ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2020 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Monday, September 30, 2019

Why China is on the rise

The rise of Xi Jinping to supreme leadership may explain the recent and dramatic shift against China on the part of the Learned Elders of Wye. Given its proven value as a predictive model, the entire Wikileaks report on Xi by an academic acquaintance from his youth is well worth reading.
23. Xi knows how very corrupt China is and is repulsed by the all-encompassing commercialization of Chinese society, with its attendant nouveau riche, official corruption, loss of values, dignity, and self-respect, and such "moral evils" as drugs and prostitution, the professor stated. The professor speculated that if Xi were to become the Party General Secretary, he would likely aggressively attempt to address these evils, perhaps at the expense of the new moneyed class. 
And that is exactly what Xi has done, with a serious commitment to an anti-corruption campaign that has taken many by surprise. It may astonish Western readers to know that the Chinese government is now extremely popular with the people. Unlike the Western countries, in which various corporations and other organizations are reliably deemed to big to fail - which really means they are too corrupt to be permitted to fail - Xi has led a magnificently ruthless campaign against corruption in China on a scale that is absolutely unthinkable in the West.

To put it in perspective, imagine if President Trump had had both Hilary Clinton and Bill Clinton arrested and jailed, as well as two Supreme Court justices, two-thirds of the DNC, half the RNC, and numerous FBI, CIA, and IRS employees. That's effectively what Xi has already done since 2012.
Upon taking office, Xi vowed to crack down on "tigers and flies", that is, high-level officials and local civil servants alike. Most of the officials investigated were removed from office and faced accusations of bribery and abuse of power, although the range of alleged abuses varied widely. As of 2016, the campaign has 'netted' over 120 high-ranking officials, including about a dozen high-ranking military officers, several senior executives of state-owned companies, and four national leaders. More than 100,000 people have been indicted for corruption. The campaign is part of a much wider drive to clean up malfeasance within party ranks and shore up party unity. It has become an emblematic feature of Xi Jinping's political brand.
Now THAT is what actually draining the swamp looks like. The greatest political mind of the 20th century, Lee Kuan Yew, described Xi as "a man of great breadth" and said he would "put him in the Nelson Mandela class of persons." While there are certainly reasons to doubt the assumption that the 21st century will be the Chinese century, the fact that 1.6 billion people now have a leader of this reported rectitude and capability should not be discounted.

I've admired Xi since he publicly shot down Mark Zuckerberg's public attempt to put him on the spot by asking Xi to name his child in 2015. This is clearly not a man who permits himself to be manipulated by anyone, for any reason.

Labels:

76 Comments:

Blogger Stilicho September 30, 2019 7:23 AM  

Given the historic Chinese propensity towards venality and corruption, I'd be interested to see if Xi is taking on corruption per se, or only corruption that he deems harmful to Chinese or party interests. I suspect the latter, but that may be the more effective course as the Chinese adapt to the Emperor's rules without having to change too much of their cultural inclinations. Xi would not be damming to river so much as he would be directing it's course.

Blogger Stilicho September 30, 2019 7:27 AM  

And if it is the latter, I would expect Xi to come down particularly hard on any attempts by outsiders to buy influence or a foothold in China. Which would also explain the cooling of the ardour the Learned Elders once felt for China.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan September 30, 2019 7:38 AM  

A blurb from an interview of that oligarch Bloomberg being asked about China indicates that Xi and Trump have that scumbag between a rock and a hard place.

Blogger ZhukovG September 30, 2019 7:40 AM  

@Stilicho: Any wise leader must know it is impossible to perfect human society by decree. So, concentrating resources to combat those elements that are particularly harmful, to the society one rules, would be the best choice.

Blogger Sterling Pilgrim September 30, 2019 7:58 AM  

Add to that comparison of “imagine if President trump had”... imagine Trump had knowledge that we were sending millions of pounds of fentanyl and pharmaceuticals to Germany, and Germans were dying at a rate in the tens of thousands from our exports, agreed to stop, and then did not stop. And consider those most affected were the German middle class with actual blood lineage to Germany.

Blogger VD September 30, 2019 8:06 AM  

Why would Xi wish to stop idiot Americans overdosing on drugs they take for recreation? That's a win for China. The sooner the USA is unable to interfere with China in the South Pacific, the sooner the Empire, long divided, can unite.

Blogger Weak September 30, 2019 8:07 AM  

So this is what a leader looks like. Interesting. If only we had one in the West.

Blogger Cinco September 30, 2019 8:24 AM  

The assumption is that Xi has the capability/capacity to stop the production and distribution of drugs to the U.S. I would find that an incredibly difficult task to fulfill.

Blogger Dave Dave September 30, 2019 8:27 AM  

Ironically, the Chinese spy in the Australian government, Gladys Liu, is the least corrupt and most moral member. I'm at the point where I want Xi Jinping to take over this country because there's no Australian that could do a better job than him. Putin is my first choice, but no complaints about Supreme Leader Xi Jinping.

Blogger FrankNorman September 30, 2019 8:28 AM  

So Xi is trying to to good for his country, in a way that shows the finger to the globalist looters?
If so we should expect the mainstream media to start telling us all about what a horrible unjust regime the PRC is running.
They wouldn't even have to make up stuff, either - just stop ignoring it.

Blogger Sterling Pilgrim September 30, 2019 8:32 AM  

I agree. I know it’s all political survival and business over the long haul, and China see much further than most. I think I’m harboring a wish that he would target the other idiots and pervs on the left, who seem to be untouchable. I understand they are serving Xi as engines of conflict for Americans though.

Any chance that once China fully ascends, they would be content with the existence of a small Christian nation far away from their walls? At least until said Christian nation began to prosper too much for Bif China’s liking?

Blogger VFM #7634 September 30, 2019 8:33 AM  

Something I've wondered for a while: how did "Wye" become a code word for "Zion"?

@FrankNorman
It's because the Chinese are communists like they are. But Xi is basically China's Stalin, cracking down on all the NEPmen.

Blogger Katusov September 30, 2019 8:45 AM  

This Chinese mayor was caught with a stash worth billions in his basement. Reminded me of the treasure scene from that old classic movie "The Man Who Would Be King". He is going to be executed. https://www.zerohedge.com/political/stunning-clip-shows-billions-gold-cash-hidden-chinese-city-mayors-secret-basement

Blogger pnq87 September 30, 2019 8:48 AM  

But... but... but... freedom and democracy! C... communism bad!!!

Blogger Dan Karelian September 30, 2019 8:51 AM  

Where do you get the 1.6 billion figure from VD? China's population is just about 1.4 billion.
The total number of the Han worldwide is about 1.3 billion: https://infogalactic.com/info/Han_Chinese

On the other hand Xi may able to crackdown and consolidate for a period but eventually the Chinese will revert back to playing the art of war amongst themselves like they always do.
There's a great book on the subject that illustrates exactly how deeply DEEPLY gamma the Chinese spirit and ethos is, called What's Wrong with China by (((Paul Midler))). He Gets it. I highly recommend that anyone read it.

Blogger Dave Dave September 30, 2019 9:03 AM  

@15. As far as we're concerned, there are 6 billion Chinese and that's a good thing.

Blogger andrisf September 30, 2019 9:03 AM  

It is naive to say that Chinese people like their government, if you are Chinese and you say you do not like government, there will be consequences, it does not mean that most people do not like it, however it is impossible to really say how popular government is.
As for these crackdowns on corruption, then those have been happening forever in China and even tho numbers look big, you have to remember that it is China we are talking about and high level officials have been shot for corruption for many, many years in large quantities and also it is part of power consolidation since it is clear that Xi is going for president for life.
If Kyle Bass is right (he could be very wrong time wise, but i think his analysis is solid), China is in for some tough times.

Blogger Dave Dave September 30, 2019 9:05 AM  

@17. That's like saying Russians don't like Putin because they're socially required to support him. So what? The Chinese and Hong Kong protests made their way into Australia. There is clearly a large support for the Chinese government when the colonies are having pro-China rallies.

Blogger The Observer September 30, 2019 9:05 AM  

Add to that comparison of “imagine if President trump had”... imagine Trump had knowledge that we were sending millions of pounds of fentanyl and pharmaceuticals to Germany, and Germans were dying at a rate in the tens of thousands from our exports, agreed to stop, and then did not stop. And consider those most affected were the German middle class with actual blood lineage to Germany.

Several people in my circles openly consider the opioid crisis just retribution for opium and the century of humiliation. Even the couple who know the true (((identity))) of the opium merchants resent the west for being their golem.

If so we should expect the mainstream media to start telling us all about what a horrible unjust regime the PRC is running.
They wouldn't even have to make up stuff, either - just stop ignoring it.


The media has been blaring about Xinjiang and Hong Kong non-stop for months now.

Blogger fluxtheory September 30, 2019 9:10 AM  

@15
He's counting the diaspora as well.

Blogger James Dixon September 30, 2019 9:12 AM  

> The assumption is that Xi has the capability/capacity to stop the production and distribution of drugs to the U.S. I would find that an incredibly difficult task to fulfill.

Agreed. Especially since it's not really in his interest to do so.

> Any chance that once China fully ascends, they would be content with the existence of a small Christian nation far away from their walls?

There are higher powers than any worldly government.

> It's because the Chinese are communists like they are.

Not really. China hasn't been communist for a long time now. But it's the US they hate, not China. China is an ally in weakening the US.

Blogger CarpeOro September 30, 2019 9:27 AM  

2012 eh? Trying to recall if that is the time frame when I heard about the vacant mansions in Vancouver starting to fall apart because no one was being sent to maintain them. Mansions owned by wealthy Chinese trying to hide money outside of China.

For those against the trade war you need to recall this - the Chinese are interested in their end of things, not ours. Sure, some of the manufacturers sending crap products here get caught up in the corruption sweep but that is only a side effect. If we really want to prevent the importation of cheap (in ever sense of the word) products, we need to do it from our end. Viva TGE!

Blogger VFM #7634 September 30, 2019 9:28 AM  

There's a great book on the subject that illustrates exactly how deeply DEEPLY gamma the Chinese spirit and ethos is, called What's Wrong with China by (((Paul Midler))). He Gets it. I highly recommend that anyone read it.

@Dan Karelian
"The Bully of Asia" by Steven Mosher also.

Blogger FrankNorman September 30, 2019 9:29 AM  

Any chance that once China fully ascends, they would be content with the existence of a small Christian nation far away from their walls? At least until said Christian nation began to prosper too much for Bif China’s liking?

Why think so small?
In the long run, China is itself going to be a Christian nation. And there will be many other Christian nations, mighty, healthy and strong, in the world at the same time. All at peace with each other and prospering together.

From pole to pole
That wars may cease
And all be love and praise


But don't ask me how far off in the future that is.

Blogger Dan Karelian September 30, 2019 9:31 AM  

@23 Yes I read that one too. Very good book in the same vein.

Blogger John Rockwell September 30, 2019 9:48 AM  

Winnie the Pooh certainly deserves his Hunny.

Blogger Nikolai Collushnikov September 30, 2019 9:52 AM  

China isn't Communist really. They are more likely described as centrally planned, crony capitalist.

Blogger Ominous Cowherd September 30, 2019 10:15 AM  

VFM #7634 wrote:Something I've wondered for a while: how did "Wye" become a code word for "Zion"?

Didn't some influential Zionists have a big powwow in some place called Wye, a decade or so back? My search-foo is weak today, can't find a link.

Blogger VD September 30, 2019 10:15 AM  

There's a great book on the subject that illustrates exactly how deeply DEEPLY gamma the Chinese spirit and ethos is, called What's Wrong with China by (((Paul Midler))). He Gets it.

The chances of him getting it right are about as high as Shapiru being correct about Judeo-Christian civilization.

Don't read books by outsiders about other civilizations. Read books by people who are actually from that civilization.

Blogger Ominous Cowherd September 30, 2019 10:17 AM  

Nikolai Collushnikov wrote:China isn't Communist really. They are more likely described as centrally planned, crony capitalist.

Is this a No True Commie argument? Because that sounds a whole lot like real-world communism, everywhere it's been implemented.

Blogger Ominous Cowherd September 30, 2019 10:22 AM  

VD wrote:Don't read books by outsiders about other civilizations. Read books by people who are actually from that civilization.

De Toqueville and his book about America are an example of the second. He was from another branch of our Western Civilization, so he was just close enough to understand at least some of it, just outside enough to see it with fresh eyes.

A Western Jew writing about an Eastern civilization is far more outside, far less likely to understand what he sees.

Blogger doctrev September 30, 2019 10:31 AM  

Three years ago I would have said "right, because China is obviously less corrupt than American society." Looking back on it, the lawless behavior of the bureaucracy against the President proves that yes, China is less corrupt. It's particularly hilarious to watch Americans panic over social credit: their lives are under a system where a "racist" joke will cost you your house and your job. By those standards, China punishing bankrupts and transit cheats is downright meritorious.

The notion that China is playing the long game is ridiculous: Chinese corporations routinely sell poorly made and dangerous junk to America, and their aggressive loan-shark tactics abroad are meeting with fierce rejection even in Asia. But they're a relatively united nation, which is more than can be said for many of their rivals.

Blogger The Observer September 30, 2019 10:37 AM  

Is this a No True Commie argument? Because that sounds a whole lot like real-world communism, everywhere it's been implemented.

As far as I can tell, they're reverting to their old ways of the Emperor, his court and his eunuchs, this time with a coat of communist paint. It's certainly alien to western civilisation, but it's what the orient in general has been more or less comfortable with since time immemorial.

Blogger Balkan Yankee September 30, 2019 10:39 AM  

Xi's three rebellions:

1. Tibet
2. Xinjiang
3. Hong Kong

Xi has much internal crushing to do.

Blogger swiftfoxmark2 September 30, 2019 10:39 AM  

China is in the early stages of empire expansion while the US is in the late stages of empire decline.

By the end of this century, I doubt China will be on top.

At the end of the day, this whole game of empires that takes place on the world stage is really about who is the smartest retard in the special ed class.

Blogger S1AL September 30, 2019 10:45 AM  

"Is this a No True Commie argument? Because that sounds a whole lot like real-world communism, everywhere it's been implemented."

Six of one, half-dozen of the other. Countries that go Communist eventually revert to a previous form because Communism contradicts the laws of physics. The question is how much damage is done before the reversion.

Blogger Max Boivin September 30, 2019 10:59 AM  

It looks like Xi wishes to make China a high-trust society. Not only is he fighting against corruption, but the social credit system is a way of trying to force the everyday man to behave like he was in a high-trust society (whether this will work or not is a different matter).

Blogger wreckage September 30, 2019 11:07 AM  

Well, this is good news, because politicians are herd animals. The more of them openly pursue anti-corruption, national-good policies, the more momentum it will gain.

Blogger Nikolai Collushnikov September 30, 2019 11:14 AM  

Ominous Cowherd wrote:Is this a No True Commie argument? Because that sounds a whole lot like real-world communism, everywhere it's been implemented.

Heh, no.
I'm claiming that the Maoist Chinese went from gross misallocation labor through central planning to gross misallocation of capital through central planning. The one kills millions of people when it inevitably goofs, the other simply extinguishes vast sums of real capital.

Blogger Latigo3 September 30, 2019 11:22 AM  

Makes sense

Blogger John Kim September 30, 2019 11:35 AM  

I understand why kew used nelson mandela for comparison, because the left view him as Jesus Christ. But Nelson destroyed South Africa and was a communist that killed innocent kids.

Blogger Azimus September 30, 2019 11:42 AM  

Is Xi Jinping a Chinese conservative?

Blogger Unknown September 30, 2019 11:44 AM  

Wow! this is Amazing! Do you know your hidden name meaning ? Click here to find your hidden name meaning

Blogger doctrev September 30, 2019 11:44 AM  

Max Boivin wrote:It looks like Xi wishes to make China a high-trust society. Not only is he fighting against corruption, but the social credit system is a way of trying to force the everyday man to behave like he was in a high-trust society (whether this will work or not is a different matter).

It's a great idea, and I'm all for it. Though you must remember that the secret ingredient to building a high-trust society, besides a strong leader with an eye for civic virtue, is time.

Blogger Iron Spartan September 30, 2019 11:45 AM  

Nikolai Collushnikov wrote:China isn't Communist really. They are more likely described as centrally planned, crony capitalist.

The common term for that is Fascist. But admitting that exposes the lie that one is left and one is right.

Blogger Damelon Brinn September 30, 2019 11:50 AM  

China hasn't been communist for a long time now.

I've been wondering about that. When I was growing up, communism meant government ownership and control of everything. I look at China and see lots of corporations with a mix of Chinese and foreign ownership, making the cheapest possible product in a mostly unregulated business environment and selling to the highest bidder. Looks like a libertarian paradise. Can it be that and also communist?

Blogger Max Boivin September 30, 2019 12:06 PM  

doctrev wrote:Max Boivin wrote:It looks like Xi wishes to make China a high-trust society. Not only is he fighting against corruption, but the social credit system is a way of trying to force the everyday man to behave like he was in a high-trust society (whether this will work or not is a different matter).

It's a great idea, and I'm all for it. Though you must remember that the secret ingredient to building a high-trust society, besides a strong leader with an eye for civic virtue, is time.


I don't think it's a bad idea either. I'm not sure if it's gonna work, and yes, if it is to work, it will take time, but I don't have a better idea to create a high-trust society. It will be interesting to see the result in a few generations (if they can keep up). Not that I'll be around to see.

Blogger MarkN September 30, 2019 12:24 PM  

This brings a new light on the situation in Hong Kong. And, why the media publishes on HK but not the yellow jackets. I'm sure I read how there would be a clamp down in HK before tomorrow s 70th anniversary.

Blogger Borsabil September 30, 2019 12:26 PM  

"It's particularly hilarious to watch Americans panic over social credit: their lives are under a system where a "racist" joke will cost you your house and your job."


For the individual China is FAR more respectful of personal liberty than any western nation. You can smoke pretty much wherever you like. You can drive like a lunatic. You can dump trash in the street. You can jaywalk or use your mobile phone behind the wheel of a heavy goods vehicle while receiving a BJ in front of an infant's school and nothing will happen to you and no one will care.

The point of China's social credit system is an attempt by the government to reign in some of the more selfish behaviors of the citizenry. Passing laws doesn't work as they're widely ignored and the cops are underpaid and lazy. It has almost nothing to do with censorship or clamping down on opposition to the CCP, they have far more draconian methods in dealing with dissidents than denying them air travel.

Compare to the US where the social credit system is mostly run by (((private corporations))). Or in western Europe by government/corporate hybrids that clamp down on 'hate speech' and openly censor all opposition to globohomo. I much prefer resisting government control. Government workers are lazy, disinterested and usually incredibly stupid. Mumble the right noises and fill in the required forms and they'll leave you alone. Google, Amazon, Facebook, these companies are run by UHIQ Jews who mean to control every facet of my life and will never ever be satisfied with anything less.

Blogger Gen. Kong September 30, 2019 12:30 PM  

doctrev wrote:

Three years ago I would have said "right, because China is obviously less corrupt than American society." Looking back on it, the lawless behavior of the bureaucracy against the President proves that yes, China is less corrupt. It's particularly hilarious to watch Americans panic over social credit: their lives are under a system where a "racist" joke will cost you your house and your job. By those standards, China punishing bankrupts and transit cheats is downright meritorious.

Agreed. Not only will those who question the narrative lose their job in the Rotten Banana Empire, you can be fined up to a quarter-million for merely speaking the truth and calling for laws to be enforced in Trump's hometown. In over 35 states - many located in the so-called "bible belt", a de-facto loyalty oath to a foreign country is being enforced against the natives. Meanwhile, looks like the Church of Wokeunduh now has a replacement for all those hateful public statutes of old white men. I believe the Monty Python folks even wrote a prophetic song about this decades ago called "Here comes the equestrian statue".

Blogger Gregory the Tall September 30, 2019 12:33 PM  

Now can he please install a one child policy in Africa!

Blogger Gen. Kong September 30, 2019 12:41 PM  

That song was even older than I thought it was - 1967! Some of the Monty Python folks were in a band then. It goes even better with the new monument than the one pictured here (which was pretty damned gay as well). It could serve as the official anthem of clown world. Definitely in the Church of Wokeunduh Hymnal.

Blogger KPKinSunnyPhiladelphia September 30, 2019 12:44 PM  

Admiring a totalitarian sensibility that is in the service of a moral rectitude is...

Admiring a totalitarian sensibility.

Peter Thiel was interviewed on Uncommon Knowledge recently, and was asked about the post-fall-of-communism hypothesis, now totally disproven, that China would become more open and more "liberal" and more inclined to join the "community of nations" once it became more capitalist.

Thiel argues that the Chinese came to the OPPOSITE conclusion about the fall of communism -- viz., if you let the periphery of the empire slip from your control (for example, Poland), then the whole enterprise will come tumbling down.

Hong Kong is periphery. What happens there will be an interesting data point in Thiel's own hypothesis.

Blogger Nikolai Collushnikov September 30, 2019 12:45 PM  

China will install a de facto zero child policy in Africa. Watch and see.

Blogger Doktor Jeep September 30, 2019 12:49 PM  

The neocon angle is going to be to take that huge hole where criticism and recognition of issues involving Israel should be and heap it on China.

Blogger xevious2030 September 30, 2019 12:51 PM  

I do not know how to put this, because it is so outside the norm. People get pieces, but reject broader implications. Not that it’s complicated. Obama had CIA roots (parents), was groomed, was a junior Senator with no background, and went on to be President. The Clinton (2 as one) had CIA roots and career ties, and went on to be President (more conventional background than Obama). Bush had CIA background, went on to be President (more conventional background than Obama). Bush was CIA, went on to become President. The path for Obama had to be knowable well before 1985. Clinton stepped down to make way for Obama. Trump was not blocked at the convention, and it wasn’t because anyone was afraid of the people supporting him. Everything was being set up for a flashpoint fight shortly after the Trump swearing in, after 28 years of advancing people in the military officer corps (including McMaster, Mattis, Kelly)(Flynn was the only good guy of the four). Bannon, Session, the lot of the early administration. Trump did not give it to them. Trump is still not giving it to them (they’re realizing they got dumped). Little Bighorn and Gettysburg are lessons to not forget. Nor the Duke of Wellington and the number of true battles he could lose. You don’t start at Waterloo, but you Waterloo. It's Ender's Game.

Blogger Nate73 September 30, 2019 2:13 PM  

And here I was worried about China not having an Emperor anymore.

Blogger NewTunesForOldLogos September 30, 2019 2:23 PM  

Isn’t government direction of privately owned assets for the good of the nation closer to fascism or national socialism, than communism?

Blogger eclecticme September 30, 2019 3:08 PM  

"It's particularly hilarious to watch Americans panic over social credit: their lives are under a system where a "racist" joke will cost you your house and your job."

Yes. There is a great deal of personal freedom in China. Every once in a while they crack down for a special official visit.

I highly recommend The Party: The Secret World of China's Communist Rulers by Richard McGregor | Jul 31, 2012.

After reading it I was more informed and more confused. China is not western and the govt is opaque. After reading it I concluded that China is sort of a representative govt where 10% of the people (the CCP) get to vote. The remainder vote through riot if pissed off enough. They are braver than Americans. If you want to be 'dictator' (my sarcasm) you start at the botton, then maybe get to be a mayor various places, then governor in a few provinces including agricultural ones, then move to the standing committee then move to be president, all only if you do well in the previous posts. At the time of the book the president was term limited.

The CCP is cross between the Elks Club and a modern corporation where the army reports to the CCP.

Corruption was tolerated as long as it did not become too big or too public. If so then a bullet to the head was the result. E.g. this recent mayor with the gold bars. Censorship was mostly self censorship by reporters who valued their career advancement, same as the US. Foreigners were censored through deportation or refusing entry. Forming ANY national organization was forbidden.

I also recommend some youtube channels. ADVChina, SerpentZA, Laowhy86, and most recently ADV Podcasts are all good. They self censored during their years in China but are freer in ADV Podcasts (most information dense and recent). They have no high level view of China, but numerous street level views during their years in China. The earlier posts are half travel and street level videos which show lots of happy families in the background. China uncensored is critical and enterntaining.

Blogger eclecticme September 30, 2019 3:28 PM  

@49. BorsabilSeptember 30, 2019 12:26 PM
"For the individual China is FAR more respectful of personal liberty than any western nation. You can smoke pretty much wherever you like. You can drive like a lunatic. You can dump trash in the street. You can jaywalk or use your mobile phone behind the wheel of a heavy goods vehicle while receiving a BJ in front of an infant's school and nothing will happen to you and no one will care."

The ADV Podcast guys would agree with that, but ...it is China.

People smoke dope in China in public even though it is illegal. Sometimes there are crack downs. They told of a westerner who smoked dope THEN flew into China for vacation. He went to a bar frequented by westerners.

Music off, lights up, raid by police. Urine AND hair samples taken. He got two weeks drug rehab then two weeks detention then deportation. Some vacation.

SerpentZA told of an event that shocked him. It happened once in 14 years. He was pulled over in Shanghai for a traffic violation. As you said people drive as they wish in China. Traffic laws are kinda aspirational goals.

Blogger Borsabil September 30, 2019 3:58 PM  

@60 He was arrested fro being a Gweilo. Someone with a connection made a complaint about the club, how foreigners were doing bad things or being disrespectful. The cops, while being incredibly lazy, have a few hair triggers and one of them is badly behaved foreigners. He'd have been much better off staying away from ex-pat dives.

China is a weird place. You can talk politics all you want, most people don't, not because 'someone might be listening' but because it's considered boring and gauche. People jabber online saying outrageous things about government officials and again no one cares. What you're not allowed to do is organize ANY opposition to the CCP, that will get you imprisoned or killed. It's the one absolute no no in China. The government doesn't care if you're a left wing commie organizing union workers to strike or a Christian pastor who refuses to have his church monitored, you're going to get squashed. Otherwise the Chinese leadership are smart enough to know that a very laissez faire approach to law and order means the pressure cooker can let off steam.

Blogger justaguy September 30, 2019 4:04 PM  

VD has it right that it is hard to understand a culture not your own and that the best writers of the "new" but really returned to the old ways China are from China. As I am not Japanese, do not care about the Philippines, and recognize that China has a very vulnerable long sea supply chain-- I'm not worried about China. It wants its due, it wants to grow, and the Chinese have done well in every culture where they have been a minority. I think that they recognize that they were allowed to grow into the 2nd largest economy because they served a western need and are desperately trying to ride the changes wrought and still maintain the gains. They realize their vulnerability more than we do.

As far as their culture-- the Chinese that come here seem happy with it. It is not for me to judge it.

Blogger Crunchy Cachalot September 30, 2019 4:11 PM  

People smoke dope in China in public even though it is illegal.

Again, the more pragmatic ChiComs don't care to be herding users in and out of prison, an abysmal waste of time, money, and effort. What they do care to do is lay a serious smackdown on any distributor or importer they can get their mitts on.

China will install a de facto zero child policy in Africa. Watch and see.

A plan with no drawbacks.

the other simply extinguishes vast sums of real capital

Real capital? Aren't they holding hundred of billions in US IOUs?

Blogger xevious2030 September 30, 2019 5:18 PM  

"China will install a de facto zero child policy in Africa. Watch and see."

Try some basic algebra. The limits of relative comparison would probably be a bit much.

Blogger xevious2030 September 30, 2019 6:04 PM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger xevious2030 September 30, 2019 6:26 PM  


To put it another way, essentially, a portion of the East, claimed these lands 10k years ago. China has seen how welcome they were to the newcomers. China has seen how China has been treated, even in the past few decades. Africans, for their part, have done far less to harm China.

Blogger Iron Spartan September 30, 2019 8:57 PM  

China is stablizing itself for its upcoming war with India for ownership of SE Asia, the Indian Ocean, and the western Pacific

Blogger rumpole5 September 30, 2019 9:22 PM  

I am old enough to remember all sorts of health and behavior propaganda on radio, newsreels, and then TV. When polio shots were developed the teachers just walked us over to the local Drs. office and lined us up for shots. I am therefore not so shocked by the efforts of Xi to instill better social values in the Chinese population. I grew up under a version of the same system.

Blogger Dan Karelian September 30, 2019 10:20 PM  

@29 The genetic fallacy may be a useful heuristic in determining the chances of a set of positions being correct, but this outsider married into the culture and has spent decades immersed in it. He's about as qualified as an outsider as one can ever be. Midler is also not a proven liar, unlike Shapiru.
One could also take the recommendation and also read authors from the civilization in question. Compare and contrast.

There is also reason to believe that China has had a large incentive to inflate it's official population numbers: https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion/article/3018829/chinas-population-numbers-are-almost-certainly-inflated-hide

In any case 1.6 billion is way off the mark.

Blogger eclecticme October 01, 2019 12:09 AM  

Thanks to Vox. I read the Xi content apparently from a US embassy cable. Nothing shocking there. BTW he was trained as a chemical engineer. To become 'dicator' he had to work his way up for several decades of competent administration.

The US MSM is worthless. They mention the same list of anti Chinese stories. Even if true I had heard them 100 times already. The ADV China guys usually have hundreds of happy Chinese in the background. It is not North Korea.

BTW I understand the Chinese support the social credit system.

Here is some pro Chinese video. She may have lots of help. I do not care. Lizi qi supossedly moved from the big city back to help her widowed grandma. If this is propaganda our children should watch it.
https://youtu.be/UvmC-leoj9U

Blogger carnaby October 01, 2019 1:50 AM  

To put it in perspective, imagine if President Trump had had both Hilary Clinton and Bill Clinton arrested and jailed, as well as two Supreme Court justices, two-thirds of the DNC, half the RNC, and numerous FBI, CIA, and IRS employees.

Does the POTUS have the authority to, or any means by which he may do such a thing? How could this possibly happen in our country? How could you get past the investigation stage, or even get it started, let alone actually begin some sort of prosecution? What are the mechanisms, and are they actually feasible?

Blogger Gregory the Tall October 01, 2019 7:31 AM  

As he is an engineer he cannit believe in (((climate change))).

Blogger Ominous Cowherd October 01, 2019 12:21 PM  

carnaby wrote:Does the POTUS have the authority to, or any means by which he may do such a thing? How could this possibly happen in our country?

Patriot Act. Or, just kill his enemies with drones, like 0bammy did.

Blogger MagnusStout October 01, 2019 2:51 PM  

Two thoughts:

1) Don't trust *any* leader who clamps down on Churches. Xi has effectively decelared war against Christians in China. God will not tolerate such behavior and Xi will be harshly judged.

2) Two excellent and fair YouTubers (both native speakers and married to Chinese wives) both have had to leave China because everything is getting worse. Good quick video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed4ryYokLzU

Blogger Unknown October 05, 2019 4:12 PM  

He's referring to implementation.
It has to be avowed policy to be a proper Fascism.

Blogger Unknown October 05, 2019 7:26 PM  

👍

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts