ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2016 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Saturday, April 09, 2016

Cameron must go

Is it possible David Cameron is a secret Leave? Because short of growing a Hitler stache and dressing in a EU fascist uniform, complete with a blue-and-yellow armband, it's hard to imagine how David Cameron could more aggressively drive the British people towards #Brexit:
Thousands march on No10 calling for Cameron to quit over tax revelations: Under-fire PM admits 'I should have handled it better' and agrees to publish his returns amid Panama Papers scandal

Protesters called for Mr Cameron to resign after he admitted profiting from more than £30k in an offshore tax haven. Revelations about Mr Cameron's financial affairs followed a leak of 11 million documents held by Mossack Fonseca. PM's ratings now lower than Jeremy Corbyn with 56% saying they did not think he had been 'open and transparent'. Speaking at the Tory Spring Conference, Mr Cameron admitted he botched the handling of the row over his finances.
He's also botched the handling of the most important political decision of his time, which is the recovery of British sovereignty.

Wonderful timing from Wikileaks.

I don't know if the Prime Minister will resign, but he most certainly should follow the lead of Iceland's prime minister and do so. He's a horrendous hypocrite, he's openly taken sides against the nation he is supposed to govern, and he has zero credibility.

This looks like a Labor protest, but if the Conservatives join them, as they should, Cameron will have no choice but to step down in disgrace. It's time for Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage to step up and demand his resignation.

Labels: ,

28 Comments:

Anonymous johnc April 09, 2016 11:42 AM  

Can't wait for the rest of these papers to be released next month.

Anonymous Brick Hardslab April 09, 2016 11:44 AM  

Thirty K? That's piddling sum to try to hide for a politician. Do European politicians just not make much money. I think that one congressman had more money in his freezer at home.

Blogger Stg58/Animal Mother April 09, 2016 11:44 AM  

If Cameron is a secret leave, he would be a Devil's Advocate of the Taylor Caldwell variety.

Blogger The Other Robot April 09, 2016 11:48 AM  

It's time for Boris Johnson and Niles Farage

You probably mean Nigel.

Blogger James Dixon April 09, 2016 11:59 AM  

> ...he admitted profiting from more than £30k in an offshore tax haven.

There's little doubt he's going to have to resign over this. It's just not something the PM should be doing. However, even folks living paycheck to paycheck have to know that 30K pounds is chump change to someone like Cameron.

Blogger J G Pelham April 09, 2016 12:11 PM  

Except the amount of shares he had was below the parliamentary reporting threshold for that category of shares. I don't like him much and I hope we leave the EU but I'd prefer he gets held accountable for the things he's actually done rather than this little stupidity which he will easily dismiss when he publishes his tax return.

Blogger Michael O'Duibhir April 09, 2016 12:13 PM  

"Because short of growing a Hitler stache and dressing in a EU fascist uniform, complete with a blue-and-yellow armband, it's hard to imagine how David Cameron could more aggressively drive the British people towards #Brexit..."

Nah, he's a Rothschild buttboy. He does what he's told.

Anonymous BGKB April 09, 2016 12:18 PM  

£30k in an offshore tax haven

Is that all it took for him to sell out, I guess we should at least be glad its not 30 shekels. Cameron should Bern in Hell.

I think that one congressman had more money in his freezer at home.

When the DC madams records come out you will see that some spent more than that on hookers in a month.

Blogger J G Pelham April 09, 2016 12:28 PM  

The Daily Mail has perhaps the easiest website to navigate to find stories of the major UK newspapers but it isn't very competent.

The Adam Smith Institute have a clearer take on the issue. http://www.adamsmith.org/blog/what-tax-dodging

Blogger J G Pelham April 09, 2016 12:32 PM  

This article by Order Order (a very good UK politics blog) shows an extract from the parliamentary rules section that explains the other bit. http://order-order.com/2016/04/08/why-cameron-didnt-declare-blairmore-in-2009-register-of-interests/ 53a is the relevant section.

Blogger pyrrhus April 09, 2016 12:50 PM  

When will we hear more about the Clintons' Cayman Islands accounts? Probably a bit more than 30K...

Blogger Keyser Soze April 09, 2016 12:53 PM  

I live in Europe (Luxembourg) and as an American citizen, I always say how terrible, awful and evil European politicians are. Then I add how American politicians are worse. When will the Panama left foot fall for the Americans??

Anonymous Satan's Hamster April 09, 2016 1:10 PM  

The funny part is that the lefties are out in force demanding Cameron go... when he's an international socialist who pushed 'gay marriage' through a 'conservative' government. An likely replacement will be nowhere near so far to the left.

Anonymous Eduardo April 09, 2016 1:13 PM  

Totally off-Topic but the reader-o-meter is 1580, dude never seem it this high. How far is vox from reaching 2.5 M reader per month?

Blogger VD April 09, 2016 1:30 PM  

Don't cross post.

How far is vox from reaching 2.5 M reader per month?

About 230k per month, if you're talking pageviews. My best guess is that we'll hit it in August, for various reasons.

Blogger James Dixon April 09, 2016 1:31 PM  

> Is that irrational of me?

Is that a hypothetical question? :)

Anonymous Eduardo April 09, 2016 1:43 PM  

My bad, got excited... Also confused the order of magnitude there.

So when will Italy go straight the way of all other Euro nations? Use to think that England was the furthest away from Euro regime but the verrrry conservative Signore Caneron seems more like a Fabian socialist of sorts!

Italy can't be that further behind on the treadmill to destruction!

Anonymous MendoScot April 09, 2016 1:44 PM  

Won't happen. The rent-a-crowd of left to extreme left protesters will actually engender sympathy for him. There was even a SJ sign amongst the blue/green/rainbow-haired landwhales.

Blogger Cataline Sergius April 09, 2016 2:14 PM  

David Cameron is the perfect argument against a Paul Ryan nomination.

Blogger James Dixon April 09, 2016 2:21 PM  

> Except the amount of shares he had was below the parliamentary reporting threshold for that category of shares.

That doesn't matter. It's the appearance of tax evasion that will get him. The amount isn't important. He's supposed to be above that.

Anonymous MendoScot April 09, 2016 2:31 PM  

It's not even that, Jimmy. He's using expensive tax loopholes to avoid paying the high UK taxes that he is responsible for and enforces on others. It's the hypocrisy that will get him.

Blogger seeingsights April 09, 2016 3:31 PM  

I have no use for David Cameron. The leader of the British conservatives endorses a deeply unconservative project--the European Union. It's, come to think of it, a pity, for if he had a different views on the EU and on the migrant crisis, he could have gone down as one of the great Conservative statesmen (albeit below WInston Churchill and Margaret Thatcher)

Blogger Ahazuerus April 09, 2016 3:45 PM  

@20 James Dixon:

The amount is important but not, as you say, because it will protect him politically.

It is important because if he loses his job but still manages to convince Joe Public that rich people set up tax avoidance schemes in the Caribbean over amounts as low as 30,000GBP then he will never be without rich friends and therefore, employment.

Any such scheme worth joining probably costs that much just to set up.

Blogger sconzey April 09, 2016 5:16 PM  

Whether you like David Cameron or not, this is a non-story. He put 12k into a hedge fund based in Ireland, that grew to 30k when he sold his stake. Any dividends he received would have gone on his tax return and he would have paid income tax. When he sold his stake in the fund he would have paid capital gains tax. As far as I am aware, there's no evidence of tax avoidance of any kind. The BBC had a 'tax expert' on this morning who said 'If a client of mine asked how to make his finances tax efficient, this is the last thing I would advise.'

Blogger sconzey April 09, 2016 5:20 PM  

Here is a poor-quality video of that tax expert.

Blogger Tom K. April 09, 2016 9:30 PM  

Great reference from a great book!

So much literature is lost to future generations. I blame the internet. And socialism. And hard words in long paragraphs.

Blogger Tom K. April 09, 2016 9:31 PM  

Great reference from a great book!

So much literature is lost to future generations. I blame the internet. And socialism. And hard words in long paragraphs.

Blogger James Dixon April 09, 2016 11:03 PM  

> He's using expensive tax loopholes to avoid paying the high UK taxes that he is responsible for and enforces on others. It's the hypocrisy that will get him.

Well, yeah. That's why he's supposed to be above such things. Even the appearance of him evading taxes could easily be fatal. It this looks like more than just the appearance.

> Whether you like David Cameron or not, this is a non-story.

I doubt the average Brit agrees. But we'll find out soon enough.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts