ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2018 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Monday, February 05, 2018

Ruh-roh

Super Bowl Ratings Slip To 8-Year Low As Eagles Score Historic Win

1) 2015: 49.7 – Super Bowl XLIX: New England Patriots vs. Seattle Seahawks (NBC)
2) 2016: 49.0 – Super Bowl 50: Denver Broncos vs. Carolina Panthers (CBS)
3) 2017: 48.8 – Super Bowl LI: New England Patriots vs. Atlanta Falcons (Fox)
4) 2013: 48.1 – Super Bowl XLVII: Baltimore Ravens vs. San Francisco 49ers (CBS)
5) 2011: 47.9 – Super Bowl XLV: Green Bay Packers vs. Pittsburgh Steelers (Fox)
6) 2018: 47.4 - Super Bowl LII: New England Patriots vs Philadephia Eagles (NBC)

They can't blame cord-cutting for this one. What has to be making the NFL execs nervous isn't just the fact that the game last night was a great, high-scoring one between two big-market teams that went down to the wire. It's also the fact that the public response to T-Mobile's heavily converged commercial has been so viciously negative. You're betting on the wrong horse, gentlemen. Do keep in mind that if everyone believed in equality, there wouldn't be a Super Bowl in the first place as every team would finish 8-8.

Spacebunny has been entertaining herself today by watching, as she put it, T-Mobile representatives trying mop up the blood on Twitter.

Labels: ,

94 Comments:

Anonymous P_Ang February 05, 2018 10:37 AM  

Was that the god-awful commercial with all the babies?

Anonymous Weak February 05, 2018 10:40 AM  

Anecdotally, I know several people, most of whom are hardcore football fans, who didn't watch because of the Patriots. We're tired of them and their cheating and the league's collusion to help them.

The New England problem is a non-zero factor in the decline. It may be trivial or it maybe be yuge, but it's not nothing.

Anonymous something is missing February 05, 2018 10:46 AM  

Where are 2012 and 2014?

Blogger VD February 05, 2018 10:47 AM  

Why are you asking here and not there?

Anonymous Looking Glass February 05, 2018 10:47 AM  

@1 P_Ang

Yes.

On the Super Bowl's ratings, I was somewhat expecting it to not take the hit the rest of the season has. The game is clearly been hitting the upper-bound for what the NFL can get for a few years now, and it's going to have cultural cachet for a while.

However, this also likely means the NFL has peaked or at least reached saturation. I expect probably a 2-3 year lag before the Super Bowl itself starts to see double-digit drops in viewership. The NFL could rapidly become a "turn in for the Playoffs" sport for a lot of people.

Anonymous VFM #6306 February 05, 2018 10:48 AM  

Didn't see whatever T-mobile did, but if they actually did something to make themselves less popular than Verizon's customer service, that's impressive.

SJWs Always Commit Suicide Eventually.

And no, New England's dynasty isn't killing the Super Bowl. In the subset you are talking about more people watch, hoping they lose, than don't watch at all, fearing they'll win.

Blogger YIH February 05, 2018 10:50 AM  

(((NYT))): Martin Luther King Jr. Commercial for Ram Trucks Is Swiftly Criticized.
Just like I did when it aired. Just sell the damn trucks Fix It Again Tony, I don't need to hear about a dindu ''civil rights activist''

Anonymous Faceless February 05, 2018 10:53 AM  

@3

They didn't hold them because of the Mayans.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan February 05, 2018 10:54 AM  

I listened to the radio broadcast and surprisingly the two normally caste clowns Boomer and Holmgren called a decent game without much caste speak.

I also kept an eye on the SB threads here and at Caste Football and all I could tell was that the commercials are what is going to ruin what is left of the tv ratings.

Nascar begins next week and if they play these SJW commercials they will hear from me and hopefully many more of their core fan group.

Anonymous Faceless February 05, 2018 10:57 AM  

@9

You didn't leave when you had 30 consecutive weekends of Komen as the be-all, end-all charity? Darrell Waltrip crying "Save the boobies! Give Komen money! It's the only disease that matters!" wasn't enough for you?

Anonymous Deplorable Winning February 05, 2018 10:59 AM  

T-Mobile commercial, you were warned-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-rumHvmqCA
Comments are disabled, fancy that.

Screaming pink screen open, fades and pans across a variety of obviously unequal babies with WE ARE EQUAL in block letters, w/preachy, strident SJW V/O.
No mention of why T-Mobile is best mobile.

Blogger Ransom Smith February 05, 2018 11:00 AM  

The same T-Mobile that hired Tim Tebow just a few years ago.

Blogger Nate February 05, 2018 11:01 AM  

the super bowl was a total trainwreck. Brady looked like a gaunt pale aids victim... and he played like he needed a bone marrow transplant. And don't throw meaningless numbers at me. He looked terrible. He looked slow and sick.

The halftime show was the worst indictment of Western Civilization I can think of. Men of the West should offer an apology.

Blogger Zundfolge February 05, 2018 11:02 AM  

I don't even think T-Mobile realizes how bad their ad was ... showing me babies and telling us through the background music that "everyone is gay" at the same time you say "You'll be able to love who you want" and then playing the part of the song about "choking on the ashes of our enemies" when you flash "are you with us?" on screen ... whomever they hired to do the ad just sunk them with some seriously subversive and sophisticated Marxist agitprop.

Blogger Chris Lutz February 05, 2018 11:04 AM  

@7 The funny thing is another subsidiary of Fiat, Jeep, ran the exact opposite type of ad with their No Manifesto's spot.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan February 05, 2018 11:08 AM  

Nascar feelz goodz are not as bad, bad yes but not complete kill off the host SJW bad as the NFL.

Timberlake had on a shirt with a LaVey painting on it, total clown move, or "Hello I am a freaking loserrrrrr."

Blogger Nate February 05, 2018 11:08 AM  

"No Manifesto's spot. "

That ad was pretty awesome.

Blogger Chris Lutz February 05, 2018 11:09 AM  

@13 Nate go back to your unreality. The game wasn't a train wreck and Brady didn't look bad for all of the hits he was taking. Yeah, all of his stats for the game meant nothing just because.

Anonymous Dan February 05, 2018 11:10 AM  

NFL player is killed by an illegal immigrant on Super Bowl Sunday.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/feb/4/alex-gonsales-accused-dui-death-colts-edwin-jackso/


Blogger VD February 05, 2018 11:11 AM  

Nascar feelz goodz are not as bad, bad yes but not complete kill off the host SJW bad as the NFL.

You have it backwards. NASCAR is down 50 percent because they converged faster and more heavily. The NFL is only down 15% so far.

Anonymous burgmeister February 05, 2018 11:13 AM  

Just listen to the voice of the T-Mobile ad. This is evil speaking.

Blogger Shimshon February 05, 2018 11:14 AM  

I guess it didn't get bested by SOTU, but no matter. Bluster is part of the fun.

Anonymous daddynichol February 05, 2018 11:15 AM  

The Estate of MLK was compensated handsomely for the use of the speech by Dodge Ram as it has an iron grip on anything related to MLK. The family and the King Center said they didn't know anything about the ad but you know they're lying. There's way too much money to be gained to keep it a secret.

Scamming when alive, scamming when dead.

Blogger Nate February 05, 2018 11:17 AM  

"The game wasn't a train wreck and Brady didn't look bad for all of the hits he was taking."

both of them?

Anonymous daddynichol February 05, 2018 11:19 AM  

NASCAR will take a huge dive this year since most of their top name drivers are recently retired. Now, it's all jellybean drivers with no distinct personalities. Add to that the convergence of recent years that gutted the heart and soul from stock car racing, it's easy to see that NASCAR and the France family will start closing tracks.

Anonymous Deplorable Winning February 05, 2018 11:19 AM  

VD wrote:The NFL is only down 15% so far.

Maybe that correlates with male Boomer death/incapacitation rates.

burgmeister wrote:Just listen to the voice of the T-Mobile ad. This is evil speaking.

Yeah, they got it down pretty good, eh? About a 9.5/cancer.

Blogger Dire Badger February 05, 2018 11:20 AM  

The Jeep ad WAS pretty cool, just compare the numbers of up and down votes.

T mobile 'we are equal babies': 75% of viewers hated it
Jeep 'manifesto' commercial: 93.3% of viewers loved it.

When are these stupid coastals going to realize that between 75% and 93% of all Americans HATE social justice garbage?

Anonymous Baseball Savant February 05, 2018 11:26 AM  

the super bowl was a total trainwreck. Brady looked like a gaunt pale aids victim... and he played like he needed a bone marrow transplant. And don't throw meaningless numbers at me. He looked terrible. He looked slow and sick.

I thought this too especially during the lead up. I remember remarking to my wife one night after watching Brady that he isn't even 200lbs at this point. He looked more like 185lbs but at 6'4 that is razor thin and sickly.

I thought he scrambled out of some jams with his footwork and was able to still move within the pocket, but I agree with the slow sentiment. He didn't look the part to me. I also thought he made some pretty fantastic passes especially a couple he dropped right in the bucket, but he was WAY OFF on more than a couple too.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan February 05, 2018 11:26 AM  

Yep I just double checked the ratings have collapsed from the highs of the mid 2000s for Nascar. But I am such a old time stock car racing homer I practically did not miss any of the bandwagon trend hoppers. IMO the racing is better and closer these days, back then a few guys were really creative with sheet metal and the races were get lead create dirty air and then cruise, or in the case of Bristol follow the leader, crash into the back of the leader and then hope for the best on a one line track.

As for commercials I still think that Nascar's are not as full of the goofy clueless white men being schooled by the noble, brilliant, tolerant messiah like gay, colored, female or indeterminate sexed individuals. But if the networks run the SB commercials they will kill Nascar with me as they have football with me.

Anonymous Sam the Man February 05, 2018 11:31 AM  

O.K. have to admit I watched the game, only because if I didn't it would have been rude not to, being a family event at the in-laws. First game I watched this year.

Good game but you could tell Brady is slowing down and his reaction time is not what it was 5 years ago. The Christian Philly quarterback was noticeably swifter.

Jeep ad was great, short and they showed a Wrangler with oversized tires taking on an obstacle that would give a M5 Stuart tank fits. Yeah made me want to think about getting another jeep when my 20 year old one with 246,000 miles on it finally dies.

Most of the ads sucked, I would think the US was a majority black nation from most of them. There were pretty liberal preachy, though not as blatant as in years past. The left seems to be trying to use subliminal "feel-good" leftist crap to say that upsetting 3,280 years of G-Ds law is a good thing. Had one where an old white guy was kicked in the balls/stomach by two football players while a screechy black harpy approved. Fairly tasteless.

No Anti-US flag crap and the halftime show, though kind of lame, at least it was not that Satanist Lady Ga-GA or the prior year with Black power negress and cold play pushing gay flags. Still given the performance this year one would think the US is a black nation, in style of music and the dance routines. Very strange.

Best part of the evening was after the game the suburb of Philly I was in sounded like a military night fire exercise, fireworks and other sound producing stuff going on 3 sides for around 15 minutes.

Anonymous A Deplorable Paradigm Is More Than Twenty Cents February 05, 2018 11:37 AM  

Bestest advert: the first Dodge Ram featuring Vikings. Because.

Best trolling: "It's a Tide ad". Everyone in the room fell for it at least once.

Best multiple adverts: Jeep. Boomertards loved the Jurassic Park test drive. The rest of us liked Manifesto.

Stupidest controversy all over the web: "Wuzn't a TD cause replay!", as if the forward pass rule is complicated. As. If.

T-Mobile's ad was a massive fail, even the local teenagers said, "Heavy handed much?".

Blogger Jack Amok February 05, 2018 11:39 AM  

Do keep in mind that if everyone believed in equality, there wouldn't be a Super Bowl in the first place as every team would finish 8-8.

Jeff Fischer for Commissioner! Why, it even rhymes... mostly.

Anonymous WinstonWebb February 05, 2018 11:41 AM  

Eli Manning - Odell Beckham Dirty Dancing

Because Pinktober isn't gay enough.

Anonymous TechieDude February 05, 2018 11:42 AM  

My son's reaction was classic - "That was for a (@#$F cell phone?"

Mine was more jaded. I muttered "Social justice is bad for business. They'll regret that" and went to grab another beer.

If you have to wait until the very end to figure out what they are selling , then they wasted the ad buy. Even more so when the ad is insulting and bad as this was, then their logo is seared in your memory. And, in a bad way. BTW, company aside, what they were selling in the ad is social justice, which has exactly squat to do with mobile service.

Blogger James Dixon February 05, 2018 11:46 AM  

> On the Super Bowl's ratings, I was somewhat expecting it to not take the hit the rest of the season has.

Neither did I. The fact that it dropped that much surprises me. The key metric will be season ticket sales for next year though.

> NASCAR is down 50 percent because they converged faster and more heavily.

That and abandoned their base for race fanatic hotspots like Vegas.

Blogger Cinco February 05, 2018 11:47 AM  

Do keep in mind that if everyone believed in equality, there wouldn't be a Super Bowl in the first place as every team would finish 8-8.

Vox, you're slipping... If all teams were equal their final records would have been: 0-0-16. You are right in that there would be no Superbowl though, as the teams would score the same amount during the games. So, it would break the playoff metrics!

Blogger Ben Kurtz February 05, 2018 11:51 AM  

YouTube has not only disabled comments on the T-Mobile Super Bowl ad, they've also disabled the like/dislike buttons on it as well.

By contrast, the Jeep ad has both comments and like/dislike buttons still functional.

The Soviet-style repression of popular opinion is striking. These people never learn!

Anonymous Ryan G February 05, 2018 12:00 PM  

Can someone here explain the allure of watching these games? I've asked this question to other people in real life and the responses I get are utterly alien to me: "The commercials are great." "The half time shows are spectacular." and, perhaps the most cogent, "It's amazing watching two teams of great athletes square off in competition with each other."

In regards to commercials, don't people get enough of those? I recently learned that 15 minutes out of every hour of cable television are commercials.

The half-time show seems peculiar to me because I thought people were interested primarily in the game. If you want to watch people singing and dancing, you can do that any time via the internet or, better yet, going to a concert and watching a live performance.

As far as athletics goes, what is so impressive about their sport in particular? I don't get sports in general, but to me watching an Olympic gymnast complete a routine flawlessly is far and away a more impressive feat. Yet Gymnastics is a dying sport that seemingly nobody cares about even though the athletes involved possess almost superhuman strength, agility, and coordination.

This isn't a put down for the people who enjoy watching football. I really just don't understand the basis for the fanatical devotion people show for it.

Blogger James Dixon February 05, 2018 12:00 PM  

> If all teams were equal their final records would have been: 0-0-16.

That ignores home field advantage.

Blogger James Dixon February 05, 2018 12:02 PM  

> As far as athletics goes, what is so impressive about their sport in particular?

If you can't watch the plays and understand, then there's probably no way to explain it to you.

Anonymous WinstonWebb February 05, 2018 12:03 PM  

Home field advantage is indicative of Patriarchy!

Blogger Mr.MantraMan February 05, 2018 12:03 PM  

FTR Nascar thought it had to hold its end of the year awards in NYC, then they found out that NYC at least the mayor did not care for it and the Nascar base would rather head to Vegas, so Vegas it is.

Blogger Jack Amok February 05, 2018 12:05 PM  

Where are 2012 and 2014?

Dunno about 2012, but they never played a superbowl in 2014. Really strange, can't remember what happened.

Blogger MacD February 05, 2018 12:09 PM  

No one mentioned this great ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr7W7smqXg4

Blogger Jack Amok February 05, 2018 12:12 PM  

He looked terrible. He looked slow and sick.

I thought the same thing. Especially on that trick play where he went out as a receiver, he looked like an old man. He was slow and stiff running, and he alligator-armed the pass with nobody there to hit him - looked like he was afraid of falling down and hitting the ground.

I think it's amazing he's played as well as he has as long as he has, but last night he looked his age.

Anonymous Sam the Man February 05, 2018 12:14 PM  

Ryan G.

The half time show is for the chicks. The are bored out of their gourd (for the most part), and only come out of the kitchen when the half time show is one or they hear a musical ad.

Same is true of the ads. They appeal to the women for the most part. That is why if you noted the Olympic ads, they were all pitched to sports chicks like (skating female down hill etc)

Since women spend something like 3 out of 4 family dollars, it makes sense.

As far as Olympic athletes, well they may be good but they are spoiled rotten. If you have ever been close to actual football players, you will note you have huge heavy guys that move like greased lighting. They are truly impressive athletes, it is just less noticeable on TV as you do not see them relative to the normal folk.

J. Dixon had it right on the appreciation, there is both a tactical side and strategic side to Football unlike any other sport. It is why it has done so well prior to becoming a cesspool of black thugs and their enablers.

Anonymous BigDog77 February 05, 2018 12:14 PM  

The T-Mobile Ad was like something out of this Saturday night live sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imUigBNF-TE&feature=youtu.be

Anonymous BigDog77 February 05, 2018 12:21 PM  

Football appeals because it's like a stylized battle simulation. It's violent, but not deadly. It's a team sport, a tribal rivalry, and the fans on each side identify with their team.

Using equal team sizes, the generals (coaches) and cavalry leaders (quarterbacks) play action chess against each other. It's interesting to the male mind. Play selection on offense and defense is key, as is execution, as are the varying talents of the individual warriors. There are safer plays and riskier but higher reward plays. Correctly anticipating the actions of your enemy pays off big. Lots of game theory. Lots of trickery. Lots of "understand your opponent."

For the strategic male mind, it's like catnip. That type of viewer identifies with the coach. What strategy will win?

In other sports, you marvel at the athleticism, but it's harder to imagine yourself as the coach selecting plays.

Anonymous Deplorable Winning February 05, 2018 12:23 PM  

Nate wrote:"No Manifesto's spot. "

That ad was pretty awesome


Yeah. Educational too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmMa4kLj-ZQ

One shot, no cuts. Jeep drives into a lake, then up and out in some serious 4-wheel action. The entire script:

"How many car ads have you seen with grandiose speeches over the years?
Big declarations?
Making claims to some over-arching human truth?
Companies call these commercials 'Manifestos'.
There's your Manifesto."

Anonymous BigDog77 February 05, 2018 12:24 PM  

I agree that, in spite of Brady's impressive stats, he looked weak and gaunt and pale and sad. His stats were good partly because the Philly defense almost never challenged him at all.

Maybe he was sad because they told him he had to lose.

Or maybe his wife's supermodel diet ISN'T appropriate for big football players after all. Vegetarian diets (or whatever he's on) help at first because they clean your system. But they slowly weaken you over time.

After the loss, Gisele will leave him and start dating me. Then Tom can go enjoy a burger!

Anonymous fop February 05, 2018 12:26 PM  

I guess we can lay to rest the notion that the refs are in the Patriots pocket.

Anonymous Anonymous February 05, 2018 12:29 PM  

I recall a time where I really looked forward to T-Mobile adverts because they featured the sweet, leggy Carly Foulkes.
How far they've fallen...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef01348907f3ea970c-pi

https://fscl01.fonpit.de/userfiles/4774964/image/tmobile-lte-w628.jpg

Anonymous JAG February 05, 2018 12:32 PM  

Mr.MantraMan wrote:

Timberlake had on a shirt with a LaVey painting on it, total clown move, or "Hello I am a freaking loserrrrrr."


He is just reaffirming to his masters in show biz that his soul is still sold.

The most striking soul selling has to be Jimmy Kimmel. That guy was a normal guy back in the 90s. Now, he's a complete sell out to the Satanists. He gained the world, and lost his soul.

Blogger Dave February 05, 2018 12:34 PM  

@Ryan G,

Was it you that recently posted you were raised by a single parent (mother) and never played any form of team sport?

Blogger bob kek mando February 05, 2018 12:38 PM  

25. daddynichol February 05, 2018 11:19 AM
NASCAR will take a huge dive this year since most of their top name drivers are recently retired.



wrong.

after Daytona, they're done with the Danica Marketing Experiment.

you remove Danica from NASCAR and that's half the convergence gone right there. it's a huge indictment of NASCAR races to come back from an ad break to an in-car view from Danica
...
who is laps down
...
but not wrecking
...
so you can watch her get passed?

if THAT is the most notable thing that happened while the cameras were away, you got problems.

Larson drives the wheels off better than anybody i've ever seen.

Kyle Busch is still really damn good ... and good for a temper tantrum off track.

you got Chase Elliott to pick up the nostalgia flag, and he's a pretty sharp driver as well.

Johnson is now the Grande Dame of the series with 7 championships.

and you've always got Bad Krashawallski.



28. Baseball Savant February 05, 2018 11:26 AM
but I agree with the slow sentiment.


Brady being slow is why he didn't make that reception. he looked like he was stuck in molasses compared to everybody else.

Blogger Timmy3 February 05, 2018 12:39 PM  

I watched. The game was actually exciting. Eagles and Patriots played a competitive game. When Patriots lead by one, I felt they might end up winning. Another change was Justin Timberlake doing the Half Time Show. Just one guy and no guest stars. Not even a rumored cameo by Janet Jackson. The disappointment was his singing that felt like a lip sync and his shaved head, beard, and scruffy costume that made him look like a homeless guy or a thug. The riots that followed in Philadelphia is ridiculous. The police didn’t do anything. They partied along with the rioters. The collapsed platform with spectators was funny.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan February 05, 2018 12:40 PM  

My wife said Timberlake's show was "ok" means a dud for the most part if my female to male logic translator is working this morning.

I'm not a Christian by any measurements but I get a good kick out of the Eagles players coming out for Jesus, explicitly and without apologies. Could they overdo the Jesus thing? Yes, but where a clown wears an Anton LeVey painting on his shirt I think I'll throw in with Team J on this one.

Anonymous fop February 05, 2018 12:40 PM  

Weird to say, but a whole generation of dads is now understandably worried that their kids might turn out gay if they watch too much football.

Anonymous raptor disrespect from behind February 05, 2018 12:40 PM  

This version of the T-Mobile ad is a bit better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_OgqfKSYCo

Now, why would they choose a Nirvana Song, "all apologies" as the background music for that t-mobile ad....

lyrics here: https://genius.com/Nirvana-all-apologies-lyrics

Anonymous Baseball Savant February 05, 2018 12:41 PM  

Can someone here explain the allure of watching these games?

Ryan G this is a fair question. I'm a pretty big football fan. I've been an athlete my entire life. I played D1 baseball and turned pro (just the minor leagues) after college. I was also recruited to play college football (FCS not FBS). For me it is just the strategy. As a player I don't think I ever got caught up into this because for me I think you are always focusing on getting better and reaching a higher level. After I left baseball I trained to be a scout and got to work in baseball operations. I didn't do this for very long (a couple of years) but the game completely changed for me at this point.

For me it became a lot more about roster construction & getting the psychology of the clubhouse to the right fit in order to succeed. At the upper levels the scheme/fit/strategy becomes everything. Vox will talk about this a lot when he talks about strategy & tactics but when I was playing I thought a lot more about tactics but at the operations level, you are thinking a lot more about overall strategy not just of the 25-man roster at the major league level but the 30 guys you have at every team in the farm system.

Football is on an entirely different level than baseball. Baseball is incredibly binary in nature (pitcher v. batter) but with football there are 22 guys out there exhibiting a strategy & all the pieces have to be moving in the same direction for it to work. Baseball is a better game by far in my opinion, but most people probably don't agree with this. Most people have not played baseball at extremely elite levels.

I don't really care about the players any more. Last night was more about scheme v scheme. Philly's front 7 against the New England tendency to throw those screens or slants or to James White/Dion Lewis as the leak through the O-Line. It was more about can Philly get to Brady. Is NE going to run a lot of hurry up so Philly can't rotate the D-Line players? Is the Philly secondary going to play press man or let the Pats WRs have a little bit of a soft cushion. Is Malcolm Jenkins going to go 1 on 1 v. Gronkowski.

I don't care much anymore about the players or the athletes. But the strategy and the team building is interesting to me. We could go on and on about player development as well, which I think is intriguing.

Blogger Dave February 05, 2018 12:46 PM  

he looked like an old man. He was slow and stiff running, and he alligator-armed the pass with nobody there to hit him

He is an old man by NFL standards. He's always looked slow and stiff running. He's not a WR obviously, all he had to do was run under the ball

Blogger James Dixon February 05, 2018 12:51 PM  

> Maybe he was sad because they told him he had to lose.

The most likely bet is that he's getting over the flu. It's been pretty bad this year.

Blogger Desdichado February 05, 2018 12:58 PM  

Ryan G wrote:This isn't a put down for the people who enjoy watching football. I really just don't understand the basis for the fanatical devotion people show for it.
Then it sounds like you're responding in the wrong thread for you. I suggest you hit the back button and read a thread, and then respond, on a subject that's of interest to you.

Blogger Dave February 05, 2018 12:59 PM  

The riots that followed in Philadelphia is ridiculous

That's just silly calling that a riot. Check out some of the actual riots that have taken place in Canada when one of their NHL teams lost a playoff series or the Stanley Cup.

Blogger Desdichado February 05, 2018 1:29 PM  

What hashtag on twitter should I be looking for on the T-Mobile ad?

Blogger Jed Evnull February 05, 2018 1:36 PM  

The NFL is 75% black. As last season demonstrated, a large percentage of that 75% hate America and a certain percentage are thugs and criminals besides. Professional sports in general have been on a downward slope since the day Jackie Robinson picked up a bat for the Brooklyn Dodgers. No different than SJW entryism, actually.

Blogger Snidely Whiplash February 05, 2018 1:51 PM  

Overheard at overpriced small town grocery yesterday:
"Cindy! Why aren't you watching the Superbowl? You never miss a game."
"Never used to. Those guys disrespected my country and my little brother. He died in vietnam so they could be rich pampered whiners. Fuck them. I'm never watching another NFL game."

Blogger haus frau February 05, 2018 1:53 PM  

"Never used to. Those guys disrespected my country and my little brother. He died in vietnam so they could be rich pampered whiners. Fuck them. I'm never watching another NFL game."

I like Cindy.

Blogger Lucius Cincinnatus February 05, 2018 2:04 PM  

All the new Americans don't watch American football. They watch world football.

Blogger Thucydides February 05, 2018 2:07 PM  

Outside of the spitting on fans, as many people noted the games themselves are uninteresting. I did watch Super Bowl 50, but after the third time the Panther's QB was sacked it really wasn't that interesting (although it was entertaining to keep a running tally of QB sacks).

Negotiations with the networks and advertisers are going to become rather tense in the future.....

Blogger tublecane February 05, 2018 2:08 PM  

@14-I don't know how sophisticated it could've been, considering everyone Noticed.

Blogger Johnny February 05, 2018 2:22 PM  

With regard to that trick play where Brady is the receiver: Of the few I have seen the usual problem is that the passer overthrows the receiver. It would seem obvious that with only one pass attempt they are a little too pumped and throw harder than in practice. You have to throw to the receiver you have, not an imaginary faster one.

Anonymous BBGKB February 05, 2018 2:25 PM  

I wish Cryptofashion had BOYCOTT NFL apparel

If you have ever been close to actual football players, you will note you have huge heavy guys that move like greased lighting. They are truly impressive athlete

Groids guzzling down thousands of horsenuts worth of steroids will eventually pay the price.

Because Pinktober isn't gay enough.

Could be worse, Weka's taxes are paying for a fisting festival.
https://www.queerty.com/local-residents-uproar-learning-tax-dollars-might-fund-gay-fisting-festival-20180201

Blogger Danby February 05, 2018 2:33 PM  

haus frau wrote:I like Cindy.
Multiply Cindy by several thousand.

Anonymous Elmer Fudd February 05, 2018 2:48 PM  

T-Mobile's ad was the equivalent of an own goal in soccer.

I was at a family gathering, a room full of 16 people, every one of whom cursed T-Mobile in some way, shape, or form.

The end of the ad says "Change starts now." My brother-in-law confirmed that by changing his mobile provider this morning.

Here's a funny send-up of the ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_OgqfKSYCo

Blogger JaimeInTexas February 05, 2018 3:02 PM  

InfoGalactic's Super Bowl ratings, through 2016
https://infogalactic.com/info/List_of_Super_Bowl_TV_ratings

Wiki's has graphics, excluding 2018:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_television_ratings

Blogger JaimeInTexas February 05, 2018 3:05 PM  

@75
Too bad faux-a-hontas did not have a feather on her head.

Blogger SemiSpook37 February 05, 2018 3:20 PM  

While T-Mobile definitely stepped in it, pretty much all of the US carriers are converged in some way, shape, or form. Legere just can’t seem to help himself in that regard.

As for the game, I only watched the last ten minutes of game time, because I wanted to witness Brady’s inevitable defeat (and trust me, it was pretty obvious that the ride was over after the Ertz TD).

And not for nothing, but listening to Cris Collinsworthless bitch for 15 minutes after each of the TD reviews reminded me why I wasn’t watching in the first place. Sure, determining what is and isn’t a catch these days requires the ability to perform multivariable differential calculus, but once the rulings were made, that’s it.

I’m just sad I can’t make any more jokes about the Eagles’ formerly empty trophy case.

Blogger Retrenched February 05, 2018 3:23 PM  

As soon as I saw "we are equal" i knew they were about to push some SJW BS so I turned off the tv.

Blogger Were-Puppy February 05, 2018 3:28 PM  

@67 Snidely Whiplash

I went to store and the black cashier asked me why i wasn't watching the game.

I told her I was taking a knee on the NFL this season. I'm watching the Puppybowl instead.

Blogger James Dixon February 05, 2018 3:36 PM  

> My brother-in-law confirmed that by changing his mobile provider this morning.

As a satisfied customer: https://www.consumercellular.com

Not for big families that use a lot of data, but otherwise they're pretty good. And they use the AT&T and T-Mobile networks for their coverage, so you get the benefits of them without their costs.

Blogger Azimus February 05, 2018 3:49 PM  

If the NFL had ignored/censured the kneelers since the beginning like they did yesterday, then this would've been a very nice crown jewel to the season.

I like the underdog vs the elite storied program. I like the down-and-out blue collar Philly vs the elite hipster dandy teas sipping Bean Town. I like the 7-9 to Superbowl Champion with unproven coach. I like the backup quarterback cum preacher thrown into spotlight, stinking it up and transforming in the postseason to near-perfection. I like the back and forth slugfest down to the wire. There's tons of stuff I'm leaving out. This may be one of the great sports stories of our time.

But d*mn Collin Kaepernick for ruining it all.

Anonymous Beauty of football February 05, 2018 4:01 PM  

Re- the allure of watching the games.... If you want to get hooked u need to find an NFL films production with an orchestra and kettle drums slow motion deep voiced narrator..maybe a glimpse of an early 80s San Diego Chargers game on NFL films.. that should get you into it. Im getting excited just talking about it.

Anonymous NFL Fanboi February 05, 2018 4:47 PM  

With more streaming options than ever this year, last night’s game is up 9% in metered market results compared with when the Patriots and Eagles last clashed in the NFL title game, at Super Bowl XXXIX in 2005.

Adding another 2.6 million viewers via NBCSports.com, the NBC Sports app, NBC.com TV Everywhere, Universo, En Vivo app, NFL.com, NFL Mobile from Verizon, the Yahoo Sports app, and go90, the Comcast-owned network says its absolute total viewership of 106 million.

One must take into account these two important statistics. In the end, the NFL is taking a hit, but it is not as bad as people are making it out to be.

Anonymous Joe Boomer February 05, 2018 5:06 PM  

Bought a Dodge Ram truck today because Dr. Martin Looter Kang Jr.

Blogger MJ Meyers February 05, 2018 5:21 PM  

The SJWness in the ads could've used a bit more umph. I for one was disappointed they didn't make Han Solo a black man under the tutalage of a strong muslim woman in a hijab.

Blogger van helsing February 05, 2018 5:43 PM  

VD and 32: everyone 8-8 you say? "muh tiebreakers"... btw, did yall see the pic of brady in the coat that came out...

Blogger van helsing February 05, 2018 5:44 PM  

lends credence to some unsavory rumors... http://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/2018/02/05/twitter-mocks-tom-brady-s-trench-coat-calls-him-inspector-gadget-zoolander.html

Blogger Lovekraft February 05, 2018 6:08 PM  

Lots of cringe with Justin trying to show his moves. That shtick was lame twenty years ago. Being part of the boy band craze is something one can never live down.

Anonymous Ryan G February 05, 2018 9:16 PM  

Dave wrote:@Ryan G,

Was it you that recently posted you were raised by a single parent (mother) and never played any form of team sport?


No. My upbringing was the exact polar opposite of that. I was coerced into joining every sport available, from soccer to track to football to wrestling. I quit every single one of them because I found them boring. I don't blame my parents at all. They believed they were helping me because they saw my introversion and bookish nature as a character flaw.

However, that same nature compels me to try to understand things. I want to understand precisely what the allure is so that I can better understand people's behavior during this time of year.

By reading these responses, I gather that people perceive the game to be an athletic chess match. Their emotional investment stems from a combination of perceived tribal and/or regional affiliation along with a general sense of appreciation for the team and coach's skill. This has been far more instructive than my usual responses which are mostly boil down to "I just do." or "It's fun to watch." or "It's America's pastime." (whatever that means).

From that, I can now understand why the decline of viewership troubles so many people. I can see how player drama, injecting politics, and all of that turns people off. In addition to those things being odious by themselves, they distract from the aspects described earlier which makes people not care as much about the game. It is understandable that one would be outraged if something one was emotionally invested in deviated significantly from its core purpose.

Anonymous CoolHand February 05, 2018 9:17 PM  

VD wrote:You have it backwards. NASCAR is down 50 percent because they converged faster and more heavily.

NASCAR took it in the shorts because while they were converging, they were also fucking up the rules package on a weekly basis and they were losing their most popular drivers, to the point that most old school fans simply quit in disgust.

The convergence (IMO anyway) was actually less overt in NASCAR, but because it was also accompanied by the godawful changes in the rules AND the retirement of some of the sport's most popular drivers, it hit them far harder than what the NFL was doing.

Of course, when the fans started leaving they doubled down on their stupidity, and I suspect it will be worse yet this year, with Dale Jr being gone, Kennseth being gone, and Danica headed out the door.

At this point, all the drivers that guys from my age bracket rooted for are now long gone, so it won't take much in the way of new BS rules or convergence to run us the rest of the way off.

Of course, I haven't watched a NASCAR race as-broadcast in probably ten or twelve years (since DVRs happened), and I haven't DVR'd one in three or four years, since I shitcanned the DISH entirely.

Now when I watch a race, it comes off of YouTube or bit-torrent, sans commercials (and sometimes even sans commentary, sooo good).

So I watch it a day or two after everyone else, who cares? Deny them the ad revenue and hasten their decline.

When the urge hits me to see a race in person, I've made a point of going only to the local saturday night short tracks, spending my money on the local grass roots instead of the converged national organizations.

The racing is better on the short tracks anyway.

Anonymous bilbo February 05, 2018 9:24 PM  

To me, the really funny part about the T-Mobile ad is that I had no idea what the narrator was saying or what the background music was, simply because I was so enjoying the snarky and hilarious comments from the ladies in the room regarding which babies were cute (only a couple) and which ones were "so ugly!"

Wait...that wasn't the intent?

Blogger Erynne February 05, 2018 9:35 PM  

This was the first year I had completely no desire to watch the Superbowl, which I loved for decades because of the commercials and stakes of the game. A few years in Canada sucked the fun out of the commercials because they didn't get any of the good ones, and I had long since stopped caring about football itself. This year I wasn't tempted in the least and I am tempted less and less each day by everything converged. I have no desire to watch the latest movies or TV shows because they are all converged. I am finding there are better things to do with my time, like when I stopped paying attention to the news.

Blogger SirHamster February 05, 2018 9:58 PM  

Ryan G wrote:By reading these responses, I gather that people perceive the game to be an athletic chess match. Their emotional investment stems from a combination of perceived tribal and/or regional affiliation along with a general sense of appreciation for the team and coach's skill. This has been far more instructive than my usual responses which are mostly boil down to "I just do." or "It's fun to watch." or "It's America's pastime." (whatever that means).



Don't extrapolate too much from blog commenters on a smart blog.

Chess match is how some strategic minds perceive the game. It's a small subset of the overall fanbase; not many people would enjoy watching a chess championship game.

I'd say most of the attachment is emotional, which is why most of the usual responses give you so little information.

1. It's tribal. I heard Superbowl viewers yelling at the TV after a play, "we gotta do better than that." Where that "we" is only because that team is Not-Patriots.

And that is fun to many, to adopt some group/individual as your champion and sharing in the thrill of victory and loss.

2. It's also social. The majority of people like to be a part of the Majority. Ex: "It's America's pastime": watching football is American thing to do -> I am American; I watch football; I fit in with all the other Americans doing American things like watching football.

For me and many others, it's an excuse to hang out and enjoy good food. No particular attachment to either team, or even the game, but we get to yell with the passionate fans and share the moment.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts