ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2018 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Saturday, May 05, 2018

The costs of a Code of Conduct

It will probably not surprise anyone who has read SJWAL or SJWADD to learn that Codes of Conduct chase off the evil male programmers who built the project.
Rafael Avila de Espindola is the fifth most active contributor to LLVM with more than 4,300 commits since 2006, but now he has decided to part ways with the project. Rafael posted a rather lengthy mailing list message to fellow LLVM developers today entitled I am leaving llvm.

He says the reason for abandoning LLVM development after 12 years is due to changes in the community. In particular, the "social injustice" brought on the organization's new LLVM Code of Conduct and its decision to participate in this year's Outreachy program to encourage women and other minority groups to get involved with free software development.

The reason for me leaving are the changes in the community. The current license change discussions unfortunately bring to memory the fsf politics when I was working on gcc. That would still not be sufficient reason to leave. As with the code, llvm will still have the best license and if the only community change was the handling of the license change I would probably keep going.

The community change I cannot take is how the social injustice movement has permeated it. When I joined llvm no one asked or cared about my religion or political view. We all seemed committed to just writing a good compiler framework.

Espindola was one of the most prolific LLVM contributors.
What a lot of people still don't understand is that the Code of Conduct is working as designed when it chases off the productive members of the project.

Labels: ,

43 Comments:

Blogger ghostfromplanetspook May 05, 2018 1:07 PM  

If your chromosomes are x and y say goodbye

Blogger HalibetLector May 05, 2018 1:12 PM  

I had extensive... "words"... on reddit a few days ago when the story first broke. Most of the responses were what you'd expect from programmers. I continue to be disappointed by that group's inability to learn from the very recent past. But, there were two comments that stood out:

Techies are the biggest suckers and power bottoms on the planet. They got suckered and power bottomed and bossed over for years and years by clueless pointy haired management types and now they're getting suckered and power bottomed and bossed over by clueless pink and blue haired social studies types. It's breathtaking the ease with which this happened over the last couple of years. Absolutely derisible bunch of betas.

and

When you say "the left", you're actually talking about the curse of the left, the people who weaponise politics for power. I'm left wing and I agree with you apart from this quibble.

Both quotes are amazing, but for completely different reasons.

Blogger Ron Winkleheimer May 05, 2018 1:13 PM  

Check out the eligibility requirements for an internship with LLVM.

"Outreachy Eligibility Rules
Outreachy is open internationally to people who meet the following requirements:

You are or will be 18 years of age or older by May 14, 2018
You have not previously participated in an Outreachy, Outreach Program for Women, or Google Summer of Code internship.
You are available for a full-time, 40 hours a week internship from May 14, 2018 to Aug. 14, 2018.
You must meet one of the following criteria:
You live any where in the world and you identify as a woman (cis or trans), trans man, or genderqueer person (including genderfluid or genderfree).
You live in the United States or you are a U.S. national or permanent resident living aboard, AND you are a person of any gender who is Black/African American, Hispanic/Latin@, Native American/American Indian, Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian, or Pacific Islander
Outreachy is open to both students and people who are not students. However, applicants who are students must meet additional requirements.
Outreachy internships are full-time 40-hour a week internships. Applicants who have part-time or contracting jobs are welcome to apply, but they must meet additional requirements."

Blogger TM Lutas May 05, 2018 1:25 PM  

This is so easy to counter and yet nobody is doing the work (the curse of the right, I guess). People being driven off are ripe for recruitment to projects that won't give them this sort of BS. Somebody needs to play the role of the recruiter and openly recruit those who are going to be driven away.

Do it early when they're talking about adopting the code and make it clear that if you don't see further messages, it's because of censorship. Close up shop when the SJW code of conduct proposal is defeated or rescinded after adoption.

When it's a theoretical threat, that eventually some coders might drift away, it's easy to spin the threat. When you have an open source advocate openly recruiting and going after the core dev team, it's a lot scarier for the community.

I'd do it but I suck at recruitment which puts the project right out of my wheelhouse. It doesn't mean I'm incapable of seeing how such a project would play out.

Blogger Al K. Annossow May 05, 2018 1:30 PM  

Quality piracy. Find something of worth and appropriate it for oneself. Except for grabbing raw resources, it never happens in emerging technologies, only after something has proven its value. Protecting productive delta workers is a major responsibility for any alpha or beta acting as a manager. Deltas and omegas are often too heads down to see the trouble coming. Deltas like to work. Just pay them reasonable well and protect them from crap.

Blogger Mike Hertz May 05, 2018 1:45 PM  

So, just so i have this straight. SJW mentality has entered into another worthwhile endeavor eating away at it like some sort of acid. Correct?

Blogger Crew May 05, 2018 2:14 PM  

But, but, you don't understand. The top ten all-time contributors are male, which means that the project is very sexist and misogynistic and is totally bereft of the brilliant contributions that all the world's vaginas could make!

Blogger pyrrhus May 05, 2018 2:15 PM  

Iowahawk(David Burge) on Twitter

1. Identify a respected institution.
2. kill it.
3. gut it.
4. wear its carcass as a skin suit, while demanding respect.

Blogger Crew May 05, 2018 2:16 PM  

It's also speciist (however you spell that damn word) as well. Just imagine all the wonderful contributions that could be made by the world's chimpanzees, dogs, sloths and beetles, especially beetles!

Blogger Al K. Annossow May 05, 2018 2:22 PM  

You get extra virtue points if those chimpanzees, dogs, sloths and beetles are transgender. I'm still unclear whether they being trans species is a thing yet.

Anonymous Anonymous May 05, 2018 2:23 PM  

It is an odd coincidence that Vox posted on this subject today.

This morning, due to work related concerns, I was looking at the definitions of "social justice" and the evils that come from the very idea.

I know that the meaning of what we call "social justice" today is noting at all like the original idea of social justice conceived of by the Catholic Church in 1840. The phrase was stolen by the "progressives" and used for their evil purposes. This is just like the bastards stole the term "liberal" long ago and warped its meaning into something very different.

I was going to suggest to Vox Day that a post on the term and what it really meant would be nice. I also think a separate post on how to explain the evils of "social justice" to normal people would be damn nice.

And then this post. Wild. I hope the comments section will have people talk about the questions I posed above, and I still hope Vox will talk about explaining how "social justice" is not moral to normal people.

Blogger Matthew May 05, 2018 2:27 PM  

Mike Hertz wrote:So, just so i have this straight. SJW mentality has entered into another worthwhile endeavor eating away at it like some sort of acid. Correct?



Yes. LLVM is important.

Blogger Dave May 05, 2018 2:40 PM  

Crew wrote:It's also speciist (however you spell that damn word) as well. Just imagine all the wonderful contributions that could be made by the world's chimpanzees, dogs, sloths and beetles, especially beetles!

Dung beetles would be appropriate.

Blogger Iskander Magnus May 05, 2018 3:18 PM  

Dung beetles do an uncelebrated yet useful job. Unlike SJWs.

Blogger Crew May 05, 2018 3:28 PM  

I am also disappointed that no one has highlighted the dearth of contributions from Knights who say Ni!

https://infogalactic.com/info/Knights_who_say_Ni

Blogger Cecil Henry May 05, 2018 4:08 PM  

@8: Or this


The Political Correctness Game (SJW Game)

http://i.imgur.com/RraXG7L.png
Pass it on.


There are few things more reliably predictive of things about to head south than a commitment to diversity.

I have to agree: the negative and destructive outcomes of the SJW agenda are not glitches, they're part of the design.

Blogger Crew May 05, 2018 4:16 PM  

Perhaps Finland has a Code of Conduct for 10-year-old girls that calls for them to welcome sexual advances from 23-year-old immigrant rapists.

https://voiceofeurope.com/2018/05/sex-between-a-23-year-old-migrant-and-a-10-year-old-girl-is-not-rape-says-court-in-finland/#.Wu3DgvEPgpk.twitter

Blogger Nate73 May 05, 2018 4:18 PM  

We need an alternative to Github at this point I think. But how do you ensure your project isn't just taken over by socjus after 12 years?

Blogger Peter Gent May 05, 2018 4:25 PM  

When you get rid of all the people who build the stuff you depend on, don't be surprised when the planes crash, the programs no longer work, and your one operating society grinds to a halt, but hey, you made everything ideologically pure from your warped perspective. We can make the whole world Venezuela.

Blogger Crew May 05, 2018 4:27 PM  

@19: We can always go back to earlier versions of LLVM and GCC ...

Blogger HalibetLector May 05, 2018 4:31 PM  

Nate73 wrote:We need an alternative to Github at this point I think. But how do you ensure your project isn't just taken over by socjus after 12 years?

Strong leadership. Linux has been open source for 26 years and counting. Linus doesn't believe in political correctness, thank god.

Blogger Ataraxia May 05, 2018 4:32 PM  

You live any where in the world and you identify as a woman (cis or trans), trans man, or genderqueer person (including genderfluid or genderfree).

What would stop a straight man from "identifying" as one of the eligible groups? Is there a purity test? If I worked for one of these ridiculous companies I'd make sure HR knew I identified as gender-fluid and would threaten litigation if anyone doubted me.

Blogger Robert What? May 05, 2018 5:19 PM  

As an aside, can someone explain how you support yourself and make a living spending all your time doing free programming? What am I missing?

Blogger S1AL May 05, 2018 5:25 PM  

Most of the contributors do this on the side.

Blogger Pseudotsuga May 05, 2018 5:27 PM  

Robert What? wrote:As an aside, can someone explain how you support yourself and make a living spending all your time doing free programming? What am I missing?
You can't. It's an opportunity for the wealthy or connected. Poor working schlubs...well, sux to be them, since we *know* they can't program and they're all mouth-breathing gun-loving heterosexists.

Blogger Snidely Whiplash May 05, 2018 5:32 PM  

Robert What? wrote:As an aside, can someone explain how you support yourself and make a living spending all your time doing free programming? What am I missing?
If it's a useful product, there will be money. Grants, donations, customization, fellowships, support, there's plenty of meny floating around the Open Source world. No enough money to support corporate programming shops sufficient to write and to support the code, but then, most people in a corporate shop are either wasting their time because of stupid mandates from management, or completely useless.
And most of the top people have employers that are willing to pay the salary because the product is that important to them.
Still others, and Avila probably falls into this category, see it as a marketing effort for their consulting work.

Blogger jb May 05, 2018 5:54 PM  

VD -

Your take on this?

http://thezman.com/wordpress/?p=13755

Blogger Stg58/Animal Mother May 05, 2018 6:03 PM  

Techies are probably easy to sucker with CoC talk because they are also generally low social rank, take women at face value, buy into white knighting and blue pill stuff.

Blogger Ceerilan May 05, 2018 6:10 PM  

There isn't a difference between the curse of the left and the left in general. The reason we can tell is the constant misuse of mistake correction. You can always predict the next form of liberalism because it takes ideas that would correct abuses of the current form and makes them first principles of their next system.

Anonymous Anonymous May 05, 2018 6:12 PM  

The same is happening to many open source projects considered vital to the internet. Sad news.

Open source projects can be forked though. All it takes is a strong leader. But who will step up?

After SJWs annihilate open source, I wouldn't be too surprised to find out that in ten years, most projects find themselves with a Russians or Chinese leader.

Blogger dienw May 05, 2018 6:29 PM  

jb wrote:VD -

Your take on this?

http://thezman.com/wordpress/?p=13755


so,a private company having a contract with an individual can unilaterally cancel contract and seize private property; Richard Spencer under the rule of law could very well have his own ISP company and servers; but, that only applies under the rule of law, not in the United States.

Blogger Justin Faust May 05, 2018 7:22 PM  

This makes me sad that someone of such skill as Rafael is subject to a CoC. Just listen to this rubbish!

> "Outreachy Eligibility Rules"
> You live any where in the world and you identify as a woman (cis or trans), trans man, or genderqueer person (including genderfluid or genderfree).
> [... or] you are a person of any gender who is Black/African American, Hispanic/Latin@, Native American/American Indian, Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian, or Pacific Islander

Blogger Crew May 05, 2018 7:38 PM  

As an aside, can someone explain how you support yourself and make a living spending all your time doing free programming? What am I missing?

You find and contribute to a project that is in demand among employers. That way you get known and can command a reasonable salary.

Eg, the Linux kernel or VPN software etc.

Blogger weka May 05, 2018 8:08 PM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger Doktor Jeep May 05, 2018 8:13 PM  

You know the best "home" for men driven off by this CoC SJW crap would be a project to make all human resources functions fully automated and entirely free of bias (corporate lawyers will love that).

Blogger Snidely Whiplash May 05, 2018 8:28 PM  

jb wrote:Your take on this?
"Gamers are dead."

Blogger Dirk Manly May 05, 2018 9:15 PM  

@18

"But how do you ensure your project isn't just taken over by socjus after 12 years?"

Youi establish the anti-fragile code of Conduct.

Article 1. This is the Code of Conduct.
Article 2. Anyone advocating or suggesting modifications to this Code of Contact shall be immediately removed and banished from this organization.
Article 3. There is no Article 4 or any other substance to this Code of Conduct beyond this Article, Article 3.

Blogger Dirk Manly May 05, 2018 9:20 PM  

@20

"We can always go back to earlier versions of LLVM and GCC ..."

However, forking, even when necessary, is disruptive.

It's better to make the organization STRUCTURALLY HOSTILE to SJW's with the SJW-hostile Code of Conduct above.

Any SJW reading that will leave immediately, because even sending out a single post/message/e-mail about how it's "not sufficient", "incomplete", "not friendly," blah-blah-freaking-blah is immediate grounds for forcible expulsion from the group.

Blogger Dirk Manly May 05, 2018 9:22 PM  

@21

"Strong leadership. Linux has been open source for 26 years and counting. Linus doesn't believe in political correctness, thank god."

And his intolerance for political games has literally chased a couple SJWism promoters out of the mailing lists.... in deliciously salty tears.

Anonymous Anonymous May 06, 2018 12:56 AM  

"You are available for a full-time, 40 hours a week internship from May 14, 2018 to Aug. 14, 2018."

Internship … isn't that unpaid labour? These people want african-americans (etc) for full-time unpaid labour? Isn't there a word for that?

Internships betray one of the core values of the left: social justice. Because they are unpaid, they are a tool for keeping the lower classes out of well-paying jobs. Only the relatively well-off have daddy paying the bills while they work for free. Those privileged few can then apply for the real job with an internship under their belt.

Blogger Dirk Manly May 06, 2018 2:36 AM  

@22

"What would stop a straight man from "identifying" as one of the eligible groups? Is there a purity test? If I worked for one of these ridiculous companies I'd make sure HR knew I identified as gender-fluid and would threaten litigation if anyone doubted me."

That's NOT A win.

Then you get counted as being one of the GBLTOMGWTFBBQ, adding to their supposed numbers, thereby giving them more political strength. That's EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT -- to intimidate the entire population into saying, "we're WITH YOU."

It is a losing strategy, because the bigger the numbers they can point to (backed up by actual names with birth dates and everything) the more power they have to perpetuate this B.S.

The better thing to do is ridicule them.

That's why I *ALWAYS* refer to them as GBLTOMGWTFBBQ. And you should, too.

And remember, there are a lot of Gays (such as BGKB) and transes who DO NOT WANT to be associated with the GBLTOMGWTFBBQ crowd.

And a genuine Trans doesn't want ANYONE to know about the pre-operative past -- each one is desperately trying to pass under the new identity. They will usually upend their entire life: cutting off contact with people who they used to know, quitting their job, and after healing up, getting new work under the new identity. They don't care about "Transgender bathroom policies" because if ANYONE knows they are trans, then they are failing horribly -- to them, it's not even an issue, because NOBODY IS GOING TO QUESTION THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I say this because I know one. He/she/whatever not only wouldn't even think of going into a male bathroom -- NOBODY ELSE would even think he (she? whatever) belongs in one, either.

The only "trans" people that anyone knows about are the ones who want to make a spectacle of themselves... you know, the usual trainwrecks and lolcows such as "Caroline Ada Emhke" and the superfreak which calls itself Giant Space Kat


Blogger Crew May 06, 2018 9:44 AM  

"Outreachy Eligibility Rules"
You live any where in the world and you identify as a woman (cis or trans), trans man, or genderqueer person (including genderfluid or genderfree).
[... or] you are a person of any gender who is Black/African American, Hispanic/Latin@, Native American/American Indian, Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian, or Pacific Islander


Of course they discriminate against homeless people.

Blogger Joel C. Salomon May 08, 2018 10:57 AM  

What’s Latin for “there and back again”? Not that the 57 genders are named with any sort of linguistic rigor, so Google Translate might suffice: “reditio-masculine genderqueer (pronouns he/him/his)”. SJW-buzzword-compliant definition: “Assigned male at birth; presents as masculine by choice rather than by complying to societal norms.”

(I’m sure others more versed in SJW cant can improve on this.)

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts