ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2016 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Monday, December 21, 2015

Volume X: initial reviews

The initial response to the return of THERE WILL BE WAR and the new Volume X is extremely encouraging. Here are a few selections from the reviews and emails I've been receiving:
  • This is one of the best collections of SF writing I have ever read.... What really gets me about the series is how pertinent they are to today's geopolitical situation.
  •  I want to emphasize how much quality the CH works have. What you are doing is important.... I'll definitely be following up by purchasing the other volumes and Riding the Red Horse.
  • I'm delighted to see this masterful series is back again, now addressing the issues of the 21st century. Dr. Pournelle's introductions alone are worth the price of the book
  • This book is an absolute blast. A collection of short stories all of which have a military sci-fi theme, the stories themselves trend towards the top in terms of writing and story telling.
  • This anthology is exactly what to expect from serious men thinking and writing about war in the future and the technology of war as applied to both future and contemporary warfare. 
  • This is a fine effort, very timely, certainly one worth the investment of time and a few dollars for any person with an interest in the subject of war. It leaves me hoping that Volume XI finds us in months instead of decades.
  •  This is my first exposure to this series, and I find this installment intriguing. I found the preface of this book quite striking.... I am very much interested in reading the earlier volumes, and also look forward to future releases.
  • Well Worth the 25-Year Wait. This is an incredible book!
  • Volume 10, the latest There Will Be War, is worthy to stand with the best of that series. Mil-sf doesn't get better than this.
As I have previously stated, Riding the Red Horse was the best mil-SF anthology published in the last 20 years. And there is no question that There Will Be War Vol. X is even better. If you have any interest in either science fiction or current events, it is a book that you simply must read.

This exchange was rather amusing:
I want the paperback to match my 9-volume set, damn it!
 
We're going to sell you a whole new set. The Volume I + Volume II omnibus in case hardcover will be published next month. We're going to release Volume IX in ebook next, so that we can do a Vol IX + Vol X hardcover as the second in the print series. Then we'll fill in the blanks....


Those thrice-damned SJWs didn't lie for once:  You ARE evil!

What part of "Supreme Dark Lord of the Evil Legion of Evil" gave it away?

UPDATE: Not bad for Launch Day. Congratulations to Jerry Pournelle and all of the contributors.

 Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #276 Paid in Kindle Store
    #1 in Genre Fiction > Historical > Military
    #1 in Military > Strategy
    #2 in Genre Fiction > War

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Tank December 21, 2015 12:53 PM  

I'm not a SF fan, but I'll buy it, I'll read it, and I'll likely enjoy it, as I did Riding the Red Horse. Even if I don't enjoy it, I'm supporting something bigger and more important than any one SF book.

Anonymous Sensei December 21, 2015 1:06 PM  

Almost finished. Call me crazy if you want, but I actually enjoyed Riding the Red Horse a bit more.

Blogger James Dixon December 21, 2015 3:51 PM  

Once he has the complete set, he can always give away his existing copies to someone who can use them. Reselling paperbacks is pretty much a lost cause anymore. Too many copies available for $0.01.

Anonymous jSinSaTx December 21, 2015 6:48 PM  

Sales rank showing at 819. Consistently delivering that high has to be good for the business's reputation.

Blogger VD December 21, 2015 7:23 PM  

Consistently delivering that high has to be good for the business's reputation.

The authors seem to appreciate it. We have an excellent core support thanks to the Ilk. The challenge now is building upon that strong foundation.

Blogger Raziel Walker December 21, 2015 8:19 PM  

Never bought an e-book so far but THERE WILL BE WAR looks like a good choice should I change my mind.

Just discovered the existence of Null-A Continuum by John C. Wright. Vogt, together with Vance and Asimov were the big three of my childhood.

Blogger VD December 21, 2015 8:22 PM  

Never bought an e-book so far but THERE WILL BE WAR looks like a good choice should I change my mind.

Just do it. Every single book lover I know who swore up and down that "they just really love the feel of a book" now absolutely adores their ereader.

I own more physical books than most book lovers, but I think ebooks are one of the greatest inventions since the printing press. Buy the ebook, read it, and only then, if you're convinced it merits a place on the bookshelf, buy the print version.

There is nothing better than having an entire library handy on your phone or tablet. I don't even mind waiting in line anymore.

Anonymous Napoleon 12pdr December 21, 2015 9:07 PM  

Concur with Vox. I'm a hard-core print lover, but I can cram a decent library into my iPad. Very handy on the road.

And there's quite a bit of older material out there in electronic format at pathetically low prices.

Blogger Midknight December 21, 2015 9:46 PM  

I now only get in hard copy stuff that "I don't want to lose when electricity goes away"

(Ps - when is the gardening book coming out in paper?)

There's still something to paper - but I can scratch that itch with my existing library or books that aren't available in ebook (or too damn expensive in book compared to used paper)

Blogger Alfred Genesson December 21, 2015 9:50 PM  

And now some numbers, 8:50 pm cst:
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #753 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)

#1 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Historical > Military
#2 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Military > Strategy
#3 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > War

Anonymous Rolf December 21, 2015 10:05 PM  

Got mine. Can't go without the complete set.

Blogger James Dixon December 21, 2015 10:07 PM  

> And there's quite a bit of older material out there in electronic format at pathetically low prices.

There's a whole bunch of older material available for free, starting with Project Gutenberg.

> I now only get in hard copy stuff that "I don't want to lose when electricity goes away"

A simple solar cell should be more than enough to charge an ebook reader.

Blogger Jack Ward December 21, 2015 10:33 PM  

Purchased, of course. There is a backlog of reading right now; but, you know what, there's always the stray story in this one that time can be found thereof. Before you know it the whole will be finished, darn it. And, then, what almost certainly be the 5 star review.

Anonymous VFM 71 December 22, 2015 12:07 AM  

So happy TWBW is back. Vol X and Riding the Red Horse seem to have lured a good friend and his father (who introduced me to Vol I when I was young) into the CH community.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts