Saturday, February 06, 2016

Rabid Puppies 2016: Best Semiprozine

The preliminary recommendations for Best Semiprozine category:
  • Abyss & Apex
  • Beneath Ceaseless Skies
  • Daily Science Fiction
  • Sci-Phi Journal
  • Strange Horizons
On a related note, Mike Glyer of File 770 replies to demands that he repudiate my recommendation of his site for Best Fanzine.
People I respect have suggested I publicly demand that Vox Day remove File770 from the Rabid Puppies slate. Then having done so, if Day fails to comply and I ultimately receive a Hugo nomination, they feel I can accept it with a clear conscience.

If I understand Steve Davidson correctly, he wants everyone to make a public statement repudiating slates. I don’t think people are unclear on how I feel about slates, thus it really becomes a question whether — by modeling that behavior — I want to encourage Steve to go around hammering people who don’t post the equivalent of an oath. I don’t.

Consider this point. I have been planning to nominate Black Gate because I’ve been reading it since last year’s Hugo contretemps brought it to my attention, and think they do a terrific job. What if they don’t make a public declaration? Should I leave them off my ballot? And thereby fail to do what I tell every other Hugo voter to do, nominate the stuff they think is the best?

I’m not voting for Black Gate because of a slate, and I don’t intend to be prevented from voting for it by a factor that has nothing to do with what I think about the quality of its work. That’s also why I’m choosing not to follow the advice I received about handling File 770’s appearance on the slate, though the advice is well intended.
As I have repeatedly stated, what I recommend is no one else's concern or responsibility, regardless of why I chose to recommend it. Mike is doing the right thing by simply playing it straight, letting the cards fall where they may, and not worrying about how many people happen to share my preferences.

Other 2016 Hugo categories

Labels: ,


Anonymous VFM #6306 February 06, 2016 8:46 AM  

Hilarious. File 770 only knew about Black Gate, the greatest print magazine in the industry of the 1st decade of the 21st Century, and then best blog, run by the creator of of the slate of Rabid Puppies.

The Hugos came pre-destroyed.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan February 06, 2016 8:49 AM  

Be interesting to see if Mike can withstand the female social dominance game that is SJWdom

Blogger Salt February 06, 2016 9:27 AM  

Vox is camping out in their heads as he seems to be owning the comments @file770.

Blogger Nate February 06, 2016 9:57 AM  

I wonder if Mike realizes that this statement:

"Consider this point. I have been planning to nominate Black Gate because I’ve been reading it since last year’s Hugo contretemps brought it to my attention, and think they do a terrific job. "

Proves everything the puppies have been saying is correct...

Anonymous MidWestCon member February 06, 2016 10:46 AM  

OT:  It's Feb. 6 and still no Hugo PIN for me.

Anonymous TS February 06, 2016 11:05 AM  

"But he’s too invested in his image as a cool cynical manipulator..."

Heh heh heh, that's Vox.

Blogger Dave February 06, 2016 12:31 PM  

Good point Nate. It also doesn't quite square with this from Vox when he recommended them for Best Fanzine: "File 770, for all that it has been said...does an excellent job of chronicling events in the SF/F world across the ideological spectrum. Mike Glyer's fan-flagship site continues to be a must-read for anyone even remotely interested in science fiction."

More mind games from Vox?

Anonymous VFM #6306 February 06, 2016 12:36 PM  

File 770: Putting the "semi" in semipro.

Anonymous Yooper Party February 06, 2016 12:52 PM  

File 770: putting the "se" in Goatse...

Blogger J Van Stry February 06, 2016 1:20 PM  

Can anybody remind me of where File770 and Mike stood on slates last year?

Blogger JACIII February 06, 2016 1:52 PM  

@file770:The worms squirm.

Blogger JACIII February 06, 2016 1:59 PM  

@file770:The worms squirm.

Anonymous VFM #6306 February 06, 2016 2:25 PM  

Mike acknowledged that the Hugos were openly slate-based from inception, citing Philcon 2 or something back in the 1960s, encouraging membership and slates to get the best works noticed.

Slates are a fundamental premise behind the Hugos, and Mike knows it. There is nothing controversial about them.

They just didn't know what to do when outsiders joined the party and started picking better candidates. It made them look retarded.

Fandom as remedial science fiction is a very discouraging thing when you had convinced yourselves you were secret kings, and little boys were seemingly coming on to you right and left because of it.

See also The King in Yellow.

Mike is the keeper of their paper crowns but he is sane enough not to try one on himself.

Blogger Jason February 06, 2016 2:52 PM  

Thanks for the recommendation!

Blogger Jason February 06, 2016 2:53 PM  

Thanks for the recommendation!

Blogger tublecane February 06, 2016 3:19 PM  

Why does anyone still use the word "zine?"

Blogger tublecane February 06, 2016 3:20 PM  

Why does anyone still use the word "zine?"

Blogger VFM #7191 February 06, 2016 3:28 PM  

Paul Weimer (@princejvstin) on February 6, 2016 at 4:59 am said:

Dear Mr Beale,

Putting stuff on your slate just to mess with people and try to make their honest opinions about the Hugos and Hugo nominees harder just makes you a bigger fuckwit than you previously were. Which is saying something.

No love,

Lol. They mad.

Blogger Derrick Bonsell February 06, 2016 4:29 PM  

It goes without saying, but I just want to remind everyone, none of this should be construed as an order to support.

Anonymous No February 06, 2016 6:54 PM  

People don't even use the word "magazine" anymore. Not in reference to something you read, at least.


Posting a whine at File 770 makes you more of a child-rape enabler than you already were.

Which is saying something.

Go die,


Blogger Ahazuerus February 06, 2016 11:27 PM  

"... not worrying about how many people happen to share my preferences."

How many VFM are there now? One thing the SJWs haven't realised yet is that they are the primary drivers of VFM reproduction; every time they fuck something good we multiply.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts