Wednesday, April 27, 2016

The greatest Prince story ever

Fallon's story is entirely consistent with my own encounters with Prince as well as everything I ever heard about him. I have absolutely no doubt that it's true.

"Ask your boy...."


Blogger slarrow April 27, 2016 5:23 PM  

Huh. Dude was an epic troll in real life.

Anonymous VFM #6306 April 27, 2016 5:31 PM  

That story is excellent. Favorite part is not knowing Prince had his number...Fallon gets a text that says "He wants to see you," and Fallon knew who "He" was.

Now my question is if he acted like this before he got huge or not, because in a way it seems like a way of making real life happen through the absurd, but I always get the sense that he just got a kick out of doing stuff like that regardless of fame.

Anonymous trk April 27, 2016 5:34 PM  


Anonymous p-dawg April 27, 2016 6:16 PM  

This is definitely a great story, but I still like Charlie Murphy's basketball and pancakes story better. It may just be the Dave Chappelle re-enactment, though.

Blogger bob k. mando April 27, 2016 6:45 PM  

4. p-dawg April 27, 2016 6:16 PM
but I still like Charlie Murphy's basketball and pancakes story better.

no, that's because cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Anonymous Wooly Phlox April 27, 2016 7:14 PM  

That was fun to watch.

He was one of, I suppose, my top ten favorite living musicians.

I shed a few single, manly tears in the last couple of days.

I wonder what Eddie Van Halen's reaction to the end of "Let's go Crazy" looked like.

I'm guessing it was priceless.

Anonymous Wooly Phlox April 27, 2016 7:25 PM  

If there were a "Greatest Living Musician" award, I'd nominate Bobby McFerrin, I think.

Been studying under him -- an accurate phrase -- for twenty five years.

When Bobby goes Home (as we all do), there will be world-wide mourning, then a global explosion of singing and music, the likes of which the world has never seen. Here's him doing what he did best, with a Prince song.

Man, oh man.

Anonymous Laz April 27, 2016 7:38 PM  

@5. bob k. mando

"no, that's because cocaine is a hell of a drug."

Even though it fits, that's the Rick James skit, not the Prince skit. Have another beer.

Blogger Stg58/Animal Mother April 27, 2016 8:07 PM  

I've been reading everything about his otherworldly guitar skills, so I started listening to the XM tribute channel so I could hear it for myself.

I can barely detect anything I can recognize as a guitar in any of his songs. Is it because he made a guitar not sound like a guitar or is there something else?

Blogger YIH April 27, 2016 8:28 PM  

Today lesson:
If you don't already have a will, GET ONE DONE.
That's right NO. WILL.
This is going to be a cluster. No idea of Minnesota law, but I do know what a disaster it can be if someone of that level of wealth and assets croaks without a least a will.
Remember Joe Robbie? If you're familiar with the NFL I don't doubt you do recognize that name. Founder and first owner of the Miami Dolphins, privately financed and built the stadium they still currently call home.
Died. No will. Not only did it take years to sort everything out, the IRS absolutely butt-raped the estate, forcing the sale of both the team and stadium. Luckily that was when Blockbuster Video (also now deceased) was at it's peak, so it's honcho bought them.
Ironically, Joe Robbie was a lawyer, go figure.

Anonymous Wooly Phlox April 27, 2016 8:39 PM  

I hear his sister is his only legal heir, as a result of No Will.

Then the Space Raptor called I.R.S. steps in, with a flourish, and something witty.

Then all 2,000 or so Vault-worthy (and not Warner Bros.-worthy) tracks get given to WB, as they sue to get them.

No, I'm not cynical at all. I hope she makes her own label, and releases a lot of albums on it.

Castalia House has a ring to it.

Blogger Lazarus April 27, 2016 10:17 PM  

Nothing Good Can Come of This

Blogger Miss Carnivorous April 27, 2016 11:35 PM  

Stg58, I have become obsessed with Toy Caldwell of The Marshall Tucker Band's guitar skills.

Marshall Tucker Band - Blue Ridge Mountain Skies - BBC TV Show - YouTube

That having been said, though I never much noticed Prince's guitar playing, he was a genius. A total original. Nobody else like him.

Anonymous rubberducky April 27, 2016 11:51 PM  

Awesome and hilarious Prince stories from Fallon.

OpenID April 28, 2016 12:44 AM  

For anyone who hasn't heard it, Prince comments on Chappelle's basketball skit...

Blogger pdwalker April 28, 2016 11:25 AM  


No, I did not. Thanks for that!

Blogger CashBailey April 30, 2016 12:02 AM  

Kevin Smith's epic story about shooting a documentary for Prince is just mind-blowing. Probably the most revealing thing about Prince ever done.

And the reason Smith got away with telling this stuff, he explained in a later special, is that the day he started shooting they handed him a Non Disclosure Agreement to sign. He's like "Sure, I'll do it in a minute..." He put the papers down and never saw them again.

Apparently Prince was extremely pissed off and they tore apart Paisley Park looking for his NDA. But he had never signed one so there was nothing they could do.

Blogger Snorri April 30, 2016 2:24 AM

nice, 1st avenue.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts