ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2016 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Sunday, December 06, 2015

The Unreality Principle

John C. Wright explains why the Left cannot, and will not, wake up. Not now, not ever.
How long until the Left wake up? The answer is: NEVER.

The Left will never wake up to reality for precisely the reason that Leftism is a mental system of excuses and psychological tricks and traps meant to allow the Leftist to escape from reality.

That is what all their rigmarole, jabberwocky, lies and evasions, all their complex obfuscations, and penning endless tomes of endless nonsense from Marx to Keynes to Al Gore, all their riots, marches, protests, sit-ins, think-tanks, media moguls, money laundering, awards shows, convulsions, antics, stunts, clamor, libel, slander, and cacophony is for: Reality avoidance.

That is all that it is for.

It was not always thus. Perhaps a generation ago, there were Leftists who joined the Democrat Party for what were political reasons, to promote labor unions, impose regulation on banks and businesses in response to some threat, real or imaginary, posed by the free market, or to encourage the welfare state to help the poor.

Perhaps two generations ago, there were real Marxists who really believed that socialism was more efficient and more productive of human wealth than the free market. But after the Fall of the Berlin Wall, no honest person can maintain that socialism is more efficient at encouraging wealth and creating and distributing goods and services than a free market.

All socialism produces are mounds of corpses in mass graves, and gulag-states surrounded by barbed wire, with all guns pointed inward.

Even Bill Clinton, a weasel without an honest bone in his body, announced the era of big government to be over, and took the first step to dismantling the American version of Marxism, Johnson’s Great Society. If he saw socialism as a failure, anyone can see it.

And so the criticism changed strategy. In the shadow of the Holocaust of Jews by the Nazis, where Nazism became the synonym for evil in a world which has ceased to speak of the Devil, racism was identified as the main scourge and flaw of the West, and attempts to eradicate racism by means of embracing multiculturalism became the norm.

This is ironic. Tribalism, racism, and the presumed superiority of one’s own bloodline over any foreigners is the norm of human existence, and only the Christian religion gives anyone any reason to condemn it. Here in the West and here alone is anyone even concerned at calling it evil or trying to eliminate it. It would be like the West trying to wipe out polygamy, when we are the only ones whose culture rejects polygamy. No one else sees it as wrong.

Be that as it may. Multiculturalism is not a doctrine, it is an attitude: the attitude is to praise inferior and savage societies in any ways in which they differ from Christendom, and to blame, scold, vilify and upbraid Christendom for any ways in which we differ from Utopia. It is the attitude of a nagging wife unwilling to divorce a hard-working husband and provider she hates and loathes.  Multiculturalism is nagging.

The nagging is based on the idea that all cultures are equal, and all equally provide for human liberty and human happiness. Skyscraper and yurt: the same. Cathedral and igloo: the same. Wright Brothers and the Cargo Cult of Melanesia: the same. American cosmetics industry and pre-Western Chinese practice of breaking the bones in baby girls’ feet for footbinding: the same. Western abolition of slavery and Hindu caste system: the same. Medical Doctors and Witch-Doctors: the same. Scientific agriculture and Maori cannibalism: the same. Progress and stagnation: the same. Christian martyr and Muslim suicide bomber: the same. Jesus and Mohammed: the same.

See how it works?

The Christian West, with our industrial and scientific revolutions (the byproduct of our Christian metaphysics, university system and Christian individualism) not to mention our legal and juridical advances are held by hypothesis not to have made any particular advances in human liberty and happiness.

Any use of discriminatory judgment between the cultures of, say, the British Empire and he Aztec Empire is the product of bigotry, bias, or race-hatred.

After 9/11, it became clear that not all cultures equally provide for human liberty and happiness. Indeed, it is clear enough to any honest observer that come cultures are productive of vast misery and vast oppression, especially oppression of women, of children, of the weak and helpless. The growing slave trade in underage boys used as catamites by the Muslim is a clear enough sign of this, as well as the rape statistics that follow Muslim migrants entering Europe.

In recent years, with the cult of multiculturalism dead, and Marxism rightfully tossed into the crematorium of dead yet stupid ideas, the only thing left for the Left to do was to break all ties with honesty.

Political Correctness has its roots in Stalinism, and is as old as Marx himself, as old as the first lie every told by a snake in Eden. But since 9/11, with both their idols of multiculturalism and socialism smashed, the press and the Left generally expelled their less extreme elements from their midst, or shamed them into silence, and embraced falsehood as the source and summit of all good.

This is what I call ‘the Unreality Principle’ which is the principle that a lie is better than the truth because to lie and to believe a lie proves one’s loyalty. To lie and believe lies is morally superior than to tell and believe the truth, and the more outrageous the lie, the greater the moral superiority one can award oneself.
This is why you have to turn your back on them. This is why you have to reject them and refuse to have anything to do with them. They literally live in a different reality than you do; it is no less influential on their attitude and behavior than the real world despite being entirely imaginary.

There is one thing, and only one thing, capable of reliably cutting through the Unreality Principle and that is Jesus Christ. Logic can't. Science can't. Rhetoric can't. Bonhomie and good will to Men can't.

Jesus himself told his disciples to turn their backs and brush the dirt from their feet in response to those who would not listen. Do the same.

Labels: ,

148 Comments:

Anonymous Takin' a Look December 06, 2015 8:32 AM  

The British Empire did a lot of Evil (Sassoon Opium trade anyone?) But....they also had many,many Good Actors which tried to bring Christ's Light world-wide. It was also the Empire that crushed the Thuggee Cult, began the process of ending slavery and built infrastructure.

Blogger Cataline Sergius December 06, 2015 8:42 AM  

@ John C. Wright

This was brilliant and agree with every single point.

The only codicil that I would add is, legally drug addled. It's a lot easier to avoid all of the bad feez that come with reality if you have prescription for Xanax.

And every single one of them do.

Anonymous Viidad December 06, 2015 8:53 AM  

Wright's insight is like a polished sword sweeping through obfuscating cobwebs.

Blogger Lovekraft December 06, 2015 8:56 AM  

applauds. Great post.

There is also the age-old cycle of Biblical instruction that is this:

there are the rebellious young, impatient and mischievous. Then there are the historically-minded elder who knows the path of folly and what it leads to.

The Bible is full of this pattern: of the elders being worn down or deceived or weakened by the mischievous where they relent. The wise man's warnings are mocked and great misery and destruction ensue.

Learned this 'key' from D. Sim's analysis of the Old Testament's early books in the Latter Days of Cerebus. Helped me see how a society that places too much emphasis on youth, beauty, materialism is opening itself up to the wicked temptations.

Blogger Geoff December 06, 2015 9:04 AM  

Mr. Wright is an excellent SF writer but it seems his true calling is as a Christian leader.

Anonymous Godfrey December 06, 2015 9:04 AM  

The SJW is imprisoned within the confines of his own mind. As reality relentlessly invades, his confinement shrinks. In the war on reality, reality wins.

Blogger VD December 06, 2015 9:11 AM  

Mr. Wright is an excellent SF writer but it seems his true calling is as a Christian leader.

I'd certainly prefer him as Pope to the current one, but I understand his marriage would be an encumbrance of sorts.

Blogger Hammerli280 December 06, 2015 9:13 AM  

There's another reason to abjure the Leftist. They will annoy you to the point of physically chastising their obnoxious folly before it's legally or culturally permissible to do so.

Anonymous NorthernHamlet December 06, 2015 9:16 AM  

How many people in those other cultures would say they're unhappy, which essentially appears to be the crux of Mr Wright's argument? How many in ours report being happy, even with the fruits of the revolutions Mr Wright lauds?

Anonymous tz December 06, 2015 9:17 AM  

He claims it is curable, though maybe it is because he is a DVM so can use a proper approach:
http://www.kraytonkerns.org/weekly_postings.html

Anonymous old man in a villa December 06, 2015 9:25 AM  

@9

Happy=Emotion

Chasing emotions as a means of determining lasting value is something I'd expect from a 10 year old female child.

Satisfaction, contentment- those are not emotions, but a state of mind. That's what mature human beings should strive towards.

Blogger Skylark Thibedeau December 06, 2015 9:29 AM  

The Left never learns. The Communists in Iran thought that using the Islamists to overthrow the Shah would pave their way to Power. It blew up in their faces.

Blogger Skylark Thibedeau December 06, 2015 9:30 AM  

The Left never learns. The Communists in Iran thought that using the Islamists to overthrow the Shah would pave their way to Power. It blew up in their faces.

Anonymous NorthernHamlet December 06, 2015 9:32 AM  

old man in a villa,

We don't disagree in the slightest.

OpenID jeffkhazelwood December 06, 2015 9:34 AM  

"There is one thing, and only one thing, capable of reliably cutting through the Unreality Principle and that is Jesus Christ. Logic can't. Science can't. Rhetoric can't. Bonhomie and good will to Men can't."

This argument seems true to me, but I struggle with some basic questions.

Can one return to the flock out of a sense of renewed duty to the flock? Is keeping faith with kin and a desire to support the defense of Christendom sufficient to allow a good faith return?

Religious solidarity should aid the fight that we are in as a people. But, does someone who’s lost his personal faith do more harm than good by endeavoring to rejoin his faithful neighbors?

My bonhomie and good will to kinsmen are earnest. Is it unhelpful fakery to try to return in body before being able to return in spirit?

Blogger Mr.MantraMan December 06, 2015 9:36 AM  

Brilliant. Too bad conservatives spent the last few decades acting if the left And it's adherents are a force of nature not its cancerous growth

Rhetoric is your gladius, jab,jab,jab, these people are misfit malcontents. As an experiment blame them for something and watch them shrink

Anonymous Godfrey December 06, 2015 9:43 AM  

@7
Not many Popes have wise and even fewer are Saints. It's truly miraculous the institution has survived for nearly 2,000 years. If Saints are to arise look for them among the laity not the Bishops. They're seldom seen in that quarter.

Anonymous Orville December 06, 2015 9:48 AM  

@15 Religious solidarity should aid the fight that we are in as a people. But, does someone who’s lost his personal faith do more harm than good by endeavoring to rejoin his faithful neighbors?

Paraphrasing Paul, they departed from us, because they were never of us.

Certainly if they repented (publically repudiated, and turned from their error to the truth) then certainly they could be accepted. But SJW entriest wouldn't do that for the reasons listed by Wright. The problem is that many imbecilic Christians operate on feelz and will accept someone just because he smiles without insisting on a public confession.

Anonymous Credo in Unum Deum December 06, 2015 9:49 AM  

Don't worry, Liberals, even though you're crying now because VD hurt your feelings, Buddha still loves you.

Blogger James Dixon December 06, 2015 9:54 AM  

> ...but I understand his marriage would be an encumbrance of sorts.

Not just that he's married, but I'm given to understand that his wife isn't Roman Catholic.

Blogger Lana J December 06, 2015 10:26 AM  

OT: Vox did you see Ross Douthat's editorial on Trump in the NYT? I am on my mobile and can't link to it, but at one point he compares Trump to George Wallace. Too bad you already finished Cuckservatives. This may be the cuckiest article I've read to date.

Anonymous Joe Blowe December 06, 2015 10:42 AM  

I heard some one once say that the foundation of modern society is the denial of reality.

Blogger VD December 06, 2015 10:43 AM  

Vox did you see Ross Douthat's editorial on Trump in the NYT?

Yes, and I believe I mentioned it in the book.

OpenID jeffkhazelwood December 06, 2015 10:46 AM  

@18 "Paraphrasing Paul, they departed from us, because they were never of us."

I understand, Orville. Thank you.

I shall offer friendship and support, while remaining apart from the flock.

Blogger praetorian December 06, 2015 10:48 AM  

Link to the Douthat article.

Le Happy Establishment really is losing its shit over him. Glorious.

(It don't matter. None of this matters.)

Blogger Doom December 06, 2015 10:56 AM  

What he is saying is that the left is the enemy. Truth is, they always were. They were the ones who opened the gates to let the wolves in, in Tibet, Russia, Germany, Rome, and where and when ever else civilization has fallen... at least when that was what was done. Though, too, they just as often allowed destroyers in as drove successful states to ruin, as elites as well as peasants. It's the fringes they seem to seek. Which is why they hate, and have been so busy destroying, the middle class.

Most of the time, while civilization actually functions, they don't have power. Though, as mentioned, they destroy both from seats of power and from without it. The permanently, willfully, hellbound. The enemy of man and God. They can be kept in check. I'm not sure why they aren't. Safe spaces, a hundred years ago, did exist. They were called asylums and prisons. We have lost our way. They didn't win, we gave up. I was mostly dead. What happened to the rest of you?

Blogger allyn71 December 06, 2015 11:02 AM  

@24 @ Jeffkhazelwood

If you are feeling that strong of a pull to support your kin and kindred of spirit in the faith are you truly sure that isn't a spark calling you back to the faith? I would suggest that you spend some serious time in reflection and prayer/meditation. Read the scripture during this time. Allow your self to undergo a serious examination of your heart and your conscience, there may be more there than you realize or are willing to admit outwardly at this time.

Blogger Cataline Sergius December 06, 2015 11:26 AM  

Is this the broad spectrum motivation behind the Three Laws of SJWs?

It seems to fit them like a glove. All three of them support a complete denial of reality.

Anonymous TS December 06, 2015 11:26 AM  

"The Communists in Iran thought that using the Islamists to overthrow the Shah would pave their way to Power. It blew up in their faces."

The communists in Washington D.C. are doing the same.

OpenID jeffkhazelwood December 06, 2015 11:29 AM  

@27 @allyn71

No, I am not sure. But, I believe that true fellowship requires respect grounded in honesty.

I appreciate your advice and will follow it. Thank you.

Anonymous Dave December 06, 2015 11:41 AM  

In that case, let the Leftists cling to their silly ideas while Muslims, Africans, and Latinos butcher them like sheep. I don't need Leftists voting to raise my taxes, take away my guns, and teach sexual perversion to my children. Muslims may also target conservatives, as they did in Garland, Texas, but that's not the sort of martyrdom most Muslims are looking for.

Anonymous Frank Brady December 06, 2015 11:41 AM  

In the 1950s a small group of Trotskyite intellectuals became disenchanted with aspects of Marxism and began a philosophic migration away from communism. The new movement paused briefly at the "Scoop" Jackson/Hubert Humphrey faction of the Democratic Party before selecting the Republican Party as its final host. The migration was led by Irving Kristol and Leo Strauss, the intellectual fathers of neoconservatism.

Kristol, father of The Weekly Standard's Bill Kristol, was Managing Editor of Commentary magazine from 1947 to 1952 and Professor of Social Thought at the New York University Graduate School of Business from 1969 to 1988. Since 1988 he has been ensconced as a Distinguished Fellow at the American Enterprise Institute. Strauss, who died in 1973, was a Political Science Professor at the University of Chicago for most of his career. Unfortunately for those who value Constitutional government, Kristol, Strauss, and their acolytes brought a lot of socialist baggage with them when they "came over" to conservatism.

For those who wonder how in the name of God's Green Earth "conservatism" ever came to mean support for an explosive increase in domestic federal spending, the expansion of welfare state programs, federalization of local and state issues, warrantless surveillance, executive branch dominance, Wilsonian global intervention, and endless war, it is only necessary to understand the blatant and unblinking arrogance that is among neoconservatism's defining hallmarks. As none other than Irving Kristol wrote unabashedly in “The Neoconservative Persuasion”, "...one can say that the historical task and political purpose of neoconservatism would seem to be this: to convert the Republican party, and American conservatism in general, against their respective wills [emphasis added], into a new kind of conservative politics suitable to governing a modern democracy."

Kristol, Strauss, and their disciples are moral relativists who share a disregard for truth that is nearly as great as their disdain for the essential American idea of individual liberty. Kristol wrote, "There are different kinds of truths for different kinds of people. There are truths appropriate for children; truths that are appropriate for students; truths that are appropriate for educated adults; and truths that are appropriate for highly educated adults, and the notion that there should be one set of truths available to everyone is a modern democratic fallacy. It doesn't work."

On the role of the State, Kristol is quite open. He wrote, "Neocons do not feel that kind of alarm or anxiety about the growth of the state in the past century, seeing it as natural, indeed inevitable. Because they tend to be more interested in history than economics or sociology, they know that the 19th-century idea, so neatly propounded by Herbert Spencer in his "The Man Versus the State," was a historical eccentricity."

For his part, Strauss wrote an entire book ("Natural Right and History") praising what he called the political realism of the ancients who denied that there was any natural human right to liberty or truth. He was especially taken with Plato's discourses on "noble Lies." Strauss implicitly believed, as did Plato, that "noble Lies" were essential to stable government because they gave the people meaning and purpose. Strauss also believed that secrecy is necessary tool for ruling elites. In "Persecution and the Art of Writing", he explained that "the wise" must conceal their motives and actions in order to protect themselves from uprisings and reprisals.

I am, by the way, a recovering Republican an former conservative.

Blogger dc.sunsets December 06, 2015 11:50 AM  

I think Mr. Wright could generate more clarity by highlighting the relationship between current Leftism & a wierd Protestant religion.

Once you start with the Universalist central dogma that under the skin all people are as identical as worker bees in a hive, their definition of, and response to SIN follows logically.

Racism, defined as recognizing plain facts derived from IQ testing, NBA players or a host of other daily experiences, is a mortal sin, and stating any such unauthorized facts is utter blasphemy.

This is not a political viewpoint, politics only arises as a means to further the current interpretation of Cathedral Dogma. This is why Big Government, distant & and wholly unaccountable, is a feature, not a bug. Only this way can Palatine High School be coerced into tolerating the latest intolerable lunacy. Lest we forget, intolerance is another mortal sin, and all sin must be exterminated, by any means necessary, because only this way will the Cathedral produce the Kingdom Of Heaven On Earth (KOHOE.)

Blogger dc.sunsets December 06, 2015 11:56 AM  

Trump simply shouts the blasphemy that millions of people wish they could, but can't due to the scarlet letters they'd be branded with.

Cathedral Dogma has veered into such outright denial of observed reality that Western Civ is flooded with silent heretics.

Trump, as a signal, heralds that the Universalist Cathedral is nearing an all out mutiny.

Blogger pyrrhus December 06, 2015 12:13 PM  

Interestingly, Christianity may have created the modern world by banning cousin marriage...Japan banned it around 1900 and saw a surge of IQ a couple of generations later...

Blogger Tom K. December 06, 2015 12:20 PM  

Actually, there are rites in the RC Church other than the Toman rite in which marriage is permitted to priests. These are mostly in Africa (because of black promiscuity) and the church does what it can to keep it quiet.

Also, if you are an Anglican priest and convert you can become a priest even if you're married. Amazing, no?

Anonymous paleopaleo December 06, 2015 12:29 PM  

There is one thing, and only one thing, capable of reliably cutting through the Unreality Principle and that is Jesus Christ.
True, yes. But... I have been so discouraged lately by my Christian friends. It is difficult to argue traditional principles with those who've been educated in American schools and universities. I believe I will see them in heaven but they are standing by while our children's social futures are ruined.

Blogger dc.sunsets December 06, 2015 12:46 PM  

@paleopaleo,
It's difficult to fight Universalist Cathedral Dogma with Catholicism when the former is a direct descendent of Puritan Protestantism.

The fish responds, "But I'm already a Christian, what's your point?"

Virtue Signaling is directly related to saying, "I'm a member of the Elect." Which protestant sect is it that determines eligibility for entrance to Heaven on the basis of saving OTHERS' souls?

Blogger ncartist December 06, 2015 12:50 PM  

15. jeffkhazelwood

Can one return to the flock out of a sense of renewed duty to the flock?

If you left because of sin in your life, then repent, confess Jesus Jesus Christ, and return; no one can gainsay you.

If you left because the Church is apostate, then seek the company of remnant believers, if there are any near you.

You have a duty to your family whether of not you or they are Christian; in fact, Paul calls it a test of one's faith.

Anonymous Anonymous December 06, 2015 12:52 PM  

VD you speak a lot of sense but FFS "There is one thing, and only one thing, capable of reliably cutting through the Unreality Principle (whatever that is) and that is Jesus Christ. Logic can't. Science can't. Rhetoric can't. Bonhomie and good will to Men can't."

Been on the beer pal?

My Christian upbringing taught me something about goodwill to all men, but not to sjw lengths. BTW I am an agnostic, who is neither too arrogant nor too stupid to believe that I am privy to the eternal verities.


Blogger Sherrie December 06, 2015 12:52 PM  

There is one thing, and only one thing, capable of reliably cutting through the Unreality Principle and that is Jesus Christ.

I'm Catholic. So is my husband. Our families have been Catholic for generations. Now, we can hardly bring ourselves to go to church anymore, and here's why...

Our monthly diocese newspaper is filled with pro-illegal immigration articles, touting our need for "compassion for those just seeking a better life." I started throwing the newspaper straight into the trash, because all it did was make me angry and disgusted. Why? Because the church, MY church, is condoning illegal activity that is destroying my culture and the financial prospects of my descendants.

As part of the annual fund drive, we used to give to Catholic Charities. I've since learned that Catholic Charities is one of the organizations resettling Muslims, who aside from the obvious dangers, go immediately on the dole and stay there. Once again, this is hurting the future of my child.

I used to enjoy the homilies (the weekly sermons). But ever since our new pope arrived on the scene, almost all of the sermons focus on how we need to be less greedy and do more to help those less fortunate. I mean, yeah, it's a good thing, but it's the same thing over and over and over again. Even our priest started joking about it, kind of a "Well, another one of these topics, you can see it's really important to the pope, etc..." (Apparently, the pope determines the weekly theme of each mass. Funny, I never realized that until the same topic was hit over and over again, so much so that the priest is joking about it.)

My son is almost the age to begin confirmation (the sacrament that makes him an adult in the church). I'm honestly stymied about what to do. I hate the idea of giving up our family traditions and religion, but I wonder if it's time to find another church.

I mean, how can I sit there in a place that promotes values so opposed to my own?

(A side note...my Mom is a boomer, and she loves this shit.)

Blogger ncartist December 06, 2015 12:56 PM  

@32
Kristol wrote, "There are different kinds of truths for different kinds of people. There are truths appropriate for children; truths that are appropriate for students; truths that are appropriate for educated adults; and truths that are appropriate for highly educated adults, and the notion that there should be one set of truths available to everyone is a modern democratic fallacy. It doesn't work."

To rephrase Kristol: there are " There are truths appropriate for the goyim; and, there are truths appropriate for the Jew."

Blogger ncartist December 06, 2015 1:00 PM  

@33
a wierd Protestant religion.
Once you start with the Universalist central dogma that under the skin all people are as identical as worker bees in a hive, their definition of, and response to SIN follows logically.


WTF. Prove it. Identify where Protestantism declares this. Apostate denominations are not evidence of this.

Some of you people have your own damn train: anti-Protestantism.

Blogger dc.sunsets December 06, 2015 1:19 PM  

@ncartist just open your eyes. All the terminology fits.

I couldn't care less about Catholicism vs Lutheran, Presbyterian, Episcopalian, Baptist or any other subgroup. The DNA of modern Progressivism is obvious in Puritan theology. Creating the KOHOE is their goal. Only the blind can't see this.

Blogger Dave December 06, 2015 1:24 PM  

@tz yeah Kerns cracks me up talking about using a block and tackle to install his Christmas tree.

Which particular post were you linking?

Anonymous Rolf December 06, 2015 1:32 PM  

You can ignore reality. But you can't ignore the side-effects of ignoring reality. Eventually, it WILL have its way with you.

Anonymous Rolf December 06, 2015 1:39 PM  

@41 - have you had a sit-down with the good Father and ripped him a new one over his destruction of his House, Flock, and Nation? If not, make it clear to him why you are leaving for a new Church.

Normally I wouldn't say anything, not being a Catholic. But right now I'm writing a SF book about the founding a new order of monks by a Catholic bishop, and looking at problems in the Church and the people whose needs are not being met, so I'm thinking about it more.

Blogger Rabbi B December 06, 2015 1:39 PM  

@18 Orville

Paraphrasing Paul, they departed from us, because they were never of us.

I think it was John you may have had in mind:

"They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us." (cf. I John 2)

As soon as you call them on their bullshit and show them the door, it doesn't take any time at all for them to manifest their true colors in spite of themselves.

Blogger Rabbi B December 06, 2015 1:39 PM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger Rabbi B December 06, 2015 1:40 PM  

That is what all their rigmarole, jabberwocky, lies and evasions, all their complex obfuscations, and penning endless tomes of endless nonsense from Marx to Keynes to Al Gore, all their riots, marches, protests, sit-ins, think-tanks, media moguls, money laundering, awards shows, convulsions, antics, stunts, clamor, libel, slander, and cacophony is for: Reality avoidance.

Precisely this.

Because [they] have said, “We have made a covenant with death,
And with Sheol we are in agreement.

When the overflowing scourge passes through,
It will not come to us,

For we have made lies our refuge,
And under falsehood we have hidden ourselves.”


- Isaiah 28

Blogger Rabbi B December 06, 2015 1:41 PM  

Such people are in for a rude awakening, to put it mildly. I for one, can hardly wait.

Blogger The Other Robot December 06, 2015 1:46 PM  

Strangely, I keep coming across books I want to read:

State Secrets: A Documentation of the Secret Revolutionary Mainspring Governing Anglo-American Politics by Comte Leon de Poncins.

OpenID jeffkhazelwood December 06, 2015 1:56 PM  

@39 @ncartist

"If you left because of sin in your life, then repent, confess Jesus Jesus Christ, and return; no one can gainsay you."

I have sinned with abandon. But, my departure was with the false pride of a child's cross-examination of the Bible. Haughty in triumph over words and ideas that only had merit according to my liking.

Childish stuff, really.

I alienated friends... That much is done.

Looking forward, I seek a path that is genuine.

Thank you for your encouragement. Self-reflection and study. Much to be done...

Anonymous BGS December 06, 2015 2:01 PM  

The growing slave trade in underage boys used as catamites by the Muslim is a clear enough sign of this, as well as the rape statistics

This is why Anderson Cooper says he fits in so well with moslem nations when asked about their treatment of gays.

Trump simply shouts the blasphemy that millions of people wish they could, but can't due to the scarlet letters they'd be branded with

I don't think anyone is worried about scarlet letters but they are about backstabbing whores. A conspiracy is nothing more than 2 women plotting to give a 3rd a bad peer review.

(Apparently, the pope determines the weekly theme of each mass.

Do the catholic churches that give Wednesday services recycle the same mass as Sunday?

Blogger Sherrie December 06, 2015 2:06 PM  

Have you had a sit-down with the good Father and ripped him a new one over his destruction of his House, Flock, and Nation? If not, make it clear to him why you are leaving for a new Church.

No. I haven't. I get the impression he doesn't like this any more than I do. Obviously, it's coming from higher than him, and he sure as hell isn't going to go against the pope/bishop/diocese. We live in a pretty conservative area. I'd be surprised if I were the only one frustrated by this.

IMO, the problem is a big, centralized "government". In this case, it's the Vatican, which is horribly out of touch with us American rubes in flyover country. That's part of the reason I wonder if I need another church, because I've become increasingly aware of how anything is corrupted by a far-off centralized dictatorship.

Of course, the irony isn't lost on me that the Vatican has a big-ass wall to protect themselves and their way of life.

The few times I've tried to bring it up (not with the priest, but in general conversation), I'm told that maybe I need to be a better Christian. Basically, I'm shamed into silence.

Until reading some of the stuff on this site, I didn't have a good strategy for speaking out, other than to try to defend myself.
---"It's not that I want to see people starve, but..."
---"It's not that I don't want to give to charity, but..."
---"It's not that I don't want people to live a better life, but..."

Now, after finding this blog (and the related books, which I need to read), I'm looking at this differently, I think I'll have better strategies for dealing with this in the future. That's why I was so excited to find this site.

Blogger Sherrie December 06, 2015 2:08 PM  

Do the catholic churches that give Wednesday services recycle the same mass as Sunday?
That's a good question. I honestly don't know. I've pretty much stuck with Sundays (or Saturday nights).

Blogger ncartist December 06, 2015 2:22 PM  

@ 44. dc.sunsets

I asked you to prove it. Bring forward the evidence.

Anonymous Mr. Rational December 06, 2015 2:24 PM  

I get the impression he doesn't like this any more than I do. Obviously, it's coming from higher than him, and he sure as hell isn't going to go against the pope/bishop/diocese. We live in a pretty conservative area. I'd be surprised if I were the only one frustrated by this.

Well, there's your solution.  Put out feelers.  Find out who those people are, preferably in a bunch of places.  And when the message from the pulpit is all cucksermonive again, you all GET UP AND WALK OUT.

If the collection was before the sermon, you leave nothing in the collection plate the next week.  Hit them where it hurts.

Blogger EasyCompany December 06, 2015 2:25 PM  

41. Sherrie

You need to look into the SSPX.

Anonymous Rolf December 06, 2015 2:29 PM  

@51 - the problem, of course, is that they will do everything within their power to drag everyone else down with themselves rather than face reality alone. I, for one, do not look forward to THAT particular scene.

I will say "I told you so" with great sadness. But say it I will. And even they will deny, deflect, and denigrate.

@55 Interesting. Thanks for the feedback.

Blogger Escoffier December 06, 2015 2:51 PM  

Ok Guys, long time reader, lurker and very occasional commenter here. I do a little blog about eating a low carb diet and I posted a funny today with a very mild racial component. I just received what I think is an attempt to police my blog from and SJW. Now my blog is a politics free zone as much as possible as I want to just share my experience doing this diet so here's a tiny url link. http://tinyurl.com/jrzhyjx

Here's my first draft...

"Before I mock you incessantly and wonder idly about your general hygiene practices, parentage or lack therof I just want to be sure, you saw the hilarious image above and your first thought was to be offended about race?

Because if so may I recommend some sort of professional counseling or that you increase your intake of delicious animal fats until sanity returns?"

I'm pretty sure my 5-6 readers would freak out to know that I read this blog daily so if we can keep this connection on the downlow I would appreciate that.

Let the withering retorts fly!

Blogger Escoffier December 06, 2015 2:53 PM  

Oh, and don't give me any crap about the apology on the post, that's the joke!

Blogger Sherrie December 06, 2015 3:04 PM  

Well, there's your solution. Put out feelers. Find out who those people are, preferably in a bunch of places. And when the message from the pulpit is all cucksermonive again, you all GET UP AND WALK OUT.

I see what you're saying. You do have a point. But I'd be lying if I said I'd ever consider doing that. Christians are under siege already, and I wouldn't want to bring that kind of drama into a place of worship. They're good people, and I'm not going to be a wedge that divides my local parishioners. Probably, I'd be more likely to picket the Vatican. But seriously, I do appreciate the idea, even if I'd never act on it.

You need to look into the SSPX.
Hmmm...I've never heard of it. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

Blogger D. G. D. Davidson December 06, 2015 3:28 PM  

The Church will survive all the corruption and foolishness of her leaders. She always has. Don't lose heart.

Anonymous BigGaySteve December 06, 2015 3:44 PM  

I do a little blog about eating a low carb diet and I posted a funny today with a very mild racial component. I

Jerry Seinfeld had pretty much free reign from the censors. He did a whole episode about masturbation but the only thing the censors wouldn't permit was noticing "I never seen a black order a salad"

I'm pretty sure my 5-6 readers would freak out to know that I read this blog daily so if we can keep this connection on the downlow

You see SJWs react to links from Gaypatriot.

Blogger kurt9 December 06, 2015 3:45 PM  

John Wright has said essentially the same thing about the Left as did Ayn Rand in the 1970's. She also predicted that the Left would increasingly reject objective reality in favor of their delusional ideology, and for essentially the same reasons. Socialism and other forms of collectivist economics have failed to deliver on the goods. She also predicted that the semi-free societies of the West would do a better job at environmental protection than the collectivist societies of the Soviet Union and China, a fact that became obvious following the collapse of the Soviet Union and the economic reforms in China.

Rand's argument was similar to that of Wright that the reason why the Left rejects reality is because ultimately they do not believe in anything at all. They don't even believe in their own progressive causes (gay rights, etc.). I think this is the reason why they do not speak out against Islam despite its poor human rights record on anything the West would consider human rights. It also fits in with how SJW's, when they infiltrate an organization, are incapable of productive accomplishment in any form.

Libertarians often talk about stuff like seasteading or the free state project. Much, not all, of this talk is flaky. Nevertheless, it indicates the desire and ability of libertarian types to go out and do something on their own, autonomous from the rest of society they want nothing to do with. In contrast, SJW's and leftists in general never talk about doing something on their own. They only talk about changing whatever existing society they happen to be in to fit their desired ideas. What this tells me is that they are not capable of creating anything on their own. This is because leftist though, and socialism in particular, are not about creating anything on their own. The leftist world-view is inherently parasitical.

Blogger kurt9 December 06, 2015 3:48 PM  

Ayn Rand talked about the "new left" in her books "Capitalism the Unknown Ideal" and "The Return of the Primitive; The Anti-Industrial Revolution".

I am well aware that many of you her dislike Rand because of her attitude towards religion. I respect this. However, I think Rand was correct on many social and economic issues.

Blogger Escoffier December 06, 2015 3:56 PM  

Well Kurt, I agree she was right about many things but she was also regrettably three gallons of crazy sauce as well!

Blogger Escoffier December 06, 2015 3:57 PM  

Update, I haven't replied directly myself but the only comment has been favorable.

BGS -- any snark suggestions?

OpenID aeolipera December 06, 2015 4:07 PM  

This is what I call ‘the Unreality Principle’ which is the principle that a lie is better than the truth because to lie and to believe a lie proves one’s loyalty.

More generally, it is the belief that it's good to believe some lie for some reason. Loyalty is one possible reason.

This fits nicely with Mill's utilitarian morality, because sometimes it's materially beneficial to lie or believe a lie. E.g. Isn't it better if we all believe Y because X?

X = {"to get along" or "because it's motivating", "fake it until you make it", etc.}

Blogger John Wright December 06, 2015 4:07 PM  

@9

"How many people in those other cultures would say they're unhappy, which essentially appears to be the crux of Mr Wright's argument?"

You have utterly misstated the argument. I was not talking about happiness or any emotion. The essential point of the argument is that Leftism is an idolatry based on three things: socialism in politics, multiculturalism in ethics, and dishonesty in morals. Two of those idols are smashed and they have doubled down on the third.

Where is there even remotely in that argument any reference to emotion?

The phrase I use 'productive of human happiness' is talking about well being.

I am asking you to compare our least well off with their least well off. Compare being an overweight yet unemployed poor man in America, with being a dalit in pre-British India, a slave in pre-British Singapore, and a human sacrificial victim in pre-Spanish Mexico. I assume the difference is patently obvious. I am talking about happiness in that sense: life, liberty, property, human flourishing.

Blogger John Wright December 06, 2015 4:15 PM  

"I shall offer friendship and support, while remaining apart from the flock."

You are welcome among the Catholics. Join us! All the Catholics I know are bad Catholics struggling with the faith. (Good Catholics are so rare, we declare them saints and build statues to them).

Since VD made me Pope, I can offer you my personal absolution to your lack of faith. If you have enough faith to want to have faith, that is enough and more than enough.

Most peoples problems with faith, by the by, are not based on their rejection of Christ's love, but based on some intellectual stumbling block or distaste for some idea or some doctrine UNRELATED to Christ's love -- but which some fool Christian told them was the essential point of Christ's love.

Are you willing to reject the Devil and defy him, to repudiate your surrenders to him, and denounce all his worldly powers, pomps, and false pleasures, his vanities and toys and tricks and lies, and take up arms against him, and side with us, and throw down their vile altars and idols? Then you are welcome and more than welcome!

Dive in! The living waters are fine! Eat the bread of heaven! Drink the wine of life!

Blogger Aeoli Pera December 06, 2015 4:16 PM  

A more pertinent example for X in the modern day would be anti-racism. We must believe Y because believing otherwise would be racist.

The cause of holiness spirals may be like the constant leftward shift of institutions. I suspect that the reason people have been repeating this throughout history ("such and such group will devolve into pure delusion") is that all people and institutions who aren't explicitly devoted to truth without compromise will compromise it more and more over time.

Anonymous Taarkoth December 06, 2015 4:20 PM  

The situation with your parish's homilies sounds like it might have more to do with your diocese's bishop, as my church's priest has yet to vary from his preferred topic of condemning feelgoodism.

Regardless, if you're going to Mass for any reason other than the Eucharist you're doing it wrong. If the homilies are stupid then ignore them. Listen to the litugy, receive the Eucharist, confess when needed.

Re: the SSPX: ignore them. Neither the apostles nor the church fathers have anything good to say about schismatics. The Church has survived two millenia of terrible clergy, if the gates of Hell haven't triumphed yet I doubt they'll manage it any time soon.

Blogger James Dixon December 06, 2015 4:20 PM  

> ---"It's not that I want to see people starve, but..."
---"It's not that I don't want to give to charity, but..."
---"It's not that I don't want people to live a better life, but..."

Point out that by destroying the fabric of modern western civilization, they are the ones ensuring that future generations will starve and not have a better life.

If he demands that you need to give to charity, find a local food pantry/soup kitchen and donate time/money to it. Keep your charity local and out of the hands of statewide/national organizations.

Blogger John Wright December 06, 2015 4:26 PM  

"Also, if you are an Anglican priest and convert you can become a priest even if you're married. Amazing, no?"

No. Unmarried priests is a recent feature of our Church, something we started in the Sixth Century or so. It is a matter of discipline, not doctrine. The rule against married priests is a human rule and can be changed by humans; the rule against priestesses is a divine rule and cannot be changed by humans.

It is amazing how much outsiders misunderstand the Catholic Church. Almost as if invisible, evil spirits cloud men's minds when they speak of us. All our rules and doctrines and theology, speculations and arguments and official conclusions are all written down in plain and clear Latin for anyone to read.

Blogger Matamoros December 06, 2015 4:28 PM  

@54, @56 Mass is always the Mass, except it may be a low or high mass; but the homilies, the epistles, gospel and old testament readings will be different, as will the Saint recognized for that day.

@72 You are welcome among the Catholics. Join us! All the Catholics I know are bad Catholics struggling with the faith. (Good Catholics are so rare, we declare them saints and build statues to them).

How so very true. Well stated. As Jesus said, he came for sinners.

Your ancestors were Catholic, and left for whatever reason. Come home to the Church of your forefathers, you will be glad you did. I know I am.

Anonymous BigGaySteve December 06, 2015 4:28 PM  

BGS -- any snark suggestions?

Tell them you got the link from gaypatriots @GayPatriot twitter feed but don't provide a link. By the time they realize you didn't, any chorf would be in tears.

Check out the KKK gay pride parade they would have to get thru the dissuasion of https://twitter.com/DKurdistan/status/673591706177155072/photo/1

@BigGaySteveC

Blogger James Dixon December 06, 2015 4:29 PM  

> Which protestant sect is it that determines eligibility for entrance to Heaven on the basis of saving OTHERS' souls?

None that I'm aware of. Care to enlighten us?

> The Church will survive all the corruption and foolishness of her leaders.

Of course. Because they're not her leaders. It's not our Church, it's His, and He will not abandon it.

Blogger John Wright December 06, 2015 4:37 PM  

@63

Come to my church. My priest is not getting orders from the Vatican on what to pray about. It is all "Stop using contraceptives, sinners!" and "No abortions! Topple the smoking altars of Moloch!" and "Give till it hurts!"

Compassion for those in need, yes, of course. That is part of the mainstream Christian doctrine. Letting the enemy inside the gate during wartime? Not a single homily I have heard has been on that topic.

I am in Northern Virginia. Is this a regional thing?

Blogger Escoffier December 06, 2015 4:40 PM  

That's nice BGS, still deciding whether to weigh in at all but I like the cut of your jib.

Blogger John Wright December 06, 2015 4:41 PM  

@67
"However, I think Rand was correct on many social and economic issues."

Hear, hear. She was wrong about altruism being evil, but right about the evils effects when altruism is used as a weapon to disarm its victims -- which she saw in detail, up close and personal, in Russia in her youth.

She saw the way to cure collectivism was by selfisness, exchanging one sin for another. The way to cure collectivism is Christ. The way to cure selfishness is Christ.

Blogger Geir Balderson December 06, 2015 4:51 PM  

Excellent essay Mr. Wright! Thank you for delving into the scary mind of the Lefty and explaining it in simple terms.

Anonymous Joe Blowe December 06, 2015 4:54 PM  

The few times I've tried to bring it up (not with the priest, but in general conversation), I'm told that maybe I need to be a better Christian.

The country has almost 100 million unemployed, millions more underemployed, a debased currency, a teetering economy, a fracturing society, and a certifiably insane ruling class. How is inundating the American people with ten of millions of illiterate, unskilled, homeless, jobless, diseased, low IQ, future welfare cases supposed to be "Christian"? What about some goddamn Christian compassion for us Americans that already living here?

Anonymous Quartermaster December 06, 2015 4:54 PM  

@55
Don't hesitate to leave. To quote John Wesley, "The burden of schism does not fall on the one who leaves. It falls on the one that made it impossible to stay."

We are watching the formation of the harlot church seen in the book of Revelation. It will be destroyed because it has not just left its first love, but it has turned its back on Christ.

Anonymous BGS December 06, 2015 4:55 PM  

New Gender Fairy Book being taught in schools. http://www.mrctv.org/blog/
New Children’s Book on Gender Identities Marketed for Children 4+ Ashley Rae Goldenberg | December 1, 2015 3:04pm ET
Australia’s Minister for Equality, Martin Foley, has introduced the book in an “inner-city primary school.”

Blogger Geir Balderson December 06, 2015 4:56 PM  

@#7 VD

Oh my, Yes! I believe this present pope is delusional. He dwells on things of the World such as Global Warming as if he doesn't trust God to take care of His own creation. I wonder if Popes can be impeached?

Blogger dc.sunsets December 06, 2015 6:24 PM  

@ncartist just open your eyes. All the terminology fits.

I couldn't care less about Catholicism vs Lutheran, Presbyterian, Episcopalian, Baptist or any other subgroup. The DNA of modern Progressivism is obvious in Puritan theology. Creating the KOHOE is their goal. Only the blind can't see this.

Blogger wrf3 December 06, 2015 6:40 PM  

dc.sunsets @38: Which protestant sect is it that determines eligibility for entrance to Heaven on the basis of saving OTHERS' souls?

Yes, dc.sunsets. Which Protestant sect is it, specifically?

Blogger wrf3 December 06, 2015 6:45 PM  

Geir Balderson @87: I believe this present pope is delusional. He dwells on things of the World such as Global Warming as if he doesn't trust God to take care of His own creation.

Of course God can take care of His creation. In fact, He's going to destroy it and re-make it. (2 Peter 3). But, until then, we are supposed to be caretakers of what He has given us (Gen 2:15).

Regardless of which side you're on in the global warming debate, it's clear -- at least to this very old Eagle Scout --- that we are out of balance with Nature.

Are you saying that we have no responsibility for how we treat Nature?

Blogger Kirk Parker December 06, 2015 7:02 PM  

Sherrie @ 63.

" Christians are under siege already, "

You're missing the point that this kind of foolishness is one of the leading reasons why that siege is effective.

Anonymous NorthernHamlet December 06, 2015 7:20 PM  

John Wright,

I was not talking about happiness

The phrase I use 'productive of human happiness'

There's that word.

I am asking you to compare our least well off with their least well off.

I don't speak to the happiness of others, though you seem to have no issue doing so. This is little more than patting yourself on the back.

I am talking about happiness in that sense: life, liberty, property, human flourishing.

There's that word again. This is simply a bunch of vague handwaving about your own values.

Forgive me for being a little rude, but I hear: "But you see, I LOVE my big house and it's good and we have the most big houses, so we're awesome! See?"

I find nothing convincing about any of these sorts of arguments.

Blogger Cail Corishev December 06, 2015 7:46 PM  

It's difficult to fight Universalist Cathedral Dogma with Catholicism when the former is a direct descendent of Puritan Protestantism.

It's even more difficult because the current occupants of the Vatican are full-fledged believers in that Universalist dogma just as much as any Puritans ever were. If you want to fight Universalism with Catholicism, first you have to locate it and explain to people how it's the opposite of what they're seeing.

By the way, John C. Wright could be elected pope. The only requirement is that the candidate be a baptized male Catholic. If a layman is elected (which has happened at least once), he would immediately be ordained a priest and then a bishop, so as to take office as the bishop of Rome. I think a married man would have to stop living with his wife at that point, but I'm not sure about that part.

That assumes he accepts, of course.

Blogger Sherrie December 06, 2015 7:49 PM  

Lots of great insight here on my Catholic church frustrations. To save space, I'll avoid responding individually, but you've given me lots of food for thought, which I really appreciate.

To answer the location question, I'm in Northern Alabama. Unlike my hometown in Michigan, there aren't a ton of Catholic churches here. Thinking about it further, I do think it's partly our diocese. A lot of this started when Alabama followed Arizona in implementing tougher immigration enforcement. The homilies themselves probably wouldn't chafe me, if it weren't for my knowledge of what the church is doing behind the scenes. I realize they do good things, but they also use their money and influence to support two things that I'm absolutely against -- illegal immigration and importing "refugees." And don't get me started on the pope and his distaste for capitalism.

Thanks again for all the insight. You've given me lots to think about.

Blogger Rusty Fife December 06, 2015 7:52 PM  

@69

Too many words. Generically, "why do you hate..." or "we don't care" are useful.

Your second comment could be reworked to infer the guy is an idiot and AMOG him; "ohhh, you mistook my 'apology' in the title as sencere; that's cute."

Anonymous John J December 06, 2015 8:03 PM  

Excellent

Anonymous farmer Tom December 06, 2015 8:03 PM  

#41 Sherrie,

We have a devote Catholic lady, who has become so disenchanted with her local Catholic church, she has been attending services at our local Bible believing church for the last 6 or 7 years.

While she still identifies as a Catholic, she has spent much time with us in Bible study and prayer. She is torn between leaving and staying, so she goes to both.

Blogger Cail Corishev December 06, 2015 8:23 PM  

Sherrie, most towns have one Catholic parish to which the more traditional people have gravitated over the past 50 years. It may have a Latin Mass, or just an unusually reverent rendition of the Novus Ordo. In my town, I can tell you which one it is, and at which ones you can most expect to hear pro-immivasion shaming sermons. So look around, because there's probably an orthodox parish there somewhere, unless you have a very bad bishop who prevents it.

Blogger Cail Corishev December 06, 2015 8:27 PM  

Sherrie, I missed in your later comment that you said there aren't a lot of Catholic churches in your area. It's still worth asking and looking around, because if there's a traditional parish, it may be very small and may not get any promotion from the diocese. Sometimes a traditional parish will be approved by the bishop and completely legit, but the local hierarchy will do its best to make sure no one goes there.

Blogger Rusty Fife December 06, 2015 8:28 PM  

@69

Logical fallacies are disarmed with one of two questions: "so what do you mean by..." and "what does that have to do with it". All rhetoric is logical fallacies, or it would be dialectic.

"Why do you hate..." throws their fallacy of ambiguity back at them.

"We don't care" or "so what" calls out their fallacy of relevance; i.e. "what does that have to do with it?".

Anonymous TroperA December 06, 2015 8:30 PM  

How is inundating the American people with ten of millions of illiterate, unskilled, homeless, jobless, diseased, low IQ, future welfare cases supposed to be "Christian"? What about some goddamn Christian compassion for us Americans that already living here?

You can add that for the same cost of shipping one immigrant over to this country and feeding and housing them, that you could support five immigrants in their home country. Also, by encouraging the biggest strivers of a poor country to depart from it, you leave the remaining countrymen with a brain and ambition drain from which they might never recover.

Remember, Progressive elites want to flood our country with non-whites because they are importing an army to destroy what they consider to be the biggest threat to the world; the biggest threat to their power: Middle class, non-degenerate White people. That's why a kebab couple can shoot up a facility filled with vulnerable adults and the media and politicians will do everything they can to shut down a white backlash AND disarm ordinary Americans so that they'll be even more susceptible to terrorist attacks in the future. Look at what people do and see where their true loyalty lies...

Blogger LP999 December 06, 2015 8:31 PM  

Very helpful. Mr. Wright eloquently explains the issue.

There is little reaching or its very complex to reach the hardened of heart, soul, mind. The lack of reality or lost sense of agency or whatever it nearly pointless to fight over. Like fighting with one given to drink or one with significant problems, its pointless.

Prayer and compassion is not the issue, there is time when its best to walk away from a lost situation or a divide beyond repair.

Blogger Cail Corishev December 06, 2015 8:34 PM  

The DNA of modern Progressivism is obvious in Puritan theology. Creating the KOHOE is their goal.

Something like this?: "The peoples of the earth turn to the United Nations as the last hope of concord and peace. We presume to present here, together with Our own, their tribute to honor and of hope. [....] Your vocation is to make brothers not only of some, but of all peoples. A difficult undertaking? Unquestionably; but this is the undertaking, your very noble undertaking. Who does not see the necessity of arriving thus progressively at the establishment of a world authority, able to act effectively on the juridical and political levels? Here again We repeat Our wish: Go forward."

Oh wait, that's not a Puritan; that's Paul VI speaking to the UN, full of atheist communists and secular humanists, in 1965.

Anonymous patrick kelly December 06, 2015 8:44 PM  

@Sherrie

Look east of Rome and you might find your home with us Orthodox Christians.

Anonymous Yid Kid December 06, 2015 9:00 PM  

@72 John Wright. I've heard of you speak of the joy of your Christian faith before, but it's another thing to see it. The logical insights you bring help people who would listen see within the dark. The joy is Galadriel's phial, that lights it for all nearby.

Blogger James Dixon December 06, 2015 9:02 PM  

> To answer the location question, I'm in Northern Alabama....

http://www.thecatholicdirectory.com/directory.cfm?fuseaction=show_state&country=US&state=AL

There may not be much close to you, but it looks like there may be some options.

Blogger ray December 06, 2015 9:21 PM  

"There is one thing, and only one thing, capable of reliably cutting through the Unreality Principle and that is Jesus Christ. Logic can't. Science can't. Rhetoric can't. Bonhomie and good will to Men can't. Jesus himself told his disciples to turn their backs and brush the dirt from their feet in response to those who would not listen. Do the same"

Good counsel. A big part of the problem with these individuals is they refuse the humility of admitting that God made this glorious being, Jeshua, instead of them. Or they want to be Equal etc.

It's like resenting the QB of your team for throwing a bunch of TD passes. Instead of like, you know . . . me.

Jeshua really is King and every good thing said about him in Scripture is true. I checked around and there is nobody past or present fit for the job. Trotting out Mohammed or Buddha or such is just nonsense. Most of these folks know it, too.

He's the Truth and if they cast you out for loving him, or it, then it's eff off and on to riper corn. And if they get uppity enough that's when the bears come out.

Blogger ray December 06, 2015 9:40 PM  



"My fellow Americans, I am confident we will succeed in this mission because we are on the right side of history. We were founded upon a belief in human dignity that no matter who you are, or where you come from, or what you look like or what religion you practice, you are equal in the eyes of God and equal in the eyes of the law."


-- Barack Hussein Obama, 12/6/15


My fellow Americans, yet! :O)

God does not consider all 'religions' equal. Does the Bible say that worship of Asherah is equal to worship of Yahweh? It was a quick trip from all religions being tolerated to all religions being Legally Equal, eh?

Christ is not a religion, he's Father's chosen Son. Obedience to him is not optional. Enforcement of all religions as equal is the way of Babylon, not of God.

Blogger The Other Robot December 06, 2015 10:14 PM  

Koran 5:51: “O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends….”

Do you have Moslem friends?

Blogger Joshua_D December 06, 2015 10:40 PM  

15. jeffkhazelwood December 06, 2015 9:34 AM
"There is one thing, and only one thing, capable of reliably cutting through the Unreality Principle and that is Jesus Christ. Logic can't. Science can't. Rhetoric can't. Bonhomie and good will to Men can't."

This argument seems true to me, but I struggle with some basic questions.

Can one return to the flock out of a sense of renewed duty to the flock? Is keeping faith with kin and a desire to support the defense of Christendom sufficient to allow a good faith return?

Religious solidarity should aid the fight that we are in as a people. But, does someone who’s lost his personal faith do more harm than good by endeavoring to rejoin his faithful neighbors?

My bonhomie and good will to kinsmen are earnest. Is it unhelpful fakery to try to return in body before being able to return in spirit?


For we have all sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God. Support your people. Love the Father. Rejoice.


As Rabbi B suggested, whoever is not against Jesus Christ is for Jesus Christ.

Jesus never asks for perfection. He never asks that you merit His love. He only asks that you acknowledge Him=s Sacrifice and accept Him as your Savior.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” - Jesus, Matthew 11

God is good.

Blogger Desiderius December 06, 2015 11:22 PM  

"Even Bill Clinton, a weasel without an honest bone in his body, announced the era of big government to be over, and took the first step to dismantling the American version of Marxism, Johnson’s Great Society."

For three years. Then he exhumed its undead corpse to save him from Ken Starr. It's been eating brains ever since.

"If he saw socialism as a failure, anyone can see it."

Except his wife and her legion of midwits.

"It is the attitude of a nagging wife unwilling to divorce a hard-working husband and provider she hates and loathes. Multiculturalism is nagging."

A nagging wife unwilling to divorce would actually be a good sight better than what we have in reality. Nagging is just shit-testing, and means she still has interest. It's easily remedied by giving her the masculinity she craves. What we in fact have is a virus attacking the formation of masculinity itself.

"The Christian West, with our industrial and scientific revolutions (the byproduct of our Christian metaphysics, university system and Christian individualism) not to mention our legal and juridical advances are held by hypothesis not to have made any particular advances in human liberty and happiness."

If the West were still Christian, we'd still have both the masculinity to stop the nagging, and an inherent resistance to the virus.

"This is what I call ‘the Unreality Principle’ which is the principle that a lie is better than the truth because to lie and to believe a lie proves one’s loyalty. To lie and believe lies is morally superior than to tell and believe the truth, and the more outrageous the lie, the greater the moral superiority one can award oneself."

Again, the reality is worse than this. The (post-modern) bullshitter is worse than a liar.

See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Bullshit

Blogger dfordoom December 06, 2015 11:59 PM  

@63. Sherrie

They're good people

That's where you're making your mistake. They're not good people. If they have corrupted your church, or if they have aided and abetted those who have corrupted your church, then they are not good people. Maybe they're stupid rather than evil but stupidity does more than evil. Either way it's best to avoid them.

If Christians had stood up for their religion rather than surrendering to the SJWs our civilisation wouldn't be in the mess it's in.

Anonymous Reader December 07, 2015 12:03 AM  

Indeed, Mr. Wright, can string words together beautifully.

My apologies the following comments are long.

I am not an Indian, nor an Indologist, just someone who got deeply interested in the spiritual literature and tradition of India. I understand that it’s said that the word caste has no translation in the Indian languages.

The Vedas, on the strength of its discussion of a broad range of topics which include cosmology, genealogy, geography, mythology, legends, music, dance, art of sex, yoga practice, culture, philosophy, and theology, can be considered to give a robust view of the ancient Indian society, and its system of social stratification, classes. The system is actually called varna. The four classes were the Brahmins (priestly people), the Kshatriyas (also called Rajanyas, who were rulers, administrators and warriors), the Vaishyas (artisans, merchants, tradesmen and farmers), and Shudras (labouring classes). These are the classes mentioned in the ancient texts, specifically the Bhagavad Gita (Song of God) and the Bhagavat Purana (Ancient Tales of followers of the Lord).

I can’t recall reading from any Vedic texts or even taught by Indian gurus, any fifth class such as the untouchables.

Varna, as I understand it, is an occupational classification in which the Brahmin or the priestly class occupy the highest position or one that should be given the highest regard. Another system, is the jati and again, I understand that as just classification based on ethnicity.

Its said that the British Raj (the rule of British empire) had a role in making the class system, caste, legally rigid. Not a far fetched idea, what with their own prince and princesses and subjects!

In my opinion, the varna system is not anymore different than the Roman rule, when the Pope as the highest authority can call for a crusade.

And with regard to the “untouchables” how is the idea any different from Vox’s ideal of segregation of ethnic groups. Remember his formula: proximity + diversity = fighting. Still I’d say again that I did not see the class “untouchables” in the parts of Vedic texts, that I have read so far.

Regarding jati, or classification from ethnicity or birth. How is Vox’s idea that the genes are a good determinant of how a person will behave or conduct himself in a community, any different from classifying a person based on birth? And again how is Vox’s idea that the genes are a good determinant of the intelligence of a person, which in turn also a good determinant of a person’s success in a given vocation or job, if you like, any different from jati. Vox has said that he did not believe that the mud the person is currently standing on will transform him.

Being religious myself, I greatly admire India’s ancient society. One practice from the very distant past which was carried even in the modern time is the practice of giving names based on God’s characteristics, nature and activities as described in their shastras. Ask an Indian the meaning of his/her name and you will believe me.

Of course, I know that Vox is a Christian and so do most of the readers on here and I seldom discuss my own faith, but many of you will be surprised that the personalist branch of Hinduism has concepts similar to Christianity’s Holy Trinity. Like,the concept of paramatma(or supersoul) which is the equivalent of the Christian Holy Spirit and the Bhagavan, the Godhead, which is the same as God the father and the Hindu concept of a God sent being , like Jesus Christ.

Anonymous Reader December 07, 2015 12:04 AM  

Sorry, continuation of my previous comments.

Being religious myself, I greatly admire India’s spiritual wealth in the form of the Vedas. Through the Vedic texts, I can appreciate their literature, society and practices. Of course, as in any culture there are some practices that do not make sense to a modern mind/eye.

One practice from the very distant past which was carried into the modern times is the giving of names in relation to God’s characteristics, nature and activities as described in their shastras. There are great concepts mentioned in the Vedas that are being talked about in the modern cosmology, like the multiverse; and the cosmic egg that cycles between expansion and total collapse. I understand that the cosmic egg is somewhat opposite to the big bang theory, but what if the big bang is part of the cycle.

Sorry, I am not here to lecture you all, just to share my thoughts when I saw that Mr. Wright has a somewhat negative view of the Indian culture. After exploring 6 or 7 systems of religion, including 2 variants of Xianity, I came to dislike organized religion. I still, however, try to talk to God every single day.

Blogger Desiderius December 07, 2015 12:27 AM  

"Oh wait, that's not a Puritan; that's Paul VI speaking to the UN, full of atheist communists and secular humanists, in 1965."

Following in the footsteps laid down twenty years before by his Protestant brothers:

https://nickbsteves.wordpress.com/american-malvern/

Anonymous Leonidas December 07, 2015 12:37 AM  

@94: To answer the location question, I'm in Northern Alabama. Unlike my hometown in Michigan, there aren't a ton of Catholic churches here

It's not the diocese. Taarkoth and I are both in the same parish, in the Diocese of Birmingham, and I can absolutely confirm what he says about our priest's hardcore stance against feelgoodism. I miss the assistant pastor who just left - he was even more hardcore. I'm still forming an opinion on his replacement.

If you're in the Tennessee Valley, I can point you at a couple of parishes to consider. Outside of that area, I couldn't speak to it.

Blogger dfordoom December 07, 2015 12:38 AM  

@74. Taarkoth.

The Church has survived two millenia of terrible clergy, if the gates of Hell haven't triumphed yet I doubt they'll manage it any time soon.

The churches survived in the past because despite bad leaders they had lots and lots of ordinary people who remained basically loyal to their faiths. They had a mass following. Today they have tiny followings, and the numbers who are genuine Christians are even tinier. The mass followings are gone. All that is left of Christianity in the West is an empty shell.

I take no pleasure in saying this. I'd love to see a revival of Christianity in the West. But it's incredibly unlikely.

Anonymous Leonidas December 07, 2015 12:40 AM  

On the other hand, I've heard on good authority that Bishop Baker is a complete blowhard. So there is that.

Anonymous Leonidas December 07, 2015 12:44 AM  

As an example, at the Sunday mass beginning this year's Holy Week, our recently reassigned assistant pastor made the following comment (as close to an exact quote as I can remember these 7 months later):

"If you can't walk with Christ this week then you're not a Christian. It's true, you're not."

It wasn't in a fire and brimstone voice, either, it was just quiet and matter of fact.

That sanctuary is carpeted, and you still could've heard a pin drop after that statement.

Anonymous Rolf December 07, 2015 2:23 AM  

@119 I'm not a Catholic, but trying to learn about it. What, precisely, did the assistant pastor mean when he said "walk with Christ?" It's not a phrase I'm familiar with. Not dense, just ignorant; spell it out for me.

Blogger Rambam December 07, 2015 3:11 AM  

Catholics are fucked up. There is no other way to explain it. You need to start over from the beginning.


Blogger Danby December 07, 2015 3:19 AM  

@ray
admitting that God made this glorious being, Jeshua,

Sorry, ray, you're not a Christian

Blogger Danby December 07, 2015 3:22 AM  

@rambam, did it occur to you that your ignorance is not objective? Catholicism has 2000 years of the smartest people on the planet arguing over every nuance. Try reading some of that instead of an illiterate Protestant pastor's diatribe to find out what the Church teaches.

Blogger Rambam December 07, 2015 3:27 AM  

@Danby did it occur to you that Catholicism is arguing a point that is irrelevant.

Blogger Rambam December 07, 2015 3:57 AM  

Catholicism is B.S.

Blogger John Wright December 07, 2015 1:50 PM  

@92 NorthernHamlet

Sir, you have misconstrued my remarks with the same facility you used to misconstrue my original post.

If you cannot tell the difference between the way the poorest of the poor are treated in modern America versus ancient Rome, China, India, or any of the other great civilizations, this is only because you have suspended your faculty of judgment.

By dismissing all comparisons as 'patting oneself on the back' you have in effect bowed out of the conversation, and, indeed, out of the realm of rational thought altogether. By your standard, no comparison between better and worse can be made, because any man who sees something as 'better' is now 'patting himself on the back'.

In logic, this is called Ad Hominem. You accuse my motives without evidence, assuming my motives are an illegitimate desire for self flattery, while at the same time refusing to challenge the substance of the remark.

Yours is a remarkable combination of intellectual cowardice and self-imposed stupidity. I now have your measure, sir. Further discussion is pointless: go off into the sty to grunt and snort with other beasts that have not reason.

Blogger John Wright December 07, 2015 1:59 PM  

"Catholics are fucked up. There is no other way to explain it. You need to start over from the beginning."

Yeah. They are all sinners. Fancy that!

And you are right about the starting over bit. It is called baptism. Your old Adam nature is washed away, and our loyalty and love for sin and death, and in its place is a new beginning, a Christ nature, a loyalty to righteousness and life, abundant life, endless life.

That is what the poor, old, crazed, delusion Catholic Church preaches, has always preached, and will preach to the end of time.

If you think you can find a church without sinners, go for it. Good luck and may God have mercy on your orphaned soul.

Meanwhile, Christ will be with us, in our rotten and horrible and sinful Church, breaking bread with us.

Blogger ray December 07, 2015 2:18 PM  

"Sorry, ray, you're not a Christian"


Heh satan's tool tells me I'm not Christian. And that he is[n't] sorry!

See? You hurt My Fweewings so now I'm throwing you out of the religion I own, Christianity.

And these are the men to restore the West? lol

Anonymous Hermione December 07, 2015 2:31 PM  

@120 The priest is basically commenting on the huge number of Catholics at the parish that can show up for the celebration (Easter Sunday) without following Christ through his passion, or even "walking" with him the rest of the year. In the Catholic Church Holy Week starts on Palm Sunday, and in addition to the requirements of Lent (fasting, attending Ash Wednesday mass, going to confession, etc) there is the holy Triduum that follows the end of Christ's life. There is Maundy Thursday Mass, Good Friday Mass and the Easter Vigil on Saturday. He was imploring the parishioners to actually attend the Holy Triduum and acknowledge the crucifixion - to "walk with Christ" through the masses, instead of complain about how much time it takes up to go to Mass three nights in a row and not show up.

Anonymous Leonidas December 07, 2015 2:41 PM  

@129:

Simultaneously, it was a reference to the idea that converting to Christianity does not mean, "hey, Jesus is going to make my life perfect now!" It means taking up your own cross - whatever that may be - and following along with him. The latter idea has been standard Christian doctrine (Catholic, Orthodox, and mainline protestant) from the beginning. The former is called "prosperity gospel" and is heresy, plain and simple.

Or, as I prefer to think of it, God sent his one and only son to Earth to incarnate as a human so that he could be brutally and mercilessly tortured to death. Why should we think that he's going to make our lives easy?

Blogger Matamoros December 07, 2015 3:32 PM  

@Sherrie

I know Birmingham has a church that only offers the Latin Mass. You might try there.

Also, don't be afraid to look at the Eastern Rites within the Catholic Church such as the Ruthenian Rite, Ukrainian Rite, etc. There are 30 some Eastern Rites in the Catholic Church.

Blogger Joshua Sinistar December 07, 2015 7:35 PM  

All of you are overthinking a thoughtless and worthless creature of Satan which has not motives but desperate excuses and obfuscations to hide their obvious and inherent inferiority. All these fake morality plays and rancid celebrations of inferiority are merely an obvious and direct attempt by overly emotional inherently weak willed and undisciplined morons to lower standards they could never hope to ever meet. There are no standards that they will ever be able to meet. Even a bar lying on the ground is too high a standard for these inferior creatures of Satan's sewer to try to meet much less exceed.

Blogger Unknown December 07, 2015 7:50 PM  

Yep, I've long maintained that the entire Leftwing agenda is a house of cards built on lies and fraud -- all in the pursuit of a collectivist, redistributionist, un-American agenda.

The examples are endless. Lies about welfare (the “War on Poverty” would eliminate poverty... 50 years and trillions of dollars and counting); lies about crime (poverty causes crime); lies about race (affirmative racism -- a fraud built on lies about "racial bias" in testing and law enforcement, discrimination in admissions, etc), calling wasteful spending on their parasitic base "investments," their bankrupt judicial philosophy that uses lies and fraud to skirt the Constitution and the Bill of Rights ("living and breathing", "emanations and penumbras," using foreign law); lies about national defense (WE caused terrorism). Lies about the environment, the rampant lies associated with Maobamacare; lies about the failed stimu-less (shovel-ready jobs, green shoots, Recovery Summer, etc); and everything in between.

And ALL of it is nothing but an excuse for these totalitarians to impose their redistributionist agenda on the nation through the back door, as it's always rejected by the public.

They even lie about themselves, repackaging themselves as "progressives" -- as though regressing back to the era of Marx is "progress."

Blogger JohnR219 December 07, 2015 7:55 PM  

Not a big fan of Mark Levin, but he just read Mr. Wright's piece on the air via instapundit

Blogger wrf3 December 07, 2015 8:04 PM  

John @126: the issue that you and NorthernHamlet are in disagreement on is what makes men happy. Me? I like an energy rich, relatively low disease, society. I don't, however, care for the rampant pollution, widening gulf between rich and poor, runaway debt loads, and centralized bureacracy (among other things). Others want a low energy low impact less material life.

Ahead to the stars or back to the garden? I'm not at all sure that we can have both

Anonymous NorthernHamlet December 07, 2015 9:13 PM  

John Wright,

Further discussion is pointless

I see.

wrf3,

the issue that you and NorthernHamlet are in disagreement on is what makes men happy.

Not far from the mark, especially as it concerns coming to Christ or in many cases, not. Me, I'll take the garden under the stars and less noise. A nice red wouldn't be bad either.

Blogger John Wright December 07, 2015 9:17 PM  

@135
"the issue that you and NorthernHamlet are in disagreement on is what makes men happy."

With all due respect, no. He thinks I am talking about an emotion or subjective assessment. I am talking about the common good, the institutions that lead to human happiness, liberty v misery, freedom v slavery, monogamy v concubinage, and on and on. I am not making the assertion that freedom makes a person happier than slavery: that is a subjective judgment that varies from individual to individual (based perhaps on his rabbitlike versus wolflike nature and nurture) -- I am talking about the institution of liberty versus slavery which is conducive to human happiness because it allows men the freedom to act on their subjective judgments, for better or worse.

This distinction is at least as old as Aristotle and Plato. It is the difference between The Good and man's changing opinion about the good. It seems hardly feasible to me that a literate man could not understand the difference after it had been explained to him.

No, NorthernHamlet and I do not have a philosophical difference of opinion. I have a philosophy. He has flatulence. He made an asswipe personal attack because he has a void where his philosophy should be.

Blogger wrf3 December 07, 2015 9:53 PM  

JCW @137 wrote: I am talking about the institution of liberty versus slavery which is conducive to human happiness because it allows men the freedom to act on their subjective judgments, for better or worse.

Assumes facts not in evidence, namely, that the freedom to act on subjective judgements is conducive to happiness. There are happy slaves and miserable free men; there are miserable slaves and happy free men. Therefore, it isn't freedom or slavery that leads to happiness.

It seems hardly feasible to me that a literate man could not understand the difference after it had been explained to him.

One can understand a difference and yet not agree with it. You say there is "The Good", but is it the stars or the garden (or something else)? You didn't answer that question.

Until you and NorthernHamlet agree on what that is, you're talking past each other.

Blogger John Wright December 07, 2015 11:45 PM  

Again, I am not talking about a subjective state of mind. The well-being of society to the the phrase "persuit of happiness"refers has been referred to as the human happiness for the sake of which society is created between men. A free society is healthier than a slave society by any measurement, whether there are slaves who are happy or free men who are miserable or not.

Blogger John Wright December 07, 2015 11:54 PM  

I didn't answer an irrelevant question you posed just now, no. Nor does it have anything to do with the distinction you seem not to grasp. You have not disagreed with me, merely changed the topic
Let's do it the other way around. You tell me what tne distinction is between happiness as a public good sought by institutions and happiness as a personal and subjective measure of satisfaction, and I will argue the promulticulturalism side, and show that lives are not worse when they are poor, nasty,brutal and short Deal?

Blogger John Wright December 07, 2015 11:57 PM  

Facts not in evidence? What did you think I mean by 'for better or worse'?

Anonymous Mr. Rational December 08, 2015 1:27 AM  

JCW, can you please attribute your responses either via quotes or @<comment_number> citations?

Blogger wrf3 December 08, 2015 10:40 AM  

JCW @139: Again, I am not talking about a subjective state of mind.

Of course you are, you just can't (or won't) see it. Hint: "I know what it is to have little, and I know what it is to have plenty. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being well-fed and of going hungry, of having plenty and of being in need." External circumstances don't dictate internal responses.

A free society is healthier than a slave society by any measurement,...

First, there are fewer random mass shootings in North Korea than in the U.S. Under this measurement, North Korea is healthier than the US. So you either need to re-think your claim, or retreat to the "no true measurement" position.

Second, your statement is decidedly anti-Christian. There will be freed men and women in heaven, but there will be no free men or women there. "For 'God has put all things in subjection under his feet.'"

Blogger wrf3 December 08, 2015 10:51 AM  

JCW @140: I didn't answer an irrelevant question you posed just now, no.

Rule 2 applies here, especially since it's trivial to provide a one word answer: "space", "garden", or "other". Shouldn't be hard. And while you may claim that it's irrelevant, it clearly isn't.

Let's do it the other way around.
Nope. Not until you answer "space" or "garden".

Besides, even if we were to do this, I'd still win. Stuck in a pit and sold into slavery? "You meant it for evil, but God meant it for good." Children killed, possessions gone? "You speak as any foolish woman would speak. Shall we receive the good at the hand of God, and not receive the bad?"

"More than that, I regard everything as loss because of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things, and I regard them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ..."

So, knock yourself out on your fool's errand.

Blogger wrf3 December 08, 2015 10:53 AM  

JCW @141: Facts not in evidence? What did you think I mean by 'for better or worse'?

That's what we're trying to discover. "Space" or "garden"?

Anonymous Rolf December 09, 2015 1:38 AM  

@129 and @130 - Ah, I see. Makes sense. Thank you very much for that.

Blogger Rambam December 10, 2015 11:07 PM  

@127 John Wright
"That is what the poor, old, crazed, delusion Catholic Church preaches, has always preached, and will preach to the end of time."

The one true church preaches Christ plus a whole lot of other BS.

Blogger Rambam December 10, 2015 11:23 PM  

@127 John Wright
"Good luck and may God have mercy on your orphaned soul."

Why exactly is my soul orphaned? Has the Father forsaken me?

28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all[a]; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. 30 I and the Father are one.” John 10:28-30

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts