ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2019 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Friday, September 20, 2019

Following our lead

Maybe, just maybe, we knew what we were doing by setting up Unauthorized the way we did:
At the same time the government launched their probe, the top publishers in the country had gathered for an emergency summit in New York. Advertising dollars from 2015-2018 were slowly declining. 2019 trends were showing an alarming trend with programmatic revenues in freefall industry-wide. Ad revenue across publishing was down over 50%??? There’s gotta be an explanation for this?

Here’s the sticky-fingered culprit. Facebook has decided to sweep the leg on the entire industry, it’s actually happening now. But why now? The reason why is shockingly simple.

Google and Facebook are ad-supported businesses. They want to get you on their pages and keep you there at all costs. This puts them at odds with the publishing community, much of which is ad supported. Google. Facebook, and Amazon control 70% of all online ad dollars spent. The rest of the publishing world fights for scraps of the other 30%. But Google and Facebook got together last year and colluded with each other, asking a simple, shocking question, a question that prompted the anti-trust probe:

“What if we took it all?”

And these clowns actually agreed they should fuckin’ do it. Holy smokes.

The endgame is underway. Last Thursday, Rooster Teeth, a company I admire and have tremendous respect for laid off 50 people. To avoid the same fate publishers have absolutely littered their website with ads; Pop-ups, Auto-sound ads, the kitchen sink, to stay afloat. We haven’t followed suit. Frankly I’d rather die.

Fewer publishers, and the ones left must worship a new god. Sound familiar?

By taking it all, the Duopoly actually wins twice. Not only do they kill publishers and take their money, what’s left of the publishers who hang on will have no choice but to attach their skeleton crew to Facebook and Google for life support. Facebook will actually have the balls to play savior by creating, say, a ‘preferred publisher program’, anointing a handful of publishers as partners who will get traffic from FB and just enough ad revenue to survive. Then Facebook’s algorithm will only show you articles from those publishers that their algorithm thinks you want to see. Your entire internet consumption, as well as how you think and feel, will be dictated to you.

theCHIVE doesn’t have that option nor would we want it. Logically, if the ad-supported model is dying, we must diversify our business model. We must control our own destiny and diversify away from ad-supported to subscription model.
If you've noticed, we don't advertise any of our projects anywhere. Arkhaven, Castalia, Infogalactic, VFM and Unauthorized all refuse to pay-to-play on Amazon, Facebook, Google, or anywhere else. We would rather rely upon our core supporters, focus upon serving them, and gradually grow that strong foundation than try to catch a big wave on Amazon or wherever.

Why? Because the wave belongs to the wave maker and is entirely under its control! We've seen, repeatedly, that even million-selling Amazon authors have ZERO support outside of Amazon. Their success is entirely in the hands of potentially hostile parties, which is why we'd rather have a small, but very reliable set of supporters than a large, but entirely unreliable one.

Build your own platform. Build your own market. TheCHIVE has belatedly realized what we knew all along: if people aren't willing to pay for it directly, it isn't worth doing in the first place. And if you haven't subscribed to Unauthorized yet, you can do so here. And speaking of UATV, there is a new Chuck Dixon video on the upcoming Birds of Prey movie up now.  Yes, believe it or not, he wrote that comic too....

Labels: ,

80 Comments:

Blogger Shimshon September 20, 2019 8:21 AM  

In the old days...

Amazon to merchants: pay up some protection money for access to our platform.

Today...

Merchants to Amazon: Hey, buddy, why are these ads showing up above my products in search results? What's the protection money for?

Amazon: I think you should consider an advertising campaign, which we can suggest, to help you boost rankings. It's a deal you can't refuse. Oh, and here's a content warning on your for good measure.

Blogger LR27 September 20, 2019 8:25 AM  

“if people aren't willing to pay for it directly, it isn't worth doing in the first place”

Well, I suppose news can’t be worth too much then.

Blogger dc.sunsets September 20, 2019 8:27 AM  

Entertainment, news, opinion, organization, etc. all predated the Internet...and predated ad-driven revenue models. I never cease to be amazed at the present-mindedness of people who are so immersed in The Matrix that they cannot even imagine life without surf-to-content sloth.

Free content is worth LESS than what you pay $ for it, because by definition it is absorbing the finite moments of your LIFE. The Internet as a commercial/entertainment entity is a vast heat sink, and the "heat" is your very existence. In an Age Saturated by Vice, the greatest vice of all is whiling away the minutes of one's life endlessly squeezing the last penny off a frivolous purchase, engaging in all-heat/no-light flame wars in comments sections and feeding one's innate fears and narcissism with a bottomless well of bias confirmation...all courtesy of the World Wide Web.

FB is just one head of a vast hydra. As while driving you can lose track of time and not recall "the last 5 miles," sitting in front of a computer screen is directed by the low-energy/always-on housekeeping system of the brain, and it doesn't have any time sense. How many men and women get to the end of the week and wonder what on Earth kept them sitting mindlessly before the screen, reading or hammering keys, the outcome of which was ZERO?

If there's a crisis in Science, then what of the crisis of The Matrix, where exists full-throated support for every self-destructive urge, every mutually-contradictory viewpoint, and a vast treasure of outright falsehood?

Truly do men go mad in herds, and the WWW is an infinite cattle pen.

Blogger CarpeOro September 20, 2019 8:31 AM  

The value given by your associates' efforts has been considerable. That is why I and others continue to come back, chip in when able, and vote with our money. Proud to be yet another vile, faceless minion. Number 105.

Blogger wreckage September 20, 2019 8:32 AM  

I've noticed a few Amazon - dominated authors seem to be looking to cross-network their way out of that hole. I'm guessing though that if you're a KU author, it's over, you're there forever.

Blogger Newscaper312 September 20, 2019 8:33 AM  

Vox, any update on an Unauthorized.tv app for Fire TV?

Blogger VD September 20, 2019 8:37 AM  

I know Android, Roku, and Apple are already submitted. I'll have to ask what is up with Fire.

Blogger RandyB September 20, 2019 8:37 AM  

When Dixon wrote Birds of Prey, it was good. Because Dixon is that good.

Blogger Fuzzums Wuzzums September 20, 2019 8:46 AM  

A monopoly?? But how can this be? We all know the Free-Market does not create monopolies, so it is written.

Blogger Jack Ward September 20, 2019 8:51 AM  

All the "Clutter" on too many sites, especially the UK news sites so crap up the experience that, regardless the speed of your connection, its become too much of a chore to fight through it all to get anything worth reading. Clickbait everywhere. I have 'censored' many sites now, rarely going to those if ever. This site has none of that stuff, plus, it's got mostly intelligent commentators worth reading. Thus, a daily stop. Usually, multiple times a day. And, some support money coming automatically out of credit card each month. And, happy to pay it!

Blogger Silent Draco September 20, 2019 8:57 AM  

I buy from Castalia, Arkhaven, and subscribe to Unauthorized because I get high quality products that I want or need, when desired, and that I enjoy. Sounds like a lot of others made the same value judgement. This is an aspect of Logos, being true to the given word.

Subscription is not a lost art, but something that went into cargo cult mode for many. They forgot what people subscribed for. When you ignore your customers' needs, wants, and outlook, you lose customers. Paid subscribers leaving hits the balance sheet immediately. "Free" ads only slows the bleeding, and shifts attention.

Blogger Lucas September 20, 2019 8:57 AM  

"Why? Because the wave belongs to the wave maker and is entirely under its control! We've seen, repeatedly, that even million-selling Amazon authors have ZERO support outside of Amazon. Their success is entirely in the hands of potentially hostile parties, which is why we'd rather have a small, but very reliable set of supporters than a large, but entirely unreliable one.


Why is it that somethiing so simple is hard to accept by mainstream conservatives?

Blogger Brett baker September 20, 2019 8:58 AM  

Wonder how long before emperor Zuck deploys the legions against his few remaining competitors?

Blogger BriarRabbit September 20, 2019 9:16 AM  

If you're interested enough to read the comments, go sign up for Unauthorized! Now. Really. GO NOW!

Support what you enjoy. And FFS, delete your Facebook. You're not a soy-boy.

Blogger TheMaleRei September 20, 2019 9:27 AM  

@9. Yep. One of the many reasons why libertarianism is dead to me. Along with, of course, "muh private company" and "just start your own bank, payment processors, Google, etc"...

Blogger Longtime Lurker September 20, 2019 9:41 AM  

Google, Facebook, and Amazon are culling the publishing industry, thus creating room for Arkhaven and others to grow. Not that GooBookAzon intended this any more than the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs intended that mammals should thrive, but the unintended consequences of predatory corporate behavior can sometimes be positive.

Blogger CF Neal September 20, 2019 9:44 AM  

@3.

I'll be preaching & teaching this theme Sunday.

Thx.

Blogger dc.sunsets September 20, 2019 9:52 AM  

@17 CF Neal, I hope the irony of my comment is not deafening. "Pain" of withdrawal is not limited to pharmaceutical drugs or other chemical substances, but I've cut my own folly by 98%. Now to eradicate the last 2.

Blogger Gallant September 20, 2019 9:57 AM  

This nascent media empire has been an educational look at perseverance in an environment where many would see the choices as being between outright despair, and submission to social-justice platforms. The key as stated in the article is the incremental taking of more space. . . just continue this and can go anywhere.

I know many are involved in this but a challenge they could face is becoming impervious to primary players retracting their involvement over time. As someone who came to this space via VD, I see a lot through that lens - VD's brand/audience and capabilities. The organization benefits from the presence of figures public and behind the scenes; but is it being built to withstand the withdrawal of any of these?

Blogger Raker_T September 20, 2019 9:57 AM  

" we don't advertise any of our projects anywhere" Yeah, but it helps to have a totally kick ass blog. It may seem odd to heap the praise on the blog and commenters; but I haven't watched TV in 30 years, and might watch a couple movies a year, when I make myself take the time. This blog is like crack to an addict.
@3 speaking of great comments, yours is such. I'm wondering about people who think they're doing activism because "Trump was memed into office". I'm having doubts about that, and I've seen some interesting account manipulation on SM. Sometimes the whole thing looks fishy, like a deliberate deception, hence, I'm becoming interested in alternate communication.
Thanks to all, I don't say it, but you guys rock.

Blogger Out of Nod September 20, 2019 10:02 AM  

One thing I've noticed about companies, churches, and other organizations is that there is a refusal to let the organization die when its product/service needs no further improvement or is no longer necessary. Yesterdays Darkstream talked about how nothing works anymore and one reason presented was because of the dumming down of society...I would add that another reason is that our society sees "the end" of something as being a failure. People don't know when to quit when they are ahead.

The reault of this is that these businesses continue to fight for a marketshare where that share no longer exists instead of adapting to the market environment or exitting the market entirely. When they eventually fail, it is when they have no other choice and by then the enterprise has faded into obscurity, its employees are left with little recourse, and the product is of such poor quality that there is no way that trust with the customer can be re-established.

Blogger FALPhil September 20, 2019 10:11 AM  

@17 Will there be a podcast?

Blogger Dave Dave September 20, 2019 10:14 AM  

It's a pyramid scheme. Anyone who bought into that shot deserves to get burned by it.

Blogger Gregory the Great September 20, 2019 10:18 AM  

There is nothing nicer for a relatively small business than having a unique product that a loyal group of people really want.

Blogger xevious2030 September 20, 2019 10:19 AM  

I forgot where I heard it, but what I heard was someone musing, quite seriously, that Facebook, Google, Microsoft, want to become the internet. That you don’t go to a webpage, but that users launch Facebook, and go to Facebook pages to find content, within Facebook pages. No more going to www.whatever.com, .tv, .biz, or what have you. To remove the free internet, and become sole publishers with control of all content. Which of course is what would be expected in the attitudes of the Left. Which would mean having policy and law makers codify such, punishable by administration and court. To do that would also imply telecom and like transmission and connection restrictions to prevent additional networks to the one. Monopoly would need to be in the works, and talk of protecting the big US IT infrastructure from the likes of China and Russia, a subject brought up recently on the blog, would be the concept introduction phase of such a thing, whereby the “it’ll never happen” initial response is expected, followed by acclimatization to a hoped for eventual “don’t be such a hater and extremist,” that has shown to be the practice. They always burn the books, and then the people (extracted from their projection).

Blogger VD September 20, 2019 10:24 AM  

Why is it that somethiing so simple is hard to accept by mainstream conservatives?

They are penny-pinchers. Offer something to them free and they'll fall for it every time. Look at how the conservatives in comics - such as they are - have been talking about how they need an alternative to the mainstream system.

Now we have successfully established one, but are they using it? For the most part, no.

Blogger David Ray Milton September 20, 2019 10:27 AM  

@dc.sunsets

At my college, a speaker gave a campus-wide presentation that is tangentially related to your point. He started off his speech in our auditorium by having us watch for about five minutes a family sitting on a couch on the stage who were watching television. After we began to take in what a mind-numbing waste of time watching TV was, the speaker began to talk about how entertainment consumption can destroy lives and families. And if I remember correctly, he then went on to make the point that a TV show could never be made about the average person’s life, because TV shows never show people doing what the average person does with their spare time, which is sit around and watch television.

You’re correct, entertainment and internet addiction can be slave masters, and for the most part, they are designed to be. And yet at the same time, if used correctly, they can also be great tools for intellectual liberation. However, the latter requires discipline and a discerning mind.

Blogger Jeff aka Orville September 20, 2019 10:28 AM  

VD I'd appreciate your thoughts on the following. If I, as a budding indie writer, wanted (needed) to build my own platform, what would that platform look like?

All I'm seeing and hearing is the standard "Amazon" way i.e. series in quick releases, a free short-story to build up a mailing list, adword campaigns that,from what I can see, range from total crapshoots to a fast moving target that sucks up all your time trying to get it right only to shift again.

Thanks!



Blogger D E K September 20, 2019 10:31 AM  

I've listened carefully to Vox's techno war darkstream. I've been a little bit worried about the health issue related to 5G, but at the same time I'm now curious how the Chinese will crush Silicon Valley and how creators on YT will profit.

Blogger Dave Dave September 20, 2019 10:31 AM  

The conservatives were mad about politics in comics and advocated for the removal of everything political, including "their own side". If they were the good guys, they wouldn't want their own politics removed. Comics have always been political. The problem was never politics, but that our enemies can't create anything. Alternatives have been made to social media, but (((conservatives))) don't use it.

Blogger Jacked Huwhite Boy September 20, 2019 10:44 AM  

Slightly OT, I've been thinking of subscribing to the Medieval history 101 series, but can't tell if there's an option to subscribe for her in particular like there is for Owen?

Blogger Wayne September 20, 2019 10:51 AM  

As a subscriber to UATV, I am interested to know if there will be a TV streaming plugin in the future?

Blogger wahsatchmo September 20, 2019 11:02 AM  

Boy, those new Indiegogo terms sure have a lot of parameters regarding arbitration claims, even going so far as to specify that arbitration claims may be consolidated.

It's as if they anticipate people of say...a common ilk...might effectively work together despite being individuals.

Forward thinking on their part.

Blogger Beardy Bear September 20, 2019 11:24 AM  

We are the crusaders, and the platforms are the Byzantines. They say they support you, but if you keep relying on them, you'll find them making deals to flood your homelands with your enemies. They say they'll supply you with means, then starve you on arrival. Deus vult. Their disgrace will be our triumph!

Blogger dc.sunsets September 20, 2019 11:29 AM  

@27 David Ray Milton, I take a different view.

We are biological creatures whose behavior is a product of biological processes. We have only just begun to grasp the actual processes (plural) of our cognition, but the Ancients understood all that was needed.

All things people find superficially pleasurable have roots in survival and propagation. Pleasure is a cognitive subroutine that causes us to act in both useful and not-useful ways. Sexual pleasure yields both reproduction and the complex behaviors of pair-bonding. Enjoyment of eating yields the obvious, as does communication with others. But all of these activities we find engaging are easily hijacked to our detriment. The trick is one of discernment, of context. Ancient Stoic philosophers recognized that taming one's "passions" was essential to the pursuit of wisdom and living a virtuous life. It was well-recognized 2000 years ago that indulging in unlimited, superficial pleasures was a fast track to personal ruin and an early death. Contrast that to today's Popular Belief is that enabling others' single-minded pursuit of such "passions" is (1) a perfectly valid commercial activity and (2) an exercise of Personal Fulfillment and Self-Actualization.

I believe the "antidote" to the drug that is Modernity is pursuit of conscious control over thought. We are now a society of addicts, people whose impulsive minds control nearly all actions. I know this because the TV and then the Internet (or their synthesis, Youtube) pull our eyes like Vicodin pulls an opioid addict...with the same result: Escape-from-Reality. Learning to see the precursors to such adolescent impulsivity and consciously turning to a deliberative, reason-based cognitive channel is central to controlling thought and therefore action.

I don't know if the Modern World is too complex for most people to navigate, or if they're so bored with existence that Lands of Fantasy are more attractive, either way I see people enthusiastically plugging their minds into "something else" (The Matrix) as their physical bodies remain in a monochrome world of worry and fear.

All of this exists because "everything" is synthesized to hijack the pleasure-pathways of our (impulsive) minds. It's like a full-immersion virtual-reality Disney Cartoon, only people don't notice it's artwork. To the mind, it's real.

There may be intellectual liberation buried in a few places on the 'Net, but for the most part it is a medium that lets people already on a self-destructive path rationalize doubling their velocity toward Oblivion.

I seriously doubt that "The Answer" (or any good answers) are found in a medium that is hundreds of millions of people in an amphitheater, each shouting at the top of his or her lungs or staring in a daze at the Jumbo-tron.

Job #1 is to return to knowing that just because we CAN do something that promises pleasure doesn't mean we SHOULD do it. What an inversion of Pop Culture, huh? I think the answer might be where Stoicism an Christianity overlap, but that's my opinion.

Blogger IAMSpartacus0000 September 20, 2019 11:32 AM  

@wayne,

Vox and co said some time back it is on the board. HOWEVER those plugins are also depending on the platform. Kindle Fire, Roku, Apple, ChromeCast are all someone else platform.

Plex would be cool as they seem the most open to anyone making a plugin, but honestly that is even someone else you have to contend with.

Blogger Damelon Brinn September 20, 2019 11:32 AM  

I forgot where I heard it, but what I heard was someone musing, quite seriously, that Facebook, Google, Microsoft, want to become the internet. That you don’t go to a webpage, but that users launch Facebook, and go to Facebook pages to find content, within Facebook pages.

Yes, that's very much been the goal. There were "portals" all the way back to the late 90s: sites that encouraged you to use them as your home page and find everything on the Internet through them. But they didn't have the resources to actually duplicate it all, so they could only index things and let you click through to the sites themselves for the full content. But now, storage is so cheap and data retrieval so fast that they pretty much can duplicate it all, or at least enough of it that their users will feel like it's all there.

It's a bit like how it was with AOL/Compuserve/etc., except that with those companies it was honest. You paid a monthly fee to use their proprietary systems, and when they added gateways to the Internet, that was understood to be a separate thing. Hooking into the Internet *added* to what they were offering, instead of taking something that was already available to everyone for free or near-free and restricting it.

Blogger Ray - SoCal September 20, 2019 11:38 AM  

It’s terrifying what the Internet Giants have done to silence Milo.

And how Amazon deplatformed some Sci Fi Authors, with no recourse outside of courts. At least one is in court. Going from $100k a month, to zero. And the court system takes time...

I’m surprised that Castilia and Arkhaven have not been deplatformed by Amazon.

Blogger dienw September 20, 2019 11:44 AM  

@34
We are the crusaders, and the platforms are the Byzantines.
Not a good analogy: the Doges of Venice sent the Norman crusaders (as payment on their debt} against Byzantium because the latter was a competitor to its oligarchical commercial empire. The crusaders were marauders who aided in the destruction of Eastern Roman Empire.

Blogger NewTunesForOldLogos September 20, 2019 11:48 AM  

Most of what CNN does actually has negative value. Why would I pay someone to lie to me and about me? Same goes for most, and the rest is just reprinted AP articles.

Blogger Steve Samson September 20, 2019 11:53 AM  

Kindle Fire, Roku, Apple, ChromeCast are all someone else platform.

What about kodi? You can plug anything you like into it and it's cross platform and open source. You could probably even fork it into a UATV player for fire sticks and so on and sideload it, rather than rely on app stores.

Blogger NewTunesForOldLogos September 20, 2019 12:00 PM  

Projection. Conservatives wouldn’t intentionally tilt the playing field against their enemies, and they project that value upon those enemies, like Amazon.

Blogger Crew September 20, 2019 12:05 PM  

Can't we just trust our benevolent grabbler overlords to do what is in our best interests?

Asking for a friend.

Blogger TheMaleRei September 20, 2019 12:08 PM  

@42

This. Their enemies are just like them, ultimately nice and respectable fellows who want Western Civilization to continue, etc etc...

Or they really are controlled opposition and / or just don't care and don't mind heading into the camps when the time comes.

Blogger NewTunesForOldLogos September 20, 2019 12:12 PM  


VDSeptember 20, 2019 8:37 AM
I know Android, Roku, and Apple are already submitted. I'll have to ask what is up with Fire.

Blogger dc.sunsets September 20, 2019 12:50 PM  

Cornering the market on web services (also known as Amazon Web Services) strikes me as the backbone monopolist's strategy. Amazon's facilitation of selling pre-landfilled consumer goods is a side-business compared to AWS, as I understand it.

It was Orwell, I believe, who popularized the notion that he who controls the past controls the future, and he who controls the present controls the past. I don't subscribe to this entirely, because no amount of monopoly over information can make water flow uphill. No scheme or conspiracy can last forever, and monopoly sows the seeds of its own demise as every monopoly obeys its own Iron Laws, leading to an eventual Singularity (where all resources go in, and nothing of value emerges.)

Blogger Out of Nod September 20, 2019 12:53 PM  

It's even worst then that...you present the alternative and you all of sudden become a shill. They are like the pharisees of old, signaling their virtue and complaining for a better world, yet they won't lift a finger or spend a dollar to support those who do the work.

Blogger Crush Limbraw September 20, 2019 12:57 PM  

Vox, your "Why is it that somethiing so simple is hard to accept by mainstream conservatives?

They are penny-pinchers. Offer something to them free and they'll fall for it every time."

It's worse than that. They're lazy!
My 4 years on the net has taught me that Conservatives keep fighting DaLastWar - and refuse to accept the reality of change. I keep getting the regular emails from friends about how stupid DaLeft is - something I myself believed - 30 years ago!
When I point out that Conservatives themselves are woefully out of date and culturally useless - they don't read what I write, won't even begin to check out my library which among other writers has a ton Vox Day stuff - and a week later I get the same kind of crap that triggered my reaction in the first place.
But then, upon further reflection - and as a comparison with current cultural behavior - that is the history of mankind. Specifically, I am currently and for the umpteenth time, going through the 4 Gospels. Finished Luke last night - I usually do a chapter a night so I don't rush my slow witted mind - and a repeating pattern emerges.
Jesus's greatest frustration clearly was the slow witted lack of faith among HIS followers!
WOW - nothing has changed - has it?

Blogger Chris Ritchie September 20, 2019 12:57 PM  

@3, @35 dc.sunsets:
Fantastic insights. Thought I was reading directly from Marshall McLuhan or Neil Postman. Your reference to escape from reality brought this lyric to my mind:

Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality
Open your eyes, look up to the skies and see

It isn't just the Internet. Or the television. Or the radio. Or the theatre, which drew the ire of Christian preachers in the late 1800's. Or video games. Or comic books - see how they were vilified by intellectual gate keepers when they first arrived.

Before any of that, fiction books were regarded as frivolous pursuits. Such is the case in our house. We don't have a television and severely restrict movie videos or shows. But my two oldest daughters are fully given over to their own escapism in the books they read. Largely Fantasy genre, some sci-fi in there. It consumes them to the point we have to step in and tell them they've had enough.

I think the answer is an overlap of Stoicism and Christianity, as you stated. But more simply, we must recognize vice. The problem is that people don't see the frittering away of their time on useless articles as a vice - a sin if you will. News of the Day - as Neil Postman would describe it - causes us care and anxiety over which we have no control. Ultimately, it all is linked back to the breakdown of contentment through Christian spirituality and the destruction of family community.

Blogger Azure Amaranthine September 20, 2019 1:23 PM  

"I believe the "antidote" to the drug that is Modernity is pursuit of conscious control over thought. We are now a society of addicts, people whose impulsive minds control nearly all actions."

Free will isn't at every action from moment to moment. It's temporally distributed to an extent. Past choices influence current actions even before we think of there being a choice. This is called habit. When the habit's self-reinforcement loop has gain, and the habit is detrimental, that is an addiction.

It is useful to take control of our actions in order to drive back the control of such demons, but if they are not replaced with the patterns of a better spirit, those being better habits, expect further and even worse things to take their place instead. The hole cannot be diminished to nothing, so it must be filled.

Blogger The Cooler September 20, 2019 2:05 PM  

The enemy of my enemy is my... Walmart?

https://www.marketscreener.com/SIMON-PROPERTY-GROUP-14452/news/A-Grassroots-Campaign-to-Take-Down-Amazon-Is-Funded-By-Amazon-s-Biggest-Rivals-29234927/

Blogger Solon September 20, 2019 2:54 PM  

I've just subscribed to Unauthorized.

I was hemming and hawing about it for a while, but the quality of the videos, the work you're doing for our culture, all of it deserves support, and I'm happy to have joined up, even in such a small manner.

Blogger dc.sunsets September 20, 2019 3:09 PM  

Chris Ritchie and Azure Amaranthine, I agree wholeheartedly.

How we fill the precious minutes of our time (or how we treat this Gift of Life) defines us. For me it is a constant battle to properly honor the gift(s) I'm given. Right now I spend time expressing a whole lot of gratitude to those who have made my life so rich. As for insights, truly "We see so far because we stand on the shoulders of giants."

Blogger David Ray Milton September 20, 2019 3:59 PM  

@DC.Sunsets

I agree with the essence of everything you are saying. However, we must note the irony of criticizing the internet while communicating via the internet. And yes, I am aware that what might be “good” for a few of us who are using such mediums constructively may be “evil” to the larger whole.

However, bringing this back to the larger discussion, I do not believe the answer to modernity’s ails are a return to primitivism, even if future civil unrest leads us down that path via the loss of current tech. I believe God has put a drive in us to create and push forward. For what reason? I’m not sure. But about 10 years I made an attempt to become more primitive to the degree that it was possible and I did not find the process to be inherently enlightening, although, I did learn lot about myself and the world in the process. There was also a philosopher who in the last hundred years, I believe, who was critic of modernity, who moved to Tahiti and lived with a local tribe who had a similar experience. “There’s no going back” I believe was his conclusion.

Rather, I would argue, we need not shun novel tech as much as submit it to Christ (Unauthorized.tv). Much like totalitarian China controls what its people see via the internet, we should move toward doing the same with our own nation. Guard what our children see and know. Plato’s Republic, you know, minus the equality bullshit. The tree of knowledge is always to tempting but we must guard ourselves against it. And while we regulate the quality of consumption, we can also find creative ways to regulate the quantity of consumption.

Blogger Beardy Bear September 20, 2019 4:03 PM  

Solon wrote:I've just subscribed to Unauthorized.

...and I'm happy to have joined up...


I am glad you're here. At some point, I hope people trust SDL enough to skip to this last step as their initial reaction.

Blogger Snidely Whiplash September 20, 2019 4:33 PM  

Any thought of offering your Castalia house content on Kobo? It's only like 15% of the market in the US (though much more in Canada), but it would be a step away from Amazon.

Blogger xevious2030 September 20, 2019 4:52 PM  

“Plato’s Republic, you know, minus the equality bullshit.”

Tangential. Socrates (Plato, Republic) was a convoluted hot mess. Satanic, hedonistic, pragmatic homo-pedo (married, made babies as a matter of practicality). To start, he origined “The Matrix” in the cave. Side note that The Matrix brothers have lived in a false world they have “come out” of, thinking themselves chicks. Puts the Matrix in a new spin, when heteros don’t project into it, and look at it through impersonator eyes (considering the brothers and their matrix of heteroism). Though it does have utility, when applied from the hetero take. Anyway, the Republic mixes in Secret King wish fulfilment, destruction of patriarchy (everyone in the group is daddy, mommy). And as an oddity, Socrates drinks the poison without it being poured into his mouth. He fancied himself as a jock (warrior), but hated the Alphas (popular rulers) and their undue success (stupid followers). Take a look at male SSH, Lambda, Sigma, Omega, it’s all swirled in (imperfectly, as a presentation, snippets). There are snippets of truth, but wrapped in a Satanism of logic, meaning built on false hidden premises and assumptions at odds with the Creator (God) and the relationship He designed for mankind. In other words, beginning with the lie, all else is somewhat logical. That he is celebrated by academia and instituted by the Left both testify to the Master from which they emanated.

Blogger Newscaper312 September 20, 2019 5:08 PM  

@25, xevious2030

btw, love the name, that was my favorite arcade game in the early 80s

re Facebook et al wanting to *be* 'the internet' to their users and keep them on the reservation -- that is pretty much what AOL did for quite a while when getting on the web from home was starting to become a thing and they scrambled to semi-morph into a national ISP. They had all this crap on the front end to keep you doing things though their interface, and hide the fact that the wide open internet was there through your browser.

Once the rubes wised up to that and first decent search engines were up and running - remember when Yahoo was good and AltaVista was the proto google? - they realized they could go with a generic ISP and save 50% over the AOL monthly rape. AOL finally could no longer show a paper profit by by plastering the country w free startup 3.5"s or cd-roms for new customers to make up for the ones leaving, despite their best efforts to make it hard for people to quit. Those sleazy efforts got a bunch of state AG's after them.

Interesting how history rhymes in an unpleasant way.

Blogger xevious2030 September 20, 2019 5:14 PM  

"btw, love the name, that was my favorite arcade game in the early 80s"

Thanks. Mine too, and more recently, after reading the storyline, had a certain relevance. As to rhymes, it's a tune we just can't seem to shake. No choice but to keep trying though.

Blogger Max September 20, 2019 5:44 PM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger RobertDWood September 20, 2019 5:50 PM  

There's so much Chive merchandise floating around this world I am struggling to believe that they are an advertisement platform.

The amount of data they can resell from that app being on every moron male phone ought to be completely sufficient to cover their business model of skimming pictures off Backpage and Instagram.

Blogger Lovekraft September 20, 2019 6:00 PM  

Terms of Service, mysterious and morph-able.

To lock the myriad of TOS regulations into a core standard is another important front, almost equal to protecting the Constitution. But globalists, at least those in charge of BigSoc editorial procedures, don't really concern themselves with these details. Zuckerberg is a puppet, albeit a potent one when considering Facebook has not even budged an inch when it comes to independent auditing of its practices

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2019/09/senator-hawley-asks-zuckerberg-to-submit-to-independent-audit-on-conservative-censorship-the-facebook-tyrant-tells-him-no/

Josh Hawley:

"Just finished meeting w @facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. Had a frank conversation. Challenged him to do two things to show FB is serious about bias, privacy & competition. 1) Sell WhatsApp & Instagram 2) Submit to independent, third-party audit on censorship. He said no to both."

---------------

And I think PewdiePie, with the recent ADL story, is a current case-study of popular dissident going up against monolithic media

Blogger Doktor Jeep September 20, 2019 6:48 PM  

Hey Vox.
Having to pay a sub fee for Socialgalactic would not bother me one bit.
Would rather pay a sub than be a party to this charade of "free"- but with sneaky monetization schemes every two seconds. Social media is the way it is because the user is the product. I make my own beer and ammo so there is money to spare.

Blogger Meng Greenleaf September 20, 2019 7:26 PM  

The thing that s*cks is their Government contracts. Amazon's storage services for the ABC and XYZ contract was massive. Hundreds of millions. It's outright fascism isn't it? We're forced to pay them through transfer tax. Just as we have to pay for public schools AND private....

Blogger Daniele Grech Pereira September 20, 2019 8:06 PM  

Vox and Castalia have a high batting average.

Blogger James Dixon September 20, 2019 10:28 PM  

> And if you haven't subscribed to Unauthorized yet, you can do so here.

My appetite for video is limited to none. I don't even watch WVU football or basketball anymore. So I'm really not your target audience for that project. That said, if you ever decide a monthly Castalia House unlimited package is worth pursuing...

Blogger TheMaleRei September 20, 2019 10:37 PM  

Apologies for Off Topic... But according to Newsweek, Jordan Peterson has checked himself into rehab.

Ahem.

Insert "clean your room" and "take your pills" commentary here.

Blogger James Dixon September 20, 2019 10:48 PM  

> Free content is worth LESS than what you pay $ for it,

Oh, I get more value out of this blog than pretty much any other site on the Internet.

> I know Android, Roku, and Apple are already submitted. I'll have to ask what is up with Fire.

The Fire is just a heavily modified Android system, so it should be a simple port, in theory. You can sideload the Android app if necessary. I'm not even sure Amazon will allow it, since they may consider it a direct competitor with Amazon TV.

]> And FFS, delete your Facebook.

That would be difficult, as I've never had an account there.

> Now we have successfully established one, but are they using it? For the most part, no.

I will admit that puzzles me. I had expected there to be a significant demand amongst artists for Dark Legion Comics. Oh well, MPAI.

Blogger Scott September 21, 2019 1:23 AM  

I subscribe to unauthorized.tv.

I buy audiobooks from Castalia House on occasion.

I'm interested in Arkhaven comics, but I haven't bought any yet.

I would buy more CH audiobooks if you offered a subcription service like audible. I've had an audible account for 8 years and own hundreds of audiobooks.

I would subscribe to the same service for your comics.

Something about the audible subscription model works with me, and I assume many other potential customers.

Blogger The Depolrable Podunk Ken Ramsey September 21, 2019 1:26 AM  

TheMaleRei wrote:Apologies for Off Topic... But according to Newsweek, Jordan Peterson has checked himself into rehab.

Ahem.


Interesting. He just couldn't lay off the cider?

Blogger Gregory the Great September 21, 2019 4:07 AM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger Gregory the Great September 21, 2019 4:08 AM  

@67 Suggested reading for Peterson while in rehab:
Aristotle and Aquinas. 13th Rule for Life: Clean your brain.

Blogger M N AD September 21, 2019 5:02 AM  

dienw wrote:@34

We are the crusaders, and the platforms are the Byzantines.

Not a good analogy: the Doges of Venice sent the Norman crusaders (as payment on their debt} against Byzantium because the latter was a competitor to its oligarchical commercial empire. The crusaders were marauders who aided in the destruction of Eastern Roman Empire.


Yes, the doge used the crusaders for petty, commercial interests. On the other hand, the crusaders weren't marauders in the beginning, they were expecting ship carriage into Asia Minor, but because of political infighting in the Constantinople court and the misjudgment of the emperor, they besieged the city and when they took it, because of previous taunts and behavior by some part of the imperial court, including the emperor and the unexpected siege where patience was exhausted, the discipline broke and they ransacked the city. The Western (meaning the Latin) armies were at least as disciplined and well behaved toward the noncombatants as the Byzantines, mostly because of church urging for several centuries. I repeat, when discipline broke down, even the mildest commander would be hard put to control his army, usually he would have to relent to pillaging, raping and partying, at least for one, two or three days.

Blogger Fuzzy September 21, 2019 10:15 AM  

Love your ethos. You guys are the punk-rock publishers

Blogger Mary MacArthur September 21, 2019 8:02 PM  

James Dixon wrote:> Now we have successfully established one, but are they using it? For the most part, no.

I will admit that puzzles me. I had expected there to be a significant demand amongst artists for Dark Legion Comics. Oh well, MPAI.


Buying Dark Legion comics, or wanting to publish their own comics through Dark Legion? I know of a few who would love to do the latter, but they assume that when Vox says Castalia House is not accepting submissions especially for fiction, that means Dark Legion too. Is that an incorrect assumption?

Blogger Daniel September 21, 2019 10:07 PM  

Same here. This blog is my primary internet stop, and when there are +100 comments about a subject i happen to find interesting.... I love it. Crack as u said

Blogger VD September 22, 2019 2:55 PM  

when Vox says Castalia House is not accepting submissions especially for fiction, that means Dark Legion too. Is that an incorrect assumption?

Yes.

Blogger FALPhil September 23, 2019 7:46 AM  

I guess Thomas COok was not too big to fail. I wish the USA had leaders with BoJo's attitude.

The building of companies,and by extension economies, by monetizing debt has always been an anathema to me. I understand how it works, but is it not obvious to anyone with a lick of sense that it is no more than a house of cards?

Blogger James Dixon September 23, 2019 11:15 PM  

> Buying Dark Legion comics, or wanting to publish their own comics through Dark Legion?

The latter. I expected there to be a growing list of authors by this point. If you know of potential authors, have them contact Vox.

Blogger Snidely Whiplash September 23, 2019 11:24 PM  

James Dixon wrote:have them contact Vox.
Dark Legion is only interested in completed works, ready to send to the printer. Nobody there has enough time to manage yet another project through to a finished product.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts