ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2017 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Jerry Pournelle Week

To celebrate the life and work of Jerry Pournelle, we will be giving away volumes of his classic military science fiction series, THERE WILL BE WAR, all week. Today and tomorrow, you can download THERE WILL BE WAR Vol. I for free. If you have never read Dr. Pournelle before, this is an excellent opportunity to acquaint yourself with his fiction and his philosophy. The man has gone to his reward, but his ideas remain with us.

Created by the bestselling SF novelist Jerry Pournelle, THERE WILL BE WAR is a landmark science fiction anthology series that combines top-notch military science fiction with factual essays by various generals and military experts on everything from High Frontier and the Strategic Defense Initiative to the aftermath of the Vietnam War. It features some of the greatest military science fiction ever published, such Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game" in Volume I and Joel Rosenberg's "Cincinnatus" in Volume II. Many science fiction greats were featured in the original nine-volume series, which ran from 1982 to 1990, including Robert Heinlein, Arthur C. Clarke, Philip K. Dick, Gordon Dickson, Poul Anderson, John Brunner, Gregory Benford, Robert Silverberg, Harry Turtledove, and Ben Bova. 

33 years later, Castalia House has teamed up with Dr. Pournelle to make this classic science fiction series available to the public again. THERE WILL BE WAR is a treasure trove of science fiction and history that will educate and amaze new readers while reminding old ones how much the world has changed over the last three decades. Most of the stories, like war itself, remain entirely relevant today. 

Volume I is edited by Jerry Pournelle and John F. Carr, and features 23 stories, articles, and poems. Of particular note are "Reflex" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, the original "Ender's Game" novella by Orson Scott Card, "The Defenders" by Philip K. Dick, and a highly influential pair of essays devoted to the then-revolutionary concept of "High Frontier" by Robert A. Heinlein and Lt. General Daniel Graham. 

If you would prefer to buy Dr. Pournelle's books instead, I would recommend adding the big, beautiful hardcover omnibus of THERE WILL BE WAR Vols. I and II to your library.


Labels: ,

30 Comments:

Blogger dh September 10, 2017 4:30 PM  

Wait, something bad didn't happen to Jerry did it?

Blogger dh September 10, 2017 4:33 PM  

On nuts. I missed the post from the 8th. Very sad. VD, I am so thrilled you have been able to bring Jerry's work to a new generation of readers. He was a major asset to the genre plus an all around decent and lovely person.

Blogger Dave September 10, 2017 4:39 PM  

@1 & @2 wrong

Under the Read for Free button on the right side there is a Buy Now button or 1-click button if you use 1-click; the Kindle price is $0.00

Blogger Dave September 10, 2017 4:45 PM  

Nice gesture by Castalia House; I already own the ebook and hardcover (yes, it's a handsome book)

I believe you noted that CH will complete the series hardcovers?

Blogger JACIII September 10, 2017 5:01 PM  

Nice way to celebrate a true renaissance man.

Anonymous Brick Hardslab September 10, 2017 5:02 PM  

Will the series be continued?

Anonymous 2106 Things I Hate September 10, 2017 5:19 PM  

Just got the free book...but thinking that I am gonna need the nice hardcover.

Blogger lowercaseb September 10, 2017 5:26 PM  

2106 Things I Hate wrote:Just got the free book...but thinking that I am gonna need the nice hardcover.

Exactly, My eyes are getting bad, so reading print books is hard...but this is going to be a collection that I am going to want to pass on to my grandkids.

Anonymous kfg September 10, 2017 5:27 PM  

There will be Jerry Pournelle.

Blogger VD September 10, 2017 5:58 PM  

I believe you noted that CH will complete the series hardcovers?

Yes, although first we'll complete the ebook set later this month.

Will the series be continued?

If the Pournelle family is amenable.

Blogger Ostar September 10, 2017 6:25 PM  

Since I bought this in paper long ago when it was first released, I'll download it now as well.

Anonymous Rolf September 10, 2017 6:35 PM  

Cool. I still have the original paperback on my shelf.
One of the greatest honors I've ever had was having a story of mine published in the same book as one of his, in Riding the Red Horse.

A great man, a great mind, and a great series.

Blogger Tyr September 10, 2017 6:40 PM  

Not a word about his passing over at io9- after all, how could a mere lifetime of accomplishment outweigh even a single moment of wrong-think?

Thank you to Castalia House and Vox for the downloads, that's very generous and a great way to remember Mr. Pournelle and introduce his work to new readers.

Anonymous AZFloyd September 10, 2017 7:19 PM  

Thank you Vox and Castalia for the download.

Blogger Scott Shafer September 10, 2017 7:36 PM  

Thanks for the download. Thanks for bringing his work back!

Blogger Will Brown September 10, 2017 8:26 PM  

At some point in the future, when it becomes more appropriate, I hope Castalia House will try to arrange for the final Jannissaries novel to be completed. I believe I recall reading that Jerry had pretty extensive notes to go with the detailed outline he was working from on where he wanted the story to go.

A trilogy of the entire series would make a nice tribute to the man.

Blogger Chris Lopes September 10, 2017 8:33 PM  

Downloaded it. My guess is more people will download this 30+ year old book than the latest Hugo winner for best SF novel.

Blogger VD September 10, 2017 8:43 PM  

At some point in the future, when it becomes more appropriate, I hope Castalia House will try to arrange for the final Jannissaries novel to be completed. I believe I recall reading that Jerry had pretty extensive notes to go with the detailed outline he was working from on where he wanted the story to go.

We would very much like to do that.

Blogger Daniel September 10, 2017 8:47 PM  

Spanish version?

Anonymous aviendha September 10, 2017 8:53 PM  

Leather. Hardcover. Pournelle. More please. I'm willing to preorder and accept a cancel if enough orders aren't made to make it feasible.

Anonymous 2106 Things I Hate September 10, 2017 9:31 PM  

"I hope Castalia House will try to arrange for the final Jannissaries novel to be completed. "

THAT would be amazing if Vox & Co. could do that. I remember thinking years ago that I hope Dr. Pournelle would finish that.

Anonymous JAMES September 10, 2017 11:22 PM  

I'm loving the giveaways recently. Makes me eager to lash out on other CH offerings.

Blogger weka September 10, 2017 11:28 PM  

I bought the original in paperback. A few moves later, I had lost it. I bought the ebook version as soon as it came out again.

If you could get the Falkenberg series out -- not sure of Baen still has the rights -- that would do us all a service. It has the best manual bar Kratman for dealing with insurrections.

Blogger Bibliotheca Servare September 11, 2017 1:17 AM  

@Tyr

Jerry Pournelle will be remembered long after pathetic trash like io9 has ceased to exist.

Despite that, it never ceases to amaze me how dedicated those sorts of imbeciles are to the task of *emphasizing* their status as pathetic trash. This is just one more example of that phenomenon. A bunch of wretched, pustulent weals upon the body of man.

Blogger Apex_Predator September 11, 2017 1:49 AM  

Just when I'm done thoroughly demonizing you for being myopic and petulant you go and do something magnanimous.

You are not helping my cognitive dissonance in any way, shape, for form. But I do appreciate the free works from a titan of the genre. *hat tip*

Blogger wreckage September 11, 2017 7:58 AM  

@25 Good and bad, Vox is Vox. There's not much point trying to fit him in a box.

Anonymous Realist September 11, 2017 11:41 AM  

Does anyone know if Dr. Pournelle was a Christian?

Blogger VD September 11, 2017 12:10 PM  

Does anyone know if Dr. Pournelle was a Christian?

Yes, he was.

Blogger MTGBalamoor September 11, 2017 5:07 PM  

I am just profoundly sad to hear about Jerry Pournelle's passing. I discovered him late but read everything I could get my hands on by him after a friend gave me a well used copy of "The Mote in Gods eye"

With all the shit that is being published today, losing someone of Dr. Pournelle's caliber is truly devastating.

Blogger Mr Traumaboyy September 13, 2017 3:21 AM  

Wow!! Ender's game!! First time reading it!! This is one more incredible read!!! Of Course...Reading it in the middle of the night at work...some of it runs together!! I remember Ender fighting the enemy from the Naval destroyer while the little girl....oh crap...I just went crosseyed!!

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts