Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Brings the Lightning now in paperback

As numerous people have been asking me the same question, let me be perfectly clear: ALL CASTALIA HOUSE BOOKS WILL APPEAR IN PRINT, SOONER OR LATER. As various facts on the ground have changed, we have modified our original ebook-mostly strategy accordingly and will now be publishing print editions of all our books.

To be specific, most books will appear in both hardcover and paperback in our standard size, 8.5 x 5.5. They will generally run from 12.99 to 16.99 for paperbacks and 19.99 to 24.99 for hardcovers, depending upon the pagecount. We will NOT be doing the Amazon matchbook thing because our ebooks come out first. Nor will we provide any information about when any given print edition will come out because there are too many factors to make any prediction meaningful.

Larger books, such as the There Will Be War omnibuses and the Selenoth books, will appear in both hardcover and paperback in our large size, 9.2 x 6.1. All hardcovers in both sizes will be casebound. Smaller books, like Mutiny in Space, will be paperback only, but will be collected in three-volume 8.5 x 5.5 hardcover omnibuses.

We are ramping up our print production capabilities thanks to our indefatigable Production Editor and a number of volunteers. As noted in the title, Brings the Lightning is now available in paperback for $12.99. The next books to appear in print editions will be:

Iron Chamber of Memory, John C. Wright (HC,PB)
Mutiny in Space, Rod Walker (PB)
The End of the World as We Knew It, Nick Cole (HC,PB)

All four of these books are expected to be available in July. At our current rate of production, we anticipate releasing two ebooks and four print books for a total of ten editions every month.

Labels: ,


Blogger JP June 28, 2016 9:14 AM  

I'm a simple man, I see a South African author, I buy his books.

Anonymous 0007 June 28, 2016 9:31 AM  

IS there any way to purchase hard-copy editions directly from the pub? Rather not give Amazon any of my hard earned FRNs. I'm thinking not if they are being printed in Iceland.

Blogger YIH June 28, 2016 9:35 AM  

LOL @ the new tag - I didn't think you could change tags globally like that. I checked, it goes back at least 10 years.

Anonymous T15 June 28, 2016 9:37 AM  

audiobooks coming?

Blogger VD June 28, 2016 9:40 AM  

IS there any way to purchase hard-copy editions directly from the pub?

Yes, but you'd need to buy in quantity and probably live in the UK for it to make much sense.

Blogger T15 June 28, 2016 9:49 AM  

audiobooks coming?

Anonymous VFM #6306 June 28, 2016 9:59 AM  

So, it seems as if you are saying that this blog post won't be adapted to a movie right away.

Please justify.

Blogger Ilíon June 28, 2016 10:50 AM  

One expects a novel called "Brings the Lightening" to be a bodice-ripper.

Blogger pyrrhus June 28, 2016 11:03 AM  

O/T The Missionaries is a rollicking good read! Reminds me of the great Flashman series, and also Evelyn Waugh and Gwyn Griffin....Five stars for sure!

Blogger VD June 28, 2016 11:04 AM  

Excellent. Be sure to post a review there. We would like to see it over 25 reviews by tomorrow.

Anonymous Leonidas June 28, 2016 11:12 AM  

I've said it before in other places, but I'll leave it out here again: when "Book of Feasts and Seasons" comes out in paperback, I'll be buying several copies to donate to my church library. Will be doing the same with "Iron Chamber of Memory."

FWIW, I've heard firsthand from the librarian that they're basically desperate for good fiction that is compatible with Catholic/Christian teaching. People are asking for it all the time. They simply can't find enough to fill the void. I'm betting that this phenomenon extends well beyond my own parish.

Anonymous entropic envoy June 28, 2016 11:18 AM  

While I am grateful to the various elements of the 'Dark Enlightenment' for awakening me, I am not happy about it, with one exception. I am delighted to be introduced to a slew of new authors most of whose work I would have remained unaware.

Anonymous Susan June 28, 2016 11:29 AM  

Say now, you aren't by any chance proud of the achievement of a certain book in the humor category are you??

Neat way to keep us up to date on stuff like that.

Blogger FALPhil June 28, 2016 11:53 AM  

@13 It appears that we have a spammer with a sense of humor. I was surprised to see Singapore instead of Nigeria.

Anonymous Leonidas June 28, 2016 12:16 PM  


1. John Scalzi
2. 1-555-IAM-GAMA
3. Attn: John Scalzi
C/O Tor Books
175 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10010
4. $3.4 million
5. 10 years
6. To write mediocre send-offs of sci-fi greats.
7. United States
8. See above.
9. Wanker
10. 47, indeterminate
11. Higher than Vox Day's

Anonymous Baseball Savant June 28, 2016 12:32 PM  


do you think you guys will ever publish Throne of Bones in hardback?

Blogger VD June 28, 2016 12:46 PM  

We know we will. It will be in trade paperback as well. Both before the end of the year.

Blogger pyrrhus June 28, 2016 1:06 PM  

@VD--I'll post a review later today...probably the best new novel I've read in ten years.

Blogger S1AL June 28, 2016 1:50 PM  

Vox, in the interest of total clarity, could you comprehensibly define "sooner or later" for us?

Kidding, kidding, please put the Dark Lord's Cruelly Curved cinquedea of Cruel Cruelty back in its sheath...

But in seriousness, I want to pick up 3 CH novels. What are your top 3 picks?

Blogger Old Ez June 28, 2016 4:03 PM  

This is good news. I have finally gotten on the ebook train, but if I find one I like, I always buy it in print, if possible. For one thing, I don't like the idea of someone in Mumbai being able to push a button and erase my library off of my tablet. Second, there is just no substitute for holding the real thing [insert-snobby-reference-to-the-superiority-of-vinyl-over-digital-music-followed-by-fedora-tip]. My personal library is one of my prized possessions.

Blogger Old Ez June 28, 2016 4:07 PM  

@12 re: the "dark enlightenment". Have you read the counter-enlightenment? De Bonald, Lamennais, Maistre, Barruel, Donoso-Cortes, etc? This is something I ask all DE enthusiasts.

Blogger VD June 28, 2016 4:11 PM  

But in seriousness, I want to pick up 3 CH novels. What are your top 3 picks?

1. The Missionaries
2. Awake in the Night Land
3. Quantum Mortis: A Man Disrupted

Blogger VD June 28, 2016 4:11 PM  

probably the best new novel I've read in ten years.

Delighted to hear it.

Blogger Alfred Genesson June 28, 2016 6:36 PM  

No, no. "Brings the Lightening" is about a bold East Asian dermatologist and aesthetician.

Blogger jennifer john June 29, 2016 10:34 AM  

Are you looking for a business loan? personal loan, house loan, car loan, student loan,debt consolidation loan, unsecured loans, venture capital, etc. .. Or have you been refused a loan by a bank or a financial institution for any reasons. We are private lenders, lending to businesses and individuals in a low and affordable interest rate of 2% interest rate. if Interested? Contact us today at ( ) and get your loan today

Daniel john investment Team

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts