ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2016 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Riding the Red Horse now in audio

The spectre of war once more looms on the global horizon. A new generation of writers and military theorists are addressing the new forms of warfare that now challenge the nation-state's monopoly on war.

Terrorism, technology, fourth generation warfare, the decline of the Pax Americana, and the rise of China are among the issues contemplated by the 20 contributors to Riding the Red Horse, a collection of 24 essays and short stories from technologists, military strategists, military historians, and the leading authors of military science fiction. From the Old Guard to the New, the anthology features some of the keenest minds and best-selling authors writing in the genre today. Three national militaries and three service branches are represented by the contributors, the majority of whom are veterans.

Edited by LTC Tom Kratman, US Army (ret), and Vox Day, Riding the Red Horse covers everything from real-world lasers, intelligence ops, threat assessments, and wargame design to space combats, fleet actions, and ground operations taking place in some of the most popular future universes in science fiction.

The anthology consists of contributions from Eric S. Raymond, William S. Lind, Chris Kennedy, James F. Dunnigan, Jerry Pournelle, Ken Burnside, Christopher Nuttall, Rolf Nelson, Harry Kitchener, Giuseppe Filotto, John F. Carr, Wolfgang Diehr, Thomas Mays, Benjamin Cheah, James Perry, Brad Torgersen, Tedd Roberts, Steve Rzasa, Tom Kratman, and Vox Day. Narrated by Jon Mollison, Riding the Red Horse is 14 hours and 8 minutes in audiobook format.

Labels:

16 Comments:

Anonymous roo_ster January 18, 2017 7:02 AM  

Is RTRH volume two on permanemt hiatus in deference to Pournelle's anthologies?

Blogger VD January 18, 2017 7:42 AM  

Is RTRH volume two on permanemt hiatus in deference to Pournelle's anthologies?

I would say "indefinite hiatus".

Blogger John S January 18, 2017 8:51 AM  

Just bought it. Any hints on what comes to audio next? May I suggest Awake in the Nightland?

Blogger Gordon January 18, 2017 9:21 AM  

More audiobooks! As I wrote earlier, and I know you all noted it carefully, if you record them, I will buy. I have bought.

Blogger VD January 18, 2017 9:45 AM  

Any hints on what comes to audio next? May I suggest Awake in the Nightland?

Take the Star Road by Peter Grant is already submitted. A number of them are in process, including Summa Elvetica and Other Stories.

Blogger VD January 18, 2017 9:48 AM  

As I wrote earlier, and I know you all noted it carefully, if you record them, I will buy. I have bought.

I appreciate the consistency of the support. It is frankly annoying when the first thing people do upon the release of the ebook is declare how they are really looking forward to it in [format], then, when we subsequently release it in that format, it sells negligible copies.

We base our decisions on hard numbers, not comments. But the audio books are doing fine, and we anticipate releasing at least two per month for the rest of the year. We will be cutting back on hardcovers and doing more paperbacks, though, since with the exception of the big fat ones like ATOB and Summa, people clearly prefer paperback.

Blogger Gordon January 18, 2017 10:47 AM  

Two per month? That sucks up my (prestigious) Audible Platinum subscription right there. They don't have a 5-credit plan, which is what I really need.

It's nice to know that Take the Star Road is coming. I was about to buy it in ebook, but I'd prefer audio.

Blogger Tom Kratman January 18, 2017 11:21 AM  

If, and only if, my name is a draw, you probably ought put it somewhere in there. If it isn't, don't worry about it.

Blogger VD January 18, 2017 11:24 AM  

Your name is on the cover, it's just hard to read given the Amazon compression algorithm.

Blogger Tom Kratman January 18, 2017 11:35 AM  

Which is about the same as it not being there, in practice. As said, though, if it doesn't help any, don't worry about it.

Blogger Dave January 18, 2017 11:48 AM  

Good anthology. Too bad it's been put on the back back back burner.

Blogger Chiva January 18, 2017 12:56 PM  

Thank you for bringing more audiobooks online. Now take my money!

Blogger Basil Makedon January 18, 2017 2:08 PM  

@8 TK

I can see you name, you actually got top billing. The vertical scrunching that Amazon does makes it very difficult to see, but it's there -- maybe something about the font.

@6 VD

I totally understand not going big on audio books. I'll take what I can get 8)

I have about an hour walk/drive commute each way (depending on traffic) so I am a big consumer of audio books. I'll grab this once my credits refresh.

Blogger Gordon January 18, 2017 3:26 PM  

No excuses, Basil. Do what I do. Buy moar credits!

Blogger Kristophr January 18, 2017 10:26 PM  

Purchased. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Blogger Thanks, J. January 19, 2017 1:30 AM  

VD, appreciate y'all releasing audio books. Gonna make a point to to purchase a couple more even tho I'm swamped. Keep 'em coming.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts