Saturday, January 02, 2016

The new battleground

George Kirby throws down a gauntlet.
Look – you will be represented in accordance with your numbers. It’s just that you have really small numbers. That’s why you got your ass handed to you during the vote. And its going to get smaller. Once EPH goes into effect people will stop forking over $40 just because Bard/Larry/Vox tells them them TOR is controlling the Hugos. Again – look at the Goodreads Choice Awards. How are the pups doing? Why don’t you freep that? Because you can’t. Your numbers are tiny.
It's remarkable how SJWs keep doing the same thing over and over again. I seem to recall when John Scalzi told us that instead of complaining about the increasingly poor quality of the fiction that was winning Hugo awards, we should get involved, nominate, and vote. And instead of being praised for that, we were attacked, vilified, and abused by the deviants of Fandom.

In the event that we follow Mr. Kirby's suggestion and are successful in 2016, does anyone think he will congratulate us? Or will we meet with more vilification? I think we can guess given this pair of mind-boggling assertions on his part.

"Scalzi writes good stuff and doesn’t call you anything."

In any event, there is really only one way to find out. I created my Goodreads account yesterday, as it is clear that with Amazon increasingly policing their reviews, Goodreads has become a primary locus of effort for SJWs. It's time to for us to start contesting that territory; create an account there and friend me. If you've already got a Goodreads account, friend me. You can also follow my author page there. And then start rating. Don't worry about writing reviews for now, just hit the ratings for the time being.

You can also join the new Goodreads group: Rabid Puppies.

The other thing to do is to flag all of the attack reviews. For example, an SJW named Aaah tried to pass this off as a one-star review of SJWAL:
Ah, Vox Day. This gif reflects how I feel whenever I hear/read him argue about something, which I've been doing since reading A Throne of Bones (a fantasy novel by Vox Day so bad it may cause indelible fits of laughter).

Unlike with A Throne of Bones, I didn't actually read SJWs Always Lie.

I didn't have to. It's all in the title.

1. Because Vox Day's horde - and I swear to god, they're a "horde" he calls "the Dread Ilk" - have given the book 5 star ratings across the board on Amazon. They actually gather online to discuss "tactics", as they're now doing for the 2016 Hugo Awards. I am not making this up. Day, who failed at destroying the 2015 Hugo Awards, is actually happily sneering at liberal speculative fiction writers, using fandom's post-Hugo celebratory time to (I swear) try and plan a sneak attack. His own words.

"Sneak attack." No fucking irony.

2. Vox Day's inability to grasp irony makes its way to the book title. Because Vox Day is, I've decided in the time since reading A Throne of Bones (somehow not explicitly subtitled Jesus is the Light of the World and Also Women Are Timid, Frail, Innocent Creatures Which Ought to Be Ruled By Men) an actual idiot....

It takes a real toilet-clogger to earn 1-star based on title alone, but Day did it.

Congratulations, Einstein.
Of course, because SJWs Always Lie, it's apparent that he didn't read ATOB either. Goodreads is already aware it has a problem with SJWs posting DISQUALIFY reviews like this; some of them still complain about the great review Purge that began in 2013 after it announced a policy that banned reviews like the one quoted above.
**Delete content focused on author behavior. We have had a policy of removing reviews that were created primarily to talk about author behavior from the community book page. Once removed, these reviews would remain on the member’s profile. Starting today, we will now delete these entirely from the site. We will also delete shelves and lists of books on Goodreads that are focused on author behavior.
With that in mind, in addition to rating whatever books you've read, those participating should go through the various reviews of the books of the Castalia House authors and flag every review that contains content focused on author behavior rather than on the book itself.

Labels: ,


Anonymous Ahazuerus January 02, 2016 6:58 AM  

I will.

Anonymous Rigel Kent January 02, 2016 7:06 AM  

Just tried to friend you but got an error message saying the request could not be sent. I'll try again later and if it's still not working I'll contact Goodreads about it.

Blogger Doom January 02, 2016 7:24 AM  

Follow you!?! You, Kratman, Hoyt, and Wright... probably some others when I get my life back together. Yeah, and a bunch of high ratings. Though nothing youall don't deserve, mind you. Which reminds me, I need to read more books. Can't rate them if I haven't read them. Bleh.

Blogger Doom January 02, 2016 7:30 AM  

Ah, having trouble friending you also. The other authors don't even have a means of friending them, yet. Just remember, I'm a lazy friend. If you accept, don't expect a whole lot. If dinner is close enough, or you send transport, I might could do that. But if you get snowed in, I'll only send the picture of a snow shovel. Just... sayin'.

Blogger Phillip George January 02, 2016 7:48 AM  

are Amazon as bad as they seem. the worst sort of SJW corporate whores?
this would be funny but people like Aaah are running rampart in universities, sucking at the public tax teat and employed to write immigration policies.

OT, in other news 9nania has 35,000+ hits of her youtube eschatology number cruncher. Among other things 10 Jan is a new moon signifying the end to an extra late fall, and exactly 70 years since the first general assembly of the United Nations. Daniels second 70 yrs perhaps. If she's right, everything else pales to distant insignificance. be alert not alarmed.

Blogger VD January 02, 2016 8:07 AM  

Just tried to friend you but got an error message saying the request could not be sent.

In the meantime, follow.

Blogger Salt January 02, 2016 8:08 AM  

That guy even marked SJWs as read. I flagged it.

Blogger Seer January 02, 2016 8:11 AM  

Vox would have to be your friend on fb or in your contacts to be friended on Goodreads, as they have it set up right now.

Alternatively, Vox could start a Goodreads group or join one, and people could access his profile page from there and friend him, or he could link to his personal Goodreads profile page, which would be easiest.

Blogger Wrangler January 02, 2016 8:15 AM  

I'm in, followed and rated TIA, SJWAL, and Cuck. Standing by for additional instructions.

Blogger Emmett Fitz-Hume January 02, 2016 8:27 AM  

Just friended you under the name Fractal Rabbit

Anonymous #8601 Jean Valjean January 02, 2016 8:31 AM  

For those who have wondered about VD's sense of humor, his Goodreads security question should lay those fears to rest.

Blogger VD January 02, 2016 8:32 AM  

Okay, I created a Goodreads group called Rabid Puppies. I'll need a pair of moderators to run it; if you are VFM and wish to do so, email me.

Blogger Ahazuerus January 02, 2016 8:32 AM  

I have to ask:

Who the fuck is George Kirby?

Anonymous HongKongCharlie January 02, 2016 8:36 AM  

Almost flunked his security question till I noticed it was a one word answer. Removed Rape Rape Martin from consideration.

Blogger Doom January 02, 2016 8:47 AM  

Gah! I am almost sure I know her name. I keep "forgetting". Oh, is it "the xxxxxm horror"? Is that the name? I'll give it a shot.

Blogger VD January 02, 2016 8:47 AM  

Totally wrong track, Doom.

Anonymous Just a Housewife January 02, 2016 9:03 AM  

#8 You do not have to be a facebook friend or have him in your contact list. I couldn't do it on my kindle app. Had to go to my desktop. I brought up one of his books, clicked on his name to get his profile. Next to Follow Author is a dropdown box that allows you to send a friend request. Good luck with the security question. My memory not being what it used to be, I had a few hits and misses, but I'm in!

Blogger Ahazuerus January 02, 2016 9:16 AM  

Rape Rape just announced that Winds of Winter is not finished and will not be published before Series Six airs in April.

So many rapes ... so little time, eh, George?

Anonymous #8601 Jean Valjean January 02, 2016 9:17 AM  

This post is yet another example of Vox publicly telling the enemy what he's going to do before he does it, just like Babe Ruth.

That's f-ing bold, man.

Blogger doug whiddon January 02, 2016 9:20 AM  

We really need to do some work on the Hugo's this year. Get Gamergate stirred up and involved. Anyone attending other Cons should talk about it. Se if we can get some names to talk about it (like Larry Corriea, for example). Bulk up our numbers. I didn't vote last year, but I will this year.

Anonymous George of the Jungle January 02, 2016 9:27 AM  

SJW advice:

"There is no war."
"You're losing."
"You've already lost."
"Just do what we tell you."
"You're dumb and we know best."

They can't seem to make up their minds... it's like a bunch of space aliens came to earth and decided to practice their English.

Anonymous Steveo January 02, 2016 9:30 AM  

George Kirby is screaming to be herd; "I am herd, you are not herd."
Apparently, resistance is futile... creepy.

Blogger Were-Puppy January 02, 2016 9:43 AM  

Don't know if you guys are aware of a website called Library Thing. It's a good place to put your library of books (if you have time). You can also put your reviews there. Then you can copy it to Amazon or where ever, without having to worry it getting deleted. At least, so far.

Blogger VD January 02, 2016 9:44 AM  

Get Gamergate stirred up and involved.

One does not "get GamerGate" to do anything. GamerGate will do as it collectively pleases, as it always does.

Blogger Were-Puppy January 02, 2016 9:45 AM  

Speaking of Kirbys...

Jack Kirby was the "king".
Kirby vacuums last half your lifetime.

I believe this one is probably more like the amorphous pink nintendo blob.

Blogger Dave January 02, 2016 10:13 AM  

I swear Steveo you meant heard by the horde; or was it herded by the horde? The irony, I swear, cannot be grasped or graphed or grappled.

Blogger Doseux January 02, 2016 10:19 AM  

Ah, to wake up with matching orders in your ear! Actually, that wouldn't be so fun in real life, but here it makes me smile.

Right now I've only read TIA, SJWAL, Cuckservative, TWBW: Vol. X, and Summa Elvetica. (What can I say? I am impoverished financially, which leads to a deeper intellectual impoverishment.) Of those, the last is the only one I wouldn't rate five-star, as it reads like only the first half of a novel. Realistically, I'd rate it a three (or four if I was feeling very optimistic).

I'll trawl through the reviews and see if I can't find anything.

Also, it doesn't seem like Volume X is on Goodreads at the moment. Not sure how to fix that.

Blogger Mint January 02, 2016 10:27 AM  

Created a goodread's account and flagged a review of ATOB as inappropriate which talking about your conduct and not the book's content.

Blogger Jon January 02, 2016 10:41 AM  

Seriously, what's a George Kirby. Assuming he isn't one of the zombie dead, he seems to be a non-entity on the internet.

Blogger Red Bane January 02, 2016 10:50 AM  

Signed up, 'friended', rated. All good

Blogger Red Bane January 02, 2016 10:54 AM  

Flagged quite a few 'conduct' reviews. Get busy folks. Work to be done.

Anonymous Leonidas January 02, 2016 10:58 AM  

Good to see this - I've been quite surprised that Castalia was so poorly represented on GoodReads. But given the issues going on there, it's also probably better to hit it in force rather than individually.

On the plus side, GoodReads is owned by Amazon now - and Amazon has shown willingness to more-or-less-fairly police its reviews. I think a concerted effort here will yield real results.

Anyhow, I've had an account there for some time, so followed and friended as requested. I'll up the time I spend there as well, and be sure to rate and flag more than I have been.

Anonymous Leonidas January 02, 2016 11:20 AM  

I've got a dollar that says the SJWs flag the Rabid Puppies group before the weekend is through.

Blogger Seer January 02, 2016 11:21 AM  

I haven't used Goodreads from anything but my phone in months. Good to know. Sad they can't build the same functionality into the mobile.

Blogger Were-Puppy January 02, 2016 11:39 AM  

It's easy to go on a tangent there looking for stupid 1 star reviews. I was flagging even on the black book of communism :P

Blogger VD January 02, 2016 11:39 AM  

I've been quite surprised that Castalia was so poorly represented on GoodReads. But given the issues going on there, it's also probably better to hit it in force rather than individually.

I deleted my account and requested removal of my author's page after it became clear they were doing nothing to prevent abusive attacks in the form of reviews. After Amazon bought them, they adopted a new policy in late 2013 and purged a lot of the anti-author reviews and shelves, though not all. To be honest, I hadn't even looked at it in years, but now that Chaos Horizons and others are using it, it's time to get involved.

It's somewhat of a pity we just missed the most recent awards, but no worries, we'll be more prepared next November anyhow.

Anonymous Ironbear January 02, 2016 11:55 AM  

"It's time to for us to start contesting that territory; create an account there and friend me. " - VD


All the same, I haven't read any of your books as of yet, so I'm not rating for now. I prefer to not rate (or review) anything I haven't read.

"I think we can guess given this pair of mind-boggling assertions on his part.

'Scalzi writes good stuff and doesn’t call you anything.'" - VD

Snerk. I see you caught my and George Kirby's little interaction at Brad's. Yeah, Kirby's not only a putz, he's a dishonest putz.

Anonymous Rolf January 02, 2016 12:01 PM  

I still say the spokes-manatee should be named Hugh. Joined.

Oh, well, I'm easily amused by simple puns. I plan on working a "Brownian motion" joke into a scene with highly active monks wearing their habits.

Anonymous A Minion January 02, 2016 12:10 PM  

As the Dark Lord wishes, the minions humbly obey. Accounts will be created this weekend. Off to mix a martini. Except instead of salt, I like to rub a little SJW blood around the rim...

Anonymous nathan January 02, 2016 12:11 PM  

Wow, after three years, they don't get that the actual awards were the extra point, not the touchdown for us. (This year might be different. Sad Puppies doesn't have the same aims, unfortunately. The convention crowd is being appeased.) Anyway, we have enough numbers that the only way to beat us this year at the nominations is to bloc vote, and destroy what they want to save.

Convention fandim delenda est.

Blogger VD January 02, 2016 12:11 PM  

All the same, I haven't read any of your books as of yet, so I'm not rating for now. I prefer to not rate (or review) anything I haven't read.

Obviously. I discourage people from falsely rating or reviewing a book, although I reserve the right to do so when reprisals and deterrents are necessary. But you can certainly flag false and abusive reviews.

Anonymous Jill January 02, 2016 12:27 PM  

Goodreads is such a cesspool.

Anonymous Leonidas January 02, 2016 12:29 PM  


After Amazon bought them, they adopted a new policy in late 2013 and purged a lot of the anti-author reviews and shelves, though not all.

Yeah, my wife got kind of upset a year or three back at all of the very obviously fake reviews on a lot of SP/RP related stuff. A couple on some of your books that were even straight up saying, "I'm NEVER going to read this book, but..." and then giving it one stars. She flagged a bunch of them and then watched as... nothing happened.

Things have definitely improved since Amazon bought them, though, and I suspect that if the right kind of attention is drawn things will improve even more. They're not exactly allies, but we can pretty well count on Amazon to be focused on dollars. Given the way they've policed their own reviews, I think Amazon more than most has figured out that user driven ratings systems are major lawsuits waiting to happen from businesses that are affected by anything less than valid reviews. Give it another ten years of case law and the online review landscape is going to look drastically different than it does today.

The SJWs haven't figured out how vulnerable they are to these lawsuits yet. IMO, our side should start using them more when appropriate.

Blogger dh January 02, 2016 12:48 PM  

Idiots. They always double down.

Blogger dh January 02, 2016 12:48 PM  

Idiots. They always double down.

Anonymous Rolf January 02, 2016 12:50 PM  

@43 - I think they want to make money. Honest reviews are worth more in the long-term, and they are nothing if not long-term thinking (at least compared to most companies).

Anonymous Ironbear January 02, 2016 1:14 PM  

" But you can certainly flag false and abusive reviews."

*nod* Certainly.

Blogger Achillea January 02, 2016 1:18 PM  

Already had an account, logged in and friended you. Also flagged that asinine review, while I was about it.

Blogger Salt January 02, 2016 1:19 PM  

Goodreads is such a cesspool.

A few authors warned me about GR after I had joined. Cesspool was the word they used. But it's getting better since Amazon took over.

Blogger Nick S January 02, 2016 1:19 PM  

@44 & 45

Intentional or not, that made me laugh.

Anonymous KoranBurningFaggot January 02, 2016 1:29 PM  

Once EPH goes into effect people will stop forking over $40 just because Bard/Larry/Vox tells them them TOR is controlling the Hugos.

Their side was the one that had to provide "scholarships" because tranny crack hoes can only afford to spend that kind of money on cigs and drugs. What was EPH again? Don't all things that restrict voting hurt non Asian minorities the most because they are too stupid and lazy?

OpenID Jack Amok January 02, 2016 1:40 PM  

I haven't paid attention to Goodreads for years, but I'll start up again.

As an interesting aside, a little time clicking links from Vox's page there brought me to an old Black Gate column of Vox's (d.b.a. Theo), with this comment from a former SFWA member Dave T:

I personally got fed up with the cliques, in-fighting, nastiness, politics, and all the rest of it, which is why I resigned my Bulletin editorship in 2002 and let my membership lapse a year or so later.

SFWA turns (too many)inherently pleasant people into snarky, mean animals after awhile and I found myself turning into one such and decided I’d had enough, that I didn’t like who I was turning into.

More fuel for the "Burn it all down and don't bother to rebuild" bonfire.

Anonymous Leonidas January 02, 2016 2:05 PM  

@46: Absolutely agreed.

Blogger Achilles January 02, 2016 2:26 PM  

Honored by your Goodreads friendship. No safe spaces for the SJWs.

Anonymous Jill January 02, 2016 2:52 PM  

I had forgotten about Amazon taking over Goodreads. I was already done with it by that point. Maybe I should go sheck eet out.

Blogger Groot January 02, 2016 3:01 PM  

Holy Samoly, Mint. Is that really your picture? What a cutie.


Anonymous RP sign-up January 02, 2016 3:53 PM  

If anyone has signed up for Rabid Puppies but hasn't yet been approved, 1) get the question right, 2) don't have a private account, and 3) not a bad idea to have a few books listed and rated.

Blogger weka January 02, 2016 6:57 PM  

I think I read about 200 books on average a year: I've slowed down recently. Goodreads is continually reminding me of people I have read.

Let's say I don't have many filters. And the application to the Rabid Puppies group is in: main question is who is bigger than the Lord of the Evil and who can be the next manatee?

Anonymous lr_vfm5411 January 02, 2016 7:22 PM  


A lot of the reviews of Opera Vita Aeterna were... just shy of being obvious I-didnt-read-it-hit-jobs.

"Oh, and the author's horrible views, and the prose was turgid and dull, and there was no point to the story"

Just enough opinion re the story so they can have a fig leaf of "it's a matter of taste".

A couple deserved to be noted and spanked as being somewhat over that line.

Blogger SteelPalm January 02, 2016 11:30 PM  

I've been on Goodreads for many years and have many of the most popular one-star reviews for SJW science fiction.

That review Vox linked to? I have already flagged it half a dozen times in as many months. Nothing happened.

Now, the founders of Goodreads are Ayn Rand-loving libertarian types, and they're presently owned by Amazon. Unfortunately, the mods are all SJWs run amok.

I would STRONGLY advise those signing up to become librarians and then try to "climb the ladder" of influence on the site.

Blogger Culture War Draftee January 02, 2016 11:39 PM  

I'm a bit OCD when it comes to books. I like the listing aspect of GR and Library Thing. But, the social aspect can be truly bug-'kin nuts. I read about the "Stop the Goodreads Bullies" bit a while back. YA people are crazy.

My use of GR has been all positive though. I mostly just use it to track what I've read. I've done a few reviews, none of which are controversial. About the only social thing I've done is creating lists. I have a few books under my name, one of which led to a funny story, but are mostly ignored.

Anonymous DarthWheatley #2415 January 03, 2016 12:00 AM  

Done, and done.

Welcome to the jungle, we got fun and games...

Blogger Patrick January 03, 2016 4:58 AM  

Applied to the group as Patrick W., and, lucky me, I knew the manatee's name. I understand if you don't want to admit me, as I am a "fly under the radar" type as far as it is possible to be these days.

Blogger Mint January 03, 2016 10:37 AM  

@56 Groot
Yes, it is me. Thank you. *blushing*

Just remember, there are make up, camera tricks, filters, photoshop, edits etc. nowadays. *winks*

Is that really your picture? What a groot-tie!

Blogger Groot January 03, 2016 2:43 PM  


Make up and a little touch up are a woman's prerogative, and we like it. I, on the other hand, am entirely computer-generated.


Blogger Laramie Hirsch January 03, 2016 11:37 PM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts