ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2018 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Got to punch that ticket

People are literally committing crimes to try to get their children into universities considered prestigious:
The scheme was uncovered by the FBI and federal prosecutors in Boston, who discovered that dozens of parents had paid a total of $6million in bribes to get their children into elite schools including Yale, Stanford, Georgetown, and UCLA. In many instances the children were unaware that their parents had paid these bribes, according to federal documents.

Most of those charged either paid to get higher SAT scores or faked an athletic resume that, with the participation of a bribed college coach, helped the children get accepted to a college as a team's recruit. Prosecutors said in court on Tuesday that some students also lied about their ethnicity on applications to take advantage of affirmative action.

William Rick Singer, the founder of Key Worldwide Foundation, had been identified as the alleged mastermind behind the scandal. The documents claim that since 2011, Singer has received $25million from parents which was used to payoff or bribe individuals who could 'designate their children as recruited athletes, or other favored admissions categories'. In his biography on the website for the Newport Beach-based Key Foundation, Singer is heralded for his ability to get children into the college of their choice. Singer is also praised for 'helping students discover their life passion, and guiding them along with their families through the complex college admissions maze'.

Huffman paid a $15,000 'charitable contribution to participate in the college entrance exam cheating scheme on behalf of her eldest daughter,' according to the complaint. She also 'later made arrangements to pursue the scheme a second time, for her younger daughter, before deciding not to do so'.

The charging documents state that Huffman had the site where her daughter took the SATs moved from her own high school to a test center in West Hollywood. Her test was then administered by a proctor who had flown in from Tampa and told investigators that he 'facilitated cheating, either by correcting the student's answers after the test or by actively assisting the student during the exam'. In this case, Huffman's daughter scored a 1420 out of 1600 in December 2017, which was a 400 point improvement from her PSAT results just one year prior....

Problems arose however when Olivia's guidance counselor became curious as to how she managed to receive admission based on her involvement in crew since she did not row.  At the same time, Loughlin complained that her daughter was having difficulty filling out her other college applications, prompting Singer to ask an employee to take care of the task. This was done so as not to draw attention to the fact that it was already confirmed Olivia had received conditional admission to USC.

At some point, there was a very heated and public altercation between Giannulli and the counselor, which elicited an email from Heinel asking that it not happen again in the future so as to avoid detection.  Everything began to fall apart in October 2018 when the IRS audited Key Worldwide and began to look into donations made by parents whose children were then admitted to USC. Loughlin and Giannulli were told by Singer to say they had given the $500,000 to the foundation to help 'underserved kids.
The whole system is going to collapse soon. The lawsuit filed by a number of Asian families against Harvard is almost certainly going to expose far worse practices being committed systematically by the universities themselves as a result of collusion between the admissions offices and a specific identity group that dominates the admissions offices.

Labels: ,

166 Comments:

Blogger Nate March 13, 2019 8:04 AM  

I need the complete list of those busted in the sting operation... then I need to compare it with their twitter feeds... let us see how often they complain about white privilege guys making 20 bucks an hour because of a maga hat.

Blogger Nate March 13, 2019 8:05 AM  

Tucker had a professor from Notre Dame on. The guy said he had been at Princeton when a female professor was lecturing incoming freshmen about how there was no place for elitism or exclusivism at Princeton.

***blink***

Blogger McChuck March 13, 2019 8:09 AM  

This is what the FBI has been wasting their time on.
If this sort of thing is a RICO Act violation, why are Sharpton and Jackson not in prison for shaking down hundreds of companies and individuals?

Blogger McChuck March 13, 2019 8:11 AM  

This also shows that the hard part is getting into an "elite" college. Once you're there, as long as your bills get paid and you show up at least once a week, you'll pass the classes and graduate.

Blogger Jo K March 13, 2019 8:11 AM  

I can understand the desire to do anything, pay anything, to help your children. To give them that extra edge in life. That said, these actions are arguably more an illusion of help than actual help.

Shrug.

I don't like any actors, or anyone associated with Hollywood for that matter, but as that breed goes I tend to favor Lori Loughlin more than most. As such, I'm disappointed to see her mixed up in this.

Blogger basementhomebrewer March 13, 2019 8:12 AM  

Anxiously awaiting the day when the public/employers hear "Ivy League" and think "corrupt" rather than "prestigious".

Blogger basementhomebrewer March 13, 2019 8:15 AM  

Jo K wrote:I can understand the desire to do anything, pay anything, to help your children. To give them that extra edge in life. That said, these actions are arguably more an illusion of help than actual help.

Shrug.

I don't like any actors, or anyone associated with Hollywood for that matter, but as that breed goes I tend to favor Lori Loughlin more than most. As such, I'm disappointed to see her mixed up in this.


That is where you are wrong. The classes aren't any harder than any other semi reputable university. I have met several idiots from elite schools in my day and despite the fact they are idiots people still say "he is no dummy, he went to Harvard/Yale etc."

Anonymous Anonymous March 13, 2019 8:17 AM  

I wonder if the Harvard lawsuit will inadvertently pick up any interesting info regarding how Harvard has overrepresented (((fellow whites))) by 15-20X for the past several decades.

Blogger Nate March 13, 2019 8:22 AM  

"This is what the FBI has been wasting their time on.
If this sort of thing is a RICO Act violation, why are Sharpton and Jackson not in prison for shaking down hundreds of companies and individuals?"

Jesus Christ... this is the first useful thing the FBI has done in about 60 years.

Blogger The Cooler March 13, 2019 8:23 AM  

Burn, baby, burn.

Blogger Nate March 13, 2019 8:24 AM  

" That said, these actions are arguably more an illusion of help than actual help."

15k for a 400 point boost on the SAT. How the fuck is that an illusion of help?

This is some advanced stupid here.

Blogger Peaceful Poster March 13, 2019 8:29 AM  

Which group is massively over-represented in those schools again? I forgot.

Blogger Jab Burrwalky March 13, 2019 8:32 AM  

As requested.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/pr/arrests-made-nationwide-college-admissions-scam-alleged-exam-cheating-athletic

Blogger Ominous Cowherd March 13, 2019 8:35 AM  

Wait - I thought everyone knew this was how kids got into the Ivies? Until diversity pokemon points came along, you bought your way in, or were a legacy, or both.

Blogger Cataline Sergius March 13, 2019 8:40 AM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger Cataline Sergius March 13, 2019 8:41 AM  

I should have read the article first.

The reason this got any play at all was because it was Desperate Housewives star that got busted.

This is starting to feel like the nouveau riche were getting slapped down for offering insufficient bribes.

You can't build a new lab building for a quarter of a million dollars. It just can't be done.

Up your ante or go to jail!

Blogger Salt March 13, 2019 8:41 AM  

some students also lied about their ethnicity on applications to take advantage of affirmative action

1/1024 should work.

Blogger Vessimede Barstool March 13, 2019 8:44 AM  

Oy Vey! The bigotry and prejudice I'm reading!! We're risking another Holocaust in Amerikkka if this doesn't stop.

Too be clear, the reason why a certain identity group are massively over represented in the top Universities and dominate American industry and politics is because they have supa dupa high IQs, like 10 points above normal white people. It's just meritocracy in action. Science bitches.

This contrasts with how white people do better than blacks, which is 100% down to racism and slavery. Which is why we need affirmative action.

@5 Hollywood actors are famous for pretending. Why does anyone think that wouldn't apply to their public persona? I'm sure many if not most celebrities put on pink pussy hats and tweet woke bullshit for the sole purpose of virtue signalling to their peers and to prevent being ostracised by the (((executives))) who control their industry.

Blogger VD March 13, 2019 8:45 AM  

Hey, you pay for a building, you damn well should get your kids into the school. That's fair play.

Blogger Leatherwing March 13, 2019 8:45 AM  

William H. Macy is a much bigger star than his wife. This is the first article I've seen you name him.

Also, article says they paid a total of 6 million but Singer had collected 25 million. Did I miss the explanation of that discrepancy?

Blogger Nate March 13, 2019 8:47 AM  

"As requested."

thanks man. digging through it now.

Blogger Matt March 13, 2019 8:49 AM  

Nate, he meant that it wasn't help in the sense of raising your kids into upright human beings.

Cf, I saw an article digging up some of Lori's kid's social media. She explicitly said she wasn't there for class, she was there for the parties. Basic carousel riding. Sad, if her mom was hoping a "good school" would fix that.

Blogger Nate March 13, 2019 8:50 AM  

"Hey, you pay for a building, you damn well should get your kids into the school. That's fair play."

for some reason that bothers me less than buying your daughters way onto the rowing team when neither have ever actually rowed in their lives.

Blogger pyrrhus March 13, 2019 8:51 AM  

Jared Kushner, an indifferent student, was admitted to Harvard after his father pledged $2.5 million in donations.

Blogger Nate March 13, 2019 8:53 AM  

"Jared Kushner, an indifferent student, was admitted to Harvard after his father pledged $2.5 million in donations."

see... I don't have much of a problem with that. for 2.5 million they should've given him a free ride and a degree regardless of what he did while he was there.. or if he even bothered to show up at all.

Blogger Ominous Cowherd March 13, 2019 8:58 AM  

pyrrhus wrote:Jared Kushner, an indifferent student, was admitted to Harvard after his father pledged $2.5 million in donations.

Tradition. I always heard that was how the elite schools operated, even before (((they))) took over.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan March 13, 2019 8:58 AM  

Even the left is having a field day with this, everything is obtuse with the left with phony virtue signaling while doing IRL a 180 degree from that. Outside of the neighborhood that surrounds USC or did back in the day getting there for a young white girl is a chance at higher quality D more than likely upscale white D, versus going to school with the field hands at some state school, some equality.

Blogger rumpole5 March 13, 2019 9:00 AM  

Perhaps this explains the apparent cognitive decline of our costal elites. I wonder how long it will be before the electricity goes down because no one can figure out how to synochronize the generators (see recent events in Venezuela). It is like a chapter out of Atlas Shrugged.

Blogger Amy March 13, 2019 9:02 AM  

Every day brings me more laughter and smiles as this whole charade comes tumbling down.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan March 13, 2019 9:02 AM  

I can understand how the right wing intellectuals and spergatoids are bushwhacked into taking the Left at face value but how is it that our women folk fall for the Left's petty little girlish lies.

Blogger VD March 13, 2019 9:05 AM  

for some reason that bothers me less

For the reason that a freaking building is a much bigger contribution than any individual student is ever likely to make to the campus.

If the price of getting assured acceptance is merely 15k, lots of people can do that and should be given the option.

Blogger Damelon Brinn March 13, 2019 9:08 AM  

When your name is on a building, everyone knows why you're there. There's no real lie, just an understanding that buildings cost money. That's very different from letting parents buy a sports exemption to get their dull-witted, unathletic kid into a top journalism school so she can go on to write barely-literate screeds about sportsball for a news website.

When it seems like the people in charge of things are getting dumber, that's because they are, literally.

Blogger Longtime Lurker March 13, 2019 9:11 AM  

" . . . some students also lied about their ethnicity on applications to take advantage of affirmative action."

It's been said before: If government paid people to quit smoking, people would take up smoking just to get the money.

Blogger Manuel March 13, 2019 9:18 AM  

The two actresses could not get any more privileged and they still cheated.
How many of them are married to or are men who wear little hats?

Blogger dc.sunsets March 13, 2019 9:27 AM  

Popcorn!
Each and every American institution is destroying itself from within.
The MSM
Government itself (c'mon, open morons like Booker, Ocasio, Waters, etc. are RULERS?! FFS, what a laughing stock is our political system now.)
"Higher Ed?"

We now see just how deep the Cargo Cult actually goes.
Knowledge and ability isn't required for an IVY degree (or any.) The degree itself CONFERS knowledge and ability, the same as a cargo plane made of bamboo will cause a return of the cargo.

Anyone who CAN'T see that cargo cult cognition underlies all of this is an utter fool. Putting Magic Negroes into med school, putting women into fighter planes and front-line combat units or putting people with measured IQ's that are a standard deviation too low to actually COMPLETE rigorous courses of study (e.g., electrical or mechanical engineering, comp sci, chemistry, physics, etc.) doesn't CREATE PEOPLE who can actually PRODUCE what innately capable (usually male) people did prior to this idiocy.

It's actually funny: This cargo cult has succeeded in making elite professions, schools, etc., the LEADING EDGE OF IDIOCRACY.

Blogger Dave March 13, 2019 9:30 AM  

Hell, even the US Attorney made the distinction between donating a building and fraud.

Singer ran the charity, Key Worldwide Foundation, which received $25 million in total to guarantee the admissions, U.S. Attorney Andrew Lelling said during a Tuesday news conference. The charitable foundation was allegedly used as a front to run the admissions scheme.

"There can be no separate college admission system for the wealthy and there will not be a separate criminal justice system either," Lelling said. "We're not talking about donating a building so a school is more likely to take your son or daughter, we're talking about deception or fraud."

Blogger 1st Earl Hardwicke March 13, 2019 9:35 AM  

Effectively trying to purchase sinecures, but with no where near the efficiency.

Blogger One Deplorable DT March 13, 2019 9:35 AM  

@25 - see... I don't have much of a problem with that. for 2.5 million they should've given him a free ride and a degree regardless of what he did while he was there.. or if he even bothered to show up at all.

I have a problem with it because elite positions in our nation's government and industry are handed out based on college degrees from specific institutions. An "indifferent student" therefore ends up with the power to royally screw things up just because daddy made a donation to the right school.

If rigorous, independent testing determined the outcome and an honest, high IQ individual from a state school could obtain the position over a midwit with money from Harvard, then I might not have a problem with it. But no such system exists. And if it did with the state of religious and cultural decay we have now, it would be a gamed system to.

Blogger SDaly March 13, 2019 9:36 AM  

The mastermind behind this, Rick Singer, looks to be a Member of the Tribe.

30 years ago, I went to an Ivy. I came from a very good small public high school where 13 out of a class of 140 went to Ivies. No one cheated his way in. None of us had parents of sufficient wealth to buy our way in. Only one of us took a SAT prep classes. Those were relatively new at the time, and no one else had even known such things existed. The one who took the SAT prep class was one of three Jews in the class of 140. Apparently, it was a big thing to do in the next town over, which was heavily Jewish.

If there is a way to game a system, they will find it first. Others have to follow – to the extent it is legal – or be disadvantaged.

Blogger One Deplorable DT March 13, 2019 9:42 AM  

Prosecutors said in court on Tuesday that some students also lied about their ethnicity on applications to take advantage of affirmative action.

And what if they simply identify as that ethnicity? We let men identify as women and women as men. Who is to say that a white male student cannot identify as a half black, half American Indian, all Jewish female applicant with a disability?

If we're going to be consistent then the kids who "lied" about their ethnicity should be given awards and a free ride for daring to come out as who they really feel they are. So powerful. So brave!

Blogger swiftfoxmark2 March 13, 2019 9:42 AM  

More proof that Ivy League degrees are about as valuable as single-ply toilet paper. If these kids get in through bribery and still manage to be successful in life, then that means that college is a waste of time.

Blogger Paul M March 13, 2019 9:42 AM  

The solution is to bring back finishing schools as a way for the rich to identify themselves. Leave the universities for the genuine academics.

Blogger Damelon Brinn March 13, 2019 9:43 AM  

this is the first useful thing the FBI has done in about 60 years.

No kidding. Academia is a major pillar of the enemy. Institutions like Harvard have such large endowments that they can spin off millions to fund all sorts of evil without even noticing it. Any damage done to them should be applauded.

Anyone who CAN'T see that cargo cult cognition underlies all of this is an utter fool.

That's the term that keeps coming to my mind too. See also Wisconsin giving driver's licenses to illegal aliens to make them safer drivers. Or Hollywood thinking they can assemble a movie out of plot points and scenes from previous hit movies and have something just as good. There are a whole lot of midwits and lower trying to mimic the success of their forebears without understanding it.

Blogger dc.sunsets March 13, 2019 9:48 AM  

@38

George W. Bush? (It's not limited to naked bribery for admission.)

The entire notion that going to "the right school" confers some sort of intellectual aura on a man or woman is so [expletive deleted] asinine, yet so phenomenally pervasive, that one is invited to bay at the moon in despondency over the sad state of humanity itself.

But people believe what they (or better, their peers or "the experts") believe, no matter how F-ing stupid it is. Today's poster-child? A graph at the St. Louis Fed's FRED of the interest rate of the 10-year T-note from 9/81 to 9/18 compared to total credit market debt during the same period. As the price of debt skyrocketed, the amount demanded (supplied) did so too, from $5T to $71T. So much for Econ 101 and Rational Investment Theory. It's the Madness of Crowds in two graphs. Yet invisible to every Haaavaaahd Economist on Earth.

Blogger pyrrhus March 13, 2019 9:57 AM  

"see... I don't have much of a problem with that. for 2.5 million they should've given him a free ride and a degree regardless of what he did while he was there.. or if he even bothered to show up at all."

I have a big problem with that, for several reasons. It's dishonest. It debases the value of a Harvard degree, and I am an alum..Jared the dope now has credibility when he advises the President to say stupid and anti-American things. It encourages others to do the same, and discourages kids without money but with a lot of smarts from applying.

Blogger S1AL March 13, 2019 10:01 AM  

I hate to borrow a libertarian talking point here, but this entire conversation is the extended version of "laws create a black market". Everyone appears to be in agreement that this would be just fine if it were done openly... And I agree. Set a $$ amount, guaranteed admission, no problem. Beneficial side effect of people on the outside seeing just how much value is placed on having the "correct" degree.

Blogger pyrrhus March 13, 2019 10:01 AM  

Every single Justice graduated from Harvard or Yale law school, so it's a key credential in DC...Yet I know for a fact that students have bought their way into both...Saudi money reportedly bought Obama in, and he was far from the first.

Blogger Peaceful Poster March 13, 2019 10:04 AM  

Scott Adams says Felicity Huffman is the Mother of the Year.

Blogger pyrrhus March 13, 2019 10:04 AM  

@46 But if it were done openly, the credential's value would be destroyed. Secrecy is key to the scam, because the Booboisie has to believe......Libertarians are idiots.

Blogger KPKinSunnyPhiladelphia March 13, 2019 10:07 AM  

Ominous Cowherd wrote:pyrrhus wrote:Jared Kushner, an indifferent student, was admitted to Harvard after his father pledged $2.5 million in donations.

Tradition. I always heard that was how the elite schools operated, even before (((they))) took over.


When my kids were getting ready to go to college, we took a whack at some of the elite universities. My kids were very smart, but didn't get in, but a couple of equal or somewhat lesser ability kids did get in, because of the "legacy" aspect. One dad, a very successful investor, was an ongoing donor to his alma mater.

But all the kids were capable -- the same way Jared Kushner was no doubt "capable."

Is this "bad?" Maybe, but life isn't fair. Preferential treatment is part and parcel of the human condition.

However, as far as I know, none of the kids or their parents cheated like these people did. Sometimes the line between "cheating" and "preferential treatment" is murky, but in this case the line is very bright indeed.

Blogger dc.sunsets March 13, 2019 10:09 AM  

Everybody desires a shortcut, an easy road.

I don't refer to the clowns who bribe, "connect" or scam their way into "elite" institutions. I refer to people who want a shortcut that allows them to look at a man or woman and immediately KNOW they're brilliant, wise, restrained, commonwealth oriented, and have a low time preference.

IOW, they want a Cliff's Notes system to know "who to trust."

Good news for such folks: The Easter Bunny is coming soon.

Any such "system" would be hijacked in a microsecond by sociopaths and Machiavellians intent on using that imprimatur as a means to facilitate rape, robbery and murder.

Lo and behold, those with eyes can see the Ivy League (and all other mainstream means of "qualifying" those on the path to High Offices in politics, corporations, academia and media) were so captured within moments of their origins.

We're always ruled by scum.

Blogger Lazzaloveman March 13, 2019 10:15 AM  

Schlomo Schekelstein “Looks to be” a Jew? You sure you went to an Ivy?

Blogger wahr01 March 13, 2019 10:16 AM  

pyrrhus wrote:Every single Justice graduated from Harvard or Yale law school

Good luck finding conservative ones 20 years from now then..
https://www.louderwithcrowder.com/dumbass-yale-sjws-verbally-assault-professor-of-safe-spaces/

Either "yale" and "harvard" will need to be black-listed by whatever party opposes marxism or we can look forward to "hate speech" rulings.

Blogger Jo K March 13, 2019 10:20 AM  

@11 Nate "15k for a 400 point boost on the SAT. How the fuck is that an illusion of help? This is some advanced stupid here."

It's an illusion of help because it appears helpful at first glance. But looking closer, it's not helpful to buy your kids a spot that should otherwise be earned. The process undermines work ethic. It becomes difficult for the kids in question to appreciate opportunity appropriately, and thus achievement is perceived through a bitter lens that values bribery over effort.

These parents have done their children no favors. It's more about the ego of their personal social standing. My kid got into...

Blogger Nate March 13, 2019 10:20 AM  

"I have a big problem with that, for several reasons. It's dishonest. It debases the value of a Harvard degree, and I am an alum..Jared the dope now has credibility when he advises the President to say stupid and anti-American things. It encourages others to do the same, and discourages kids without money but with a lot of smarts from applying."

God you're a Harvard Grad... no wonder you're having a hard time with this. Ok I'll type slower for you.

See it isn't dishonest.. because the pledge was publicly made. It obviously does not devalue the degree.... because its been going on forever and here we are... the degree is still worth pretty much the same as it ever has been. Which is.. it is your ticket into the ruling class. Jared doesn't have credibility because he graduated from Harvard. He has credibility because Trump gives it to him because he is married to Trump's daughter. No one gives a shit where Jared went to school. We all just assumed some bullshit ivy league school. Because ruling class.

Now... I realize you're a Harvard grad now so if you're still having trouble... I dunno.. I guess I'll have recruit a bushman to translate this into the odd pops and clicks of his language... or maybe I could get a millennial to insert several "likes" and "whatevers" into it.

Blogger Tars Tarkusz March 13, 2019 10:21 AM  

While I have no doubt this sort of thing has always happened, this appears to be one set of cheating kids and parents trying to overcome another set of cheating parents.
Diversity™ goals, affirmative action and athletics have allowed kids who should not be near any college to become a significant part of the student body.
Diversity™ kids in city schools who can graduate at the top of their class while reading at a 6th grade level etc is another problem.

Blogger Dave March 13, 2019 10:21 AM  

pyrrhus wrote:"see... I don't have much of a problem with that. for 2.5 million they should've given him a free ride and a degree regardless of what he did while he was there.. or if he even bothered to show up at all."

I have a big problem with that, for several reasons. It's dishonest. It debases the value of a Harvard degree, and I am an alum..Jared the dope now has credibility when he advises the President to say stupid and anti-American things. It encourages others to do the same, and discourages kids without money but with a lot of smarts from applying.


I take it you didn't receive Hogg with open arms? As an alum, did you send a strongly worded letter of objection?

Blogger Ominous Cowherd March 13, 2019 10:23 AM  

But if it were done openly, the credential's value would be destroyed. Secrecy is key to the scam, because the Booboisie has to believe...

It's the opposite of a Veblen Good: it's status signaling by inconspicuous consumption.

Blogger Ominous Cowherd March 13, 2019 10:26 AM  

It's an illusion of help because it appears helpful at first glance. But looking closer, it's not helpful to buy your kids a spot that should otherwise be earned. The process undermines work ethic.

It also puts idiots in a place where they simply cannot keep up, or forces the entire school to be paced for idiots. It precludes education.

Blogger Jo K March 13, 2019 10:27 AM  

@7 basmenthomebrewer "That is where you are wrong. The classes aren't any harder than any other semi reputable university."

I have no idea what you're talking about. I neither said nor suggested that the classes were any harder. In fact, I expressed zero opinion on the difficulty level of the classes.

The "extra edge" I was referring to was giving your child access to a degree from a prestigious university. There's value in the degree regardless of how you feel about the difficulty level of the classes. In addition, I hear the networking is pretty darn profitable too. That's what the volunteers at the soup kitchen say when I eavesdrop, anyway.

Blogger Francis Parker Yockey March 13, 2019 10:28 AM  

@24 @25
It was actually a twofer bribe -- Jared's brother Joshua got into Harvard as well.

@39
The mastermind behind this, Rick Singer, looks to be a Member of the Tribe.

Shocking.

@40
And what if they simply identify as that ethnicity?

Sounds like those FBI bigots are attempting to question these poor oppressed students' lived experience as transethnics. Very problematic in the current year.

Blogger Johnny March 13, 2019 10:38 AM  

I suppose it goes like this. The Ivy League has to let some people in on merit because that causes the average graduate to be more capable than normal. Next they let in some people for the money they get, and these people pick up the premise of being above average in ability because on average the group is above average. It works to the benefit of both sides. The smart but not rich guys get a high status education as do the rich but not smart guys. And what really helps hold it together is that both smart and rich are high status qualities. And so what the hell, they are all high status.

The problem likely to develop with the above system is excessive greed on the part of the university. In any one time period the university can get more money by favoring the rich over the smart, but in the long run that degrades the value of the degree because it makes the degree people into a rich man's club, and that is not as good as rich and smart at the same time.

I think old Richard Nixon was right. We would be better off without the whole Ivy League thing.

And they let Hogg in, did they? Talk about lowering your standards.

Blogger VD March 13, 2019 10:43 AM  

I have a big problem with that... it debases the value of a Harvard degree, and I am an alum.

(laughs) You don't say. Here's the thing. Some of us already know Harvard grads are mostly midwitted bullshitters. Did you never hear me tell the tale of the Harvard "hockey player" who I publicly busted at a Harvard party because he was dumb enough to misrepresent himself on the very night Harvard's hockey team was playing away against Minnesota?

Oversized Harvard guy to a group of girls and me: Yeah, so, I play on the hockey team.
VD: Oh, are you injured?
HG: Me? What? No. Why?
VD: I just assume you must be injured or you'd be with the team.
HG: Whuh?
VD: They're in Minnesota tonight. Why aren't you with them?
HG: Minnesota?
VD: The Harvard hockey team is playing against the University of Minnesota hockey team. Tonight. In Minnesota. Why aren't you there?
HG: Oh, uh, I mean, well, I play INTRAMURAL hockey. (flees)
VD: I thought you people were supposed to be smart.

Blogger Jo K March 13, 2019 10:48 AM  

I suppose it could be argued that part of the Ivy experience is being able to network with the children of highly successful people. In that sense, it's about more than just an education. It's about making contacts for future prosperity. As such, it's beneficial to the student body as a whole to allow in candidates who have stellar familial ties even if they happen to have lackluster scholastic achievements.

Blogger Johnny March 13, 2019 10:54 AM  

@64 Jo K
Or to sum it up, it is a program of preferential treatment from the people who lobby against preferential treatment among the rest of us. Not that different from the 'in' crowd in Hollywood.

Blogger Francis Parker Yockey March 13, 2019 11:00 AM  

A related kind of corruption has been going on in the Ivies for a long time:

A classic piece by (((Ron Unz))) from 2012:

The Myth of American Meritocracy

The real beneficiaries of so-called "affirmative action" (anti-white racial preferences) aren't who you think they are.

Consider the ratio of the recent 2007–2011 enrollment of Asian students at Harvard relative to their estimated share of America’s recent NMS [National Merit Scholarship -- based on PSAT scores] semifinalists, a reasonable proxy for the high-ability college-age population, and compare this result to the corresponding figure for whites. The Asian ratio is 63 percent, slightly above the white ratio of 61 percent, with both these figures being considerably below parity due to the substantial presence of under-represented racial minorities such as blacks and Hispanics, foreign students, and students of unreported race.

However, if we separate out the Jewish students, their ratio turns out to be 435 percent, while the residual ratio for non-Jewish whites drops to just 28 percent, less than half of even the Asian figure. As a consequence, Asians appear under-represented relative to Jews by a factor of seven, while non-Jewish whites are by far the most under-represented group of all, despite any benefits they might receive from athletic, legacy, or geographical distribution factors. The rest of the Ivy League tends to follow a similar pattern, with the overall Jewish ratio being 381 percent, the Asian figure at 62 percent, and the ratio for non-Jewish whites a low 35 percent, all relative to their number of high-ability college-age students.

Relative to the number of high-ability students in each population, Asians get into Harvard at 1/7 the rate that members of the Tribe do. But non-Jewish whites? 1/15.

Guess which group accounts for two-thirds of Harvard grad students?

Blogger Francis Parker Yockey March 13, 2019 11:12 AM  

@50
Charles Kushner is not a Harvard alum. No legacy factor. Jared (and Joshua) got into Harvard on a straight-up bribe -- plus some pressure applied via Frank Lautenberg and Ted Kennedy.

@55
Jared doesn't have credibility because he graduated from Harvard.

No one gives a shit where Jared went to school.

So Charles Kushner (not a Harvard alum) gave $2.5M to Harvard purely out of a spirit of selfless charity?

Sounds legit.

Blogger Longtime Lurker March 13, 2019 11:15 AM  

@63: "Here's the thing. Some of us already know Harvard grads are mostly midwitted bullshitters."

Here's the other thing: Those midwitted bullshitters with Harvard degrees face King-Sized expectations out here in the real world.

And the gap between those lofty expectations and the capability to meet said expectations? Yup, it's chasmic.

Like the master said, "We should remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school."

And that school ain't Harvard, unless "severest" is defined in terms of the socially exclusive obstacle course that elite wannabes must negotiate to win entry.

What was it that Peter Turchin said? Something about too many wannabes chasing to few elite slots.

Blogger Timmy3 March 13, 2019 11:21 AM  

I just find it comical that USC was on the list.

Blogger VD March 13, 2019 11:24 AM  

I just find it comical that USC was on the list.

They're in the LA acting industry. If you've got a degree from USC, you're intellectual light years ahead of the average actor or actress. And I understand the film school there is actually pretty good.

Blogger Noah B The Savage Gardener March 13, 2019 11:33 AM  

Petty scams like these can't be tolerated because they undermine the big scams.

Blogger Nate March 13, 2019 11:37 AM  

"It's an illusion of help because it appears helpful at first glance. But looking closer, it's not helpful to buy your kids a spot that should otherwise be earned. The process undermines work ethic. It becomes difficult for the kids in question to appreciate opportunity appropriately, and thus achievement is perceived through a bitter lens that values bribery over effort.

These parents have done their children no favors. It's more about the ego of their personal social standing. My kid got into..."

you're an idiot.

with that extra 400 points that kid can go to tons of great schools for free on scholarship. Being debt free is no little thing boy.

And that 15k in exchange for those 400 points was a fantastic investment. That qualifies her for over 100k in scholarships.

would you pay 15k for 100k in return? if not.. you're an idiot.

Blogger Nate March 13, 2019 11:40 AM  

"So Charles Kushner (not a Harvard alum) gave $2.5M to Harvard purely out of a spirit of selfless charity?

Sounds legit."

Charles cared obviously. None of the rest of us do. I doubt anyone here knew or cared if Jared went to Harvard or Dartmouth or Princeton or Yale. It doesn't matter one bit to us.

Blogger Jack Amok March 13, 2019 11:40 AM  

Anxiously awaiting the day when the public/employers hear "Ivy League" and think "corrupt" rather than "prestigious".

Already happening in the productive economy, and has been for a while. I have a friend, genuinely smart guy, got into Stanford (with a little help from his Native American ethnicity) and got an Engineering degree. He can't get hired by a private company - has always worked for government agencies. Career-wise, he'd have been better off going to UC-Davis or UCSD.



Blogger Nate March 13, 2019 11:41 AM  

"Here's the other thing: Those midwitted bullshitters with Harvard degrees face King-Sized expectations out here in the real world. "

***ahem***

Bullshit.

Something like that depends entirely on the field. A degree from Harvard is good for a trophy position at any number of places including almost every university in America.

Blogger Arthur Isaac March 13, 2019 11:44 AM  

Affirmative action and open borders for thee but my kids still get the Ivy League.

Blogger dc.sunsets March 13, 2019 11:45 AM  

Here's the other thing: Those midwitted bullshitters with Harvard degrees face King-Sized expectations out here in the real world.

And the gap between those lofty expectations and the capability to meet said expectations? Yup, it's chasmic.


I recall the story about how in Iraq during the occupation the Green Zone was largely staffed by a bunch of midwit recent college grads with degrees in poly sci. Do you really think they reaped ANY consequences for the evil they spread?

These are the a-holes who were the busiest of busy-bodies among your H.S. "class officers." They are kissing cousins to a youthful Jordan "I want to run Canada" Petersen.

These people exist ONLY because it's against the law to kill them. They ride their "credentials" to enter places where the damage they do is orders of magnitude greater than any low-life armed robber in the 'hood.

"I'm from [an Ivy League University] and I'm here to help you" should probably incite any thoughtful person to commit the Three S's.

Blogger Azure Amaranthine March 13, 2019 11:47 AM  

I agree with Nate.

That degree isn't just throwing someone into the blender, because people with degrees from Harvard don't typically go into engineering afterward. They go into politics, law, and business, all areas where you can slip and slide by for a long ways on a little bit of BS.

Blogger Ariadne Umbrella March 13, 2019 11:53 AM  

Even if all Ms Loughlin wanted for her daughter was to get an MRS degree, USC is an excellent choice. The Wikipedia page on distinguished alums has major athletes, business founders, and media people, including producers.

I don't know that that's not a bad strategy since debut balls seem to be for old-line trustafarian families these days, rather than regular families trying to introduce their daughters to eligible bachelors.

For however much money, the girl is surrounded by suitable, vetted friends, ambitious young men, makes contacts of her own, and possibly gets introduced to what could be a very wealthy spouse, even if she falls for a poor undergrad. They don't seem to stay poor. The founder of Trader Joe's attended USC. So, a guy who goes into groceries- completely unglamorous- and somehow builds a billion dollar company?

Blogger SDaly March 13, 2019 11:53 AM  

If you aren't a member of the club, you have no idea what doors have not been opened for you.

Blogger Jack Amok March 13, 2019 11:58 AM  

Charles cared obviously. None of the rest of us do.

Exactly. If ol' Charlie showed up at the club with a kid in tow who was going to Dirtwater State U., it would be as embarrassing as driving up in a Buick Le Sabre. But of course Jared's tour of duty at Harvard was to make contacts with the sons of other grandees. That's the real value of "a Harvard Education" and it isn't really available to outsiders, no matter how smart.

This Asian lawsuit against Harvard ought to be interesting. I know a Chinese guy (family moved here when he was a baby) who got into Harvard. He was never invited to the parties or events that the Kushner types went to.

The problem isn't how people get into the schools, it's what happens afterwards:

Every single Justice graduated from Harvard or Yale law school

This ^^^ is the real problem. Too many midwits making decisions who can't tell a smart guy from a bullshitter so they go with the fancy degree.

And I understand the film school there is actually pretty good.

Can confirm.

Blogger Ransom Smith March 13, 2019 11:58 AM  

Even if all Ms Loughlin wanted for her daughter was to get an MRS degree
We use to make that joke years back that every girl that went to Liberty University was there to get her Mrs. degree.
Not so much these days though.

Blogger Dave March 13, 2019 12:03 PM  

One thing is certain, our brave and courageous FBI agents weren't taking any chances when they apprehended the armed and dangerous Huffman. What's that? You say Huffman wasn't armed and isn't dangerous? She also would have surrendered on her own? No, the FBI knows better, they are serious trained professionals, do not question them.

Felicity Huffman knew she was a target of the federal investigation into bribery in the college admissions process ... but she had no idea 7 feds would show up at her door Tuesday morning with guns drawn.

Sources familiar with the arrest tell TMZ, 7 FBI agents showed up at Felicity's Hollywood Hills home at 6 AM and drew their weapons as they ordered Felicity to come out and surrender.

We're told Felicity, her husband William H. Macy and their 2 daughters were asleep when the agents ordered her out. Our sources say she knew the arrest was looming and would have gladly surrendered on her own, but the feds saw it differently.

An FBI source familiar with the arrest tells TMZ guns were drawn as a precaution. It's always left to the agents' discretion whether to draw a firearm during an arrest. (No sh!t, for real?)

The agents took Huffman to a federal building where she was processed by federal marshals.

Blogger Damelon Brinn March 13, 2019 12:05 PM  

Those midwitted bullshitters with Harvard degrees face King-Sized expectations out here in the real world.

In the real world I live in, I don't see many Harvard grads flipping burgers or living in a van down by the river because they couldn't do a job. I'm sure you can find an exception or two, but most of them live in very nice houses, drive very nice cars, and put their own kids in expensive private schools. The whole point of the Ivy League degree is to make expectations irrelevant, because it brings you into a class of people who provide each other with sinecures and social proof.

Blogger dc.sunsets March 13, 2019 12:05 PM  

Any mother who wanted her daughter to get the MRS instead of the Debbie-Did-Dallas-U degree wouldn't send said daughter to ANY university.

Sexual promiscuity isn't a bug it's a FEATURE of every university now (and has been since I attended parent orientation for my oldest, where this was explicitly discussed.) So Lori L.'s (likely very pretty) daughter would be surrounded by a (ahem) carousel of alphas. Stupid is as stupid does, and it seems unlikely that ANY successful woman in the Entertainment Media has become so without greasing a long list of poles on the way.

This culture is satanic. When was that not obvious?

Blogger Longtime Lurker March 13, 2019 12:09 PM  

@84: "In the real world I live in, I don't see many Harvard grads flipping burgers or living in a van down by the river because they couldn't do a job."

In my part of the real world, they don't flip burgers, they just struggle to maintain appearances.

Blogger Kerryman86 March 13, 2019 12:09 PM  

The Jewish century of the 20th century mimics the dutch century of the 17th.

when we look back at the 20th century from roughly 1920 to 2020 it will be known as the Jewish century. succeeding the Anglo century of 1820 to 1920. When comparing different ethnic groups strategic methodologies of dominance the Jewish method can be most aptly compared to the dutch methods of the 1600's. The dutch who dominated the spice trades of Indochina and at one point had seized much of Brazil and Portuguese holding throughout the Caribbean and and at its peak through the dutch east India company controlled 7 trillion dollars in world trade and assets at its peak, However Unlike the fecund English or miscegenationistic Spanish left little genetic or cultural impact on the possessions it controlled. At one point the dutch even conquered much of Brazil form the Portuguese. However the conquered Portuguese colonists and their slave holdings were racially or culturally Portuguese and the indifference of the dutch to this fact made long term dominance impossible. Even New Netherlands which was 50 to 60% ethnically dutch at the time of handover to the British empire didn't even fire a shot of resistance due to the refusal of the dutch empire to protect the colony's borders from marauding Indians. The Dutch;s strategy was a minimalist approach small outposts to strategically control distinct choke points in global trade in order to extract maximum profits for the VOC. Jewish domination of the Anglo American empire after 1920 was based on a similar strategy of controlling specific choke points in global trade and finance. Namely the dominance of central banks, media outlets, Ivy league institutions, intellectual movements, cultural milieus, and the push for cultural Marxism, multiculturalism and white European dispossession under their guidance and control. With the advent of the internet and and emerging technologies that can circumvent said choke points the Jewish century will inevitably fall due to the lack of concern for its constituents and its relatively low genetic and cultural impact.

Blogger Jack Amok March 13, 2019 12:10 PM  

Hey Nate, what's the best way to get in touch regarding that old-school Scouting deal for MotW?

Blogger Amy March 13, 2019 12:14 PM  

Many years ago I worked with a guy, Princeton grad, wealthy family, at a retail store that sold goods for camping, etc.

He later started a college counseling service. He was admitted to Princeton, he could help you get there too. I worked with his wife, later on, when she was a postdoc at an education think tank.

My experiences were not wholesome. This is just the barest of surfaces to scratch. I suspect many more institutions, i.e. ETS, The College Board, and “charitable” foundations like Goldman Sachs and Johns Hopkins CTY will be exposed for their fraud.

Blogger dc.sunsets March 13, 2019 12:14 PM  

@83 a 19-year-old girl shot a Chicago cop trying to serve her last week. Also last week a cop in Rockford, probably just acting as perimeter security, was shot and killed by a fleeing felon the US Marshals were trying to arrest (on warrants involving non-violent crimes) at an Extended Stay Motel. You want to assume people won't react in a bizarre, murderous fashion? Go ahead.

@84 But you will find people (almost all male) with IQ's above 140 doing so.

The probability of entering and remaining in an intellectually elite profession such as Physician, Judge, Professor, Scientist, Corporate Executive, etc. increases with IQ to about 133. It then falls about 1/3 by 140. By 150 IQ the probability has fallen by 97%! In other words, a significant percentage of people with IQs over 140 are being systematically and, most likely inappropriately, excluded from the population that addresses the biggest problems of our time or who are responsible for assuring the efficient operation of social, scientific, political and economic institutions.
http://polymatharchives.blogspot.com/2015/01/the-inappropriately-excluded.html

Do not assume that ANYONE in a high position is all that bright. Most are simply good at tolerating the tedium of modernity, along with having the gift of BS and a trainload of naked ambition.

Blogger Jon Mollison March 13, 2019 12:25 PM  

There's also a lot more understanding about buying a building to get a kid into school because it's right out in the open. You may not respect it, it's a breach of the purported meritocracy after all, but it's understandable. This whole scandal is worse for those involved than mere corruption - it's cheap and tawdry. Getting caught out like that is a much greater sin among these circles than just breaking a few rules.

Blogger tz March 13, 2019 12:27 PM  

DEEP IRONY ALERT:
Rush Limbaugh on his show just now said he will have Ben Shapiro for his next Limbaugh Letter and they will be discussing "Getting into the right school is all that matters". His website should have a transcript in a few hours, but for a moment I wished I was like one of those Indian gods so I could do a sextuple facepalm.

Blogger tz March 13, 2019 12:31 PM  

Just remember at the end of The Wizard of OZ, the Scarecrow got a degree but still had no brain.

At least he prepaid though it was probably worth one broom instead of becomeing a debt slave. OTOH, maybe that was why he was in the field keeping the birds off the grain. Now the Munchkins are going to starve because he abandoned his post!

Blogger Crew March 13, 2019 12:36 PM  

The whole system is going to collapse soon. The lawsuit filed by a number of Asian families against Harvard is almost certainly going to expose far worse practices being committed systematically by the universities themselves as a result of collusion between the admissions offices and a specific identity group that dominates the admissions offices.

What is the probability that the current spectacle is designed to prevent or at least delay that?

Throw a few celebs under the bus.

Blogger Gen. Kong March 13, 2019 12:37 PM  

This is starting to feel like the nouveau riche were getting slapped down for offering insufficient bribes.

You can't build a new lab building for a quarter of a million dollars. It just can't be done.

Up your ante or go to jail!


They were indeed getting in cheap. The folks at Haaavaahd atually know how to run a proper racket - legally of course. According to the much underestimated Steve Sailer, the Haaavaahd numbah was 5 million back in 2012. Even in those halcyon days in the reign of Housenigga Hussein, some of the older money were complaining about the massive inflation of the numbah thanks to the hedge-fund racketeers. Ye olde scratch only knows what it's up to now. Why the hell is the FBI picking on these poor folks?

Blogger James Dixon March 13, 2019 12:37 PM  

> This also shows that the hard part is getting into an "elite" college. Once you're there, as long as your bills get paid and you show up at least once a week, you'll pass the classes and graduate.

That's been the case for at least 50 years, probably more.

> The mastermind behind this, Rick Singer, looks to be a Member of the Tribe.

You think?

> I suppose it goes like this. The Ivy League has to let some people in on merit because that causes the average graduate to be more capable than normal.

I'm pretty sure they've given up on that concept, at least at Harvard and Yale.

Oh, I should mention for Nate's benefit that we're looking at moving to Dothan later this year, though I'll probably still be spending most of my time in WV until we can find a house Meredith likes and get things moved.

Blogger Sean Carnegie March 13, 2019 12:40 PM  

We use to make that joke years back that every girl that went to Liberty University was there to get her Mrs. degree.
Not so much these days though.


Heh, I have a couple friends (he's from the South, she's Canadian) who met and married at Liberty.

Blogger Ariadne Umbrella March 13, 2019 12:41 PM  

People go to Liberty to get an MRS? Why?

#85: It doesn't matter if they carousel, because they are not trying to marry alt-right no hymen, no diamond guys. They are trying to marry the next Judd Apatow.

I was being half-sarcastic. No one outside of small subcultures is working to get nice early 20s girls to get married and settle down and have kids. Mormons do it, but is anyone bribing BYU to let their child in to that school?

What happens is the nice young air-head gets into the school, has the same experiences as her peers, and is familiar with the people from that school or social group. She'll happen to fall into a marriage with a guy from there, with the same sort of background and experience. That is, at minimum, what her mother paid for. An electrician from Mississippi isn't going to look good to that girl, and she's not going to be wife material for the electrician.

The Loughlin daughter isn't trying to get into, say, fashion accounting, or international anything, so she's not trying to take over her dad's business, is she? Does she sound ambitious? From the news reports, not really.


Blogger Gen. Kong March 13, 2019 12:45 PM  

What is the probability that the current spectacle is designed to prevent or at least delay that?

Not the first - or the last - example of a controlled burn. Notice that Harvey the Hutt had all these legal problems while Jeffrey Epstein walks free to this day? While the schadenfreude from the confessions the #metoo morons was tasty and expeditious, the pizza-eaters got away with their endless gluttony.

Blogger Gen. Kong March 13, 2019 12:48 PM  

Inferno, starring Rick Singer as Bernie Made-off.

Blogger Johnny March 13, 2019 12:50 PM  

@87 Kerryman86
>>the dutch century...

You left out that Holland was also a banking center. IIRC gave a loan to Hamilton that stabilized the New York banks early on. Another group that did really well was the city of Venice. Commerce was their business, and they were stable for centuries. Punched way above its weight in population. And I wonder to what extent British success was due to their having a stable bank early on, and, apparently, a (((population))) that knew how to use it.

The reason the interior hill country people in the Bible disliked the Philistines so much is that they occupied the cherry position in the region. While not traders themselves, the Philistines were militarists that leveraged their abilities into occupying the five cities along the coast, all of which were on the major international trade route.

Blogger Dave March 13, 2019 12:58 PM  

dc.sunsets wrote:@83 a 19-year-old girl shot a Chicago cop trying to serve her last week. Also last week a cop in Rockford, probably just acting as perimeter security, was shot and killed by a fleeing felon the US Marshals were trying to arrest (on warrants involving non-violent crimes) at an Extended Stay Motel. You want to assume people won't react in a bizarre, murderous fashion? Go ahead.

Yes, just what we need is more trigger-happy cops drawing their guns every time they pull someone over or perform perimeter security details. In fact, I'm surprised we don't see cops drawing their guns when they stop for donuts, you never know when a violent criminal might just be getting his sugar fix at the same time and decide to open fire.

Blogger Gen. Kong March 13, 2019 1:01 PM  

Just remember at the end of The Wizard of OZ, the Scarecrow got a degree but still had no brain.

The absolute perfect summary of an Ivy-league degree, or just about any degree. There are some notions which are so blindingly stupid that only someone with a Ph.D. would believe in them.

Blogger Ransom Smith March 13, 2019 1:05 PM  

People go to Liberty to get an MRS? Why?
I think the theory at the time was that it was a supposedly good Christian College where like minded men and women could meet.
These days though, that is less common since LU has tried to be more trendy and modern.

Blogger Solon March 13, 2019 1:09 PM  

As a smoker, if the government offered money to get me to "quit," you bet your butt I would take that money, and then just keep smoking regardless. Fortunately, the government is not quite that stupid.

Yet.

Holding my breath for when the Demoncrats start trying to out-Yang each other: "He's offering $1000 a month? Well, I'll give you TWO thousand a month!" Someone in the back: "I'll give you ten thousand and a boat!"

Blogger Nate March 13, 2019 1:17 PM  

"Hey Nate, what's the best way to get in touch regarding that old-school Scouting deal for MotW? "

here... email this guy... he'll take care of it..

Theophrastus@menofthewest.net

Blogger Jo K March 13, 2019 1:21 PM  

@72 Nate "you're an idiot.

with that extra 400 points that kid can go to tons of great schools for free on scholarship. Being debt free is no little thing boy.

And that 15k in exchange for those 400 points was a fantastic investment. That qualifies her for over 100k in scholarships.

would you pay 15k for 100k in return? if not.. you're an idiot."

Do you ever get bruises from the chest pounding?

First, I'm not a boy, but we'll set that aside.

You know what else is no little thing, to use your words? A moral compass.

While I have an IQ of 85 and I most certainly an idiot, my point is painfully clear. Look at the daughter of Loughlin who claimed she didn't want to go to school and only enjoyed it for parties.

I understand you're invested in being right, but reducing the entire transaction to a financial investment is patently myopic. Curiously, are you jewish?

In case it needs to be said, there's a human element. Would you gleefully earn 85k if it meant selling your child's soul? If so then you've got what it takes to make it big in the pictures, kid.

Blogger One Deplorable DT March 13, 2019 1:22 PM  

@44 - George W. Bush? (It's not limited to naked bribery for admission.)

One of but many examples.

The entire notion that going to "the right school" confers some sort of intellectual aura on a man or woman is so [expletive deleted] asinine, yet so phenomenally pervasive, that one is invited to bay at the moon in despondency over the sad state of humanity itself.

It's part of the larger lie of equality which Americans refuse to give up. That diversity American child isn't doing poorly in school because of DNA. We're simply not spending enough money because of racism. That has to be it because we're all eeeequal, and therefore performance is something you can buy.

The alternative is too horrific for modern Americans to contemplate.

Blogger Dr. J March 13, 2019 1:22 PM  

The upper tier schools - mostly Ivy's - still have a disproportionate number of high IQ applicants. Courses in hard sciences and engineering are functionally more difficult since those are graded on a curve. Students are competing against better talent.

The majority of students aren't in those fields, and I would expect a sharp decline in other departments due to Affirmative Action, legacies, (((specials))) and this type of fraud. At least mega-donors and top end athletes (football, men's basketball) are giving something back to the school.

My Harvard experience was in surgery. Be afraid out there - fellowship directors complained that the residency program was churning out docs who can't operate. Big brains with bad hands.

Blogger Tatooine Sharpshooters' Club March 13, 2019 1:23 PM  

I just find it comical that USC was on the list.

The whole affair fits in perfectly with the ethos of the University of Spoiled Children. And the film school is indeed quite prestigious; check out the alumni list:

https://infogalactic.com/info/USC_School_of_Cinematic_Arts#Notable_SCA_alumni

Blogger Francis Parker Yockey March 13, 2019 1:26 PM  

Loughlin and Gianulli allegedly paid the half-million dollar sum to get their daughters into USC, which Gianulli graduated from in 1987, as fake rowing recruits.

The Gianulli and Loughlin girls aren't exactly built like competitive rowers -- and USC has a decent team. Seems a little too obvious. How'd they pull that off?

...the GIANULLIS agreed with CW-1 [Singer] to use bribes to facilitate her admission to USC as a recruited crew coxswain...

Ah. Sneaky. All she has to do is is be on the short side, keep her weight under control, and it looks superficially plausible.

Blogger Francis Parker Yockey March 13, 2019 1:36 PM  

A second cooperating witness joined the probe in September 2018, and is referred as Cooperating Witness 1 (CW-1), and was identified as William Rick Singer, the mastermind behind the entire scandal.

Wut?

Like making a deal with the cartel leader to turn informant... so that you can prosecute drug users.

@90
@83 a 19-year-old girl shot a Chicago cop trying to serve her last week.

So if they wanted to avoid any possible risk of that happening... they would have given her lawyer a call, and said "Hey, turn your client in." Lower risk -- and far less effort -- than the pre-dawn SWAT team raid. Doesn't make for as impressive a "perp walk" video on the teevee, though...

Blogger Skyler the Weird March 13, 2019 1:37 PM  

"Why are Sharpton and Jackson not in prison for shaking down hundreds of companies and individuals?"

Cause the 'Community' would riot. Fans of Full House and Desperate Housewives just laugh.

Blogger justaguy March 13, 2019 1:42 PM  

I really like the idea that the ivies are being shown to have diluted their schools with students of lower merit. Ignoring the children of the super rich/super famous, the graduates of the ivies have to be able to function and perform in the real world. All the big name degree gets them is a shot at companies where they have a chance to perform.

For anything that takes post-graduate education (law, medical, etc.) there is competition not only to get into the program but while in the program. Top law schools have strict curves, you only get ahead by outperforming the other students, the same with medical school. The ivies are trying to hold the line and keep high SAT scores and raw smarts in their incoming classes so their graduates can still perform. No one expects every ivy grad to be big CEO, just some of them.

So for the kid who gets an ivy degree, he gets a leg up on getting that first job, but the reality of a competitive marketplace is that he will be judged on his abilities and social value. Outside of government, I don’t know too many places where not being able to perform gets one ahead. So except for those who are so rich that they don’t have to perform (a very small #, and many of them are top performers anyway), the graduates still have to show the skills of a highly selective group or be funneled into the “he must be a diversity hire” group.

The thing that people don’t realize is how many top/very smart students who have worked their entire lives we are graduating from high schools and then from top state universities. One blogger who picked incoming McKinsey Consulting talked about looking at about 50-60 top schools and wanting top students from them to interview. Here, not only was there a SAT cutoff but grade cutoff in several math and other hard-core courses. Just getting to an ivy isn’t much of a ticket—but I’ll admit that being the kid of a star by itself is a pretty good one—but not at a competitive firm that isn’t marketing/public relations.

So I’m glad the ivies get taken down so the bank of 50-60 tops schools get more equalized.

Blogger Dave March 13, 2019 1:46 PM  

Jo K wrote:@72 Nate

Do you ever get bruises from the chest pounding?

I understand you're invested in being right, but reducing the entire transaction to a financial investment is patently myopic. Curiously, are you jewish?


Yeah Nate, are ya? are you a jooo?

Blogger James Dixon March 13, 2019 1:52 PM  

> Curiously, are you jewish?

> Yeah Nate, are ya? are you a jooo?

Facepalm time.

Blogger One Deplorable DT March 13, 2019 1:53 PM  

@112 - So if they wanted to avoid any possible risk of that happening... they would have given her lawyer a call, and said "Hey, turn your client in." Lower risk -- and far less effort -- than the pre-dawn SWAT team raid. Doesn't make for as impressive a "perp walk" video on the teevee, though...
19 year old girl...
Chicago...
Lawyer...

I'm guessing the demographic is not what you think it is.

Having said that, I'm in agreement that SWAT is overused and an abuse of power. The correct tactic where a lawyer call will not work is to stakeout the suspect and jump them when they're not in a position to resist.

One of these days someone is going to study SWAT tactics, setup a trap, then laugh as an entire team is slaughtered. But until that day cops don't care about the excessive danger they create because they don't perceive that it increases their risk as well.

Blogger dc.sunsets March 13, 2019 2:01 PM  

@117 Not what you think.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/woman-19-held-without-bail-after-allegedly-shooting-cop-in-humboldt-park/

FTR, I'm not fond of worrying about encounters with cops either. But if the Loons get their way, the cops will sit on their hands and then it will be ME having to decide when to return fire. I can't afford to spend $20K armoring a car for grocery store trips.

The system is broken. But it takes a special kind of stupid to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Blogger Snidely Whiplash March 13, 2019 2:15 PM  

dc.sunsets wrote:"I'm from [an Ivy League University] and I'm here to help you" should probably incite any thoughtful person to commit the Three S's.
Around here, the "Three Ses" refers to the plan of action to deal with a dog that chases your livestock:
Shoot
Shovel
Shut up.
I hope that works within your context.

Blogger Nate March 13, 2019 2:20 PM  

am I jew. no. I'm an unreconstructed confederate that has a great deal less patience than I would otherwise for amazingly stupid comments. Calling stupid people stupid doesn't get old any more than calling a nail a nail.

Were it up to me.. we would simply scan through the comments a delete every single comment that even remotely hinted of dumb on the surface.

Blogger Francis Parker Yockey March 13, 2019 2:22 PM  

19 year old girl...
Chicago...
Lawyer...

I'm guessing the demographic is not what you think it is.


Yeah, I was referring to Huffman, no the Chicago 19 year old. Shoulda made that clearer.

The correct tactic where a lawyer call will not work is to stakeout the suspect and jump them when they're not in a position to resist.

See also David Koresh/ Waco.

@118
A total of something like people were indicted for this scheme. Did any of the others get the pre-dawn SWAT raid treatment?

What made Huffman uniquely dangerous -- her long history of violent crime, or her combat experience as a veteran of SEAL Team 6?

Or was this purely an optics decision?

Blogger One Deplorable DT March 13, 2019 2:28 PM  

@121 - What made Huffman uniquely dangerous -- her long history of violent crime, or her combat experience as a veteran of SEAL Team 6?

The cops saw Captain Marvel this weekend and realized just how dangerous a strong, empowered actress can be.

Blogger Noah B The Savage Gardener March 13, 2019 2:32 PM  

SWAT raids are mostly a coercion tactic performed for the benefit of prosecutors.

Blogger James Dixon March 13, 2019 2:35 PM  

> I can't afford to spend $20K armoring a car for grocery store trips.

If you live in any major metropolitan area, the grocery stores will deliver to you for a reasonable fee.

If you don't, you probably have nothing to worry about.

Blogger Dave March 13, 2019 2:37 PM  

It wasn't SWAT. Per sources, it was 7 FBI agents with guns drawn at 6am in the Hollywood Hills.

Blogger Harris March 13, 2019 2:40 PM  

I work for a University. You have no idea how dependent they've become on Chinese money.

Blogger Gianna March 13, 2019 2:48 PM  

This is a controlled burn especially on the part of the CollegeBoard (SAT examiners).

Not only do they make about $47.50-$65.50 on each SAT taken but now to go to a good school you should take a minimum of 2 Subject Tests - 26.00 to register and 18.00 for each test taken (they give a booklet with all the subject tests in so if you want you can stay and take another test or two). Because of they are also graded on curves you should also take those twice. The system has to be gamed in order to do well. A student should take the subject test in April which is early and when most of the better students take it and then again in May when more students take it and therefore the curve is lower. Also you pay $12.00 to the CollegeBoard for every test sent to every school. People in my area no longer apply to just 9 schools now it is 15-20 schools.
Asians study for the SAT and the PSAT.
Regarding Loughlin's daughter - a 1420 for a private school student is just ok - I don't believe it helped her get in. USC knows that these SAT scores are next to meaningless because so many students prep for them years in advance and as Vox has repeatedly said they are much easier than they use to be. It was mostly likely her big Instagram business.
Also you are not going to get any state school scholarships with 1420. Private schools would probably give a bit but remember they cost 50-70k a year now. University of Chicago is 75k.
What is outrageous for Lori Loughlin is that she most likely paid +50k/year for her daughter's private high school on top of all this.

Blogger 1st Earl Hardwicke March 13, 2019 2:55 PM  

Harris wrote:I work for a University. You have no idea how dependent they've become on Chinese money.



When I was at Boston College/High School(UK) out of a mathematics class of about 30. 4 were English, including me, the rest Chinese.

Blogger weka March 13, 2019 3:03 PM  

Tradtuinally doe women. Sandburat sufficed for men.

Blogger Matamoros March 13, 2019 3:20 PM  

@9 Nate

Please use whatever god you worship for profanity and not the Lord of Creation.

Blogger Francis Parker Yockey March 13, 2019 3:21 PM  

@121
Should be:
"I was referring to Huffman, not the Chicago 19 year old."
And
"A total of something like 50 people were indicted for this scheme"

@90
Also last week a cop in Rockford, probably just acting as perimeter security, was shot and killed by a fleeing felon the US Marshals were trying to arrest (on warrants involving non-violent crimes)

This is a little misleading.
Floyd E. Brown's overall criminal history is perhaps more relevant than the current active warrants.

Floyd Brown: 5 Fast Facts

Felony vehicle invasion, domestic battery (multiple), endangering the life of a child, aggravated battery of a peace officer, home invasion (pled down to unlawful restraint), etc.

The warrants may have been "non-violent." Brown, even prior to shooting the cop, most certainly was not.

Sangamon County Court records show 142 entries for Brown (though that includes traffic violations).

Floyd Brown criminal record

Sangamon County Court records

Also, with respect to One Deplorable DT's point about the risks of going after a holed-up suspect rather than ambushing him when he's out and about:

- Looks like Brown spotted the team closing in, shot the cop from a 3rd floor window with a rifle, jumped out the window, and fled.

- The 19 year old in Chicago shot the cop through a door.

Blogger James Dixon March 13, 2019 3:28 PM  

> Please use whatever god you worship for profanity and not the Lord of Creation.

There was nothing profane in Nate's post.

Blogger Stg58/Animal Mother March 13, 2019 3:33 PM  

HA HA

NATE'S A DIRTY JOOOOOO

TURRIBLE

Blogger Noah B The Savage Gardener March 13, 2019 3:37 PM  

Nate Glockenstein has a nice ring to it.

Blogger James Dixon March 13, 2019 3:45 PM  

> Nate Glockenstein has a nice ring to it.

Now that's going to leave a mark. :)

Blogger Stg58/Animal Mother March 13, 2019 3:47 PM  

And his pretty wife Matza

Blogger Ominous Cowherd March 13, 2019 3:50 PM  

Weka, are you drunkposting? Those are some concentrated typos.

Blogger Johnny March 13, 2019 4:16 PM  

Nate wrote:Calling stupid people stupid doesn't get old any more than calling a nail a nail.

Without taking any side in the argument, I thought the stupid comment was unjustified and unfortunate.

Blogger Haxo Angmark March 13, 2019 4:50 PM  

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Blogger Robert What? March 13, 2019 4:50 PM  

Most college degrees that do not lead to an actual profession (e.g., engineering, accounting, nursing, etc) are utterly worthless as education even if from Yale or Harvard. The only thing that is of value is the name Harvard or Yale on the piece of paper. I can understand parents doing anything to get that piece of paper for their kids.

Blogger Arthur Isaac March 13, 2019 4:52 PM  

Loughlin wanted to provide her daughters with the "college experience" no she'll get to have the "prison experience".

I also wonder about the likelihood of these folks flipping on Hollyweird as the face time in the 5-10 range.

Blogger KPKinSunnyPhiladelphia March 13, 2019 5:31 PM  

Francis Parker Yockey wrote:@50

Charles Kushner is not a Harvard alum. No legacy factor. Jared (and Joshua) got into Harvard on a straight-up bribe -- plus some pressure applied via Frank Lautenberg and Ted Kennedy.



Didn't know that...thanks for clearing that up. In my own experience, the kids I know from my kids' HS had parents -- rich parents -- who went to those schools.

But, in reality, what's the difference? People use money and connections to get advantages. I'm shocked,...SHOCKED that that happened!!

You know the old expression in athletics -- "If you aren't trying to get away with it, you aren't trying?" (I bet Vox has has tried to disguise his fouls on the soccer pitch, or grabbed a hunk of flesh if a mark got past him).

Anyway, if you aren't trying to leverage your networks in life, you're not trying.

Note, too, that Jared got a dual JD and MBA from NYU. Even if his grades there where "meh," at that place you (1) have to have more than a few active neurons and (2) you gotta do the work. I was going to do the dual degree thing at a school of "somewhat" better quality than NYU, but though better of it. I just went for one of the two.

Blogger kurt9 March 13, 2019 5:52 PM  

An Ivy League degree gets you two things. First, its a credential that tells people you graduated from an Ivy League university. Second, it gets you a "rolodex" of contacts that non-Ivy Leaguers have little chance of having.

Blogger kurt9 March 13, 2019 5:53 PM  

And, yes, graduating from USC's school of cinematic arts really does give one a leg up in the entertainment industry.

Blogger Hammerli280 March 13, 2019 6:05 PM  

@143 kurt9 is right. You don't go to an Ivy League school for an education. There are better educations to be had elsewhere for a much lower price. You go to an Ivy League school to network...and for snob appeal.

Blogger Snidely Whiplash March 13, 2019 7:08 PM  

Matamoros wrote:@9 Nate

Please use whatever god you worship for profanity and not the Lord of Creation.

My aren't you special.
Watch your 6.

Blogger Francis Parker Yockey March 13, 2019 8:54 PM  

Note, too, that Jared got a dual JD and MBA from NYU.

What will become of Jared Kushner

Before Jared entered graduate school, Charles leased three floors of the Puck Building—a historic NoLita structure he’d bought in 1999—to NYU at sub-market rates.

Probably just a coincidence.

Blogger Ariadne Umbrella March 13, 2019 8:54 PM  

The networking thing is so infuriating. Everyone has a cellphone. Everyone has relatives. Everyone has acquaintances. Presuming said people are not raging drug addicts, drunks or plain violent idiots, then everyone can network. I ask the blue collar plumber who I can call to repair drywall after the plumbing leak is fixed, and the guy never has an answer. It's not like Ivy League guys have some weird networking tricks that they aren't sharing: they network, everyone else does not.

And, if you're from a networking culture, and you go to a non-networking culture, the non-networkers have no idea how to behave. If you ask for a job referral, and someone makes it, then show up for the ^&*())*&*^ interview. You don't have to understand the motives of the refer-er. There's a solid chance they are doing it for karmic benefits that have nothing to do with you.

I've done it a few times, having watched people do it in their jobs. One guy literally could not figure out why I would give a referral to his 'dream job.' A: it was easy B. I was bored and C. I happened to know the guy he wanted to work for and D. He was qualified. He'd just gotten a degree, it was a low-level job he was asking for, not the glamorous career vision sold to him- and he couldn't figure out why I'd do it, like I wasn't his girlfriend, or something. It was something to do- three sentences, and it solved a problem for the high-level guy- finding starting guys who desperately loved the company wasn't easy: everyone says they love the company in interviews- who says it in private?

Second: two acquaintances: one with a rare set of skills, one with a job opening for said rare set of skills. Skills person didn't believe her luck, that I'd just happen to know the person she wanted to meet, was I close friends, blah blah blah. No, as a matter of fact, I'm not close friends, but close enough that when person was talking about her day, talking about someone leaving and needing X skills, I'd said 'Hey, call this person." They set up an interview, and skill person flaked b/c she couldn't believe her luck. Believe it. Sometimes weird rainbow good things happen.

It's unbelievably annoying. Just interview. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. Collect biz cards, try to help. It's not rocket science.

I'm thrilled that the current septic system guy could give me his card for his new company, and the card for the next major repair. I'll tell the neighbors what a great job he did, just for that.

Blogger Aurelius Gomez March 13, 2019 9:13 PM  

Nate you do come off as simple quite often but I blame the whiskey.

Blogger blue collar dave March 13, 2019 9:44 PM  

KPKinSunnyPhiladelphiaMarch 13, 2019 5:31 PM

Anyway, if you aren't trying to leverage your networks in life, you're not trying.

Is it just me or is it becoming more (((obvious)))?

Blogger Chief_Tuscaloosa March 13, 2019 10:06 PM  

Key point of the scandal for me: they paid with CHECKS! Why would anyone with half a brain write a CHECK for these clearly fraudulent acts? Why, for the TAX BREAK, of course! THIS WAS A CHARITABLE ORGANIZATION!
Can't help wondering if the FBI would consider this such a criminal enterprise if there hadn't been tax evasion involved.

Blogger James Dixon March 13, 2019 10:25 PM  

> It's not like Ivy League guys have some weird networking tricks that they aren't sharing: they network, everyone else does not.

BS. Everyone networks. It's just that most people's networks don't include company CEO's and highly placed government employees.

Blogger minority of one March 13, 2019 11:08 PM  

Boomers at it again? Shocked!!!?

Blogger minority of one March 13, 2019 11:08 PM  

Boomers at it again? Shocked!!!?

Blogger Ariadne Umbrella March 14, 2019 12:20 AM  

#153. Networking is how some people become CEOs and highly placed government employees. Networking can also render the ill-made decisions of other networks void and meaningless. It doesn't matter if you aren't a salesperson for a Fortune 500 company making $50K if you're the salesperson of a regional firm making $50k.

Blogger Da Man March 14, 2019 4:56 AM  

minority of one wrote:Boomers at it again? Shocked!!!? Nope, they are Gen X

Blogger God Emperor Memes March 14, 2019 6:20 AM  

Asians, apparently.

Blogger James Dixon March 14, 2019 9:07 AM  

> Networking is how some people become CEOs and highly placed government employees.

Really? You don't say? And here I thought talent and hard work were supposed to have something to do with it. I guess not.

Blogger sammibandit March 14, 2019 9:40 AM  

If these actresses used their network to get their kids acting jobs I doubt people would mind, let alone make it into a lede for an exposé. No one likes people pretending they're above their station.

Blogger KPKinSunnyPhiladelphia March 14, 2019 10:36 AM  

blue collar dave wrote:KPKinSunnyPhiladelphiaMarch 13, 2019 5:31 PM

Anyway, if you aren't trying to leverage your networks in life, you're not trying.

Is it just me or is it becoming more (((obvious)))?


Sorry, lapsed Presbyterian.

Maybe you need to look under your bed. You may not be interested in the dust bunnies, but the dust bunnies are interested in YOU.

Blogger S1AL March 14, 2019 10:47 AM  

Today's thread summation:

Everyone is a Jew.

Blogger Balam March 14, 2019 11:48 AM  

Ariadne Umbrella wrote:And, if you're from a networking culture, and you go to a non-networking culture, the non-networkers have no idea how to behave.

The clash of the high-trust vs the low-trust society happening again. In a high trust white (pre-irish I guess) homogeneous culture everyone was like your own son. Just walk on in, you're hired! We'll find something for you to do. In the racially segregated AND low trust culture environment your tribe matters more - Jews refer Jews and Indians bring in Indian cousins. If you can't (((network))) feel free to try and bribe them, the book 'Free Trade Doesn't Work' outlines that bribery is plain, expected and mundane for practically every country on earth except for the US. Haha, or it used it be that way before the Boomer/Open Borders era. The bribery '''scandal''' is just the US reverting to the mean, the average, behavior of the world just as its demographic makeup is getting closer to the world average

Blogger Michael March 14, 2019 4:51 PM  

Not to put any of these schools down, but the scale of the dishonesty and grasping aspiration for a particular college acceptance is just nuts. It profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world... but for USC?

Blogger Ariadne Umbrella March 14, 2019 5:14 PM  

#162. I'm watching the Sopranos for first time. The only irritating thing about it is that each of the characters is really competent at a complex, normal job. Their state would be so wealthy if they weren't acting like peasanty criminals from the old country.

I am not a conventional referral person- so I can see disbelieving that I'd have a decent referral- except I'm not saying "call this scribbled number." I was handing over business cards of the people. I mean, the world is random in some ways- new mothers in playgroups all look scruffy. Some go back to work, but they'll still talk to playgroup moms if they run into them at the grocery store. The people who didn't follow through couldn't grab the shiny, and then figure out the motivations later. They relied on "I worked on this, myself. It can't be true..." You have no idea how annoying it was. "Hi, I'm a friend to complete flakes...."

I mean, my dad worked with a woman who was tired of racism in the south- she was a very well-educated, professional black woman. She was elegant, she was cultured, and she was in love with European culture. And she wanted to marry an equal. So she'd tell people that- and one of them fished out a biz contact card for some real estate something or other- a warehouse, a fishing boat- something backwoods and kind of blue collar- and said "He's your guy." And she trusted this person enough to call and go to dinner- she'd gone to dinner with all her recommended, she was lovely- everyone liked her- and she ended up going to dinner with an actual aristocrat with an actual castle full of genuine art. They're married now. She didn't go "scrap metal warehouse....backwoods state....who do you think you are??" to the recommender. She was a trooper, and nice, and ended up marrying like Cinderella.

Blogger Ariadne Umbrella March 14, 2019 5:15 PM  

USC is the Harvard of film work.

Blogger KPKinSunnyPhiladelphia March 14, 2019 8:05 PM  

S1AL wrote:Today's thread summation:

Everyone is a Jew.


And here I thought every commenter on this blog was a white supremacist. Silly me.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts