ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2016 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Thursday, March 24, 2016

If we can't have it, nobody can

Jonah Goldberg pronounces time of death for the GOP:
Nominating Donald Trump will wreck the Republican party as we know it. Not nominating Trump will wreck the Republican party as we know it. The sooner everyone recognizes this fact, the better.

Denial has been Trump’s greatest ally. Republicans and commentators didn’t believe he would run. They didn’t believe he could be an attractive candidate to rational people, no matter how angry with “the establishment” voters said they were. They — which includes me — were wrong.

The denial lasted longer for some than others. Long after many observers had come to the realization that Trump was the front-runner, Jeb Bush’s super PAC, Right to Rise, believed Bush’s real rival was Marco Rubio. It spent $35 million trying to destroy Rubio before it dropped its first $25,000 attacking Trump.

Over the weekend, Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus showed the first public signs of acceptance about what’s in store for the party. He finally acknowledged that the Republican nominee was probably going to be determined on the convention floor in Cleveland.
La, the drama! This is just the butthurt talking. Jonah is still in modest denial. I'll make three predictions:
  1. Donald Trump is going to acquire the necessary 1,237 delegates before the Republican National Convention
  2. Donald Trump is going to be the Republican candidate for president
  3. There will be no GOPe third-party candidate. The GOPe will, however reluctantly, fall in line behind Donald Trump.
I'm not saying every neocon will; Bill Kristol may well lose it and announce that he is supporting Benjamin Netanyahu for president, but once the big money guys realize that Trump is not only going to be the nominee, but beat Hillary Clinton handily, the small fry will obediently fall in line, however much they might grumble.

There are going to be more Islamic State attacks. Some of them may be in the USA. And every single one is going to drive more support to Trump. Remember, these guys have no principles. Once the Trump Train looks sufficiently inevitable, they'll all be scrambling to avoid being the last on board.

Labels:

215 Comments:

1 – 200 of 215 Newer› Newest»
Blogger Josh March 24, 2016 8:06 AM  

Trump is not only going to be the nominee, but beat Hillary Clinton handily

Obviously the polls could change, but she's beaten him in the last twenty polls.

Anonymous Steve March 24, 2016 8:06 AM  


Reince Priebus showed the first public signs of acceptance about what’s in store for the party.


Did his parents call him that because "Pansy McQueerbait" was too on-the-nose?

Blogger Ben Cohen March 24, 2016 8:08 AM  

Trump/Cain 16: The train is damn fine!

OpenID ymarsakar March 24, 2016 8:16 AM  

http://noisyroom.net/blog/2016/03/15/breitbart-implosion-conservatives-take-a-stand-against-trump-bias/

Some of us won't forgive Trump's Democrat voters, the same ones that voted Hussein in for 2008 and now want to use the same strong arm tactics on the rest of us in the US, or what's left of it. This doesn't affect foreigners or ex patriates over sea much, but it will affect the domestic civil war.

The order of cleaning house was set in 2007 or 2008.

1. Purge the GOP.
2. Purge the Leftist traitors.
3. Break the back of the Leftist alliance in the US to secure the logistics.
4. Take on Islamic jihad with an unbreakable support chain.

The problem happens when Leftist traitors jump ship from the Hussein bandwagon, the whites on welfare being broken to Slavery 3.0 as easily as the black middle class was broken by the Democrat slave lords, to the Trump band wagon.

Their culture isn't going to change over night.

Another suspicion is that Trump is running for the nomination due to Clinton favors. That'll depend on whether they bring up that underage sex offender and billionaire, that the Clintons and Trumps have socialized with. That would burn Trump's bridges with the Clintons quite well. Until then, American patriots will often wonder if Trump is going to throw the match, as was intended by the Clintons.

Blogger Aeoli Pera March 24, 2016 8:18 AM  

There are going to be more Islamic State attacks. Some of them may be in the USA.

Funny, my grandma said the same thing yesterday.

Blogger Aeoli Pera March 24, 2016 8:19 AM  

Ben Cohen wrote:Trump/Cain 16: The train is damn fine!

Trump/Biden 2016. Let's bring this dream home.

Anonymous krymneth March 24, 2016 8:22 AM  

Even if we stipulate for the sake of argument that the original plan was for Trump to just come in to the Republican party and scramble things enough so that the Clintons could win, it is no longer the plan. Are you really claiming that Trump is so selfless that he'll throw a contest he could win to the Clintons for "favors"? What favor could the Clintons possibly shower him with that is worth what is right now at least a 30% chance of straight-up winning the Presidency?

If you're going to be cynical, you have to go all the way.

Blogger FALPhil March 24, 2016 8:31 AM  

VD, you don't have a great track record predicting elections, particularly presidential elections. I hope this one breaks your streak.

Blogger dc.sunsets March 24, 2016 8:32 AM  

Everything established "conservative" pundits write is painful to read. Lunatics in a rubber room have more attachment to objective reality than do these clods.

Anonymous BGKB March 24, 2016 8:33 AM  

I am sure he will get the delegates but not sure those delegates will vote for him. There is still a chance of Jeb or Mitt getting the GOPe nomination, because they live in echo chambers. Several of the big money people will swap to HilLIARy because they know she can be bought.

Obviously the polls could change, but she's beaten him in the last twenty polls.

Polls taken at foam parties don't reflect the electorate.

Did his parents call him that because "Pansy McQueerbait" was too on-the-nose?

He doesn't have to worry about the kids on Epstein island being able to remember/spell his name right.

There are going to be more Islamic State attacks. Some of them may be in the USA.

The question is will lame stream media report moslem attacks?

Trump/Cain 16: The train is damn fine!...Trump/Biden 2016. Let's bring this dream home.

You could compromise with Biden's cocaine snorting son that was given control of the Ukraine's petrol reserves

Blogger James Dixon March 24, 2016 8:34 AM  

> ...but beat Hillary Clinton handily,

I can only hope, but like you I'm apparently too out of touch with the modern electorate to make good predicitions.

I thought Romney had a chance against Obama too. But it appears that the McCain bid was the last straw for many now former republicans, and they simply stayed home rather than voting for Romney.

Trump is a far better candidate than Romney though, as he has a much broader appeal amongst independents and democrats. And Hillary is a much worse candidate than Obama. Her negatives are off the charts, even among those who'll vote for her anyway. Will it be enough? We'll have to wait and see.

But if Hillary wins, it's proof positive that recovering the country via the ballot box is no longer an option. We all know what that leaves.

Blogger Nate March 24, 2016 8:35 AM  

if I were a trump person... I would be very irritated with the Vox Day Kiss-of-Death predictions.

You're like the basketball announcer that starts talking about how many free throws some kid has made in a row while he is standing at the line for two critical shots.

Blogger Nate March 24, 2016 8:38 AM  

kidding aside... Trump has won 44% of the possible delegates so far. if he stays at that rate he still hits 1100... which puts him close enough to work a deal for the rest.

So that puts 1100 at the barest minimum he will get.

I believe he will actually end up with over 1300 by the time the convention rolls around.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan March 24, 2016 8:40 AM  

IMO FWIW the Trotskyite faction is vulnerable, the Soviets are gone it's time they go back and reclaim the left and bring a tiny bit of reality

Blogger peter blandings March 24, 2016 8:42 AM  

Trump/Biden 2016. Let's bring this dream home.

if you're speaking of jill, i'd be okay with that. but if you meant joe, i want you out of the gene pool.

the republican party has been wrecked for a very long time. it's been on life support for 30 years. if trump could finish it off once and for all, that accomplishment alone would be a great service to the nation and ensure him a benevolent place in history. i wish i could be as confident about his victory, but the odds makers have him down 25 points.

Blogger Derrick Bonsell March 24, 2016 8:42 AM  

There's plenty of reasons to disregard these head to head polls, but the gap is expanding in Hillary's favor. That's a bad sign.

Blogger Salt March 24, 2016 8:52 AM  

Ooops. Vox is making political prognostications again. Hold on to your hats.

Blogger The Sasquatch March 24, 2016 8:52 AM  

"Nominating Donald Trump will wreck the Republican party as we know it. Not nominating Trump will wreck the Republican party as we know it. The sooner everyone recognizes this fact, the better."

The Republican Party was wrecked long before Trump got involved. The only remaining question is what will it be from here on out?

Anonymous TBA March 24, 2016 8:53 AM  

"There are going to be more Islamic State attacks."
And they will be blamed on Trump. Even the ones before he's elected.

BTW, I bet on Trump for president at the odds 4.5. That's a good bet.

OpenID paworldandtimes March 24, 2016 8:55 AM  

Hillary's brand is her asset (name recognition, establishment cred). Her stamina, poor debate akills, and indefensible record are her liabilities. Once nominated, Trump will certainly hit her at the pressure points.

PA

Anonymous TBA March 24, 2016 8:58 AM  

"There are going to be more Islamic State attacks."
And they will be blamed on Trump. Even the ones before he's elected.

BTW, I've bet on Trump for president at the odds 4.5. Those are odds I like.

Blogger Dexter March 24, 2016 9:01 AM  

The GOPe will, however reluctantly, fall in line behind Donald Trump.

They may do so grudgingly, verbally. But even if they don't actively seek to undermine him behind the scenes (which is very likely) they will refuse to make any effort to support and help him - hoping, of course, that he will fail. Then they can say, "see, stupid voters, you should have listened to us, we know who an electable candidate is and you don't."

I have seen this play out in statewide elections. The local GOP refused to support the Tea Party candidate, who lost, and then the GOP said, "oh darn he was too extreme, next time go with our moderate candidate."

Blogger Dexter March 24, 2016 9:02 AM  

if I were a trump person... I would be very irritated with the Vox Day Kiss-of-Death predictions.

Yeah all we need next is for Jeb to endorse Trump.

Anonymous Quartermaster March 24, 2016 9:03 AM  

@11
Romney had a very good chance of beating the Kenyan, but he threw it away because he didn't really want the job. He ran just to trash conservatives.

Anonymous Steve Spangled Banner March 24, 2016 9:05 AM  

Trump has made me realise Sarah Hoyt was right all along.

My name is Steve and I am a transAmerican.

I was born American in an NHS hospital in Great Britain, but in those bad old days, you were assigned your nationality at birth by uncaring, transphobic bureaucrats.

So although they declared me "British", I knew in my secret heart that I was a proud Southern hillbilly, just like Bo and Luke.

When other boys played conkers or football, I was dreaming of monster trucks and Red Ryder BB guns.

Bigoted teachers "corrected" me for pronouncing "Zee" the way they did it on Sesame Street.

I tried hard to fit in. I dutifully called my mom "Mummy". I only wore ballcaps in the privacy of my own home. I pretended to like Bovril.

But I was living a lie!

The emergence of Donald Trump as Shitlordifex Maximus caused me to reexamine my life.

That one American could contain so much awesome and trigger so much SJW butthurt that their backsides literally became the Japanese flag... it inspired me.

I am now saving up for the surgery required to have nice teeth and am planning on legally changing my name to NASCAR.

Wish me luck, fellow colonials!

Anonymous Quartermaster March 24, 2016 9:07 AM  

We've seen a couple flickers of the band wagon effect. A lot of the coming primaries are closed, and Trump hasn't done well in that sort of primary. If he does well, then we will see a band wagon effect gain traction and Trump will roll into the convention with what he needs to gain the nomination.

Trump may have started as a stalking horse for Clinton, but I think he's loose cannon as far as the Clinton's are concerned now. If he gets the nod, all best are off as I doubt he will show her any mercy. In my opinion, he will wildly outperform the current polls if he makes it to the general.

Anonymous WinstonWebb March 24, 2016 9:08 AM  

That one American could contain so much awesome and trigger so much SJW butthurt that their backsides literally became the Japanese flag...

Brilliant.

Blogger Blackburn #0040 March 24, 2016 9:15 AM  

Steve Spangled Banner wrote:

My name is Steve and I am a transAmerican.


Hi Steve!

Blogger Student in Blue March 24, 2016 9:17 AM  

@VD
I'm not saying every neocon will; Bill Kristol may well lose it and announce that he is supporting Benjamin Netanyahu for president, but once the big money guys realize that Trump is not only going to be the nominee, but beat Hillary Clinton handily, the small fry will obediently fall in line, however much they might grumble.

How much, though, will fall in line and how much will self-detonate? Perhaps a more pertinent rephrasing of the same question is, how many establishment are simply corrupt and how many are completely brainwashed, r-selected cuckservatives?

Blogger pyrrhus March 24, 2016 9:21 AM  

Trump is the last chance for our country, IMO. Hillary will import every moslem she can get her hands on, and every Cuban and Central American. Then she'll give them the vote....Venezuela will look like a picnic in comparison.

Blogger Student in Blue March 24, 2016 9:22 AM  

To add on to what I was saying, it's pretty much been accepted amongst the sane that the politicians who are corrupt will simply go with whichever way the wind's blowing, but that there was a very large number of r-selected TrueBelievers in the GOP and *they* would be the one to cause the whole thing tumbling down.

Why do you believe that the corrupt outnumber or outmuscle the TrueFen in such a way that the GOP won't simply dissolve, Vox?

@Steve
So although they declared me "British", I knew in my secret heart that I was a proud Southern hillbilly, just like Bo and Luke.

Southern. Hillbilly.

We got a live one folks.

Blogger Mussorgsky112 March 24, 2016 9:24 AM  

"Nominating Donald Trump will wreck the Republican party as we know it."

Nooooo! I can't afford the quality bottle of single malt scotch to go with "mourning" such wreckage. I guess I'll have to celebrate, I mean, um, lament, yeah, lament this news with something aged a mere 18 years. How can I choose between Talisker and Glenlivet? Sigh, this party, er, um, uh, lamentation will be quite difficult for us... Who's got the popcorn?

Blogger pyrrhus March 24, 2016 9:24 AM  

@1 "Trump is not only going to be the nominee, but beat Hillary Clinton handily

Obviously the polls could change, but she's beaten him in the last twenty polls."

If you knew anything about polling in the current era, you wouldn't pay any attention to such nonsense....

Anonymous Statweasel March 24, 2016 9:26 AM  

Josh said: Obviously the polls could change, but she's beaten him in the last twenty polls.

Hey Josh - The polls taken while the Dems played pillow-tag for her and the Repubs clubbed Donald like a baby seal? Yeah, the numbers are going to move precipitously if The Donald gets the nod. To this point in the "race", Hillary has competed against Bernie who has steadfastly refused to debate on her record as S of S and things like email / Benghazi / Bill's record on women. Bernie wants to be above the fray for the most part and won't muddy his hands by pointing out her true record. That's Bernie's gig. But it most definitely isn't Donald's. The polls will move because -

1) Trump will be utterly shameless and hyperbolic about Hillary. She has never seen or endured the kind of attack she will face once he turns his rhetorical guns on her. He has no shame and she has thinner skin than Obama. Which is hard to to do.

2) Trump has faced a critical press and an abusive Republican party. While neither will be entirely mollified by his nomination, they will be muted somewhat in their attacks once the field is cleared of options. Donald will make good TV and will get tons of press and air time as he has - but that air time will now be non-stop anti Hillary. The party will also have to get behind their nominee to a larger degree than they have and much of the energy expended will be anti-Hillary.

3) Trump's record and history of public statements were already well known and publicized. It will be very hard to make us think less of the man by showing us clips most of us already saw on the Apprentice or read in Art of the Deal. Hillary by contrast has been coddled and cradled by a complicit media and an Obama effort to underplay her gaffes. That will end.

4) The reality of ISIS has been hammered home by Brussels. Another event of almost any sort prior to November is to Trump's benefit and Hillary's detriment. Every time a bomb goes off, more people will want a wall and an immigration ban.

Bottom line - he can't face much more of an assault than he's already endured. She can. And will.

This fall is going to be highly, highly entertaining.

Blogger Alexander March 24, 2016 9:28 AM  

Nominating Donald Trump will wreck the Republican party as we know it.

Only the parts that need wrecking.

Blogger VFM #7191 March 24, 2016 9:28 AM  

ymarsakar wrote:Another suspicion is that Trump is running for the nomination due to Clinton favors. That'll depend on whether they bring up that underage sex offender and billionaire, that the Clintons and Trumps have socialized with. That would burn Trump's bridges with the Clintons quite well. Until then, American patriots will often wonder if Trump is going to throw the match, as was intended by the Clintons.

You may as well be talking about hologram planes hitting the Twin Towers or alien spaceships at Area 51. This is such a stupid conspiracy theory that I have to assume that those peddling it have room temperature IQs or very serious cases of Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Blogger David-093 March 24, 2016 9:31 AM  

Watch, the one time Vox doesn't predict a Hillary win is the time she blows it out of the water.

Anonymous DDT March 24, 2016 9:32 AM  

The latest poll for PA now has Trump up 3 over Kasich, who is now on the ballot since Rubio's team dropped their lawsuit. I would love for Trump to hit the convention with a clear first-round win, but I'm not sure it will happen.

If it doesn't, the GOPe will try to give the nomination to anyone else. They don't care if they lose against Hillary. They would prefer it to Trump being the official nominee of their party, and part of the reason they would prefer it is because they think all of this will just blow over and everyone will fall in line. The thought that this could lead to a fracture in the party, a real fracture where a sizable number of people just plain walk, is as live a possibility to them as a possible Trump victory was six months ago.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan March 24, 2016 9:35 AM  

The GOPe and the neo conservatives have a weakness and that is they are following the left into non reality. Reading Sailer and his piece about leftard Beinart and that is who drives the GOPe narrative. And we are mastering deadly rhetoric

Blogger dc.sunsets March 24, 2016 9:37 AM  

Trump is the last chance for our country, IMO.

Objectively, do you think a President Trump can stitch together the chasms that his campaign revealed? I'm a big fan of the Ozzie & Harriet America of my youth, so I'd love to say yes, but if I strip out that emotional bias, then I have to suggest "no way."

Win, lose or draw, Trump's run for the White House is just a signal of where we are on the road to social upheaval that is unlikely to result in a return to a cohesive, 50 state USA.

The path ahead leads eventually to an American nation, but I doubt it will be the same territory as now. The time of the heterogeneous nation-state is past. The path ahead is of (smaller) homogeneous nations. Paradoxically, this might mean a return to monarchy.

Anonymous JamesD March 24, 2016 9:41 AM  

no matter how angry with “the establishment” voters said they were.
Ah yes, more insults. No one is using their brain when deciding for Trump, no, it's just an emotional response.

No, it isn't that you agree we need to close our borders, or protect American industry, no, that's not why you support Trump. The reason is because you are angry at some guy named Reince Priebus.

Blogger August March 24, 2016 9:42 AM  

I'm thinking Goldberg has to be a major dope not to realize that's pretty much what anyone not cucked wants. Nor the obvious necessity of it. Trump might keep the name, but he's going to chase out all these morons. It is obviously necessary for any real change. Do they read history, or did they expect this cozy 'opposition' status for all eternity?

Anonymous Broken Arrow March 24, 2016 9:45 AM  

The Left never feared Romney, they very much fear that Trump can win.

Blogger James Dixon March 24, 2016 9:47 AM  

> Trump is the last chance for our country, IMO. Hillary will import every moslem she can get her hands on...

Having seen Hillary in operation for almost 20 years now, I don't think she plans on leaving the office alive. Whether she'll suspend elections or simply try to repeal the two term limit I can't say.

Blogger Josh March 24, 2016 9:47 AM  

If you knew anything about polling in the current era, you wouldn't pay any attention to such nonsense....


Enlighten me, sparky

Blogger dc.sunsets March 24, 2016 9:48 AM  

The republican party has clearly outlived its purpose (as has the democrat party.) These were the two wings of the plane that brought the USA on the final leg to its apogee, and they did so amidst obviously degenerating "fundamentals" like industrial capacity utilization, manufacturing capacity, honest money and manageable debt.

I always thought the democrat party would be the first to detonate, but it now appears that the republicans have cut in line. Whatever happens at the convention, these are the final days of the GOP's Kabuki Theater "inclusive" strategy. What emerges will be a phase change, regardless if the name changes or remains the same.

Any political movement that tries to triangulate the center from now on will discover it doesn't exist. The muddy middle is rapidly moving to opposite poles on numerous measures, leaving only the dead and the brain-dead in a no-man's-land between armed camps.

Blogger Josh March 24, 2016 9:50 AM  

Bottom line - he can't face much more of an assault than he's already endured. She can. And will.

You're underestimating the Clinton machine.

Anonymous Ominous Cowherd March 24, 2016 9:51 AM  

@steve `` ... I was a proud Southern hillbilly...''
I think your American name will be Charlie, because you are a right Charlie indeed.

Blogger Alexander March 24, 2016 9:52 AM  

dc.sunsets,

I think we are passed the tipping point of bridging the gap, but smaller, homogeneous countries in North America is not inherently a bad thing.

Trump, ideally, will get three things in motion before the divide occurs:

1. Ensures that the majority of those countries are Anglo.

2. Minimizes the impact of the approaching full-blown global jihad.

3. Makes Hilary literally break down and crap her pantsuit on national TV.

Given the times and the climes, accomplishing 1/3 makes him entirely deserving of the office, regardless of what else he does. 2/3 makes him one of the best presidents ever, 3/3 and we go for broke, try to maintain national unity, and proclaim Trump emperor.

Blogger John S March 24, 2016 9:56 AM  

Nominating Donald Trump will wreck the Republican party as we know it.

I'll be damned! He finally gets it...

To paraphrase (and repurpose a bit) one of his writers: “Nobody did this to them. They failed themselves.”

Also:“The truth about these dysfunctional, upscale communities is that they deserve to die. Economically, they are negative assets. Morally, they are indefensible,” Kevin Williamson

Anonymous JamesD March 24, 2016 9:57 AM  

The GOPe will, however reluctantly, fall in line behind Donald Trump.
Assuming they don't steal the nomination from him, there will be a third party Repub run. The "Trump Rally Violence" has only one goal: steal 5% of the vote from Trump. The GOPe wants Hillary to win.

In Trump's favor, we have the ISIS Belgium attacks. That has really helped Trump.

Hillary by contrast has been coddled and cradled by a complicit media and an Obama effort to underplay her gaffes. That will end.
Not going to happen. They'll fight for Hillary until the end. Only exception would be pissed off Bernie supporters in the press, but they aren't the mainstream media.

Blogger tz March 24, 2016 10:02 AM  

Emory board is triggered
follow the Poles

I think the GOPe will try to make nice since that is what happens and how the game has been played. Consider McConnell saying he will reconcile if Cruz would just apologize (he hasn't so far), and Romney and Jeb! endorsing him which Cruz accepted.

Trump doesn't need the GOPe and doesn't forgive and forget.

I think it was Gengis Kahn that slaughtered the army defending Samarkand after they surrendered and said they'd fight for him because they had no loyalty.

There might be a few wise pols who have stayed silent, but not many.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan March 24, 2016 10:04 AM  

Goldberg is a true conservative, he spent years improving upon the weaknesses of the Right at the behest of the Left. Them days is waning

Blogger Rusty Fife March 24, 2016 10:06 AM  

Ben Cohen wrote:Trump/Cain 16: The train is damn fine!

Trump/Sanders Nationalist Unity ticket.

ymarsakar wrote:2. Purge the Leftist traitors.

Not Leftist; Globalist. You need to get out of the frame that they have been forcing you to compete in for the last 100yrs. Globalism it traitorious; not socialism.

OpenID b1bae96e-6447-11e3-b6bb-000f20980440 March 24, 2016 10:06 AM  

The problem with the H2H polls are Jonah and Co. If about 200 talking heads and politicians in the GOP weren't throwing a tantrum right now, he would be even with Clinton. It defies rationality to think that Cruz would do better against Clinton when he isn't liked in the Midwest.

Trump hinted that he would let the billionaires go to bat for him in the general. That is all they need. They will tell their puppets to knock it off and carry Trump's water.

I am sort of surprised Jonah didn't take the AIPAC speech to start down from his TDS. The guys at Powerline took the opportunity to make a positive Trump statement. Then again they never went full retard like Jonah.

Blogger Teri March 24, 2016 10:07 AM  

Are we talking about the poll that shows Hillary beating Trump and Cruz but losing to Kasich? Kasich does seem to be running as a Dem this week.

How come no one discusses what happens if Hillary isn't the nominee? She's not in good health. There's still a chance she could be indicted. They've screwed her over before. The Bernie supporters are not going to turn out for her. It will be like with Eugene McCarthy or John Anderson. They just won't bother to vote for her.

And I find it interesting that Cruz and Bernie have been taking some of the same states (ID, UT, OK). What's up with that?

Anonymous private joker March 24, 2016 10:08 AM  

"3. There will be no GOPe third-party candidate. The GOPe will, however reluctantly, fall in line behind Donald Trump."

4. 10 years from now, these same people will be telling us about who is an authentic Trump conservative just like their telling us who is an authentic Reagan conservative, the Reagan they were against prior to the presidency. They'll write books, etc.

Blogger swiftfoxmark2 March 24, 2016 10:09 AM  

Obviously the polls could change, but she's beaten him in the last twenty polls.

You mean the polls that call random people at home between 9 AM and 5 PM on a Tuesday?

Ones that feature around 1000 people?

Political polls are rubbish and anyone with any education in statistics would know this. The sample sizes are too small and they are taken among people who are generally living off of welfare of some kind.

Blogger Rusty Fife March 24, 2016 10:11 AM  

Mussorgsky112 wrote:Nooooo! I can't afford the quality bottle of single malt scotch to go with "mourning" such wreckage. I guess I'll have to celebrate, I mean, um, lament, yeah, lament this news with something aged a mere 18 years. How can I choose between Talisker and Glenlivet? Sigh, this party, er, um, uh, lamentation will be quite difficult for us... Who's got the popcorn?

Traitor! Take your Globalist burnt whiskey garbage and GTFO. Bourbon or death!

Anonymous Jill March 24, 2016 10:11 AM  

When Trump first jumped in the race, I was skeptical of his motivations, wondering if, since he appeared to know the Clintons, if he was playing a "trump" card to help Hillary win. As the race went on, though, I began to wonder the exact opposite. He knows the Clintons and therefore jumped in to prevent Hillary from winning at any cost...because it was clear all the GOP candidates were nonviable. Lame. Not worth a damn. The republican party wrecked itself, see. Trump had nothing to do with it. Being the force of nature that he is, he highlighted its brokenness with his very presence.

Blogger swiftfoxmark2 March 24, 2016 10:13 AM  

Why is Jonah Goldberg still talking?

He's been an idiot for a long time now.

Anonymous Broken Arrow March 24, 2016 10:14 AM  

Camille Paglia: This is why Trump’s winning, and why I won’t vote for Hillary - Salon.com

Her description of the hapless GOP candidates is spot on.

"But a Trump-Hillary death match will be a national nightmare, a race to the bottom for both parties, as Democratic and Republican operatives compete to dig up the most lurid and salacious dirt on both flawed candidates."

Nightmare? It will be the most amusing campaign season of our lives!

Blogger James Dixon March 24, 2016 10:14 AM  

> Objectively, do you think a President Trump can stitch together the chasms that his campaign revealed?

No. but what he can do is destroy the current GOP and allow a party that actually represents the Americans that the GOP only claims to take it's place. That's a good start.

Anonymous #8601 Jean Valjean March 24, 2016 10:21 AM  

VD, me thinks you made 4 predictions.

Blogger Nate March 24, 2016 10:23 AM  

"Trump/Sanders Nationalist Unity ticket."

I've got two words for ya son.


No.

Blogger Alexander March 24, 2016 10:26 AM  

It's only a nightmare if your power rests upon maintaining an image that you are TOP. MEN.

If, on the other hand, you're a peasant discovering the emperor has no clothes, it's a fantastic time to be alive!

Anonymous A Paradigm Is More Than Twenty Cents March 24, 2016 10:27 AM  

dc.sunsets
Everything established "conservative" pundits write is painful to read.

Yet also hugely entertaining. Take Jonah Goldberg. Please.
But seriously, folks, he's one of those navel-gazing, thumb-sucking, self-proclaimed-deep-thinkers and he totally missed the clue train as it rolled by.

Seeing these over-aged college sophomores suddenly having to deal with reality in the face is just funny. Even better when they wake up a little and start trying to catch up. The clue train is fine. GOPe shills, not so much.

Trump 2016 - for the LOLz.

Blogger Josh March 24, 2016 10:28 AM  

Political polls are rubbish and anyone with any education in statistics would know this.

Perhaps you should inform God-Emperor Trump about this.

Anonymous Goodnight March 24, 2016 10:29 AM  

Hillary will import every moslem she can get her hands on, and every Cuban and Central American. Then she'll give them the vote....

They will also go back home in the millions once the money runs out - especially once things get interesting. Half of the people who came in the massive 1880-1924 immigration wave ended up going home.

Anonymous Great Again March 24, 2016 10:29 AM  

Here are the numbers so everyone can see. Trump has got this thing in the bag:

755 – delegates so far.
291 – delegates from WTA states (MD, DE, CA, NJ, plus 14 from PA)
110 – 75% of 147 delegates in WTA-by-CD states (WI, IN, WV)
84 – 50% of 168 prop. delegates from Trump states (NY, CT, RI, NM)
18 – 25% of 72 prop. delegates from non-Trump states (OR, WA)
0 - from WTA states that Cruz will win (MT, SD, NE)

The total is 1258. And that doesn't even count the 270 unbound delegates from states like CO, ND and PA and from candidates who dropped out. Trump is going to get some of them, certainly some of the 54 unbound delegates from PA, and some of Carson's 8 delegates.

Anonymous Ryan March 24, 2016 10:30 AM  

Predictions! I love predictions! Here's mine...

a) The Trumpster continues to kick ass.
b) Slick Willy goes to hospice or a nursing home.
c) Hillary's cough gets worse, she coughs up a lung while at podium.
d) She follows this act by getting maggoty drunk and dancing in public.
e) The Trumpster trades Melania in for the blonde from Wolf of Wall Street.
f) Trump wins, builds wall. Deports 25 million Mexicans.
g) Housing market crashes.
h) auto sales crash.
i) Walmart immediately files.
j) McDonalds files.
k) all companies that sell tortillas, hubcaps, and switchblades fail.
l) roadside ditches get clean again.
m) Trump nukes middle east, after taking their oil.


e)

Blogger Nate March 24, 2016 10:30 AM  

" No one is using their brain when deciding for Trump, no, it's just an emotional response."

The issue is not that no one that supports trump is using their brain. There is a huge chunk of Trump support that is rational. "Trump: Because Fuck You!" is completely rational.

There however is another subsection of Trump Supporters that make Bernie Sanders supporters look smart.

Blogger Josh March 24, 2016 10:34 AM  

There however is another subsection of Trump Supporters that make Bernie Sanders supporters look smart.


DON'T YOU DARE CALL THEM LOW INFO

Anonymous Satan's Hamster March 24, 2016 10:34 AM  

"The GOPe wants Hillary to win."

Definitely. They want a Democrat in the White House so they can use her as a stick to beat Republican voters to keep them in Congress. It's about the power and money they gain from handing out the trillions of dollars stolen from the taxpayers. Electing a Republican President risks losing all that, because it would no longer be business as usual, and they'd have to actually do things. Things that might make SJWs call them Bad Words, like RACIST! or SEXIST!

The problem is that they're making this goal so obvious that, if they throw the election to the Lizard Queen, no sane person will ever vote for them again after they've taken such a huge smelly dump in their voters' faces.

So the Republican establishment are done either way.

Anonymous Anonymous March 24, 2016 10:34 AM  

I don't know if Trump can win. I would be happy if he won, and I hope he wins. But everyone I know that isn't particularly political thinks Trump is a reality-show buffoon (frankly, lets face it. They think what most of us thought eleven months ago).

Trump has done a good job motivating the most politically interested/active Republicans. And he has done said the things that should be done (close border, reduce immigration, get out of NATO, get out of Common Core, etc etc). He has said the right things.

But most people don't know anything about any of this (ex: NATO? NATO good. Why leave NATO? Anti-immigration = racism. and so on). And most people aren't even particularly involved in politics right now.

When they get involved in the late summer, I am worried that Trump will fail. As I said: all of us political junkies like Trump, and understand what GOPe is and means. We know who Johah Goldberg is, for instance. The vast majority of people see Trump=TV blowhard/cartoon character. And they haven't even been involved yet.

anonymousse

Blogger Student in Blue March 24, 2016 10:38 AM  

@Nate
There however is another subsection of Trump Supporters that make Bernie Sanders supporters look smart.

Color me skeptical. There are Bernie supporters who are literally taking food away from their kids so they can donate to Sanders because they think it'll help.

Blogger pyrrhus March 24, 2016 10:38 AM  

@44 OK, my little student....The major problems are: 1. Polling future things that the public hasn't yet gotten a personal grip on is generally meaningless.E.g.When people were asked whether they would buy personal computers, at a point when virtually no one had one, more than 80% said no.....when they got to try them out, they said enthusiastically yes. 2. It is virtually impossible to get a meaningful sample today, with most people on cell phones, and with many segments of the population refusing to participate in polls. It is also nearly impossible to get the weighting right, especially when candidates like Trump and Bernie are involved, who bring out people who haven't been voting. Most of these "polls" are nothing more than guesses with many hidden assumptions.
Incidentally, my wife is a long time practitioner in the polling/focus group area, and she resoundingly agrees with this analysis.

Anonymous #8601 Jean Valjean March 24, 2016 10:38 AM  

If Sanders is a nationalist, a Trump/Sanders ticket might not be so bad. Plus, Sanders isn't as dumb on economics as some think. His senior economic adviser is Stephanie Kelton, who is very familiar with the work of Steve Keen.

Blogger Josh March 24, 2016 10:41 AM  

(((TRUMP)))/(((SANDERS))) 2016?

Blogger Student in Blue March 24, 2016 10:41 AM  

@anonymousse
The vast majority of people see Trump=TV blowhard/cartoon character. And they haven't even been involved yet.

The bar to clear is pretty low though. Low info voters would rather have a blowhard than a woman who cannot keep her shit together and just starts freaking out/has an aneurysm on national TV.

When someone, ANYONE, starts asking Hillary something other than softball questions she'll explode marvelously.

Blogger Nate March 24, 2016 10:44 AM  

"Color me skeptical. There are Bernie supporters who are literally taking food away from their kids so they can donate to Sanders because they think it'll help."

oh its true.. those true-believer posts never get old. but sadly they too are only a sub-section of bernie supporters.

Blogger David Power March 24, 2016 10:45 AM  

"Bill Kristol may well lose it and announce that he is supporting Benjamin Netanyahu for president"

Netanyahu has, for all intents and purposes, been President for many years now.

Blogger Josh March 24, 2016 10:46 AM  

When someone, ANYONE, starts asking Hillary something other than softball questions she'll explode marvelously.

The #benghazi committee did that. She held up well.

Blogger Nate March 24, 2016 10:47 AM  

it all reminds me of the principle's office scene from the incredibles...

"Don't "bernie" me! That little wallstreet rat is guilty!"

Blogger Josh March 24, 2016 10:47 AM  

Netanyahu has, for all intents and purposes, been President for many years now.

And will continue to be regardless of who wins the general election

Blogger Nate March 24, 2016 10:48 AM  

"The #benghazi committee did that. She held up well."

point of fact... she flubbed several times... including her famous "WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE" retardery.

She had the MSM covering her ass or she would've been spit roasted for that.

Blogger Nate March 24, 2016 10:48 AM  

"Netanyahu has, for all intents and purposes, been President for many years now."

you mean the guy who has basically endorsed Trump?

Blogger dienw March 24, 2016 10:50 AM  

Steve Spangled Banner wrote
I pretended to like Bovril.

Now, I understand why my maternal grandparents left England pre-WWI and my grandmother stayed here when her husband went back.
I would fight tooth and nail not to be deported to England!

Blogger Josh March 24, 2016 10:50 AM  

point of fact... she flubbed several times... including her famous "WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE" retardery.

That's true.

I was referring to the session this summer though

Blogger Krul March 24, 2016 10:51 AM  

"Nominating Donald Trump will wreck the Republican party as we know it. Not nominating Trump will wreck the Republican party as we know it."

I'm not sure how to respond to this announcement. Should I go with this or this?

Anonymous The other robot March 24, 2016 10:52 AM  

(((TRUMP)))/(((SANDERS))) 2016?

I don't get it. What is this new-found respect for Lisp? Bad Lisp at that!

Anonymous Eric the Red March 24, 2016 10:52 AM  

GOPe: The corrupt latch onto the ideologues, and the ideologues believe they've found true allies.

Once nominated, Trump will attack Hillary nonstop, in ways that the GOPe would never do and could never even conceive.

Anonymous A Paradigm Is More Than Twenty Cents March 24, 2016 10:52 AM  

The #benghazi committee did that. She held up well.

What, in the end, difference does it make?
That was before her stro…er…her concussion. The DNCe better pick the VP carefully, because he/she/it may wind up having to drive the campaign train if Hillary Rodan Cacklepants collapses. That train might not be fine.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan March 24, 2016 10:55 AM  

Trump defangs the "sexist, racist and homophobic " jabber then Melania is redecorating the WH

Blogger David Power March 24, 2016 10:55 AM  

Question...

Which one of these is nearer the truth:

a) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HV2GhOkQ1yY

b) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G59mNNfLZx8

Anonymous The other robot March 24, 2016 10:58 AM  

There however is another subsection of Trump Supporters that make Bernie Sanders supporters look smart.

Sure, I am not really that smart and I like the idea of: Trump for President because FUCK YOU.

However, I also like the fact that all the Indians in Silicon Valley are also scared as well and running around claiming that he is not Presidential Material. I guess they want something out of the Karma Sutra.

Blogger Nate March 24, 2016 11:00 AM  

"I don't get it. What is this new-found respect for Lisp? Bad Lisp at that!"

Again.. there is a sub-section of Trump supporters that are really... really... stupid.

Blogger dienw March 24, 2016 11:02 AM  

Curious, the concept of Vril was included in the Brovril product name.
Whoever becomes master of the vril will be the master of himself, of others round him and of the world.

Describes the Team B master class of the USA.

Anonymous The other robot March 24, 2016 11:02 AM  

I'm not sure how to respond to this announcement. Should I go with this or this?

It doesn't matter how many political parties there are. What matters is who funds the political parties.

The circus just gets higher and higher.

Blogger Were-Puppy March 24, 2016 11:05 AM  

@2 Steve
Did his parents call him that because "Pansy McQueerbait" was too on-the-nose?
---

Doc Carson called him Rinse Pubis in a debate

Blogger Krul March 24, 2016 11:09 AM  

Also, Trump's running mate should be Bill Clinton.

OpenID b1bae96e-6447-11e3-b6bb-000f20980440 March 24, 2016 11:09 AM  

The DNCe better pick the VP carefully Its going to either be Cory Booker or Chief Lizzy depending on whether they think they will need blacks or stupid whites under 30 more.

I still think Biden is going to top the ticket though. Unless he really is suffering from full on dementia right now. I suppose its possible, I don't think I have heard anything about the guy in forever.

Blogger praetorian March 24, 2016 11:10 AM  

Nominating Donald Trump will wreck the Republican party as we know it. Not nominating Trump will wreck the Republican party as we know it. The sooner everyone recognizes this fact, the better.

Current status: absolutely placid. We're all gonna make it brahs, and Donald John Trump is why.

DON'T YOU DARE CALL THEM LOW INFO

Any books on The Imminent Hyperinflation you can recommend? I'd like to increase my info levels.

Anonymous Cinco March 24, 2016 11:10 AM  

There however is another subsection of Trump Supporters that make Bernie Sanders supporters look smart.

This is kind of an amazing feat when you think about it. This subset should consist of the < 87 IQ crowd with short time preferences. Maybe even the parasites are smart enough to realize that the host is almost dry?

Anonymous VFM #6306 March 24, 2016 11:11 AM  

@59 Nailed it. Without Trump, Ted Cruz would have run a brilliant game to win the Party, then Hoarse would have run as "I'm Ted Cruz in a dress - er pantsuit!" and won. Because while Trump frightens women, Cruz repulses them.

Cruz's other problem is that he appeals to cuckservatives who followed orders and pushed Romney through. This makes his other would-be backers - guns and constitutionalists - nervous. In other words, although he can draw in support from different groups, being too inclusive actually starts costing him support from internal rivals.

Trump is in a better position: his numbers don't need the cucks, so he can ignore or villify them as he sees fit: they were never in his combo, so they can't possibly erode the fringes by supporting him in significant numbers.

Blogger Were-Puppy March 24, 2016 11:12 AM  

@3 Ben Cohen
Trump/Cain 16: The train is damn fine!
---

Herman is the only talk show I can listen to any more.

For pure hilarity, Trump could drop a rumor that he was thinking of naming Bill Clintons illegitimate son as VP.

Anonymous A Paradigm Is More Than Twenty Cents March 24, 2016 11:15 AM  

I still think Biden is going to top the ticket though. Unless he really is suffering from full on dementia right now.

How could anyone tell?

Blogger Doseux March 24, 2016 11:16 AM  

Again.. there is a sub-section of Trump supporters that are really... really... stupid.
It's just a coincidence.

A complete coincidence.

There's nothing else going on here.

Blogger praetorian March 24, 2016 11:18 AM  

Pshhh. Speaking of low info, at least get your anti-semitic LISP right Josh:

(/ TRUMP SANDERS)

Let's set aside this fiction that John McCarthy wasn't trying to tell us something back in the 1950s. He knew exactly what he was trying to tell us.

After the long list of warnings we've received: Lisp, "They Live", the Pontiac Fiero to name only a few.... we get what we deserve.

Blogger Were-Puppy March 24, 2016 11:18 AM  

@11 James Dixon

But if Hillary wins, it's proof positive that recovering the country via the ballot box is no longer an option. We all know what that leaves.
---

Looks like it. The GOPe is bad enough, but listening to MSNBC* for several days, the lefties are foaming at the mouth over Trump, and starting yesterday, Cruz also. They spend hours talking
- we can't possibly hold muslims to account
- we are now Cuba for even suggesting monitoring
- we are all racist for wanting a wall

If Hitlery gets in, my guess is they will more than double down on the madness.

Blogger Were-Puppy March 24, 2016 11:21 AM  

Jonah Goldberg and the GOPe.

This is what happens when you don't keep the barnacles off the ship.

Anonymous A Paradigm Is More Than Twenty Cents March 24, 2016 11:21 AM  

- we are now Cuba for even suggesting monitoring

Wait, what? MSNBC* is saying "we are now Cuba" like that's a BAD thing?

They need their meds adjusted. Is that covered by Obamacare?

Blogger Zen Trader March 24, 2016 11:22 AM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Anonymous Heh March 24, 2016 11:22 AM  

Again.. there is a sub-section of Trump supporters that are really... really... stupid.

So? There is a subset of Democrat supporters who are really, really stupid.

You and I call them "blacks" and "Hispanics".

Blogger Were-Puppy March 24, 2016 11:23 AM  

@20 TBA

BTW, I've bet on Trump for president at the odds 4.5. Those are odds I like.
---

Is there an insurance clause for if he gets wacked?

Blogger Zen Trader March 24, 2016 11:25 AM  

"...once the big money guys realize that Trump is not only going to be the nominee, but beat Hillary Clinton handily, the small fry will obediently fall in line, however much they might grumble."

------------------------------------------------------------------

This has already started. Sheldon Adelson has been signaling that he is leaning towards backing Trump, even defending him at one point during an interview. Trump has made the requisite promises to defend Israel from the Muslims. The media downplayed his speech at AIPAC, but what's telling is that MAGA yarmulkes were supposedly the hottest selling item at the conference.

Also telling is that the Koch brothers are on the sidelines for the primaries. Remember that one rumor du jour which stated that the Kochs would spend whatever was necessary to defeat Trump in the primaries? Well, that sum turned out to be zero dollars.

You can conclude one or more things from this. The first is that the real heavies actually made their money by being able to read the demands of the market. The second is that Trump has been working connections and back channels and, ahem, working out deals with them. It's unavoidable, always has been. He's funding his primary run, not the GE run. He doesn't have a billion to drop.

Now, the rest of the GOP has to decide whether or not it wants to win. The preparations should have already been well under way.

POST A COMMENT

Blogger Were-Puppy March 24, 2016 11:27 AM  

@24 Steve Spangled Banner

So although they declared me "British", I knew in my secret heart that I was a proud Southern hillbilly, just like Bo and Luke.
---

Quit talking and run for President on the Trans-Anchor Baby Ticket

Blogger VFM #7191 March 24, 2016 11:33 AM  

VFM #6306 wrote:Without Trump, Ted Cruz would have run a brilliant game to win the Party

I don't think so. Without Trump demolishing Yeb! and Rubio and driving them out of the race, Cruz would have found himself losing to them instead of Trump. Cruz just doesn't have the wide base of support he needs to win the nomination, to say nothing of the general.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan March 24, 2016 11:38 AM  

Since I have no influence or power within the Trump campaign I say make the Beatles song "Allright" as official campaign song

Anonymous Faceless March 24, 2016 11:38 AM  

If Trump had not run, Ted Cruz would not be the nominee.

Without Trump, it's 2012 rebooted:

Carson as Ron Paul
Ted Cruz as Rick Santorum
Kasich and Rubio fighting over who is Romney (I think Rubio) and who is Gingrich (I think Kasich)

Ted Cruz needs the RNC. He cannot win without them. They, at bottom, don't want him. He is not their boy. They will take him if their boy is out, for now, as he can be manipulated, as you see today, because he still cannot win without them.

Look at what the GOP did to O'Donnell. They all but endorsed the Democrat. They refused to campaign for her. Cornyn pulled the money from the Senate GOP committee. They said - go get the Tea Party to fund you - go get help from Jim DeMint. They handed the election to the Democrat happily - they would rather burn it down than share the "R".

Trump's $2 Billion in unearned media is the only new factor in this contest. We were never going to be offered anything but more of the same from the GOP - eat it and smile, here is your shit sandwich - because the reason for a party is to pool resources and get elected, and the RNC was only interested in sharing with its friends.

So Cruz would have gone down to noble defeat like Santorum, then gotten a nice high-paying lobbying job, maybe directly under his wife.

Carson would have fought all the way to the convention to be the voice of an outsider who gets the early spot on the first night.

Rubio and Kasich would have been the ticket, and they would have lost by a massive margin on a platform of open borders and that Kasich would have the first race reassignment surgery.

Blogger Josh March 24, 2016 11:40 AM  

Any books on The Imminent Hyperinflation you can recommend? I'd like to increase my info levels.


When have I ever predicted that?

Blogger Were-Puppy March 24, 2016 11:42 AM  

@55 Teri

And I find it interesting that Cruz and Bernie have been taking some of the same states (ID, UT, OK). What's up with that?
--

Maybe those states haven't been flooded with Mexicans?

Blogger Nate March 24, 2016 11:42 AM  

"I don't think so. Without Trump demolishing Yeb! and Rubio and driving them out of the race, Cruz would have found himself losing to them instead of Trump. "

this is where you have exactly backwards.

Trump didn't do anything. He is not the cause. He is the effect. The People destroyed Jeb. Jeb destroyed Jeb.

trump is just the most accurate reflection of the public mood. he is not the cause of the public mood.

Anonymous A Visitor March 24, 2016 11:44 AM  

"La, the drama! This is just the butthurt talking."

I read the entire article and that's exactly what it sounds like. The part about how it'll end in tears made me smile. Yeah, bub, I'll pick a side. I'll be 30 in December and I'll say this: Reagan is dead!!!!!!! Sorry, Jonah et. al. but he is! There will NEVER BE ANOTHER Reagan. Trump is Trump. Fall in line or get swept aside cucks!

@2 LOL! Who names their kid Reince? Seriously?!?

There are going to be more Islamic State attacks. Some of them may be in the USA. And every single one is going to drive more support to Trump. Remember, these guys have no principles. Once the Trump Train looks sufficiently inevitable, they'll all be scrambling to avoid being the last on board.

But but but...magic dirt!!! RACIST!!!!!!

@10

It certainly is possible that Mitt or ¡Jeb! will get the nod. If they do, be prepared for the greatest show on Earth. Oooh, and make some popcorn!

@16

I don't put faith in polls for two reasons. 1) Having actually done polling as part of a senior level class in undergrad, you can (while maintaining ethics and all that noise) make them come to whatever conclusion you want. Polls tell you more about polls than they what they claim to portray. 2) Attitudes change between now and Election Day.

@24 LOL! That was hilarious!

"If he gets the nod, all best are off as I doubt he will show her any mercy. In my opinion, he will wildly outperform the current polls if he makes it to the general."

@25 Those are my thoughts too! Provided he gets the nod, it's game, blouses! Hillary will be the mop he wipes the floor with and it'll be a question of will she be indicted before she a) dies from stress or b) commits suicide?

@31 Is that even a question, son? Glenlivet ftw!!!!!

"3. Makes Hilary literally break down and crap her pantsuit on national TV."

@48 I'd pay to see that. If anyone can guarantee it'd get in her pre debate drink, I'd be happy to buy the TurboLax.

Something like this would be ideal.

@73 If they're dumb enough to put her in the White House, that'll be the end. You know the best part? I won't give (to quote Vince Vaughn) a baker's **** anymore.

Anonymous Faceless March 24, 2016 11:44 AM  

Nate wrote:"I don't think so. Without Trump demolishing Yeb! and Rubio and driving them out of the race, Cruz would have found himself losing to them instead of Trump. "

this is where you have exactly backwards.

Trump didn't do anything. He is not the cause. He is the effect. The People destroyed Jeb. Jeb destroyed Jeb.

trump is just the most accurate reflection of the public mood. he is not the cause of the public mood.


You are exactly right on this. Jeb had no chance, with or without Trump, because Bush fatigue is real, and Rubio offered all the exact same things in a younger, more attractive package.

Trump didn't even destroy Rubio. Rubio destroyed Rubio.

Blogger Sam Lively March 24, 2016 11:45 AM  

@71 Nate

Do you think Trump because F*** You is the only rational reason to support Trump?

I count myself among the rational wing that supports Trump because he's the closest thing to Pat Buchanan since Pat Buchanan.

Blogger Were-Puppy March 24, 2016 11:46 AM  

@67 Josh

Perhaps you should inform God-Emperor Trump about this.
---

I see you've assumed the sale

OpenID b1bae96e-6447-11e3-b6bb-000f20980440 March 24, 2016 11:49 AM  

Koch brothers are smart. They realize that if the smear Trump, they might as well be endorsing him as the candidate of choice for disaffected Sanders supporters.

In fact, they are probably the only billionaire GOP donor at this point that genuinely think have a problem with Trump.

Blogger RobertT March 24, 2016 11:50 AM  

Just wondering. How do you see it playing out if Trump fails to get the 1237 delegates?

Blogger Were-Puppy March 24, 2016 11:51 AM  

@77 Josh
(((TRUMP)))/(((SANDERS))) 2016?
---

(((((((((((ROFLMAO!))))))))))

Blogger rumpole5 March 24, 2016 11:54 AM  

The zeitguiest feeding the Trump Tsunami reminds me of the Marat/Sade medley in a 60s album by Judy Collins (just substitute "Trump" for "Marat"):

Why do they have the gold? Why do they have the power? Why? Why? Why? Why?

Why do they have the friends at the top? Why do they have the jobs at the top?

Marat we're poor, and the poor stay poor. Marat don't make us wait any more.

We want our rights, and we don't care how.
We want a revolution, NOW!

Blogger Josh March 24, 2016 11:55 AM  

Just wondering. How do you see it playing out if Trump fails to get the 1237 delegates?

They probably nominate someone who didn't run. Most likely Paul Ryan.

Anonymous A Paradigm Is More Than Twenty Cents March 24, 2016 11:57 AM  

The People destroyed Jeb. Jeb destroyed Jeb.

And the GOPe never saw it coming. Last summer I told a smalltime GOP state functionary "People are done voting for the Bush family" and got a deer-in-the-headlights look in return. He could not process the idea. Obviously he wasn't the only one.

Blogger tz March 24, 2016 12:01 PM  

@65 - The group of children who have always seen the naked emperor have grown up and cannot be ignored.

If a bear or lion comes at me the rational thing is to shoot it.
If a boulder blocks my way, the rational thing to do is blow it up.
Trump is our version of a suicide bomber - without the suicide part, but we do expect he will kill off a large portion of the GOPe and wound enough of the rest while driving the Democrats (who might welcome the wounded) deep into the minority status they say they wish to be like.

Blogger Nate March 24, 2016 12:06 PM  

"Just wondering. How do you see it playing out if Trump fails to get the 1237 delegates?"

there is no way he doesn't get 1237. as long as he hits 1100 he will just make a deal to pick up the rest of the needed delegates and that's that.

Anonymous VFM #7916 March 24, 2016 12:08 PM  

Ah, Dark Lord!

Thank you for pointing out that the principle abandoning Cucks that populate the establishment won't have the balls to oppose the inevitable. If they flee the field when called a bigot or sexist, how can they possibly oppose Trump in any meaningful fashion?

Blogger Nate March 24, 2016 12:09 PM  

"I count myself among the rational wing that supports Trump because he's the closest thing to Pat Buchanan since Pat Buchanan. "

And I think that is a completely irrational conclusion. There is no reason to believe a damn thing Donald Trump says.

Blogger Student in Blue March 24, 2016 12:09 PM  

@Nate
oh its true.. those true-believer posts never get old. but sadly they too are only a sub-section of bernie supporters.

I'm completely failing to see your point. Did you expect someone to win any election with as broad of a voter base as we have, without having to win over idiots?

Why else are you bothering to point out that a subsection of Trump supporters are idiots?

Blogger praetorian March 24, 2016 12:10 PM  

When have I ever predicted that?

STOP DOUBLING DOWN. JUST STOP.

Blogger Sam Lively March 24, 2016 12:15 PM  

@123 Faceless

I think you have to give Trump some credit on this. Public mood is certainly a factor, but you need the right vessel for it to exert its full influence.

Everyone groaned when Romney claimed the establishment mantle in 2011. But none of Paul, Santorum, Gingrich or the rest had the right ingredients to channel that populist anger. Paul had the most principle and integrity and the closest thing to a sane foreign policy, but anarcho-libertarianism offered little to nothing to those pissed about immigration and trade. Santorum made a prescient effort to form the proto-Cruz/Trump coalition but he was a transparent political hack with no charisma. Gingrich took on the media, but he was a washed-up insider. And Cain offered outsider business man cred with a bit of showman flair, but he really was a clown.

Getting a guy like Trump who can sample the most appealing elements from each of the candidates in the last round isn't something to be taken for granted.

Blogger James Dixon March 24, 2016 12:16 PM  

> How do you see it playing out if Trump fails to get the 1237 delegates?

He'll cut a deal with Cruz to get his delegates.

Anonymous Til March 24, 2016 12:17 PM  

The people complaining that Trump can appeal to dumb people are hilarious.

Try winning an election with only the intelligent, principled set. Good luck. Conservatives are a failure partially because of that very stubbornness. Lose nobly, brave conservatives!

Blogger dh March 24, 2016 12:18 PM  

I don't understand why the GOPe thought they might be allowed to win this election cycle. The Senate map is nearly impossible for Republicans, with many liberal leaning seats open, and a weak bench to draw candidates from.

Sec. Clinton was next in line after Pres. Obama was done. It was already decided.

It really just seems they wanted to pick another Gov. Romney, or another Sen. Dole, to be the graceful loser, the reliable foible to the annointed leader.

If you are going to lose, lose with some panache, lose while standing for something.

National polls mean nothing at all at this point, or at any point, but just lose with some dignity.

Blogger Beau March 24, 2016 12:19 PM  

There is no reason to believe a damn thing Donald Trump says.

Which is why the Republican Establishment hasn't a leg to stand on; they've sown the wind, Trump is the whirlwind.

Blogger Nate March 24, 2016 12:22 PM  

"Why else are you bothering to point out that a subsection of Trump supporters are idiots?"

You're missing the point that part of Trump's strength is he's bringing people in who've never been involved before. As a bonus.. it just so happens that some of them are amazingly stupid... and its just as much fun to make fun of them as it is to make fun of Obama Phone Lady... or Bernie Supporter.

I think you believe I am trying to disparage Trump or Trump supporters over all.

I'm not.

I just enjoy fucking with the idiots.

Blogger Nate March 24, 2016 12:27 PM  

"Which is why the Republican Establishment hasn't a leg to stand on; they've sown the wind, Trump is the whirlwind."

correct. They created the environment where Trump was not only possible...but inevitable.

It is their whirlwind... and may they reap from it bountiful woe

Blogger Josh March 24, 2016 12:30 PM  

STOP DOUBLING DOWN. JUST STOP.

What?

Blogger Sam Lively March 24, 2016 12:30 PM  

@135 Nate

He's been pounding the trade drum for 25+ years, long before he started grooming himself to run for office in 2011.

He's been touting something similar to a Buchanan line on foreign policy for about as long, though with less coherence.

The immigration hawkishness did pop up conveniently close to his Presidential ambitions, so I agree there's ample reason to doubt his sincerity, but it's not like these positions sprang ex nihilo. Immigration restrictionism springs naturally from his authentic America first positions on trade and foreign policy.

There's some reason to believe him on gun rights too. He's a concealed carry guy and a hunter, as are his sons (anyone else catch the mini Cecil the Lion controversy the young Trumps got themselves into?).

There's little reason to believe his convenient conversion on the social issues and Supreme Court appointees is sincere, but so long as the GOP exerts some influence on him (as they did with Bush when he tried to give us Harriet Miers) sincerity isn't so crucial as the lack of hostility.

He's not as compelling as Buchanan, but he's the closest thing to him in the last 20 years of prominent GOP options.

Blogger Student in Blue March 24, 2016 12:35 PM  

@Nate
I just enjoy fucking with the idiots.

It looked more like Southron bellyaching than actual pleasure-taking.
Then again, the two are not exclusive.

It's just amusing to read what looks like "I can't stand this that or the other!" then come across, again, what looks to be claims of being above it all.

Blogger Sam Lively March 24, 2016 12:36 PM  

Actually on further research, Trump is not a hunter. Just his sons.

Anonymous Andrew E. March 24, 2016 12:40 PM  

Trump made noises during his 1999-2000 Reform Party stint about the need to reform our immigration procedures relating to both legal and illegal immigration. And he was in the fight during the 2013 Gang of Eight amnesty battle on the side of America.

Blogger rycamor March 24, 2016 12:43 PM  

Nate wrote:

trump is just the most accurate reflection of the public mood. he is not the cause of the public mood.


Exactly. The standard-issue 'murican has been all but ignored the past few elections, and he is in a mood to inflict some damage, and not all that concerned if a few bystanders get hurt in the process.

Anonymous #8601 Jean Valjean March 24, 2016 1:00 PM  

anyone else catch the mini Cecil the Lion controversy the young Trumps got themselves into?

Donald Trump Junior gets it. Possibly even more than Senior does!

Could be because he follows VD on Twitter, I don't know.

In any event, we may be witnessing the first stages of a Trump dynasty.

Blogger Nate March 24, 2016 1:11 PM  

"Actually on further research, Trump is not a hunter. Just his sons."

one of his sons is a competetive 1000 yard shooter... as well as a wingshooter. He reloads too.

Trump does carry.

i don't really think Guns would be the area he'd stab you in the back. I think he'd stab you in the back on abortion, foreign policy, and yes... Immigration.

Blogger praetorian March 24, 2016 1:11 PM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger praetorian March 24, 2016 1:12 PM  

What?

Exactly.

Annoying to have arguments you aren't making held up like they are, isn't it?

Blogger Nate March 24, 2016 1:14 PM  

"It looked more like Southron bellyaching than actual pleasure-taking.
Then again, the two are not exclusive."

I am responsible for the words on the screen. I am not responsible for the voice the heads of those reading the words.

again.. i do not consider myself above it. Merely outside it.

There are individual trump supporters I consider myself above... but by no means all trump supporters. I very much appreciate the Trump: Because Fuck You types... and I am very sympathetic to the BURN IT DOWN position.

Blogger Salt March 24, 2016 1:20 PM  

Sam Lively wrote:I count myself among the rational wing that supports Trump because he's the closest thing to Pat Buchanan since Pat Buchanan.

Oh, please! Where's the salt? The popcorn needs more salt.

Blogger Alexander March 24, 2016 1:21 PM  

We may be too stupid to realize that Trump is going to screw us.

But we're not too stupid to realize that the status quo has us dropped trou, hands on ankles, and no lube.

If there was a concern that low information stupids would vote for Trump and wreck the GOP, the GOP had decades to come up with an alternative.

They didn't, so who's really the stupid ones?

Blogger Alexander March 24, 2016 1:22 PM  

That being said, the only issue Trump can betray me on is immigration, because I don't expect him to do anything anywhere else, and would be content if he got everything else 100% wrong if he got that one thing right.

Anonymous #8601 Jean Valjean March 24, 2016 1:23 PM  

Nate, if Trump crushes Hillary in the fall but then goes pussy on immigration, it will be very disappointing.

But at least it won't be surprising thanks to your fair warning.

Anonymous Broken Arrow March 24, 2016 1:28 PM  

"think he'd stab you in the back on abortion, foreign policy, and yes... Immigration."

The wall is enough and reducing immigration is enough. He's not a savior, but perhaps a step in the right direction.

Blogger Student in Blue March 24, 2016 1:33 PM  

@Nate
I am responsible for the words on the screen. I am not responsible for the voice the heads of those reading the words.

I thought the rule of thumb was that if the speaker is misunderstood, the fault lies with the speaker.

Blogger Salt March 24, 2016 1:36 PM  

There's a lot of anti-Trump going around. Yeah, he may screw everyone. But, what if he doesn't? What if he slams immigration to a halt, deports the illegals? What IF Trump got rid of the IRS? What IF Trump fucking cleans house? There is that side to the 'what of' of The Donald.

Anonymous only1percent March 24, 2016 1:36 PM  

If Trump gets to the convention with well under a majority of the delegates, Trump will make a deal. He chooses his next favorite candidate and the GOPe (Rubio, Kasich, unpledged) delegates vote for him. Otherwise, Rule 40 guarantees the nominee will be Cruz, because the GOPe won't have 50%+1 of the delegates in enough states ever to put their choice into nomination, and will have to vote Cruz.

Anonymous only1percent March 24, 2016 1:38 PM  

As for who that would be ... Chris Christie certainly comes to mind. Endorsed Trump strongly, but perfectly palatable to the GOPe.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan March 24, 2016 1:41 PM  

Since this is yet another advice for Trump thread I want him to rip the QE bubble

Blogger Josh March 24, 2016 2:08 PM  

I thought the rule of thumb was that if the speaker is misunderstood, the fault lies with the speaker.

Depends on how stupid the audience is

Blogger Nate March 24, 2016 2:11 PM  

"I thought the rule of thumb was that if the speaker is misunderstood, the fault lies with the speaker."

You're applying two different rules... one of which I don't even support.

If I am explaining calculus and a monkey doesn't understand it... its not my fault. Its the monkey's.

But that's not the point. the point is words on a screen are just words on a screen. People read all kinds of emotions into that may or may not be justified. Often people read my comments and think I'm angry when I never am... or they think I'm this that or the other thing.. and I am almost never those things either.

there are things that I care deeply about... but they have nothing to do with words on the internet. I get mad about some scum bag breaking into my neighbors house. that's about it.

Blogger TontoBubbaGoldstein March 24, 2016 2:13 PM  

I think he'd stab you in the back on abortion, foreign policy, and yes... Immigration...

Then he's like damn near every Republican candidate in my lifetime not named Paul...and I'm uh..north of 50.


I very much appreciate the Trump: Because Fuck You types... and I am very sympathetic to the BURN IT DOWN position.

And he'll be good on the Second Amendment. You just can't get around that "from New York" thing. [It troubles me, too.] If he was from ALABAMA, you'd be on him like white on rice.

At least he's not from Ohio.

Blogger Scott6584 March 24, 2016 2:19 PM  

I still haven't backed off my support of Cruz, but...

The main problem with Establishment conservatives, and to some similar degree with more hard-core Tea Party type conservatives like myself, is the failure to recognize the difference between protecting "American Values" vs. protecting Americans. While I sincerely believe Cruz is more of the Constitutional Republican I'd like to see elected, the fact remains that protecting "American Values" has no value if you don't first protect Americans.

I've said for years that it is not "Law and Order" that appeals to the populations, but rather "Order and Law." First, order must be established by any means, and only then is the environment ready for a system of law. This played out in Texas history with the Texas Rangers, who ruthlessly enforced Order, so that Law had the fertile ground to later take root.

The Constitution and the Law is not supposed to be a straight jacket which binds the population to its own destruction, and is certainly not a suicide pact. And when the American people get fed up with politicians and leaders using the Law as a bludgeon to undo the Order they see as necessary for the successful functioning of the country, the people will rise up to re-establish that Order, no matter if the Law suffers.

This was first apparent when Andrew Jackson rose up to become President in 1828. He won a plurality of the Electoral College votes in 1824, but was denied the Presidency through political means in the House of Representatives. The "Establishment's" victory at the time was pyrrhic. The people revolted. The issue then was similar to what we have now.

1) People on the frontier were under attack from enemies who wanted them dead (American Indians). Whether you agree or not with the genocide of American Indians, the fact remains that the people who elected the officials in Washington rightly expected the government to protect them.

2) Monied interests were monopolizing power through a corrupt Central Banking system to enrich themselves at the expense of regular people.

3) The Establishment in Washington had for years ignored the cries of the people to put their interests first, and instead were dedicated to maintaining "American Values" over protecting Americans.

Ultimately, Jackson was elected President, and over the strenuous objections of Congress, political opinion leaders, media powers, and even a ruling from the Supreme Court, rounded up the Indians and sent them on the Trail of Tears to Oklahoma. Despite still being roundly condemned today, the fact is that Jackson recognized defending the people themselves was more important than defending ephemeral "values." And he established Order on the frontiers by soundly defeating the enemies of civilization.

(Full Disclosure: My Cherokee and Choctaw ancestors were among the displaced who were forced to emigrate to Oklahoma.)

(continued in next post)

Blogger Scott6584 March 24, 2016 2:20 PM  

(...continued from last post.)

Later, after the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, FDR did NOT stand on "principle", and protect the rights of Japanese Americans. Instead, he rounded up the Japanese, and put them in internment camps until the end of the war - including the family members of Japanese descended soldiers in the US armed forces. He, like Andrew Jackson, recognized that defending Americans took priority over defending "American values."

The reason my candidate, Cruz, is only getting minimal traction, is that while he is a staunch defender of the Constitution, and the "American Values" of limited government, the people are fed up with the powers that be in government, culture, media, education, and business ignoring the plight of Americans, and telling them to shut up in the so-called name of "American Values."

On the other hand, Trump is promising to defend Americans, the actual people, and American values be damned. He is promising to re-establish Order, and fight the enemies of the people who are hiding behind the "American Values" of tolerance, and the American respect for the Law.

Essentially, the time has come once again that the American people are rising up to claim their sovereignty. People like to say that America is a nation of Laws, not a nation of men. That is false. Ultimately, the people WILL RULE, and not the discredited powers in New York, Hollywood, Washington, and the Ivy League Law Schools.

That is why Trump is winning, and why Cruz is losing. And that is why I still believe it is likely that Trump will overcome the negative polls and win in November. But even if 2016 is like 1824, and the forces propelling the Trump campaign lose, the people will not stop. The people WILL DEMAND fealty from the powers currently leading the country, and the preference for overturning the historical Order of the country will not stand.

Blogger Alexander March 24, 2016 2:22 PM  

No, Nate wouldn't.

I disagree with Nate on Trump. But just as he recognizes that "Trump, because fuck you," is a reasonable position, so to is "y'all do whatever you want, it's your country: mine's currently occupied."

Nate's position also encompasses the logic that Trump is a Yankee, Yankees lie to screw over free men, therefore Trump is going to lie and screw us over.

Which... fair enough point of view.

If Trump were from Alabama, Nate would probably have a laugh that Yankees are such cucks they'd vote a foreigner from a country they occupied to rule them, and conclude that if such a guy was willing to work for the Yankees, he probably isn't worth trusting.

Blogger Alexander March 24, 2016 2:24 PM  

Scott, well put.

Blogger Scott6584 March 24, 2016 2:29 PM  

One more thought. The #NeverTrump# people simply don't understand. They think they are attacking Trump, but are in fact giving voice to a rationale that the American People are not truly sovereign. That is why their campaign is failing. Its not really about Trump. It is about Americans regaining their voice, and their rightful place.

Government and Cultural powers have forgotten that they SERVE at our behest, and instead have adopted the position of overlords. The People will not allow this for much longer. Either the powers-that-be will bend the knee to the people, or their kneecaps will be broken, and they'll lay prostrate and defeated before the rage of the mob.

Anonymous a_peraspera March 24, 2016 2:31 PM  

Trump will make a deal...with whom? The party insiders who have sworn to deny him the nomination?

I don't think he can make a deal with Cruz, because who the delegates support is not up to Cruz, once the first ballot is cast.

I hope Trump wins that first ballot, because after that the delegates are free to vote for ANYONE, i.e. Kasich, Romney, Ryan etc.

Blogger Student in Blue March 24, 2016 2:34 PM  

@Nate
If I am explaining calculus and a monkey doesn't understand it... its not my fault. Its the monkey's.

On one hand, the rule of thumb presupposes everything else being equal. On the other, no one's entirely equal, so...

It may be a wash.

But that's not the point. the point is words on a screen are just words on a screen. People read all kinds of emotions into that may or may not be justified. Often people read my comments and think I'm angry when I never am... or they think I'm this that or the other thing.. and I am almost never those things either.


By that token, who's responsible for the words? At the very least there's a two-way road, a give-and-take with how to make sure your intentions are coming across clearly to those whom you are talking to.

Sure, other people get you wrong. If they're doing it once in a while, that happens because you can't communicate perfectly to everyone all the time. If they're getting you wrong all the time, either they're all messed up in the head OR you're not communicating properly.

And how likely is it that everyone else is just wrong and you're the one in the right?

Blogger James Dixon March 24, 2016 2:34 PM  

> I thought the rule of thumb was that if the speaker is misunderstood, the fault lies with the speaker.

If a speaker is consistently misunderstood, yes. A single misunderstanding, no.

> Which... fair enough point of view.

Yeah, it's a hard one to argue with given the historical record.

Blogger Scott6584 March 24, 2016 2:44 PM  

RobertT wrote:Just wondering. How do you see it playing out if Trump fails to get the 1237 delegates?

Trump will still win the nomination, unless there is a dramatic turnaround in favor of Cruz. If Trump just barely falls short, the Republican establishment doesn't have the credibility to deny him the nomination. He'll still get it on a subsequent ballot.

There is still a small chance for Cruz to pull a turn-around, but the odds are highly stacked against him. And while I understand the short-term strategic decision to passively allow the #NeverTrump# players to make their case, this week's attack ad by non-affiliated groups against Melania Cruz isn't helping Cruz in the long run.

While Cruz has no more control over the #NeverTrump# dickheads than Trump has over Arian Nation guys who support him, the implied association helps neither campaign. This is just politics; down and dirty politics.

Blogger SciVo March 24, 2016 2:46 PM  

Teri wrote:And I find it interesting that Cruz and Bernie have been taking some of the same states (ID, UT, OK). What's up with that?

Mormons, at least in the first two. They aren't anti-authoritarian or anti-elitism, so they fit Cruz better on the R side; but they have a consensus that the Clintons are evil incarnate, so for the Democrats among them, their only option is Sanders.

Anonymous Frank Brady March 24, 2016 2:48 PM  

That's Joe, not "John"McCarthy.

Blogger Nate March 24, 2016 2:53 PM  

"By that token, who's responsible for the words? At the very least there's a two-way road, a give-and-take with how to make sure your intentions are coming across clearly to those whom you are talking to."

I take responsibility for the words. I take no responsibility for the emotional projection of the reader.

my positions are perfectly clear. and I worry a great less than Vox does about being misunderstood... and hell... Vox is the guy who says straight up he doesn't expect to be understood.

Blogger Alexander March 24, 2016 2:54 PM  

I put the Bernie and Cruz taking the same states down to this:

Bernie and Cruz get the white vote when the white vote is more-or-less completely sheltered from the affects of diversity.

Now to be fair to Cruz, that is not all that Cruz has won. And that's not to say it's the establishment cucks: it's the whites who think they can still afford to play the Muh Constitution game while the barbarians are flooding in past the gates.

I think Scott hit this point very well, and I think there's a strong correlation: whites who are not worried about protecting themselves are more concerned with protecting abstract values.

For Bernie, it's quite literally the coalition of the virtue-signal shitlibs who like the idea of large numbers of dindus, because diversity, so long as that diversity is in other people's neighborhoods.

Blogger Nate March 24, 2016 2:55 PM  

" If he was from ALABAMA, you'd be on him like white on rice."

Clinton and Gore were both from the South... as was Carter. Do you suppose I voted for them? or supported them in any way shape or form?

No sugar.

Get this trough your head. Its not my country. its not my election. In terms of Trump... Alexander is spot on. Trump is a yankee... and yankees... always and forever... lie.

Thus...

Trump is lying.

Blogger Nate March 24, 2016 2:58 PM  

"While Cruz has no more control over the #NeverTrump# dickheads than Trump has over Arian Nation guys who support him, the implied association helps neither campaign. This is just politics; down and dirty politics."

oh I agree completely... but dirty politics is just part of it. its the way the game is played. no sense crying about it.

Blogger Nate March 24, 2016 3:00 PM  

i often suspect that flames are being fanned by the democrats too. They would benefit greatly from Cruz and Trump getting way to personal and getting to the point where they couldn't work together.

The very last thing the democrats want is Donald Trump and Ted Cruz combining forces. Ted's organization behind Trump would absolutely destroy any democrat.

Blogger sysadmn March 24, 2016 3:18 PM  

I'm reminded a quote from the guy who invented the Transputer - "The problem with being ahead of your time is that by the time people realize you were right, they'll claim it was obvious all along."

Wait for the flood of pundits claiming that The Donald's nomination (and election) was obvious all along.

Blogger Snidely Whiplash March 24, 2016 3:29 PM  

Alexander wrote:Nominating Donald Trump will wreck the Republican party as we know it.

Only the parts that need wrecking.

Those are the only parts Jonah wants to save.

Blogger SciVo March 24, 2016 3:31 PM  

David Power wrote:Question...

Which one of these is nearer the truth:

a) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HV2GhOkQ1yY

b) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G59mNNfLZx8


I think they both have elements of truth. Jews are not homogenous, so of course some support or oppose Trump for the same kinds of reasons as everyone else. However the absolute complete freakout in some quarters has been quite remarkable to behold. But we don't have to go to a conspiracy theory.

That we see support for different policies at home and abroad could be explained by how religious conservatives vote in Israel, versus how a few wealthy secular liberals exercise their outsized influence in America and elsewhere.

And I'm not psychic so I don't know if it's true, but the hysterical flipout looks a lot like cognitive dissonance to me, which is just to be expected for immigrants and people with dual citizenship. Being both American and non-American, when confronted with pro-Americanism, their brains short-circuit. And then the resulting vigorous anti-pro-Americanism looks a lot like anti-Americanism, fueling conspiracy theories.

Maybe that's all bunk and I'm the one experiencing cognitive dissonance, but as long as there's a charitable explanation I'll take it.

Blogger Snidely Whiplash March 24, 2016 3:35 PM  

Enquirer publishes story that Ted has kept 5 mistresses. That ought to help him in Wisconsin

Blogger swiftfoxmark2 March 24, 2016 3:35 PM  

Perhaps you should inform God-Emperor Trump about this.

Nice snark Josh.

Blogger Snidely Whiplash March 24, 2016 3:44 PM  

I wonder if the Cruz mistress story is retaliation for the Melania attack. It's exactly the sort of thing Trump would do.

Blogger VFM #7191 March 24, 2016 4:01 PM  

Nate wrote:trump is just the most accurate reflection of the public mood. he is not the cause of the public mood.

It's true that Trump is tapping into anger that was already there. But only he could have channeled that anger into the mass movement we're seeing today. Cruz couldn't have done that.

Blogger VFM #7191 March 24, 2016 4:03 PM  

Josh wrote:They probably nominate someone who didn't run. Most likely Paul Ryan.

I hope you're right. Let the GOP completely destroy themselves.

Anonymous BGKB March 24, 2016 4:04 PM  

Enquirer publishes story that Ted has kept 5 mistresses. That ought to help him in Wisconsin

Did they run the story before Utah's primary?

I disagree with Nate on Trump. But just as he recognizes that "Trump, because fuck you," is a reasonable position

Vote Trump for less illegal aliens bringing the anchor babies into the ER for diaper rash & less illegal alien drunk drivers.

Blogger RobertT March 24, 2016 4:08 PM  

Scott6584
Kasich is catching up in Penn.

Blogger RobertT March 24, 2016 4:17 PM  

Scott6584

I like your stuff. I'm also Cherokee & Choctaw. Kind of an odd combination. Never thought I'd run into another. Sooner or later you'll switch to Trump. You recognize the real issues.

Anonymous Randall March 24, 2016 5:52 PM  

I see that Jonah Goldberg has finally realized that Donald Trump has run a Xanatos Gambit on the Republican Party.

Blogger Austin Ballast March 24, 2016 5:58 PM  

I have not heard that the Trail of Tears was supposedly necessary to protect Americans at the time. It always sounded more like a "grab territory to benefit the in crowd" to me. Any evidence otherwise?

Nate,

he'd stab you in the back on abortion

Who hasn't? What real changes have we had in that over the last 40 years including both Bushes, saint Reagan, etc.?

Blogger Nate March 24, 2016 5:59 PM  

"Who hasn't? What real changes have we had in that over the last 40 years including both Bushes, saint Reagan, etc.?"

outside of Dubya's stemcell research ban... that's really it.

1 – 200 of 215 Newer› Newest»

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts