ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2016 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Mailvox: stop posturing, morons

The ironically named General Noitall has no idea how clueless he is, but that doesn't stop him from making confidently authoritative statements that are complete nonsense:
Flynn, under Trump, is set to be Sec. of Defense or, more likely, Chairman of the Join Chiefs. And as we know, Flynn "has no idea how to defeat ISIS". Yet Trump has promised to take out the IS. What's absolutely clear about Trump is that his understanding of the geopolitical nature of the world amounts to zero. His understanding of force deployment and use is zero. His experience with the military and dealing with the worlds leaders is zero. But, he does have Flynn.
We certainly know that General Noitall's experience with the military is zero. How, pray tell, is a retired lieutenant general whose background is in intelligence ever going to become Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff?

For those who don't know how it works, while the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs is appointed by the President, he is usually selected from among the chiefs of staff - the four highest-ranking generals and admirals- from one of the four armed services. One seldom becomes CJCS without first being Army Chief of Staff, USMC Commandant, Chief of Naval Operations, or Air Force Chief of Staff, and more often than not, Vice-Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff as well. These top officers almost invariably have a strong background of field commands, they don't come from intelligence or logistics.

A three-star officer such as a lieutenant general or a vice-admiral is simply not in the running, particularly one who is not even in the service anymore.

That doesn't mean Michael Flynn couldn't be named Secretary of Defense, but then, if elected, Trump could just as easily name the science fiction author Michael Flynn too. Regardless, Michael T. Flynn won't be commanding any military operations, much less all of them. He's a civilian.

Look, you're not fooling anyone when you strike knowledgeable poses concerning things you know nothing about, and make stupid pronouncements that only suffice to demonstrate your ignorance. So stop trying!

None of us know what Donald Trump is going to do when he's elected. Possibly Trump himself doesn't know. But I think we can be quite confident that he's not going to follow Michael Ledeen's idiotic lead and declare war on radical Islam, Iran, Russia, China, North Korea, Cuba, and whoever else Ledeen suspects might be in his imaginary Global Alliance of Evil.

Labels: ,

84 Comments:

Blogger Shimshon July 17, 2016 5:38 AM  

I nominate Kevin Flynn from Tron for the job. He took on the MCP and won. He can take on ISIS and win too.

Blogger Human Animal July 17, 2016 5:47 AM  

It's still early, but I think Trump's only shot at winning is seeing at least 3 or 4 more terrorist attacks in the U.S before the election.

Political Science or Satire?

Anonymous Steve July 17, 2016 5:48 AM  

Shimshon - I hope Kevin from Home Alone gets the Homeland Security job tho.

Blogger Godless Heathen July 17, 2016 6:08 AM  

I nominate Colonel Tom Kratman for CJCS.

Blogger Shimshon July 17, 2016 6:20 AM  

@3 Steve I thought Vox implied a restriction to those named Flynn. Perhaps I was wrong.

Blogger VD July 17, 2016 6:32 AM  

I thought Vox implied a restriction to those named Flynn.

Kratman is actually just a pen name. He's Boston Irish, you know. His real name is Thomas Flynn.

Blogger Dexter July 17, 2016 6:33 AM  

10 USC 152

(b)Requirement for Appointment.—
(1) The President may appoint an officer as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff only if the officer has served as—
(A)
the Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff;
(B)
the Chief of Staff of the Army, the Chief of Naval Operations, the Chief of Staff of the Air Force, or the Commandant of the Marine Corps; or
(C)
the commander of a unified or specified combatant command.
(2)
The President may waive paragraph (1) in the case of an officer if the President determines such action is necessary in the national interest.

[Trump could theoretically waive that requirement for Flynn, but Senate confirmation would be difficult.]

Blogger Stilicho July 17, 2016 6:37 AM  

While I agree that Kratman should atone for his sins, I cannot decide whether CJCS or SecDef would be a more fitting punishment.

Anonymous Lawyer Guy July 17, 2016 6:41 AM  

Schoomaker as Army Chief of Staff being the exception that proves the rule. Special Forces career, with his only large formation high level post being ADC at 1st Cav Div, he retired, and was brought back to be Chief.

Anonymous Wyrd July 17, 2016 6:42 AM  

Change Kratman's name to Carrera, and nuke Mecca.

Anonymous vfm #0202 July 17, 2016 6:49 AM  

Kratman would form a zampolit brigade of officers promoted in the last 8 years, and send it on exercises in Detroit, armed with the awesome power of political correctness. But no black rifles.

Blogger S. Thermite July 17, 2016 6:51 AM  

His real name is Thomas Flynn

Sound like a clever test to see how much the Wikipedia admins follow your blog, Mr. Beale.

Anonymous Steveo July 17, 2016 7:09 AM  

"His experience with the military and dealing with the worlds leaders is zero" - General Noitall, regarding Trump as President.

Obama.

Blogger Dexter July 17, 2016 7:10 AM  

@9, not really comparable because Schoomaker retired for the first time as a four-star before he was brought out of retirement to be Chief of Staff.

Blogger Aeoli Pera July 17, 2016 7:22 AM  

Stilicho wrote:While I agree that Kratman should atone for his sins, I cannot decide whether CJCS or SecDef would be a more fitting punishment.

1. Make Kratman the US representative to the UN.
2. Monetize the stream on YouTube.
3. ???
4. Profit.

I'll leave step 3 to your imagination :-D.

Blogger weka July 17, 2016 7:23 AM  

Nah. The true punishment for Kratman is to make him the head of the Australian Defence Force. They have green senators.

Rereading him at the moment. I do like his way of handling such very sensitive and entitled beings.

Anonymous Lawyer Guy July 17, 2016 7:25 AM  

Sorry, thought I made my point and I didn't do it right. Schoomaker not only was brought back from retirement...

His career had only one command slot in a formation above company size, and that was as an assistant division commander. That is a very odd choice for COS. It was stunning that he was allowed to convert the army from divisions to brigades, since he never ran anything in the field.

Blogger residentMoron July 17, 2016 7:34 AM  

Come on! You can't have a global alliance of evil without the United States. That's just never going to work ....

Anonymous General Notatall July 17, 2016 7:56 AM  

So Captain Kangaroo is out as is Captain Obvious, no? Captain Jack Sparrow? Captain Nemo?

Blogger Dexter July 17, 2016 7:59 AM  

Al Haig got promoted from two star to four star when all he'd commanded was a battalion.

Blogger Dexter July 17, 2016 8:02 AM  

What's absolutely clear about Trump is that his understanding of the geopolitical nature of the world amounts to zero. His understanding of force deployment and use is zero. His experience with the military and dealing with the worlds leaders is zero. But, he does have Flynn.

Exactly the same was true of Obama in 2008, but who cares because Smartest President Evah Harvard and Columbia so there.

Blogger Dave July 17, 2016 8:11 AM  

Well, Al Haig was in charge.

Anonymous Lawyer Guy July 17, 2016 8:19 AM  

Just looked up Haig because I forgot about "I am in control here" guy. He did hold a brigade commend in Vietnam.

Just finished reading West Point '41 last week, the story of the class of 1941 and their careers. Wow. A number of the new 2ndLts in June 1941 ended the war as LtCol Battalion COs. 40 of them became general officers. They supervised many of the advances in tech, in every area.

Blogger TontoBubbaGoldstein July 17, 2016 8:25 AM  

General Notatall wrote:So Captain Kangaroo is out as is Captain Obvious, no? Captain Jack Sparrow? Captain Nemo?



Captain Clarence Oveur?
Captain Roger Kramer?

Anonymous artaud July 17, 2016 8:37 AM  

Interestingly, if I recall correctly, Donald Trump and Barack Obama both wrote exactly the same number of articles for the Harvard Law Review.

Anonymous jdm July 17, 2016 8:41 AM  

It may be TL;DL for some, but anyone who thinks that Trump doesn't understand anything about foreign policy needs to see this speech - which, by the way, is unscripted.

Anonymous Craigmire July 17, 2016 9:03 AM  

Listen, Flynn is no idiot. He got right the fact that the one and only way to defeat IS is with boots on the ground: "The sad fact is that we have to put troops on the ground. ... It's certainly not a question of months — it will take years."

And he's right about the occupation too.

One needs to humiliate the entity that claims to speak for Islam and you do that by dismantling their ability to look like a state.

Blogger Robert Divinity July 17, 2016 9:05 AM  

The cucks and communists are mortified that they cannot demoralize Trump voters. Lame shit such as Noitall's military insight is popping up with regularity now, and exactly no one is persuaded.

"None of us know what Donald Trump is going to do when he's elected. Possibly Trump himself doesn't know. But I think we can be quite confident that he's not going to follow Michael Ledeen's idiotic lead..."

The latter is sufficient reason to elect Trump. Ironic that the last warmongering neocon in the race is the Democrat Clinton.

Trump has laid out wildly popular broad principles: controlled borders, suspension of failed trade deals, and an end to needless military intervention and nation-building. It's a safe assumption his presidency will be compatible with those goals.

Anonymous fred July 17, 2016 9:20 AM  

"None of us know what Donald Trump is going to do when he's elected. Possibly Trump himself doesn't know."

Trump himself not knowing what he's going to do would strike me as a sign of high intelligence. Barack Obama, Official Nobel Super Genius and Mysteriously Unpublished Constitutional Scholar, said he knew how to make oceans recede. King Canute might have had a few wry thoughts about that. What did Harold MacMillan say about the driving force of all politics? "Events, my dear boy, events."

Blogger VD July 17, 2016 9:25 AM  

Listen, Flynn is no idiot. He got right the fact that the one and only way to defeat IS is with boots on the ground: "The sad fact is that we have to put troops on the ground. ... It's certainly not a question of months — it will take years."

He is an idiot. We have no need to defeat ISIS; Russia, Syria, and Iran can do that at no cost to the USA and do so more effectively. We need to expel Islam from the West again.

Anonymous artaud July 17, 2016 9:27 AM  

"What's absolutely clear about Trump is that his understanding of the geopolitical nature of the world amounts to zero."

Wait, you're telling me he can't figure out how to say "Israel Israel Israel Israel Israel Israel Israel"? A bloody parrot is as good a master of American foreign policy.

MAO ZEDONG (to Nixon): "Six Crises" wasn't a bad book.

Blogger James Dixon July 17, 2016 9:31 AM  

> We have no need to defeat ISIS; Russia, Syria, and Iran can do that at no cost to the USA and do so more effectively. We need to expel Islam from the West again.

Even if they don't, once we've expelled the Muslims from the US it's not a concern of ours. We don't need their oil anymore.

Anonymous bgkb July 17, 2016 9:38 AM  

His experience with the military and dealing with the worlds leaders is zero

General please rate the gay secretary of the army

Anonymous Craigmire July 17, 2016 9:43 AM  

"He is an idiot. We have no need to defeat ISIS; Russia, Syria, and Iran can do that at no cost to the USA and do so more effectively. We need to expel Islam from the West again."

Why isn't Russia Doing it? Or Syria? Or Iran?

Of course he's not an idiot. And even under your scenario of Russia teaming with Syria and Iran to push IS out of the theater, it will have to be done exactly as Flynn says, with boots on the ground and with an occupation.

As for cleansing the West of muslims, good luck with that. Whether or not it should happen, it won't happen. At best, immigration will be stopped.

Blogger Dexter July 17, 2016 9:51 AM  

Listen, Flynn is no idiot. He got right the fact that the one and only way to defeat IS is with boots on the ground: "The sad fact is that we have to put troops on the ground. ... It's certainly not a question of months — it will take years."

Remember when we put boots on the ground for years in Afghanistan and defeated the Taliban? Remember when we put boots on the ground for years in Vietnam and defeated the Viet Cong? The ground war against ISIS will be just like that. Let's take our gloves off, spit on our hands, and get to work.

Blogger Dexter July 17, 2016 9:54 AM  

The "boots on the ground" thing might work if you put Kratman in charge and bring an ample supply of crosses, hammers, and nails. Otherwise forget it.

Blogger Dexter July 17, 2016 9:55 AM  

The best way to defeat wasps or fire ants is to stick your hand in their nest and squash them one by one with your fingers. Then you provide food, medicine, and education to the surviving insects so they can enjoy freedom and prosperity.

Blogger James Dixon July 17, 2016 10:00 AM  

> As for cleansing the West of muslims, good luck with that. Whether or not it should happen, it won't happen.

Really? How many San Jose's and Orlando's do you think the American people will put up with? The pattern is pretty much fully formed, and everyone can see it.

But in absolute terms? No, it won't. Even if you could, you will always have people like Cassius Clay and Lew Alcindor who convert. But we don't need to remove them all. We can get close enough for all practical purposes.

You forgot Korea, Dexter.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan July 17, 2016 10:05 AM  

Cerno is on to something ISIS is in part at least a brand for Islamic losers, and if that appeals to even 0.01% and that 0.01% believe in that martyrdom for sins bit it will be a Nice or Orlando per month all the while the crazy insane Leftists scream "they come in peace."

Think of the musloid Gamma and Omega recruiting pool they now have in the West, that have no hope in the "Liberal" feminized state outside of violence as intimidation. No wonder the losers of life within the liberal State the BLM love them some Islam, allah himself blesses their violence.

Anyway if Russia and others squash the ISIS statelet I assume it will just infect the West with another dose islamists for liberation from the liberal State where the 0.01% have outbursts of Sudden Jihad Syndrome and our insane leaders patronize them at our expense.

I also guess this is Russia's plan, infect the insane West with more crazies as to relieve the pressure the West puts on Russia.

Anonymous fred July 17, 2016 10:06 AM  

The only way to defeat IS is to say, "Sorry, Muslim refugees, but please go back to your stinking shit-holes. Or, y'know, alternatively, there's really plenty of refuge in places like Kuwait and Tanzania. And then send all the delta arseholes holding the "Welcome Refugees, Please Rape Our Women" signs along with them.

Boots on the ground? I assume he means THEIR boots, on somebody else's ground. Now there's a solution.

Blogger Dexter July 17, 2016 10:12 AM  

"You forgot Korea, Dexter."

Forgot what about it?

Blogger Josh July 17, 2016 10:13 AM  


None of us know what Donald Trump is going to do when he's elected. Possibly Trump himself doesn't know. But I think we can be quite confident that he's not going to follow Michael Ledeen's idiotic lead and declare war on radical Islam, Iran, Russia, China, North Korea, Cuba, and whoever else Ledeen suspects might be in his imaginary Global Alliance of Evil.


I could see Trump sending in ground troops against ISIS, but I doubt he would commit to a lengthy occupation. I doubt he would go to war against any of the other countries on that list.

Anonymous Craigmire July 17, 2016 10:22 AM  

"I could see Trump sending in ground troops against ISIS, but I doubt he would commit to a lengthy occupation"

If he (or anyone else) doesn't, the disease will simply return.

Blogger VD July 17, 2016 10:25 AM  

Why isn't Russia Doing it? Or Syria? Or Iran?

Because the US is preventing them from doing so. The US helped create ISIS and does not want it destroyed.

Of course he's not an idiot

He wrote a book with Ledeen. He is obviously an idiot.


As for cleansing the West of muslims, good luck with that. Whether or not it should happen, it won't happen. At best, immigration will be stopped.


It happened before. It will happen again.

Blogger Josh July 17, 2016 10:31 AM  

If he (or anyone else) doesn't, the disease will simply return.

History says you're wrong. How long have we had troops on the ground in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Blogger Robert Divinity July 17, 2016 10:34 AM  

If he (or anyone else) doesn't, the disease will simply return.

The disease is Islam. ISIS simply practices classical Islam. All we can do is contain Islam. The "we have to fight them over there so we don't have to fight them here" meme is utter bullshit.

We need to suspend all Muslim immigration and expel as many as possible. I do agree with Flynn's suggestion of anti-Islamism propaganda. Even if magical American intervention erases ISIS from the Earth, another form will appear. As a reminder, al-Qaeda was the primary concern only a few years ago.

Trump has announced we are out of the nation-building business. If you want to continue the nation-building business vote for Clinton.

Anonymous Craigmire July 17, 2016 10:49 AM  

"The disease is Islam. ISIS simply practices classical Islam..."

Perhaps, but then the vast majority of muslims in the West would be practicing reform Islam as the vast majority have nothing to do with attacks on West. If they did, the West would already be crippled by the constant attacks.

Anonymous Migrant Welcome Committee July 17, 2016 10:52 AM  

@40 And then send all the delta arseholes holding the "Welcome Refugees, Please Rape Our Women" signs along with them.

The majority of people holding those "Welcome Refugees, Please Rape Our Women" signs have been women themselves. Of the men, I'd suspect the largest contingent are Gammas, who unlike well-meaning Deltas, actually want the women to be raped, along with lots of other destruction - and all to stick it to the kids who teased them growing up.

Women and Gammas both usually lack in-group loyalty. Without strong hands in charge, they'll bring down any civilization.

Anonymous andon July 17, 2016 11:05 AM  

34. Anonymous Craigmire July 17, 2016 9:43 AM

.....As for cleansing the West of muslims, good luck with that. Whether or not it should happen, it won't happen. At best, immigration will be stopped.


another Nostradamus

Blogger Robert Divinity July 17, 2016 11:05 AM  

Perhaps, but then the vast majority of muslims in the West would be practicing reform Islam as the vast majority have nothing to do with attacks on West. If they did, the West would already be crippled by the constant attacks.

More and more second and third generation Muslims conduct the Western attacks. Why do you suppose that is? The question answers itself. They have reverted to form.

Anonymous Craigmire is an Idiot July 17, 2016 11:09 AM  

As for cleansing the West of muslims, good luck with that. Whether or not it should happen, it won't happen. At best, immigration will be stopped.

Anyone who thinks the forced removal of unwanted population is impossible is an idiot. It has been done hundreds, likely thousands of times. Even the most basic reading of history shows how often and how thoroughly it can be been done.

Craigmire claims removing muslims is impossible, either because he doesn't even a minimal clue what he's talking about, or because it doesn't occur to him that people can fact-check what he says. Therefore, Craigmire's an idiot.

As is Flynn.

Blogger James Dixon July 17, 2016 11:10 AM  

> Forgot what about it?

In your list of "boots on the ground" successes.

> ...but then the vast majority of muslims in the West would be practicing reform Islam as the vast majority have nothing to do with attacks on West.

I'm not sure I consider something in the range of 75-80% a "vast majority". That's normally reserved for well over 90%. And when you factor in the fact that people routinely lie, well...

From http://www.centerforsecuritypolicy.org/2015/06/23/nationwide-poll-of-us-muslims-shows-thousands-support-shariah-jihad/

Even more troubling, is the fact that nearly a quarter of the Muslims polled believed that, “It is legitimate to use violence to punish those who give offense to Islam by, for example, portraying the prophet Mohammed.” ... Nearly one-fifth of Muslim respondents said that the use of violence in the United States is justified in order to make shariah the law of the land in this country.

Blogger Robert Divinity July 17, 2016 11:13 AM  

reform Islam

ISIS and al-Qaeda before them, and the groups certain to follow, are reform Islam. They are restoring the faith. Who do you think has the upper hand among the Western Muslims now? Also, if you don't think the West already has been crippled, do recall our cocks routinely get grabbed when we board planes. There is a reason for that.

Anonymous BigGayKoranBurner July 17, 2016 11:43 AM  

Gen Tinypeener- Trump's only shot at winning is seeing at least 3 or 4 more terrorist attacks in the U.S before the election

Lets just hope a religion of peace lorry driver takes out HilLIARy, Warren, Hairy Reed, Ginsburg, the jewish dyke DNC head, Biden & Bern in hell.

As for cleansing the West of muslims, good luck with that. Whether or not it should happen, it won't happen

When people start open carrying while wearing a T Shirt of Mohamad's face up against the backside of a pig, moslems wont last much longer.

The "boots on the ground" thing might work if you put Kratman in charge and bring an ample supply of crosses, hammers, and nails

All you need is pikes a la Vlad Tepes.

Also, if you don't think the West already has been crippled, do recall our cocks routinely get grabbed when we board planes.

It was better when the flight attendants did it.

OT the clevland police have been told they can't have shields when 8,000 niggers get bussed in to attack them.
http://www.dangerandplay.com/2016/07/14/exclusive-cleveland-police-have-issued-stand-down-order-at-rnc/
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-police-cleveland-idUSKCN0ZS2VD

Anonymous BGKB July 17, 2016 11:58 AM  

and if you think it will be done then you simply don't understand the demographics, politics or culture of the West

TRUMP's new hour long reality show: "Can you garrote more moslems than a faggot", contestants must compete against El Guapo Faggoto who garrotes moslems with a rainbow feather boa(with paracord strands in the core) while wearing a luchador mask.

Anonymous Jack Amok July 17, 2016 12:19 PM  

and if you think it will be done then you simply don't understand the demographics, politics or culture of the West.

Well, since I "simply don't understand," then tell me something, genius. Are the demographics, politics and culture of the West the same today as they were, say, 100 years ago?

Blogger VD July 17, 2016 12:20 PM  

It's not that it can't be done. Doing it is a logistics issue. It's that it simply won't be done...and if you think it will be done then you simply don't understand the demographics, politics or culture of the West.

It will be done because of the demographics, in spite of the politics, due to the culture of the West.

You are either a defeatist or a collaborator. In either case, we have no use for you. Go away now.

Anonymous Jack Amok July 17, 2016 12:30 PM  

You are either a defeatist or a collaborator. In either case, we have no use for you. Go away now.

DQs. Defeatists and Quislings.

Anonymous andon July 17, 2016 12:53 PM  

55. Anonymous Craigmire July 17, 2016 11:43 AM
"
Anyone who thinks the forced removal of unwanted population is impossible is an idiot. It has been done hundreds, likely thousands of times. Even the most basic reading of history shows how often and how thoroughly it can be been done."

It's not that it can't be done. Doing it is a logistics issue. It's that it simply won't be done...and if you think it will be done then you simply don't understand the demographics, politics or culture of the West. And of course there is even less than "won't" chance it will happen in the U.S. The best that can be hoped for on either continent is strict immigration regulation.


sure you can. just gradually tighten down on welfare, then jobs, then housing, then the crimes they commit, and sooner or later they will have to starve or leave on their own.

Anonymous MendoScot July 17, 2016 12:57 PM  

...they don't come from intelligence or logistics.

So Boston Police Inspector Francis Xavier Flynn is also out of the running?

Shame.

Blogger Sean Carnegie July 17, 2016 1:02 PM  

Deport/remove a couple million Muslims: "That's impossible because of culture/demographics/whatever! You can't do that!!"
Cleanse the US of 200-300 million rifles, pistols, etc.:"Oh, we can and will do that and everybody will go along regardless of the 2A because of the chillrens!!"

Blogger Were-Puppy July 17, 2016 1:03 PM  

OT: Ghostbusters opening to empty theatres
http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/07/17/ghostbusters-opens-empty-theatres/

Anonymous Jack Amok July 17, 2016 1:22 PM  

And here we see the problem with linear thinking midwits. He's clever enough to point out how things in the past shaped the present culture, but too stupid to understand events in the present will shape the future culture.

Blogger Texian July 17, 2016 2:05 PM  

On a recent post where noitall commented and t which Vox responded… Ledeen makes some useful observations, sometimes, and is also frequently wrong in my opinion. I think he is basically right about the people of Iran, the Farsi. However, this is identical to the situation in Turkey, exemplified yesterday. The majority of Turks are not supportive of Erdogan (some estimates as 4 out of 5) but not one of the opponents is willing to lay down their life for the cause, and Turkish Sunni/Wahabbi Islamists are willing to risk their life to win, in great numbers. I will bet dollars to doughnut holes that the same ratio obtains in Iran, 4 out of 5 Iranians opposes the Mullahs. But this is irrelevant, because they are not willing to risk their lives for their cause.
There is, however, I have an observation that I believe has strategic relevance, and that is the information in this summary on the frequency and location of Muslim attacks by sect and by region…
Sunni Terror Attacks are carried out everywhere in the world, In the middle east and in all the seven continents, against everyone, including other Sunnis and in particular, Shiite Muslim, and all infidels.
Shia terror attacks are carried out in their homeland against any invader, cf USMC barracks in Beirut in ’83, countless attacks against Israel, and I am having a hard time thinking of Shia terrorism of any Shiite terror anywhere else…
This does NOT mean that Iran is not dangerous, on the contrary. But the danger they pose is different and requires different strategic response.

Blogger Dexter July 17, 2016 2:24 PM  

Shia terror attacks are carried out in their homeland against any invader, cf USMC barracks in Beirut in ’83, countless attacks against Israel, and I am having a hard time thinking of Shia terrorism of any Shiite terror anywhere else…

Iranians were behind a lot of attacks on US forces in Iraq and Afghanistan, but you could think of that as "defending their homeland" against a potential invader.

Blogger Ingot9455 July 17, 2016 2:42 PM  

@30 All we have to do to 'stop ISIS' is stop arming 'moderate Syrian rebel groups.'

Blogger Tom Kratman July 17, 2016 4:14 PM  

There's one apparent exception to that either VJCS or COS/CNO/Commandant rule, which is Shelton. The exception however, is more apparent than real; Shelton was head of SOCOM, which is, though no one will officially admit it, the fifth uniformed, armed service that never worked for Trans or Homeland Security.

The president can call someone back from retirement for a high ranking position. I can think of two modern instances. One was at West Point, where Andrew Goodpaster, who'd retired as a four star in 74 returned to take over as Superintendent as a three star, in 77. The other was Shoomaker, who retired from SOCOM in 2000 and came back in as CSA in 2003. Again, note that SOCOM is the fifth uniformed armed service.

Could a President Trump nominate Flynn to come back from retirement as a four star and become CJCS? That's three different questions. The first one is can he be called back. Yes, clearly. All retirees can be called back. Anyone who _ever_ held a regular commission can be called back until, IIRC, age 72. Having been called back can he have Flynn made a four star? Yes. That being done or in the offing, could he nominate Flynn for CJCS and have that approved? Maybe, senate make up depending, but why would he want to? Whoever he puts in needs to be, all four, the greatest bureaucratic infighter since Rumsfeld, that having been Rummie's only real talent, the greatest purgemeister since Stalin, the most ruthless bastard since Caesar, and smarter than all the other very smart moral cowards who've been ruining our defense or allowing it to be ruined for decades. Those qualifications probably leave Flynn out.

Blogger Tom Kratman July 17, 2016 4:15 PM  

There's one apparent exception to that either VJCS or COS/CNO/Commandant rule, which is Shelton. The exception however, is more apparent than real; Shelton was head of SOCOM, which is, though no one will officially admit it, the fifth uniformed, armed service that never worked for Trans or Homeland Security.

The president can call someone back from retirement for a high ranking position. I can think of two modern instances. One was at West Point, where Andrew Goodpaster, who'd retired as a four star in 74 returned to take over as Superintendent as a three star, in 77. The other was Shoomaker, who retired from SOCOM in 2000 and came back in as CSA in 2003. Again, note that SOCOM is the fifth uniformed armed service.

Could a President Trump nominate Flynn to come back from retirement as a four star and become CJCS? That's three different questions. The first one is can he be called back. Yes, clearly. All retirees can be called back. Anyone who _ever_ held a regular commission can be called back until, IIRC, age 72. Having been called back can he have Flynn made a four star? Yes. That being done or in the offing, could he nominate Flynn for CJCS and have that approved? Maybe, senate make up depending, but why would he want to? Whoever he puts in needs to be, all four, the greatest bureaucratic infighter since Rumsfeld, that having been Rummie's only real talent, the greatest purgemeister since Stalin, the most ruthless bastard since Caesar, and smarter than all the other very smart moral cowards who've been ruining our defense or allowing it to be ruined for decades. Those qualifications probably leave Flynn out.

Blogger clk July 17, 2016 5:06 PM  

Can i get some action on trump nominating Christy for attorney general... seems good odds..

Blogger Snidely Whiplash July 17, 2016 5:09 PM  

I wouldn't take that bet. Christie is the obvious choice, if he wants it.

Anonymous Morrigan July 17, 2016 5:41 PM  

Defense sec Jim Webb?

Anonymous patrick kelly July 17, 2016 6:07 PM  

"We have no need to defeat ISIS; Russia, Syria, and Iran can do that at no cost to the USA and do so more effectively."

This 1000x

Blogger Snidely Whiplash July 17, 2016 6:14 PM  

Russia has already volunteered. Problem is, their price is Assad stays in charge in Syria.

Somehow, that price is unacceptable to us. Why? Well, I've heard about oil and gas pipelines from Saudi to Germany, and how Assad won't let them go through Syria. Don't know if it's true, but it makes sense.
Israel may be our best friend in the middle-East, but the Sauds are our masters.

Anonymous Quartermaster July 17, 2016 6:55 PM  

@71
Jim Webb is a leper. For two reasons. First, how he acted as Sec Navy under Reagan (he took a dive very quickly), and the fact he ran for the Senate as a Dim and then only stayed one term. It's rather strange how he has been a moral poltroon given his combat background.

Blogger Tom Kratman July 17, 2016 9:20 PM  

"It was stunning that he was allowed to convert the army from divisions to brigades, since he never ran anything in the field."

God knows; I'm still fucking stunned by it. Pentomic v 2.0

Anonymous Discard July 17, 2016 9:37 PM  

Craigmire: Even if no Moslem ever committed a terrorist attack in America, we ought deport them all. They are a low trust people with a vibrant in-group morality. Have Gypsies ever set off bombs in America? No, but they are a drag on our society anyway. We have enough trouble with the Sons of Slavery without importing more Diversity.

Anonymous Discard July 17, 2016 9:56 PM  

Tom Kratman: Retired Army Chief of Staff Douglas MacArthur was recalled to active duty six years later, IIRC.

Blogger Tom Kratman July 17, 2016 11:04 PM  

True, although he was not that modern and his becoming Field Marshal of the Philippine Army, which meant at least de facto command over US troops, wasn't exactly retirement.

Anonymous BGKB July 17, 2016 11:15 PM  

"We have no need to defeat ISIS; Russia, Syria, and Iran can do that at no cost to the USA and do so more effectively."

Maybe if we trick HilLIARy into giving them dud rounds.

Russia has already volunteered. Problem is, their price is Assad stays in charge in Syria.

I hear Assad is good at killing moslems, he should probably stay.

Anonymous Discard July 18, 2016 12:56 AM  

Tom Kratman: My cutoff for "modern" is, Do I remember him/it? I recall all the headlines back then said he "…Faded Away", a quote from his farewell address to West Point.

In a pinch, my guess is that a President can appoint anybody to any office if Congress will go along. Time to review your resume, Colonel.

Blogger Tom Kratman July 18, 2016 1:13 AM  

No point to it, Dis; DoD is not fixable by anything we're willing to do.

Anonymous SciVo July 18, 2016 5:57 AM  

Speaking of clueless, I have no idea what to expect from the Republican convention, aside from violent anti-American riotesters and passive police.

Recent events have changed the expectations of patriots, which will change both their plans and their instincts in somewhat predictable ways. However, I can't see past that to how the riotesters and police will react to the new behavior set.

Then there's the reaction to the reaction, the reaction to that, and so on. I'm normally not shy about making predictions, but my mental models are not up to the task of picturing the back-and-forth dynamic to its conclusion.

Anyone?

Anonymous Luke July 18, 2016 5:32 PM  

Kratman for Chairman of the Joint Chiefs? Nah. Better Col Lind. I expect the result would be as positive as NBA Forest in command at Henry/Donelson & Shiloh, and everything west of Atlanta for the rest of the War of Northern Aggression would have been.

Anonymous Discard July 19, 2016 2:08 AM  

National Basketball Association Forrest? I knew he used to buy and sell a lot of Darkies, but I hadn't known they were all so tall.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts