ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2016 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Monday, June 13, 2016

There Will Be War vol. V

Castalia House is pleased to announce the publication of THERE WILL BE WAR Volume V. THERE WILL BE WAR is a landmark science fiction anthology series that combines top-notch military science fiction with factual essays by various generals and military experts on everything from High Frontier and the Strategic Defense Initiative to the aftermath of the Vietnam War. It featured some of the greatest military science fiction ever published, such Orson Scott Card’s “Ender’s Game” in Volume I, Joel Rosenberg’s “Cincinnatus” in Volume II, and Arthur C. Clarke’s “Hide and Seek” in Volume III . Many science fiction greats were featured in the original nine-volume series, which ran from 1982 to 1990, including Robert Heinlein, Arthur C. Clarke, Philip K. Dick, Gordon Dickson, Poul Anderson, John Brunner, Gregory Benford, Robert Silverberg, Harry Turtledove, and Ben Bova.

34 years later, Castalia House has joined with Dr. Jerry Pournelle to revive this classic science fiction series and make the previous volumes available to the public again. THERE WILL BE WAR is a treasure trove of science fiction and history that will educate and amaze new readers while reminding old ones how much the world has changed over the last three decades. Most of the stories, like war itself, remain entirely relevant today.

THERE WILL BE WAR Volume V is edited by Jerry Pournelle and features 21 stories, articles, and poems. Of particular note are “He Fell Into a Dark Hole” by Jerry Pournelle, “The Interrogation Team” by David Drake, “The Road Not Taken” by Harry Turtledove, “Masterplay” by William F. Wu, and “House of Weapons” by Gordon Dickson. It retails for $4.99.

In my opinion, Volume V is one of the stronger volumes in the series. I particularly like Wu's “Masterplay”, which was influential in my subsequent decision to become a game designer. We have now published 7 of the 10 volumes in the anthology series, and expect to complete the series this year. Every fan of military science fiction will want to read all of them; for the serious collectors, Vols I and II are now available in a 700-page hardcover omnibus.

New Release subscribers, check your email, as you won't want to miss the bonus book.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger residentMoron June 13, 2016 5:55 AM  

Done, and done.

FYI, link to Amazon for TWBW5 in my email redirected here rather than to Amazon...

Blogger Phillip George June 13, 2016 6:10 AM  

#Je Suis Orlando

I understand that publishing must go on Vox; and going to gay bars is how we can prove to the world that the terrorists haven't won.

But don't you think you should be trying to get the Eiffel tower lit up in the Florida State Flag colors as a show of solidarity?

Blogger Phillip George June 13, 2016 6:14 AM  

Perhaps in memory of the innocent victims you could put out a special edition: "There will be Florida"

Blogger VD June 13, 2016 6:21 AM  

FYI, link to Amazon for TWBW5 in my email redirected here rather than to Amazon...

Yes, it is supposed to do so.

Blogger Dave June 13, 2016 7:17 AM  

Absolutely fabulous. Amazon 1-click is mahvelous.


trying to get the Eiffel tower lit up in the Florida State Flag colors as a show of solidarity?

No, in Italy they are turning the Leaning Tower into a gay bathhouse.

Blogger Matthew June 13, 2016 9:14 AM  

Volume V also has my favorite from the entire series, "Coup", by Mack Reynolds.

Blogger Cluebat Vanexodar June 13, 2016 12:16 PM  

I am very happy with my new hardcover. It really brings back memories of the feelings that I had while serving in the Navy during the Reagan years. He really turned us around and gave us our pride back. I also remember when there was a demonstration of a ballistic missile interception off the Cali coast with a rocket-launched "net". I was reassured about our ABM capability. Turns out that this was a ruse, and the Soviets took the bait. I wonder how much money they spent reacting to that display.

Blogger WerePuppy June 13, 2016 12:24 PM  

Cluebat Vanexodar wrote: I also remember when there was a demonstration of a ballistic missile interception off the Cali coast with a rocket-launched "net". I was reassured about our ABM capability. Turns out that this was a ruse, and the Soviets took the bait. I wonder how much money they spent reacting to that display.

You just reminded me of a book I read about the Reagan years and how they would use disinformation against the Soviets. I believe it was called "Victory".

IIRC, they would use disinformation to put in false leaks, and see where the info would start popping up.
Then use that to pinpoint moles.

Blogger WerePuppy June 13, 2016 12:25 PM  

I enjoyed TWBW 10, and hope to pick this one up soon.

Blogger Dave June 13, 2016 7:09 PM  

Not teotw but this bonus book and the last one by Peter Grant seem to be missing covers?

Anonymous Brick Hardslab June 14, 2016 1:50 AM  

You have no idea how happy I am with both my purchase and my bonus book. It has been a while since I have been able to read my paperbacks and I thought I would never see them again.

Being able to read in the font that I can see is like finding my favorite authors all over again.

Thank you so much. And the bonus book was as painless as could be. This is how book buying and publishing is supposed to work. I'd like to see more fantasy but your sci-fi is top notch you literally cannot get better in the field than you have now.

Blogger Matthew June 14, 2016 1:07 PM  

Dave wrote:Not teotw but this bonus book and the last one by Peter Grant seem to be missing covers?

Those books were graciously provided by the authors. They were not produced by Castalia House, so YMMV.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts