ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2016 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

"Meritocracy" in America

Thomas Frank at The Guardian observes the way the Podesta emails reveal how America's ruling class really operates:
This genre of Podesta email, in which people try to arrange jobs for themselves or their kids, points us toward the most fundamental thing we know about the people at the top of this class: their loyalty to one another and the way it overrides everything else. Of course Hillary Clinton staffed her state department with investment bankers and then did speaking engagements for investment banks as soon as she was done at the state department. Of course she appears to think that any kind of bank reform should “come from the industry itself”. And of course no elite bankers were ever prosecuted by the Obama administration. Read these emails and you understand, with a start, that the people at the top tier of American life all know each other. They are all engaged in promoting one another’s careers, constantly.

Everything blurs into everything else in this world. The state department, the banks, Silicon Valley, the nonprofits, the “Global CEO Advisory Firm” that appears to have solicited donations for the Clinton Foundation. Executives here go from foundation to government to thinktank to startup. There are honors. Venture capital. Foundation grants. Endowed chairs. Advanced degrees. For them the door revolves. The friends all succeed. They break every boundary.

But the One Big Boundary remains. Yes, it’s all supposed to be a meritocracy. But if you aren’t part of this happy, prosperous in-group – if you don’t have John Podesta’s email address – you’re out.
I don't so much mind the corruption and nepotism. It has always been thus, in every human culture. Francis Fukuyama has even coined a term, repatrimonialization, to describe the process, and in his excellent The Origins of Political Order, argues that one of the chief challenges of a society, and one of the causes of the rise and fall of civilizations, is the never-ending battle between the aristocratic class to increase its wealth and privileges at the expense of the common people, and pass them on to its children, and the state, which attempts to interfere with that process.

In the USA, the state, and the people, have clearly lost that battle, because the financial aristocrats captured the throne, which has historically allied with the common people against the aristocracies.

Labels: , ,

76 Comments:

Anonymous A Most Deplorable Paradigm Is More Than Twenty Cents November 01, 2016 12:18 PM  

Functional aristocracies recognize the importance of giving the little people a piece of the action, a crumb of a slice of the pie. Dysfunctional aristocracies are all about MOAR no matter the cost to the polity.

The middle class in the US has been looted for 40 years. The looting has become too obvious to hide anymore. Perhaps the US is due for a bit of turnover in the aristocratic class?

Who among the Podesta class will be the first to publicly support Trump?

Anonymous Broken Arrow November 01, 2016 12:18 PM  

It's a cycle in which the elites denude the commoners of money and rights until the commoners rise up, hang them and then the process starts again.

Blogger Warren Yurmind November 01, 2016 12:19 PM  

Martin Luther, leader of the Protestant Reformation, in 1543 wrote On the Jews and Their Lies

"They live among us in our homes, under our protection, use land and highways, market and streets. Princes and government sit by, snore and have their maws open, let the Jews take from their purse and chest, steal and rob whatever they will. That is, they permit themselves and their subjects to be abused and sucked dry and reduced to beggars with their own money, through the usury of the Jews. For the Jews, as foreigners, certainly should have nothing from us; and what they have certainly must be ours. They do not work, do not earn anything from us, neither do we donate or give it to them. Yet they have our money and goods and are lords in our land where they are supposed to be in exile!"

"Should someone think I am saying too much—I am saying much too little! For I see in [their] writings how they curse us Goyim and wish as all evil in their schools and prayers. They rob us of our money through usury, and wherever they are able, they play us all manner of mean tricks . . . No heathen has done such things and none would to so except the Devil himself and those whom he possesses—as he possesses the Jews."

"Therefore know, my dear Christians, that next to the Devil, you have no more bitter, more poisonous, more vehement an enemy than a real Jew who earnestly desires to be a Jew. There may be some among them who believe what the cow or the goose believes. But all of them are surrounded with their blood and circumcision. In history, therefore, they are often accused of poisoning wells, stealing children and mutilating them; as in Trent, Weszensee and the like. Of course they deny this. Be it so or not, however, I know full well that the ready will is not lacking with them if they could only transform it into deeds, in secret or openly."

"Therefore be on your guard against the Jews, knowing that wherever they have their synagogues, nothing is found but a den of devils in which sheer self-glory, conceit, lies, blasphemy, and defaming of God and men are practiced most maliciously and veheming his eyes on them."

"However, they have not acquired a perfect mastery of the art of lying; they lie so clumsily and ineptly that anyone who is just a little observant can easily detect it."

"What shall we Christians do with this rejected and condemned people, the Jews? Let us apply the ordinary wisdom of other nations like France, Spain, Bohemia, et al., who made them give an account of what they had stolen through usury, and divided it evenly; but expelled them from their country; For as heard before, God's wrath is so great over them that through soft mercy they only become more wicked, through hard treatment, however, only a little better. Therefore, away with them!"

Blogger Warren Yurmind November 01, 2016 12:26 PM  

Arthur Schopenhauer
"They are and remain a foreign oriental race, and so must be regarded merely as domiciled foreigners. When some twenty-five years ago the emancipation of the Jews was debated in the English Parliament, a speaker put forward the following hypothetical case. An English Jew comes to Lisbon where he meets two men in extreme want and distress; yet it is only in his power to save one of them. Personally to him they are both strangers. Yet if one of them is an Englishman but a Christian, and the other a Portuguese but a Jew, whom will he save? I do not think that any sensible Christian and any sincere Jew would be in doubt as to the answer. But it gives us some indication of the rights to be conceded to the Jews.[xi]"

"many great and illustrious nations with which this pettifogging little nation cannot possibly be compared, such as the Assyrians, Medes, Persians, Phoenicians, Egyptians, Etruscans and others have passed to eternal rest and entirely disappeared. And even so today, this gens extorris [refugee race], this John Lackland among the nations, is to be found all over the globe, nowhere at home and nowhere strangers. Moreover it asserts its nationality with unprecedented obstinacy and, mindful of Abraham who dwelt in Canaan as a stranger but who gradually became master of the whole land, as his God had promised him (Genesis 17:8), it would like to set foot somewhere and take root in order to arrive once more at a country, without which, of course, a people is like a ball floating in air. Till then, it lives parasitically on other nations and their soil; but yet it is inspired with the liveliest patriotism for its own nation. This is seen in the very firm way in which Jews stick together on the principle of each for all and all for each, so that this patriotism sine patria inspires greater enthusiasm than does any other. The rest of the Jews are the fatherland of the Jew; and so he fights for them as he would pro ara et focis [for hearth and home], and no community on earth sticks so firmly together as does this.

It follows from this that it is absurd to want to concede to them a share in the government or administration of any country. Originally amalgamated and one with their state, their religion is by no means the main issue here, but rather merely the bond that holds them together, the point de ralliement [rallying-point], and the banner whereby they recognize one another. This is also seen in the fact that even the converted Jew who has been baptized does not by any means bring upon himself the hatred and loathing of all the rest [of the Jews], as do all other apostates. On the contrary, he continues as a rule to be their friend and companion and to regard them as his true countrymen, naturally with a few orthodox exceptions.
… Accordingly, it is an extremely superficial and false view to regard the Jews merely as a religious sect. But if, in order to countenance this error, Judaism is described by an expression borrowed from the Christian Church as “Jewish Confession,” then this is a fundamentally false expression which is deliberately calculated to mislead and should not be allowed at all. On the contrary, “Jewish Nation” is the correct expression. The Jews have absolutely no confession; monotheism is part of their nationality and political constitution and is with them a matter of course."

Blogger tz November 01, 2016 12:26 PM  

@1 exactly. When the elite were a minor parasite, they were tolerated, and only occasionally would have to sacrifice one of their own. Now they've all but killed the host. But the host has turned.
Whatever else about America, it was where a Donald Trump or Henry Ford could rise to the top. Social mobility. And it can be again.

Blogger pyrrhus November 01, 2016 12:27 PM  

All of which is beautifully illustrated by Prof. Greg Clark's 'The Son Also Rises', which shows that wealth/status tends to last 15 generations, not 3...

Blogger tz November 01, 2016 12:29 PM  

Wikileaks goes back years. Note how Donald Trump isn't in any of them, and I don't think that is filtering.

Blogger praetorian November 01, 2016 12:30 PM  

This is why small sovereign political units must be the goal: to widely distribute power and aristocratic malfeasance, and force the aristocracy into close physical and genetic proximity to the commoners. Strong but small governments, as with the traditional swiss model.

Blogger Earl November 01, 2016 12:32 PM  

Bullshit.

Maybe it's just what I'm going through right now, but I can't seem to go a month without a fellow prole or even a friend or my sister viciously backstabbing me at work, or even church a few times. Year after year I get attacked for one reason or another until I've learned to meticulously keep dirt on EVERYONE and then once they start paying games, I finish it hard.

I GOT MORE GAMES THAN MILTON BRADLEY, SON.

Blogger Cataline Sergius November 01, 2016 12:34 PM  

In the USA, the state, and the people, have clearly lost that battle, because the financial aristocrats captured the throne, which has historically allied with the common people against the aristocracies.

Oh hell yes. Read Tuchman's the Proud Tower, Chapter One.

Blogger Aeoli Pera November 01, 2016 12:36 PM  

tz wrote:Wikileaks goes back years. Note how Donald Trump isn't in any of them, and I don't think that is filtering.

It's not a monolithic elite, which is why the most ruthless parasites are filtered to the top. I would guess the Donald hails from a less parasitic elite group. So he won't be squeaky clean, but he also won't be corrupt to the level that Hillary is, where parody is literally impossible.

Blogger l' Américain November 01, 2016 12:38 PM  

nothing a few guillotines couldn't fix.

Blogger Warren Yurmind November 01, 2016 12:38 PM  

Ever wonder why every presidential candidate of America has to make special speeches catering to jews/AIPAC?

A new report presented by Gil Troy of Mcgill University in Canada, shows that 50% of donations to Secretary Clinton’s campaign come from Jewish contributors. The study also found that 25% of donations to the Republican Party also come from Jewish donors. [But not to Donald Trump.]

Troy stated that this is why presidential campaigns are aimed at Jews even though they only make up 2% of American voters.
Professor Troy also stated that the electorate system is preferential towards states that have large Jewish populations like Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Michigan.
In those states, there isn’t a clear winner for either candidate but they have large Jewish electorates and the Jewish voice becomes very meaningful.
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/218408


When your "ally" acts like an enemy... how do you react?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cku0YlptS4E

Blogger Aeoli Pera November 01, 2016 12:38 PM  

I mean, if one of the e-mails said that Hillary was sucking Satan's dick every Tuesday after lunch, my first reaction would be "yeah, okay".

Blogger Cail Corishev November 01, 2016 12:39 PM  

There's no noblesse oblige in them whatsoever. They can't even fake it. There is some in Trump, because he's spent years talking to contractors and other people who actually work, and he's been down and had to get back up before. There was in Reagan, because he too got into politics after having a real life.

But these people who have spent their entire lives in politics just don't have it. People who aren't on the inside are just numbers on a balance sheet to them, pieces on a game board.

Blogger Desiderius November 01, 2016 12:42 PM  

"the financial aristocrats"

If only they were truly "the best" it wouldn't be so tragic.

Alas that is far from the case.

Some aristocracy. More kakistocracy.

Blogger Cataline Sergius November 01, 2016 12:42 PM  

This DOES explain what happened to the press.

Reporters as a species were exterminated and replaced with Journalists. Journalists are the ne'er–do–well second sons/daughters of the aristocrats. They are provided a sinecure and in exchange they are expected to be completely loyal to their class.

The really incompetent ones get sent to universities as diversity and inclusion provosts.

No wonder they hate Trump so much. He is the ultimate class traitor.

Blogger cheddarman November 01, 2016 12:43 PM  

Vox,

If the U.S. Dollar looses its world reserve currency status, would this tip the scales towards the people again?

My midwit brain says yes, but I would like to put this before your super intelligence.

Thanks,

Cheddarman

Blogger Josh (the gayest thing here) November 01, 2016 12:43 PM  

Who among the Podesta class will be the first to publicly support Trump?

Thiel, Adelson, the Mercer family

Blogger Jeffrey Johnson November 01, 2016 12:46 PM  

Off topic but very important. Here's a link of Evan McMullin saying that we have to accept gay marriage. If this goes viral and the people of Utah see it, it will end all of his support in 1 day: https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/independent-presidential-candidate-evan-mcmullin-says-its-time-to-move-on-f

Blogger rho November 01, 2016 12:47 PM  

Holy crap, did Hillary just lose readers of The Guardian?

Blogger Azimus November 01, 2016 12:50 PM  

I think we should all take a moment and realize the significance of what Wikileaks, Project Veritas, FBI, etc. are showing us in 2016.

Never again will such hubris, incompetence, and carelessness combine to give us such a window into the world of the people who actually run this nation.

We are the benefactors almost unprecedented clarity. This is like when God brought Ezekiel into the bowels of the Temple to show him the wickedness of what was going on. If I'm not mistaken, I believe directly after that God, disgusted with Israel's leaders, removed his Glory from the Temple.

Today, in 2016, God is showing us what is going on in secret in the Temple.

Blogger Cataline Sergius November 01, 2016 12:51 PM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger Nick S November 01, 2016 12:59 PM  

"But if you aren’t part of this happy, prosperous in-group – if you don’t have John Podesta’s email address – you’re out."

And that's why people create a superior in-group to supplant theirs. If they were as smart as they think they are, they would just surrender now before it gets uglier.

Blogger Dirtnapninja November 01, 2016 1:00 PM  

The problem is the aristocracy is drawn from an alien people who are allying with foreign tribes. Even the aristocrats drawn from native stock have assimilated into the mores of the alien occupiers. So the goals of the people and the goals of the aristocrats are in opposition.

Blogger dc.sunsets November 01, 2016 1:00 PM  

I disagree with the terms used.

The aristocrats & the throne were always on the same side. What we now have is something new: globalists who have no allegiance whatsoever to place or nation, only to mobile capital and whoever can increase their accumulation thereof. They are the ultimate Tragedy of the Commons, because to them, all places and all people(s) are their Commons.

I just don't think old terms apply. Aristocrats (the landed gentry) still belonged somewhere. George Soros and his ilk don't. At best, they elevate their "somewhere" to an ideology, and we know what happens when Power combines with Ideology, especially a Utopian Ideology.

Anonymous Gen. Kong November 01, 2016 1:03 PM  

I'll be interested to see what happens if Hillary, et al manage to steal the election from Trump. The usual suspects all seem quite confident they'll get away with it - and given the zero resistance they've seen from anyone save the alt-right - their confidence is understandable. Of course the French aristocracy felt very confident on the eve of their own fall, but in that case the banksteins were wanting to bring them down for slow payments. Many folks still stumble around in ignorance, but more awaken every day.

Anonymous BGKB November 01, 2016 1:04 PM  

Soounds like we have proof of (((White)))) privilege

Who among the Podesta class will be the first to publicly support Trump? TRUMP's wives and Peter Theil.

Wikileaks goes back years. Note how Donald Trump isn't in any of them, and I don't think that is filtering.

What would TRUMP have done worth leaking? Paying off politicians on both sides so they stay out of his way.

I mean, if one of the e-mails said that Hillary was sucking Satan's dick every Tuesday after lunch, my first reaction would be "yeah, okay".

It would be more believable than if it said she was sucking Bill's

Here's a link of Evan McMullin saying that we have to accept gay marriage.

He is hoping to get 50 wives out of the deal.
OT: Didn't see this before Trump's People: Michael Moore's Monologue Redone As a Trump Campaign Ad
http://americandigest.org/mt-archives/5minute_arguments/michael_moores_monologue.php

Blogger dc.sunsets November 01, 2016 1:11 PM  

We simply cannot understand the present and past if we insist it all "make sense." It doesn't, can't, won't and never will. Positing a rational theory for a non-rational process is an obvious error.

The history of Mankind is a pendulum swinging on a spectrum from slavery to liberty. Slaves choose their chains; today's relatively enslaved 1st-worlder chooses servitude out of Peak Trust (peak complacency.) Even the poor in America live better than kings of antiquity, yet Joe MiddleClass may soon hoist the Revolutionary Banner, just as did British citizens living in the Colonies in 1775 despite enjoying a higher standard of living than their cousins in England, and despite Parliament repealing all the main objections cited by the separatists.

Social mood is not physics. A ball in motion doesn't stay in motion. This is why most abstract theories regarding today and yesterday are poor. It is a higher level abstraction indeed to grasp that no reasoned rationales exist for the behavior of people in social groups.

This is why the USA in a few years may be plunged into violence and chaos far beyond any rational forecast. Around us we see fat, complacent people callousing their thumbs on their electronic toys, and we can't imagine that such people could be so enraged in a few years that they would plunge themselves into a maelstrom of conflict.

Such is the paradox of human social behavior, and why the vast majority of observers get their forecasts wrong, especially at the big turns.

Anonymous Monkey Boy November 01, 2016 1:15 PM  

I think there is a slight difference between the old aristocrats and the modern elites. In the old aristocracy; yes there were people who's goal was purely to enrich themselves but others genuinely cared about there nations and its interests, due to there ancestral connecting to the land. The modern elites don't see themselves as citizens of a specific country, they see themselves as transnational and are beholden to a globalist philosophy that seeks to attack or undermine the nation state. Due to this the modern elites are far more dangerous than the old aristocracy ever was.

Blogger dc.sunsets November 01, 2016 1:25 PM  

In the USA, the state, and the people, have clearly lost that battle, because the financial aristocrats captured the throne, which has historically allied with the common people against the aristocracies.

Once membership in the House of Commons depended so heavily on campaign donations, it was only a matter of time before Global Robber Barons not only bought the House of Commons but the House of Lords as well.

Not that this is new: PJ O'Rourke noted: "Once congress governs buying and selling, the first things to be bought and sold will be congressmen."

As long as the commoners were complacent, this was a stable purchase. The definition of "an Honest Politician" is that he or she, once bought, stays bought.

The commoners went along with fiat money and easy credit because Joe Sixpack's standard of living stayed high. A host of rationalizations arose to soothe away misgivings of any Baby Boomers who might have otherwise viewed all that debt with unease. They pawned the house, the kids' education (and future), the car, the nation's industry, hell...they pawned everything but the kitchen sink not slated for production until 2050.

America in its entirety sits in a pawnshop window. The guy behind the counter is East Asian, and the guy who bankrolled the Pawnshop calls Tel Aviv his home, he only vacations in NYC, Aspen, London and Geneva.

The hole that a mania in social mood optimism dug, that's where we find ourselves.

You can't cheat an honest man. America was sold off by citizens quite willingly. Con artists and carpetbaggers flocked here the moment the avarice and complacency quotients hit a threshold.

Anonymous 11/1 November 01, 2016 1:29 PM  

@9
It's not just you. Every company I've been involved with for past 5 years is at some point in transition to convergence. Those that were already converged doubling down hard. The progression is established by divide and conquer - turn the workers against each other.

One company was like a white male paradise (even with 50%+ immigrant employees). Free to be non-PC, but get your fucking work done.

Then bought out, and faggy new boss starts encouraging people to snitch on each other.

Anonymous Just another commenter November 01, 2016 1:30 PM  

In other words: in-group preference is normal, expected, and laudable for anyone that isn't a straight white Christian man (because then it's racists, sexist, religionist, and homophobic).

Blogger Aeoli Pera November 01, 2016 1:35 PM  

cheddarman wrote:Vox,

If the U.S. Dollar looses its world reserve currency status, would this tip the scales towards the people again?

My midwit brain says yes, but I would like to put this before your super intelligence.

Thanks,

Cheddarman


I'm not intelligent but I am a genius, and so yet again I'll volunteer my uninvited and possibly unwanted opinion. I believe the average person will be a little freer and a lot poorer in a world where the oil reserve currency is less dominant than the dollar has been.

Blogger Aeoli Pera November 01, 2016 1:38 PM  

dc.sunsets wrote:Social mood is not physics.

It is weather, however. Eventually somebody who owns a supercomputer and an AI will figure this out.

Blogger Aeoli Pera November 01, 2016 1:39 PM  

Hopefully somebody who believes in publishing results, but I'm not holding my breath.

Anonymous Napoleon 12pdr November 01, 2016 1:44 PM  

FWIW, Limbaugh is talking about this very topic. Which will take it mainstream.

Blogger tublecane November 01, 2016 1:50 PM  

I read a funny, little book recently called Mediocracy, and that about explains it. I don't have any problem with aristocracy in theory, though with plenty of qualifications(how they got there, whether they fulfill their function well, etc.). You can't really call what we have now an aristocracy. That would be an abuse of language. Oligarchy, okay.

They are the sort of ruling class you can expect mass democracy, capitalism, a demotic intelligentsia, and the managerial state together to produce. They're incompetent, to put it simply, and haven't earned their way in, traditionally speaking. They're not a warrior caste. They don't protect us. They get picked by the productive class, partly, but they aren't productive. They have no mandate from heaven; they aren't religious. They are poor patrons. They sponsor the worst art known to man.

They do have at least some sense of noblesse oblige, but it's a indiscriminate, foolish woman's sense. And it's all done with Other People's Money. That's the modern Welfare State.

No, it's not an aristocracy. It's an anti-aristocratic ruling class.

Anonymous kfg November 01, 2016 1:54 PM  

"It's a club, and you ain't in it!" -- George Carlin

Anonymous map November 01, 2016 1:54 PM  

If you guys ever have the chance, then I suggest you read Charles Dickens. Not the works like "A Tale of Two Cities" or "A Christmas Carol" but his masterpieces, like "Bleak House."

Dickens is known for discussing class issues in withering detail, but what is lost in the analysis is that Dickens was actually very critical of the middle class striver. Basically, Dickens intensely disliked the destabilizing effect of upward mobility and the various attitudes that it produced. basically, the strivers think they are better than everyone, and their narrow, single-minded measurement creates all kind of problems in society.

Did you know Dickens had a character that cared more about what was happening in Africa than she did about her own children? That he had a character who lied about his humble beginnings to make his success as a factory owner seem greater than it was? That he had character who embodied modern neocon exceptionalism and right to rule? All in a books written in the middle 19th century. It was astonishing.

Basically, Dickens reveals something that Steve Sailer talked about: a society that is based on hereditary privilege knows that it is a society based on hereditary privilege: King George is a king because he picked his parents correctly. Jeeves is not because he did not. A balance is created where each plays his role, respects the other's role into and everything hums happily along.

With the advent of the intelligent striver, this is all upended, even though the striver benefits from the ultimate hereditary privilege: genetics. Not recognizing this fact tips the applecart and, over time, we end up with an aristocracy convinced that its own boundless superiority is largely due to merit. This is where we find ourselves today.

Blogger Bodichi November 01, 2016 2:09 PM  

@MAP

"the strivers think they are better than everyone"

Was Henry Ford better than those he hired, and those who were his appointed betters?

Could they have produced the assembly line?

Could those in power have produced it?

Anonymous Hezekiah Garrett November 01, 2016 2:22 PM  

@26. I submit your opening assertion is poppycock.

Royalty and aristocracy have not always been on the same side, not by a long shot. Royals have always leveraged serfs against aristocratic ambition, whenever necessary.

And I think my position is sage enough to point to 2 songs and leave it at that. 'Good King Wenceslas' firstly.

The second from that 20th century genius, Greoning. "In 1215 at Runnymede, DooDah DooDah, The Nobles and the King agreed, Oh the DooDah Day!"

Anonymous Napoleon 12pdr November 01, 2016 2:28 PM  

I'll add that much of the Urban Snob Elite comes from the Ivy League schools - which deal principally in networking and high-grade snobbery.

Pro Tip to the GOP: Under NO circumstances do you nominate an Ivy League graduate ever again. Running against the Ivy League Snobs is a winning play.

Blogger g wood November 01, 2016 2:34 PM  

Sailer talked about this, in reference to Downton Abbey. English aristocrats led lives of enormous privilege, but they were willing to pay for it by leading infantry charges into German machine guns. Today's elites, not so much.

Blogger dc.sunsets November 01, 2016 2:41 PM  

It is weather, however. Eventually somebody who owns a supercomputer and an AI will figure this out.

When you can show me a system based on logic that can predict the outcomes of non-linear systems, which by definition spin ever further from predictability the further one travels from the forecast start, I'll agree.

Learning the limits of forecasting non-linear systems was an expensive lesson for me. The outcome of all that boils down to: "no one can predict the future. Too many variables, themselves parts of their own little non-linear universes."

When the stakes are high, human systems never transcend the limitations of their designers and participants.

Blogger dc.sunsets November 01, 2016 2:43 PM  

@42, it all depends on concentrated benefit, diffuse costs. To the king, all costs are diffuse costs. The nobles seek to concentrate benefits.

Who speaks for the abstraction we call the nation? Who speaks for any abstraction?

Blogger 1337kestrel November 01, 2016 2:56 PM  

Per Machiavelli, when the Crown allies with the aristocracy rather than the people, it is prone to being overthrown by a popular uprising.

Blogger Aeoli Pera November 01, 2016 3:08 PM  

dc.sunsets wrote:It is weather, however. Eventually somebody who owns a supercomputer and an AI will figure this out.

When you can show me a system based on logic that can predict the outcomes of non-linear systems, which by definition spin ever further from predictability the further one travels from the forecast start, I'll agree.

Learning the limits of forecasting non-linear systems was an expensive lesson for me. The outcome of all that boils down to: "no one can predict the future. Too many variables, themselves parts of their own little non-linear universes."

When the stakes are high, human systems never transcend the limitations of their designers and participants.


https://concurringopinions.com/archives/2014/10/predicting-the-supreme-court-using-artificial-intelligence.html

Blogger Aeoli Pera November 01, 2016 3:09 PM  

70% isn't perfect by any means, but it's enough to turn big money into infinite money.

Anonymous map November 01, 2016 3:24 PM  

@Bodichi

You can hide a lot of pygmies in the shadow of a giant.

Anonymous kfg November 01, 2016 3:25 PM  

@43:

There are reverse snobbery snob schools. Schools which those who could attend an Ivy League school attend in order not to attend an Ivy League school.

Moving up the Hudson Valley you have Vasser, Bard and Skidmore as examples.

Within the elite turning down Harvard, Yale and Cornell to attend one of these has an extra cache. Watch out for people who come from those schools as well.

Anonymous Hezekiah Garrett November 01, 2016 3:28 PM  

@46. Now your claim is clearer. And note, I didn't dispute anything else in that post, because i don't dispute anything else you said.

If you meant Royals and Gentry were both on the side of the nation, I withdraw my claim of poppycock forthwith!

Except to note the Royals were not always, ESPECIALLY in the case of the English, members of the Nation themselves.

I'd gladly accept an aristocracy that felt strong paternal duties to me and mine. To work us and teach us and lead us into necessary battles.

That we obviously do not have.

Blogger Chent November 01, 2016 3:44 PM  

"In the USA, the state, and the people, have clearly lost that battle, because the financial aristocrats captured the throne, which has historically allied with the common people against the aristocracies."

Well, the financial aristocracy has always been called "the bourgeoisie". They conquered the throne (the central power) during the bourgeois revolutions: French revolution, American independence, etc. After this, they glorified these revolutions in the school system so the people thought that these revolutions were about the victory of freedom instead of the replacement of one elite by another elite.

What's new? The elite has more ways to extract money from the people, due to technological advances. And the elite has lost the sense of duty towards the people and the feeling of solidarity with the people (decline of religion and patriotism). This has increased the exploitation very much.

Blogger Bodichi November 01, 2016 4:04 PM  

@map

Very true as evidenced by our current situation. However the Dickensian "pick the right parents" meme means that if you didn't pick the right parents then suck it up because "HA HA HA".

It literally leaves zero reasons to ever try, and provokes a slave mentality of doing just enough to not be chastised.

Also, "A balance is created where each plays his role, respects the other's role into and everything hums happily along."

Jeeves might be respected as a good and loyal servant to aristocracy but no one respects the janitor.

Blogger justaguy November 01, 2016 4:08 PM  

Financial aristocracy? Creating a cutesy names doesn't give something reality. The financial industry as only recently grown and is very much a dog eat dog world. In our modern quickly-changing society, the top earners do not seem to stay the same. In the early 1990s, who thought that Amazon, Facebook, or Apple (only one of these existed) would be such powerhouses. No one knew which companies would make it and which would not.

Top earners in the financial markets are here today and gone tomorrow, with only a few having any staying power. While there might be a high IQ entry required, and only the tip 50 or so schools contribute, I'm not sure it is an aristocracy. Look at well the royal princess Chelsea and her husband are doing--didn't his fund just blow up?

Anonymous BGKB November 01, 2016 4:08 PM  

predicting-the-supreme-court-using-artificial-intelligence

AI can you tell me how the 3 jews and wide latrina will vote? No I saw what you did to poor TAY.

Blogger Aeoli Pera November 01, 2016 4:23 PM  

Parody is reality, therefore I believe there are scientists working around the clock right now to make AIs lie about socially sensitive topics.

#GayestPossibleUniverse

No offense to BGKB intended, he's honorary hetero.

Blogger Snidely Whiplash November 01, 2016 4:45 PM  

Bodichi wrote:Jeeves might be respected as a good and loyal servant to aristocracy but no one respects the janitor.
Bullshit. I worked as a janitor at a major international airport for 3 years. You could always tell the real aristos. They are unfailingly polite to even the most menial of help. I met king Bhumibol there, the nicest, most humble man I ever met.
It's the rich strivers and sneering middle-class that look down on the janitor.

BTW, the best way to get great service in hotels, restaurants, etc, is to be polite, and treat the help with respect. Try it sometime.

Anonymous badhairday November 01, 2016 4:46 PM  

Oh, just sit down and re-watch I Claudius. It's an education. There are two kinds of men: those who delight in building and those who want to fill their vacant hearts with stuff. The second group seem to hate the first and so as they rise in an organization, they hollow it out. Then it collapses.

Blogger Snidely Whiplash November 01, 2016 4:46 PM  

justaguy wrote:n the early 1990s, who thought that Amazon, Facebook, or Apple (only one of these existed) would be such powerhouses. No one knew which companies would make it and which would not.

Top earners in the financial markets are here today and gone tomorrow, with only a few having any staying power.

Who runs the country?
(((Goldman Sachs)))

Blogger justaguy November 01, 2016 5:05 PM  

Maybe, but they didn't a couple of decades ago, and it is very debatable if they will in the next couple. Who is at the top positions of the top finance companies, and where did they come from? Getting your kids a job is a nice step up, but to survive and get ahead they have to be able to run with the big dogs, and it they can't they can go the PAris Hilton, Jenner family route-- fame and looks while they last.

For most, from what I can tell, it is the best schools, and a start at good jobs, but they have to perform and maybe do as well as their dads. Many take the enjoy life route and do okay, but they start the slope downward for the family. Go to England or France and see an aristocracy-- hundreds of years of lifestyle, wealth and position run by a latest generation of idiots.

Anonymous A Paradigm Is More Than Twenty Cents November 01, 2016 5:58 PM  

Stupid, lazy question: is the Thomas Frank who wrote this for the Guardian the same person who wrote What's Wrong With Kansas? My cursory search didn't give me the answer.

Anonymous WaterBoy November 01, 2016 6:10 PM  

Paradigm @62: "is the Thomas Frank who wrote this for the Guardian the same person who wrote What's Wrong With Kansas?"

Yes, though it's 'What's the Matter with Kansas?'.

Blogger Robert What? November 01, 2016 6:19 PM  

Vox is right that corruption has always been with us. But has there ever before been "rulers" who so despised the ruled?

Blogger SirHamster November 01, 2016 6:33 PM  

justaguy wrote:In our modern quickly-changing society, the top earners do not seem to stay the same.

Reading this blog has made me pay a lot of attention whenever that word is used.

(((banks))) get to play a game where gains are private and costs are public.

Wonder if we'll see a banking crash where the bailout card is played and rejected?

Anonymous A Deplorable Paradigm Is More Than Twenty Cents November 01, 2016 6:37 PM  

@63
Then he must be having a bit of a crisis of faith, because his previous writing reeked of "Bad Plutocratic Rethuglicans" as I remember it. To find out that the "party of the little guy" is actually something else... it's like being a Baptist and running into your preacher at the liquor store, unnerving.

He should be filled with cognitive dissonance. Doesn't seem to be. I want salt. Lots of salt.

Anonymous WaterBoy November 01, 2016 7:43 PM  

Paradigm @66: "Then he must be having a bit of a crisis of faith, because his previous writing reeked of "Bad Plutocratic Rethuglicans" as I remember it."

I dunno, I didn't read that other work. And this one didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. Is the author such a Pollyanna that he didn't have his own convictions on the corrupt nature of all political parties?

Blogger Unknown November 01, 2016 8:05 PM  

The White White West also sees itself as the aristocracy, trying to increase the wealth and privileges of its own stock. In this sense colored people are seen as commoners en masse. The state tries to interfere with this process too.

If it's never-ending, however, noblesse oblige is the right strategy. Without it, or too much of it, it's unsurprising that the peasants are at the gates, either revolting over not enough, or salivating over more free stuff. If Fukuyama is right, facing this sort of class revolution, White's time will not come again until the colored folk are sated. The aristocrat can fight for the guillotine, or yield for posterity.

Possibly the worst thing White can do for itself at this time is try to nationalize. The state-backed commoner is a more powerful revolutionary today than any before, and their growth rate is accelerating. They may be a toothless tiger when push comes to shove but White could extinguish itself by resisting if not. Quite a gamble with something as precious as Western Civilization. Wouldn't it be better to assist the Fukuyaman revolutionary with their temporary inheritance and let the precious White genes assert their superiority and emerge as ever before - bigger, better, faster, more?

Personally, I don't see any hope in temporal philosophies. Even as the wheel turns, the degenerative ratchet always seems to turn another notch. Hope is in the eternal.

Blogger dfordoom November 01, 2016 9:59 PM  

@2. Broken Arrow

It's a cycle in which the elites denude the commoners of money and rights until the commoners rise up, hang them and then the process starts again.

When the commoners rise up the usual sequel is that the commoners get hanged and then the survivors get oppressed even harder.

A successful revolt happens when a section of the elite allies itself with another class to overthrow the rest of the elite.

The American Revolution is a case in point. It wasn't exactly a spontaneous revolt by the poor oppressed peasantry.

The Bolsheviks are another case in point. The peasants played no part in it and were generally strongly opposed to it. The working class was pretty much passive. It was a revolt by the intellectual class.

Other successful revolts happen when an outside power steps in. The American Revolution being a case in point again. Without the French the revolution would have been crushed.

Blogger DemonicProfessorEl November 01, 2016 11:24 PM  

@40 - Map's assertion is slave talk - accept your place, maggot, as you were born from the wrong womb, in the wrong class, in the wrong place.

And thus the rationale for every tyranny ever made.

Anyone ever remember the basic flaw with "divine right?" That one was born into nobility because God willed it? And others were born into servitude and poverty because of the sin of men? Poppycock - just excuses.

And yes, I understand the historical reasons for nobilities in the first place - they started as great warriors and successful leaders and it became codified. Unfortunately, they ossify when they become the state (union of aristocracy and the throne) and only squeeze wealth from the common people.

The ultimate end of the nobility is a Caesar or a Napoleon. The aristocracy becomes the State, exploits and destroys the economy of the common people in order to satiate its lusts. Then an intelligent, hard-working populist comes along with martial strength and cleans house.

The current "aristocracy" is the decay we see before the deluge that Jefferson described.

Note: I'm kind of surprised, though there may be plants here too, at all the up-talk of caste systems. The whole point of Western Civilization is the fight against Eastern Despotism, currently found in the Neo-Caliphate.

Now, I'm not saying the Ilk or even the Alt-Right/Alt-West fall into this trap. Again, there may be plants, there is also rage and anger. But we must remember that slavery and bondage to idiot "elites" is the realm of places like North Korea or Theocratic Iran. Just because the color of the tyrant is white doesn't mean he's not a literal ayatollah.

Blogger DemonicProfessorEl November 01, 2016 11:46 PM  

dfordoom wrote:A successful revolt happens when a section of the elite allies itself with another class to overthrow the rest of the elite.

You could argue that this is the main thrust of Western philosophy and citizenship. The aristos and plebs are co-dependent and form the State or the Nation.

In caste-based cultures (Eastern Despotism, perfected with Islam) and known as Communism/Socialism/SJWism in the West, there are Rulers and ruled. You're parents are farmers? You're a farmer too!

Yeah, that nugget describes the West in itself. There's a reason we invented the steam engine and China didn't. They weren't allowed.

Anonymous kfg November 02, 2016 12:31 AM  

“One day, I met with a researcher in a coffee shop. Language was a problem but he spoke more English than I did Japanese. I had just been to the bookstore and was lugging a stack of books on highly advanced computer-science topics. It was all Greek to me but I figured something might rub off. Suddenly the guy asks me “Who gives you permission to read those books?”

Christopher Locke; The Cluetrain Manifesto

Anonymous Discard November 02, 2016 5:07 AM  

68. Unknown: Fuck off. Just saying' y'know? Now take your begging bowl and go back to India or whatever. Western Civilization is ours, not yours. We don't need your help and we don't need to share with you.

Blogger Bodichi November 02, 2016 8:10 AM  

@Snidely

"It's the rich strivers and sneering middle-class that look down on the janitor."

In general I agree. But you aren't a janitor now are you? How would you like to be a Janitor forever and beaten and punished for trying to better yourself, because that is what you and MAP are arguing for.

"BTW, the best way to get great service in hotels, restaurants, etc, is to be polite, and treat the help with respect. Try it sometime."

Your anecdote does not make data. Also, telling someone to try being polite to janitors not knowing if they are or not is hilarious from someone who obviously stakes so much pride in their personal experience.

Are your stories more true than everyone else?

Blogger Bodichi November 02, 2016 8:11 AM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger Snidely Whiplash November 02, 2016 2:40 PM  

Bodichi wrote:because that is what you and MAP are arguing for.
I was making no argument. I was making an observation.

Are your stories more true than everyone else?(sic)
Yes, yes they are.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts