ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2019 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Friday, November 15, 2019

The foolish arrogance of the U.S. elite

Even if he may be playing it a little heavy for tongue-in-cheek purposes, the foolish arrogance of an elite that genuinely, but erroneously believes it is smarter than everyone else is readily apparent in this interview with Angelo Codevilla by David Samuels:

David Samuels: In 2010, you wrote an article, which then became a book, in which you predicted the rise of someone like Donald Trump as well as the political chaos and stripping away of institutional authority that we’ve lived through since. Did you think your prediction would come true so quickly?

Angelo Codevilla: I didn’t predict anything. I described a situation which had already come into existence. Namely, that the United States has developed a ruling class that sees itself as distinct from the raw masses of the rest of America. That the distinction that they saw, and which had come to exist, between these classes, comprised tastes and habits as well as ideas. Above all, that it had to do with the relative attachment, or lack thereof, of each of these classes to government.

One of the things that struck me about your original piece was your portrait of the American elite as a single class that seamlessly spans both the Democratic and Republican parties.

Of course, yes. Not in exactly the same way, though; what I said was that the Democrats were the senior partners in the ruling class. The Republicans are the junior partners.

The reason being that the American ruling class was built by or under the Democratic Party. First, under Woodrow Wilson and then later under Franklin Roosevelt. It was a ruling class that prized above all its intellectual superiority over the ruled. And that saw itself as the natural carriers of scientific knowledge, as the class that was naturally best able to run society and was therefore entitled to run society.

The Republican members of the ruling class aspire to that sort of intellectual status or reputation. And they have shared a taste of this ruling class. But they are not part of the same party, and as such, are constantly trying to get closer to the senior partners. As the junior members of the ruling class, they are not nearly as tied to government as the Democrats are. And therefore, their elite prerogatives are not safe.

As a young person moving through American elite institutions, I was always struck by the marginal status of those other people you mention, Republicans. Clearly, they were not as bright as me and my friends were, which is why they were marginal, even if they had an easier path to some kind of dubious status as pseudo-intellectuals in their second- or third-rate party organs. That hardly mattered, though. The New York Times was the important newspaper, and it was a liberal newspaper. The New Yorker was an important magazine, and so it was a liberal magazine. Right-wing types might look instead to the Conservative Review of Books, published out of Mobile, Alabama, or the Jesuit review of something or another. But nobody was quaking in their boots about how such places might review your work. All the cultural capital was on the Democratic side of the ledger.

What a marvelous recitation of ruling class prejudice.

Of course, you would not have judged them to be nearly as intelligent as you folks were. And you probably didn’t imagine that others would think you less intelligent.

Let them rant and rave about their conspiracy theories and whatnot. They didn’t matter.

Well, they didn’t matter. Because of the power that you wielded, because of the institutions that you controlled.

Now let me give you an alternative. In France, with which you tell me you are acquainted, you have meritocracy in government and institutions. Meritocracy ensured by competitive exams. I, and a bunch of nonliberal democrats as myself, would be absolutely delighted if institutions like The New York Times, The Atlantic, were to open their pages to people who bested others in competitive exams. But of course, they’re not thinking at all of doing that. As a matter of fact, the institutions of liberal America have been moving away from competitive exams as fast as they know how.

In living memory, and I’m an example of that, it was for a time possible for nonliberal Democrats to get into the American foreign service, and if they did as I did, and scored number one in their class, they would have their choice of assignments. But now, you have all sorts of new criteria for admission into the foreign service, which have supposedly ensured greater diversity. In fact, what they had done was to eliminate the possibility that the joint might be invaded by lesser beings of superior intelligence.

There is a curious mélange of dispensations under which people are escorted into the grand ballroom of the good and the great, right? Category one were with high test scores. Then there were the children of people who had gone to these institutions in previous generations, whose parents have money and might be named Cabot or Lowell. Then there were the admissions categories that cover you in the opposite direction—4.8% African Americans plus at least one white person who grew up without shoes in the mountains of West Virginia. These covering cases were useful because they could be trumpeted as proof of how far and wide the net was cast. All of which went to show that the most meritorious people were all gathered together in this place, and were therefore fit to rule everyone else.

Merit as defined by what?

I have no idea.

Merit as defined by the capacity to be attractive to those at the top of the heap. In other words what you have is rightly called not meritocracy, but co-option.

Now it is one of the fundamental truths of our co-option that it results in a negative selection of elites. That each group selects people who are just a smacking below themselves, so that generation after generation, the quality of those at the top deteriorates.

Are you suggesting that the all-white Christian male elites, who largely inherited their status from their parents, were more deserving of their elevated status than their more diverse counterparts, like the people who ran American foreign policy under President Barack Obama?

I don’t know that the statesmen of the 1920s and ’30s were any more meritorious than the folks under Barack Obama, because they themselves were not selected by any meritocratic criteria, as you suggest. However, I do know, having taught college for many years, that the amount of work that was done by college students 50 years ago or more was considerably greater than the amount of work that is done by college graduates today.

Labels: , ,

84 Comments:

Blogger Rakshasa November 15, 2019 5:39 AM  

The arrogance of vox with none of the brains, a cringy read.

Blogger Lazarus November 15, 2019 5:44 AM  

(((David Samuels))) is insufferable.

All I can hear when I read his questions is: " I LUV paying people to NOT take the mustard out of my slacks!"

A link for the brave: https://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-arts-and-culture/culture-news/292763/angelo-codevilla

Blogger SciVo November 15, 2019 5:48 AM  

If it were a meritocracy, then it would be open to competing points of view. But all you have to do to be disqualified is to openly admit that you have read and liked Martin Heidegger's Being and Time. They of course have never read anything by such a verboten outcast, or at least would never admit to it. And they appear to honestly believe that crowd-following willful ignorance makes them superior.

Blogger Stilicho November 15, 2019 5:51 AM  

It has been amusing in recent years to watch the ruling caste embrace the term "elite" to describe themselves when there is nothing elite about them. They merely occupy positions of greater power within the current structure. But oh how they love to be labeled "elite" even when it is used as a pejorative. Even as the term gains increasingly negative connotations, the ruling caste clings ever tighter to it. Why? Because it validates their self-image. It's the pretty lie they tell themselves that justifies whatever self-serving actions they take. In fact, they simply aren't very bright and they certainly aren't virtuous.

I despise the French Revolution on many levels, but I am beginning to understand the motivations for it.

Blogger VD November 15, 2019 5:56 AM  

But all you have to do to be disqualified is to openly admit that you have read and liked Martin Heidegger's Being and Time.

Forget that Smart Boy stuff. All you have to do now is wear a red baseball cap. Heidigger is safer because most of our would-be intellectual superiors have never heard of him.

Blogger Brett baker November 15, 2019 6:10 AM  

Samuels does have a realistic theory of decline, though. All the money is gradually sucked up by the capital, until the ability to do things the nation needs collapses. But the elite have a good time.

Blogger bodenlose Schweinerei November 15, 2019 6:16 AM  

They of course have never read anything by such a verboten outcast

Of course not, they're waiting for the Netflix series.

Blogger DannyDanger November 15, 2019 6:23 AM  

I feel like this idea that "we are better than you and therefore entitled to rule over you" goes a long way to explaining the psychological makeup of every lefty ever...regardless of reality, it's what they believe.

My first exposure to someone putting this idea into words was Tom Sowell's "Intellectuals & Society" - it's a good roast of the university profs and such - and a stepping stone on my way here

Blogger Section 8A November 15, 2019 6:28 AM  

I saw this linked last week on the Woodpile Report, read the whole thing, and was astounded at the arrogance of Samuels. Codevilla dissects this guy even as you can feel Samuels' arrogance emanate off the page. What a twerp. How Codevilla was able to stomach this person's presence is incredible.

Blogger Silent Draco November 15, 2019 6:36 AM  

Three generation of Adams' family were originally interred in the family plot at their congregational church in Braintree. The memorial plaques inside are the same as other community notables, but a bit longer to include duties as President, VP, Secretary of State, Ambassador. Humble and God-fearing men at heart, all of modest means but highly capable. Contrast with the spoiled brats of today is disgusting and obvious.

Blogger urthshu November 15, 2019 6:38 AM  

they're waiting for the Netflix series.

+++

Throwness, the miniseries. Maybe it's already been with If I Hadn't Met You

Blogger Skyler the Weird November 15, 2019 6:48 AM  

Oh for the days when Presidents and other elites died in debt and poverty.

Blogger Damelon Brinn November 15, 2019 6:59 AM  

Interviewee: The ruling class thinks it's smarter than everyone else and so deserves to rule.
Interviewer: Well yeah, we totally are. What's your point?

Pick an industry dominated by these people and compare today's "bright lights" to those of the past, and I don't see how you can avoid the opposite conclusion. Contrast Nancy Pelosi with Tip O'Neill, and then with AOC. Look at the people writing big-budget movies, who can't turn out a two-hour script without huge plot holes. You can watch videos of entry-level computer programming classes at MIT from the 1980s, and the contrast between those and the ones they're doing now is huge.

It's Idiocracy, but it's not taking 500 years; it's happening fast enough to see it in real time.

Blogger Bramley Apple-Sauce November 15, 2019 7:09 AM  

I detest this style of interview conducted as 'dialogue'.

Remember first seeing them in wanky art mags about 15 years ago, but sure it must have been around longer. It's so pretentious how the writer has to interpose themselves in the piece, as if to say "i'm just as important as this peon i've chosen to feature, in fact probably more so", telling pointless personal anecdotes about their meaningless lives which add all but nothing and merely take space on the page. This sneering prick isn't even conscious that Codevilla is tearing him a new one. He just sits there lapping it up thinking it tastes just like validation.

Brings to mind the 4chan slur 'reddit pleb' for some reason.

Blogger Doktor Jeep November 15, 2019 7:15 AM  

Now it's obvious why these so-called elites love letting in hordes of brainless immigrants.

Blogger JAG November 15, 2019 7:17 AM  

Wonder how elite Ceuacescu felt on that balcony as the subjects were letting him know that they no longer viewed him as elite, nor were they afraid of him and his goons any longer.

Blogger Al From Bay Shore November 15, 2019 7:23 AM  

I read the entire interview via the linked article and the predictability of this response by the interviewer blew my mind:

"There is the inherent rightness of my views, of course, which is proven by science—"

Blogger rognuald November 15, 2019 7:30 AM  

A very informative link. Thanks Vox.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan November 15, 2019 7:33 AM  

The Vox SMV theory explains much.

Blogger matism November 15, 2019 7:34 AM  

The tribe yearns for the good old days under their Messiahs - Lenin and Stalin!!!

Blogger The Cooler November 15, 2019 7:37 AM  

I do wish the so-called elite were wrong about how painfully easy it is to placate their 'clients.' It was quite a stumbling block for me, many moons ago. Were I not a Christian, I am fairly certain I would have ended up one of these soulless, sophisticated automata who can ultimately be dealt with in only one way.

If I deserve Hell...

God is Good.

Blogger SciVo November 15, 2019 7:59 AM  

VD wrote:Forget that Smart Boy stuff. All you have to do now is wear a red baseball cap.

Of course you're right, but you're hurting my head. 20-25 years ago, mentioning him favorably was a good way to get labeled a Nazi. As much scorn as I have for the pseudo-intellectual clowns that they were, it is still hard to process how hard and fast they have fallen from their already-low perch.

Blogger Damelon Brinn November 15, 2019 8:07 AM  

This is why they were so attached to that study which claimed to prove that blue states had higher IQs than red states. As Steve Sailer has pointed out, a liberal is someone who insists IQ doesn't exist and also believes his IQ is higher than yours. It's fun to throw that one back at them now that it was shown to be a hoax.

Blogger JACIII November 15, 2019 8:11 AM  

"They are your pawns, the people whose votes you take."

This. Biting into this illuminates the bifactional left in the US.

Blogger JACIII November 15, 2019 8:17 AM  

"Now tell me: How does your eccentric description of the American elites square with what we know to be the American democratic system? Congress makes the laws. The president of the United States is in charge of the executive functions of government. And then there’s the Supreme Court, which makes sure everything’s constitutionally kosher.

What you are describing is a kind of semiconspiratorial extraconstitutional elite superstructure whose actions do not accord with American civics textbooks or what I read in the newspaper."

Translation: "Shout from the mountaintop all you want. We've got everyone fooled! Hahahahaha!"

Blogger tuberman November 15, 2019 8:29 AM  

"The foolish arrogance of the U.S. elite," is on point. This draws a good picture of "These People Are Stupid," or the elite. The picture here is incomplete, as they are worse then even this, but it is years later than the interview, so there has been time to deteriorate further.

Blogger Monotonous Languor November 15, 2019 8:32 AM  

'Merit as defined by the capacity to be attractive to those at the top of the heap. In other words what you have is rightly called not meritocracy, but co-option.'

What they have now is an overwhelming sense of moral superiority. They feel they have all the correct beliefs, all the correct motives, and all the correct ideals to make a self-righteous claim of entitlement over everyone and everything else, including God Himself.

Blogger Nikolai Collushnikov November 15, 2019 8:33 AM  

That's why, when you fight with a leftist, always attack their intellectual capacity.

Blogger tuberman November 15, 2019 8:37 AM  

@20 mat

"The tribe yearns for the good old days under their Messiahs - Lenin and Stalin!!!"

The tribes true Messiah was Trotsky, and a huge group of the tribe got kicked out under Stalin, and came to the USA as Neoclowns.

Blogger dc.sunsets November 15, 2019 8:42 AM  

It is not IMO "black pill" to recognize that there is no lasting hope of renewal until after nadir is reached, so in the meantime all roads lead down. There were documented pauses/renewals during the Decline & Fall of the (Western) Roman Empire, yet eventually it reached completion, percolating for several lifetimes-of-a-man before Western Civ re-sprouted and blossomed anew with wondrous artwork and soaring cathedrals.

"Bad Ideas" are as destructive as a bacterial plague (perhaps even more so) and "Bad Ideas" infect so many people today that we live in what amounts to a blend of Idiocracy and Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

In a thousand years it will be obvious that Infectious Ideology is a Black Plague of its own kind, and that there's nothing more destructive than nihilism dressed up as a religion.

Codevilla is like Mises, not an agent of change but a chronicler of decline. But seeing what is wrong is part of charting (as best one can) a different course. Nock's Isaiah's Job is right; be of the Remnant.

Blogger justaguy November 15, 2019 8:47 AM  

AC is an extremely smart observer of the interactions of power. His article/book put into easily understood words what has been happening for years and is now accelerating. The most important highlight of the article is where AC describes why the elite is disintegrating "That each group selects people who are just a smacking below themselves, so that generation after generation, the quality of those at the top deteriorates." At this point our elites have a very different grasp of facts and reality than exist and are notably more credentialed but much less smart than before. This becomes obvious when they run into any real opposition-- their inability to think,respond, or adapt. What they do however is grassp government power and wield it bluntly like a 2 handed axe.

Blogger dc.sunsets November 15, 2019 8:57 AM  

Is there a more-destructive arrangement than when the herd is "led" by those whose intelligence declines and arrogance rises with each generation? Codevilla nails the nature of these "leadership" trends.

It is human (biological) nature to look "up" and "around" to "decide" what to think about things that are abstract or intangible. This literally describes how the markets for stocks, bonds and such move up and down through time. It is a system governed by positive feedback, which explains why, over and over, such things spin wildly faster until catastrophic failure occurs. The dystopian trends of the last hundred years can be graphed alongside the Dow Jones Industrial Average, and exhibit an exponential growth that is unsustainable on Earth and in Nature. Putting it all on a vast MasterCard these past 38 years suggests that the end is closer than the beginning.

The only relevant question is when does the acceleration of this spinning wheel reach the point where the linear strength of the spokes is insufficient? The current political situation is microscopic cracks in those spokes. No, Virginia, we cannot all get along with each other.

Blogger Laramie Hirsch November 15, 2019 9:04 AM  

Having elites is a part of life. The world always has had and always will have elites. (The same is true for the Kingdom of Heaven and that of Hell.). What is detestable in this age is who, exactly, those elites are.

Blogger tacman November 15, 2019 9:25 AM  

The arrogance of the interviewer is palpable. I thought it was particularly interesting that he mentioned the supposed falsehood of the McMaster's School ritual abuse in the setup to one of the questions. Doubly interesting, of course that, we have evidence via the FBI document dump on the Finder's cult that everything the children claimed, including the tunnels, was true.

Blogger flyingtiger November 15, 2019 9:43 AM  

#15) Doktor Jeep. The reason for our present immigration policy, and why they are trying to destroy white Americans. White Americans with the right education and training can become elites and their children can become elites. Illiterate Hispanics or Africans cannot. They represent no danger to the Elites and are safer.

Blogger Johnny November 15, 2019 9:45 AM  

Along with being rationalizing creatures, we are also pack animals, to use the animal term for group identity. Moral values are often just rationalizations for group identity.

Blogger JamesB.BKK November 15, 2019 9:52 AM  

Codevilla dissects this guy even as you can feel Samuels' arrogance emanate off the page. What a twerp. How Codevilla was able to stomach this person's presence is incredible.

It wasn't apparent that Samuels knew what was happening to him. Rank mimic. He'd probably be quick to trot out Dunning-Kruger on someone else though.

Blogger Jack Ward November 15, 2019 9:55 AM  

I think this totally on topic. IE, got NeonRevolts Revolution Q a few days ago. into it about 18% so far, and rapidly getting to the stage of cannot put the thing down.
Well done, very informative and fills in many holes in my knowledge of the Q effort. Worth the wait. So far....

Blogger Moniker J November 15, 2019 9:59 AM  

Related: Given opportunities and rewards elsewhere, Schools of Education in the US have recruited from the bottom academic quartile (or so) for how many generations now?

Blogger dc.sunsets November 15, 2019 10:02 AM  

We’ve come to accept that certain classes of people are in fact above the law.

We have come to accept that.

The election of 2016 was precisely about whether anyone in America is above the law. The reason why so many people did not vote for Hillary Clinton is the feeling that she and her ilk were above the law, were acting as if they were above the law, which happened to be entirely true. Now the fact that the Trump administration is acting according to the same premise, i.e., that some people are above the law, is evidence that the revolution that the voters wanted in 2016 has only just begun.


We have the negatives of an Absolute Monarchy with the Idiocracy-inducing incentives of "democracy" (AKA rising in power by selling your soul to a near-literal devil.)

Enjoy the features of Modern Plenitude (while it lasts.) Plenitude's inherent bugs, it turns out, are voracious termites and the entire edifice of Plenitude is wood.

We'll know that the Revolution is finally arrived when "I'm from the government" is the last phrase uttered by a whole lot of folks, because the perception of being above the law is an irresistible inducement to put them under the sod.

Blogger CarpeOro November 15, 2019 10:11 AM  

For a society in decline there tends to be a growing divergence from the truth/reality. This is reflected in the top or tier - it becomes less elite in quality and more in simple position. As with any time lies are raised up as the truth, there will be a correction. Likely a bloody one.

Blogger M.S. November 15, 2019 10:13 AM  

Another part of the problem, aside from the invasion of the U.S. by "Neo-Palestinians", and aside from the tendency of the left to focus on capturing institutions, is that early on in American history, the pragmatists and populists won out in deciding what the national culture would be. De Tocqueville and Hofstadter both have written about it. Mark Noll's "The Scandal Of The Evangelical Mind" pointed out tragically that evangelical Christians, as of the book's publishing (the 90s) didn't sponsor a single research university. Too many high-potential young people with personalities of an intellectual or artistic bend end up going over to the left because they feel out of place, neglected and inferior in an America like that, and while ultimately they're fully responsible for their decision to join the dark side instead of trying to reform things, their frustrations are ones I share.

Blogger dienw November 15, 2019 10:16 AM  

Tangentially: BYU forced out of the intellectual elite class.
FTA:

LGBT activists have weaponized two scientific societies to cut off a major Mormon university from their international community of scientists. The American Geophysical Union (AGU) in Washington, D.C., and the Geological Society of America (GSA) in Colorado pulled job ads from Brigham Young University (BYU) after facing complaints over BYU's Honor Code, which prohibits homosexual conduct among students and staff.
...
In fact, earlier this year, Yale University decided to yank all funding from Yale students and graduates who chose to work for organizations that "discriminate" against LGBT people.

Blogger tublecane November 15, 2019 10:17 AM  

I see your tongue-in-cheek point, because one wouldn't think they'd be such perfect caricatures of themselves if it weren't for other purposes. There'd be humility and doubt mixed in with the braggadoccio.

If they were so smart, they would have encountered men from previous eras--before the dawn of the current ruling class--who disagreed with them. But of course they could always play the atheist game, which is to pretend every smart person from Aristotle to Santayana would have been a good New Deal liberal if they had the freedom.

The Cabot or Lowell reference is a tired dig at Old WASPdom, which let mediocre gentlemen into the Ivies ahead of all the Einsteins and Freuds shivering in the cold. Just like country clubs during the golfocaust. However, does anyone think New England High Culture pre-FDR was inferior to the excrement we have now? Anyone?

Blogger dienw November 15, 2019 10:24 AM  

@42 M. S.
Too many high-potential young people with personalities of an intellectual or artistic bend end up going over to the left because they feel out of place...
Yes. There is not place in the conservative churches; nor in the mainstream liberal churches either: they don't want Christians. Neither wants creative types who are more intelligent than the pastor or elders. Christian artists have to wander as outcasts in their own land.

Blogger dienw November 15, 2019 10:26 AM  

What drivel: FTA:
No one runs America. That’s the terror and the beauty of American life in a nutshell, the answer to the secret of how 300 million people from many different places can live together between two oceans, sharing a future-oriented outlook that methodically obliterates any ties to the past.

Blogger DonReynolds November 15, 2019 10:55 AM  

There is a story about one of the Crusades to the Holy Land, when the leader was killed in battle. Now who will be next, among all the noble knight captains, who lead their own Christian knights on the Crusade? The fallen leader had left word that should he fall, the one that would take his place would be the man "with the sharpest sword". So one of the Grand Dukes claimed to be the next leader and demonstrated his claim by chopping iron bars off with his sword. Everybody was impressed, surely he must be the next leader of the Crusade....except for one man who challenged his claim. After all, the next leader must be the man with the sharpest sword, not the strongest arm. He tossed a silk scarf onto his sword and it was cut in two. He was acclaimed as the next leader.

True or not, the story suggests that humans have difficulty selecting leaders, which is really the point. Leaders are handed great power, and sometimes given a direction for that power in the form of responsibility to the people they lead.

Many methods have been tried over the centuries in every country to determine who will be the leader but none of them have proven definitive. All we can say for sure is that humans have tried every different way they can think of and they seem to disappoint. We may have a good idea of what a good leader would be, but we have no reliable method of making a new leader. We are not even certain what powers our leader should have. It always seems to be too little or too much.

In the USA, we essentially have the same ruling class we have had since colonial times. There has been no fundamental change or challenge to the ruling class. In is only in the last century that we have any pretense of being a democracy, without actually being one. No, the US is not a democracy.

Are the current crop of candidates for president in 2020 the best people to lead this great nation out of 320 million people? Absolutely not. Each of us probably know someone who would make a better president than any of them, but that is not how the system works, or doesn't work.

I sometimes think the Druids may have improved on a much older system. Whenever times were difficult, the Druid high priest would sacrifice the King and read his entrails to predict the future. Then someone else would get to be King, until times got difficult, or unlucky, again. Then he, too, would be sacrificed to divine the solution to all things.

Blogger tuberman November 15, 2019 11:09 AM  

"The election of 2016 was precisely about whether anyone in America is above the law. The reason why so many people did not vote for Hillary Clinton is the feeling that she and her ilk were above the law, were acting as if they were above the law, which happened to be entirely true. Now the fact that the Trump administration is acting according to the same premise, i.e., that some people are above the law, is evidence that the revolution that the voters wanted in 2016 "The election of 2016 was precisely about whether anyone in America is above the law. The reason why so many people did not vote for Hillary Clinton is the feeling that she and her ilk were above the law, were acting as if they were above the law, which happened to be entirely true. Now the fact that the Trump administration is acting according to the same premise, i.e., that some people are above the law, is evidence that the revolution that the voters wanted in 2016 has only just begun."

This paragraph ranges between obvious, all the way to as off-base as the SJW Narrative.

That "the revolution that the voters wanted in 2016 has only just begun," is the obvious part. It could only be thus as the global elites were at their peak of power, controlling most institutions in 2016, and this was World Wide.

As for the rest, it takes a total fool to think the election of one man to POTUS to turn it around 180 degrees in a short time. Trump will not solve some critical problems, but he and his allies will bring down the elite as he must to save his whole family, and the families of the people who helped put him in power. If the elite ever get back total control, they will kill off all these people's families, as in wipe them away entirely. Then they will target the people who voted for him, immediately.

"...the fact that the Trump administration is acting according to the same premise, i.e., that some people are above the law..." Is Total BS.

Considering the above I wrote is true, and it is, it is just taking more time then many would of us would like, but the elite will pay. Some say there was a Plan Z, yet they were not ready to go full Roman on the elite due to the possibility of millions of deaths as collateral damage.

The elite will be addressed by this administration, and unlike the Socialist Alt-Retards, they don't want to throw the baby out with the slime water.


Blogger spinoza November 15, 2019 11:15 AM  

Ever hears the adage not to engage with stupidity, this is the inferior's only defense, to decide what matches will be played and if the winners is ignored or rewarded. I was never given a reward for superiority and watched as the second & third places were treated as first over and over until my winning streak promptly ended by farce was forgotten and the inferiors believed the people who told them they are winners. Hate the player not the game? Tell that to the steelers player wielding a helmet last night.

Blogger xevious2030 November 15, 2019 11:25 AM  

"the most obvious present-day alternative being a society run by ever-advancing forms of AI, which will no doubt have only the best interests of their flesh-and-blood creators at heart"

Not part of the actual interview, but quite funny, and entirely applicable to their biological counterparts.

Blogger ace November 15, 2019 11:32 AM  

Samuels somehow made the interview about the fact that he's a Jew. You don't say!

Blogger Haus frau November 15, 2019 11:34 AM  

That tweet from a Berkly philosophy professor comes to mind. His name is Jackson Kernion.
I unironically embrace the bashing of rural Americans," Kernion wrote in a now-deleted tweet. "They, as a group, are bad people who have made bad life decisions...and we should shame people who aren't pro-city."
When a self proclaimed elite becomes so severed from the productive classes of the same society its only a matter of time before things collapse. How can they possibly make good governing decisions regarding people and economic activity they dont understand and actively despise.

Blogger Newscaper312 November 15, 2019 11:41 AM  

@31 "The most important highlight of the article is where AC describes why the elite is disintegrating "That each group selects people who are just a smacking below themselves, so that generation after generation, the quality of those at the top deteriorates."

Sounds like Steve Jobs' B-players took over

Blogger ace November 15, 2019 12:01 PM  

Stilicho wrote:I despise the French Revolution on many levels, but I am beginning to understand the motivations for it.

Or imagine being in Genghis Khan's army and riding up to the ancient version of Washington DC or San Francisco.

Blogger Unknownsailor November 15, 2019 12:11 PM  

Monotonous Languor wrote:'Merit as defined by the capacity to be attractive to those at the top of the heap. In other words what you have is rightly called not meritocracy, but co-option.'

What they have now is an overwhelming sense of moral superiority. They feel they have all the correct beliefs, all the correct motives, and all the correct ideals to make a self-righteous claim of entitlement over everyone and everything else, including God Himself.

And every time they are challenged they seek to maintain that sense of moral superiority by casting aspersions on the moral agency of their challenger. This is where the usual cavalcade of racist/transphobe/homophobe/sexist comes from. No one should ever mistake such offerings as anything but moral posturing.

This is also why mockery works so well to enrage them, and why the NPC meme was so effective.

Blogger Unknownsailor November 15, 2019 12:12 PM  

ace wrote:Stilicho wrote:I despise the French Revolution on many levels, but I am beginning to understand the motivations for it.

Or imagine being in Genghis Khan's army and riding up to the ancient version of Washington DC or San Francisco.

I firmly believe I will see a Mongolian cleansing of the US in my lifetime. I am 48.

Blogger dc.sunsets November 15, 2019 12:27 PM  

@52 That "intellectual" reads astonishingly similar to the aristocrat Marie Antoinette's "let them eat cake" (AKA horseshit in the street.)

There is a fundamental difference between those who see the World as existing for their amusement and begging to be "improved" by their superior intellects, and those who see the world as neither toy, nor clay nor their platform.

The latter grasp the limits of knowledge (at least.) The former drown in ignorance of their own ignorance. "What will you do if everyone goes and jumps in the lake?" The answer is get dragged in with/by them, because bystanders are not allowed. The Remnant fashions life-rings.

The ignorance of David Samuels is frankly astonishing; no serious scholar of American political science embraces his first thesis: "No one runs America. That’s the terror and the beauty of American life in a nutshell, the answer to the secret of how 300 million people from many different places can live together between two oceans, sharing a future-oriented outlook that methodically obliterates any ties to the past." There are high school students with a better grasp of political science.

Either he's a complete troll, a sock-puppet or as Nate would say, this is a little guy who's waaaay to short for this ride. Maybe Mike Judge should put Samuels' picture on new editions of Idiocray's movie poster.

Blogger dc.sunsets November 15, 2019 12:31 PM  

I think I know why Angelo Codevilla suffered this fool. He knew that by doing so he'd have his apotheosis of the decline of the "elite."

In these times, belief that one is "elite" is synonymous with actively embracing mental illness. "But on me, this disfiguring disease looks good!"

Blogger anorganicbear November 15, 2019 12:40 PM  

It's interesting that he defines the elites as those who view themselves as intellectually superior to the class of politician defined by Trump, and the people he represents. It puts certain things into perspective. For example, all of the fake-right who insist that they can't stand Trumps tweets, even when they agree with his results and policies. I think this is a very useful definition, and a great litmus test for seeing if someone is fake-right or not (although this distinction is becoming increasingly obvious).

Blogger spinoza November 15, 2019 1:07 PM  

anorganicbear wrote:It's interesting that he defines the elites as those who view themselves as intellectually superior to the class of politician defined by Trump, and the people he represents. It puts certain things into perspective. For example, all of the fake-right who insist that they can't stand Trumps tweets, even when they agree with his results and policies. I think this is a very useful definition, and a great litmus test for seeing if someone is fake-right or not (although this distinction is becoming increasingly obvious). Who has the time to read twitter? Good actors.

Blogger JG November 15, 2019 1:15 PM  

Midwits gotta midwit.

Blogger VFM Bear November 15, 2019 1:37 PM  

"I firmly believe I will see a Mongolian cleansing of the US in my lifetime. I am 48."

Better brush up on my equestrian skills.

Blogger anorganicbear November 15, 2019 1:55 PM  

@60 > Who has the time to read twitter? Good actors.

I don't think they actually read them, but they read the New York Times, which tells them that the tweets are bad and represent what's wrong with Trump's administration.

Blogger Joe Katzman November 15, 2019 2:01 PM  

Based on Samuels’ preface, large portions of his interview clearly come with <sarc tags that they probably should have printed. He is not impressed by the current ‘elite’, and observes that most are not Americans. If he sounds like an smarmy ignorant, that was the caricature he aimed at.

With that said, Codevilla is right. Samuels needs to read the New Testament. You’re in a civilization that you cannot really understand otherwise. No, there is no Jewish exemption. That really was ignorant and stupid.

Blogger tublecane November 15, 2019 2:34 PM  

@59- NeverTrump is a useful test, but even Little Ben Shapiro managed to outflank that snare.

Blogger Stilicho November 15, 2019 4:12 PM  

@Katzman, you are right that Samuels is critical of the "elite" caste, but he thinks we just need better/smarter socialists in charge.

Blogger Azure Amaranthine November 15, 2019 4:44 PM  

"That "intellectual" reads astonishingly similar to the aristocrat Marie Antoinette's "let them eat cake" (AKA horseshit in the street.)"

Worse, actually, since "let them eat cake" was a line from an actor playing Antoinette in a performance, rather than the actual Antoinette.

Blogger Azure Amaranthine November 15, 2019 5:05 PM  

"I must note that Scalia is a southern Italian. And I am a northerner."

I wish I had the kind of root volume that he has.

Blogger furor kek tonicus ( 9 of 10 Geneticists agree that Ann Coulter is my sister from another Mister. don't deny the IFLScience! ) November 15, 2019 6:14 PM  

Angelo Codevilla: Merit as defined by what?

David Samuels: I have no idea.

Angelo Codevilla: Merit as defined by what?

David Samuels: I have no idea.

Angelo Codevilla: Merit as defined by what?

David Samuels: I have no idea.

Angelo Codevilla: Merit as defined by what?

David Samuels: I have no idea.

Angelo Codevilla: Merit as defined by what?

David Samuels: I have no idea.

Angelo Codevilla: Merit as defined by what?

David Samuels: I have no idea.

Angelo Codevilla: Merit as defined by what?

David Samuels: I have no idea.

Angelo Codevilla: Merit as defined by what?

David Samuels: I have no idea.



this inbred cretin considers himself your superior.



6. Brett baker November 15, 2019 6:10 AM
All the money is gradually sucked up by the capital



Capital is Wealth. it may be inactive but IT DOES NOT SUCK UP THE WEALTH OF OTHERS.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+25%3A14-30&version=NRSV

you continue to mistake Debt and the fee of the Usurer for Capital.

Blogger Azure Amaranthine November 15, 2019 6:20 PM  

A: "Well, I don’t know about primary. Look, the primary element is, as we Christians were taught, pride. That is the sin of sins. There is nothing that moves human beings quite so much as the desire to be on top of other human beings."

D: "It’s interesting. I’m a Jew. But there are things that are lacking in our tradition, just as there are things that are very well developed in our tradition. You know, decent food can be lacking in our traditions."


Whoa. He's making an indirect statement, either saying that Christianity lacks the mechanisms/gall to utilize Pride, or saying that Judaism lacks emphatic warning against it. Somehow I doubt the latter.

Blogger Azure Amaranthine November 15, 2019 6:46 PM  

Anyone know what Codevilla was indicating in referring to The Romance of the Three Kingdoms in response to Samuels' comparison of Trump to a Chinese folklore demon king?

Blogger Snidely Whiplash November 15, 2019 6:56 PM  

furor kek tonicus ( 9 of 10 Geneticists agree that Ann Coulter is my sister from another Mister. don't deny the IFLScience! ) wrote:All the money is gradually sucked up by the capital

Capital is Wealth. it may be inactive but IT DOES NOT SUCK UP THE WEALTH OF OTHERS.

To Socialists and other Commies, Capital is a social class.

Blogger furor kek tonicus ( 9 of 10 Geneticists agree that Ann Coulter is my sister from another Mister. don't deny the IFLScience! ) November 15, 2019 7:43 PM  

no, Capital-ist or Bourgeoisie is the Marxist class which utilizes Capital / Wealth, which is capable of increase.

i would agree that Marxists/Usurers view the entire world as Zero Sum ... and thus, spend their entire lives trying to suck up the Wealth/Capital created or concentrated by others.

and i'm not particularly surprised that the Usurers attempt to make themselves the directors of the ( supposedly inevitable ) Proletarian war of genocidal elimination against the Bourgeoisie.

Jews have been genociding peoples for over 3000 years, according to the Old Testament.

Blogger 357Delta November 15, 2019 7:56 PM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger 357Delta November 15, 2019 7:57 PM  

Samuels is mocking him to his face about lecturing a Jew on pride, particulary since Angelo is dripping with pride.

Angelo in his pride completely missed the rebuke.

Blogger MEGAMUS Maximus November 15, 2019 8:37 PM  

The fact that the Kiwifarms cucks want to maintain the status quo brought into existence by said (((person))) is proof enough for me why all our enemies get to choose only between the rope or the bullet when the time comes. They made such a situation inevitable.

Blogger JamesB.BKK November 15, 2019 8:37 PM  

Capital is savings. Savers are sometimes referred to as hoarders by so-called anti capitalists but that is just in service of another planned heist.

Blogger spinoza November 15, 2019 9:09 PM  

JamesB.BKK wrote:Capital is savings. Savers are sometimes referred to as hoarders by so-called anti capitalists but that is just in service of another planned heist. Capital is any existential thing you want to call capital. What is not capital?

Blogger spinoza November 15, 2019 9:24 PM  

SciVo wrote:VD wrote:Forget that Smart Boy stuff. All you have to do now is wear a red baseball cap.

Of course you're right, but you're hurting my head. 20-25 years ago, mentioning him favorably was a good way to get labeled a Nazi. As much scorn as I have for the pseudo-intellectual clowns that they were, it is still hard to process how hard and fast they have fallen from their already-low perch.
What is called thinking is an evil book IMO I considered it leftist propaganda when I read the work he wrote with skepticism of his authenticity. Perhaps I was missing something and should reread.

Blogger John Rockwell November 16, 2019 3:20 AM  

Sadly stalin didnt purge them all in the Red Terror.

Blogger John Rockwell November 16, 2019 3:24 AM  

In the lake of fire there will be no kingdom. Only screaming agony.

Blogger John Rockwell November 16, 2019 3:29 AM  

Not to engage but allow them to walk off the cliff and self-destruct.

Blogger John Rockwell November 16, 2019 3:33 AM  

No. Only amalek and canaan qualified. Because of food shortage and idol worship. Directed commanded by God in cherem.

Genocide is otherwise prohibited.

Blogger Azure Amaranthine November 16, 2019 6:31 AM  

"Samuels is mocking him to his face about lecturing a Jew on pride, particulary since Angelo is dripping with pride."

No.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts