ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2017 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Friday, January 12, 2018

The most hostile work environment on the planet

James Damore's lawsuit is making it clear to everyone just how toxic the work environment is at Google. It is so extreme that even Rod Dreher has taken notice of the lethal convergence.
7. ‘Discourage them all throughout the industry’
“If we really care about diversity in tech, we don’t just need to chase serial offenders out of Google, we need to discourage them all throughout the industry,” a lengthy internal post on Damore read. “We should be willing to give a wink and a nod to other Silicon Valley employers over terminable offenses, not send the worst parts of tech packing with a smile …”

8. ‘I will hurt you’
Damore’s memo prompted another employee to post this quote: “I’m a queer-ass nonbinary trans person that is fucking sick and tired of being told to open a dialogue with people who want me dead. We are at a point where the dialogue we need to be having with these people is ‘if you keep talking about this shit, i will hurt you.”

9. ‘Relies on crowdsourced harassment’
Google encourages employees to enforce unwritten norms by harassing and ostracizing those who break them, according to the suit, and by allowing employees to create “blocklists” on their communications systems. “[Google] relies on crowdsourced harassment and ‘pecking’ to enforce social norms (including politics) that it feels it cannot write directly into its policies,” the suit states.

11. ‘You’re being blacklisted…at companies outside Google’
Google manager Adam Fletcher wrote in 2015 he would never hire conservatives he deemed hold hostile views. “I will never, ever hire/transfer you onto my team,” he wrote. “Ever. I don’t care if you are perfect fit or technically excellent or whatever. I will actively not work with you, even to the point where your team or product is impacted by this decision. I’ll communicate why to your manager if it comes up. You’re being blacklisted by people at companies outside of Google,” he added. “You might not have been aware of this, but people know, people talk. There are always social consequences.”
It's really rather remarkable how completely out of control the big technology companies are. And it's going to be even more remarkable to see how fast they collapse once the artificial circumstances keeping them afloat change. They are like hollow, cancer-ridden giants and I expect that several of them will vanish as soon as the debt-equity bubble pops.

Convergence tends to metastasize after a company hits its peak. We're seeing this in industry after industry, and particularly in corporations whose executives start to believe their position is unassailable.

Labels: , ,

119 Comments:

Anonymous Longtime Lurker January 12, 2018 8:13 AM  

Clear as Day!

Anonymous Jeff January 12, 2018 8:15 AM  

Google Puts

Anonymous Critically Bent January 12, 2018 8:16 AM  

Not only that their positions are "unassailable," but they also have the common illusion described well by Victor Hugo:

"Be it said in passing, that success is a very hideous thing. Its false resemblance to merit deceives men. For the masses, success has almost the same profile as supremacy. Success, that Menæchmus of talent, has one dupe,—history. Juvenal and Tacitus alone grumble at it. In our day, a philosophy which is almost official has entered into its service, wears the livery of success, and performs the service of its antechamber. Succeed: theory. Prosperity argues capacity. Win in the lottery, and behold! you are a clever man."

Anonymous Looking Glass January 12, 2018 8:23 AM  

Convergence tends to metastasize after a company hits its peak.

Huge boom! "Institutional Investors": "You need to hire more people or we'll get angry!". It's after the boom that the parasites look to invade. They'd be unwelcome in an environment where things are tight and will take a lot of work. Convergence requires a lot of work from the SJWs, they don't have time to do their normal jobs, thus they need space where their idle hands can do evil.

Blogger James Dixon January 12, 2018 8:43 AM  

> Convergence tends to metastasize after a company hits its peak.

I think the reorganization of Google into Alphabet was probably the sign that it was post peak and had started its slow fall.

Blogger Johnny January 12, 2018 8:51 AM  

"Prosperity argues capacity. Win in the lottery, and behold! you are a clever man."

A corollary to this that comes from the Texas ranchers is that nothing makes a man smarter than having somebody else discover oil on his land.

Blogger Johnny January 12, 2018 8:52 AM  

Black is white, up is down, and imposing conformity is diversity. Amazing!

Blogger James Dixon January 12, 2018 8:54 AM  

> Google Puts

"Markets can remain irrational a lot longer than you and I can remain solvent" - Often attributed to Keynes, but apparently actually by Gary Shilling.

Blogger Salt January 12, 2018 8:56 AM  

If this gets into oral argument in Court, will Google object to Court being a hostile environment?

Anonymous Tsalal January 12, 2018 9:01 AM  

Somewhat OT

100 corporations beg for DACA to be saved.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/10/more-than-100-ceos-pressure-congress-to-pass-immigration-bill-by-jan-19.html?__source=sharebar|facebook&par=sharebar

A good list of who to boycott and have decorate the lampposts on the DoTR.

Anonymous John January 12, 2018 9:03 AM  

Sorry if this comes off as an attempt at trolling, because that is not what I'm doing. Why shouldn't Google, or any company be able to fire an employee for whatever reason they want? You have no right to a job. Just like how many here say NFL players should be fired for kneeling. I thought the whole kerfluffle was about keeping politics out of the workplace. Damore did not do that, he brought his politics into the workplace.

Blogger JACIII January 12, 2018 9:05 AM  

They all "switch to glide" at some point of success.

Salt wrote:If this gets into oral argument in Court, will Google object to Court being a hostile environment?

2018 IS going to be better than 2017!

Blogger VD January 12, 2018 9:09 AM  

Why shouldn't Google, or any company be able to fire an employee for whatever reason they want?

For the same reason a Christian baker can't refuse to make a cake for a pair of gays and a company can't refuse to hire blacks or women. There is no more right of free association; everyone has lost that right.

Do try to keep up.

Blogger Red Bane January 12, 2018 9:18 AM  

@11
John, are you for real? This is about the expose of a particularly toxic and destructive brand of politics creating hostile work environments for people who just want to get on with the job in hand. Politics is destroying tech

Blogger Bucephalus January 12, 2018 9:25 AM  

I would classify Google as a Shithole.

Trumpslide 2020!

Blogger Unknown January 12, 2018 9:29 AM  

No he didn't. They asked for feedback he gave it. It was not what they wanted to hear. The nail that stands up gets pounded down.

Blogger Unknown January 12, 2018 9:29 AM  

No he didn't. They asked for feedback he gave it. It was not what they wanted to hear. The nail that stands up gets pounded down.

Anonymous Jeff January 12, 2018 9:35 AM  

> Google Puts

@8 JD - "Markets can remain irrational a lot longer than you and I can remain solvent" - Often attributed to Keynes, but apparently actually by Gary Shilling.

That's a great quote. I first heard from Dennis Gartmann who loves to use that phrase.

One is much more likely to remain solvent buying puts (limited downside) than outright shorting (unlimited).

OpenID crapulux January 12, 2018 9:36 AM  

@14 -

In a libertarian or conservative view, Google could fire anyone for any reason, including politics. Companies need to be able to do just that in order to get rid of SJWs, by the way. The alternative would be to legislate against marxism (good luck).

However, as Vox says in @13, that was... once upon a time. It is no longer the case, since the tentacles of the state are firmly dug into everything (association, hiring/firing, etc).

And since liberals created these laws, it is sweet irony to see it backfire...

Anonymous John January 12, 2018 9:40 AM  

> For the same reason a Christian baker can't refuse to make a cake for a pair of gays and a company can't refuse to hire blacks or women. There is no more right of free association; everyone has lost that right.

The situations you presented aren't the same as the Damore one though. A bakery being forced to serve customers, or a company refusing to hire someone has nothing to do with an employer firing you.

Blogger PD Quig January 12, 2018 9:42 AM  

Damore is going to be sorely tempted to settle before going to trial. Let's hope he doesn't.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan January 12, 2018 9:46 AM  

Is Gulag a choke point in a tech economy and do the SJW basically a lunatic cult hold that choke point? I believe it true and they need to be taken down, too bad for the yellow scaled dragon lady "otherkin" who works there, but I did not bombard her with the propaganda that broke her human spirit, so ef em.

And of note Drudge at the top has a very good quote of Ted rot in hell Kennedy's assurance that the 1965 immigration act would not turn the USA into a shithole.

Blogger VD January 12, 2018 9:47 AM  

The situations you presented aren't the same as the Damore one though. A bakery being forced to serve customers, or a company refusing to hire someone has nothing to do with an employer firing you.

They are all based on the same legal principle. Give it up, John. You don't live in a society where an employer has the right that you claim, much less the right to behave in the way Google has behaved.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan January 12, 2018 9:50 AM  

In regards to point #8 above, what mental illness or illnesses is paranoia a symptom of?

Blogger Michael Maier January 12, 2018 9:51 AM  

What was it....

"When we win , do not forget that these people want you broke, dead, your kids raped and brainwashed and they think it's funny" - Sam Hyde

Blogger S1AL January 12, 2018 9:52 AM  

"The situations you presented aren't the same as the Damore one though. A bakery being forced to serve customers, or a company refusing to hire someone has nothing to do with an employer firing you."

You might not be familiar with these things called "laws", but they exist and apply to all of these situations. In fact, they apply even more to the Damore situation.

Actually, you're right that they aren't equal. The Damore fitting is far more clearly illegal.

Anonymous Reenay January 12, 2018 9:54 AM  

John, are you seriously claiming that firing is not subject to the same legal restrictions as hiring or serving?

Anonymous Eduardo January 12, 2018 9:55 AM  

Crapulux

You can pull that off very easily. Start a company and when you have the money and need to hire extra brains or hands, put them through a personality test, this one entirely engineered to spot commies/gammas/lazies.

Let the candidates write as much as they want, they will eventually oust themselves, hire the right-wing and hard working ones.

Voilá!

Anonymous John January 12, 2018 9:56 AM  

>They are all based on the same legal principle. Give it up, John. You don't live in a society where an employer has the right that you claim, much less the right to behave in the way Google has behaved.

I understand your point. I was confused with the extent that at will employment effected this case.

Anonymous John January 12, 2018 9:57 AM  

> John, are you seriously claiming that firing is not subject to the same legal restrictions as hiring or serving?

That was my understanding of at will employment in the US.

Anonymous John January 12, 2018 10:01 AM  

Really "laws", what a novel concept. Are you familiar with "at will employment"?

Anonymous Take The Red Pill January 12, 2018 10:04 AM  

John January 12, 2018 9:40 AM
...
The situations you presented aren't the same as the Damore one though. A bakery being forced to serve customers, or a company refusing to hire someone has nothing to do with an employer firing you.


Oh really? Try explaining THAT to a member of the 'protected groups' (e.g., ethnic minorities, females, gays, etc.) -- and their attorneys -- when they are fired for ambiguous reasons or reasons that THEY just don't personally like.

Anonymous Just another commenter January 12, 2018 10:14 AM  

"should" versus "is," John: it's a "law" that is observed when useful, and ignored when not. Sort of like saying "racism is bad, and we'll punish racism harshly... but only whites can be racist!" I get your point - "at will" does theoretically mean any reason or no reason. But in reality it means "if an attorney can show it wasn't a 'good' reason than it'll be very expensive to do so if it involves any 'protected' class of people who get a higher level of a benefit of a doubt."

The right of free association no longer exists, sadly, at least for straight /white / Christian / men. Don't know if it's coming back soon, or at all.

Anonymous johnc January 12, 2018 10:16 AM  

From a technical / product perspective, Google is absolutely awful and incompetent.

Blogger Johnny January 12, 2018 10:24 AM  

John wrote:The situations you presented aren't the same as the Damore one though. A bakery being forced to serve customers, or a company refusing to hire someone has nothing to do with an employer firing you.
Not a lawyer, I am guessing about terminology here. I think with the baker it is public accommodation. You are largely forced to take your customers as they come in a business. Originally the big deal was excluding blacks, the baker thing extends it to preference based on what amounts to moral values. Disapproval by the masses not allowed. With employment it is equal opportunity employment.

While the legal concepts may be different, the common thread is discrimination. It is the same basic idea in two different areas. As a practical matter enforcement is highly selective and often arbitrary. It is just the folks in charge of stuff forcing the rest of us to comply with their wishes.

Anonymous Roundtine January 12, 2018 10:30 AM  

Either what Google did is wrong, or all civil rights legislation not related to public organizations is now null and void.

Blogger Eric Steiger January 12, 2018 10:31 AM  

Now comes the tricky part, figuring out the opportune time to short Google and cash in on their terminal convergence.

Anonymous Roundtine January 12, 2018 10:36 AM  

Every case you've heard about in the news about company X being racist, the plaintiffs had 99% less evidence than Damore. In most cases they had zero evidence showing the company was racist in the least bit, they only showed that the company had some form of "disparate impact," all they showed was maybe the company had 5% black managers, but 8% black employees, therefore racism. Technically the NBA is a racist organization based on disparate impact. The hoop being 10ft high is a form of discrimination. People laugh but that is pretty much how the law is applied to fire departments. The NFL is racist against black quarterbacks and black OL, also racist against white cornerbacks and running backs, the the league overall is racist against whites using the logic of disparate impact.

Google is in a whole separate league with its bigotry.

Blogger ace January 12, 2018 10:37 AM  

John gives a typical conservative reaction. Free association is not the law of the land.

Anonymous Philalethes January 12, 2018 10:39 AM  

@11 John:

Why shouldn't Google, or any company….

Goolag is not a "company", it is a corporation: an artificial "person" created by the State, and endowed with special privileges ("limited liability"), enforced by the State's monopoly of force, which provide it a decisive advantage over real, natural persons in the market. So long as corporations exist, there is no free market; trying to act as if there is only puts you at a serious disadvantage.

We didn't make these rules, we don't like them, we would rather not have them. However, we are forced to live by them. So why not play to win, rather than "nobly" losing all the time? Perhaps if we win, we can change the rules to something that makes sense — but certainly not until then. Meanwhile we can at least have the satisfaction of making our enemies live by the same rules they've forced on us.

As Vox said, do try to keep up.

Blogger Wuzzums Fuzzums January 12, 2018 10:41 AM  

Because bakeries you usually don't get large state subsidies nor have access to all your private information. Furthermore Damore did exactly what Google did. If Google brought politics into business why can't Damore do the same?

Live by political correctness, die by political correctness.

Anonymous Roundtine January 12, 2018 10:42 AM  

figuring out the opportune time to short Google

This stuff rarely kills a company by itself. If you shorted Twitter, you've lost money because stocks tend to rise together. Rising tides hide a lot of naked swimmers to borrow from Buffett.

You have to wait for the next recession or next market top. Then ad revenue will plunge. Google's stock will fall 50+% along with every other similar business solely because of macro economic reasons. But that is when this stuff starts working against them because suddenly all the stock options are near worthless. A lot of people are probably hanging on at Google because they can make money with stock options. Once that's gone, and cash is gone so no bonuses, then talent floods out the door. And if the SJWs are involved in HR during downsizing, then it's definitely over for Google.

Blogger James Dixon January 12, 2018 10:43 AM  

> Why shouldn't Google, or any company be able to fire an employee for whatever reason they want?

Because, whether you and I like it or not, the government has decided they can't. California in particular has rather extreme laws on the matter.

> One is much more likely to remain solvent buying puts (limited downside) than outright shorting (unlimited).

True. But make sure you understand how limited that downside actually is.

> The situations you presented aren't the same as the Damore one though.

They are exactly the same. Read the laws listed in Damore's complaint.

> Are you familiar with "at will employment"?

Quite. The laws override it. Read them. You might need a lawyer at hand to explain the legal meanings.

Blogger S1AL January 12, 2018 10:48 AM  

'Really "laws", what a novel concept. Are you familiar with "at will employment"?'

Are you claiming that different states have different laws?

Shocking, just shocking.

Where is Google incorporated, again?

Anonymous Jack Amok January 12, 2018 10:48 AM  

Really "laws", what a novel concept. Are you familiar with "at will employment"?

Good grief are you that ignorant? Can I fire someone for being Black? For being gay? Female? Did you know that CA state law specifically forbids firing someone for their political affiliation? Has been that way for many years.


Blogger pyrrhus January 12, 2018 10:50 AM  

@40 There's a huge difference between Google, which currently makes a lot of money, and Twitter, which loses billions every year. Twitter is only kept afloat by constant infusions of capital, which in a financial panic would disappear overnight.

Blogger James Dixon January 12, 2018 10:53 AM  

> Where is Google incorporated, again?

Delaware, I believe. But Damore worked in California, and the firing is thus subject to California law too.

Blogger owlish January 12, 2018 10:53 AM  

And, if I remember correctly, California specifically has a can't fire for their political beliefs law.

Blogger Silly but True January 12, 2018 10:54 AM  

Anyone remember when Denny's was forced to pay $54m in 1994 because a few people had to wait to be seated?

Anonymous TechieDude January 12, 2018 10:55 AM  

It's rare you get to see such a supernova of a bozo explosion in realtime. Usually these companies simply fizzle out.

What's funny is, although I didn't look real hard at the authors of such bile filled posts on their internal social site, it seemed that most of them weren't actually hardcore engineers. Most seemed in supporting apparatus roles. I've been in this industry a long time and I recall few that write code that would fit into that culture. Might be me though.

Blogger OGRE January 12, 2018 10:56 AM  

Its not really an issue of Employment at Will as there are numerous limitations that have long been an exception to that theory. In the broadest sense, employment at will means that an employer or employee can terminate their relationship at any time for any reason--or even for no reason--but not for a "bad" reason. The most commonly understood bad reasons would be things like race, religion, sex, disability not impacting one's ability to perform the job, worker's comp status, whistleblower status, etc.

Theres also issues of 'implied contract' between the employer and employee, such that one party actively working against the other's interests in the employment relationship can be held to be in breech of an implied employment contract. (All contractual relationships have this implied agreement that the parties won't actively seek to undermine the contractual interests of the other party. You can't enter into a contract then take actions to prevent the other side from fulfilling their obligations of the agreement either directly or indirectly. e.g. A commercial landlord can't organize a boycott of its tenant in order to cause them to lose business and be unable to pay their rent.)

Most if not all states have statutes prohibiting an employer from taking actions to coerce or control an employees political activities. This is more a matter of public policy than one of employment, as the reason for such statutes is to prevent employers from wielding undue influence in politics and government. For instance, it would be an extreme violation to require an employee to provide proof that he voted a certain way in an election. For similar reasons an employer is prevented from taking actions to influence and control other political activities of its employees. This is the main thrust of the Damore complaint, as California has a statute explicitly prohibiting this kind of conduct. (There are obvious exceptions to this, such churches or political organizations themselves, but even they have limitations on what kind of political activity they can require or control in their employees.)

The Damore complaint further alleges racial and gender discrimintation against male and Caucasians, which is also a violation of anti-discrimination employment statutes. Theres also claims of retaliatory conduct for providing information to government and regulatory agencies ('whistleblowing') for violations of these statutes and for bringing such violations to the attention of the employer.

So its not really affecting Employment at Will in any way beyond the limitations that have already been in place. Some states, such as California, specifically prohibit hiring and firing based on political affiliation. Others prohibit employers from punishing employees for political activity, such as attending a campaign fund raiser. And almost all prohibit coercing political activity, such as requiring attendance at a campaign fund raiser. These limitations are weaker with regard to hiring decisions, as its not coercive to refuse to enter into a relationship; but once the relationship is established the employer can't use the threat of punishment or termination in order to influence political activity.

Blogger pyrrhus January 12, 2018 10:57 AM  

@11 "At will" employment, which doesn't exist fully in any State, merely means that an employer does not have a contract with the employee, and therefore can terminate the relationship at any time. It doesn't mean the employer can abuse the employee. More important, it doesn't allow the employer to tortiously interfere with the employee's future employment. Google giving negative info to other prospective employers, or conspiring with them, is clearly tortious, and in my original home State of IL, many successful lawsuits have been brought against such conduct. This is why most employers in the Midwest will not give negative references, or will not give any references...

Blogger pyrrhus January 12, 2018 11:01 AM  

Some of the statements in the Damore complaint, if they can be substantiated, would enrage most juries, so Google will not want to go to trial unless they can somehow rig the case with a friendly judge. Even then, probably bad idea to try the case.

Blogger Eric Steiger January 12, 2018 11:03 AM  

@11 Damore only "brought his politics into the workplace" when Google specifically requested input from employees on the issue. Perhaps familiarize yourself with the details of the situation before pontificating.

Blogger Johnny January 12, 2018 11:07 AM  

@49 OGRE

I agree in general, but just to point out, our government is into heavy duty and selective enforcement. The legal cost of defying government is so great that the general principle gets lost. It ends up being what the government wants.

Anonymous Jack Amok January 12, 2018 11:12 AM  

Google giving negative info to other prospective employers, or conspiring with them, is clearly tortious, and in my original home State of IL, many successful lawsuits have been brought against such conduct. This is why most employers in the Midwest will not give negative references, or will not give any references...

Not just the Midwest. Pac Northwest too. Microsoft HR policy was exceptionally clear that the only reference a manager at MSFT could give for a former employee was to confirm the dates of employment, but no other details, and specifically no performance indications, positive or negative.

Google on the face of it is snorkel deep in liability. They've exposed themselves on multiple fronts. The only two questions are, will Google buy Damore off before it goes to trial, and - if they don't - will CA actually enforce it's laws if they're inconvenient to the narrative.

Anonymous John January 12, 2018 11:16 AM  

>
Good grief are you that ignorant? Can I fire someone for being Black? For being gay? Female? Did you know that CA state law specifically forbids firing someone for their political affiliation? Has been that way for many years.

I did not know that about California. However in most states at will employment means you can be fired for any number of reasons and without the employer showing just cause.

I do know understand that their are three major exemptions from this, and that California utilizes all three.

Blogger James Dixon January 12, 2018 11:19 AM  

> ...will CA actually enforce it's laws if they're inconvenient to the narrative.

Ah, that's the rub, isn't it?

Anonymous John January 12, 2018 11:23 AM  

After reading the many replies to my original and subsequent posts I have revised my opinion. I had to brush up on some of the exemptions and the like, but I see know where posters in this thread are coming from. I am however cynical enough to believe that nothing with come of this lawsuit. Damore will either receive a nice settlement, or Google will find a judge who agrees with them.

Blogger James Dixon January 12, 2018 11:25 AM  

> Damore will either receive a nice settlement, or Google will find a judge who agrees with them.

Given the costs and potential liability of the latter, the former is the more likely.

Blogger Dire Badger January 12, 2018 11:26 AM  

Millions of dollars in settlement money is hard to turn down, especially if you are unemployed in California.

If we want this to go to court and become a 'thing' we need to do a gofundme or something for Damore.

Blogger Dire Badger January 12, 2018 11:28 AM  

“I’m a queer-ass nonbinary trans person that is fucking sick and tired of being told to open a dialogue with people who want me dead. We are at a point where the dialogue we need to be having with these people is ‘if you keep talking about this shit, i will hurt you.”"

We don't want you dead. We just don't want you. The dead part you are statistically more likely to handle yourself.

Blogger OGRE January 12, 2018 11:30 AM  

Its a class action lawsuit. Theres different factors in play than just the representative plaintiff deciding hes happy with a payout. The court has to approve any settlement, and every member of the class is to be notified of the proposed settlement and given an opportunity to raise any objections.

Anonymous Avalanche January 12, 2018 11:31 AM  

@10 We should FLOOD them with complaints and public boycotts!

OOH! And make all the companies provide the NUMBERS of just how many DACA illegals they are paying! Is this real or posturing?!

Blogger Nate73 January 12, 2018 11:35 AM  

Is it true Google's algorithm is patented, and that's what keeps other companies from competing with them? I assume their adwords revenue would run out before the patent though.

Anonymous Napoleon 12pdr January 12, 2018 11:41 AM  

The question at this point will be whether or not this becomes a class action suit. Google can settle with Damore for a large fistful of dollars (I'd estimate $20M). Against a class? They may wind up owning a third of Google.

Anonymous CPEG January 12, 2018 11:41 AM  

@Roundtine
"The hoop being 10ft high is a form of discrimination. People laugh but that is pretty much how the law is applied to fire departments."

.........
For now.
I mean, it IS inherently discriminatory.
I think the line I've heard the most on that topic is, "But short scrawny women would be better for crawling through tight corridors! What if the firefighters need somebody to crawl through a tight corridor?"

Anonymous Gen. Kong January 12, 2018 11:46 AM  

What folks are forgetting is that the courts and legal system James Damore is relying upon are even more thoroughly converged than Goolag is (if that's possible). The same courts that ruled Christian bakers must bake cakes for gay weddings will be deciding the merits of Damore's case. All else is more ghost-dancing. The "law" means only what SJW-blackrobe says it means. In other words, there is no real law, only the whims of SJW blackrobes - not one of whom has been removed from the bench, and who regularly issue orders to the "God-Emperor" which are obeyed.

Anonymous Avalanche January 12, 2018 11:46 AM  

@47 "Anyone remember when Denny's was forced to pay $54m in 1994 because a few people had to wait to be seated?"

They weren't people. They were parasites on the body politic.

Anonymous Gen. Kong January 12, 2018 11:50 AM  

Nate73 wrote:
Is it true Google's algorithm is patented, and that's what keeps other companies from competing with them? I assume their adwords revenue would run out before the patent though.

Patents are only good for 20 years. They're not like copyrights or trademarks, which are close to being perpetual for all intents and purposes.

Anonymous Avalanche January 12, 2018 11:54 AM  

@66 "The "law" means only what SJW-blackrobe says it means. In other words, there is no real law, only the whims of SJW blackrobes - not one of whom has been removed from the bench, and who regularly issue orders to the "God-Emperor" which are obeyed."

Yes, that's horribly dismaying -- but it also opens the door for a case (many cases?) to reach the Supremes -- who do, after all, have the almost final word. (Congress CAN make laws...)

And thus we need to "primary out" the RINOs, NeverTrumpers and Dems! I worry a bit that Darth Bannon HAS in fact leapt off a cliff: who, then, will lead / be the front face of IDing our future legislators?

Blogger Andoc January 12, 2018 11:57 AM  

This reminds me Europe has been succesful for way too long...

Anonymous Gen. Kong January 12, 2018 12:05 PM  

On the topic of Goolag and big tech in general, Z-man observes that the age of real innovation seems to have passed on, since the tech giants are now merely tax-farmers who run 'adult day-care centers where mentally disturbed women terrorize the few people doing real work'. Another example of the total convergence of the court system is mentioned by Z-man as well "Volkswagen is facing a criminal probe over gaming the emissions system, while Apple faces none for tampering with your phone." Hitler phones indeed.

Blogger James Dixon January 12, 2018 12:07 PM  

> Patents are only good for 20 years.

Yes. And the original Pagerank patent was filed on Jan 9, 1998, a thus may have just expired. See https://www.google.com/patents/US6285999

Anonymous BBigGayKoranBurner January 12, 2018 12:08 PM  

“I’m a queer-ass nonbinary trans person that is fucking sick and tired of being told to open a dialogue with people who want me dead.

Keep in mind you want him dead if you don't want your taxes to pay $60,000 a year per person for aids meds, or $1,500+ per month to take Truvada Prep instead of condoms. Even telling gays that Truvada will F#CK their liver/kidneys gets you called a bigot.

Blogger Tinidril January 12, 2018 12:13 PM  

It seems that Google maintains an army of people who do nothing all day but purposefully infringe on the first amendment rights of others, indulge in their perverted fetishes, and harass and witch hunt any suspected conservative out of the workplace. This has got to be a byproduct of its pledge to diversity. They hire all these incompetent weirdos to check their boxes (notice all the trannies) then let them harass all day on the company dime! What idiocy.

Regarding Damore, he was fired because he attended some company diversity training sessions that specifically asked for feedback from attendees. In addition, Damore's memo is directly dealing with workplace conditions and harassment/discrimination against people based on race and gender (white men) which is illegal based on federal law, and political discrimination which is illegal under California law (if I have read correctly.) His concerns directly relate to work conditions, which is totally the opposite of the NFL activism which has nothing to do with anything but personal politics.

Blogger Ken Prescott January 12, 2018 12:33 PM  

John, either you are an idiot, a troll, or an idiotic troll.

If you could be so courteous as to explain which specific one you are, it would save much time and aggro.

Bottom line, the GOOG has had an improper relationship with the canine, and they did not use protection.

Just waiting for the Goolagist to injure someone at an Antifa riot...and Goolag getting yanked into discovery.

Blogger Ingot9455 January 12, 2018 12:48 PM  

@65 We hire halflings and dwarves for that kind of work.

Anonymous Jack Amok January 12, 2018 12:58 PM  

I did not know that about California. However in most states at will employment means you can be fired for any number of reasons and without the employer showing just cause.

I'm glad that you're coming around on this. Now, the next step is addressing the systemic mistake you made. You have a vision of how you think the world should be (not a bad one either, I'd like a world where "employment at will" was a valid thing too), but you're not paying sufficient attention to how the world actually *is*. "Employment at will" has been a compromised concept for decades, and you know the compromises have been used to put White men at a disadvantage.

The criticism you got here could be summarized as "your bow-tie is askew." You can fix that by ditching the bow-tie.

Blogger Lovekraft January 12, 2018 1:00 PM  

So how would Orwell's 1984 and Big Brother translate to, say, India? Would that culture be susceptible to its warning or is it so far gone that it wouldn't cause a ripple?

Anonymous Jack Amok January 12, 2018 1:01 PM  

What folks are forgetting is that the courts and legal system James Damore is relying upon are even more thoroughly converged than Goolag...

Eh, the courts are a crap-shoot. It's not guaranteed one way or another.

Blogger Lovekraft January 12, 2018 1:16 PM  

It has become apparent that the apocalyptic-level of rage exhibited by the left on all levels (from the Mexican illegal to the Judd Apatows) was more an expression of fear.

Fear of being exposed and held to the standards they pushed on conservatives (or any free thinker, for that matter).

Fear makes a man/woman/otherkin desperate and dangerous. They are being restrained and hope that they can regain power (another Obamasavior) in order to exact their vengeance.

Anonymous Ominous Cowherd January 12, 2018 1:33 PM  

Dire Badger wrote:“I’m a queer-ass nonbinary trans person that is fucking sick and tired of being told to open a dialogue with people who want me dead. We are at a point where the dialogue we need to be having with these people is ‘if you keep talking about this shit, i will hurt you.”"

We don't want you dead. We just don't want you.


Don't want you dead, don't want you live, we don't want you in our hive. Don't want you there, don't want you here, it's not just because you're queer. Don't want you high, don't want you low, just don't want you, go, Go, GO!

All the non-whatever, hyphenated-whatever, trans-whatever, other-whatever whatever-they-ares have to go back.

Anonymous Mr. Rational January 12, 2018 1:34 PM  

@64  See yesterday's comment.  What's more interesting is what the class would do with a big chunk of ownership if they got it.  Remove corporate management for malfeasance and clear out the deadwood?  They certainly know who the deadwood are.

@66  I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of interlocutory appeals and a change of venue.

@71  Bad example with VW vs. Apple.  You should know why.

Anonymous Grayman January 12, 2018 1:39 PM  

@80

Its fear that perhaps their hallucination of the world is false... if everyone isnt equal good ole miss dragom skin isnt going to be very high on the foodchain, same with Xir queer-ass.
Then again they already know this and are starting to panic when they can force everyone to believe their fairy tale. On a related note, the god-emporer's "shit-hole" comment was georgeous. The left has no response to that.If you support immigration of 3rd world welfare cases you hate blacks (because that is who loses their job). if you support stem immigrants you hate brown people, because you are stealing their best and brightest. Oh and as has been said 100 times, if these countries arent shitholes, great send them all back tomorrow.

Anonymous Steve Canyon January 12, 2018 1:43 PM  

From a legal standpoint, it looks like a fairly open and shut case the way the laws' are written.

So was the Steinle case.

Stack the jury with 7 pink haired xe types, or any other ethnicity that thinks the daily rate for jury duty of $15 is a bonus to their EBT card, and legal considerations aside, he's a screwed pooch.

He wins, good on him. He loses, it's another indicator that the rule of law has been thrown out the window and it's effectively mob rule organized along the lines of identity. That doesn't bode well for civil stability.

Anonymous BBGKB January 12, 2018 2:18 PM  

Eh, the courts are a crap-shoot. It's not guaranteed one way or another

If your judge, a godless bacon eating jew be,
get paid if in the wrong bathroom you pee.

Blogger tublecane January 12, 2018 2:20 PM  

"non-binary trans person"

How can one be non-binary *and* trans? "Trans" means to go from one sex or gender to another. "Non-binary" means you're beyond the male/female distinction. You can't be "trans" without the distinction.

These weirdos carelessly double-up on categories* to rack up Diversity Pokemon Points. They think I'm not paying attention because it's too icky to think about, but I'm onto them.

*When they're not contradicting themselves, they're repeating the same thing in different words, as if I were to call myself white and pallid and milky and chalky.

Blogger Snidely Whiplash January 12, 2018 2:27 PM  

tublecane wrote:How can one be non-binary *and* trans? "Trans" means to go from one sex or gender to another. "Non-binary" means you're beyond the male/female distinction. You can't be "trans" without the distinction.
It is not trans-sexual, it is trans-person. It identifies as an expansive and beautiful building, and therefore no longer a person, per se, at all.
Yes, really. This is the claim.
No I'm not making fun of it.

Blogger tublecane January 12, 2018 2:30 PM  

@11-"He brought his politics into the workplace"

Google specifically solicited employees' opinions on the diversity issue. They expected hosannas to the status quo, of course, but Damore writing a memo about the statistical distribution of technological skill is perfectly within the bounds of the subject. And it wasn't explicitly political, anyway. That's just what people inferred.

OpenID widlast January 12, 2018 2:31 PM  

"it is trans-person"

I have learned to never expect sense from the senseless.
When they claim to no longer be persons you know that their society has left any kind of reason behind.

Blogger tublecane January 12, 2018 2:34 PM  

@87-It really should say "trans-person" or "transperson," in that case.

If it is not a person, I can see why it's afraid people want it dead. Because you wouldn't need to be afraid of murder charges for killing a someone who isn't a person.

By the way, that's a pretty cheap way to achieve "transhumanism." I always thought people looking forward to that had psychological problems, and this speaks in favor of that.

Blogger tublecane January 12, 2018 2:43 PM  

@29-"at will employment" is irrelevant. California has labor laws, including ones covering things an employer CAN'T fire people for.

They're not very obscure laws, and have been all over the news in relation to the Damore case. Do keep up.

Anonymous bbgkb January 12, 2018 2:47 PM  

Why shouldn't Google, or any company be able to fire an employee for whatever reason they want?

Bitch you better be baking me a cake. Make it red velvet

'protected groups' (e.g., ethnic minorities, females, gays, etc.) -- and their attorneys -- when they are fired for ambiguous reasons or reasons that THEY just don't personally like

Trust me any black fired from anywhere has massive documentation, while a white female nurse can be summarily fired before having a chance to explain herself.

I think with the baker it is public accommodation.

That's only for cakes big enough for lesbians to live inside.

But short scrawny women would be better for crawling through tight corridors! What if the firefighters need somebody to crawl through a tight corridor?"

I assure you that they will not be better crawling down a tight corridor with the same weight of gear on. In the army my medic platoon got a LT with a runners build that talked smack until everyone including him had to go for a run with 30 lbs of IV bags in a backpack

Blogger tublecane January 12, 2018 2:52 PM  

@61-Yeah, but I'm practice not every Joe Blow member of the class can demand trial. Usually the primary players call the shots.

Blogger Ceerilan January 12, 2018 3:02 PM  

For society to prosper, James Damore's suit can't just win. It has to include billions in punitive damages AND top to bottom firings. Anything less will permit bigotry to win.

Blogger James Dixon January 12, 2018 3:05 PM  

> It identifies as an expansive and beautiful building, and therefore no longer a person, per se, at all.

So does Google pay their buildings now?

Blogger Snidely Whiplash January 12, 2018 3:23 PM  

So does Google pay their buildings now?
Same as they pay wingless dragon otherkin, it turns out.

Blogger Duke Norfolk January 12, 2018 3:27 PM  

“I’m a queer-ass nonbinary trans person that is fucking sick and tired of being told to open a dialogue with people who want me dead. We are at a point where the dialogue we need to be having with these people is ‘if you keep talking about this shit, i will hurt you.”


Bring it you f'ing head case. Please, bring it.

Blogger seeingsights January 12, 2018 3:47 PM  

You can read the lawsuit here:

https://www.scribd.com/document/368692388/James-Damore-Lawsuit

Anonymous Didas Kalos January 12, 2018 3:52 PM  

The whole world liveth in wickedness. The enemy never stops. Eternal diligence is always required.

Blogger lowercaseb January 12, 2018 3:53 PM  

Duke Norfolk wrote:“I’m a queer-ass nonbinary trans person that is fucking sick and tired of being told to open a dialogue with people who want me dead. We are at a point where the dialogue we need to be having with these people is ‘if you keep talking about this shit, i will hurt you.”

Bring it you f'ing head case. Please, bring it.


Be careful Duke...Zhe might says some EXTREMELY hurtful things about your outfit. Zhe means buisness!

Blogger seeingsights January 12, 2018 3:53 PM  

@84

I was going to make a comment similar to yours. Only thing I'll add is that contrary to what some of us would like to see, I think Damore should settle. Jury decisions are too much of a crapshoot nowadays. Not even a pretty white woman can get justice.

OpenID widlast January 12, 2018 4:06 PM  

It amuses me no end how these perverts are so willing to make threats from a position of complete safety. I'd wager most of them couldn't beat there way out of a wet paper bag.
That high soy diet must be hell on testosterone levels.

OpenID widlast January 12, 2018 4:08 PM  

their* - Kante spehl theez dayz

Anonymous Bukulu January 12, 2018 4:19 PM  

Are you, in turn, familiar with "California"?

Blogger seeingsights January 12, 2018 4:30 PM  

It has been discussed: How to fight SJW convergence? I see two ways mentioned here, and I'll mention a third:

1. Follow the non-fiction writings of Vox Day. It shouldn't be surprising that Google has banned Vox Day from its campus, for Vox Day is a mortal threat to SJWs.

2. Use, or create, alternate platforms. I'm optimistic about this. Business history shows that once large and powerful companies have declined, or even went extinct.

3. Take over companies/institutions. This is my suggestion. Infiltrate organizations just like the Communists and their sympathizers did decades ago. Gather intelligence, keep electronic records, and put it on the internet. Damore's lawsuit is freely available on the internet. Another way it to counter-taker a company is to buy it. As a small investor, I own stock, alas, in converged companies such as Pepsi and Google. I would gladly join in efforts at a hostile takeover of such companies.

Anonymous Bukulu January 12, 2018 4:35 PM  

People keep saying 'courts', but note the plaintiffs are demanding a jury trial.

Blogger Zeroh Tollrants January 12, 2018 4:38 PM  

They asked him to settle already, & he turned them down, from what I understood, he has said. Is that not the case?

Anonymous Bukulu January 12, 2018 4:43 PM  

Nope. As somebody somewhere pointed out, this is lawfare: it would be a disaster to stop before discovery.

Blogger seeingsights January 12, 2018 4:44 PM  

@ 106

Even if that was the case, that doesn't prevent Damore from settling later.
By letting the case proceed further, Damore can extract a bigger settlement later.

Blogger LP9 January 12, 2018 4:55 PM  

Quit!

Blogger Ingot9455 January 12, 2018 5:46 PM  

Put it this way: even if some crappy California judge throws in roadblocks and screws it all up, Damore can make all his money back by writing a book on the subject and selling it.

Blogger OGRE January 12, 2018 5:47 PM  

If the case gets certified as a class action (and theres no guarantee that it will) then its not so simple as Damore just accepting a settlement offer he likes. Theres a process involved, whereas in a non-class action suit you pretty much just file the papers and its done. In a class action there is a hearing on the settlement proposal, after notice and an opportunity to object to the settlement has been given to all class members, and the judge has to approve the proposed settlement ensuring that it protects the interests of the entire class. Damore couldn't even voluntarily dismiss the suit without court approval once its certified.

Blogger Thucydides January 12, 2018 6:42 PM  

All the more reason to support Alt-tech to the hilt. Google and the other converged tech companies will emerge from the lawsuit (win or lose) prepared to "double down" and wreak havoc and destroy all their perceived enemies, so there will be some very nasty and unsettling times in the tech industry, and downstream in the Internet as well.

Anonymous CoolHand January 12, 2018 7:58 PM  

Snidely Whiplash wrote:tublecane wrote:How can one be non-binary *and* trans? "Trans" means to go from one sex or gender to another. "Non-binary" means you're beyond the male/female distinction. You can't be "trans" without the distinction.

It is not trans-sexual, it is trans-person. It identifies as an expansive and beautiful building, and therefore no longer a person, per se, at all.

Yes, really. This is the claim.

No I'm not making fun of it.


Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase, "Built like a brick shithouse."

Anonymous Jack Amok January 13, 2018 1:57 AM  

it identifies as an expansive and beautiful building

Snidely, there is literally NO PLACE in society for fat shaming a building by calling it expansive.

Blogger Invisible Man January 13, 2018 4:48 AM  

The sjw diversity inclusive phony self-righteous crowd must be laid to rest. I hate them, HATE them.

Anonymous Siobhan January 13, 2018 4:57 PM  

Google compensates the rank and file with GSUs (Google's flavor of RSUs) rather than incentive stock options. They also can increase or decrease the # of GSUs granted based on employee performance. If the stock dropped 50% and they wanted to retain talent they'd just up the number of GSUs.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts