ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2016 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

An announcement from Dr. Pournelle

From Chaos Manor: Announcing Hardbound Edition: There Will Be War, Volumes I & II. The first two volumes of the 1980’s anthologies bound together in a hardbound edition. Obviously these are available as eBooks for considerably less, but if you want them as a book, this is your opportunity.

There Will Be War Volumes I & II is 702 pages, casebound hardcover, and retails for $34.99 at Amazon. It may show up at other brick-and-mortar bookstores, but when that will be we do not know. It contains the complete contents of the first two volumes of Dr. Pournelle's classic military science fiction series and marks the first time There Will Be War has ever been available in hardcover.

The omnibus edition of Volumes I & II contain 42 stories, articles, and poems. Of particular note are "Reflex" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, the original "Ender's Game" novella by Orson Scott Card, "In the Name of the Father" by Edward P. Hughes, "Cincinnatus" by Joel Rosenberg, "On the Shadow of a Phosphor Screen" by William Wu, and "Proud Legions," an essay on the Korean War by T.R. Fehrenbach.

We do not plan to release There Will Be War in paperback. The next hardcover edition will be Volumes IX & X. We designed these editions for serious fans of the series who intend to collect them; as you can see, the Vol. II cover is featured on the front while the Vol. I cover is on the back.

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

Blogger #7139 May 17, 2016 4:08 AM  

Excellent. Bought my copy yesterday after you tweeted about it.

Blogger Markku May 17, 2016 4:08 AM  

For anyone who wonders about the price, this is a big damned book. Not only is the page count 702, but it's one of the largest paper sizes out there.

Blogger Markku May 17, 2016 4:15 AM  

Amazon: "Shipping Weight: 2.5 pounds"

So yeah... You're not going to read this in an airplane.

Anonymous Pax_Romana May 17, 2016 4:45 AM  

There Will Be War volume 1 was my transition out of Heinlein's series of juvenile books. I do believe this hardcover will top my Christmas list.

Thanks, Supreme Dark Lord and Dr Pournelle.

Blogger weka May 17, 2016 6:34 AM  

Hardcover will be ordered. For reference when the grid goes down or the kindle gets converged.

Blogger Markku May 17, 2016 6:51 AM  

Since that got mentioned again, I'll mention again that all our Kindle books are always without DRM. So, you can backup all of them using this method.

The existing internal Kindle format is .mobi, and rumor is that they are moving towards using .epub as the internal format. They are wrapped into an .azw file, which is what will appear after you save it with those instructions, but due to no DRM, Calibre can open it and understand it in the internal format. Then, you simply choose what format you want to convert it to. I recommend .epub, but .pdf is also always an option. Then Amazon cannot delete your book, no matter how much they might want to.

Blogger Nate May 17, 2016 7:19 AM  

I'm some what depressed I can't have it bound in alligator hide.

Blogger Markku May 17, 2016 7:45 AM  

At least not until we have done typesetting for all volumes.

Blogger VD May 17, 2016 8:11 AM  

Don't complain when your comments start randomly disappearing in the future, Phillip George. I've proceeded from deleting your off-topic comments to spamming them.

Blogger Lobo Util May 17, 2016 8:36 AM  

@7. Nate - I believe they are coming out with an SJW hide edition in a couple of months.

Blogger Steffen May 17, 2016 9:42 AM  

I'm still a little bummed that when I purchased Vol. 1 from the Castalia store, the link to my free bonus download of Vol. 2 did not work.

I am glad you guys republished them, or else all I would have known of the series would be the blog comments here. Aka, "These books rock, and are out of print. No, you can't have mine."

Blogger VD May 17, 2016 9:48 AM  

I'm still a little bummed that when I purchased Vol. 1 from the Castalia store, the link to my free bonus download of Vol. 2 did not work.

So email me. If you already bought Vol 2, I'll send you your choice of the other ones.

Blogger VD May 17, 2016 9:49 AM  

I believe they are coming out with an SJW hide edition in a couple of months.

We're just waiting for Rape Rape to die in a Doritos-related incident. Once we hose the yellow dust off and skin him. I figure we'll get a good 10-12 covers out of his hide.

Anonymous MendoScot May 17, 2016 10:06 AM  

It puts on the lotion or it gets the hose.

And cheers, Markku. Kindle for Mac goes to great lengths to hide their library. I had been looking for it earlier this week.

Anonymous RCPete May 17, 2016 10:43 AM  

Most of my SF paperbacks didn't make my last move, so this is great. Just made the order. I might have to clear up some space on the bookcase; perhaps Tuf Voyaging...

Blogger Markku May 17, 2016 10:45 AM  

Just don't throw out your Space Raptor Butt Invasion.

Anonymous aviendha May 17, 2016 12:05 PM  

Ordered. Moar please.

Blogger VD May 17, 2016 12:24 PM  

Ordered. Moar please.

Thank you. We have three more print books that should go live within the next 7-10 days.

Blogger Were-Puppy May 17, 2016 1:32 PM  

@6 Markku

Since that got mentioned again, I'll mention again that all our Kindle books are always without DRM. So, you can backup all of them using this method.
---

Thank you for posting this. I have gotten a nice collection of ebooks going now, many Castalia House, and don't want to lose them.

Blogger Aeoli Pera May 17, 2016 5:52 PM  

Markku wrote:Amazon: "Shipping Weight: 2.5 pounds"

So yeah... You're not going to read this in an airplane.


You should add slots so they can be used as adjustable dumbbells as more volumes come out.

Blogger Markku May 17, 2016 8:18 PM  

I would totally provide my full services (being a TRUE BUCKAROO) to Dr. Tingle in getting Space Raptor Butt Invasion bound in alligator leather at the Bessenberg Bindery.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts