As my prediction of Obama's decision to refuse the Democratic nomination and retire to the global equivalent of the rubber chicken circuit looks less and less likely, a deep government insider emails me his outline of future events:
Sometime in the next four to six weeks (no less than four but no more than eight at the absolute outside):Color me dubious. Among other things, I don't see Democrats doing well in the state-wide elections. But if it is Biden who steps down, rather than Obama, we'll know the theory is in play. Also, the total ineptitude of Team Clinton during the 2008 campaign makes me doubt that they can pull off anything that is even more complicated than simply knowing what the rules of the nomination are. They might have the ruthlessness, but they don't have the necessary eye for detail.
1. VP Joe Biden announces that for health reasons, he is leaving the ticket -- not leaving office immediately, but to leave office at the end of his term.
2. After a huge, agonizing, public display of, "Oh God no! What ever will we do?" milked for at least a week of prime time and front-page media coverage and a whole lot of talking head blathering about the looming "Constitutional Crisis," Secretary of State Hillary Clinton reluctantly agrees to take the VP slot on the ticket.
3. Mitt Romney -- ah, who gives a shit what he does? Whatever it is, it will be pathetically ineffective, irrelevant, and a day late and a dollar short.
4. On November 6, 2012, propelled by the overwhelming power of the stupid black, white bitch, dumb college kid, and pussified liberal male vote, the Obama-Clinton ticket absolutely fucking steamrolls the Republicans, and brings along with it filibuster proof Democratic majorities in the Senate, House, and most state government assemblies.
5. Sometime between November 6, 2012, and January 20, 2013, some horrible truth about Obama is revealed -- pick one, it doesn't matter -- and all the built-up scandals finally come to a head and erupt in a massive public denunciation of the man. Eric Holder ends up being indicted and arrested by his own people. Team Obama goes to the mattresses in the White House but in the end, in mid-January, as Meet the Press is seriously discussing whether the Secret Service has the authority to arrest the President, the outcry becomes so massive that he must step down -- and turn the office over to VP Joe Biden.
6. Biden immediately does a "Night of the Long Knives" thing, purging all those corrupt Obamunists who were the cause of everything that's wrong with the country.
7. On January 20, 2013, with his place in history as America's 45th President assured, Biden is downright honored to turn the office over to the new President, Hillary Clinton, and the media rejoice at this triumph of the American electoral system, that our long national nightmare is behind us, and that freedom and justice have been restored.
8. Only much later do honest historians, if any still exist, realize that this was in fact a brilliantly executed Stalinist coup of the first order.