes to be an easy mark, Vox. He then comes up with a clerical fascist nonsense and claiming that Vox is Catholic. Tries to weasel out of being called on being wrong, and then tries to pretend that he is a gentleman and that pointing out all his attacks as being false, is an attack on politeness and civil behavior. What a tool.

Is he really a journalist?

Anonymous Valiant August 05, 2015 6:22 PM  

Then it appears that he blocks Vox. I am not sure on this though. But I believe he blocks Vox.

Blogger JACIII August 05, 2015 6:22 PM  

You miss the point, VD. The SJW's are trying to make it so by saying it over and over again as if it were true. They think it is working in other areas (he's a she, abortion is a women's health service, your exhalations cause the planet to overheat, etc) and if they just wish hard enough....

I expect any day now a mitre will pop into existence upon your pate, SB will don a burqa, and a swastika tattoo will fade in to being on your forehead.

Blogger Cogitans Iuvenis August 05, 2015 6:27 PM  

"Catholic?

where the hell did that come from?"

For all the "love" progressives throw towards Francis II, or the Kennedy's, they despise Catholics in general. There are many reasons among them, such as the fact that white Catholics tend to vote conservative more than progressive, but the fact that the SJW ideology can draw a direct lineage from the same types who fostered prohibition, or created the know-nothings is all you really need to know.

Blogger CM August 05, 2015 6:31 PM  

The word Catholic appeared on the blog somewhere....

In discussions Vox barely participates in (if ever except to warn boundary crossers).

I think I saw a mention to his denominational alignment once...

Blogger Cail Corishev August 05, 2015 6:32 PM  

Catholic?

where the hell did that come from?


If I had to guess at the workings of an SJW mind:

Summa Elvetica -> Summa Theologica -> St. Thomas Aquinas -> Catholic. Vox is also a fan of well-known Catholic filmmaker Umberto Eco. Then there's his affinity for naming his books with Latin words, even when they're not. And he moved to Italy, probably to live near the Vatican. Case closed.

Vox could be Catholic. I only know a few dozen Catholics, but that small sample size leads me to believe strict adherence to the teaching of the Catholic church is optional and probably actively frowned upon.

That's very true. But when leftists use "Catholic" as an epithet, they don't mean the modernist, ecumenist, all-beliefs-have-value type; they mean the pre-1960 type that believed in things whether or not they were easy and popular.

Blogger Danby August 05, 2015 6:35 PM  

...when leftists use "Catholic" as an epithet, they don't mean the modernist, ecumenist, all-beliefs-have-value type; they mean the pre-1960 type that believed in things whether or not they were easy and popular.

No, when they say "Catholic" they mean anti-gay. That's all.

Anonymous a_peraspera August 05, 2015 6:36 PM  

Well since SJWs define racist as "Does not worship blacks," and sexist as "Does not worship women," I guess Vox IS both of those things.

I don't see that he's militaristic, though. I mean, Vox has always been staunchly against the neocons' "Invade the world, invite the world" strategy.

Blogger Danby August 05, 2015 6:39 PM  

Well, thinking longer about it, they mean the weird sort of anti-sex bigot who doesn't understand what sex is really about, who's totally against anyone having sex ever, but who has 10 kids, and obviously has a happy marriage.

"It's MY life, Dad, and I'll fuck who I wanna!"

Blogger Nate August 05, 2015 6:39 PM  

"Is he really a journalist?"

I'm curious.. what... in all that description of his behavior... was not perfectly reflective or modern journalism?

Blogger Corvinus August 05, 2015 6:40 PM  

@24

I'll add that it's likely that Roberts probably confused Vox with JCW.

For all the "love" progressives throw towards Francis II, or the Kennedy's, they despise Catholics in general. There are many reasons among them, such as the fact that white Catholics tend to vote conservative more than progressive, but the fact that the SJW ideology can draw a direct lineage from the same types who fostered prohibition, or created the know-nothings is all you really need to know.

Pretty much. The only "Catholics" that SJWs actually like are those Catholics-in-name-only who make Marxism, not Catholicism, their defining philosophy.

Blogger Salt August 05, 2015 6:44 PM  

Need to photoshop a popehat into your flaming sword pic.

Blogger Cail Corishev August 05, 2015 6:44 PM  

No, when they say "Catholic" they mean anti-gay.

Good point; that's pretty much what it boils down to now.

Anonymous patrick kelly August 05, 2015 6:45 PM  

"Is he really a journalist?"

Yes

Anonymous Quartermain August 05, 2015 6:45 PM  

SJW journalism is like modern art, a contradiction in terms.

Anonymous Viidad August 05, 2015 6:45 PM  

A Nazi, a fascist, a Catholic, and a racist walk into a bar...

...the bartender looks up from her copy of Dawkins and says, "OMG I'm going to Vegas!"

Blogger Corvinus August 05, 2015 6:48 PM  

No, when they say "Catholic" they mean anti-gay.

Good point; that's pretty much what it boils down to now.


@31 Cail Corishev

Yeah, the problem is that Catholics cannot accept sodomogamy without automatically becoming non-Catholics. They'd still be a debased form of Christian, but not actually Catholic.

Anonymous Magnificent Bastard August 05, 2015 7:01 PM  

Vox Day is Spacebunnys' sock puppet

Anonymous BGS August 05, 2015 7:09 PM  

What is a clerical fascist?

Someone in charge of a records room that needs boxes of copy/printer paper to be locked up in her office. I worked with one that had boxes of paper stacked up in such quantity against the wall noise would come from it dampened sound.

Must have something to do with having 206 lying bones in their bodies Don't forget were- manatees have extra vertebra

It's much easier for liars to dismiss the pesky little facts and truths as figments of their imagination not so that they never have to look in the mirror of people like VD, but so they never have to come to terms with what he represents and the frightening possibility that they have been wrong all along.

Some people can't believe a gay man would own a gun, but think we should be victims. I have caused my fair share of cognitive dissonance. Leftists actually tried to sell trayon skittles shirts at pridefests after it came out skittles thought GZ was gay checking him out making it a failed gay bashing..


Where's my press pass?

Right here http://cfapa.org/ Join The Constitution First Amendment Press Association Press Credentials Available Free of Charge!

Make yourself a pass that says brietbart or Project Veritas and watch leftists shit themselves.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan August 05, 2015 7:13 PM  

By "racist" I suppose the little SJW cunt means white person?

Anonymous NorthernHamlet August 05, 2015 7:17 PM  

A Nazi, a fascist, a Catholic, and a racist walk into a bar...

...the bartender looks up from her copy of Dawkins and says, "OMG I'm going to Vegas!"


I lol'ed.

Blogger Flannel Avenger August 05, 2015 7:24 PM  

Seeing as how he was bashing John C. Wright a few tweets before, I'm going to guess that he put everything he knew about Vox and Mr. Wright in a blender, hit puree and came out with Catholic Vox and Flaming Sword Wielding John C. Wright.

Blogger JaimeInTexas August 05, 2015 7:28 PM  

Because Vox is catholic but not Catholic and they have not a clue.

Blogger Cee August 05, 2015 7:29 PM  

Seeing as how he was bashing John C. Wright a few tweets before, I'm going to guess that he put everything he knew about Vox and Mr. Wright in a blender, hit puree and came out with Catholic Vox and Flaming Sword Wielding John C. Wright.
The truth of the matter is Larry, Brad, Vox, John, Kate the Impaler, Sarah Hoyt, and the entire VFM core are in fact a giant stitched-together flesh amalgamation that is also a botnet.

So Vox is Catholic. Part. But also two parts Mormon.

Blogger Giuseppe August 05, 2015 7:40 PM  

The tragic thing is I read quite a few of Robert's books and enjoyed them too.
Why did he have to end up being such a fucking dishonest shithead.
It's very sad.

Blogger Flannel Avenger August 05, 2015 7:40 PM  

I see. SJW's are like the Borg Collective and they think everybody else is too. So, since John C. Wright and Vox are -in their eyes - part of the same collective individual traits are transferable.

Makes perfect sense.

Blogger ray August 05, 2015 7:42 PM  

"funny thing is that the most recent C"atholics in my heritage are a) the Mexicans and b) the Native Americans, two facts about me that the SJWs are desperate to deny"


You are an injun and mex? Definitely that'd discomfit the poli-supremacists.

My first girlfriend was a central valley mex whose catholic parents ran a med lab. We were mid teens puppy love and a 200 mile road trip away, which my buddy enjoyed driving at high speed. They had five daughters, a backyard pool, food and beer. The best of times. He had a big pancho villa handlebar moustache, was generous and fun. Everybody, even my hillbilly pagan buddy, went to Church on sunday morning.

I notice all along the NW coast, service industries are immigrant dominated. I'm against open borders and babylonification, but the Mexicans and Indians/Thais/etc dominate 'service' sectors, which mostly means crap work like cleaning rooms and waiting tables. Respectable hard work. It's instructive to observe that in general the most feminine, humble, and gracious of females in the U.S. are mexican women doing housekeeping work. Generally, they are not spoiled, are not presumptuous, are industrious, helpful and grateful when rewarded.

No political solution, including merely closing borders, will solve the problems America has, which go much deeper.

Blogger W.LindsayWheeler August 05, 2015 7:57 PM  

VD as a "clerical fascist"! What a hoot. The guy doesn't know from whence he talks about.


As to the Catholic, militarist, racist, homophobe, I guess that's me, one of the Ilk. How do they confuse such things? Do they confuse the comment section with the Vox? Or....I must be the sock puppet for Vox---his alter ego! that's it. They figured it out. Vox has a split personality. One day he is a libertarian and the next he is commenting on his own articles as a Catholic, militarist, racist, misogynist, homophobe.

As to being a racist? Shouldn't we all be "for our own race"? Is that what being a "racist" is? If one is not a racist, are you deracinating oneself? Isn't race part and parcel of the Natural Order? Did not God create all races? So, if I am a biblical Christian, shouldn't I proudly exclaim that I am a racist? That I will protect and defend my kinsmen, and my kinsmen go first?

Blogger Giraffe August 05, 2015 8:06 PM  

The Catholic probably was just him confusing VD and John Wright.

Blogger Giraffe August 05, 2015 8:06 PM  

He got his bigots switched.

Anonymous Godfrey August 05, 2015 8:16 PM  

I didn't know Vox and the rest of us were a members of the National Socialist German Worker's Party?

I'm not even German so I'm certainly not a German nationalist. And I'm definitely not a socialist.

Blogger bw August 05, 2015 8:29 PM  

SJWs regularly get the most basic facts completely wrong. Because - all together now - SJWs always lie VD

Which is to say, the facts are purposefully misrepresented. Lied about. Made up for purposes of propaganda. They couldn't care less if the "facts are wrong". That is their job and ideology and belief system. To get it wrong. And to WIN.

Anonymous Culture War Draftee #151 August 05, 2015 8:49 PM  

The Guardian has standards guys. Not just anybody can write for it. you've got to be an ultra-leftist with a tourettes-like impulse for invective, but no skills to actually carry it off. How many people like that could be out there?

Anonymous FriarBob August 05, 2015 8:53 PM  

I don't know who this idiot is, but under the circumstances I'm going to guess he's pretty leftist. Even if he personally is not, many others like him are. And I am rather amused by how so many people say dumb things like "I hate Nazis" without realizing just how close they come to LITERALLY saying "I hate my own political philosophy".

Blogger overcaffeinated August 05, 2015 8:55 PM  

@12

Like every large organization, the Catholic Church struggles with SJW infiltration. The core error they try to push is that one can be a Catholic while "opting out" of certain uncomfortable doctrines. But, as you say, the actual "teaching of the Catholic Church" remains unchanged. Of course, it's always been like this. (For example, the Arian Controversy.) A pattern of decadence -> prophecy -> purgation -> clarity exists in the Old Testament as well. I think we're in the "prophecy" phase now.

Blogger Cail Corishev August 05, 2015 8:56 PM  

The Catholic probably was just him confusing VD and John Wright.

And as SJWs have taught us over and over, when someone accidentally insults the wrong person or says something offensive, we should give him the benefit of the doubt, and at worst he should get off with a perfunctory apology.

No wait, that wasn't it, I remember what it was now: we're supposed to demand that he be cast out of polite society and prevented from making a living, strip him of any awards and honors he might have been given, rewrite history to remove any positive mention of him, send him threats and tell him he should kill himself, and make his name anathema for time immemorial.

So they'll get right on that, I'm sure.

Anonymous zen0 August 05, 2015 9:02 PM  

@52 Friar Bob

To be fair, they are Bolsheviks, but the only points of contention they have with Nazis is national v international identity politics and who are the people that there is NO PLACE IN SOCIETY FOR.

There is no place in society for people who say there is no place in society for certain people.

Or something like that.

Anonymous Ain August 05, 2015 9:17 PM  

Josh: What is a clerical fascist?

A bureaucrat.

Blogger Eric August 05, 2015 9:26 PM  

They think it is working in other areas (he's a she, abortion is a women's health service, your exhalations cause the planet to overheat, etc) and if they just wish hard enough....

Sadly, it is working in other areas.

Anonymous TheVillageIdiot(Ret.) August 05, 2015 9:35 PM  

When I look into the faces of the wanna be speech Nazis in America,I don't see the faces of the Christians,I see the faces of the Christiaphobians.The Christophobic Coalition of Commie Stooges;
the feministas, sodomistas and apeist,political lobby groups and political wings of the stupid white people in the new brown man's Democratic party.

DannyR

Blogger Ignatius Mulder August 05, 2015 10:09 PM  

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen once said, "There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”

Given that Vox has suddenly been accused of being Catholic, I feel that this quote can be vicariously applied to him.

Blogger Ignatius Mulder August 05, 2015 10:09 PM  

And, of cripes, I just said 'I feel'. My bad!

Anonymous zen0 by the Salish $%*%Sea August 05, 2015 10:10 PM  

@45 ray

I notice all along the NW coast, service industries are immigrant dominated. I'm against open borders and babylonification, but the Mexicans and Indians/Thais/etc dominate 'service' sectors, which mostly means crap work like cleaning rooms and waiting tables. Respectable hard work. It's instructive to observe that in general the most feminine, humble, and gracious of females in the U.S. are mexican women doing housekeeping work. Generally, they are not spoiled, are not presumptuous, are industrious, helpful and grateful when rewarded.

Bear with me here ray, I am trying to eat dinner. I hear what you are saying. Eveyone says Jeb Bush has a low grade wife because she is latino and not a supermodel.

Let us be real here. There are not a lot of Spacebunnys in America.Vox probably got the last best one.

My cousin in LA has divorced 3 white bitches from America, and now has a Guatemalan housekeeper that is short on English but berry berry nice to everybody and works at a care home for old people.

In her time off that gig, she is a live in girl caretaker for this old bastard, who injects some chemical into his man thing to make it operative so he can screw her, and she manages his food for maximum diabetic advantage. He pays her for service, but she treats him like a husband. He even has a rule that she must phone in advance in case some other insane LA Woman is there and she is fine with that.

When her brother in Guatemala tried to screw her out of her inheritance, he bought her a lawyer.

Meanwhile, she sends money to her family and talks to them on his dime.

I would take that over some white bitch anytime.

Being a pool man, he always had access to the servant ladies. Seems to have a rapport.

By the way, Canadian by birth, in case that makes a difference.

Anonymous Thought Monitor August 05, 2015 10:15 PM  

@59

> And, of cripes, I just said 'I feel'. My bad!

$%*% man! What were you thinking!

Blogger Chiva August 05, 2015 10:18 PM  

What is a clerical fascist?

It's the guy working next to the Soup Nazi. Yeah, that guy, The guy with the robes.

Blogger paradox August 05, 2015 10:22 PM  

Nothing wrong with clerical fascism. Austrian clerical fascist, Engelbert Dollfuss, put both the Commies and Nazis in concentration camps

Anonymous Not-So-Merry zen0 August 05, 2015 10:23 PM  

After re reading my comment, I think what it boils down to is White Bitches don't carry the water and kill their children. What is a man to do?

Women don't wreck everything, feminists do.
Women build and nurture, feminists violate and destroy.

A nation of cunts on parade?
Yah, thats it.
A white cunt parade, with a flag and all.
Thats the ticket.

Anonymous zen0 August 05, 2015 10:34 PM  

@64

> Engelbert Dollfuss, put both the Commies and Nazis in concentration camps

And how did that work out for him?

Blogger paradox August 05, 2015 10:38 PM  

@66

And how did the War for Southern Independence turn out for Southerners? Doing the right thing doesn't mean you'll win. At least Dollfuss tried.

Anonymous zen0 August 05, 2015 10:42 PM  

@67

> Doing the right thing doesn't mean you'll win. At least Dollfuss tried.

He did his best.

Anonymous Clint #47/#73 August 05, 2015 10:47 PM  

@21 You miss the point, VD. The SJW's are trying to make it so by saying it over and over again as if it were true. They think it is working in other areas (he's a she, abortion is a women's health service, your exhalations cause the planet to overheat, etc) and if they just wish hard enough....

I actually use Vox as an example in my classes about why we don't use wikipedia for academic work. Who says I can't have fun in college classes?

Blogger automatthew August 05, 2015 10:55 PM  

Giraffe @48: He got his bigots switched.

Dear Penthouse,

I was looking for a girl who would touch my bigot switch ...

Blogger IM2L844 August 05, 2015 11:04 PM  

@55. zen0 "There is no place in society for people who say there is no place in society for certain people.

Or something like that."


I wish the SJWs would just decide exactly what it is they believe and stick with it. Then, at least, I might be able to muster some semblance of respect for the courage of their convictions. #JuxtaProgressive

Anonymous Whitey McWhite August 05, 2015 11:13 PM  

IM2L844: "I wish the SJWs would just decide exactly what it is they believe and stick with it."

They don't know till their programmers tell them.

Blogger bob k. mando August 05, 2015 11:36 PM  

2. Josh August 05, 2015 5:37 PM
What is a clerical fascist?



a specific brand of 'Christian' fascism extant in the 20s-40s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerical_fascism

it makes about as much sense as Christian Socialism.

and it's just about as 'Right Wing' as any other Socialist Workers Party.



16. Lulabelle (68) August 05, 2015 6:11 PM
I started reading here cause I thought he was off the rails. 10 years on ...



you're starting to realize that the rails are off the rails.




24. Cail Corishev August 05, 2015 6:32 PM
Vox is also a fan of well-known Catholic filmmaker Umberto Eco.



last i heard, Eco had been agnostic / atheist pretty much his whole adult life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umberto_Eco
"During his university studies, Eco stopped believing in God and left the Roman Catholic Church."

course, i suppose this was just a ruse. after all, what atheist would bother writing the 'The Name of the Rose'?

those tricksy Christianses, they'll not have our Precious.


62. Thought Monitor August 05, 2015 10:15 PM
$%*% man! What were you thinking!




it's feelz, all the way down.

Blogger ray August 05, 2015 11:59 PM  

Well that's some crazy shit zen-O. I'd offer to say a prayer about all that but I'm not sure what I'd be praying for? :O)


Anyway, I was just trying to report what I had encountered regionally concerning the mexican/immigrant thing. Cheers.

Anonymous Donn #0114 August 06, 2015 12:17 AM  

Didn't the Romanians do a Orthodox type of rightwing stuff? Iron Guard. Of course Wiki describes them as ultra-rightwing so is it the truth, a lie? I don't know because wiki cannot be trusted on social or historical issues from say the 10th century onwards.

Vox are you also secretly Romanian as well as Indian and Mex?

Blogger Cail Corishev August 06, 2015 12:23 AM  

last i heard, Eco had been agnostic / atheist pretty much his whole adult life.


He's also not a filmmaker. It was a joke.

Blogger JACIII August 06, 2015 12:32 AM  

Thread Winner!

@34 Viidad

A Nazi, a fascist, a Catholic, and a racist walk into a bar...

...the bartender looks up from her copy of Dawkins and says, "OMG I'm going to Vegas!"

Blogger John Wright August 06, 2015 12:41 AM  

And how in the world can they get away with claiming that I, of all people, am a homophobe?

I have nothing against homosexuals. My sins are worse than theirs.

I have everything against the jerkwads who keep telling the homosexuals to abuse their sex organs in unnatural sexual acts, and to seek erotic fulfillment in ways that biology and human psychology do not allow.

They are drug pushers. They prey on human weakness. They are evil.

I had a member of my family die because he pursued their false promises of sodomy-pushers. They told a man with a mental disease he would find happiness leaving his wife and kids and talking a shallow youth as a gay lover.

Well, it lead to his death. Does anyone dare to say I have a pathological hatred or fear of my own family member?

Does anyone dare to day I am wrong to hate and to fear those monsters whose whispers and urgings and propaganda and lies lured one of my loved ones to his death?

Whom else should I hate and fear, but those who kill my family members?

I can rightly be called a Leftophobe, or a Diabolophobe, if we mean by that word someone who hates Leftists and fears the stinking devils in hell, Moloch and Mammon and Asmodius and Baphomet, the gods of abortion, money-lust, lust, and unnatural lust, whom they worship and serve.

But a homophobe? Good grief. One might as well call me an isosceles triangle.

Who believes such bullshit? I think they recite it just to hear the sound of their own bullshit, shitting the shit of the bulls, and the smell enters their nostrils to delight them.

Blogger John Wright August 06, 2015 12:45 AM  

"I only know a few dozen Catholics, but that small sample size leads me to believe strict adherence to the teaching of the Catholic church is optional and probably actively frowned upon."

I know a lot of Catholics, and, sadly, this is true. Our Church is filled with sinners. It is a miracle we are still in business at all. A divine miracle, and proof that our Church is what she says she is.

So I am expected yet another death and resurrection of the Church within my lifetime. It has happened dozens of times before. It is the one thing Christians are good at.

Anonymous FP August 06, 2015 1:05 AM  

I'll tell you who's a clerical fascist. Mavis Beacon that's who. I'd stake my Pulitzer on it.

If you were a typewriter my love.... 2016 Hugo award winner.

Anonymous nrrl August 06, 2015 1:38 AM  

No, Adam Roberts is not a journalist. He's a professor of 19th-century British literature and a fine SF author, notable for creating imaginative anarchist societies and running them into the ground. I have no idea what he's trying to do here, but he's no Scalzi.

Blogger automatthew August 06, 2015 2:02 AM  

So I am expecting yet another death and resurrection of the Church within my lifetime.

That's what we do.

Blogger Tommy Hass August 06, 2015 2:15 AM  

"A divine miracle, and proof that our Church is what she says she is. "

You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

"The fact that a huge number of adherents barely adhere to the religion is proof positive that it is the true religion."

What does this say about the Church of Henry VIII then?

Blogger Kirk Parker August 06, 2015 2:39 AM  

FP #80:

"If you were a typewriter my love.... 2016 Hugo award winner."

LOLOLOL!!!!!!

Blogger John Wright August 06, 2015 3:22 AM  

"The fact that a huge number of adherents barely adhere to the religion is proof positive that it is the true religion."

Puh-lease. If you are going to try to put words in my mouth, at least make a sincere attempt like a grown up. Otherwise you are just trying to SJW me, albeit not as awkwardly as they do.

Not the fact that there are bad Catholics is what makes the Church divine. The fact that we have two thousand years of bad Catholics, incompetent, corrupt, lax sinful, grasping, foolish, and nothing we do destroys our Church, which is older than every other continuous human organization still in business, and nearly every language in Europe. You call that coincidence?

Anonymous Bz August 06, 2015 5:48 AM  

" [Adam Roberts]'s a professor of 19th-century British literature"

Can I make a guess at his research? 'OMG I Can't Even: Racism, Sexism, Homophobia and Fascism in 19th Century British Literature (except Jane Austen)'.

Blogger Tommy Hass August 06, 2015 5:53 AM  

To call that "proof" would be a bit of a stretch.

Blogger Tommy Hass August 06, 2015 5:55 AM  

Btw, one could argue that the willingness of the Church to bend the rules on occasion was one of the reasons for it's longetivity. Being perfectly pure from an ideological standpoint at all times can be disadvantageous. What doesn't bend could break.

Anonymous Steve August 06, 2015 6:11 AM  

Tommy Hass - Popes had a lot on their plate in the olden days, what with all the wars and political intrigues going on in Europe. To hold Christendom together the Pope had to be part holy man, part Tony Soprano.

I thought you might get a chuckle out of this:

Bayezid II ruled as Sultan of the Ottoman Empire from 1481 to 1512. His rule was contested by his brother Cem who sought the support of the Mamluks of Egypt. Defeated by his brother's armies, Cem sought protection from the Knights of St. John in Rhodes. Prince Cem offered perpetual peace between the Ottoman Empire and Christendom. However, the sultan paid the Knights a large amount to keep Cem captive. Cem was later sent to the castle of Pierre d'Aubusson in France. Sultan Bayezid sent a messenger to France and requested Cem to be kept there; he agreed to make an annual payment in gold for his brother's expenses.

In March 1489 Cem was transferred to the custody of Innocent VIII. Cem's presence in Rome was useful because whenever Bayezid intended to launch a military campaign against the Christian nations of the Balkans, the Pope would threaten to release his brother. In exchange for maintaining the custody of Cem, Bayezid paid Innocent VIII 120,000 crowns, a relic of the Holy Lance, and an annual fee of 45,000 ducats.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan August 06, 2015 7:26 AM  

So Mr. Roberts has racial theories, perhaps he can explain them. He is so damn smart he should damn well be able to answer some questions.

Blogger Tommy Hass August 06, 2015 7:33 AM  

Lol.

Blogger James Dixon August 06, 2015 9:06 AM  

> The fact that we have two thousand years of bad Catholics, incompetent, corrupt, lax sinful, grasping, foolish, and nothing we do destroys our Church,...

Well, it's not your Church, John. It's his. He's the one who preserves it, not us.

Blogger bob k. mando August 06, 2015 10:05 AM  

85. John Wright August 06, 2015 3:22 AM
and nothing we do destroys our Church, which is older than every other continuous human organization still


c'mon, not true John.

there are older Orthodox and Oriental churches. even if i grant you a heritage extending back to Peter, the church in Rome was one of the youngest established, certainly less senior than the churches in Asia Minor, the Levant and Egypt.

you don't get to lay claim to the heritage of the Asian/African churches without acknowledging that they are likewise still extant ... and OLDER than the 'Bishop of Rome'.

Anonymous nrrl August 06, 2015 12:04 PM  

@86
Biographia Literaria by Samuel Taylor Coleridge : The Edinburgh Critical Edition of the Major Works of Samuel Taylor Coleridge. / Roberts, Adam.
Edinburgh : Edinburgh University Press, 2014. 435 p.

The Routledge Companion to Science Fiction. / Bould, Mark (Editor); Butler, Andrew M. (Editor); Roberts, Adam (Editor); Vint, Sherryl (Editor).
UK : Routledge, 2009. 554 p.

Tennyson : The Oxford Authors. / Roberts, Adam.
Oxford : OUP, 2000. 651 p.

Robert Browning : The Oxford Authors. / Roberts, Adam.
OUP, 1997. 828 p.

‘A Note on the Intrinsic Structure of Swinburne’s Laus Veneris’. / Roberts, Adam.
In: Victorian Poetry, Vol. 28, 1990, p. 89-92.

The man is legit. He's an actual scholar. Unfortunately, his mental integrity has been compromised by the PC cult. He's not using his critical thinking on this because it's a religious matter, not that he would admit that.

Anonymous nrrl August 06, 2015 12:38 PM  

To clarify, I'm not saying that religion does not use or require critical thinking. The Church of the SJW hasn't progressed to the point where its laymen can use it in public, that's all.

Blogger John Wright August 06, 2015 3:11 PM  

"there are older Orthodox and Oriental churches. even if i grant you a heritage extending back to Peter, the church in Rome was one of the youngest established, certainly less senior than the churches in Asia Minor, the Levant and Egypt."

Before the Tenth Century, the Greek Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church were one and the same; likewise before the Council of Nicaea, the African Churches were one and the same.

Now, by the property of self-identity, no Church who is one and the same with another Church can be older than it, or younger, or anything.

My Church was founded in 30 AD, specifically, at Matthew 16:18. She was founded by Christ, not by Peter. Peter is merely the vicar of a higher prince.

Blogger John Wright August 06, 2015 3:14 PM  

And stop putting words in my mouth, Bob. I said "my Church" not "The Bishop of Rome". That kind of strawman argument bullshit is an SJW tactic, not something two gentlemen resort to when discussing matters in an intelligent and mature fashion.

Blogger James Dixon August 06, 2015 3:23 PM  

> I said "my Church"

And that was the line I took issue with, not being Bob. :) It's his Church, not ours. His power preserves it, not ours. To think otherwise is hubris. But I admit that merely reinforces the point you were making.

Blogger Cail Corishev August 06, 2015 3:59 PM  

C'mon, that's silly. We all use "my" to mean "the one I'm a member of," not just "the one that belongs to me." My family, my Church; my bacon and eggs, God's Church. The meaning is obvious.

Blogger James Dixon August 06, 2015 6:05 PM  

> The meaning is obvious.

No, it's not. If it were, I wouldn't have said anything.

Blogger Cail Corishev August 06, 2015 6:31 PM  

You thought that when John said "my/our Church," there was any chance he meant "the Church that belongs to me/us," not "the Church to which I/we belong"? Ok then.

Anonymous Eric the Red August 06, 2015 7:24 PM  

There is a more basic truth underlying the statement that SJW's always lie. Their standard terminology is always predicated on a subjective sliding scale. Thus they falsify the language itself by corrupting definitions.

Blogger automatthew August 06, 2015 7:45 PM  

Cail Corishev @101:

We teach them not to notice the different senses of the possessive pronoun—the finely graded differences that run from ‘my boots’ through ‘my dog’, ‘my servant’, ‘my wife’, ‘my father’, ‘my master’ and ‘my country’, to ‘my God’. They can be taught to reduce all these senses to that of ‘my boots’, the ‘my’ of ownership.

BTW, I sent you an email to the address listed on GitHub.

Blogger Groot August 07, 2015 1:11 AM  

I liked his book, Salt. I am disappointed, though, to learn that when taxed with portraying basic facts (available for free via, e.g., Google), he flags. I guess we all falter, still...

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts