ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2017 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Monday, February 27, 2017

SIX EXPRESSIONS OF DEATH

When an unknown man is shot, then stabbed to death on the road between Morijuku and the village of Iwagi, it is natural to assume that he fell victim to bandits preying on travelers passing through the Kiso Mountains. But when Daikawa Tadashi, a samurai from a poor, but ancient noble house, encounters the body, he realizes that there is likely more to the tale than a simple robbery.

And when Tadashi's attempt to dutifully report the murder to one of his daimyo's lieutenants unexpectedly results in a second murder, he finds himself, and worse, his lover, ensnared in a dangerous web of deceit and death. For clan war looms over the mountains, the Tiger of Kai, the lord of the Takeda, is on the prowl, and shinobi stalk the shadows of the night.

SIX EXPRESSIONS OF DEATH is Mojo Mori's debut novel. A historical murder mystery set in a mystical version of 16th century Japan, it is a unique and enthralling tale. From the reviews:

  • Fans of Medieval Japanese history or traditional Japanese culture will be pleased.
  • This is an interesting tale of murder and intrigue during the Sengoku Era of Japan. This was a time of great upheaval and conflict, when the entire country was at war. A mysterious murder of a traveler outside of a small village catches the attention of a humble samurai, and before he knows it, he is up to his neck in a plot that could embroil his whole land in an unwinnable war.... The writing in this book is quite good. The author has a nice feel for Japanese sensibilities and aesthetics.
  • The honor of the samurai is contrasted well with the cunning of the ninja, and both are presented with respect due their traditions.
  • Author Mojo Mori's future is writ bright with this unique and sparkling debut.
SIX EXPRESSIONS OF DEATH is 218 pages, DRM-free, and retails for $5.99 at Amazon and the Castalia House store.

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

Blogger SteelPalm February 27, 2017 5:25 AM  

I'm assuming this was partially inspired by Akutagawa's In the Grove, later adopted into the movie Rashomon? Sounds interesting.

Blogger VD February 27, 2017 5:42 AM  

I don't know, as I didn't write it and I didn't ask the author. But I don't think so.

Blogger Sherwood family February 27, 2017 6:41 AM  

Castalia House now publishes samurai stories? Things just keep getting better. The winning...I am still not tired of it.

Anonymous jSinSaTx February 27, 2017 6:49 AM  

Purchased. Continuing to support the publishing house and people put forward by VD. I do have to say what I want the most though is another QM book.

Anonymous MB Moore February 27, 2017 8:09 AM  

Hey Vox!

Congrats on what looks like anther fascinating book.

QQ: Will this book be available in other retailers like Kobo?

Thanks.

Blogger VD February 27, 2017 8:10 AM  

QQ: Will this book be available in other retailers like Kobo?

Yes, in a few days.

Blogger Jeff Wood February 27, 2017 9:28 AM  

I have only so much reading time, and am trying to finish a slim volume of my own. I wish you rascals at Castalia would slow down, at least until I either retire or manage to extend the day by a few hours.

Anonymous kfg February 27, 2017 10:23 AM  

Ever since you put out the first call/guidelines to authors this is the one I've been waiting for. I'll have to put it somewhere near the top of the reading stack.

Blogger Happy LP9 February 27, 2017 10:34 AM  

WOW, this reads so smooth and is so intriguing! Love this kind of content

Blogger pyrrhus February 27, 2017 11:09 AM  

Sounds very interesting, historical mysteries are my favorite. I'll buy and review it...

Anonymous Bellator Mortalis February 27, 2017 3:12 PM  

Looks good but -- I only pay for paper printed books. So I guess I'll wait until it is printed.

Blogger doofus February 27, 2017 6:08 PM  

Gone from ~6000 in Kindle paid books to 2800 or so since this morning.

Blogger Dave February 27, 2017 6:53 PM  

Thank you Castalia House. Per Amazon print length is 335 pages not 218 see OP and no preview or sample available.

Free Rolf



Blogger Markku February 27, 2017 7:10 PM  

The system provides no way to affect the sample, so I assume that Amazon staff creates them as they manage to get to it. It should appear at some point.

Blogger Herb Spicer February 27, 2017 7:25 PM  

至高闇貴万歳!

I became really interested in this book when you had mentioned it off-handedly in an talk a few months back (with Stefan, I believe). I'll pick it up here at the end of the week once I finish my current reading.

Blogger scimitar February 27, 2017 8:22 PM  

Got it on Kindle ...look forward to reading it...

Anonymous NewJerseyThomas February 27, 2017 8:47 PM  

Was this novel written in English or translated from Japanese?

Blogger Were-Puppy February 27, 2017 9:23 PM  

I'm so backed up but I want this.

Anonymous vales3 February 27, 2017 11:04 PM  

I can't wait to start reading.

Blogger doofus February 27, 2017 11:18 PM  

Kindle paid #2340.

Blogger SmockMan February 28, 2017 4:52 AM  

I just bought it. Can't wait to start reading. Will have to wait till after I finish First Law.

Blogger VD February 28, 2017 7:24 AM  

Was this novel written in English or translated from Japanese?

English.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts