ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2016 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Monday, March 21, 2016

Open Brainstorm tomorrow night

As I mentioned yesterday, tomorrow night I'm hosting an Open Brainstorm event featuring C.R. Hallpike, the anthropologist and the author of DO WE NEED GOD TO BE GOOD, which, thanks to the readers here, is presently the #1 bestseller in Ethics. This is a good thing, as clearly, in light of the earlier announcement today, some of you are in desperate need of some beyond "if it moves, kill it"... or so I am told.

Anyhow, it's an excellent book and I'm very much looking forward to interviewing Dr. Hallpike. Of course, you'll have the chance to ask him questions too, so if you've already picked up the book, I'd encourage you to at least read the chapter on secular humanism before tomorrow night's event.

The Brainstorm is Mar 22, 2016 8:00 PM Eastern and is open to everyone. Seats are limited to 500, so if you want to attend, be sure to register now. I'll also have a little announcement at the event about the upcoming release of Mr. Dominic Saltarelli's new book, to which I had the honor of contributing, On the Existence of Gods.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger praetorian March 21, 2016 1:52 PM  

Will this brainstorm be hosted by an academic press?

Anonymous Stickcwick March 21, 2016 2:21 PM  

Will this brainstorm be hosted by an academic press?

I suspect there will be some extreme bias.

Looking forward to this interview. It's good to see books like this resonating with people -- our side is finally reclaiming the intellectual high ground from secular humanists.

Anonymous Dave Gerrold's Cabana Boy March 21, 2016 5:06 PM  

I fear the contents may not be sound based on the (lack of) pedigree of the Publishing House.

Looking forward to it.

Blogger LP9 Forever Solidified in Gold! Rin Integra S.I.G. March 21, 2016 5:07 PM  

"if it moves, kill it"... or so I am told.

Yep.

If one cannot make the brainstorm or just wants to listen or read later can we buy a transcript to show our support/gratitude? The anthropology interests me.

Blogger SciVo March 21, 2016 9:21 PM  

I've been a Baptist and a Catholic. I've memorized the Bible in AWANAS and studied the Catechism. I've even taken a college-level course on the ethical life, and I still have that instinct to kill whatever moves.

It's the human condition, as Hannah Arendt explained in the book of the same name. We are what we are, but we can try to be better.

Blogger SciVo March 21, 2016 9:26 PM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Anonymous #8601 Jean Valjean March 22, 2016 10:03 AM  

This is probably the most important topic in the world. Really looking forward to the Brainstorm.

Blogger SciVo March 22, 2016 1:59 PM  

Jean, it's the most important topic in the multiverse. I actually ponder the question sometimes, if D&D were real in another universe and I was called there by a wizard, would I do like Ruth and go with the god(s) of the locals? Or would I stay faithful?

I know that sounds strange. I don't care.

Anonymous VFM #6306 March 22, 2016 4:21 PM  

You are a total weirdo SciVo.

I love it.

Blogger SciVo March 22, 2016 6:15 PM  

#6306, the thing about high IQ and lots of knowledge is that on the one hand you get to worry about things that other people don't even understand (like what if stepping off the elevator leads to an alternate reality where everything is just barely close enough that you don't notice), on the other hand it's awesome, and on the gripping hand you know that the brain is a rationalization engine so you question everything you think you know because you're your own worst enemy in the search for Truth.

And thank you.

Anonymous Great data for Water Main Repair April 01, 2016 9:04 AM  

Probably the best refutation of evolutionary psychology and sociobiological claims about "human nature". A must read.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts