ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2018 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Saturday, May 12, 2018

Mailvox: Infinity War review

A longtime Marvel fan is very unhappy with the new Marvel blockbuster. Warning, SEVERE spoilers after the fold. Do NOT read this if you do not want to know what happens in the movie. It will ruin it for you, to the extent that is actually possible.

Loved the Marvel Universe, loved Guardians of the Galaxy and the Avengers, some of the best Sci Fi made IMHO.  Didn’t really like the last Thor movie, thought they mocked and attempted to de empower him, but hey, allowed Thor to exercise his comedy chops, no harm.

Then came Infinity War.  And I realized the blogs I have been reading are right.  They HATE us.  There is no other explanation for this. 



You take the Marvel Universe, gather all the heroes together, let the Evil win and kill off half of the galaxy.  Half!  Including half of your hero characters.  Think about a guest director on an episode of any of the Star Trek TV shows; just kill off half of the universe and half of the crew.  Then hand it back to the regular team “ there!  Fixed it for you, all those pesky heroes are gone, no need to thank me”

I understand sacrificing key characters in support of the story and the narrative; Spock, Groot, Han.  I mourned but I didn’t whinge, in the story line it made sense.  But this movie made no sense and there is no recovering from this unless they do a loopy this-was-just-a-dream/time-warp-fooled-you deus ex machina crap.

We go to movies for enjoyment, for fun, for escape, and yes, for a little bit of hope.  I have that quote from Second Hand Lions on my wall

“Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things that a man needs to believe in the most: that people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; that love, true love, never dies... No matter if they're true or not, a man should believe in those things because those are the things worth believing in.”

Where was any of this in Infinity War?  Nothing our heroes did made a damn bit of difference.  And whenever they tried to do a noble sacrifice? Magical Bubbles appeared (and more than once). The Hulk?  For no reason every made clear in the previous cannon the Hulk is de empowered and made a figure of fun.  True love?  Let em watch each other die with no gain or reason other than Reasons!  Thor?  Beaten to a pulp and all his people killed including Loki, but Natasha (a human grrl) can beat them back to a standstill?  Iron Man and Dr. Strange?  Let’s have them at each other’s throats.  I am sorry, but it seemed very clear to me all that was happening was the folks at Disney et al were just trying to shit all over a beloved universe and its fans.  And oh guess what?  The Evil was doing it for Climate Change Reasons???  Kill half the galaxy to save the galaxy because humans are a pestilence?  Seriously?

This wasn’t just a bad movie, this was a deliberate attempt to attack and hurt the fans and their love for this  universe.  I get sacrifice and I get losing characters, I do.  But yah know, I don’t watch Macbeth because of the Everyone Dies routine.  When you take that cheap out way of attempting drama, you end up with no one left to carry the story.  Ah, they can just fill out with more a not a white male remakes and attempt to sell it to an new and different audience.  One that doesn’t love sci fi or superheroes, that will not be paying to watch.  But that appears to be the whole idea, isn’t it?  Take it over and destroy it.  If I stop watching these movies, they win.  If I keep watching these movies, they win.

Any hope for a Dread Ilk Movie project?

Actually, it sounds as if George Martin would have benefited heavily from such an approach. And yes, there very likely will be a movie project down the road. But first things first....

Labels: ,

137 Comments:

Blogger Jamie-R May 12, 2018 8:14 AM  

Their war through pop-culture, previously not noticed because it was low-fi, is getting nasty. The Gatekeepers are being noticed, & it's hard to put that genie back in the bottle. Once people begin to think 'what if the people teaching me this stuff that is critical of my country & my history are invaders who had no plans to be friendly?' all this other stuff begins to fall into place. It's hard to topple a country whose culture has been powerful & which you previously contributed to because it was advancing your agenda anyway. But now that it's not? It's going to get rocky.

Blogger Lovekraft May 12, 2018 8:21 AM  

The 1991 6-issue Infinity Gauntlet series (written by Starlin, drawn by Perez, inked by Rubenstein) was essentially about Thanos trying to subdue/win over Death (who took the form of a beautiful, silent woman). Thanos was a nihilist who thought his various actions (such as annihilating half the sentient beings in the universe) would impress her.

This failed and Thanos was eventually defeated by his inability to handle unlimited power (or his eventual loss of confidence).

This 'loss of will to power' as the fatal flaw is also in Mark Millar's outstanding "Old Man Logan" arc. If you've read it, you know what eventually made Logan sheath them for fifty years.

Two contrasting stories: one's loss of will resulted in victory over evil. The other resulted in the hero regaining purpose.

Blogger Trid May 12, 2018 8:27 AM  

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is "Magic Bubbles"?

Blogger HalibetLector May 12, 2018 8:27 AM  

If I stop watching these movies, they win. If I keep watching these movies, they win.

If you stop watching these movies, they lose revenue. If you keep watching these movies, they win revenue.

If they keep losing revenue and go out of business, it creates an opportunity right wing people to disrupt and crack open the industry.

Stop giving them your money. Let them destroy themselves and put themselves out of business. I pray to god the right takes advantage of the opportunity.

Blogger VoodooJock May 12, 2018 8:30 AM  

Kill off beloved characters means you replace them with far worse and far more politically correct ones.

Blogger Jamie-R May 12, 2018 8:31 AM  

Even the egos on our side.... I note that Q put up a post that went line for line through the attempts to demote its status as larping. But clearly Trump has some involvement because he notices when influential alternative media decides to publicly turn against him & insult him & his family. It's a long game but it has consequences. Alex Jones is THE smart & savvy alternative media guy, and he gets views/ratings like Trump does. He'll survive this dressing down, but it doesn't go unnoticed that he tried to hijack the movement by allowing Corsi a YT channel not directly linked to Infowars as the 'inside scoop'. The man who makes the 'insider' element & 'conspiracy' his own didn't appreciate being co-opted by someone who has access to it all.

I don't know why Alex Jones thought he could tussle with Trump even accidentally & not retreat with his tail between his legs. Attacking Q via Corsi & any acolytes of his in alternative media was a bad idea.

Someone forgot to listen to the audio chapter on Trump on Revenge from his book Think Big & Kick Ass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIFWX0Vvs2M\

How hard is it to understand that at this point in American history the only man with the cultural moxy of his own nation & the power and timing to put it all together is Trump. So many on the Right even consistent elements are taking L's for what, for silly reasons. It's not good business. I note you've stayed true Vox. A steady hand always wins the race.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan May 12, 2018 8:33 AM  

Dark Herald recommended it.

Blogger Ransom Smith May 12, 2018 8:40 AM  

They already have another movie wcheduels for next year .
So the effects of this movie by and large won't even be permanent .
Bewodes, superhereo fatigue has gotta be right around the corner .

Blogger Cataline Sergius May 12, 2018 8:41 AM  

Mr.MantraMan wrote:Dark Herald recommended it.



And I stand by my recommendation.


Be advised unless you torrent it from somewhere, you will be paying money to the beast that is trying to kill us. You will be giving money to Disney. If that is a deal breaker for you, then skip it.

So why am I recommending it? Simple, because it's good. No, not merely good...it is easily the best Marvel film ever made. It took them ten years to do it but Marvel has finally answered the challenge of The Dark Knight.

The truly amazing thing about this film is that it should have been a complete mess.

It was a film where there were twenty-something character that were all going to require some bit of fan service or their individual fanbase would be pissed. But this movie pulled it off.

It was a film where audience expectations were completely subverted and I am not referring to Captain America's dumb ass beard and long hair (holy crap, he's going to wearing a man-bun next). Star Wars: The Last Jedi attempted to do that and failed so completely Kathleen Kennedy may have killed the franchise for another twenty years. But this movie pulled it off.

It was a film. A superhero film where the villain is the star. The Dark Knight came close to that but ultimately it was a Batman and not a Joker film. This was a Thanos film. That shouldn't have worked. But this movie pulled it off.

Blogger L' Aristokrato May 12, 2018 8:43 AM  

Nobody died. This is the plot for the original story. Thanos erases half the universe, but then it's reversed when he's defeated.

There are many valid complaints to be made about the movie; Not the least of which being how Thanos' plot makes no sense(or how some retards think he's a hero), and the ever-changing levels of powers and skills displayed by the characters. "A bunch of heroes die", however, is not one, as it was always going to happen, based on the source material. If that's the concern, just wait til the next movie, wherein everyone will be back. Or better yet, don't, and stop giving Disney your money.

Blogger Howard Stone May 12, 2018 8:45 AM  

In the first scene of AIW they proselytize some new age religion based on the Big Bang theory and evolution, and I’m like ‘yup, this is what this has always been about.’ It’s idolatry, and the superheroes are the pantheon of false gods. The Marvel Universe is a Universe without Christ.

And people shouldn’t worry about spoilers ruining this movie, the movie is garabage. I’ll never watch another.

Speaking of movies though, Kent Hovind deserves a biopic, and the film production company that does it, and does it justice, is going to do very well, I’m talking lines around the block.

Blogger swiftfoxmark2 May 12, 2018 8:48 AM  

Remember, this is only part one. Thanos was going to win this round. That was the plan all along.

Blogger OGRE May 12, 2018 8:49 AM  

A bit OT but has anyone watched Cobra Kai? Its decidedly not full of SJW related bullshit, and Johnny Lawrence is a rather anti-PC protagonist.

"There are no girls in Cobra Kai."
"Why not?"
"Same reason there aren't women in the army...it doesn't make sense."

"Don't give me that sexist bullshit, I'm just saying women aren't meant to fight. They have tiny, hollow bones."

Blogger Chris Mallory May 12, 2018 8:50 AM  

Trid wrote:Please forgive my ignorance, but what is "Magic Bubbles"?

When one character attempts to use his weapon at a key point, Thanos makes it shoot bubbles like a kids toy.

Avengers 3 and 4 were supposed to be one movie. But they decided to split it up in order to get more characters in.
The movie brings in a whole lot of the 1991 comic series.
The directors have a fairly solid history with MCU movies, doing both Winter Solider and Civil War.

Blogger Cataline Sergius May 12, 2018 8:52 AM  

Doctor Strange: 675 million dollars

Black Panther: 1.3 billion dollars

Guardians of the Galaxy: 1.6 billion dollars (combined)

If you think these characters are staying dead, you are nuts.

Blogger Chris Mallory May 12, 2018 8:53 AM  

OGRE wrote:A bit OT but has anyone watched Cobra Kai? Its decidedly not full of SJW related bullshit, and Johnny Lawrence is a rather anti-PC protagonist.



Yeah, but they ruin it by the last episode.

Blogger bob kek mando - ( your mom always did like me best ) May 12, 2018 8:55 AM  

Reviewer
But this movie made no sense



eh? this is based off of a comic book storyline from the 1970s. you're displaying your ignorance of comic book history.

they're not following Starlin's story line exactly, but the the broad out lines are there.


Reviewer
But this movie made no sense and there is no recovering from this unless they do a loopy this-was-just-a-dream/time-warp-fooled-you deus ex machina crap.



bro, do you even comic book?

of COURSE they're coming back to life. fer chrissakes, one of the Infinity Stones is the "Time Gem".


Reviewer
And oh guess what? The Evil was doing it for Climate Change Reasons??? Kill half the galaxy to save the galaxy because humans are a pestilence? Seriously?


a - it's "intelligent life", not just humans.

b - welcome to Thomas Malthus' world. this has been the favored story of the Left since 1800.

Blogger Durandel May 12, 2018 8:55 AM  

I’m all for half the population dying for the sake of the planet, so long as they are all progressive, multiculturalist, anti-Christ libtards.
I’m still waiting for them to lead the way into the void by offing themselves.

Blogger OGRE May 12, 2018 9:00 AM  

@16 Chris Mallory

How do you figure? One of the highlights of the last episode was Johnny telling Miguel to "kick that pansy bitch in the face." And they sure made that virtue signaling pansy bitch look like a big joke to everybody.

Now theres a distinct possibility that the show could move in that direction in subsequent seasons, but I can't think of many shows outside of South Park that make the whole PC/SJW bullshit look more silly and un-badass than this one.

Blogger Howard Stone May 12, 2018 9:03 AM  

Yes, only part one, and in part two Captain Marvel will save the day.

Blogger Timmy3 May 12, 2018 9:05 AM  

Why decry a movie that has an endgame? The sequel is next year. Guardians of the Galaxy and Spiderman sequels will be filming any minute. They are not dead literally or otherwise. Plus, this is based on the comic books where the SNAP did happen and it was reversed by Thanos’ other daughter.

Marvel is actually better at Disney than how they messed up Star Wars. The box offices receipts proves this with 2 back to back records broken.

Blogger Amy May 12, 2018 9:12 AM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger select star May 12, 2018 9:14 AM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger S1AL May 12, 2018 9:31 AM  

The reviewer's complaint is that the movie follows the plot of the comics.

Blogger select star May 12, 2018 9:36 AM  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG8rkXo9zy4

Blogger Nathan May 12, 2018 9:37 AM  

I understand not wanting to give money to Disney, but this was not an instance of hollywood/Disney shitting on the audience. As other people have mentioned, this happened in the comics, it's obviously a set up for the sequel, and in my opinion the movie made some improvements on the Infinity Giantlet comic run. In the comic, for instance, Thanos' motivations make less sense. Why does he love Death? Not Death in the abstract, but a female embodiment of death that treats him like an all-powerful beta-orbiter. People have criticized the malthusian angle to Thanos in the movie, but he is supposed to be a villain and you are not supposed to agree with him. The comic also had pacing issues and no real character development, and suffered from the fact that it was a repeat of the only Thanos story there is: Thanos gets cosmic cube/soul gems/infinity stones, becomes all-powerful, but drops the ball anyway. They even comment about it in the story.

Overall, it was much better than what has been done to Star Wars, Star Trek, and every other sci-fi/fantasy series still kicking around the mainstream culture.

Blogger Troushers May 12, 2018 9:37 AM  

Thanos gains power over matter, turns bullets etc into bubbles.

Blogger Troushers May 12, 2018 9:38 AM  

hashtag #randomlyblack

Blogger Nathan May 12, 2018 9:41 AM  

But more importantly, when will Disney be declared an IP monopoly and broken up?

Blogger Matt May 12, 2018 9:50 AM  

Is this guy for real? If he loced fhe characters and comics, hed know they come back to life at the end, and theyll most likely all be coming back by the end of the next movie.

The Hulk situation was AWFUL.
And related: Thanos strength level is inconsistent if he can knock out the Hulk.
And if he can knock out the Hulk, the Hulk should have gone flying with each hit, as Thor has hit Hulk so hard that hes done just that. Withour knocking him out ..
Im comcinced they wanted tonsave some budget money on making Thanos look incredible, and needed to cut the Hulk out. It workedz because Thanos looks IMPECCABLE. His minions, less so. Supporting my theory.

Tyrion was badass.

Blogger MickDundee May 12, 2018 10:01 AM  

Just imagine what (((Netflix))) will do to Middle Earth... 😂

Blogger SemiSpook37 May 12, 2018 10:04 AM  

@26

And I think that’s why Marvel has been so successful. If you can put aside the motives of the various people involved, the stories, for the most part, have been rather engaging and interesting, especially with the license they’ve taken with the source material.

Was not expecting that ending. Did not feel patronized or put upon when that screen went black. That was an extremely calculated risk, and with the way the Russos, Markus, McFeely, and Feige put that together, that took a pair. You have to give them props for that. I’ve found that all of their entries into the MCU have been the better films, in that regard. And strangely enough, not as heavy on the SJW material as folks allege. Then again, that’s just me.

Blogger Matt May 12, 2018 10:10 AM  

Theyre going to do time travel. There are already set photos of Iron Man back in the battle from the first movie, with Ant-Man in tow.

Blogger Sean May 12, 2018 10:12 AM  

Sometimes I think people just want to find reasons to be mad. This review is very uninformed. Half the characters they killed off have movies coming out so of course it will have to be reversed. That's ok because it was so well done. The stakes have been raised and Evil looks like it is going to win setting up the inevitable victory by the good guys. Pretty much how every part 1 of something is always done. You have to give people a reason to come see the second part.

And it's a stretch to say that Thanos's reason is climate change, but even if you do want to view it through that lens, HE IS THE BAD GUY that everyone in the movie readily admits is mad. So the good guys are literally fighting against climate change if that is your take.

This was a very well made movie that was exciting, fun, and emotional at times that did justice to all these characters that I have made a significant amount of time investing in.

Sometimes there just isn't an SJW boogeyman hiding underneath every bed no matter how hard we squint.

Blogger NO GOOGLES May 12, 2018 10:14 AM  

Sorry but have you no familiarity with comics AT ALL? The whole "terrible thing happens but then is magically reversed" is literally one of the most common tropes. It's exactly what happened in the comic version of Infinity War.

I can understand hating a comic movie for being bad. I can understand hating it because it betrays the source material, or subverts the characters or the plot of the original. I don't understand hating it because IT FOLLOWS THE SOURCE MATERIAL. Then you're in some weird world where you're paying to watch a movie of a story you hated the first time, and then WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

Blogger Amy May 12, 2018 10:16 AM  

And the mid credits scene has Fury sending up a beacon before his disintegration. Summoning Captain Marvel. The savioress of the whole shebang?

Blogger VD May 12, 2018 10:25 AM  

I don't understand hating it because IT FOLLOWS THE SOURCE MATERIAL.

It's not that difficult. 99 percent of the movie audience knows nothing about the source material. So, that's irrelevant.

Blogger FreedAtlas May 12, 2018 10:28 AM  

Nobody stays dead in the comic universe.

The Time stone can reverse the whole mess.

Blogger FUBARwest May 12, 2018 10:33 AM  

Who ever wrote this review clearly doesnt read comic books, or pay attention to the actual movie since Dr. Strange all but says to Tony(the audience) "Don't worry bro, Everything will be fixed in the next movie".

I admit having Starlord go full retard was bad but he did it for "love". No point in seeing hulk again since he got his ass kicked in the first 5 minutes of the film.

This whole film is a set up to the next one. This is The Darkest Hour Before The Dawn. Complain all you want when GRRl Power Captain Marvel saves the day in the next film but as was said earlier this is Marvel's best film. That's not saying too much but it is.

Blogger Avalanche May 12, 2018 10:35 AM  

@10 "Nobody died. This is the plot for the original story. Thanos erases half the universe, but then it's reversed when he's defeated."

Bobby comes out of the shower and it was all a dream.

COME ON! Really?

Blogger Mr. B.A.D. May 12, 2018 10:39 AM  

This is why we can't have nice things. Anyone who isn't a sperging retard would see that it is a 2 part movie. Even if you were born yesterday, had no access to the internet, and never saw a previous Marvel movie, you should know that the heroes come back in the second movie and win. And that there is a magic fucking rock that reverses time IN THE MOVIE.

Blogger lowercaseb May 12, 2018 10:40 AM  

Just slightly off-topic, but in the movie it is shown that Wakanda not only has a wall, but also a roof.

Black Panther...why does the media allow this alt-right extremist to corrupt our children.

Blogger Man of The West May 12, 2018 10:43 AM  

Relax. They all died in the infinity war comic, and those same heroes die all the time, and are resurrected, in the comics. It’s a Marvel trope. This movie is a part one of two. If anyone thinks that they are going to permanently kill off some of their highest grossing properties for the story, they need to remember this is Disney, and then meditate a bit on how these things work. Spider-Man is the highest grossing hero of all comics, and they just cast him in his third reboot. He’s not dead. The Guardians of the Galaxy franchise is a cash cow, they aren’t killing them off. Notice the only characters to die before Thanos is at full power are Loki and Heimdall? Both those actors have expressed multiple times their desire to stop being in these marvel movies, and their individual careers since being cast in Thor (2011) have skyrocketed, so they command much heftier paychecks. They are permanently dead. The heroes they just cast and have slated for multiple future installations (just look at marvels future line up of movies), are not dead until Disney is done with them. It’s comics. Everyone has died before, and with powers as undefined and vast as the infinity stones, they will all inevitably be resurrected in the sequel.

Blogger S'mon May 12, 2018 10:45 AM  

>>unless they do a loopy this-was-just-a-dream/time-warp-fooled-you deus ex machina crap.<<

I think this is the only person on Earth to have watched the movie and not realised that the "50% Kill" will be reversed by the end of the next movie, bringing back Spider Man et al. Albeit likely at the cost of most all the original Avengers, the guys who survived Infinity War - Iron Man, Thor, Hulk & Captain America, whose contracts are up and in some cases (Robert Downey Jnr) are getting very old.

OpenID qualitycontrol1 May 12, 2018 10:47 AM  

@31. MickDundee
They will turn it into a gay romance road trip with Frodo, Sam, Legolas and Gimli as it's main characters.

Blogger Man of The West May 12, 2018 10:51 AM  

Also, through the movie I viewed Thanos as Disney. Collecting all the top intellectual properties so that it can use that infinite power to intentionally destroy half of them to keep the over populated from destroying the resources. Disney has bought up Marvel, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Fox, etc. They don’t want to have to compete for audience money on a level playing field with these properties, so they buy them and destroy them. They can keep audiences from cinema fatigue, which threatens to kill their entire industry, by clearing the field and inserting movies as they see fit instead of fighting others for ticket sales.

Blogger Killua May 12, 2018 10:51 AM  

They are coming back. There is simply no way Marvel is going to kill off spiderman, Guardians of the Galaxy, and black panther permanently. They are probably in the parallel dimension within the soul stone or something.

Which makes death kind of meaningless. At this point you know that the heros are never in any real danger, since you know that they will be revived if they die (how many times has Loki died?)

Thanos was an interesting villain, but way too OP with the stones. Whenever something he doesn't like is about to happen, he can use magic bubbles to alter reality and prevent it from happening. And in case something bad DOES happen, no problem, he can reverse time to the point before it happened. Like WTF. He is nearly omnipotent in this movie.

Blogger WillBest May 12, 2018 10:51 AM  

I get not being familiar with the source material, although presumably if you fire off a rant you might glance at a wiki first. But how about some reasoning on this one.

1) They left the universe F'd up, but not out. And people should have been at least dimly aware that this was part 1 of 2 anyway. So leaving the villain in control at half time isn't exactly beyond the pale.

2) His complaint about Iron Man/Strange seem silly when you consider that they just met and while Strange knows about the Avengers, they don't know who he is.

3) Just thinking about this in the meta, GotG, Spider-man, Black Panther have movies slated to come out in the next few years. In fact, the people that DID survive are all at the end of their contracts. So its really looking like part 2 is set up as the last hurrah of the old guard.

4) The post credit teaser beats you over the head with there being more.


I came out of this movie thinking that the Russo brothers aren't raging liberal loons. The bad guy in this movie is pure distilled progressivism somehow contained in a lawful evil body.

Blogger Man of The West May 12, 2018 10:52 AM  

100% agreed

Blogger S'mon May 12, 2018 10:55 AM  

@26 "Overall, it was much better than what has been done to Star Wars, Star Trek, and every other sci-fi/fantasy series still kicking around the mainstream culture."

That was certainly my view. Criticising Marvel Studios in these absolutist terms seems silly when they are far less Converged than Disney's Lucasfilm subsidiary, and these are far less SJW-oriented films than Abrams-Trek or new Star Wars. I have certainly seen stupid stuff in MCU, my pet peeve is Captain America losing all the patriotism that defined his character, but it's nothing like the SJW-Marvel of the recent comics. Kevin Feige is clearly a genuine comics fan, who does not hold the characters in contempt - the opposite of Marvel Comics today.

Blogger Orthodox May 12, 2018 10:56 AM  

Dr. Strange said there's only 1 way to win out of 14 million+ scenarios. As he dies he says (IIRC), "It had to be this way." Obviously, the winning scenario unfolded.

I'm surprised they didn't make Thanos more evil by having him kill off the most "useless" half or the most intelligent half (Banner dies but not Hulk). The worst thing about the story was the pointlessness of it. It's all so tiresome.

Blogger WillBest May 12, 2018 10:59 AM  

"Marvel is actually better at Disney than how they messed up Star Wars."

Kevin Feige is both an excellent president and a fan. He is also not an SJW and I don't even think he is particularly sympathetic. People harassed him from about Thor 1 to do diversity because 3 white men, and his response was something like I have a story I am trying to tell, and if it fit the story I would, but I won't simply jam something in. And it wasn't until he completed those stories that he came in and added diversity, probably on Iger's order.

Blogger FUBARwest May 12, 2018 11:02 AM  

"The bad guy in this movie is pure distilled progressivism somehow contained in a lawful evil body"

The fact that some retards this he is a hero only shows that they are retards. I'm not sure about the Russo brothers not being "liberal loons" some of their interviews make me suspicious but whether they knew it or not the exposed the idiocy of population controlling ideas like the one Thanos had.

"I have a gauntlet that can do whatever I want it to. I think that there is suffering in the universe because of a lack of resources. Do I:

a) use the gauntlet to create infinite resources

Or

B) kill off half the universes population thereby insuring I'm going to have to do this again in thirty years when the universes population doubles"

From his choice it's clear what his actual goal is and from whom that line of thought comes from.

At least in the comics he was doing it to bone the goddess Death. That made more sense than the movie.

Blogger Sam Spade May 12, 2018 11:02 AM  

Destroyed. Like Star Wars.

This is Evil unable to create anything so it mocks, deconstructs and ruins everything good.

Blogger S'mon May 12, 2018 11:07 AM  

@42 "Black Panther...why does the media allow this alt-right extremist to corrupt our children."

Yeah, I love Wakanda's radical traditionalism (Sargon of Akkad noticed and was seriously pissed off, being a lot smarter than the SJWs who fawned over BP).

Make your heroes black and they can do anything. Even better than Israelis.

Blogger Ingot9455 May 12, 2018 11:08 AM  

And for all the complaints about the Hulk, one of the classic ways to beat the Hulk is to overwhelm him before he has a chance to get mad. And that's exactly what happened.

Blogger Peaceful Poster May 12, 2018 11:13 AM  

@6 Jaimie - Thanks for the clip of Trump's books. The interview with Meredith Viara from the Today show was hilarious!

Meridith - Donald, why did you attack Rosie O'donnel?

GE - It was Rosie who attacked me. I was just fighting back.

Meredith - Is it true you said she was crude?

GE - No, I never said that. I said she was a total degenerate

Meredith - Is it true that you called her a fat pig?

GE - No, I called her a pig. I didn't say she was fat because that would be politically incorrect. But come to think of it, Meredith, is she fat?

Meredith - Well, I'd rather not answer that.

GE - If I DID call her fat, which I didn't but if I did, do you think I'd be wrong?

Meredith - Let's get off the subject.




Blogger Man of The West May 12, 2018 11:13 AM  

It’s not just the source material. It’s basic reasoning based on multiple observations available to anyone with eyes. Marvel has many more movies listed for the future, with titles like Spider-Man: Homecoming 2, Black Panther 2, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.3, Avengers 4. Unless anyone thinks they plan on recasting all the actors they just signed, or ignoring the stories the spent millions making, just to restart them a year or two later (which would be a massive, and unnecessary risk financially), no one but children think they are permanently dead. Which would actually make the viewing experience better for the children who would see the character death as impactful because they don’t know they will be quickly resurrected in the next installment to keep letting Disney milk their cash cow.

Blogger VD May 12, 2018 11:14 AM  

"Black Panther...why does the media allow this alt-right extremist to corrupt our children."

Give it up. That rhetorical ploy was always stupid and it failed so hard that it practically took shape as a diamond.

Blogger Resident Moron™ May 12, 2018 11:16 AM  

They will turn it into a gay romance road trip with Frodo, Sam, Legolas and Gimli as it's main characters.

I think I’ve seen that film.

Blogger Man of The West May 12, 2018 11:18 AM  

This is nothing like what Disney did with Star Wars: Last Jedi. That was a story crafted to kill characters. This is characters killed to craft a story. This doesn’t destroy the MCU by any stretch of the imagination. I would agree about the post modernist deconstruction in Star Wars case, but infinity war is actually nothing like that.

Blogger WillBest May 12, 2018 11:18 AM  

"It was a film where audience expectations were completely subverted and I am not referring to Captain America's dumb ass beard and long hair (holy crap, he's going to wearing a man-bun next)."

So there is an in movie reason for this (he was fugitive from the law and in disguise) and a meta reason for this (they didn't want you to see how fat he was). I don't even think Thor was required to hit the hgh and roids for this film, although he wasn't allowed to be a fat ass like Starlord, who they actually made fun of.

Blogger Michael Maier May 12, 2018 11:21 AM  

Orthodox wrote:Dr. Strange said there's only 1 way to win out of 14 million+ scenarios. As he dies he says (IIRC), "It had to be this way." Obviously, the winning scenario unfolded.

I'm surprised they didn't make Thanos more evil by having him kill off the most "useless" half or the most intelligent half (Banner dies but not Hulk). The worst thing about the story was the pointlessness of it. It's all so tiresome.


Exactly. The best thing about DR STRANGE (the film) was how much I hated his character at the start and loved him by the end.

Him dying was the only way he could have a chance to live. I love that whole thing.

Thanos' motivation is idiotic in the film. I never much liked his "I love Death" thing in the comics but it's far superior to "save the whales"... which you'll have to do again soon anyway (look at Africa).

Blogger Michael Maier May 12, 2018 11:24 AM  

And MARVEL is by no means destroyed. After GOG2, BP, and especially THOR 3, I fully expected to hate it.

AIW was a really good and fun film, for all its MANY flaws.

Blogger Man of The West May 12, 2018 11:26 AM  

The biggest problem with Black Panther is that it was a bad movie. They wasted their “finally a black director for a black movie” ammunition on that boring movie that was neither controversial nor entertaining. It failed in both aspects, and all the AstroTurf race hype to get butts in seats turned against them when people saw how bland the movie was. The black radicals didn’t get their anti-white movie, because the villain was a black radical. And the politics blind comic movie fans didn’t get their “it’s a good movie, and it was directed by a black!” because the movie was an ugly chore to sit through. Black panther was a failure of the left because they couldn’t deliver where it counted, and they couldn’t destroy/deconstruct anything important.

Blogger Garuna May 12, 2018 11:30 AM  

Haven't seen the film yet. But when I heard the spoilers, I just assumed that they would undo many of the deaths using the time-traveling infinity stone.

They just had a big SJW hit with Black Panther a couple or so months ago. Do you actually think he's permanently dead already? I don't think so.

It's ridiculous that the writers are running around saying all the deaths are permanent when they obviously aren't.

Blogger FUBARwest May 12, 2018 11:32 AM  

A failure that made over 1.2 billion world wide in 4 months? That costs less than 500mil AFTER you include promotion and advertising?

I get not liking the movie or the politics involved but give the devil his due. Disney clearly did something right with the movie. Learn from it. Use it. Make something building Western Civilization instead of tearing it down. But don't dismiss it as a failure when it has clearly been a success for the parties involved with it.

Blogger Matt May 12, 2018 11:33 AM  

The Wakanda defense was stupid. They still use spears? They have a forcefield but still rely on stupid spearchucking infantry? Where is the advanced weaponry?

And they get alerts when anything enters the Earths atmosphere, but didnt so jack to help right the aliens when they invaded twice. In the reality of the story, Wakanans are evil sociopaths. Ironically, most black people Ive known are like that. They dont care about whats happening as long as it doesnt affect them. Cant see the forest for the trees. Dey aint no snitch niggaz

Blogger Matt May 12, 2018 11:35 AM  

Not looking forward to Dykey Cpt Marvel. Would have been better if they used Nova, newly enraged by the destruction of Xandar and the Nova Corp. Instead we have ugly Captain Marvel, munching on spacebox.

Blogger Ingot9455 May 12, 2018 11:35 AM  

And for the people complaining about the Reality Stone changing guns into bubble guns and so on, it's totally clear that the Reality Stone only makes temporary changes that only work close to Thanos, only while he's concentrating on them, and only as fast as he can think of them.

So if he has time to think, he can turn you into a dodecahedron like in Star Trek, but while he's thinking of that other people can attack him. He might lose that change when he thinks about something else; or it fades when the departs. It's very consistent and very true to the comics. He can make a big change when no one is attacking him and he can concentrate fully, but only fast changes in a fight.

OpenID bgkoranburner May 12, 2018 11:42 AM  

I saw it and regretted it. Whatever you do don't wait for the clip after the credits it's just black Nick Fury pushing a button while he dies.

OT: HOLY EMILIA EIRHART Batman

Talk about low expectations: Celebrating women walking+talking

Join women licensed battlefield guides in commemorating 50 years of guiding at Gettysburg through this special series of battle walks & talks


http://www.destinationgettysburg.com/event/details/12326?DomainID=3

Blogger Matt May 12, 2018 11:58 AM  

Nick Fury? I just see him as Jules.

Blogger Matt May 12, 2018 11:59 AM  

@FUBARWEST

Disney didn't do anything. Marvel knows how to handle their properties, despite the SJW missteps.

Blogger LP999-16 May 12, 2018 12:00 PM  

OT: New Baby Metal; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ce456Nnkt8

US and World tour!

Blogger Bogey May 12, 2018 12:05 PM  

Anyone else notice that the reality stone is red?

To the people who never read comics, none of those characters are going to stay dead. Black Panther (i.e. cash cow) are you serious? Looks like the core Avengers + Rocket will have to save the day next film. I actually look forward to the upcoming banter between Rocket and the rest of the crew. Not to mention the continued performance of Josh Brolin as Thanos, dude has been amazing.

Blogger Uncle John's Band May 12, 2018 12:05 PM  

@ 20. Howard Stone

"Yes, only part one, and in part two Captain Marvel will save the day."

That's the endgame. Marvel's been pushing her forever as their SJW flagship Superman, but her title keeps tanking. Notice that the characters with movies lined up "died' while the Phase 1 tentpoles (Cap, Thor, Iron Man) survive for the swan song. Captain Marval saving the day will be the girl power torch passing.

The tell (besides SJW predictability) is the shout out to Jim Starlin in the credits. He also wrote the definitive pre-Infinity War Thanos arcs: the Warlock one everyone remembers (which winds up with Warlock, Gamora and others living in paradise inside the soul gem), and the Captain Marvel one everyone forgets. The latter played out in his comic as well as the Avengers and Marvel Two-in-One with the Thing and Spider-Man. This will probably be the loose template for the gender-swapped savior in the second movie.

As for the movie, it was like the comic mini-series; a bunch of cool set pieces in a sloppy, internally inconsistent sequence. The only appeal is if you enjoy a couple of hours of Thanos crushing heroes and killing things. At least in the comic, he was presented as a purely evil death worshiper. The way the movie attempted a shade of moral equivocation was annoying.

Blogger Timmy3 May 12, 2018 12:09 PM  

Just like The Ring in The Fellowship of the Rings, great power can be defeated. There’s always an out. In Infinity Wars, anyone that possesses the glove with the Stones will defeat Thanos. It’s that easy. It’s so odd that Star Lord was so dumb that he came up with the plan, yet got caught with the emotions and didn’t see his own plan through.

Blogger S1AL May 12, 2018 12:12 PM  

"As for the movie, it was like the comic mini-series; a bunch of cool set pieces in a sloppy, internally inconsistent sequence."

"At least in the comic, he was presented as a purely evil death worshiper. The way the movie attempted a shade of moral equivocation was annoying."

I just want to point out that this is the fastest one ever seen someone go from

'Comics are too unrealistic.'

to

'This comic is too realistic.'

Blogger Bogey May 12, 2018 12:14 PM  

"Don't give me that sexist bullshit, I'm just saying women aren't meant to fight. They have tiny, hollow bones."

Lol, like birds or Longhsot. In the realm of Superheroes I always give women and men for that matter the miracle exception.

The latest Lara Craft movie didn't take the kickass woman to the extreme as expected, she actually had to be resourceful to win fights, unlike Black Widow (miracle exception).

Blogger rememberthe5th May 12, 2018 12:14 PM  

This was originally a two-part movie but got that idea got nixed because it would remove the gut punch of the finish. This is pretty accurate for a Thanos story line. He becomes overpowered, kills off some of the strongest heroes and is then defeated because of his subconscious desire to NOT wield power. The next Avengers movie will have time travel shenanigans and heroes sacrificing themselves to save the new Avengers. I'm not a Disney fanboy, they are SJW's to be sure but I enjoyed the shit out of Infinity War as a fan of Thanos and the Infinity War/Guantlet comics.

Blogger Bogey May 12, 2018 12:18 PM  

That's the endgame. Marvel's been pushing her forever as their SJW flagship Superman, but her title keeps tanking. Notice that the characters with movies lined up "died' while the Phase 1 tentpoles (Cap, Thor, Iron Man) survive for the swan song. Captain Marval saving the day will be the girl power torch passing.


There is only one Captain Marvel and it's a boy who has to say SHAZAM! to become Captain Marvel. Marvel Comics were shameful dicks when they tried to cop the legend as their own. Man or woman I have nothing but contempt for Marvel's Captain Marvel.

Blogger bob kek mando - ( your mom always did like me best ) May 12, 2018 12:27 PM  

53. FUBARwest May 12, 2018 11:02 AM
The fact that some retards this he is a hero only shows that they are retards.


it shows that they can't differentiate between "protagonist" of a storyline and a character which is actually heroic, yes.

MPAI.

this would be like if we made a movie called "The Desert Fox", and the majority of it took place from Rommel's POV. Rommel would be the Protagonist
...
but not a "Hero".

37. VD May 12, 2018 10:25 AM
It's not that difficult. 99 percent of the movie audience knows nothing about the source material. So, that's irrelevant.



it's not irrelevant or there'd be no point in using characters named Iron Man, Captain America, Spiderman, Thor or the Hulk. you could name them any old thing, but they're not.

this is somewhat akin to the way you're going off on Peterson.

it's not that your points are wrong or mistaken, precisely.

it's that they're endemic to the culture, not localized within the particular person you're criticizing.

you're about the same age i am. so you saw many of the same enviro lunatic marxist movies that i did back in the 70s and 80s.

you saw Logan's Run and Silent Running and Planet of the Apes and Death Race 2000, etc.

there isn't anything particularly special about the view points or motivations being expressed. hell, the Georgia Guidestones were emplaced in 1980 ... and they demand reducing the human population of the Earth to 500 million OR LESS.

that's calling for a Genocide of some 7 billion people or so. far, FAR more than Thanos' 50% finger snap, so far as Earth is concerned.

perhaps people are forgetting what environmental lunatic marxists are really all about? i dunno.

i'm so used to seeing these kinds of messages that i almost don't even pay attention to them anymore.

you can criticize me for not getting upset. but what am i supposed to do? take these people seriously? if i took these people at their word, as if they truly meant what they were saying, what they're saying is an overt death threat to most of the people i know and to me personally.

so i should start killing people out of hand for talking like this? they are making Death Threats, after all. hell, they're making Genocide Threats.

Blogger Josh (the sexiest thing here) May 12, 2018 12:29 PM  

It’s idolatry, and the superheroes are the pantheon of false gods. The Marvel Universe is a Universe without Christ.

To quote Cap:

"There's only one God, ma'am, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that."

Blogger lowercaseb May 12, 2018 12:35 PM  

VD wrote:"Black Panther...why does the media allow this alt-right extremist to corrupt our children."

Give it up. That rhetorical ploy was always stupid and it failed so hard that it practically took shape as a diamond.


Yeah...yer right. It's low hanging fruit. I'll leave the rhetoric to those who are good at it.

Man of The West wrote:This is nothing like what Disney did with Star Wars: Last Jedi. That was a story crafted to kill characters. This is characters killed to craft a story.

Now that is well said. Marvel made a promise that there would be a payoff movie where all the heroes interact. Marvel fulfilled that promise in this movie, but the only way to do it was by making Thanos the protagonist. The "deaths" were an obvious way to get the characters down to a reasonable level so the story can focus on the heroes again.

Blogger Lurker12345 May 12, 2018 12:36 PM  

I disagree, this movie is actually good. I disliked the previous Avengers movie, hated the Thor movie, hated the newest Spider Man movie and tend to hate/dislike SJW movies in general (the new Star Wars Trilogy for example, especially the last one, which is my most hated movie of all time).

They run into balance issues in this movie as usual, but that can't be helped, any movie with regular humans and superpowered humans have that issue. (Even movies with human men and human women have that issue more often than not.)

A couple of parts of the movie could've been replaced with something else, a couple of sacrifices for comedy made the movie worse and ultimately the "shocking finale" has 0 impact on most people as Half A have their contracts running out and Half B have sequels planned.

But it wasn't a complete cringefest nor was it pure SJW propaganda, every 2 years or Marvel comes out with a good movie, this seems to be it. They were planning this for so long that it was probably SJW resistant. I doubt we'll get many more Marvel movies that don't go the Star Wars route after part 2 of this comes out.

Blogger Glaivester May 12, 2018 1:10 PM  

#39

I admit having Starlord go full retard was bad but he did it for "love". No point in seeing hulk again since he got his ass kicked in the first 5 minutes of the film.


To be fair, though, isn't being an impulsive man-child one of StarLord's personality traits? In GotG2, didn't he just go off on Ego as soon as he found out Ego had killed his mother? No plan, no "what should I do?" his first impulse was "shoot him shoot him shoot him!"

Blogger Uncle John's Band May 12, 2018 1:11 PM  

@ 78. S1AL

It's funnier because it's true.

@ 81. Bogey

"There is only one Captain Marvel"

I remember reading something about that ages ago. A lot of shady legal wrangling.

Blogger Stg58/Animal Mother May 12, 2018 1:17 PM  

And now for some good news, Trump drops bombs on mosques! Killing shit tons of rag heads and goat fuckers!!

Blogger Jack Amok May 12, 2018 1:19 PM  

There are many valid complaints to be made about the movie... Thanos' plot makes no sense... the ever-changing levels of powers...

Sounds like a super hero movie to me. If a movie has to make sense for you to enjoy it, maybe you shouldn't be watching one about a guy who transforms into an invincible green giant when he gets mad. It's like complaining that Saving Private Ryan had guns in it.

Blogger Chris Mallory May 12, 2018 1:45 PM  

OGRE wrote:How do you figure?

Cobra Kai spoilers:


They spent the majority of the series turning LaRusso into a Heel while Lawrence was the underdog, anti-hero Face.

Then in the last couple episodes they turn Lawrence's scrappy misfits into badass Heels who switch places turning LaRusso into the Face along with Lawrence's genetically superior but mentally weak son.

At the end they leave Lawrence in limbo. His students slipping from his leash and his son walking away with his greatest enemy.

I did enjoy Asner's portrayal as a heartless, money grubbing Jew.

Blogger Sun Downer May 12, 2018 1:53 PM  

I think it's more simple. This movie is not authentic. There wasn't true and genuine inspiration and love behind it, that's why the emotional moments don't hit, that's why you know the characters that died will come back, that's why you know Doctor Strange saw the future and knows Captain Marvel is coming to the rescue because gurl powah.

This is a bad remix of good ideas, characters and concepts. It was shitty beause the left can't create.

Blogger Chris Mallory May 12, 2018 1:57 PM  

S'mon wrote:my pet peeve is Captain America losing all the patriotism that defined his character,

Instead of killing Cap like they did at the end of the comic Civil War, they shifted him into his old "Nomad, Man without a country" character from the early 70's.

Blogger OGRE May 12, 2018 2:20 PM  

@90 Chris Mallory

I don't think it was intended to be as binary as that. None of the characters were real heroes and none were real villains; its really dependent on whose eyes your viewing it through. The viewer can relate to pretty much every character in some way. And everybody won in one way but lost in another.

And to the main point here, nothing negates the anti-PC'ness of Johnny's character or the series as a whole. That was the primary source of humor throughout.

Blogger Skylark Thibedeau May 12, 2018 2:23 PM  

They should have had Thanos resurrecting Freya as Death. It would have helped link the movie to the Comics

Blogger Jonathon Davies May 12, 2018 2:39 PM  

I haven't watched the last four Marvel movies. Judging by reviews I've missed nothing.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan May 12, 2018 2:40 PM  

I'm missing Rebel Dead Revenge issue 3 anyone seen it?

Blogger Jeff Beck May 12, 2018 2:55 PM  

I would also like to see RBD #3 coming out. I remember Vox saying he would release all of the issues digitally, and later collect them in trades. Another great thing would be the physical copy of the first issue coming out on Amazon.

Blogger Matt Robison May 12, 2018 3:14 PM  

Killing half of all life was a plot device in the comic book series this movie is based one. However, the movie is structured uniquely, with Thanos ultimately taking a hero's journey, and his obstacles are the actual heroes. It surprisingly works overall as a film.

However....there is a real problem with how the movie frames things, in particular Thanos' plan. It wants us to agree with his premises while disagreeing with his tactics. It's part of of what the film does to make him sympathetic. And given some of the conversations surrounding the movie, it was a success in that regard. I wrote about it more here:

https://medium.com/@mattrobison/the-real-problem-with-thanos-plan-87e407584fba

Blogger wreckage May 12, 2018 3:21 PM  

@98 While a lot of people argue that his premise was fine, there's no evidence of that. The Marvel universe, and the MCU, are chock-full of interstellar and interplanar cultures that have not exhausted their resources. To my mind Thanos works better as a "heroic" but hideously insane monster. He's murdering half of existence, ultimately, due to his own trauma and the messiah delusion he's developed as an alternative to actually moving on from that trauma.

"The universe is finite..." well, effectively, no it's not. "Resources, finite..." again, when you've got an entire universe to harvest resources from, and due to FTL travel, virtually infinite "bandwidth" for moving those resources about...

Sadly, I think they're going to ignore the problem's with Thanos's reasoning, because to not adhere to strict universal eco-doom is a heresy so vile none would even think of voicing it, let alone actually voice it.

Blogger Mister Excitement May 12, 2018 3:32 PM  

Who wrote this movie review, a Baby Boomer? It reminds me of the dumb Boomers whining about Batman vs. Superman.

"But Batman and Superman are supposed to be friends! It doesn't make sense!"

Infinity War is based on the comic book. Anybody can do a search for Thanos, Infinity Gauntlet, Infinity Gems, or anything related and they'll know exactly what will happen and how Thanos will be defeated.

Of course the heroes are going to be resurrected in the next movie.

Blogger Mister Excitement May 12, 2018 3:36 PM  

@13

"A bit OT but has anyone watched Cobra Kai? Its decidedly not full of SJW related bullshit, and Johnny Lawrence is a rather anti-PC protagonist."


I've watched Cobra Kai several times already.

It's just wonderful.

Johnny Lawrence 2024!

Blogger Nostromo May 12, 2018 3:42 PM  

I'm waiting for Power Girl, starring Lindsey Pelas, or Jordan Carver. I'd need to get a bigger flat screen for the blue ray version though.(what can I say, I know what I like)

Blogger tublecane May 12, 2018 3:52 PM  

I stopped watching these movies a long time ago, but I did see enough of Dr. Strange to know they have the ability to travel back in time. Which means anyone who dies can be resurrected, and any damage done by the Big Bad can be reversed. Which might suck some of the drama out of it.

Blogger L' Aristokrato May 12, 2018 3:57 PM  

Jack Amok wrote:There are many valid complaints to be made about the movie... Thanos' plot makes no sense... the ever-changing levels of powers...

Sounds like a super hero movie to me. If a movie has to make sense for you to enjoy it, maybe you shouldn't be watching one about a guy who transforms into an invincible green giant when he gets mad. It's like complaining that Saving Private Ryan had guns in it.


That's some pants-on-head idiotic reasoning there.
Accepting a fantastical premise does not follow into blindly accepting a lack of verisimilitude and internal logic, nor standardless writing. You are dumb.

Blogger tublecane May 12, 2018 4:04 PM  

@42- Because black.

Similar to why Muslims get to beat on and rape women. Because brown.

Blogger tz May 12, 2018 4:11 PM  

Piers Anthony wrote both Xanth and Virtual Mode. The former is the Horatio Alger, Hayes code version. The latter is not.

Also DC was much more goody-goody, particulary with Superman (historically) than Marvel. I don't recognize the pollyanna Marvel described.

Apropos of the Hayes Code the problem is that films are far more terribly censored, black-listed, or worse today than they were in the mid 1930's. Only on different themes. Hitchcock had to append Mrs. Danvers burning to death in Rebecca, but today we have to have any racist or sexist killed or maimed (usually in the groin - it is now a common comedy plot point).

I find it positive that Infinity Wars isn't dropping F-Bombs across the landscape, they don't have sex scenes, especially gratituitous ones, or the other junk that just seems to stink up every movie. Even Bruce Banner manages to find a way to kick ass when the Hulk won't come out instead of being a whiny gamma.

There was "The Passion of the Christ". The last scene showed some light, not unlike Dr. Strange's cryptic last words. There will be the sequels to both.

Blogger OGRE May 12, 2018 4:22 PM  

@101 Mister Excitement

"All that matters is that YOU. BECOME. BADASS."

Heartiste himself could have written some of this script.

Blogger One Deplorable DT May 12, 2018 4:23 PM  

Someone doesn't realize that A) part 2 comes out in May 2019, and B) everyone killed by the snap + Gamora still exist in the soul stone. The last part is hard to miss since Thanos actually talks to Gamora in the stone's "realm."

So this critique is like complaining about the Empire Strikes Back because you don't realize there will ever be a Return of the Jedi and you think Han Solo is dead.

I hardly ever go to the movies any more. I have kept up on the MCU by watching at home. I actually went to see Infinity War, despite my disgust for Disney, and it's the most fun I've had at the movies since the Nolan Batman trilogy. Everything was on the line. The villain actually had some depth other than "hurr durr I'm evil." The heroes used to winning found themselves on the defense and fighting just to survive. All the fancy CGI battles actually meant something for once.

Thanos' motivation had nothing to do with climate change or human pestilence, words which are never heard in the movie. He believed that suffering across the universe was driven by squabbling over scarce resources. If Marvel did this to make people sympathetic to the environment then they really screwed up because the audience left hating Thanos with a passion.

Thor being beaten to a pulp? It setup one of the most enjoyable character arcs I can think of in cinema history. From the point he arrives at Nidavellir to the moment he lands in Wakanda the audience in my theater was on the edge of their seat. And when he landed in Wakanda my theater nearly gave a standing ovation. Thor became the ONLY Avenger on the offense when the entire movie everyone else in the universe was running from, hiding from, and desperately trying to survive the onslaught of Thanos. Ruin Thor because they hate us? Thor is now closer to the 'godhood' of his comic book version then he has ever been in the MCU. And unlike Mary Rey Sue, he had to earn it.

SJWs may control Star Wars, but they clearly don't control the MCU yet. A scene where a white Asgardian saves black Wakanda? Black Panther being one of the heroes to die? You think those scenes could ever happen with Kathlene Kennedy at the helm?

As for the Hulk they clearly setup Banner/Hulk transition problems in Ragnarok. Don't think they're going to leave this unresolved in part 2. My guess is a story arc along the lines of Thor's where Hulk comes back for Thanos' blood.

And Captain Marvel isn't going to save everyone alone with magical grrrrl power. The original Avengers survived along with Rocket. Some of those original actors are done with this series. So expect a desperate effort by all the remaining Avengers, and some real sacrifice, to save the lives lost.

Sorry. I may despise the SJWs at Disney. But they don't control the MCU yet. And this movie rocked.

Blogger Chris Mallory May 12, 2018 4:34 PM  

OGRE wrote:its really dependent on whose eyes your viewing it through.

I spent the first 7-8 episodes cheering for Lawrence. The last episode the only response he elicited from me was pity.

Of course I binge watched the whole thing one night hopped up on pain meds after getting a couple teeth pulled. That that might color my views.

Blogger One Deplorable DT May 12, 2018 4:37 PM  

One more note about Black Widow and feminist grrrl power: it's unfortunate that they never did a movie just for her, which would have given her character more depth and would also have explained her abilities.

But even someone who has never touched a comic book would have to be an idiot to miss that she is enhanced. I'm not bothered by women fighting in science fiction or fantasy movies, and even beating male villains, so long as there is a universe-consistent explanation for their power. Girls wanting a girl hero who can fight is fantasy the same as boys wanting to see Thor drop lightening on some bad guy. I have no problem with that.

It becomes feminist trash when a mere human female beats up men, or when a fantasy female is instantly OP like Mary Rey Sue of Soy Wars.

Black Widow is no mere ordinary human, nor is she a Mary Sue, even within the limited exploration seen on screen.

Blogger Rex Little May 12, 2018 4:39 PM  

We've recently seen a superhero (Superman) die in one movie (Batman vs. Superman) only to come back in the next one (Justice League). So it should be obvious that Marvel will do the same, even to someone like me who never saw any of the comic book source material.

Slightly off-topic question: does Marvel have any plans to tie the Fantastic Four and/or X-Men into the MCU?

Blogger Chris Mallory May 12, 2018 4:50 PM  

Rumors are that Black Widow will be getting a solo movie. Some talk of screen writers and directors being attached.

Right now, Disney does not own the movie rights to either Fantastic Four or the X-Men. Both of those properties are owned by Fox.
The X-Men contract includes the word "mutant" which is why Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver were experimented on by Hydra for the basis of their powers. Namor is also covered under the "mutant" category.

Blogger Dire Badger May 12, 2018 5:00 PM  

Nostromo wrote:I'm waiting for Power Girl, starring Lindsey Pelas, or Jordan Carver. I'd need to get a bigger flat screen for the blue ray version though.(what can I say, I know what I like)

After supergirl, you know darned good and well they would put her in a baggy turtleneck or something.

Blogger My Dead Gramps May 12, 2018 5:12 PM  

Quick, gather the dragon balls.

Blogger Were-Puppy May 12, 2018 5:14 PM  

@60 Resident Moron™
“They will turn it into a gay romance road trip with Frodo, Sam, Legolas and Gimli as it's main characters.”

I think I’ve seen that film.
---

It will be called Hunchback Mountain

Blogger bob kek mando - ( your mom always did like me best ) May 12, 2018 5:22 PM  

108. One Deplorable DT May 12, 2018 4:23 PM
My guess is a story arc along the lines of Thor's where Hulk comes back for Thanos' blood.


there are story lines where Hulk is intelligent ( purple Hulk, as one example ) and where Banner has much more control.

i would guess they're going to plagiarize one of those.

they already did a riff on World War Hulk in Ragnarok.

Blogger The CronoLink May 12, 2018 5:30 PM  

OT: Vox, this might pique your interest. Remember the Diversity & Comics guy, who's friends/acquainted with Ethan? He started his own comic project fundraiser and acquired a publisher (Antartic Press). However, Mark Waid from Marvel apparently didn't liked that so he not only bullied Antartic to drop D&C but, allegedly, threatened them with physical violence.
Some Marvel headhoncho got angry with Waid and demanded to shut down all social media for the time being, but it seems nevertheless a massive shitstorm is gathering around the Marvel and Disney due exactly to this, because it seems what is confirmed is that Waid meddled publicly (in facebook and twitter) with a legal contract.

Who brought this to my attention: https://twitter.com/WeWuzMetokur/status/995393588891668480
The legal implications: https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/8iuth2/happenings_unconfirmed_info_regarding_mark_waid/dyurqhl/

Blogger FUBARwest May 12, 2018 5:31 PM  

"Rumors are that Black Widow will be getting a solo movie. Some talk of screen writers and directors being attached."

They made a Black Widow movie already. It was called Red Sparrow starring Jennifer Lawrence. Nobody saw it. Scarlett Johansson is reportedly the second highest paid actor in the entire Marvel line up after RDJ getting 20+mil a picture.

"Right now, Disney does not own the movie rights to either Fantastic Four or the X-Men. Both of those properties are owned by Fox."

If the sale goes through, they are still negotiating and Comcast might outbid Disney, I expect to see Infinity War part 2 used to change the universe to include the X-Men AND more importantly get rid of the original Avengers. Their contracts are up and they cost too much already. RDJ is getting paid 40+mil a movie. Marvel might be rich but they're not stupid.

Blogger Were-Puppy May 12, 2018 5:34 PM  

is Nebula in this movie?

Blogger VD May 12, 2018 5:54 PM  

Thanks, I put a post up on it, Crono.

Blogger Chris Mallory May 12, 2018 6:33 PM  

@116
Supposedly Ruffalo and Feige got together after Ultron and outlined a Hulk movie. But they split it up over 3 movies to avoid another Hulk movie that bombs. So Thor 3, Avenger's 3 and 4 are supposed to include a character arc for the Hulk.

Since primary shooting on Avengers 4 ended the first of this year, they are going to have to get on the ball with the Fox buyout, if it happens.

@119 Yes, Nebula is the blue sister who is a cyborg. Thanos was torturing her by disassembling her borg parts in Av3.

Blogger Man of The West May 12, 2018 7:17 PM  

If making money was the goal, Black Panther wouldn’t be considered a failure by any stretch. But as most people here are aware, based on the OP topic, the post-modernist left that is Disney isn’t interested in making money. It is interested in destroying properties and meaning. Black Panther failed in that regard, which is always the post-modernist’s intended purpose. That the movie made money was really secondary to that intention. A black radical would not be happy with the movie, as it casts him as the villain. And a leftist would not be happy with the movie, as it is utterly unconvincing and confused in regards to its leftist message. As I mentioned previously, the movie failed the post-modernist goal of destroying the property, and accidentally made money instead of convincingly push the agenda.

Blogger Christopher B May 12, 2018 8:15 PM  

I think you are right in the end but I expect the upcoming movies to be played as prequels to A:IW. Sort of like putting Peter Paker on a field trip bus at the end of the next Spiderman movie (as an example). All the movies will end with setups for the entrance into A:IW until the next IW movie comes out.

Blogger Jack Amok May 12, 2018 8:32 PM  

Accepting a fantastical premise does not follow into blindly accepting a lack of verisimilitude and internal logic, nor standardless writing. You are dumb.

Not my problem if you're too stupid to recognize how a plot is put together, but do you need to be such an ass? Did I say superhero movies were stupid? Did I say there was something wrong with you for liking them? No, so push your nose back into joint.

Almost every superhero story out there has - needs to have - arbitrary limits on powers or there wouldn't be any story. Judeo Christ, Thor is a GOD - the God of Thunder - but some chick with a shock collar can control him? Eh, if she can't the whole middle of the Ragnarok film goes away. Either you accept that kind of stuff and roll with it, or don't bother with the genre.

You're watching a movie about literally unrealistic beings. If the writing is bad, it's not because it isn't realistic enough.



Blogger Peter Gent May 12, 2018 8:40 PM  

The thing that always irks me to no end is when the stories in a constructed universe never take their own technology/superpowers/magic seriously enough to use it the way the actual characters would have when not hobbled by brain dead writers.

For example, in Star Trek, once they created the holographic doctor they had the solution to the Borg. Defend the ships with holographic warriors who can take out the Borg and cannot be "converted" and by using portable holoemitters they can even take the Borg ships. Problem, it was too easy, but it was real based on the technology.

Dr. Strange had the solution for this movie's problem based on his stand-alone movie. His control of time allowed him to do to Thanos what Thanos did to Vision. All he had to do on the planet when they fought Thanos was turn time back on him and watch all of the Infinity stones disappear one by one and then the gauntlet also disappear. He was then ordinary and vulnerable. Too easy? It was what Dr. Strange would have done -- he had already done it at the end of his own movie when he repaired the destroyed temple -- had the writers been honest to the story and his ability.

Blogger Jack Amok May 12, 2018 9:53 PM  

Too easy? It was what Dr. Strange would have done -- he had already done it at the end of his own movie when he repaired the destroyed temple -- had the writers been honest to the story and his ability.

But that's my point Peter - the writers have to do that, or you can't have a Dr. Strange. Or you can only have him as a one-off, which isn't what Disney or Marvel wants for a franchise.

Because once you establish he can go back in time to change something, then every problem is solved and there can be no plot. Until of course the writers come up with some (arbitrary) reason he can't use his powers. And the longer a franchise goes on, and the more super-powered characters it adds, the more arbitrary power glitches and memory lapses the characters need to keep the gears of the story from completely binding up.

It's just the price that has to be paid for stories in a universe that violates the laws of physics for dramatic impact. Complaining that Dr. Strange should have been able to defeat Thanos is like watching The Man in the High Castle and complaining the Japs could never invade the West Coast. Both are perfectly correct observations, but you kinda have to accept the disconnect from reality to enjoy the story.

Blogger bob kek mando - ( your mom always did like me best ) May 12, 2018 10:03 PM  

124. Jack Amok May 12, 2018 8:32 PM
Eh, if she can't the whole middle of the Ragnarok film goes away.


the whole middle of Ragnarok NEEDED to go away. she's a Valkyrie. she's going to challenge one of the Aesir? much less crap all over Thor? getthefuckouttahere.

"Thor is the foremost of them. He is called Asa-Thor, or Oku-Thor. He is the strongest of all gods and men, and rules over the realm which is called Þrúðvangr."



125. Peter Gent May 12, 2018 8:40 PM
His control of time allowed him to do to Thanos what Thanos did to Vision.


one of the Stones in the Gauntlet is the Time Gem.

you seriously think Strange by himself is going to be more powerful than the physical manifestation of the Universal principle of Time? especially after it's been backed up by the Power and Reality Gems?

time travel ( by others ) is off the table, so long as Thanos wields the Gauntlet.

Blogger bob kek mando - ( your mom always did like me best ) May 12, 2018 10:14 PM  

the bigger problem is that Thanos didn't need to use the Soul Gem to kill anyone.

he has the Mind Gem ^ Power Gem ^ Reality Gem.

Thanos could have made half the population of the universe WANT to see the other half of the population of the universe die.

more.

he could have made half the population of the universe WANT to kill themselves.

of course, then there would be no conflict remaining to have with Thanos for the second IW movie if everyone was doing it of their own "free will".

Blogger Matt Robison May 12, 2018 11:52 PM  

Bob,

That's exactly what he was talking about. Strange used the Time stone in his own movie just like Thanos did on Vision. In fact, Strange did something even more impressive

Blogger Jack Amok May 13, 2018 1:41 AM  

the whole middle of Ragnarok NEEDED to go away. she's a Valkyrie. she's going to challenge one of the Aesir? much less crap all over Thor? getthefuckouttahere.

Dead Valkyrie too, I think. But sure, that part was dumb, but what are you going to replace it with? Who is going to be powerful enough to challenge Thor without being so powerful that Thor can't eventually defeat them? Given that Thor already has the powers of a God, what is he going to do to power-up by the end of the movie?

Truth is, nothing. So instead, he has to be somehow de-powered in the middle of the movie so he can power back up by the end.

Blogger Alexandros May 13, 2018 3:09 AM  

Others have already pointed out that the dead characters arent actually dead.

It was a "fun" movie and i hate the capeshit movies. Also, thanos did nothing wrong.

Blogger WillBest May 13, 2018 3:14 AM  

"All he had to do on the planet when they fought Thanos was turn time back on him and watch all of the Infinity stones disappear one by one and then the gauntlet also disappear."

Strange did that in a dimension/universe without time to a creature that probably didn't understand the concept either. Who knows if he could slip back to a benchmark point in time upon death in his normal universe or that Thanos would look at other means than killing him.

Blogger bob kek mando - ( your mom always did like me best ) May 13, 2018 11:28 AM  

129. Matt Robison May 12, 2018 11:52 PM
That's exactly what he was talking about. Strange used the Time stone in his own movie just like Thanos did on Vision.


i haven't seen the movie, but it sounds like you're saying that Thanos does not yet have the Time Stone in the Gauntlet.

because if Strange used the Time Stone previously *and it's no longer available to him*, you've just made my point.



130. Jack Amok May 13, 2018 1:41 AM
Who is going to be powerful enough to challenge Thor without being so powerful that Thor can't eventually defeat them?


it's not a question of whether or not the shock collar ( which is alien technology anyways ) works on Thor.

it's a question of her DEMEANOR towards him. she's certainly going to recognize him for who he is *and what his abilities are*. she KNOWS that he is a very powerful immortal and that, even if the collar works now, he's going to get out of it eventually.

at which point, she's going to ( should ) get her ass beaten for the way she abused him in that film.

Blogger Lovekraft May 13, 2018 1:38 PM  

Anyone else here get a strong desire to smack that smug Hollywood preachiness out of Mark Ruffalo that I do?

Blogger bob kek mando - ( your mom always did like me best ) May 13, 2018 4:55 PM  

i'd not suggest doing that.

being from Hollywood, he'd probably consider that foreplay.

Blogger Daniel May 13, 2018 6:56 PM  

Apparently a magic grllll will save them... (captain marvel paged by nick fury)

Blogger El Rojo May 14, 2018 2:02 PM  

VD wrote:I don't understand hating it because IT FOLLOWS THE SOURCE MATERIAL.

It's not that difficult. 99 percent of the movie audience knows nothing about the source material. So, that's irrelevant.


I'm in that 99%


While I have enjoyed some of these films the Avengers movies seem a bit silly because what they Bad guys do makes no sense to me. They are clearly written by fans for fans.

In their defense it works for them because the box office $$$ says so.

But still, if you do not follow the comics... I have had more than one WTF moment watching some of these films.

And yes lots of the comic book tropes (time travel fixes everything!) I find silly because Scifi movies and tv shows have used them all already for the past 30 years or so - and they come across as tired and lazy writing at this point.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts