ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2016 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Something related to games

I found this exchange on Twitter to be mildly amusing.
Vox Day ‏@voxday
#GamerGate Open Source projects are the current target of SJW entryists. They use Codes of Conduct to take control.

Stonehead ‏@stonehead
@voxday Could you guys please return to your caves, doing something related to games instead of misogyny? Thanks. #GamerGate

Vox Day ‏@voxday
@stonehead In addition to the 7 games I designed this year, the 3 games I am developing, and the game dev course I teach? #GamerGate
Speaking of the game dev course, I've had to take the time to do some infrastructure-building, get a little further down the road with regards to the games we're developing, and arrange to make it possible to let people outside this blog know that a modified version of the game development course I taught at the institute in Zürich is going to be available online. That's why the course did not begin this fall, but will instead begin in January, most likely on January 9th.

In order to make it accessible to everyone from Eastern Europe to the West Coast, the ten online sessions will be on Saturdays, beginning between 12 and 2 PM until 2 to 4 PM EST. Is there a strong preference for a specific start time in that window here? The structure will be about one hour of lecture, followed by 30 minutes of Q&A, followed by 15 minutes of me interviewing an industry expert, and 15 minutes of audience Q&A with the expert.

The price of the course is $199, but VP readers will receive a $49 discount if they sign up before my partners begin offering it to the public. Two people asked if they could contribute for scholarships; to do so, simply buy a course and let me know you want it to go to someone who can't afford it. If you would like to apply for a scholarship, don't do so now, but wait until I announce how many are available. I will be supplying several myself. As I previously mentioned, all Annual Brainstorm members are guaranteed a free seat if they want one; I will be sending out an email concerning this later today.

There are 500 seats for this first course, but due to the Institute students as well as a partnership with a technology incubator in a European city, it is possible they will fill up faster than one might expect. (Although based on some of the numbers the city representative was throwing around, I may need to do a completely separate course just for them, which would have the effect of creating more open seats here.) 40 seats are presently reserved for the institute, as many as 50 may be taken up by the Brainstorm members, but if you are interested in taking the course you can reserve a seat now.

Some comments from the previous course participants:
  • Great job, great course – you can expect a lot of practical knowledge and a lifetime experience from inside the industry – course is definitely worth the time and money invested! Last but not Least, Theodor is a great guy, as a person and as a mentor! Appreciated his honesty and way of spreading wisdom! 
  • These presentations are really interesting. I learn a lot and the stories and examples, while a bit lengthy, are fun to listen to and show a great deal of first hand experience. It's like getting a look behind the scenes.
  • For me the workshop gives a unique insight into areas of the game industry, which have been very elusive to me so far. Some might complain about the slightly scattered structure of the workshops, but I think that all the little anecdotes and narrated experiences are the real benefit of these sessions. They explain quite well what to expect of relevant companies, how the people interconnect and give hints where to dig deeper to solve other pending questions. Additionally I appreciate the opportunity to get a feedback on the concepts from someone from the industry, thus not on a academic scale, but well founded in the real life business.
  • Generally speaking, it was good and informative. He talked about different subjects and didn't get stuck on one topic. It was very good that he showed examples and made interactive discussions. It would be better, if he would also show examples of games when he speaks about the history of games and their mechanics.

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

Blogger Dave October 18, 2015 8:43 AM  

Blockhead never responded to your tweet? Must be busy crawling back into a cave.

I would have interest in contributing towards a scholarship fund but not purchasing a full course if you decide to setup a method to do so.

Blogger SirThermite (VFM #0025) October 18, 2015 8:47 AM  

Are those of us with annual brainstorm membership still guaranteed free seats? And if so, do we need to do something special to register?

Blogger VD October 18, 2015 8:49 AM  

Are those of us with annual brainstorm membership still guaranteed free seats? And if so, do we need to do something special to register?

Yes, absolutely. I will be sending out an email to you all today about that. And I'll edit the post to make it clear.

Blogger VD October 18, 2015 8:51 AM  

Blockhead never responded to your tweet? Must be busy crawling back into a cave.

Oh, he responded. Repeatedly and irrelevantly.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan October 18, 2015 9:07 AM  

Stonehead needs to submit to Islam, he being a simple minded low ranking male frustrated with life and his seemingly inability to land a hottie "princess."

That comes to me from the Greg Johnson review of "Submission" that leftard malelings are frustrated at their low sexual rank and quietly wishing for sexual dominance.

Blogger Were-Puppy October 18, 2015 9:17 AM  

What is the deadline for securing a seat?

Blogger VD October 18, 2015 9:21 AM  

What is the deadline for securing a seat?

When they run out. Between 41 and 91 are already gone. I can't be any more precise than that. Honestly, if you have a serious interest in getting into games, you shouldn't think twice about it. It's that important, especially if you're a student considering some sort of formal game schooling.

Blogger Dave October 18, 2015 9:30 AM  

Couldn't help myself took a look at the twitter exchange. It's hilarious when you throw in the "#1 political philosophy bestseller" line. And you got him to admit that codes of conduct are about "white or male privilege" Slightly disappointed you didn't tell him he's fat.

Blogger LP999/S.I.G. Burnin' Up! October 18, 2015 10:02 AM  

Awesome.

As for Vox's not too swift critics...Have they taught game dev, know the schools of econ, are they as multi-talented, published, well read and super intel as our host?

Nope.

Blogger Soga October 18, 2015 11:41 AM  

Will the course have textual transcripts, or is it only verbal?

Blogger James Dixon October 18, 2015 11:49 AM  

> ...instead of misogyny?

How did he get misogyny from that tweet? Does he thing all SJW's are women? That sounds vaguely... misogynistic.

Blogger James Dixon October 18, 2015 11:51 AM  

Why are my fingers typing thing for think lately? It's getting downright irritating, since I usually don't catch it. Sigh the perils of getting older and not having the vision you once had.

Blogger Doom October 18, 2015 12:45 PM  

I've always been curious about that. But I think it's either your thing or not your thing, and you probably know it before you go sniffing in that corner. I believe it is not my thing, for sure. Too damned obsessive/compulsive and... nerdy? Yeah. No offense, I am jealous of some nerditry, and have my own corners of it. It would be interesting to watch. Still, I think I'll leave it to the kiddies who want to 'go there'.

Blogger VD October 18, 2015 1:07 PM  

Will the course have textual transcripts, or is it only verbal?

I haven't decided yet. We did not do transcripts of the live course.

Blogger David-2 October 18, 2015 2:47 PM  

VD - I hope I didn't miss something obvious that would cause you to blast me with the withering glare of the Supreme Dark Lord - but your suggested timeframe above: what timezone would that be? (PST, EST?)

Quivering in fear awaiting your judgement - #415

Blogger Doc Rampage October 18, 2015 3:15 PM  

VD, I've always wanted to work in games but except for some hobby work on my own I never have. Would someone who is very senior in another area like, say, file systems or database kernels be able to move over to games without losing a lot of seniority or is the technology different enough that it would not be worthwhile?

Blogger VD October 18, 2015 4:28 PM  

I hope I didn't miss something obvious that would cause you to blast me with the withering glare of the Supreme Dark Lord - but your suggested timeframe above: what timezone would that be? (PST, EST?)

EST.

Would someone who is very senior in another area like, say, file systems or database kernels be able to move over to games without losing a lot of seniority or is the technology different enough that it would not be worthwhile?

Quite possibly, if it was in your area. But the games industry tends to be ahead of other industries in its implementations due to the sheer numbers and processing power required. That being said, if you've always wanted to work in games, you should take this course. You may learn that you did well to stay out of it.

Blogger Groot October 19, 2015 3:12 AM  

@16. Doc Rampage:
"I've always wanted to work in games"

Everyone wants to work in games, and that's why it pays shit. When I left games, I immediately earned four times what I had been earning. Plus I wasn't surrounded by idiots (relatively speaking). I went from $60k to $240k overnight, and the trajectory went from relatively flat to asymptotically approaching vertical. Hobby work pays hobby pay. I went from driving an Oldsmobile boat to a Lexus with a Nakamichi sound system; from renting to owning the awesome property; from fear to private schools for my kids. Games: "You may learn that you did well to stay out of it." Indeed, and well said.

Blogger VD October 19, 2015 4:36 AM  

When I left games, I immediately earned four times what I had been earning.

And part of why you were able to do so is because you had showed that you could succeed in the highly competitive games industry. The big tech companies recognize that the game guys are the tech elite. It's a better education and diploma than college even if it's not a way of life for you.

Blogger Eli Owen October 19, 2015 8:35 AM  

From time to time I try to teach myself programming for the sole purpose of game development. I don't get very far because I don't know which one to start with. There are actually lots of resources for beginners out there too surprisingly.

Blogger Groot October 19, 2015 3:32 PM  

@19 VD:

Probably true, at that. I have known some guys who truly raked in the filthy lucre from games. They were invariably the entrepreneurs, though, or had that force strong within them. Nowadays the industry is much bigger, too, swamping movies. But it is like Hollywood, where you're competing with people who would do it for nothing, and really only the superstars take all the glory.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts