ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2016 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

A point, missed

Kameron Hurley consoles herself:
If you are having a bad day, remember:
Ursula Le Guin has never written a bestselling book.
You're welcome.
And they wonder why their SJW-infested work doesn't sell very well when even their totemic inspiration didn't.

The concept that their carefully-crafted political lectures are tedious in the extreme and will be avoided by most readers appears to be beyond their ability to understand. No wonder SJWs are increasingly gravitating towards children's entertainment, as kids better tolerate being preached at and are much more amenable to swallowing even the most stupid ideas.

Labels:

91 Comments:

Anonymous WinstonWebb August 02, 2016 3:04 PM  

...SJWs are increasingly gravitating towards children's entertainment, as kids better tolerate being preached at and are much more amenable to swallowing even the most stupid ideas.

Substitute "conservatives" for "children" and "kids". That explains a lot about the culture war prior to the rise of the alt-right.

Blogger Verne August 02, 2016 3:08 PM  

Ursula Le Guin, her books sold rather well inside the si/fi ghetto. I liked her writing at the time. It was different and she was one hell of a lot better than the modern crop of writers who claim to be so inspired by here. Now about all we see are weak minded efforts at copying Ursula Le Guin

Blogger Alexander August 02, 2016 3:21 PM  

Isn't this the sort of hatefact the warren is supposed to clamp down upon? Aren't we all supposed to believe she has, in fact, written such best-selling masterpieces?

Anonymous FisherOfMen August 02, 2016 3:35 PM  

The problem for SJWs writing for kids is it's hard to make the ideas stick as their brains approach full weight. We're gonna need to lower the voting age.

Anonymous Feh August 02, 2016 3:38 PM  

Why don't more men want to buy books by cat ladies that explain why white men are evil rapists who should be ashamed?

Anonymous kfg August 02, 2016 3:38 PM  

" . . . their SJW-infested work doesn't sell very well . . ."

Once you have read The Left Hand of Darkness and The Dispossessed you have read the best it has to offer and all of it you ever need to read.

Blogger swiftfoxmark2 August 02, 2016 3:41 PM  

If you wanted to read about fluid sexuality, anarchism, and fluid sex roles, then Le Guin is probably better than 99% of the modern garbage today.

Blogger frigger611 August 02, 2016 3:42 PM  

And it will shock you all to know that "The National Endowment for The Humanities" will direct $600,000 toward a propaganda piece, uh-hem, a, "movie" that will chronicle the life and work of this most gifted author.

All her fans had to do was raise some funds of their own, then the rest of the country (The Federal Government) donated the pots of gold:

The Kickstarter ended a few moments ago, having surpassed both our initial $80,000 goal and our second goal of $200,000, the final amount we needed to release our NEH funding and finish the film.

Defund these loonies.

Blogger tublecane August 02, 2016 3:52 PM  

"Ursula Le Guin has never written a bestselling book"

"Bestseller" is jargon that I've never had defined for me. I could easily believe none of her books qualified. Nevertheless, that quote is misleading. Her books have sold in the millions. I don't see why that would give your average SJW writer comfort.

Blogger Worlds Edge August 02, 2016 4:00 PM  

How could The Lathe of Heaven have not sold well? It was made into a TV movie twice. And surely if YA bestseller lists had existed in the 1970s the Earthsea books would have been on them.

Blogger Cataline Sergius August 02, 2016 4:04 PM  

No wonder SJWs are increasingly gravitating towards children's entertainment, as kids better tolerate being preached at and are much more amenable to swallowing even the most stupid ideas.

Well, that and children are more likely to have books purchased for them. Or have a parent will give them money to buy a book for themselves (this passes for good parenting these days).

This one is not widely known. Harry Potter and the Philospher's Stone was doing nothing but mid-list business in the UK and USA until it went nuclear on Scholastic Reading catalog.

Mostly due to some unsung American marketing genius who turned J.K. Rowling into a billionaire by changing one fucking word in the title.

Blogger John Wright August 02, 2016 4:07 PM  

The irony here is that Ursula K LeGuin's earlier and readable works, A WIZARD OF EARTHSEA or LEFT HAND OF DARKNESS, date from before her 'convergence' into an SJW.

Her post-conversion works, TEHANNU and 'The Matter of Seggri' are unreadable trash, lacking the basic mechanics of story telling, as characters, plot, theme, and so all. All such furniture was thrown overboard to make room for political correctness. ALWAYS COMING HOME is about where the brain worms got her: only her work from before this point are worth reading. So 1984 is about the cutoff point for this author.

Anonymous Discard August 02, 2016 4:09 PM  

The Reds have long been working at corrupting the young. I recall hearing an old harridan who called herself "Uncle Ruthie" on the leftist radio stations. Child abuse is an industry with these people.

Blogger Cataline Sergius August 02, 2016 4:10 PM  

@10 Worlds Edge

How could The Lathe of Heaven have not sold well?

There is a difference between selling well and being a "best seller". It's all about sales volume

If you sell 50,000 copies of a book in the course of a year, you will never make the best seller lists.

But if you sell 15,000 in the first week and never sell another copy you will have still have a "best seller".

Just ask John Scalzi how that works.

Anonymous Longtime Lurker August 02, 2016 4:25 PM  

Kameron Hurley's blog informs us that "Kameron Hurley is an intellectual badass."

Crimony. Another legend in her own mind.

Blogger Pseudotsuga August 02, 2016 4:30 PM  

But what they want is the *importance* of LeGuin, without the STORY or the substance which contained that important messaging.

Cataline Sergius wrote:
This one is not widely known. Harry Potter and the Philospher's Stone was doing nothing but mid-list business in the UK and USA until it went nuclear on Scholastic Reading catalog.
Mostly due to some unsung American marketing genius who turned J.K. Rowling into a billionaire by changing one fucking word in the title.


Cataline, changing "Philosopher" to "Sorcerer" only occurred in the American market. The other English speaking country retained the British title and text.
There were a LOT of textual bowdlerizations in that first book because some wussy American marketing people were afraid that American schoolkids (the lowest common denominators) would curl into crying balls when confronted with the "foreign vocabulary" of lorry, torch, jumper, lift, and so on.
[There is one later textual emendation that makes sense for the US market, though-- it's when the Weasley brothers tell Harry to keep his pecker up (which is a British idiom for a stiff upper lip).]
But anyway, to keep the train on the tracks, I don't think you can attribute the success of the books just to that one title change because it took the first three books before the series started REALLY getting popular.
I really can't say what made them so successful, other than lightning in a bottle. So many other writers have jumped onto the trend that its become painful.
And this brings us back to LeGuin: too many authors want to identify with her literary messaging, because they are told that that is the important thing. Which leads us to Sad/Rabid Puppies and so on.

Blogger Snidely Whiplash August 02, 2016 4:30 PM  

"Bestseller" is a measure of velocity, not distance.

They should also keep in mind that Larry Correia is a bestseller.

Blogger Pseudotsuga August 02, 2016 4:33 PM  

Cataline Sergius wrote:@10
There is a difference between selling well and being a "best seller". It's all about sales volume
If you sell 50,000 copies of a book in the course of a year, you will never make the best seller lists.
But if you sell 15,000 in the first week and never sell another copy you will have still have a "best seller".
Just ask John Scalzi how that works.


Yes, that's just what I was thinking. Then you need to look at Correia, who just bought Yard Moose Mountain II to get away from the "neighbors."
He may not be a "best seller," but given the choice between a good seller (which means a steady income) and a best seller (which means a cover blurb and a pat on the back from the right people), I'd choose the first.

Blogger Titus Quinctius Cincinnatus August 02, 2016 4:42 PM  

The reason Ursula LeGuin has never written a bestselling book is because her books are garbage.

Blogger Titus Quinctius Cincinnatus August 02, 2016 4:44 PM  

Kameron Hurley's blog informs us that "Kameron Hurley is an intellectual badass."

If you have to actually *tell* people that, then it most likely is not true.

Blogger tz August 02, 2016 4:45 PM  

Half OT, but I really wish someone would ask Ted Cruz, Glenn Beck, and Matt Walsh and the rest of the #NeverTrump people if they endorse Nehlen or Ryan in the Wisconsin Primary (a week hence).
I know they hate Trump, but do they now love Ryan?

Blogger YIH August 02, 2016 4:46 PM  

And they wonder why their SJW-infested work doesn't sell very well when even their totemic inspiration didn't.
As an aside, after three weeks, the jury have returned it's verdict.
It recommended the Death Penalty for Ghostbusters.
It's officially a flop.

Blogger Unknown August 02, 2016 4:48 PM  

Larry Correia is notable in the only way that really matters: Getting paid to consistently write books people want to read. This is the metric that seems to drive Baen, not nepotistic awards and fawning self-congratulatory blog posts by good-fans.
If David Weber did not publish his Safehold series with Tor, I would never buy a SF book from anyone _but_ Baen, and this would stretch back _years_.

Blogger Escoffier August 02, 2016 4:57 PM  

John Wright wrote:The irony here is that Ursula K LeGuin's earlier and readable works, A WIZARD OF EARTHSEA or LEFT HAND OF DARKNESS, date from before her 'convergence' into an SJW.

Her post-conversion works, TEHANNU and 'The Matter of Seggri' are unreadable trash, lacking the basic mechanics of story telling, as characters, plot, theme, and so all. All such furniture was thrown overboard to make room for political correctness. ALWAYS COMING HOME is about where the brain worms got her: only her work from before this point are worth reading. So 1984 is about the cutoff point for this author.


1984 you say John? Why that's nearly poetical somehow.

Blogger pyrrhus August 02, 2016 5:02 PM  

A Wizard of Earthsea, marketed as YA fiction, is pretty lyrical, and I still enjoy it. After that....

Blogger pyrrhus August 02, 2016 5:04 PM  

@20 Exactly. I lay 3-1 that Kameron is neither an intellectual nor a badass

Blogger Cataline Sergius August 02, 2016 5:05 PM  

Cataline, changing "Philosopher" to "Sorcerer" only occurred in the American market. The other English speaking country retained the British title and text.

I know. But it was in the American market that Harry Potter took off into the stratosphere. The Brit kids weren't that impressed with it when it first came out.

It was just standard Toff School fiction, with Terry Pratchett inspired trimmings.

All of the standard characters of the genre were there. The Orphan, The Poor Boy, The Swot, the School Bully, the Mean Teacher and the Kindly Headmaster. Nothing new at all for them.

And as an American I can assure you that American children would have been instantly repelled by any book with the word "Philosopher" in the title.

Blogger SteelPalm August 02, 2016 5:14 PM  

"The Left Hand of Darkness" was lousy. Nice world-building, but horribly boring, plodding, nonsensical, and anti-climactic with a pitiful lack of understanding of science.

(In fact, LeGuin knows less about science than any famous science fiction author I have come across)

However, "The Lathe of Heaven" was a fantastic premise that should have made for an absolutely great book. Thanks to a disappointing ending, it was merely good, but it nevertheless demonstrated that LeGuin had a degree of talent, which is more than what one can say for modern SJW writers.

Honestly, I find it pathetic that LeGuin is so celebrated when genius masters like Stainslaw Lem, Harry Harrison, and possibly the greatest sci-fi writer ever, Robert Sheckley, are largely unknown nowadays.

Hell, give me Clifford Simak over LeGuin.

Anonymous A.B. Prosper August 02, 2016 5:15 PM  


I liked The Wizard Earthsea quite a bit

Always Coming Home wasn't awesome but it was kind of an exploratory fiction of alternate social ideas I sometimes enjoy . As I remember it was sort of analogous to Mercedes Lackey crossed with Coerte Felske or Candace Bushnell minus all the sex , in depth details on an alien culture in this case a fantasy one as vs. the rabbits Felske and Bushnell write about

I strongly doubt I could stomach it these days though, no doubt it stinks of social justice.



Blogger borderwalker August 02, 2016 5:37 PM  

Semi-OT: I've heard Hurley's work criticized for its ahistoricity and lack of rigor, but never seen a good analysis of it in one place.

Could the Ilk recommend one?

Blogger John Wright August 02, 2016 6:04 PM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger John Wright August 02, 2016 6:04 PM  

@29
"Always Coming Home wasn't awesome but it was kind of an exploratory fiction of alternate social ideas I sometimes enjoy"

Your mileage may vary. ALWAYS COMING HOME was, if memory serves, the first science fiction book I read in my youth that I picked up and did not finish. In those days, I was a stubborn finisher, and it was a point of pride to continue even with the bad book to the last page.

The problem was that, for me, at my age, at that time, those ideas were old and tired.

She had already explored a socialist anarchy in THE DISPOSSESSED, and I had read Utopian satires by other authors, so I thought, at first, HOME was a satire, not that someone thought that a nonwarlike low-tech eco-utopia society was possible or desirable.

Blogger Tim_W_Burke August 02, 2016 6:06 PM  

My small understanding of the market is that the artful MFA philospher types and SJWs chase a paying market. The paying readership moved to the still action and plot-driven YA at year 1 AP ("After Potter"). The market exploded which drew more writers, some bad, with Iowa Writer School MFAs wanting to try their hand at New Yorker style fic for 5th graders. Marketing would appeal to young idealistic rebel types, et voila, another market is being ruined.

Blogger Nick Roberts August 02, 2016 6:11 PM  

If I had to put the Puppies' (both the scottish and Egyptian rites) greatest gift to sci-fi in a nutshell, I'd say it's legitimizing my wish to never waste another heartbeat on The Dispossessed ever again. Wof. Woof.

Blogger Nick Roberts August 02, 2016 6:12 PM  

Woof. Woof.

Anonymous Steve August 02, 2016 6:19 PM  

Kameron Hurley consoles herself

Herself? Are you sure about that Vox?

Hairy Hurley has more designer stubble than an 80's pop star.

Blogger doug whiddon August 02, 2016 6:19 PM  

I liked "a wizard of Earthsea", but have never managed to finish anything else she wrote.

Anonymous 5343 August 02, 2016 6:27 PM  

Steve wrote:Kameron Hurley consoles herself

Herself? Are you sure about that Vox?

Hairy Hurley has more designer stubble than an 80's pop star.


Good point, Steve, but WHY DID I LOOK????

Anonymous kfg August 02, 2016 6:29 PM  

@36:

Featured this week on Life With the Russian Women's Weightlifting Team.

Blogger The Kurgan August 02, 2016 6:31 PM  

VD,
And your last paragraph is precisely why we need to purchase large tracts of land and lots of shovels.

Anonymous Steve August 02, 2016 6:32 PM  

5343 - Because I love you. Because I want to set you free.

Kfg - I doubt Hairy Hurley's ever lifted anything heavier than a bucket of fried chicken.

Blogger The Kurgan August 02, 2016 6:34 PM  

Steve,
For the love of God man! I know the Pope has gone feral on us, but there is no need for that sort of unleashing of vileness on other human beings! You're still a Catholic man!!

Anonymous 5343 August 02, 2016 6:48 PM  

Steve wrote:5343 - Because I love you. Because I want to set you free.

You liberated my lunch, mate.

Blogger EscapeVelocity August 02, 2016 6:49 PM  

Indoctrinating children is a primary goal of Cultural Marxists. So it makes sense that they focus on children's books.

Anonymous kfg August 02, 2016 6:49 PM  

Steve- And if word gets out that there's that much free T in KFC, GNC is going to curl up and die.

Blogger James Dixon August 02, 2016 6:50 PM  

LeGuin's collected short stories tend to be very good; particularly The Compass Rose, Orsinian Tales, and The Wind's Twelve Quarters, all of which I have. I agree that Always Coming Home was nigh unreadable and marked the turning point.

Blogger EscapeVelocity August 02, 2016 6:53 PM  

The Wizard of Earthsea is the only book Ive read by Leguin.

Anonymous A Paradigm Is More Than Twenty Cents August 02, 2016 6:55 PM  

Someone needs to write an alt-right version of Dispossessed. Call it, eh, The Disinherited.

Make it clear the wall keeps people in, not people out.

Anonymous Ellipsis Lacuna August 02, 2016 7:18 PM  

Harry Potter fans outraged that Rowling's new "book" is in fact just a freaking' script. Schadenfreude for another arch-SJW? Unfortunately it's not gonna hurt her bottom line much.


'Rowling, you owe your fans a BOOK!': Harry Potter fans outraged that Cursed Child script is, in fact, a script

When publishing company, Little, Brown, announced that they would be publishing the script of JK Rowling's eighth story, Harry Potter fans got very excited indeed.

So excited, in fact, that the author had to clarify on Twitter that this would be merely the script of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, rather than a new novel written by her.

In fact, the script wasn't strictly written by her. She and the play's director John Tiffany collaborated with playwright Jack Thorne, and he was the one who brought her story to the stage. All of this information is written on the book's cover, which states: "Based on an original new story by JK Rowling, John Tiffany and Jack Thorne. A new play by Jack Thorne".

That didn't stop a number of fans from expecting to crack open the latest Harry Potter novel by JK Rowling on Sunday night, however, as their Amazon.com reviews would attest.

"This was the most wait of money I've ever spent! I couldn't read past 10 minutes. I was missed guided about the book I thought it was just saying they were making play NOT that you would be reading a script. You have to always look to see who it is that's talking you have to follow along with what the stage looks like I'm not just unhappy because I love the series the movies but because I was expecting to be reading a book I paid 15$ for and I can't read more than 10 minutes without a headache. UNLESS YOU WANT TO READ A SCRIPT OF A PLAY INSTEAD OF A BOOK DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/theatre/what-to-see/rowling-you-owe-your-fans-a-book-harry-potter-fans-outraged-that/

Anonymous JI August 02, 2016 7:30 PM  

I liked the Earthsea trilogy and some of her short stores as a teenager. Then I read a book or two of Le Guin's with strong(er) feminist themes, without even knowing what the word "feminist" meant, and threw them down in disgust and never looked back. After a few more experiences reading books by female authors, I've boycotted books written by women for many years.

Vox has praised a few female authors, L. Jagi Lamplighter (sp?) and Tanith Lee are a couple I recall, so I'm going to give their works a try as I trust his judgment.

Blogger GFR August 02, 2016 7:36 PM  

I liked the "Lathe of Heaven", particularly the bit where they turned everybody grey to stamp out racism. A more benign version of the Kalergi plan?

Blogger Mr.MantraMan August 02, 2016 7:50 PM  

These women need a burqua and cooking lessons

Blogger Big Griz August 02, 2016 7:50 PM  

I loved A Wizard O Earthsea.
The Tombs of Atuan was fairly good but slow.
The ending of The Farthest Shore was a big disappointment.

The Left Hand of Darkness was an extremely frustrating read that I slogged through because "IT WAS IMPORTANT!"

Tehanu is Feminist crap. The second worst book that I slogged through. I kept thinking it had to get better.

I read a feminist's review of all six books. She slogged through the first three but believes that Le Guin finally matured into a great writer with Tehanu. She's entitled to her opinion. No matter how much I disagree with her.

Blogger Bob Loblaw August 02, 2016 8:48 PM  

Were I trying to make it as an author the fact that Le Guin never had a bestselling book would be more depressing than aspirational.

Is it really true, though? It's hard to believe she's not a best selling author by pretty much any yardstick.

As a young lad I found her Earthsea stuff entertaining, but I don't have much time for her as a person. She's really the one who started the rot at SFWA by threatening to quit if they didn't include fantasy authors. They really should have called her bluff. Once they opened the door to universes that work on feelings an influx of SJWs was bound to occur.

Blogger BassmanCO August 02, 2016 9:38 PM  

@36

Dammit, Steve. I know it is my own fault, but for whatever reason, your links are like a cold beer just begging to be consumed. Then I take a sip and get nothing but skunky foulness.

Blogger Farnarkel of OZ August 02, 2016 9:48 PM  

What's not to like about Barbara Cartland in space ?

Anonymous LBD August 02, 2016 9:49 PM  

Is Kameron Hurley Liz Hurley's brother? That's a man, baby!

Blogger Lazarus August 02, 2016 9:55 PM  

Steve wrote:Kameron Hurley consoles herself

Herself? Are you sure about that Vox?

Hairy Hurley has more designer stubble than an 80's pop star.



In my grandparents day, those plain chicks got married and had lots of children, becoming revered matriarchs.

Looks were not as important as accomplishment. If you are ugly as a mud fence, you better go for exceptional character development.

Blogger Lazarus August 02, 2016 9:59 PM  

The Kurgan wrote:VD,

And your last paragraph is precisely why we need to purchase large tracts of land and lots of shovels.



Best get a backhoe

Anonymous Godfrey August 02, 2016 10:00 PM  

These people are as deep as a puddle. That's why their literature is so uninteresting.

Anonymous Hezekiah Garrett August 02, 2016 10:05 PM  

@59

Buy David the Good's compost book. Let them finally serve a purpose!

Blogger Bob Loblaw August 02, 2016 10:20 PM  

In my grandparents day, those plain chicks got married and had lots of children, becoming revered matriarchs.

Even in your grandparents' day, these kind of "chicks" weren't equipped to have children.

Anonymous Mr. Rational August 02, 2016 10:41 PM  

The Kurgan wrote:your last paragraph is precisely why we need to purchase large tracts of land and lots of shovels.
Rendering plants reduce the waste problem tremendously; you don't want to throw away all the phosphate in hydroxyapatite as landfill.  Fish farming is another good possibility.

Anonymous Jack Amok August 02, 2016 10:56 PM  

The concept that their carefully-crafted political lectures are tedious in the extreme and will be avoided by most readers appears to be beyond their ability to understand

I wonder if there isn't some twisted psychology at work with them, where they subconsciously write things they know won't be read so they can claim it's the fault of bigots and (insert deviancy du jour here)-phobes. If you don't have much confidence in your writing ability and no mindset to hope you'll get better, maybe it's more comforting to fail in a predictable manner.

Blogger Dexter August 02, 2016 11:31 PM  

All such furniture was thrown overboard to make room for political correctness. ALWAYS COMING HOME is about where the brain worms got her: only her work from before this point are worth reading. So 1984 is about the cutoff point for this author.

I remember trying to read it after it first came out and thinking "what the Hell is this trash?" and tossing it away unfinished. I knew nothing of PC or SJWs in those days, all I knew was "this book stinks."

Anonymous BGKB August 02, 2016 11:35 PM  

Why don't more men want to buy books by cat ladies that explain why white men are evil rapists who should be ashamed?

Obviously they are racists.

So many other writers have jumped onto the trend that its become painful.

Most of the British stories of a smart girl, an orphan, and a poor boy at a boarding school came before Potter.

Kameron Hurley's blog informs us that "Kameron Hurley is an intellectual badass."If you have to actually *tell* people that, then it most likely is not true.

Perhaps it was a typo: Kameron Hurley is an ineffectual bad ass. When I heard people saying "what an ass" about one doctor I thought they needed their eyes checked.

Kfg - I doubt Hairy Hurley's ever lifted anything heavier than a bucket of fried chicken...Steve- And if word gets out that there's that much free T in KFC, GNC is going to curl up and die.

Its licking carpet that gives her the fuzz.

That didn't stop a number of fans from expecting to crack open the latest Harry Potter novel by JK Rowling on Sunday night

Hairy Potter & the Magic Smart Niglet, is a play.

UNLESS YOU WANT TO READ A SCRIPT OF A PLAY INSTEAD OF A BOOK DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY."

Is it that hard for average people to read scripts & understand them?

Anonymous andon August 02, 2016 11:44 PM  

Kameron Hurley's blog informs us that "Kameron Hurley is an intellectual badass."If you have to actually *tell* people that, then it most likely is not true.

of course

Perhaps it was a typo: Kameron Hurley is an ineffectual bad ass.

haha

Anonymous BGKB August 03, 2016 12:03 AM  

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2016/08/02/96-hours-of-globalist-panic-continues-tick-tock-tick-tock/#more-119649

The past 96 hours of media onslaught have evidenced what most of you already know, the ‘at risk’ financial interests of the UniParty are going hard against Donald Trump from every imaginable angle.

The timing is specific, the UniParty affiliates are trying to do the narrative damage before people become distracted with the Rio Olympic games.

Anonymous andon August 03, 2016 12:20 AM  

im afraid the current occupant will say something like Trump is unfit for the presidency and therefore he wont allow him to take office should he win, or he will suspend the elections etc. The media and left would probably go along with it and of course congress has already shown they don't have the balls to impeach.

I wonder if the people would even show up in the streets to demonstrate

Anonymous A Paradigm Is More Than Twenty Cents August 03, 2016 12:23 AM  

@68

#NeverTrump Rep. Tim Huelskamp loses primary in Kansas.


One less uniparty member in Congress, mebbe.

Anonymous Spinrad's Agent August 03, 2016 12:26 AM  

Hurley is a conventional thinker who's plundered a century's worth of sci-fi adventure plots and populated them with grrls to appear transgressive. "The God’s War Trilogy" is rough trade Mills & Boon for dykes, the Worldbreaker series barely rises above grrl power GRR Martin fan fiction ('thorn fence" versus GOT's wall, FFS), and her soon to be released space opera is a bearded feminist's romance fantasy where a grrl saves the universe.

Point missed, indeed.

Blogger Doom August 03, 2016 12:47 AM  

Who?

You really dig for us. Though, sometimes, you should leave buried full latrines covered. Just saying.

Blogger Harold August 03, 2016 1:17 AM  

I rmember starting to read some LeGuin because it was recommended by the school librarian. I soon came to realize that any science fiction recommended by a librarian was crap; the good stuff was the stuff they hated.

Anonymous artaud August 03, 2016 2:12 AM  

"when genius masters like Stainslaw Lem, Harry Harrison, and possibly"

Ah yes, Harry Harrison, who, if memory serves, was the author of "Make Room! Make Room!" which was the basis for Soylent Green, a movie where the world was choked with too many... white people?

My interest in SF sort of petered out as a lad with "The Runaway Robot", which was sort of Huck Finn in Space. Anyone remember that one? But I read a few of the classics, just to have some familiarity. I was more of an Alastair MacLean sort of kid.

As an aside, I remember hanging out in the library as a kid and finding a book called "Against Time". I started reading it, and was disappointed to find out it was a detective mystery. I thought it was going to be a refutation of Time. Or at least of Time Magazine.

And yes, I got the shit kicked out of me a lot. Duh.

Anonymous artaud August 03, 2016 2:14 AM  

Harry Harrison was also the name of a popular radio DJ on WABC in NY in the early 70s. A bunch of the WABC DJs (but I think not Harry) get mentioned in the opera "Einstein on the Beach".

Blogger residentMoron August 03, 2016 3:39 AM  

OT but apropos; I received the Progress Report 4 from MidAmericon II today, including their Code of Conduct.

The whole thing is garbage, of course, but is neatly encapsulated with this summary statement:

“Any action or behavior that is illegal or causes significant interference with event operations, excessive discomfort to other attendees, or adversely affects MidAmeriCon II’s relationship with its guests, its venue, or the public is strictly forbidden and may result in revocation of membership privileges.”

What kind of activities do, or are likely to, cause "excessive discomfort"?

Well, nobody knows, or is saying.

But MA2 reserves both all rights of interpretation AND the right to revoke your membership and have you ejected from the event.

So, yeah, liberal democratic progressives with undying commitment to due process and equality before the law.

In other words, tinpot dictators with delusions of adequacy.


Blogger Tom Kratman August 03, 2016 3:47 AM  

"Remember" no one can pin down the location of Shaka's dreaded female combat impis at the Battle of Gqokli Hill because they didn't exist.

Blogger SteelPalm August 03, 2016 4:10 AM  

@74 Never read "Make Room! Make Room!", but Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series is tremendous.

If you're implying that he has globalist sentiments, you couldn't be more wrong, as Harrison despising any and all organized government, while lauding individualism is a hallmark of his works.

Anonymous artaud August 03, 2016 4:51 AM  

I have no doubt it is tremendous. But I don't think Harrison had globalist sentiments because a) globalism as we now understand it didn't exist when he wrote, and b) your mention of the guy simply put me in mind of that book, and the movie Soylent Green warns us of the horrible dangers of having too many....white people.

Anonymous Millenium August 03, 2016 6:15 AM  

@80: I am currently reading the last ot Harrison's To the Stars trilogy at the moment. The globalist world government is corrupt and evil. Israel is the only independent nation and the "good guys" but aside from that the novel is good. Harrison was a pulp author who never aspired to be anything else but some of his works are brilliant. Bill the Galactic Hero is a military satire far above Catch 22.

Make Room, Make Room is not about a world overcrowded by just white people but about a world overcrowded by all people.

Blogger epobirs August 03, 2016 6:17 AM  

Never written a bestseller? Perhaps it's because she isn't very good at this stuff. It isn't as though they can claim sexism. Women exercise a great deal of power over what gets published in recent decades. There are highly successful authors with a near exclusively male audience but my days in book retail in the early 90s showed me that there were far more highly successful women written pretty much just for women.

I really tried to get into Le Guin. Back in the late 70s, when I had my first job and had money to spend on books other than what the local library offered, I went on a spree of catching up with all of the supposed must reads of SF&F that the library didn't have. This included Le Guin. I found her narrative painfully dull and boring. Years later, I tried again on the assumption that I had lacked the maturity to appreciate the lauded texts. Nope. It was just awful. Boring narrative and stories that didn't include much in the way of interesting people or events.

It wasn't until much later that I realized that all of the men who'd spoken to me glowingly of Le Guin eventually came out of the closet as gay. It almost became a cliche.

Blogger Ilíon August 03, 2016 10:11 AM  

"Vox has praised a few female authors, ... Tanith Lee are a couple I recall, so I'm going to give their works a try as I trust his judgment."

I read a few of Tanith Lee's works some 35 years ago, mostly the Flat Earth stuff (*). The stories were gripping ... and *very* perverse.

(*) One of the non-Flat Earth titles I recall was "Red as Blood, or Tales from the Sisters Grimmer", a twist on several fairy tales.

Blogger Big Griz August 03, 2016 11:18 AM  

I loved A Wizard O Earthsea.
The Tombs of Atuan was fairly good but slow.
The ending of The Farthest Shore was a big disappointment.

The Left Hand of Darkness was an extremely frustrating read that I slogged through because "IT WAS IMPORTANT!"

Tehanu is Feminist crap. The second worst book that I slogged through. I kept thinking it had to get better.

I read a feminist's review of all six books. She slogged through the first three but believes that Le Guin finally matured into a great writer with Tehanu. She's entitled to her opinion. No matter how much I disagree with her.

Blogger James Dixon August 03, 2016 2:14 PM  

You know something bothered me about that first line "Kameron Hurley consoles herself.."

And then I realized what it was: Deans or Hitachi?

Anonymous aeou August 03, 2016 3:07 PM  

If you like Bill the Galactic Hero by Harrison, try Good Soldier švejk. It takes place during WW-I. Written during the early part of the 20th century. Might be up your alley.

Harrisons stainless steel rat series is tremendous fun.

Anonymous Mr. Rational August 03, 2016 3:45 PM  

The SSR books are short, funny romps which would make excellent screenplay material.

Blogger Scott Birch August 03, 2016 8:37 PM  

I enjoyed the Earthsea stories growing up, even Tehanu. It wasn't a denial of human nature or part of an SJW movement of reality denial. I read The Left Hand of Darkness, which was good, and The Dispossessed, which was very dull.

But right now I'm re-reading The Eyes Of Heisenberg by Frank Herbert. It is SO much better than all of LeGuin's work.

Blogger The Aardvark August 03, 2016 11:19 PM  

" No wonder SJWs are increasingly gravitating towards children's entertainment"

Steven Universe, anyone?

Blogger The Overgrown Hobbit August 04, 2016 2:20 AM  

Just because you can master the genius' failures, doesn't mean you have a shot at achieving her successes.

Anonymous No Comment August 04, 2016 4:13 AM  

I first read Earthsea (and the next two) a couple years or so ago, and I liked it and thought it was alright. But it just did not seem to be this amazing thing that a lot of other people say it is almost every time I see it mentioned. I do not understand what all the hype was for it.

Blogger flyingtiger August 05, 2016 12:24 PM  

I read a few short stories from LaGuin. They were decent. I never made an effort to get her writings. While not have a best seller, she moved a few units in her lifetime. Many rock bands never has a #1 record but sold so many records that their homes are lined with gold and platinum records. I always wondered why some marketing genius haven't created Gold or platinum books for best selling authors..

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts