ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2019 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Sunday, March 29, 2020

Gamma, guaranteed

Then again, it was a moment that was beautiful in its own way:
Italy has been through hell and that moment was magical and raw and so very human.

However, the reason it was all of those beautiful things is that it happened organically, it came from the heart at a moment of desperation and maybe even some hopelessness. Those moments that come from such raw emotions are hard to recreate, even when the circumstances are similar.

A quarantined man in New York City discovered that the hard way when he tried to recreate that very magical moment by singing out his window.

However, instead of inspiring others to sing along, he was told to “shut the f*ck up!”
That New Yorker is like the little kid at the wedding who goes up to the microphone and repeats the same thing that someone else just said that got a laugh. Neither the kid nor the New Yorker has any understanding of why his predecessors inspired a response, he just sees the opportunity to try to make himself the center of attention.

It may sound strange to higher-ranking individuals, but gammas are constantly thinking about how they can somehow impress everyone, when they're not plotting revenge on those who inadvertently humiliated them in junior high, or stole the heart of their soul mate du jour, or called them out on YouTube, or.... you get the picture.

Labels:

61 Comments:

Blogger ScottC March 29, 2020 6:54 AM  

The problem is that these men can't win. If these guys didn't make an effort to be liked, they'd be despised for a different reason. They'd be told they lack ambition, lazy, asocial, don't do anything, etc. They don't have the social mojo to connect with other people, but if they gave up trying they'd soon find out what men are only valued for what they do. Guys like this used to he hermits.

Blogger VD March 29, 2020 7:04 AM  

The problem is that these men can't win.

That's not a problem. They can't win. They can't inspire others. They can't lead. They can't be in charge. So, instead of trying to achieve what they can never do, they ought to focus on what they can do. But the problem is, they want the attention and status that comes with being in charge.

The amusing thing is that if they do ever manage to take charge of anything, they inevitably screw it all up worse than everyone they ever criticized.

Blogger The Cooler March 29, 2020 7:29 AM  

Gamma or no, what could a New Yorker possibly sing out from his soul so as to unify and soothe similar, nearby souls...?

He should have went with Billy Joel's "Piano Man," I guess.

Blogger Brick Hardslab March 29, 2020 7:49 AM  

I don't remember as many gamma adults when I was a kid. In fact I'm thinking I saw only one adult gamma until I was in my twenties. What produces so many? Are we just seeing more because of the internet?

Blogger Shimshon March 29, 2020 7:51 AM  

It works in Italy, like it works in Israel (I've seen some similar domestic videos), probably because of a shared heritage and sense of community. Do both apply in this person's case? Attempting to replicate that by emulating one person's behavior in another setting is gamma.

Perhaps in another attempt, right now, I am forced to listen to incessant and very irritating ice cream truck music (it must be a universal music genre now recognized by all peoples) that has been playing since this morning (now 3pm local time). I don't know why, because there is a pretty strict quarantine in place here too. It can't be an actual truck. It doesn't move. Maybe an act of desperation?

Blogger Rakshasa March 29, 2020 7:58 AM  

Singing out a window sounds so cringy, especially in a place like New York. That guy was definitely a gamma.

Blogger Newscaper312 March 29, 2020 7:59 AM  

FWIW just now heard first Code Blue called over PA since I've got here Wednesday. At least that Ive heard.
Know way to know if Corona or something else of course.

Blogger Newscaper312 March 29, 2020 8:08 AM  

This like the instant version of the common enough phenomenon of the the guy who makes a show of repeating someone else at works new great joke but too late, after everyone has heard it or tired of it. First few spreaders can get a laugh. The try hard guy has crappy timing and is more likely to leave out credit to the source.
NYC would be Tommy Tune got burned on first attempt, too far from the original soil.

I suck at telling jokes, but am generally great at impromptu one liners or word twists. But its possible to try hard too.

Blogger Shimshon March 29, 2020 8:16 AM  

@4 I don't remember as many gamma adults when I was a kid. In fact I'm thinking I saw only one adult gamma until I was in my twenties. What produces so many? Are we just seeing more because of the internet?

They've always been around. But were closeted or relegated to nerdy jobs. It's been downhill ever since Revenge of the Nerds came out. All of a sudden, they felt strong and independent, like the women they wanted to fall in love with them. It was slow at first, then it snowballed. Don't worry, the pendulum always swings back.

Blogger Silent Draco March 29, 2020 8:26 AM  

Upper East Side ... well, maybe he needed to sing some songs from that comedy, "Fiddler on the Roof".

Blogger Emmanuel March 29, 2020 8:37 AM  

That's hilarious. What did he think he was on? A Disney musical? Not even celebrities could pull that off, and they at least pretend to be able to sing!

Blogger VD March 29, 2020 8:49 AM  

I suck at telling jokes, but am generally great at impromptu one liners or word twists.

Note: talking about yourself when no one is asking and it's not relevant to the context is a reliable gamma tell. You may wish to note this. What does that have to do with the subject at hand?

Blogger Dole March 29, 2020 8:52 AM  

It has gotten to the point where even the word "gamma" induces rage here. These people always find a way to get in the way of productive people.

One more reason to participate in this mostly gamma free space, peace and calm.

Blogger urthshu March 29, 2020 8:54 AM  

In NYC the equivalent to the balcony singing is probably something crass like sexting.

Blogger SouthRon March 29, 2020 8:54 AM  

The universal response to New Yorkers everywhere.

Blogger Rakshasa March 29, 2020 8:55 AM  

Obviously he was trying to go for a meta-joke.

Blogger Balkan Yankee March 29, 2020 9:01 AM  

@4: In the military, way back when, we used to call such types Legends in Their Own Minds.

Until I started reading this blog, I thought gamma was just the third letter of the Greek alphabet.

IMO: The reason we are seeing more gamma behavior these days is partly because of the Internet, which is the ultimate target rich environment.

The other reason is that the gamma personality concept/disorder is now well defined and increasingly entrenched in online culture.

Knowing what to look for is half the battle.

Blogger Brett baker March 29, 2020 9:06 AM  

Miami 2017 would probably be more appropriate, except for the date.

Blogger artensoll March 29, 2020 9:06 AM  

If only he'd gone with "Just One Cornetto". Whole different story.

Blogger Dole March 29, 2020 9:23 AM  

@2 What allowed the deltas to accept their position - move on with their lives - be honest, loved and liked?

I wish Trump cures the gamma after he is done with the virus. As more of a delta type, the gammas who pretend to leap above everyone else while putting zero effort into things are infuriating. They only get in the way, show up for credit, all while criticizing the leaders about how everything is done wrong...

Blogger Cataline Sergius March 29, 2020 9:24 AM  

One of my memories of the UK were the drunks happily singing together on the streets on their way home.

Singing together in public is something we lost in America somewhere in the late 20th century.

It really is a shame because having common songs that everyone knows the words to, is a reliable indicator of a society's health.

Does anybody know a kid under ten that knows the words to Buffalo Gals? Me either.

Blogger Damelon Brinn March 29, 2020 9:27 AM  

If these guys didn't make an effort to be liked, they'd be despised for a different reason.

Not if they didn't act like Gammas. They're despised because they're Gammas, not Gammas because they're despised.

Blogger Shimshon March 29, 2020 9:29 AM  

Updated for today: On the internet no one knows you're a dog. But everyone knows you're a gamma.

Blogger Jose Miguel March 29, 2020 9:41 AM  

@4:
Weak fathers, lack of a father figure also plays a role, as the young boy potentially starts copying behavior patterns from their mother.

Blogger Doktor Jeep March 29, 2020 9:41 AM  

In my time in Italy and Germany I noticed people on the local level have what could best be called a "shared reference".
So singing out the windows worked in Italy. Not NYC. But the response the singer got was the official response of that city. He's lucky he at least got it in English.
There is not going to be any singing, solidarity, or whatever in a polyglot diversihell on any account.
Speaking of SSH, it appears the less educated still base everything on the binary "Alpha Chad:Beta Simp" model.

Blogger Long Live The West March 29, 2020 9:43 AM  

Men are told to act like women. Women are told to act like men. The result? Lots of gammas and short haired know it alls.

Blogger Salt March 29, 2020 10:02 AM  

It wasn't Frank Sinatra with a mic singing New York, New York.

Blogger Johnny March 29, 2020 10:02 AM  

People who live around the Great Lakes region of the US where I live are more stoic then other populations in the US. If I broke out in song I would be regarded as certifiably nuts.

Blogger camcleat March 29, 2020 10:09 AM  

Brick Hardslab wrote:I don't remember as many gamma adults when I was a kid. In fact I'm thinking I saw only one adult gamma until I was in my twenties. What produces so many? Are we just seeing more because of the internet?

Could it be a general reduction in strong male role models for adolescent boys is a factor as well?

I've notice a lot more Mommy's Boyism among 12-18 years than compared to 20 or more years ago. It used to be something other teen boys relentlessly beat out of such boys with the help of masculine leaders, but not any more.

Now, the Mommy's are coddled as "strong independent women who know the *right way* to raise their sons." It's disgusting to witness.

Blogger thechortling March 29, 2020 10:10 AM  

he's just a poor boy from a poor family?

(spare him his life from this monstrosity)

Blogger Rockentowsky March 29, 2020 10:13 AM  

Speaking of attention seeking, here are some boomers dancing over pandemic & economic destruction. https://twitter.com/annastolz/status/1243673878058217478?s=19

Blogger Timmy3 March 29, 2020 10:34 AM  

He should have belted out Broadway hits or Rock n Roll. He sounds like he’s singing Italian although I wouldn’t mind “o solo mio”. It needs local flavor like “Luck Be a Lady”

Blogger Section 8A March 29, 2020 10:44 AM  

That video encapsulates how we deal with gammas here in NYC.

Next time he'll stay indoors.

Blogger RobertDWood March 29, 2020 10:48 AM  

Why more gammas?

More single moms 'raising' sons.

Remove the Father and you eliminate the man.

Blogger steb March 29, 2020 10:48 AM  

Shimshon wrote:I am forced to listen to incessant and very irritating ice cream truck music (it must be a universal music genre now recognized by all peoples) that has been playing since this morning (now 3pm local time). I don't know why, because there is a pretty strict quarantine in place here too. It can't be an actual truck. It doesn't move. Maybe an act of desperation?

Drug dealers, dude. Probably doing good business too.

Blogger FallenImmortal March 29, 2020 10:59 AM  

I was at Walmart last week and whistled Iron Man to entertain myself. I pause to catch my breath and a guy two aisles down was whistling where I left off. Me and another guy fist pounded in solidarity. It was awesome.

Blogger Doomfinger March 29, 2020 11:15 AM  

Maybe he should have tried a song by Metallica, or more appropriately, a song by GG Allin.

Blogger DarwinIsAHarshMistress March 29, 2020 11:19 AM  

What would Captain Ahab do?

Blogger Roddie Piper March 29, 2020 11:33 AM  

In the old days, an average guy could take a job that was within his abilities and marry an average girl. Not a pretty girl, but most girls back then had low dick counts, rudimentary cooking skills, and were thin by today's standards.

Now guys have to be superstars to get any sex at all, and their clownish, talentless desperation makes us all cringe.

Blogger Bellomy March 29, 2020 12:03 PM  

Okay but this story is hilarious

Blogger RandyB March 29, 2020 12:21 PM  

Gammas remind me of Kipling's Monkey People.

"Brother, thy tail hangs down behind."

Blogger VFM #7634 March 29, 2020 12:21 PM  

That's hilarious. What did he think he was on? A Disney musical? Not even celebrities could pull that off, and they at least pretend to be able to sing!

Yeah, he may be lambda rather than strictly gamma. (I say strictly gamma since lambda is, IMHO, gamma on steroids. Or something.)

Blogger maniacprovost March 29, 2020 12:27 PM  

gammas are constantly thinking about how they can somehow impress everyone

Well, they want attention. But let's say they are also trying to raise their social status or achieve social dominance. And acknowledge that many gammas, or deltas engaging in gamma behavior, do genuinely have above average intelligence or other talents. Some gammas are actually funny, etc. Here's the thing: even successfully showing off a genuine talent does not make you popular, and it definitely doesn't make you a leader. I can't claim to understand leadership that well, but people follow leaders who make them feel good, inspire them, and tell them what to do. People want to follow. People don't want their face rubbed in their own self doubts and feelings of inadequacy.

Blogger Shimshon March 29, 2020 12:35 PM  

steb wrote:Shimshon wrote:I am forced to listen to incessant and very irritating ice cream truck music (it must be a universal music genre now recognized by all peoples) that has been playing since this morning (now 3pm local time). I don't know why, because there is a pretty strict quarantine in place here too. It can't be an actual truck. It doesn't move. Maybe an act of desperation?

Drug dealers, dude. Probably doing good business too.


There are drugs where I live. But not dealers like that. Happily for my sanity, the music stopped soon after.

Blogger SacrificialLamb March 29, 2020 12:52 PM  

@4 [quote=Brick Hardslab]
I don't remember as many gamma adults when I was a kid. In fact I'm thinking I saw only one adult gamma until I was in my twenties. What produces so many? Are we just seeing more because of the internet?[/quote]

Internet culture is definitely making people more gamma. We're way more socially retarded now (collectively) than we were 30 years ago.

The "interconnectivity" of the Internet has made us more socially isolated than ever. Before the Internet, we HAD to interact with each other, face-to-face. If we wanted a date or if we wanted a job, then we had to learn how to deal with the awkwardness and complexity of face-to-face interactions. For centuries, we had no other choice. There were often immediate social consequences for being an awkwardly obnoxious malicious idiot, and that's how things always were, until.....now.

But it gets worse. We have more environmental carcinogens in our environment than ever, and these carcinogens are impairing our fertility and our cognitive function. We have more phytoestrogenic soy-filled processed food in our diets now than ever before.

We have glyphosate (a neurotoxin) from herbicides in our food, alcohol, and tobacco. We have fluoride (a neurotoxin) in our toothpaste and our tap water. We have mercury and aluminum (both neurotoxins) in our vaccines. And most importantly, let's not forget our greatly increased exposure to (EMF, RF, and microwave) radiation.

Compared to even 10 years ago, we're exposed to a lot more radiation now. Sources of radiation:

* cellphone towers
* microwave ovens
* cordless DECT phones
* smart TVs
* tablets/iPads
* smartphones
* laptops
* personal computers
* circuit breakers
* smart meters (old analog meters are healthier)
* electric cars
* cars made from 2005 to now (have more built-in electronics)
* motion sensors
* smoke detectors
* wifi/routers (insulated ethernet cables are healthier)
* bluetooth
* LED and CFL light bulbs (old incandescent bulbs are healthier)

I'm missing tons of stuff, but you get the picture. The human population is being deliberately exposed to levels of radiation that we never evolved to adapt to. This radiation is damaging our health, is making us dumber, and is reducing our fertility....which is all tied into what the U.N. calls "Agenda 21". If we go to....

http://www.antennasearch.com/

.....then you'll see that towers and antennas are omnipresent in any densely populated area.

I've noticed that people are way more emotionally brittle now (and maybe even a little dumber), then they were only 10 years ago. Men are less masculine, and women are less feminine. Do you remember people frequently talking about autism 15 or 20 years ago? I sure don't. The poisons in our food, water, and vaccines are already mentally impairing us in subtle ways.....but the perpetual exposure to multiple forms of radiation is making things worse. I can scarcely imagine what things will be like when our "glorious masters" roll out 5g. I'd bet we'll see even more gamma behavior by then.

Blogger Newscaper312 March 29, 2020 1:46 PM  

Noted, Vox.
Def know I have a good sized streak.

Blogger Jack Amok March 29, 2020 1:47 PM  

What allowed the deltas to accept their position - move on with their lives - be honest, loved and liked?

More opportunity to be successful in their own right - a decent job, a wife and a family, and respect from society for their contributions. One important aspect of Western Civilization is an agreement that the Alphas won't monopolize all the women and the Deltas won't destroy society. Feminism undermines that because the women all want Alphas and they're willing to share.

Blogger furor kek tonicus ( The Surprised Pig hadn't had any idea he tasted this good ) March 29, 2020 2:10 PM  

25. Doktor Jeep March 29, 2020 9:41 AM
a "shared reference".
So singing out the windows worked in Italy. Not NYC. But the response the singer got was the official response of that city. He's lucky he at least got it in English.



NYC is one of the most "multi-cultural" cities in the country. as you say, he's lucky he got told to shut up in English. how would he decide which language he should sing it in, much less which song most of them would accompany him too?

"America the Beautiful" or "Star Spangled Banner" would both probably be considered racist or something.

Blogger VD March 29, 2020 2:10 PM  

Here's the thing: even successfully showing off a genuine talent does not make you popular, and it definitely doesn't make you a leader.

Exactly. For example, some people can jump very high But imagine how much it would impress anyone if, at every possible opportunity, they showed off how high they could jump. Does anyone seriously believe they would become more popular as a result?

Somehow, gammas think that demonstrating their knowledge is intrinsically more attractive than demonstrating how high they can jump.

Blogger weka March 29, 2020 2:25 PM  

Being able to live in a basement

Blogger Akulkis March 29, 2020 2:42 PM  

> He should have went with Billy Joel's "Piano Man,"

A song in which the lyrics are profound in the depth of bleakness they present, with chords to match. And yet Joel tries to sing it as a song of celebration. But a celebration of what?

The every time I hear that song, it's even worse than the previous time I heard it.

Blogger Nihil Dicit March 29, 2020 4:48 PM  

I don't remember as many gamma adults when I was a kid. In fact I'm thinking I saw only one adult gamma until I was in my twenties. What produces so many? Are we just seeing more because of the internet?

Fewer and fewer people are actually growing up every year. It's the result of many factors, but the internet certainly does nothing to help the situation, even when it's no actively worsening it.

Blogger MichaelJMaier March 29, 2020 7:50 PM  

I can't believe that Eddie Murphy singing in COMING TO AMERICA didn't come to this person's mind beforehand....

Blogger Nihil Dicit March 29, 2020 8:09 PM  

I don't remember as many gamma adults when I was a kid. In fact I'm thinking I saw only one adult gamma until I was in my twenties. What produces so many? Are we just seeing more because of the internet?

Fewer and fewer people are actually growing up every year. It's the result of many factors, but the internet certainly does nothing to help the situation, even when it's no actively worsening it.

Blogger John Rockwell March 29, 2020 10:11 PM  

Gammas are fundamentally effeminate. God have mercy.

Blogger John Rockwell March 29, 2020 10:16 PM  

Shimshon wrote:@4 I don't remember as many gamma adults when I was a kid. In fact I'm thinking I saw only one adult gamma until I was in my twenties. What produces so many? Are we just seeing more because of the internet?

They've always been around. But were closeted or relegated to nerdy jobs. It's been downhill ever since Revenge of the Nerds came out. All of a sudden, they felt strong and independent, like the women they wanted to fall in love with them. It was slow at first, then it snowballed. Don't worry, the pendulum always swings back.


Even nerds in the past were pretty chad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjDD3e2x78M

Tesla was not Gamma either. Neither was Planck.

Blogger John Rockwell March 29, 2020 10:20 PM  

Longtime Lurker wrote:@4: In the military, way back when, we used to call such types Legends in Their Own Minds.

Until I started reading this blog, I thought gamma was just the third letter of the Greek alphabet.

IMO: The reason we are seeing more gamma behavior these days is partly because of the Internet, which is the ultimate target rich environment.

The other reason is that the gamma personality concept/disorder is now well defined and increasingly entrenched in online culture.

Knowing what to look for is half the battle.


"Legends in their own minds" are best placed as meat-shields.

Only taking the consequences may change their attitudes.

Blogger John Rockwell March 30, 2020 5:41 AM  

Just a question. Is Charisma synonymous with dominanr male behavior or game or are they different?

Blogger Mister Bill March 30, 2020 10:07 AM  

"gammas are constantly thinking about how they can somehow impress everyone, when they're not plotting revenge on those who inadvertently humiliated them"

This is perfectly exemplified by "Charlie X" - the second episode of the first season of the original Star Trek.

Another example of this pattern, which is dramatized to the beginning of recorded history...

Everyone I introduce to the SSH sees it instantly. Thanks Vox, you invented a solid tool.

Blogger SirHamster March 30, 2020 8:23 PM  

John Rockwell wrote:Just a question. Is Charisma synonymous with dominanr male behavior or game or are they different?
Women can be charismatic.

Charisma has to do with social attractiveness.

Dominant males have a kind of charisma, but not all charismatic people are dominant males.

Game has to do with being attractive to woman, so that is a smaller subset than charisma or dominant male behavior.

Blogger MrNiceguy March 31, 2020 4:30 PM  

Or anything from a Disney musical.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts