ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2020 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A vile taste in her mouth

Oh my. Anyhow, I found the angst of a fellow Hugo nominee who professes to oppose "award campaigns" to be somewhat amusing:
Let me be clear: Vox Day is a despicable person whose repeated racist, sexist, and homophobic behavior towards specific members of the genre community as well as the community as a whole should make all decent human beings recoil from his presence.  That I received my first Hugo nomination on the same ballot that bears his name leaves a vile taste in my mouth.  That the rest of the fiction ballot feels, as several people have noted, as if it's recapitulating the culture wars only makes this nomination worse, and confirms me in my feeling that the only people who benefit from award campaigns are those with large and devoted fanbases--whether those fanbases are motivated by love of a particular writer, or the desire to stick it to the lefties (or, as is most likely, both).
- Abigail Nussbaum, April 20
Or at least, she opposes them when she isn't successfully running one of her own, or pimping out the "dozens" of others by various would-be nominees:
Even as the award eligibility phenomenon gains steam (and respectability), more and more people are also using the internet to create a more broadly informed voter base.  Dozens of people are posting their Hugo ballots and recommendations (to take a by no means exhaustive sample: Nina Allan, Thea and Ana at The Book Smugglers, Liz Bourke (1, 2, 3, 4), the bloggers of LadyBusiness, Justin Landon, Martin Lewis, Jonathan McCalmont (1, 2), Aidan Moher, Mari Ness, Ian Sales, Jared Shurin, Rachel Swirsky (1, 2, 3), Adam Whitehead).  Blogs like Hugo Award Eligible Art(ists) seek to inform people (like myself) who have little grounding in the category, and make them acquainted with worthwhile nominees.  Existing projects like Writertopia's Campbell award eligibility page collate information that makes it easier to nominate for an award whose eligibility requirements can seem tricky even if you're an old hand at this Hugo stuff.  If you're someone who is interested in voting as more than a single author's fan, it has never been easier to gain a broad appreciation of the field and its practitioners, even the ones who aren't superstars.

I still don't know whether award eligibility posts are part of the problem or simply a ineffective distraction.  I do think that the efforts I've been seeing in the last two months have a real chance of being part of the solution, and I mean to join in.  In the next few weeks, I'll be posting my own Hugo ballot, a few categories at a time.  (I'll also be posting links to works that I consider worthwhile on my twitter account.)
- Abigail Nussbaum, March 6
The ironic thing about the complaints that Larry and I somehow bought our nominations is that while my massive and energetic campaign consisted of a single and straightforward post, a blogger at Tor.com actively waged a successful cheerleading effort on behalf of the Tor-published Wheel of Time series:
Therefore, O my Peeps, I exhort you: if you can and will, please consider nominating the Wheel of Time series as a whole for the Hugo Award for Best Novel, and spread the word so that others might do the same.... So go! Join! Nominate! Vote! Participate! And maybe help make Hugo history, eh? I can think of worse things to do with your time!
Of course, the Dread Ilk know my actual position on liberals giving awards to each other:
Everyone has different goals. Rabbits need the group affirmation that these sorts of political awards offer them. Not-rabbits don't. Psykosonik once beat out Prince for Best Dance Record at the Minnesota Music Awards for a song I wrote; I didn't know we'd won until months later because not only did I not bother going to the ceremony, my bandmates who attended didn't even see fit to mention that we won because they knew I didn't care. I didn't even know I had been a three-time Billboard top 40 recording artist for about 16 years until I looked it up a few months ago when I was pointing out the dirty laundry of  the "New York Times bestselling" authors.

When you are fortunate enough to experience success, you learn to value certain aspects of it and to disvalue others.  My objective is to write a great epic fantasy series that is capable of creating the same feeling in its readers that Dune once created in me. That's why I simply laugh when people claim I'm jealous of McRapey, or I'm imitating George Martin, or my feelings are wounded that A Throne of Bones wasn't nominated for any awards.*  Because in the game I'm playing, those things don't even enter into it. They're not relevant to my metric for success.
That being said, I have thoroughly enjoyed being nominated for the Hugo this year and I sincerely hope that this is merely the first of many such nominations for me and other fine writers upon whom the rabbits gaze upon in terror. I am very much looking forward to attending WorldCon this year and spending lots of quality time with my fellow Hugo nominees there, such as Mr. Charles Stross, who writes: "As a matter of policy I do not talk down/diss Hugo nominees when I myself am on the shortlist. But I shall be waiting for Vox Day in the Hugo Losers Party wearing a kilt and a shit-eating grin, with a bottle of 90-proof distilled schadenfreude that's got his name on it."

I don't know. Sounds a little rape-culturey to me. For a nice roundup of the rabbits striking various poses and feeling the heat, check out Far Beyond Reality. And since it's starting to get boring, I think that's enough about the Hugo Awards for now until I'm able to read through the packet and decide for whom I'll be voting.

*As it happens, the book was nominated for the 2013 Clive Staples Award.

Labels: ,

189 Comments:

Anonymous JW April 23, 2014 1:11 PM  

Hey! Can any of the ilk volunteer to also leave a vile taste in her mouth?

Anonymous Anonymous April 23, 2014 1:14 PM  

Well, I for one had been thinking of a first-time-ever voting package mainly to pick up a complete WoT set, and kicking sand around their silly little playground as a bonus ...

... but finding out that doing so also lets me vote in NEXT year's nominations, as I'd managed to miss so far, oh I think that just pushed the amusement potential here WAY past $40.

Blogger Subversive Saint April 23, 2014 1:17 PM  

"Schadenfreude" goes down smooth with a side of smug.

Blogger Subversive Saint April 23, 2014 1:18 PM  

"Shadenfreude" when Jack Daniels just won't help with the pain.

Anonymous H April 23, 2014 1:19 PM  

I rean and enjoyed the short story The Last Witchking. Are there any other stories that go into the background history of the witchkings, or any stories that further the narrative so we see what happens with the "children"?

Blogger Joshua_D April 23, 2014 1:20 PM  

Bwaaaaahaaaaahaaaaaa! What a bunch of women.

Anonymous Androsynth April 23, 2014 1:21 PM  

"Mr. Charles Stross, who writes: "As a matter of policy I do not talk down/diss Hugo nominees when I myself am on the shortlist. But I shall be waiting for Vox Day in the Hugo Losers Party wearing a kilt and a shit-eating grin, with a bottle of 90-proof distilled schadenfreude that's got his name on it."

As if not winning the Hugo is anywhere near as embarrassing as these children flailing around like a high school clique complaining that an unpopular girl got nominated for Prom Queen.

They're utterly blind to how pathetic they're being, and to the fact that the adults in the room are experiencing schadenfreude observing their antics, because the only value to winning the award they're hyperventilating about is that it would make them flail and spasm even harder.

I'm a long time fantasy and science fiction fan and I'd never even heard of WorldCon or the Hugos until Correia posted about them this year.

Anonymous Don April 23, 2014 1:21 PM  

Sounds like somebody is building his 'rape kit'. If you guys do wind up in the same room I wouldn't take any drinks from an admitted rapist.

Blogger Markku April 23, 2014 1:21 PM  

H: Yes, read Qalabi Dawn from The Wardog's Coin Not free, but on discount right now.

Anonymous Androsynth April 23, 2014 1:22 PM  

I rean and enjoyed the short story The Last Witchking. Are there any other stories that go into the background history of the witchkings, or any stories that further the narrative so we see what happens with the "children"?

The wolf children or the cat children? Either way, yes.

Blogger George April 23, 2014 1:24 PM  

I am just imaging the reaction in the Hall at WorldCon if Vox and Larry win. If I could only be sure someone was filming it, I would happily spend $40 to make it occur.

Blogger Markku April 23, 2014 1:24 PM  

For the wolf children, you're going to have to dive into A Throne of Bones itself.

Blogger George April 23, 2014 1:25 PM  

I am just imaging the reaction in the Hall at WorldCon if Vox and Larry win. If I could only be sure someone was filming it, I would happily spend $40 to make it occur.

Anonymous Harold Carper April 23, 2014 1:25 PM  

@JW Can any of the ilk volunteer to also leave a vile taste in her mouth?

I've seen a picture, so... no.

Anonymous VD April 23, 2014 1:25 PM  

Are there any other stories that go into the background history of the witchkings, or any stories that further the narrative so we see what happens with the "children"?

Yes, both TWC and SE feature them. Not so much in ATOB, but there is more in Book Two.

Blogger Tommy Hass April 23, 2014 1:27 PM  

"As if not winning the Hugo is anywhere near as embarrassing as these children flailing around like a high school clique complaining that an unpopular girl got nominated for Prom Queen.

They're utterly blind to how pathetic they're being, and to the fact that the adults in the room are experiencing schadenfreude observing their antics, because the only value to winning the award they're hyperventilating about is that it would make them flail and spasm even harder."

Agree.

It's shocking how presumably growm men and women who are probably older than 30 still act like this. What's more, the hatred they have inside for Vox, because he dared to call that darkie a savage. As if being the loser in international Darwinism somehow entitles you to special privileges.

I'd say that 100 Vox's wouldn't approach one of them in terms of hatred harbored.

Anonymous Harold Carper April 23, 2014 1:27 PM  

See how tolerant and open minded I am? I didn't even consider her political or religious views in making that decision.

Anonymous aviendha April 23, 2014 1:27 PM  

Bah Worldcon is in London this year. I'll never get my book signed...

Anonymous Unicorn Dick April 23, 2014 1:28 PM  

Speaking of reading the packet... have you read some of the pretentious shit in the short story category? They are all online for free if you do a search for them. You can read through them all in about 90 minutes. The stories from Chu and Heuvelt are at least readable. If you want a chuckle read the Swirsky nomination.

Anonymous aviendha April 23, 2014 1:29 PM  

But next year it is in Spokane, Washington! Are you coming to that one Vox? :P

Anonymous Josh April 23, 2014 1:33 PM  

Dude if you really are going to attend world con there's a chance that the angst will reach critical mass and they'll cancel the entire convention lest their sacred safe spaces be threatened.

Anonymous Alexander April 23, 2014 1:34 PM  

Hmm, from the Hugo webpage. Is this new? How does Wheel of Time not break this rule?

* Note that series as a whole are not eligible. For instance, an episode in a TV show may be eligible, but the TV show itself is not. Sequences of comics that form a story arc or volume may be eligible, but the comic series itself is not.

Blogger Marissa April 23, 2014 1:36 PM  

It's shocking how presumably growm men and women who are probably older than 30 still act like this.

Yes, Mr. Stross is 49. He looks to be unmarried and childless. Maybe his joys in life come from seeing his enemy lose a fan-based award.

Anonymous Anonymous April 23, 2014 1:39 PM  

> How does Wheel of Time not break this rule?

Because the whole thing is one arc. For a somewhat ludicrous definition of 'arc', but still.

Anonymous C. Ross April 23, 2014 1:42 PM  

Isn't vox married with children.

From what I understand lots of his detractors are childless and are not in a meaningful relationship.

That would explain an awful lot.

Anonymous JS123 April 23, 2014 1:43 PM  

God political correctness ruins everything. These puritanical nuts can not have an aesthetic experience without filtering it through their politics. Don't artists despise having to shape their art to suit political dogma? Aren't they getting sick of having all art have to conform to dogma? Aren't they fed up with having to have all characters written for their ability to fit through the PC thought police? It must be getting exhausting for artists to have to consider how each thing they create will please the PC inquisition.

Anonymous dh April 23, 2014 1:43 PM  

JS has started his step to it. We have the facts:

1. JS has to tell people that what you did is not bad, because he has famously done a far more extensive job promoting his own Hugo nominations. Far, far, far more extensive. So ipso facto, what he does must be not bad.

2. JS, in telling people what you did was not bad, is now suffering the whithering criticism from feminists who are using his own "easiest setting mode" to justify not only not reading the nominated work (because words make them physically sick), but also, just being appalled by the suggestion that he, as an easiest setting mode person, ask them, hard setting persons, to actually read something they are supposed to be voting on. JS has posted links to the criticism (well, about 1/10 of it), and feebly invited readers to disagree with him, but infamously disabled comments on his post.

Black knighting is going to kill JS. He is dancing through a landmine, unaware that he is going to have to contort himself one too many times to avoid stepping on a feminist landmine.

Anonymous the bandit April 23, 2014 1:46 PM  

I'm skimming through the list of reactions, and there's a contingent making the argument that objectivity shouldn't enter into the award selection because it might end up with a non-preferred result.

You could say I'm slow (but I will say I just find rabbit-think so alien), but only yesterday I realized how much entertainment this is going to provide. And now I can see the amusement factor shall explode, one way or another, at WorldCon.

See that? I just made a terrorist threat.

Anonymous Bah April 23, 2014 1:46 PM  

Charles Stross, who writes: "As a matter of policy I do not talk down/diss Hugo nominees when I myself am on the shortlist. But I shall be waiting for Vox Day in the Hugo Losers Party wearing a kilt and a shit-eating grin, with a bottle of 90-proof distilled schadenfreude that's got his name on it."

To my knowledge, VD has never said anything but nice things about Stross, and has publicly praised his work and encouraged people to read it.

Therefore, Stross saying this makes him seem like a real dick.

Anonymous Daniel April 23, 2014 1:47 PM  

H, just buy the new edition of Summa Elvetica: it has all the stories (plus a few not otherwise available) in the back, and you won't be disappointed.

Anonymous Bah April 23, 2014 1:47 PM  

there's a contingent making the argument that objectivity shouldn't enter into the award selection because it might end up with a non-preferred result.

Which is pretty much the Left's approach to EVERYTHING -- from college admissions, to elections of any kind, to global warming "science"...

Blogger Markku April 23, 2014 1:48 PM  

Haha, you're exactly right, dh. The thing to do now is to go provoke the feminists. To point out in the most gentle, concern-trollish way that John Scalzi is telling them to read the book, or else shut their mouths, and they should listen to Scalzi for his easiest setting analogy inventing credentials. Let's Hugo Schwyzer the hell out of him!

Anonymous Josh April 23, 2014 1:48 PM  

And we haven't even gotten to the part where the tranny activists start attacking JS for mocking them by cross dressing and posing in photo shoots.

When that part happens, it's going to be even more awesome than it already is.

Anonymous Alexander April 23, 2014 1:49 PM  

Nussbaum's got herself some gems in the comments. My favorite is where someone suggests that if she feels that strongly about it, she ought to make the principled point of taking her name out of the running.

But then it's quickly pointed out that things aren't done on principal, or rather principal should be discarded because "it's really important to her" (point: this is not Nussbaum's response).

If only they had thought about that at Nuremberg! "Sure, being an SS officer left a vile taste in my mouth, but the shiny ribbons were very important to me..."

Anonymous Don April 23, 2014 1:49 PM  

Now I feel like a dick. I thought it was the admitted rapist who made that kind of rapey remark. Sorry Charlie. I was a wrong.

Anonymous Don April 23, 2014 1:51 PM  

If I buy a membership now do I get to vote for this year or only next year? Because I can wait until Christmas and treat myself if it is too late.

Anonymous Alexander April 23, 2014 1:53 PM  

Well, I'm in. $40 dollars for all of Wheel, a chance to hop aboard this trainwreck all the way to shitstorm station, and a glance at the state of pink SF w/o putting money in their pockets. Most excellent.

Blogger JartStar April 23, 2014 1:53 PM  

Black knighting is going to kill JS. He is dancing through a landmine, unaware that he is going to have to contort himself one too many times to avoid stepping on a feminist landmine.

I wonder if at some point he will try to leave his current warren and head to the Baen warren since he's been trying to play nice with them.

Anonymous Rico April 23, 2014 1:53 PM  

"Leaves a vile taste in my mouth"

Too easy.

Vox, how would you rate Opera Vitae? I found it okay but somewhat of a let down compared to the short stories in the back of Summa. Would you say it compares well with most of the short stories in the industry today? The only past novelette winner im familiar with, though I could be wrong about it winning,is The Mountains of Morning by Bujold. In comparison Opera kind of sucked. What would you say makes for a truly compelling novelette?

Blogger Markku April 23, 2014 1:56 PM  

I somewhat agree: Opera doesn't work nearly as well on its own, as it does as a contrast to the general darkness of TLW.

Anonymous Zippy April 23, 2014 2:00 PM  

I just bought a supporting membership, partly because of the whole controversy. I am NOT promising to vote for Vox -- I will read all of the nominees and vote for the best story. Period.

The only exception to that is that I am not going to read the entire Wheel of Time series, and I think its nomination is absurd. That's the real scandal. Come on. It just isn't a "novel." It's a series.

And for anybody who doesn't think we are a diminished race, look at the retro-Hugo nominees:

Carson of Venus, by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Galactic Patrol, by E.E. "Doc" Smith

The Legion of Time, by Jack Williamson

Out of the Silent Planet, by C.S. Lewis

and The Sword in the Stone by T. H. White.

Wow! Any ONE of them beats the stuffing out of this year's nominees.

I will reread them all just to be sure, but as of now, I'm voting for Galactic Patrol.

Anonymous joe doakes April 23, 2014 2:01 PM  

All decent people recoil from your presence? Cool image for a campaign video. Get someone to film you carrying your book while walking through parting crowds, as if you were Moses carrying the 10 Commandments and parting the Red Sea.

Anonymous Josh April 23, 2014 2:01 PM  

I think witch king is probably the best of the selenoth shorts. I liked opera a lot, but can definitely see why others dislike it. And not just because of the theology discussion. Opera is a very unusual story. The way it's structured reminds me of foundation (lots of taking, action happens off scene).

Anonymous Don April 23, 2014 2:04 PM  

Markku - I felt Opera was in a way a mirror of Summa but you don't have to read Summa to appreciate it. It is great on it's own but like you said it is better appreciated like lighting a candle in a dark room.

Anonymous Stg58/Animal Mother April 23, 2014 2:06 PM  

Clearing out Worldcon would be pretty easy. An icy stare alternated with a wolfish grin would give most of them the vapors and cause a rush for the exits.

What if Vox and Christopher Lee showed up together?

Anonymous Joe Doakes April 23, 2014 2:06 PM  

By the way, the crowd shots in that video should be reflective of the Pink Wing of SFWA, the Rabbit People who find you so vile. I suspect you can't find that many fat, ugly, single women in Italy but for a couple hundred bucks worth of Twinkies, you could probably hire the entire customer base of our local Wal-Mart.

Blogger Bogey April 23, 2014 2:06 PM  

As a side note here you may have missed it but they are also awarding the Retro Hugos for the year 1939, and a personal favorite of mine is being nominated, "Who Goes There?" by John W. Campbell. It is the story that The Thing from Another World and John Carpenter's Thing are based on, and along with A.E. Van Vogt's "Black Destroyer" must be the most oft ripped off stories in all of science fiction (at least in film).

Anonymous H April 23, 2014 2:07 PM  

Thanks everyone. All these years I thought I had to own a Kindle to read these eBooks but recently I found out I can just read them on my computer. Still, hitting the arrow key to turn a page feels a bit weird compared to physically turning a page.

Blogger Markku April 23, 2014 2:13 PM  

For anyone reading from a computer display, I recommend finding out how to turn the background gray instead of white. At least Kindle for PC has a setting for this.

Initially it will look weird, but soon your eyes will get fooled into thinking it's white, and it causes much less strain on your eyes.

Anonymous WaterBoy April 23, 2014 2:15 PM  

Vox: "I am very much looking forward to attending WorldCon this year and spending lots of quality time with my fellow Hugo nominees there..."

Do be sure to enter the Main Hall amidst the strains of the Imperial March emanating from a large ghetto blaster perched atop your shoulder.

That would surely bring a tear to my eye.

Blogger Markku April 23, 2014 2:16 PM  

...fooled for the same reason as why you'll recognize a white object as white in dim light, even though the actual amount of light scattered from it would imply gray. The brain takes the brightest color it has seen in a while, and treats it as white.

Blogger Bogey April 23, 2014 2:19 PM  

...are you really going Vox? This thing just got a whole lot more interesting if you are.

Anonymous StonerCat April 23, 2014 2:22 PM  

The brain takes the brightest color it has seen in a while, and treats it as white.

Obviously, the brain is raciss.

Anonymous Jeanne April 23, 2014 2:23 PM  

I will living about a day's drive from Spokane, Washington very soon. I think I too shall join World Con so I can vote for next year's nominations. In fact, I'll just pay the full price in case I decide to attend next year. It may prove an entertaining event... :)

So joining now allows you to vote on this year's nominees too? Well, I guess I have always wanted to read WoT despite all the negative things I have heard about it...

Anonymous Josh April 23, 2014 2:24 PM  

Obviously worldcon should not be the proper venue for the first Ilkmoot, for the simple reason that if we all got together in London we would wind up accidentally occupying Paris.

Blogger Nate April 23, 2014 2:25 PM  

boring??? its starting to get boring???? They are just now starting to turn on each other. This is the fun part!

Anonymous Stg58/Animal Mother April 23, 2014 2:29 PM  

Ok. Vox, Christopher Lee and the Imperial March. Or Lee's latest, Charlemagne.

Anonymous Alexander April 23, 2014 2:30 PM  

Josh,

Afraid not. I believe that many Ilk in London would cause concern not so much in Paris proper as the bon-lieus. Or Toulouse.

The average (and actual) Frenchman would probably welcome us.

Anonymous Josh April 23, 2014 2:30 PM  

I agree with Nate.

Watching the rabbits attack each other is awesome.

I give McRapey threw months before he gets kicked out of the Warren.

Anonymous Stg58/Animal Mother April 23, 2014 2:33 PM  

Alexander,

The Frenchwomen would definitely welcome us. Me anyway. Maybe Nate too.

Anonymous Josh April 23, 2014 2:36 PM  

French chicks are hot

Anonymous Zion's Paladin April 23, 2014 2:41 PM  

Clearing out Worldcon would be pretty easy. An icy stare alternated with a wolfish grin would give most of them the vapors and cause a rush for the exits.

What if Vox and Christopher Lee showed up together?


Not sure if Vox can pull off the Darth Sidious look. Maul or Vader on the other hand...

Do be sure to enter the Main Hall amidst the strains of the Imperial March emanating from a large ghetto blaster perched atop your shoulder.

"I sense a great disturbance in the Force...as if thousands of SF fans cried out in rage that one of their hated enemies was using something they liked..."

I would hope, if Vox does that, that there would be a video of it.

Anonymous Josh April 23, 2014 2:42 PM  

French chicks are hot. I present Eva Green as a data point.

Anonymous cheddarman April 23, 2014 2:42 PM  

Vox,

you may have magical powers if you can elicit physiological responses in people over great distances...award winning cruelty artistry has just been elevated to a new height

most sincerely,

cheddarman

Anonymous Ostar April 23, 2014 2:43 PM  

Bogey
As a side note here you may have missed it but they are also awarding the Retro Hugos for the year 1939, and a personal favorite of mine is being nominated, "Who Goes There?" by John W. Campbell.

“Pigeons From Hell”, Robert E. Howard is in for the 1939 Best Novelette. That is one of the greatest horror stories ever written, scaring my 15yr old self in broad daylight while surrounded by people. It may be worth $40 just to vote for that...

Anonymous VD April 23, 2014 2:43 PM  

Vox, how would you rate Opera Vitae?

I think it is easily the best thing I'd written prior to The Deported and The Logfile. As some have mentioned, it works better in contrast with The Last Witchking, which in fact is precisely why I wrote it. But it's clear that some people respond to the friendship and religious elements much more strongly than others.

Anonymous Idle Spectator, Three-Time Award Winning Cruelty Artist, and esteemed recipient of the Voxian Silver Cross for Freedom of Wit April 23, 2014 2:44 PM  

It is a crying shame they can't get real awards.

Anonymous Josh April 23, 2014 2:50 PM  

How long did it take you to write?

Blogger paul a'barge April 23, 2014 2:53 PM  

Abigail Nussbaum? Did someone say Abigail Nussbaum?

Well, http://lareviewofbooks.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/1359837661.jpg

"vile taste" indeed.

Anonymous Idle Spectator April 23, 2014 2:55 PM  

How long did it take you to write?

Jokes on you. I wrote it with my penis. Oh yeahhhhh.

Anonymous Harsh April 23, 2014 2:58 PM  

Jokes on you. I wrote it with my penis. Oh yeahhhhh.

The penis mightier...

Blogger Brad Andrews April 23, 2014 2:58 PM  

Can you get the whole Wheel of Time for $40? It would cost a fortune on the Kindle buying each book. Not sure I would ever read it though, so it may not even be worth $40.

Anonymous VD April 23, 2014 3:03 PM  

How long did it take you to write?

Not long. About a week, if I recall.

Can you get the whole Wheel of Time for $40

You do, yes.

Anonymous Alexander April 23, 2014 3:07 PM  

To sum up, $40 gets you:

- Final voting this year
- Nominations next year
- All of WoT
- Vox's story (for those who don't already have it)
- Larry's book, and presumably a few other blue CF nominations(?)
- A peek into the enemy camp without having to pay them for it.

Blogger Brad Andrews April 23, 2014 3:10 PM  

Printed or electronic copy? I would prefer the latter these days.

Anonymous Jeanne April 23, 2014 3:12 PM  

I just bought a supporting membership for LONCON 3, which I will just upgrade next year to be able to have the option to attend SASQUAN.

One benefit to the children getting older is the extra free time I have now. Gives me a chance to read a lot more than I usually do. I guess it's time I get even more caught up on the Sci-Fi and Fantasy world than I currently am... ;)

Blogger Marissa April 23, 2014 3:14 PM  

HOLY COW!!! Look what else you get!!!

Current Theatrics, a theatre company based in Las Vegas and New York, will bring 15 characters and a 400-page time travel novel to life in a high-octane theatrical adaptation of the Philip K Dick Award-winning novel The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers at Loncon 3 in August.

I don't care if it's not great, I get to see a Tim Powers novel acted out on stage!

Anonymous Alexander April 23, 2014 3:15 PM  

Heh - the Scalzi 'rebuttals' are great.

It's so strange. Wasn't the left oh-so-concerned about the internet because it meant that right wing morons would go into their safe little bubbles and only get the news they wanted. Wasn't this just oh so horrible?

Now we're hearing about how it's right and proper to not associate in any way with things you don't agree with. Reading badthink is bad!

Blogger Markku April 23, 2014 3:15 PM  

The wabbits must be pretty scared to be so gleeful about the No Award option, because it doesn't really have any effect except if Vox would have actually won the Hugo otherwise, but then got denied by too many No Awards.

Anonymous aviendha April 23, 2014 3:17 PM  

Damn seriously considering the loncon supporter pack. All the WoT hate on this blog and it has turned into the #1 reason to join... (=

Strange I'd expect folks here to have some googlefu. If I buy a book I want to "support" the author either in rankings, financially, or both. I kind of doubt the authors see a penny of the "supporter fee" towards their hugo book submissions.

Anonymous Harsh April 23, 2014 3:21 PM  

A.E. Van Vogt's "Black Destroyer" must be the most oft ripped off stories in all of science fiction (at least in film).

Ridley Scott only steals from the best.

Anonymous Stg58/Animal Mother April 23, 2014 3:24 PM  

Which Ridley Scott film? Alien?

Anonymous Alexander April 23, 2014 3:24 PM  

Yes, we're aware of that. In the vast majority of cases, I'm calling that a plus.

I haven't read Vox's story yet, but I'm pretty sure it's already bought and sitting on my computer, and if not I'll end up buying it anyway. But Vox routinely gives his books away on the cheap/free - in so far as he cares about this, I suspect he gets more enjoyment at the thought of hoards of ilk destroying the 'your just a small, sad, extreme minority of people' argument and leaving it dead and buried.

As for WoT. I've never been fussed about it, but if it's literally going to be given to me... eh, why not?

Anonymous AmyJ April 23, 2014 3:40 PM  

She's up for "best fan writer". Pardon my ignorance, but what is that?

Blogger Russell April 23, 2014 3:47 PM  

I just checked my reviews on Amazon for Vox's books. Every single one has been marked as not helpful by one person. I laughed.

Vox is over the target if even nobodies like me are getting flack for merely liking his stuff and venturing an opinion stating that.

Needless to say, I just reviewed AMD. It's positive because I liked the book. Which makes me another Hatey Von Haterson, leaving vile tastes in other people's mouths.

The power is intoxicating.

Anonymous G April 23, 2014 3:50 PM  

Vox: What would you say to the question that Hispanics/Latios are not a "race" -- that they are not "coloured" but just a kind of white person? What is your response to this?

Anonymous VD April 23, 2014 3:55 PM  

The wabbits must be pretty scared to be so gleeful about the No Award option, because it doesn't really have any effect except if Vox would have actually won the Hugo otherwise, but then got denied by too many No Awards.

Well, you're forgetting the joy of pointing out that I finished sixth in a five-man race. Which actually would be pretty funny. I think it would have to go into my Amazon bio. I think that would actually be the third-best option after a) me winning, and b) Brad winning. Finishing fourth would be the most boring result.

What would you say to the question that Hispanics/Latios are not a "race" -- that they are not "coloured" but just a kind of white person?

I would say that I'll be interested to see your obvious next step of trying to deny that Asians are a race.

Anonymous dh April 23, 2014 3:58 PM  

VD--

No, the "No Award" would be better because it would deny the Puppetmaster her Hugo. If you are going to lose, you might as make sure that even rabbit-approved authors lose.

In fact, I suggest getting nominated in each category each year, and forcing them to continually "No Award" so that the Hugo dies the death it so richly deserves. A few years with "No Award" and it will be over.

Blogger Markku April 23, 2014 3:59 PM  

Hispanic and Latino isn't a race per se, but IIRC his ancestry is from Mexico, which means mestizo.

Blogger Markku April 23, 2014 4:01 PM  

No, the "No Award" would be better because it would deny the Puppetmaster her Hugo.

Nope, the system is more complex than that. You can specifically apply No Award to certain writers and not the others. If one of the others would potentially win, then that ballot's No Award doesn't affect it.

Blogger Markku April 23, 2014 4:05 PM  

And to my surprise, a quick glance at Wikipedia reveals that there is such a thing as white hispanic. Mexicans aren't them, but they do exist as a proper description. Because "hispanic" only refers to your linguistic background. If your genetic background is caucasian, then you are white hispanic.

Now, did we ever hear about a white hispanic before the media was denied their Great White Suspect? No. But it does exist.

Anonymous Jeanne April 23, 2014 4:07 PM  

I am not entirely familiar with how the "No Award" option works... I shall need to research it more fully... since I am now a voting member and all. ;)

Blogger Markku April 23, 2014 4:10 PM  

In short, when you vote for No Award at a certain position, then No Award is applied to everyone you wrote under that position, should they potentially win otherwise. If at the final stage when it's just about one person winning or nobody winning, more people have placed the potential winner below No Award in their ballot than those who voted for him, then nobody wins.

Anonymous bob k. mando April 23, 2014 4:11 PM  

Markku April 23, 2014 2:13 PM
and it causes much less strain on your eyes.



best for eyestrain is to invert the page so letters are white and background is black.

your monitor is an active source, use it to it's best advantage. don't just keep trying to set reading preferences to stuff you've been using all your life because of the limitations of ink on paper.

black/white inversion should also prolong battery life on most e-readers.

Anonymous Tard Bird April 23, 2014 4:12 PM  

Now, did we ever hear about a white hispanic (sic) before the media was denied their Great White Suspect? No.

Of course we have. Otherwise why would you have the “White Non-Hispanic” category on applications/census/etc... It’s also funny to hear people refer to Hispanics as not being of European stock (Vox, looking at you!). Where’s Spain again?

Anonymous Alexander April 23, 2014 4:15 PM  

Scalzi is an enormous coward.

"I'm not trying to be "the voice of reason" with regard to the Hugos. These are my views; disagree if you like. I COULD BE WRONG"

What a weasel. The thing he 'could be wrong' about is basing literature on its merits. As if objective truth is, in itself, something one 'could be wrong about'. He is willing to hedge on a fundamental concept in order to avoid being kicked from the club.

Though saying that, one could use this:

All people are born with certain, inalienable rights... BUT WE COULD BE WRONG.

All men are created equal... BUT WE COULD BE WRONG.

Every people have a right to a homeland... BUT WE COULD BE WRONG.

Anonymous G April 23, 2014 4:17 PM  

Tim Hall ‏@Kalyr
"Vox Day, by his own admission, is not a Christian."

https://twitter.com/Kalyr/status/458723555908550656

Blogger Markku April 23, 2014 4:18 PM  

Of course we have.

Of course "media" was part of the context, even though it wasn't at the beginning of the sentence. Over here you can expect a bit of reading comprehension, and then just ignore the minority that doesn't have it. And it was very polite of you to warn of it in your screen name, too.

Blogger James Dixon April 23, 2014 4:20 PM  

> Vox: What would you say to the question that Hispanics/Latios are not a "race" -- that they are not "coloured" but just a kind of white person? What is your response to this?

That while hispanics are, in fact, not a race; the majority of Hispanics are not white. And that the relationsship between hispanic and latino is not one to one.

Anonymous Tard Bird April 23, 2014 4:25 PM  

Of course "media" was part of the context, even though it wasn't at the beginning of the sentence. Over here you can expect a bit of reading comprehension

I’ve always thought Hispanic implied Caucasian which for the most part means white. Plus, “over here” I often see claims that “the media” doesn’t cover this or that story, because agenda. I usually go out and immediately find said story covered on multiple “lamestream media” sites, so there’s that, and forgive me for taking your claim with a grain of salt.

Blogger Markku April 23, 2014 4:26 PM  

And that the relationsship between hispanic and latino is not one to one.

Hispanic and Latino are quite similar terms, it turns out at a quick glance at Wikipedia. However, a Mestizo is definitely a person of color.

Blogger Markku April 23, 2014 4:29 PM  

I’ve always thought Hispanic implied Caucasian which for the most part means white.

As you can see from Wikipedia, the word refers to the language Spanish, not the country Spain. Mestizos are Hispanics, but not all Hispanics are Mestizos.

Anonymous G April 23, 2014 4:40 PM  

OH SNAP!

Paul_Cornell ‏@Paul_Cornell 6h
It's pleasing that,via the Hugo Voter Packet, Vox Day and his friends will all get copies of Queers Dig Time Lords.

Anonymous Josh April 23, 2014 4:44 PM  

WTF is Queers digg time lords?

Anonymous Dr. Kenneth Noisewater April 23, 2014 4:46 PM  

Hey! Can any of the ilk volunteer to also leave a vile taste in her mouth?

Heavens no, who knows what kind of Oopsie Baby would result after she spit into a turkey baster, then I'd be on the hook for child support..

Anonymous Pseudo-Nate April 23, 2014 4:46 PM  

I think another funny option would be the non campaign campaign is request votes rank no award first in a type of "Vote for None of the Above" campaign. That way no one could accuse you of self interested manipulation. Of course you'd encourage it to protest this terribly manipulated ticket

Blogger Marissa April 23, 2014 4:46 PM  

It's pleasing that,via the Hugo Voter Packet, Vox Day and his friends will all get copies of Queers Dig Time Lords.

Sounds like a step up from Twilight-fanfic. I guess the gays have that going for them?

Blogger James Dixon April 23, 2014 4:48 PM  

> I’ve always thought Hispanic implied Caucasian which for the most part means white.

You thought wrong. From Wikipedia, it's an ethnonym that denotes a relationship to Spain or, in some definitions, to ancient Roman Hispania. In a related section on latino it states: Hispanic is a narrower term and refers mostly to persons of Spanish-speaking ancestry. Hispanic means Spanish speaking, pure and simple, and covers a wide range of races. The majority in the Americas are probably black, but. I don't have any hard statistics on that. I'd have to do some research to determine it for certain.

Latino, on the other hand, simply means from Latin America, including Mexico. That includes Brazil, which speaks Portuguese, as just one example.

The fact that the terms or frequently misused is beside the point.

Anonymous Anonymous April 23, 2014 4:49 PM  

The US Census Bureau started using "Hispanic" in 1960, before that Mexicans were all white under Census guidelines (as Arabs still are today).

Blogger Giraffe April 23, 2014 5:00 PM  

WTF is Queers digg time lords?

I noticed a lot of stuff referencing Dr. Who. Apparently Dr. who is big with the queers. Does that mean Nate's gay?

Anonymous G April 23, 2014 5:01 PM  

To sum up, $40 gets you:

- Final voting this year
- Nominations next year
- All of WoT
- Vox's story (for those who don't already have it)
- Larry's book, and presumably a few other blue CF nominations(?)
- A peek into the enemy camp without having to pay them for it.

>>> WHAT IS THE WEBSITE TO SIGN UP??

Anonymous Jeanne April 23, 2014 5:03 PM  

Ah, got it Markku! Thank you!

Anonymous Daniel April 23, 2014 5:05 PM  

AmyJ - The fan writer award was an old award back in the day set up to acknowledge the amateur (i.e. unpaid, non-career) fiction of fans of sf. In a lot of ways, it was a nice way to award hardcore volunteers at the conventions and other superfans. For a few writers aspiring for a career in sf, it could be used as their self-introduction to the publishing world, but it was definitely for amateur work.

Then, some pro-career writers realized that they could toss one of their unpublishable short stories to a fanzine graciously without compensation...and then get their legion of fans to vote for them in the "fan" category.

McRapey did this a few years ago to earn his "first" Hugo, even though he had been working professionally as a writer for decades, and as a bestselling sf author for about 5 years or so.

Now, it has just become a way for pro authors to get themselves a promotional award. John Doe, Superfan and break-out session organizer at the Topeka NerdCon 2013 who got his fanfic of Dr. Who in Embassytown published by Bob's Fanzine with a readership of 200 simply doesn't have a chance in hell against actual fans of Frederick Pohl, Jim C. Hines, John Scalzi, or last year's winner, Tansy Rayner Roberts, who had her first novel published in the 1990s.

Now, some of this came about because fandom declined from its pre-internet height of the 1960s and 1970s. While the fanwriter award actually had a lot of different fan writers to choose from back then, in the late 80s and for all of the 90s, the award went to the last two consistent fanzine torchbearers of science fiction, Mike Glyer, and then, overwhelmingly, to David Langford for about a decade.

In other words, the award went bust as the times moved on and "fan writing" became less of the thing it was. That gave the opportunity to pro writers, starting with Scalzi, to get their own silver dildo trophy in a new way. Scalzi broke a string of 15 or so Langford wins, and then all of a sudden, every winner since 2008 or so has been a professional career writer.

The fanzine is dead. Fan writing is dead. In its casket, however, lies the opportunity for published writers to get themselves a trial hugo before pushing their next novel through the ranks for the real thing.

Sorry. I'm working very hard on erudition. Just not today.

endcliffklaven

Anonymous Josh April 23, 2014 5:07 PM  

I didn't know it was possible to make Dr Who any gayer...

Anonymous AmyJ April 23, 2014 5:12 PM  

@Daniel: gotcha, thanks!

Anonymous dh April 23, 2014 5:12 PM  

JS astonishes with his profile in courage. Posts the "final word" on the Hugo topic, but does not offer comments. Then posts dog picture, with comments of course.

Blogger Marissa April 23, 2014 5:13 PM  

>>> WHAT IS THE WEBSITE TO SIGN UP??

Go here and from the drop down menu, change it to Supporter.

Anonymous Blume April 23, 2014 5:17 PM  

accidentally? pusha

Anonymous aviendha April 23, 2014 5:19 PM  

G:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=loncon3

Anonymous Josh April 23, 2014 5:19 PM  

I hope this doesn't end up with Scalzi moving to Nevada to become a prostitute.

Blogger JartStar April 23, 2014 5:24 PM  

JS has already lost some Progressive street cred on this issue and is now in damage control mode.

Anonymous David of One April 23, 2014 5:47 PM  

So little Abby doesn't like certain people nor anything good or noteworthy that others may like about people little Abby doesn't like. So little Abby probably doesn't like them either.

It occurs to me that little Abby might be something of Cuckoo bird and is trying to push the others out of the Hugo Award Nominees nest.

And this actually be the case, that little Abbey isn't supposed to be in the nest because she, herself, is a very bad person indeed as she can't accept diversity in this big world or even the little Hugo Nomination nest.

Bad Abby the little Cuckoo.

Anonymous Scintan April 23, 2014 5:49 PM  

This is the level of stupid you're dealing with:

Andrew_C Apr 20, 2014 at 10:53 am

I don’t think that an author who calls fellow authors subhuman deserves to have his work judged on it’s own merit.


Someone really is stupid enough to write something like this

Anonymous Katanga April 23, 2014 5:51 PM  

dh; why do you have "final word" in quotes? He never says "final word" or anything similar enough to warrent quotes.

Blogger Brad Andrews April 23, 2014 6:18 PM  

I started to sign up, to get the "free books" and their "$40 US" price was only listed, but not really available as the pound seems to be higher today. Any idea where to get the $40 rate it notes?

Blogger Brad Andrews April 23, 2014 6:18 PM  

> "Someone really is stupid enough to write something like this"

The pull quotes for ToB didn't prove much. Were those supposed to be an example of bad writing? Pull out 2 sentences and prove someone is bad?

Blogger Dominic Saltarelli April 23, 2014 6:19 PM  

I dug through the links and happened upon the following:
Just Say No

Where someone posted in the comments:
“I WOULD say that no self-respecting person or organization should give him a platform or promote his work, let alone nominate him for an award.”

And yet… we did.

We tried to strike him down and he has come back stronger than ever. The more we shun and mock him, the more followers he gains. He engaged John Scalzi and won (we can’t deny he has more website hits than before the fight–numbers don’t lie). This is like telling people not to rubberneck at an auto accident.

The worst part of it is… what if he is actually writing well enough to justify the award? What if he did, in fact, write the best novellette this year? What if he deserves that Hugo? We either give it to someone we despise or we vote in someone who wrote something that was not, in fact, the best. Our award is soiled no matter what we do.

We are going to lose to people like him.




VD = Obi-Wan?

cool...

Anonymous Dead rats April 23, 2014 6:24 PM  

You missed an option; tying with M. R. Kowal.

Anonymous David of One April 23, 2014 6:25 PM  

That Bad little Abby sure is bossy! That bad taste she has is cud.

Blogger Pulp Herb April 23, 2014 6:26 PM  

That being said, I have thoroughly enjoyed being nominated for the Hugo this year and I sincerely hope that this is merely the first of many such nominations for me and other fine writers upon whom the rabbits gaze upon in terror.

I think in this one sentence you've hit a key difference between those who need these kinds of awards and those who don't.

You've enjoyed being a nominee. Now, yes, your enjoyment comes less, I suspect, from the award itself than freaked out reactions such as the one you quote. Still, your operative state is enjoyment. Things can enter your life without being life or death.

To the rabbits everything is life or death. There is no mere enjoyment. Nothing is acceptable that doesn't rise to the point of a cause.

A parallel example might be in order. A link has been going around about 65 people the writer hates in the form of a test. I got 0 out of 65. Nearly every single person on the list is a type who can annoy me but hate? Hate is a powerful and consuming emotion. Why would I waste the energy it requires on people who drive slow on the freeway or similar annoyances. They annoy me but that's all.

Similarly you are enjoying your nomination. I suspect you'd enjoy winning. Although being in the Billboard Top 40 wasn't important to you I suspect you still enjoyed learning you were even years later. Yet, despite enjoying less important things you stayed on target for what you want to do.

The rabbits can't get that. Be it a CEO at Mozilla, who gets a Hugo nomination, or even the source of the beans used to make your coffee it has to be a life or death importance thing. There are Stephen Donaldson's character who lived in a house of mirrors afraid if she wasn't reflected back to herself she'd cease to exist. If they lose consuming passion for one second they're afraid they will as well.

Anonymous pseudo-nate April 23, 2014 6:27 PM  

I hope this doesn't end up with Scalzi moving to Nevada to become a prostitute."

Doesn't?

"We tried to strike him down"

"What is expelled may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger."



Anonymous WaterBoy April 23, 2014 6:29 PM  

Dominic Saltarelli: "VD = Obi-Wan?"

No, remember that Vox is one of the Sith Lords of the Dark Enlightenment, now; he is Darth Vox.

Blogger Brad Andrews April 23, 2014 6:32 PM  

This reminds me of a former coworker who said I was "evil" (with a straight face) because I didn't share his embracing of homosexual values and such. We continued to work together for quite some time, across 2 companies, but that was still a core belief of his, not said in jest either.

I figure some people just think differently inside.

Blogger Dark Herald April 23, 2014 6:34 PM  

WTF is Queers digg time lords?

Considering what the first four Doctors looked like. I don't think the author thought this one through...Oh Gawd, unless he did!

Doctor Who: A Lemon Party through Space and Time!

Blogger Dominic Saltarelli April 23, 2014 6:35 PM  

No, remember that Vox is one of the Sith Lords of the Dark Enlightenment, now; he is Darth Vox.

Oh, right. I stand corrected.

Anonymous Scintan April 23, 2014 6:39 PM  

This reminds me of a former coworker who said I was "evil" (with a straight face) because I didn't share his embracing of homosexual values and such. We continued to work together for quite some time, across 2 companies, but that was still a core belief of his, not said in jest either.

As I mentioned in another thread, yesterday, the kill shot for the "homophobe" attacks is to point out that the Catholic church opposes homosexual marriage, as do muslims and most protestants. They can then either rail against those groups, in which case you can point out their theophobia, or they can shut the hell up.

Blogger Markku April 23, 2014 6:43 PM  

Oh, right. I stand corrected.

I wonder if it worked in that same "Tag! You're Sith!" way in the SW universe too.

Blogger Dominic Saltarelli April 23, 2014 6:46 PM  

I wonder if it worked in that same "Tag! You're Sith!" way in the SW universe too.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.........!!!!

Anonymous Post April 23, 2014 6:46 PM  

I dug through the links and happened upon the following:
Just Say No

Probably written by a sneaky Ilk. "SuperPink", heh.

Blogger James Dixon April 23, 2014 6:53 PM  

> We are going to lose to people like him.

A rare moment of enlightenment for that crowd. Unless it was someone masquerading, of course.

Blogger Hacked acct. No longer your supporter $1.50 April 23, 2014 6:54 PM  

Women like this can accept an award but due to whatever, she will disown the award for attention and blog fodder.

Blogger Hacked acct. No longer your supporter $1.50 April 23, 2014 6:56 PM  

Rabbits are not their own. Rabbit men are not their own men, rabbit women are not their own women. I promise women like this cannot keep the award if rec'ed. At any rate, congratulations miss.

Anonymous Scintan April 23, 2014 6:59 PM  

Rabbits are not their own. Rabbit men are not their own men, rabbit women are not their own women. I promise women like this cannot keep the award if rec'ed. At any rate, congratulations miss.

Tribes are tribes. Vox Popoli has a lot more in common with Whatever than most of the frequent posters here would be willing to admit.

Anonymous Anonymous April 23, 2014 7:03 PM  

> A rare moment of enlightenment for that crowd.

James, James, James. Even if you're not practiced at detecting concern trolls, surely the name should be a dead giveaway. As Post noted.

Anonymous Anonymous April 23, 2014 7:14 PM  

As I mentioned in another thread, yesterday, the kill shot for the "homophobe" attacks is to point out that the Catholic church opposes homosexual marriage, as do muslims and most protestants.

Most of them will proudly declare their hatred for the Catholic Church and "fundamentalist" Protestant denominations (under which label they will place all those opposed to homogamy), so I'm not sure how much you can hurt them with that. Might get some traction with the Muslim part, though I suspect they'll claim to know some liberal Muslims who have hardly beheaded anyone, and that all the "extreme Islamist" stuff is a Republican exaggeration.

Anonymous Scintan April 23, 2014 7:21 PM  

Most of them will proudly declare their hatred for the Catholic Church and "fundamentalist" Protestant denominations (under which label they will place all those opposed to homogamy), so I'm not sure how much you can hurt them with that. Might get some traction with the Muslim part, though I suspect they'll claim to know some liberal Muslims who have hardly beheaded anyone, and that all the "extreme Islamist" stuff is a Republican exaggeration.

Once they make the proclamation, you point out there intolerance, and they've lost the only foundation to their argument. They'll have completely obliterated their own theoretical moral high ground.

Much like the idiot who initially wrote

I don’t think that an author who calls fellow authors subhuman deserves to have his work judged on it’s own merit.

they will have hoisted themselves with their own petards.

Anonymous Scintan April 23, 2014 7:22 PM  

Edit for the 7:21 pm post:

That should be their, not there. The lack of editing ability strikes again

Anonymous S. Universe April 23, 2014 7:38 PM  

Might get some traction with the Muslim part

I see this a lot. I think a lot of conservatives mix up supporting a groups right to be free from persecution (post 9/11) with support of their beliefs. This is not the case. You are confused.

Blogger Robert What? April 23, 2014 7:40 PM  

Vox - congratulations on the nomination and I hope you thoroughly enjoy the distress they are causing themselves.

Anonymous kh123 April 23, 2014 7:56 PM  

...Not sure if follow-up posts with spelling corrections are as reoccurring a trait over at Whatever.

Anonymous Anonymous April 23, 2014 8:05 PM  

You are confused.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, or what you think we're confused about. The point is: if a leftist says people who oppose homogamy are evil, you might be able to make him backpedal by pointing out that he just called Muslims evil. Even better, pull out the Dalai Lama.

However, all this assumes that they're trying to make an argument based on reason and logic, which they're not.

Anonymous AXCrom April 23, 2014 8:17 PM  

I found this interesting, Scalzi regularly posts pictures of piles of the many books he receives/buys, look how many Baen Books are in his most recent stack...

Blogger Markku April 23, 2014 8:22 PM  

OT: Louisiana creates "comprehensive person profile". If you seem like a risk to the state, they will "intervene" in your life. Now, isn't that nice?

Anonymous dh April 23, 2014 8:35 PM  

dh; why do you have "final word" in quotes? He never says "final word" or anything similar enough to warrent quotes.

Final words = No comments allowed. He's closed the topic from further consideration on Whatever, until he chooses to re-open.

A sure sign that he has failed.

I can't say for sure, but in the 8 or 9 years that I have read this blog, and the last 5 or 6 I have commented, I can never remember VD shutting down comments because the topic was, you know, too contreversial or because he didn't want to hear people's opinions.

JS shut down the comments because it would expose him to condemnation from the feminist community which he could not parlay into a positive. It would be open season on him. His normal commenting policy prevents you from portraying him in even a moderately negative light. It must only be on his terms. Fine is fine, his blog his rules, but in the end, it shows a not shocking lack of courage.

Saying "feel free to disagree with me", but then not allowing comments really means "feel free to disagree with me and please forget about this as soon as possible". Then it's time for a subject change, of course. Hey, look, dog pic!

Blogger James Dixon April 23, 2014 8:47 PM  

> Even if you're not practiced at detecting concern trolls, surely the name should be a dead giveaway

Dominic didn't quote the name. Do you think I actually bother to read most of these things?

Anonymous dh April 23, 2014 8:47 PM  

It's actually so thick with self-deception over there on the pink SF Left that you can't really believe it:

"I say all of this NOT to say that victims should remove themselves but to say that giving people like VD air space is to give them positive reinforcement and a greater readership than they’d ever have otherwise. My website averages well over 600 visits a day. Based on comments from other fanzine people, I’m guessing that’s more readers than VD’s blog would get even when he provokes a shit storm. Let’s deprive him of the traffic."

Umm... hard to imagine that she thinks 600 readers a day is a lot. This blog averages more than that per hour.

Anonymous Scintan April 23, 2014 8:48 PM  

And, again, a big bucket of stupid:

Even putting aside things like reading brain—which I'll get to in a minute—it is perfectly moral, or ethical, or taking the high road, or good on whatever axis you want to consider, to refuse to honor the work of someone who has engaged in such hateful and actively threatening behavior as Vox Day. Period.

Another impressively stupid human being

Do these people not understand what they're writing?

Anonymous jack April 23, 2014 8:57 PM  

Markku April 23, 2014 1:21 PM

H: Yes, read Qalabi Dawn from The Wardog's Coin Not free, but on discount right now.
Now, there is a novella I would like to expanded into a series. Let's see...

Qalabi extended into a full epic #1
Lion of the Desert #2 [Amor, embarrassed, sends 5 legions to the Qalabi Marcus Valeris commanding]

The Eagle and the Lion #3 Amor and the cat legions join to fight a common foe coming out of the wastes south of the Qalabi... Marcus and the Desert Lion commanding.
I could get my teeth into that series....

Anonymous automatthew April 23, 2014 9:04 PM  

I'm tempted to go and start arguing with SuperPink. You know, to increase "her" credibility with the rabbits.

Anonymous automatthew April 23, 2014 9:09 PM  

yama showed up at the bibliodaze post, with his typical schtick (quoting prose from VD he thinks is bad).

I replied with the famous Wayfarers Monologue, but it's in moderation.

Anonymous Anonymous April 23, 2014 9:26 PM  

"Yeah, screw whether or not his story actually deserves to be nominated! Vox is a jerk, thus his work should never be judged for its merits! QED."

Anonymous FoolishPride April 23, 2014 9:29 PM  

What we've seen is that they thought they defeated Vox by bending the rules and expelling him. They saw themselves as the plucky heroes who teamed up to save the world from the evil sorcerer.

Now they are terrified because you've come back swinging twice as hard as before. They thought they saw the last of the Award Winning Cruelty Artist. They were wrong.

Anonymous Idle Spectator April 23, 2014 9:35 PM  

Anyone notice how the terms "bully" and "bullying" seem to be skyrocketing in usage lately with the left and the rabbits? It seems like they can feel the shift from r-selection to K-selection is coming. They are trying their best to get out of the inevitable beat down about to happen to their safe spaces.

Anonymous Jonathan April 23, 2014 9:38 PM  

Tribes are tribes. Vox Popoli has a lot more in common with Whatever than most of the frequent posters here would be willing to admit.

As insightful and incisive as Beale's writings and observations may be this is dead-on.

Anonymous Jonathan April 23, 2014 9:42 PM  

@ scintan

they will have hoisted themselves with their own petards.

"hoist" not "hoisted". Hell, I have known this for 20 years and still sometimes typo this in while typing quickly.

Anonymous Idle X April 23, 2014 9:44 PM  

OT: Louisiana creates "comprehensive person profile". If you seem like a risk to the state, they will "intervene" in your life. Now, isn't that nice?

This will certainly stop the tea party terrorists this time.

A few years ago I would have called Alex Jones a crackpot. Now with the latest revelations trickling out, it seems people should definitely listen to him.

Anonymous Scintan April 23, 2014 9:50 PM  

@ scintan

they will have hoisted themselves with their own petards.

"hoist" not "hoisted". Hell, I have known this for 20 years and still sometimes typo this in while typing quickly.


"Hoist", which is how Shakespeare used it, is the archaic form. "Hoisted" is an acceptable modern alternative.

<a href="http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/british/be-hoist-ed-with-by-your-own-petard>Cambridge Dictionaries Online</a>

Thanks for trying to help me with the clarification, but it's something I'd actually looked into because of a similar situation years ago.

Anonymous Androsynth April 23, 2014 9:52 PM  

Anyone notice how the terms "bully" and "bullying" seem to be skyrocketing in usage lately with the left and the rabbits?

Anyone out of high school who cries about bullying shouldn't be allowed to leave their homes without a handler.

Anonymous FP April 23, 2014 10:04 PM  

"as if it's recapitulating the culture wars only makes this nomination worse"

Culture wars eh? I thought there was no culture war going on according to the lefties.

Anonymous Godfrey April 23, 2014 10:10 PM  

Culture war? No, it's a class war. The lefties just don't know it. They're just useful idiots for the wealthy financial classes seeking to reduce the population levels of the "livestock".

The culture war is just part of the much bigger picture of wealth concentration and world depopulation.

Anonymous bob k. mando April 23, 2014 10:28 PM  

Herb Nowell April 23, 2014 6:26 PM
If they lose consuming passion for one second they're afraid they will as well.



you're close ... but critically wrong.

their passion does NOT arise because they fear that without passion they cannot exist.

they use passion as a weapon to suppress dissension because they KNOW that the 'precepts' by which they live their lives are lies.

at some level, they know full well what they are doing and that it is untenable. but they merely hope to 'get their own' place at the slop trough before the music runs out.

it's the same kind of behavior you see from people in a Ponzi scheme ... or a union.

as an example:
in 2002, the Lou Crou was sitting around discussing Islam and whether or not it was a 'religion of peace'. bricklord, lord of the bricklayers ( you see, he's not very good at shooting a basketball ) stated that he had read the entire Koran from cover to cover and that there was no violence in it whatsoever.

brickley is the IU-Bloomington MBA. he's not stupid.

now, either he was lying about having read the entire Koran OR he was lying about not having seen 'any violence' in the Koran.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quran_and_violence

but that's not the issue. the issue is, WHY would a nominally christian American of European origin LIE about the content of the Koran like this AFTER 911?

the answer is: because brickley is a leftist ... and adheres to most of their precepts.

and knows full well that neither discussion nor debate about these concepts can be tolerated ... because they do not withstand the most cursory examination.

Anonymous Red Comet April 23, 2014 10:36 PM  

A lot of those bloggers sure are worked up in some of those links I followed from Far Beyond Reality. And over a nomination alone. I hope Vox wins just so we can have a laugh at the wailing and gnashing of teeth both in the audience the night of and then later on their blogs.

Anonymous Laz April 23, 2014 10:58 PM  

"I hope Vox wins just so we can have a laugh at the wailing and gnashing of teeth both in the audience the night of and then later on their blogs."

I hope we get pics.

Blogger Alexander April 23, 2014 11:23 PM  

The best comment at kate_nepveu. It says everything that I cannot tell if this is parody or not.

"I was in the "if it's good writing it doesn't matter" camp before I clicked the links to dissenting opinions Scalzi included in his latest blog post. You (and the three other bloggers he cites) are correct.
Though I initially agreed with Scalzi, in doing so I was operating from cisgendered, heterosexual, white privilege.
Until I read your posts, I didn't get that if it matters to someone who is "othered" in any way in which I am privileged, it is my concern as well.
I'm just sorry it took me so long to see this."

It has everything. And while I enjoyed the self-described 'cis-gendered privileged bit', the best part is the open embracing of censorship once freedom of speech is recognized as including 'the other side'.

Blogger IM2L844 April 23, 2014 11:39 PM  

The best part of this whole thing is that they thought the were rid of Vox Day. What's even funnier is that they seem to think just one more collective tantrum and he'll disappear for evermore to never trouble them again or something. I really can't relate to the mindset, but from this angle It just keeps getting better. Will they never learn? Tune in next week to see if they finally break Vox's will. Doesn't seem likely, but who knows...maybe that little umbrella will finally see some service protecting his drink from rivers of salty tears.

Anonymous rho April 24, 2014 12:45 AM  

VD can't go to LonCon3. If he did attend, you just know there'd be some fat guy with a strip mall karate black belt wanting to take a run at him. I've seen enough nerd movies, VD will end up in traction at hospital and then Dr. Alan Thicke will say something sarcastic.

Blogger rcocean April 24, 2014 12:50 AM  

"It has everything. And while I enjoyed the self-described 'cis-gendered privileged bit', the best part is the open embracing of censorship once freedom of speech is recognized as including 'the other side'."

Modern liberalism personified. When in the minority cry about "free speech" and "seeing both sides". Then when they get enough power, the Jack Boot comes down - hard. After all, why should they hear both sides, when one side is obviously "wrong" and "evil"?

Anonymous rho April 24, 2014 1:23 AM  

I read the rebuttals Scalzi linked to. Spontaneous Derivation notes at the start a laundry list of trigger warnings that advertise her post as more interesting than it actually is. Also she warns of the grievous weight given to certain words like "chink", but doesn't mind the grievous weight behind "racist", and clearly likes to toss it around a lot. She uses a word as a weapon, and is happy to do so. In other words, she doesn't actually mind fully automatic weapons so long as they are in the right hands--an Authoritarian by any metric.

kate_nepveu managed to write something that was at least internally consistent. Internally consistent in a solipsistic way, but still, it hangs together. I am curious, though, whether she refuses to watch any movie by, for example, Roman Polanski. Or for that matter any other artist that does not meet her quite narrow definition of proper morality. There are quite a number of artists and musicians who were terrible people. Does she shun them? While she manages to make some sense, I don't think she's examined her values as carefully as she didn't read VD's novelette.

The other links were worse and dumber.

I assume these were among the best rebuttals that Scalzi could find. Pretty weak tea, IMO.

Anonymous Anonymous April 24, 2014 2:02 AM  

Because of all of the attention Vox has been getting I honestly would not be at all surprised if he wins the award.

Blogger Unknown April 24, 2014 2:19 AM  

Looks like the Frog "Woman" and "her" husband P Nielsen Hayden are upset about your well deserved nomination for the Hugo.

http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/015838.html

Anonymous rho April 24, 2014 3:11 AM  

From Of course that means the Hugos have flaws. So do juried awards, your friends, and, probably, cosmic overminds from Aldebaran.

Pre-emptive negation. Acknowledgment implies that some--if not many or all--Hugos are basically fraudulent.

I'm starting to like this game.

Anonymous kh123 April 24, 2014 3:57 AM  

"Pre-emptive negation."

On today's menu, We have: Eurasia and Eastasia.

Blogger Duke of Earl April 24, 2014 4:48 AM  

I just listened to Welcome to My Mind on YouTube. Psykosonik were pretty good.

Anonymous Anonymous Cowherd April 24, 2014 7:00 AM  

Vox Day is a despicable person whose repeated racist, sexist, and homophobic behavior towards specific members of the genre community as well as the community as a whole should make all decent human beings recoil from his presence.

Vox Day did not orchestrate a campaign to chase a Jewish woman off twitter so his opponents at SFWA are more despicable than he is.

Anonymous Foolish Pride April 24, 2014 7:43 AM  

Oh that is great. Plays into an argument Vox has made before.

If they actually read the "RSHD" they would realize that.

Anonymous Big Bill April 24, 2014 8:24 AM  

' ... specific members of the genre community ..."

I am afraid your critic lost me there. What is a "genre community"? That word--"community"--must mean something. It cannot be just a nervous mental twitch, can it?

The way it is bandied about by lefties makes me wonder. Can I speak of myself as a member of the "polo shirt community", or the "y-front community" or the "odor community"?

Anonymous Darth Toolpodicus April 24, 2014 9:36 AM  

I think a "RSHD" T-shirt would be a nice accessory for attending WorldCom. Big block letters. Wear it and watch the reactions from rabbit folk as you mill around.

Blogger Markku April 24, 2014 10:05 AM  

I think that's the same error as the warren thinking they totally burned us by inventing Gamma Rabbit.

V O X       D A Y
for best novelette

...would be much better

Anonymous NZT April 24, 2014 10:07 AM  

Lol at Abigail Nussbaum displaying the sober, evenhanded judgment and sparkling personal charm that anyone would expect from a hardcore Jewish feminist. Color me surprised.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts