ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2018 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Friday, June 15, 2018

Gammas are not welcome here

I think it is now time to openly institute an anti-gamma policy. It's no secret that I detest them and their behavioral patterns, but I simply don't have the time or the patience to tolerate their antics any longer. The now-banned Pale Male's nonsense is a good example of why they simply aren't worth the effort required to put up with them.
You forgot the modifier:  Social science is not scientific. That's because "social" is a modifier meaning "not":  social science, social justice, social work.... Tell us, Vox:  have you ever taken a course in physics?  Did you pass?
This is classic gamma bullshit utilizing the four As of the gamma.
  1. Assume a superior, lecturing pose.
  2. Assert that the other party has made a mistake, and in doing so, demonstrate a complete failure to have understood what the other party said.
  3. Attack the other party instead of addressing the subject at hand.
  4. Attempt to disqualify and discredit the other party in lieu of demonstrating the errors of their position.
The whole point of the post, which was explicitly stated, was that scientistry (the scientific profession) is increasingly not utilizing scientody (the scientific method). That is what "science is not scientific" means and the observation applies to both the hard and the soft sciences, as has been chronicled here on several occasions. My having taken, or not taken, courses in physics at the high school and college levels has absolutely nothing to do with the accuracy of my observations concerning corruption in science. All aspects of science. After all, I haven't taken a single course in psychology, which would theoretically be even more relevant to the subject, and yet the gamma doesn't ask about that... because he knows perfectly well such questions aren't relevant.
You forgot that using the Stanford prison experiment to conclude anything whatsoever about physics is a non sequitur. Completely different people, methods, standards of evidence, reproducibility (institutional review boards would no doubt prohibit it today), everything.
I didn't forget anything. I'm literally the individual who coined the sarcastic expression "You can trust biologists. Because physicists get amazingly accurate results." As I pointed out in my response, that is like saying that because Charles Ponzi was a completely different person living at a completely different time and using completely different methods than Bernie Madoff, and operating under very different regulatory standards, it is a non sequitur to use his actions to conclude anything about Madoff's.

Physicists are people, subject to the same incentives and motives and character flaws as psychologists. They are corrupted in the same way and for the same reasons. And we already possess considerable evidence that some of them are behaving in exactly the same way, despite their various differences. Just ask Stickwick about how intellectually and scientifically pure academic physicists are these days.
Tell us, Vox: have you ever taken a course in physics? Did you pass? Your own rule: 2... If you are asked a direct question relevant to the topic, then you will be expected to answer it in a straightforward and non-evasive manner... I'd bet 10:1 I know the answer but I want it straight from you.
Notice that he is posturing as if he is confident, and yet he doesn't commit himself publicly to a position, for fear that he will be proven wrong. This is textbook gamma posturing. And he is still trying to make the subject about me, rather than about the big news concerning the scientific fraud underlying one of the most famous studies in social science, while trying to use my own rules against me.

Of course, being careless and obsessive like all gammas, he stopped reading once he found what he was looking for and failed to read the whole thing.

29. These Rules may in no case be interpreted contrary to the purposes and principles of Vox Day, as solely determined by Vox Day.
I'm still waiting for him to tell us if he's actually gone there in physics, and how far.
Notice how he's "still waiting" for an answer to a question he never even asked. That's because this is not a relevant question, it is an attempt to "win" the discussion through discrediting and disqualification; he's begun to fear that I have taken a course in physics and is preemptively laying the groundwork for moving the goalposts. Which, of course, is why I ignored the question in the first place. Whenever you successfully answer a gamma's initial attempt to discredit and disqualify you, he will simply respond with another question intended to do the same. This process never ends until a) you kick him out, b) he finally manages to come up with a question that allows him to say HA!, c) you have such impeccable credentials that he falls silent in embarrassment, or d) you ignore him so long that he finally gives up and goes away.

I wasn't the only one who noticed the flashing neon signs saying "warning: gamma at work ahead".
In what way is Vox's educational history relevant to the question? Are you always this dishonest, or only when challenged? This is a sneering, gamma-ish, and obviously false assertion of the appeal to authority, and you should know this.
And notice how the gamma always eventually brings the discussion back around to himself. Every single time. Note that literally no one asked about his credentials, his degrees, or what subjects he studied, but that didn't prevent him from telling everyone anyhow.
I stopped my formal study of chemistry in my freshman year of college, but I'm still working on it.  Autodidact, check.  I'm sketching hardware to do practical applications. 
After initially trying to ignore his antics to no avail, I opted for Option A and kicked Pale Male out. He's now banned from commenting on the blog, and I plan to similarly ban every single gamma who acts up and subjects us to similar antics. From now on, if anyone even addresses me in a personally challenging or passive-aggressive manner, I'm just going to delete their comments. I have learned over 15 years of daily blogging that it is always a waste of time to even answer such commenters; they add nothing to the discourse, they inevitably attempt to derail the discussion, they try to snarkily disqualify everyone who disagrees with them, and they inevitably start to talk about themselves instead of the subject at hand.

This is not a place for gammas to show the whole world what smart boys they are. This is not a place for anyone to attempt to work out their psychological issues. And above all, this is not a place to waste my time. Everyone is welcome to express THEIR OWN opinion about THE SUBJECT BEING DISCUSSED, they are not permitted to attempt to hijack the microphone or try to elevate their perceived status at my, or anyone else's, expense. If I tell you that you are wrong, you are welcome to try to prove that you were actually correct, but any attempt to attack, disqualify, or discredit me in lieu of an actual defense of your assertions will be nuked on sight.

And while you're welcome to try to correct me if you think I am wrong, you had damn well better cross your t's, dot your i's, and get all of your ducks in a row while you make your case for it, because there are few things I despise more than one of my intellectual inferiors wasting my time by erroneously attempting to "correct" me, especially by citing orthodox information with which I am obviously already familiar. If all you've got is a snarky passive-aggressive statement of opinion that is a prelude to the usual routine, just go away and don't come back. Or at the very least, keep it to yourself. I'm not even remotely interested in playing stupid gamma games.

Labels: , ,

118 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Paul Grech Pereira June 15, 2018 7:33 AM  

"I'm sketching hardware to do practical applications."

Translation:
I'm doing literally nothing.

Blogger OGRE June 15, 2018 7:37 AM  

wait what? Hes trying to attack you based on his assumption that you never took a physics course in college...yet he himself admits to having never taken a college level science course beyond first year chem lab?

Blogger JACIII June 15, 2018 7:38 AM  

Need an auto redirect to alphagame so they can regale all and sundry with tales of sigma daring do.

Blogger Nate June 15, 2018 7:41 AM  

God I hate these people..


You know what pisses me off about gammas? I mean a lot things... obviously.. but this is the big one. Gammas have this dream.. or fantasy where they have this one perfect snarky comeback... and that one comeback wins the whole world for them. In their broken mind they think they'll say this perfect phrase in this perfect situation and finally everyone will realize how brilliant they are and girls will all love them and the alphas will all accept them in their ranks and acknowledge their true superiority.


Except here's the thing... how does the gamma react when someone throws that perfect rhetorical right cross at them and leaves them flat on their back? Do they react like the people in their fantasy? Hell no.

So there is this schizophrenic cognitive dissonance. They've accepted something, and defined their whole lives by something, that they know for a fact is not true. And they hate themselves for it.

Blogger bob kek mando - ( Campaigning to recognize the Democratic voting Rights of Border Collies and Negros ) June 15, 2018 7:42 AM  

PaleMale
Tell us, Vox: have you ever taken a course in physics?
...
I stopped my formal study of chemistry in my freshman year of college, but I'm still working on it.


*facedesk*

look, Gammas. there's only room on this blog for one designated idiot.

and i'm it.

so piss off.

Blogger VD June 15, 2018 7:45 AM  

I always find it intriguing that people who place such value on academic credentials tend to so easily ignore my Bachelor of Science degree.

Except here's the thing... how does the gamma react when someone throws that perfect rhetorical right cross at them and leaves them flat on their back? Do they react like the people in their fantasy? Hell no.

Excellent observation. Even their core strategy is delusional.

Blogger tublecane June 15, 2018 7:47 AM  

I took on physics class in college. It was basically a class on arithmetic that occasionally required me to make little doodles and mess around on a "lab" with prisms and bouncing balls.

So even if it were relevant, it wouldn't mean anything.

Blogger Nate June 15, 2018 7:47 AM  

"Excellent observation. Even their core strategy is delusional."

gamma has to be associated with some definable mental illness. has to be.

Blogger VD June 15, 2018 7:48 AM  

Gammas have this dream.. or fantasy where they have this one perfect snarky comeback... and that one comeback wins the whole world for them.

Good Will Hunting has much for which to answer.

Blogger bob kek mando - ( Campaigning to recognize the Democratic voting Rights of Border Collies and Negros ) June 15, 2018 7:56 AM  

and to preemptively forestall the obvious disqualifying question:

no, i'm not K9 instructor qualified.

but i'm still pretty sure that i can get a Border Collie well enough trained to reliably and consistently vote a straight Republican ticket.

i know i can do a better job than Lincoln did with Negros.

Blogger JACIII June 15, 2018 7:56 AM  

I'd blame their mothers, but how does one become an adult without realizing EVERYONE's mother told them they were smart and pretty?

Blogger tublecane June 15, 2018 7:59 AM  

@9- People remember "how do you like them apples?" and forget about all the hard work he put in at the library and the fact that he was born a genius.

Blogger Josh (the sexiest thing here) June 15, 2018 8:00 AM  

look, Gammas. there's only room on this blog for one designated idiot.

and i'm it.

so piss off.


Well now you've done it, in an hour we're going to find out that one of these folks has a damn doctorate in village idiots studies at some second tier liberal arts school.

Blogger Nate June 15, 2018 8:01 AM  


"Good Will Hunting has much for which to answer."

and Harry Potter.. who was the secretest secret king of them all.

Blogger Josh (the sexiest thing here) June 15, 2018 8:02 AM  

People remember "how do you like them apples?" and forget about all the hard work he put in at the library and the fact that he was born a genius.

But at least I won't be unoriginal, says Movie Quote Guy.

Blogger Sim1776 June 15, 2018 8:12 AM  

@Nate

I'd say gammas suffer from Narcissistic Personality Disorder but that's just a guess. That psych elective is 20 years in the rear view mirror. Psychology hasn't contributed much of real value in a long time. Common sense is a much better tool.

I find it humorous that people will comment on other blogs to whine about Vox. It often boils down to "let's you and him fight!"

Blogger OGRE June 15, 2018 8:12 AM  

Charlie: I'll pull a Good Will Hunting.

Mac: No no Charlie don't...

Charlie: What's your major dude?

Frat Boy: Economics

Charlie: Oh, I bet you read a lotta Gordon Wood, huh? You read your Gordon Wood and you regurgitate it from a textbook and you think you're wicked awesome doin' that, And how 'bout 'dem apples? And all that Gordon Wood business.

Frat Boy: I have no idea what you're talking about.

Other Frat Boy: You are an idiot.

Mac: You ARE an idiot.

Charlie: Does no one know who Gordon Wood is?

Frat Boy: You know what, go get the stun gun.

Blogger bob kek mando - ( Campaigning to recognize the Democratic voting Rights of Border Collies and Negros ) June 15, 2018 8:13 AM  

9. VD June 15, 2018 7:48 AM
Good Will Hunting


and Fight Club were both pretty good movies that bitched out on the central premise of the story at the climax and cut themselves off at the knees.

but they did get the certified Pedowood sop to normies by letting the Hero "live happily ever after" at the end of the movie.

with a less intelligent woman.

Blogger Looking Glass June 15, 2018 8:21 AM  

Only thing that keeps coming to mind is, "So, Vox, tell us how you really feel?". Which probably why I never looked at a career as a stand-up comic.

I only caught part of Pale Moon's response, in real time, and just kind of skipped over it. It's one thing to derail a conversation, but the Gamma always derails the conversation to end up being about them.

After some recent run-ins with Gammas, in other places, I think Nate's on the right track. It's the delusions that's the most annoying part. Recalling those run-ins, it was structurally no different than a Woman going, "it's because I'm fat, right?" if you ask her for directions. It's delusion, wounded ego and solipsism rolled into one.

Blogger Nicholas June 15, 2018 8:24 AM  

Will you accept my personal challenge of a beer chugging contest? Or better, the ruler challenge!

Blogger Mark Stoval June 15, 2018 8:24 AM  

@13

"Well now you've done it, in an hour we're going to find out that one of these folks has a damn doctorate in village idiots studies at some second tier liberal arts school."

That may be the funniest thing I have read in a week. Good on you and thanks for the laugh.


@VD
You don't need me to tell you; but this is a great decision you have made. The drive-by gammas are a real trial to most of us.

Blogger VD June 15, 2018 8:25 AM  

and Harry Potter.. who was the secretest secret king of them all.

Akshually, that is Kvothe, from Patrick Rothfuss's Name of the Wind, who not only kills a dragon and publicly humiliates his teachers in front of the whole class, but even sexually satisfies a whore when losing his virginity.

The name of the book should have been Portrait of the Perfect Gamma.

Blogger Peaceful Poster June 15, 2018 8:29 AM  

@11 - I'd blame their mothers, but how does one become an adult without realizing EVERYONE's mother told them they were smart and pretty?

My Mom told me I was handsome.

Blogger Pierre Truc June 15, 2018 8:30 AM  

VD> It's no secret that I detest them and their behavioral patterns

I find gammas disgusting.

The gamma is the guy who takes the piss about something irrelevant, then builds a grudge for years, then sticks a knife in your gut while you're sleeping. I guess we have evolved an instinct which warns us about them.

Blogger Nate June 15, 2018 8:32 AM  

"The name of the book should have been Portrait of the Perfect Gamma."

gammas make up a small percentage of the world population... and yet account for almost all fantasy writing...

Remember that freak that wrote The Lies of Locke Lamora?

Blogger Rabbi B June 15, 2018 8:33 AM  

If all you've got is a snarky passive-aggressive statement of opinion that is a prelude to the usual routine, just go away and don't come back.

Bravo.

If a wise man contends with a foolish man, whether the fool rages or laughs, there is no peace. (cf. Proverbs 29)

Blogger Jack Ward June 15, 2018 8:33 AM  

Again Vox uses a long post to offer up an education that is concise, hard hitting, accurate and free. If you don't love this blog there is something seriously wrong in your wheel house. Only problem coming here is its additive nature. Should probably be a controlled substance.

Blogger Looking Glass June 15, 2018 8:35 AM  

Nate wrote:

"Good Will Hunting has much for which to answer."

and Harry Potter.. who was the secretest secret king of them all.



Social Media has proven that Harry Potter is the only book series about half of all Leftists have ever finished. If one is running any place that touches on Fantasy Fiction, they should probably have a standing rule to have finished LOTR before being able to comment.

Sim1776 wrote:@Nate

I'd say gammas suffer from Narcissistic Personality Disorder but that's just a guess. That psych elective is 20 years in the rear view mirror. Psychology hasn't contributed much of real value in a long time. Common sense is a much better tool.

I find it humorous that people will comment on other blogs to whine about Vox. It often boils down to "let's you and him fight!"


Since this is a place that can talk hard Truths, "Psychology" has always been a fraud, like a lot of the "soft" Sciences. It's been little more than cataloging human actions, without any framework to classify them properly. Today, the field acts more to prevent real information from ever getting out, as it would ruin all of the public-facing facades.


@22 VD

My first thought was, "that's a pretty good impression, that can't be real".

https://infogalactic.com/info/The_Name_of_the_Wind

"whereupon Master Namer Elodin accepts Kvothe as an advanced student of his own". What's the corollary to Rule 34 about "if it's stupid, someone has written it"?

Blogger Pierre Truc June 15, 2018 8:38 AM  

Nate wrote:and Harry Potter.. who was the secretest secret king of them all.

I disagree... I'd say Harry's problem is that he's a dude written by a single mom, and I feel that explains a lot.

Voldemort on the other hand would be a nice portrait of a gamma, which is fitting, since he's the antagonist, also written by a woman, and women hate gammas with a passion.

Contrast with dumb jerkboy Ron, who is actually a dude JKR had a crush on when she wrote the book. Hermione is her self-insert btw. She confessed it. Which is why the two end up together. Total author wish fulfillment syndrome. But I digress.

Blogger Al From Bay Shore June 15, 2018 8:40 AM  

Sometimes reading these gamma responses makes me cringe because it reminds me of things that I did and try not to do.

Ever have one of those moments when a thought of something terrible you've done or said enters the mind, and a shudder briefly overtakes you? That's the "cringe" I am describing.

Blogger MB June 15, 2018 8:44 AM  

Scoffers as in Proverbs

Blogger Looking Glass June 15, 2018 8:46 AM  

@30 Al From Bay Shore

Everyone has those "veer off! veer off!" moments. Most of mine remind me to thank the Lord I still have all of my limbs after the fact.

Blogger Azimus June 15, 2018 8:52 AM  

And while you're welcome to try to correct me if you think I am wrong, you had damn well better cross your t's, dot your i's, and get all of your ducks in a row while you make your case for it

You would think, as the challengers approach this, the fortress of the SDL, they would see the ground littered with the rusted arms and rotted corpses of so many who came before who thought surely they wouldn't be disemboweled by his ineluctable dark arts...

Blogger Garuna June 15, 2018 8:52 AM  

It's amazing how gammas think that nobody can see through their posturing. Socially retarded and divorced from reality.

Blogger maniacprovost June 15, 2018 8:55 AM  

From now on, if anyone even addresses me in a personally challenging or passive-aggressive manner, I'm just going to delete their comments

Awwwww man

Blogger James Dixon June 15, 2018 8:57 AM  

> Sometimes reading these gamma responses makes me cringe because it reminds me of things that I did and try not to do.

Many of us have been there. Not everyone is a born alpha.

Pale Male made the mistake of personally attacking Vox. It was an unwise decision. As Vox said, if you think he's wrong, make your case. But a) don't make it about him and b) if he says you're wrong, back off.

I suspect if he simply emailed Vox with an apology and promised to behave in the future he'd be allowed back. But somehow I doubt he'll do so.

Blogger Brick Hardslab June 15, 2018 8:58 AM  

You couldn't get the collie to vote republican he couldn't get into the booth in a republican district. On the other hand I have actually heard a democrat boss say, "let them vote. If I could get my cat to pull the lever I'd let him vote." In the case of two juveniles voting.

Blogger Brick Hardslab June 15, 2018 9:00 AM  

I've never seen Good will hunting but I imagine it's about gay college boys giving each other blow jobs.

Blogger Garuna June 15, 2018 9:02 AM  

Gammas on the Right consistently trash pick-up artists, sports fans, Christians, and American history/culture/heroes.

The social retardation is unbelievable. They have no idea how repulsive they are to normal people. Or maybe they're not trying to win over normal people. Just posturing about how they are better than "Christcucks" and "niggerball fans".

Blogger 357Delta June 15, 2018 9:06 AM  

Depression. Every Gamma I've met has signs of at least mild depression.

Low Deltas who occasionally act Gamma this isn't true they are either former Gammas or dealing with insecurities.

Blogger Amy June 15, 2018 9:22 AM  

Gammas have this dream.. or fantasy where they have this one perfect snarky comeback... and that one comeback wins the whole world for them

“Oh yeah? Well the jerk store called, and they’re running outta YOU!” - George Costanza

Blogger Credo in unum Deum June 15, 2018 9:24 AM  

Vox - Once in awhile you should let one of them slip thru. Otherwise, I'm going to miss watching you kick them in the nuts.

Blogger Whitecloak June 15, 2018 9:28 AM  

Holy hell, I think you've finally made me realize the ultimate tell of the gamma. "WELL, ACKSHUALLY..."

Thanks, VD, appreciated.

Blogger MJ Meyers June 15, 2018 9:33 AM  

That was a cool post! Your scientody v. scientistry distinction inspired a post I wrote a month ago. https://stratagemsoftheright.blogspot.com/2018/05/plato-and-rise-of-scientistry-and.html

When you guys all write (including Cerno, Molyneux, etc. ), it inspires us. The Gamma comments are ignored by people like us who take your ideas to heart and actually buy your stuff.

If I had commenters like some of yours, I'm sure my post would have a comment like "Aristotle was not a direct student of Socrates!", b/c, to keep things short, I mentioned Plato and Aristotle were students of Socrates when Aristotle was an indirect student of Socrates through Plato more accurately.

When you have Gammas in your audience, I think it slows down your work, b/c they nitpick at irrelevant little details to try and embarrass you. But when you try and get work done, you waste TIME trying to anticipate all their BS little snipes, subtracting from your overall work output. You wind up fixing little details that don't really matter, as opposed to getting work done.

The effect of the Gamma is to silence us. We may have great ideas we want to get out there, but we hold back, because (a) our details may not be perfect and (b) we don't have the time to make everything bulletproof to any immaterial possible errors seen by irritating critics who don't have our best interests at heart anyway.

I'm sure the Gammas don't deter you. But they may deter others out there who have great ideas they want to share with the world but hold back.

Blogger SJ June 15, 2018 9:41 AM  

The gamma male is quite a character. Passive aggressive beyond belief. You often won't even notice they exist until they reach the aggressive part of their passive aggressiveness. They lack any ability to be assertive because turn they might lose. They have no understanding that everyone loses all the time, we just admit it, admit it to ourselves, and then try again.

That inability to admit to themeselves that they've lost, failed, or been wrong is what bothers me the most about them. It leads them to delusion.

I have seen a few gammas over my decades of life now actually manage to seduce and impregnate less intelligent very young women by bafflegabing them with tales of ridiculous bullshit and how they always win. Much to the woman's chagrin as she figures out a year or more later that the guy is actually a gamma.

Blogger pdwalker June 15, 2018 9:51 AM  

VD is too kind.

Blogger Matthew June 15, 2018 9:52 AM  

HALLELUJAH

Blogger Darth Dharmakīrti June 15, 2018 9:54 AM  

I'd say Harry's problem is that he's a dude written by a single mom, and I feel that explains a lot.

It does explain a lot, but Harry is also a total Gamma Secret King, and it was one of the things that jumped out at me even as a young adult. He is a blank slate onto which all the virtues of Equality and Democracy are projected, and there is nothing special about him (both Harry the character and we the audience are constantly reminded of this), other than the fact that the eeeevil actions of Voldemort forced him into a position where literally the only thing he had to do to achieve greatness was accept his destiny. He wasn't particularly bright or strong or hardworking, he does get called "brave," but his "bravery" consists entirely in accepting the hand he was dealt.

Voldemort on the other hand would be a nice portrait of a gamma

Voldemort is not a Gamma. Voldemort is Hitler, if Hitler's occultist magick actually worked, and if Hitler had actually been correct about the inherent superiority of the Aryan race. It's an enormous tell about JKR's internal psychology that her message is "the strong must fear and protect the weak, even when it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever." The other enormous tell is that Draco, as the mirror image of Harry, narratively requires a redemption arc; but we never get it, because she is so consumed with rage at the old British aristocracy, even despite being worth more than most of them, many times over, that she pours all her vitriol and resentment onto the poor lad's back.

Hermione is her self-insert btw

This makes perfect sense, but it's just so ludicrous that it had never really occurred to me before. Of course the broke single mother whose "great contribution to humanity" is a founding mythos for the p*ssy hat crowd sees herself as a world-shattering genius and the real power behind the guy who nominally saves the day. Of course she does.

Blogger Coral reef June 15, 2018 10:10 AM  

Homesteader here.(Don't ask about the new moniker.)

I have 4 children, all teens now.
We have an ACTUAL "no passive-aggressive" rule in our home- violaters get mobbed instantly.
(My daughter being the strictest enforcer among the kids- girls HATE gamma behaviors). My ex in-laws inspired the rule;
living around California Progressives will teach you about gammas, real fast.

Would it be fair to say that, since courage is the first virtue, and gammas inherently lack courage, their inherent repulsiveness stems not just from their behaviors, but from their very souls?

(We all have MOMENTS of fear, or doubt.
God willing, we castigate ourselves, buck up, and carry on.)

What special hell is it where you EMBRACE your fears and justify them?

Their very being is an affront to Virtue. Wormtongues, indeed.

Blogger SmockMan June 15, 2018 10:14 AM  

Gammas need to drill the philosophical concept of charity into their skulls. It helps to avoid boneheaded strawperson arguments.

Blogger wreckage June 15, 2018 10:19 AM  

Those of us who do not hold degrees should not attempt the "do YOU have a degree HUH? HUH? HUH?" ad-hominem. Especially not on people who actually hold degrees.
I sympathize a bit with Gammas. I do not sympathize with people so strategically inept they deliberately steer an argument straight into their own balls and then slam it home repeatedly.

I honestly think these incidents are a kind of subverted suicide impulse.

Blogger RB June 15, 2018 10:38 AM  

A wise man once said nothing.

Blogger Ben June 15, 2018 10:41 AM  

Long time reader, rare commenter. Your reader's comments regularly provide interesting takes on a topic, but often are just another way for people to scream "me too." Silent Ilk out

Blogger Slen June 15, 2018 10:42 AM  

Can females be gamma?

Blogger tuberman June 15, 2018 10:45 AM  

If one is a Delta, as I sometimes view myself, it's good to be selective of the one to which you extend your loyalty. I like "Doers" and people who attempt to grasp the Truth. Don't care about nigglers, and people who argue to merely "win."

Reading John Boyd's slight update on Sun Tzu's material has strengthened this attitude. There are ways to influence through mentoring, but mentoring is not teaching, as one just points the way to help growth, then you get out of the way, as the person does most of the work themselves. Most often enthusiasm is supplied to support others strengths, along with suggestions to, "Hey, look at this area, it could help you."

If Gammas get good at something, they become Gatekeepers, blocking the way of real talent, and hoarding their knowledge as a weapon. Women hate Gammas, as they are often filled with the same traits themselves. They do not want to see it in guys.

Blogger Mocheirge June 15, 2018 10:56 AM  

Slen wrote:Can females be gamma?

Only if they have XY chromosomes. Otherwise they are simply females.

Blogger Rick June 15, 2018 11:05 AM  

I finally could no longer stand Thomas Wictor anymore. The stack of minuses exceeded the stack of pluses. Blocked him.

Blogger A rebel without a General June 15, 2018 11:08 AM  

What a gamma

Blogger Desdichado June 15, 2018 11:09 AM  

Mocheirge wrote:Slen wrote:Can females be gamma?

Only if they have XY chromosomes. Otherwise they are simply females.

This seems pretty right to me. A short-hand for gamma behavior is often to simply imagine a guy who acts like a stereotypical woman.

Blogger Rabbi B June 15, 2018 11:12 AM  

The Gamma's problems are ultimately spiritual in nature and their only hope for real, lasting change is nothing less than a spiritual transformation that convinces the Gamma he is deeply flawed and not the center of the universe.

When we have a real life-changing encounter with the living G-d, we can't help but realize that we are owed absolutely nothing; a realization which should fill us with something which I am more and more convinced everyday is the key to all of living : gratitude.

The Gamma is ultimately an ingrate.

The ingrate loathes being indebted to anyone and this perspective will have an adverse affect on all of his relationships. Because of this warped perspective, the Gamma will struggle to recognize the good being done to him, especially when that good comes in the form of correction or a good old fashioned beat-down.

The Hebrew word for gratitude is 'hakaras hatov' which, when roughly translated, means 'recognizing the good.'

Recognizing the good that someone does for us requires humility, a trait which doesn't come easy to the Gamma. Humility and gratitude do not come easy when you're a secret king who is convinced that he is not only superior to everyone else and misunderstood, he is also someone who people underestimate to their peril.

Hence, the Gamma's fantastical obsession with idea of people groveling before him when he finally delivers the awe-inspiring, snarky repartee that leaves the whole world reeling and wishing they had never dared to challenge him in the first place.

The Gamma need not lose heart, for the Messiah laid His life down for him as well. Until he recognizes this, a life filled with bitterness will be his lot.

Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment ... let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself ...for if anyone thinks himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself...(cf. Romans 12;Philippians 2; Galatians 6)





Blogger Expendable Faceless Minion June 15, 2018 11:14 AM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger cheddarman June 15, 2018 11:18 AM  

all gamas to Gitmo!

Blogger Azimus June 15, 2018 11:21 AM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger John Bradley June 15, 2018 11:28 AM  

girls HATE gamma behaviors

Naturally. Girls own "passive-aggressive", and how dare the boys try to horn in on their thing.

FRANK N. FURTER: "I didn't make [it]... for you!"

Blogger Feather Blade June 15, 2018 11:35 AM  

MJ Meyers wrote:If I had commenters like some of yours, I'm sure my post would have a comment like "Aristotle was not a direct student of Socrates!", b/c, to keep things short, I mentioned Plato and Aristotle were students of Socrates when Aristotle was an indirect student of Socrates through Plato more accurately.

Accuse them of knowing nothing about Aristotle at all, because if they had, they'd be able to construct the syllogism "Socrates taught Plato; Plato taught Aristotle; therefore Socrates taught Aristotle."

Trying to find a comeback should occupy them for tens of seconds!

Blogger Expendable Faceless Minion June 15, 2018 11:42 AM  

Craig Fergusen's rule for posting on the internet. Always ask yourself these 3 things before posting.

1. Does this need to be said?
2. Does this need to be said RIGHT NOW?
3. Does this need to be said right now BY ME?

Blogger The Kurgan June 15, 2018 11:48 AM  

Vox did an Akshually.
I can’t even.

Blogger Stickwick Stapers June 15, 2018 12:47 PM  

This has been one of the best comment threads in a while.

Just ask Stickwick about how intellectually and scientifically pure academic physicists are these days.

Most of them are still committed to good science. However, as Vox said, physicists are people, too, and susceptible to corrupting influences like anyone else. There’s a disturbing split emerging in physics that correlates with the rise and domination of atheism / post-modernism in academia, with some physicists dismissing the necessity of experiment. This should be alarming to anyone who understands how science works.

c) you have such impeccable credentials that he falls silent in embarrassment

When I put "PhD astrophysicist" in my Twitter profile, the amount of retarded, snarky, gamma atheist interactions dropped to almost zero overnight. I resisted displaying my credentials like that, because I naively thought that my arguments should stand on their own merit. Well, not with gammas, they don’t.

Blogger VD June 15, 2018 12:58 PM  

When I put "PhD astrophysicist" in my Twitter profile, the amount of retarded, snarky, gamma atheist interactions dropped to almost zero overnight.

A female astrophysicist with a PhD is almost Gamma kryptonite. All you need to add to that is "cheerleader" and they would literally evaporate on first encounter with you.

Blogger Miles Plastic June 15, 2018 1:03 PM  

They do it to get attention like sulking children.

Blogger James Dixon June 15, 2018 1:07 PM  

> ...with some physicists dismissing the necessity of experiment. This should be alarming to anyone who understands how science works.

To anyone who expects advancement in the sciences to continue, yes. I'm not sure I expect that at this point.

Blogger kurt9 June 15, 2018 1:31 PM  

I agree that what is being called the "gamma" approach to argument is irritating.

Blogger Snidely Whiplash June 15, 2018 1:37 PM  

Gammboy is back in the previous thread. "I was right and Vox never passed physics!" which is honestly the stupidest conclusion one could reach.

Anonymous Anonymous June 15, 2018 1:42 PM  

Good lord.  Two yes or no questions answered with a long screed, 74 (now 75) comment discussion thread, and a banhammer.

But people must like it for some reason.

Blogger Eduardo June 15, 2018 1:53 PM  

Well, Truth is, Pale Macho is just pulling the line we learn in school and in University. You see, Physics is by far the ONE science that we perceive as being the TRUEST. So we theorize that all things must be as accurate as Physics (At least as we perceive Physics to be) in order for it to be Science.

So any attempts to hurt Physics is an attempt to hurt "our" trust in Science. Vox was a bit bold when he said the rot started in Physics. You see the thing is, Science is technically a Religion of sorts, and Physicists are it's highest priests. Since all that is learned is Facts; Conclusions about Experiments are facts, Averages of the dataset are facts, Interpretation of the experiment are facts, Mathematical Models are facts, and not How To Do Science: "Here it is the Data, now why you think that it is the way it is?" "Can you trust these measurements?" "How can you rationally justify your conclusions?", your view of Science will inevitably be the view that Science==Truth, and hitting Physics is like denying reality itself. Heretics must burn!

This reminds me of reading the Irrational Atheist when Vox does a 180, on Sam's brain dead argument XD. Vox became my Hero that day, never saw someone being so gutsy! (leave my "gutsy" alone!)
Mostly because: "No one is allowed to bad mouth Science, how dared he!?!" Good times, good times XD.

Blogger Sim1776 June 15, 2018 1:53 PM  

@Stickwick

There’s a disturbing split emerging in physics that correlates with the rise and domination of atheism / post-modernism in academia, with some physicists dismissing the necessity of experiment.

Is this the modeling crowd? I'll admit that I'm approaching a ride for which I'm too short but wasn't ruining good climate science research enough?

Blogger Nostromo June 15, 2018 1:58 PM  

Some guys just have to pee on the electric fence.

Blogger Stg58/Animal Mother June 15, 2018 2:03 PM  

Models are like guns. A useful tool, but disastrous if used improperly. We use modeling tools all the time at work.

Blogger Snidely Whiplash June 15, 2018 2:28 PM  

Stg58/Animal Mother wrote:We use modeling tools all the time at work.
Modeling is great is the thing modeled is well-understood, like structural mechanics.

No-one will claim that your structural mechanical models have revealed a new principle of physics.

Blogger Matthew June 15, 2018 2:28 PM  

VD wrote:When I put "PhD astrophysicist" in my Twitter profile, the amount of retarded, snarky, gamma atheist interactions dropped to almost zero overnight.

A female astrophysicist with a PhD is almost Gamma kryptonite. All you need to add to that is "cheerleader" and they would literally evaporate on first encounter with you.


Does hot blonde power-lifter beat cheerleader?

Blogger SciVo June 15, 2018 2:33 PM  

Darth Dharmakīrti wrote:I'd say Harry's problem is that he's a dude written by a single mom, and I feel that explains a lot.

It does explain a lot, but Harry is also a total Gamma Secret King, and it was one of the things that jumped out at me even as a young adult. He is a blank slate onto which all the virtues of Equality and Democracy are projected, and there is nothing special about him (both Harry the character and we the audience are constantly reminded of this), other than the fact that the eeeevil actions of Voldemort forced him into a position where literally the only thing he had to do to achieve greatness was accept his destiny. He wasn't particularly bright or strong or hardworking, he does get called "brave," but his "bravery" consists entirely in accepting the hand he was dealt.


I would argue rather that he's more womanish than gamma -- like the obverse of a "man with boobs" action hero, he's a "chick with dick" inaction* hero -- but then a counter-argument could be made that it's a distinction without a difference.

* Basically every romance novel ever written is Woman Vs. Herself, in which she has to learn how to get out of her own way and let amazing things happen to her. This is why I call them "pragmatism" novels, as for men, romance is sacrificial (or even tragic). Disclaimer: I got bored with Harry Potter before Deathly Hollows, so I don't actually know how it ends, but I would be very surprised if Rowling's nature changed.

Blogger VD June 15, 2018 2:50 PM  

Does hot blonde power-lifter beat cheerleader?

The only thing that beats cheerleader is Victoria's Secret model.

Blogger Stickwick Stapers June 15, 2018 2:54 PM  

Sim1776: Is this the modeling crowd? I'll admit that I'm approaching a ride for which I'm too short but wasn't ruining good climate science research enough?

No, not so much the modeling crowd. Stg58 is right that it all depends on how you use models. As long as they’re rigorously constrained by un-manipulated data — and scientists acknowledge that they’re not reality — models are useful.

The problem is that there’s a subset of physicists that thinks falsifiability is overrated, and this of course goes back to fundamentally untestable hypotheses like the multiverse. If you dig deeper, you discover the reason for it, which is anti-Christian bias.

Take the fine-tuning problem. It’s a problem in the philosophical sense — how in the world do you get a naturalistic universe that not only shows every sign of being designed, but over-designed? Well, one answer is that the universe was designed by a Designer, and it’s a very good answer, but for the atheist, it’s unacceptable. So, we have the multiverse idea, which is supposedly a naturalistic solution to the fine-tuning problem, but it presents its own problem, which is that it can’t be falsified. Outspoken atheist physicist, Sean Carroll, said this isn’t a good reason to reject it as an explanation for fine-tuning. He’s called for the “retirement” of the falsifiability principle, referring to it as “just a simple motto that non-philosophically-trained scientists have latched onto.” (The irony is that this supposedly philosophically trivial motto has been used by science-worshipping atheist spergs everywhere in lame attempts to discredit Christian belief in the biblical God. Well, let it be known that their high priest has spoken, and they can’t use it anymore.)

If you know the history of modern science, none of this is surprising. Modern science is a direct product of Christian ideals and assumptions. One of those ideals is the principle that you must test all things. That’s straight out of the Bible. But once you jettison the biblical basis of science, it’s anything goes. There was enough momentum from the highly-successful Christian-dominated era of physics that falsifiability remained a governing principle for decades after the secularization of academia, but Vox is right that the rot is now affecting physics.

As tempting as it is, we mustn’t give in to despair. Encouragingly, Carroll received a lot of pushback from other eminent physicists — most notably from George F.R. Ellis, a highly respected and outspoken Christian cosmologist — and I think physics may yet be saved by another scientific revolution that’s on the horizon.

Intrigued? If you want more of this kind of stuff, you’re going to have read my books. ;^)

Blogger Rick June 15, 2018 2:59 PM  

VD, what’s your read of Dr Berlinski?
Read his book Devils Delusion more than once for the pleasure of it.
He makes I think excellent points about the THEORY of evolution. Or rather, that it doesn’t even reach the level of theory based on the actual evidence.
He’s not suggesting he doesn’t believe in it (I do also of course) just that the “science” assumes an awful lot.

Blogger peppermint June 15, 2018 3:02 PM  

Vox is right about the rot starting in physics: Everett should have been flogged for trying to popularize a misinterpretation of QM. There is no reason everyone shouldn't be aware of QM in a general sense, we all use inherently quantum stuff like computers and leds and solar panels, but the misinterpretations sabotage that. Instead of demanding sense too many physicists were tolerant of nonsense and now many people with credentials believe and promote nonsense. As to which paradigm for quantum gravity, the correct answer is correct for technical reasons, not for sociological ones.

There are no good professors in the sense that regardless of what a professor thinks he had better pretend to believe various nonsense. The university was a terrible idea because it decouples ideas from consequences and lets people live off other people's reputations.

Blogger Stickwick Stapers June 15, 2018 3:03 PM  

Matthew: Does hot blonde power-lifter beat cheerleader?

Oh, Matthew, I love you. Sadly, powerlifter doesn't beat cheerleader in the female intimidation hierarchy. It's still a force-multiplier, though, and an amusingly unexpected one: not only do I know more than the gamma, I can probably outlift him.

Blogger Sim1776 June 15, 2018 3:17 PM  

Thanks for the responses and clarification! I'll admit that I had to read slowly, Stickwick, and I will check out your books.

Blogger Lyon June 15, 2018 3:29 PM  

@69.

"A female astrophysicist with a PhD is almost Gamma kryptonite. All you need to add to that is "cheerleader" and they would literally evaporate on first encounter with you." - Vox D.

Oh, THAT is good. I come here for the intelligence and stay for the humour.

@80.

Yeah, no.

Blogger maniacprovost June 15, 2018 3:30 PM  

When physicists reject the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics in favor of a Ping Pong Ball based theory, that will be a sign that science is being purified.

Blogger Dire Badger June 15, 2018 3:41 PM  

After that 'intellectual takedown' scene in "Good Will Hunting" I just kept thinking to myself that those college guys really should have taken him behind the bar and beaten him half to death.

No one like a smartass.

And girls HATE intellectual one-upmanship. They want a guy that makes them feel something other than stupid.

Blogger Stickwick Stapers June 15, 2018 4:41 PM  

Hey, would someone post a link to the scene from Good Will Hunting y'all are talking about? I don't remember it.

Dire Badger: And girls HATE intellectual one-upmanship. They want a guy that makes them feel something other than stupid.

Being corrected is SO HOT. A fat guy in a fedora starts to say AKSHUALLY, and it's like one of those razor commercials where a man's just finished shaving and a beautiful woman rises up to feel his face. Oh, baby, tell me why I'm wrong...

That guy from The Tao of Steve said one way to get the girl is to be excellent at something in front of her. But do gammas understand there's a difference between impressing someone and defeating them? It's like everything's a zero-sum game to them.

Blogger fiendeJ June 15, 2018 4:50 PM  

Here's the scene from Good Will Hunting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIdsjNGCGz4

Blogger tz June 15, 2018 5:27 PM  

half-OT, The details are a few paragraphs down, but the Libertarians, the Free State Project, and Porcfest is officially totally converged into a black hole Event Horizon shows.

This is Not Tom Woods, Bob Murphy's "contra cruise", but that will take a bit longer.

Blogger Mocheirge June 15, 2018 5:48 PM  

VD wrote:Does hot blonde power-lifter beat cheerleader?

The only thing that beats cheerleader is Victoria's Secret model.


Doesn't choreographed metal meido also beat cheerleader?

Blogger Jack Ward June 15, 2018 6:13 PM  

91. Stickwick Stapers
June 15, 2018 4:41 PM
Hey, would someone post a link to the scene from Good Will Hunting y'all are talking about? I don't remember it.

I think it might be at the bar in Boston where one of Will Hunting's 'betters' is trying to belittle him by showing off his, the better's, greater knowledge. Will then goes into a long piece of dialogue that basically destroys the so called 'better.'
I found the movie entertaining and cheered on the discomfort of this overstuffed Boston accent, grad student at discovering he had tangled with a genuine genius.

Blogger Jack Ward June 15, 2018 6:40 PM  

OK. Just noticed the link at comment 92. Yeah, believe that was the scene Vox may have referenced. The movie was definitely not about gay guys giving blow jobs. Though, who knows what Minie Driver's character was doing in the movie away from the camera.

Blogger Expendable Faceless Minion June 15, 2018 7:11 PM  

Once VD's energies and time is spared from gamma distraction, the blog should become even better.

Don't let the door smack your asses on the way out!

Blogger bob kek mando - ( Campaigning to recognize the Democratic voting Rights of Border Collies and Negros ) June 15, 2018 8:10 PM  

25. Nate June 15, 2018 8:32 AM
Remember that freak that wrote


no. i'm not doing it. you will not sucker me into reading ALL of the freaks that write Fantasy.

my OCD be damned.


37. Brick Hardslab June 15, 2018 8:58 AM
You couldn't get the collie to vote republican he couldn't get into the booth in a republican district.


look here, this is why i'm a genius idiot and you're ... not.

i'm going to bus Republican voting border collies in to inner city polling stations.

you choose voting location judiciously and the election officers will be so thrilled to not be dealing with rotting corpses that they won't mind a little extra hair.


51. wreckage June 15, 2018 10:19 AM
I honestly think these incidents are a kind of subverted suicide impulse.



self abnegating behavior is a feature common to many neuro-deviancies.



83. Stickwick Stapers June 15, 2018 2:54 PM
[Sean Carroll}’s called for the “retirement” of the falsifiability principle,


of course he has.

because, if no one tries to falsify anything anymore, no one is likely to find all the things he's already cheated at.


88. Lyon June 15, 2018 3:29 PM
Yeah, no.


if she's power lifting a plate of tasty sammiches, she wins every time.

Blogger Dire Badger June 15, 2018 8:55 PM  

@Stickwick-

https://youtu.be/nWoFPcdcA1E

Blogger Dire Badger June 15, 2018 8:56 PM  

It's kind of like that scene in revenge of the Nerds where the Jock's girlfriend forgives him for raping her in a Darth Vader outfit because 'he was so good'

Blogger Lyon June 15, 2018 9:27 PM  

@98. Agreed! The way to a man's heart is through his stomach.

Blogger Scott C June 15, 2018 9:46 PM  

Vox, when you interact these people offline, do they behave like this? Do gammas behave different offline than they do in person?

Blogger Jack Amok June 15, 2018 11:04 PM  

gamma has to be associated with some definable mental illness. has to be.

I'll reiterate my theory - that Gammas are created when something goes wrong and a 9 month old baby boy doesn't have a Testosterone spike so his brain develops as a female brain and can't cope with adult T-levels.

Blogger Paul M June 16, 2018 12:07 AM  

@68 "I resisted displaying my credentials like that, because I naively thought that my arguments should stand on their own merit."

Scientific arguments rest on facts. Observations of the actual world. It's not possible to post the backing for facts in a twitter post, particularly for astrophysics, because that backing is volumes of data. A display of credentials is shorthand for "I actually do know the facts of the matter, and can produce them".

It is academic integrity that gives the word of a PhD the weight it has. If a PhD in astrophysics says "there is excellent evidence that the universe is about 14bn years old", we should be able to trust that at least that much is true.

Notably, academic integrity is something that the left is busily attacking. Both on principle, and because it's way too much work.

Blogger Rory June 16, 2018 4:03 AM  

OT, but speaking of Gammas, Chris Hardwick just got #MeToo'd. On the same nerd-tier as sort of Wil Wheaton and John Scalzi kind of figures. Not in terms of level of fame (or made up fame), but their embrace by those communities. And for being fairly "progressive".

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/15/17469022/chris-hardwick-nerdist-chloe-dykstra

Comic-Con is a month away, and I'm wondering if we'll see a meltdown from him soon. He's already been disavowed by the company, "Nerdist", he used to own (sold it off to Legendary). There's gonna be a lot of attention on him there, especially as he just got three shows just greenlit, and so there'll be a lot of press on him (and pressure on the execs behind those shows).

Makes me sad to be honest, but I only bring it up because your talk of Gamma behaviour reminds me of this wider geek/nerd behaviour. And as a fan of the podcast, it's become more and more distinct the more hours I spent listening to it. It's so weird how the things he's been accused of doing and saying are like... I can imagine them, y'know, from having read his psychology over years of listening to him talk and interview people.

Blogger Patrikbc June 16, 2018 5:58 AM  

The only thing that beats cheerleader is Victoria’s Secret model.
But even then, only if their bendy Amirite?

Blogger Scott C June 16, 2018 1:23 PM  

@105

Chris Hardwick's nerd persona is totally contrived. He was playing a dudebro back in the 90s when he hosted MTV Spring Break.

Blogger Nate73 June 16, 2018 5:20 PM  

Is there something about gammas and praising females with science Phds? I know a couple who are both PhDs and the guy is constantly praising his "hyperintelligent" and amazingly beautiful wife. Where's the line between standard delta rhetoric and gammaness?

Blogger Dirk Manly June 17, 2018 5:43 AM  

@43

"Holy hell, I think you've finally made me realize the ultimate tell of the gamma. "WELL, ACKSHUALLY..."


Someone starting out a declaration with "Well, actually..." has been grating on my ears for years.


Do a search for pages with the word "actually" in Wikipedia. Every use of it I've seen, it's as if the editor is being some sore of smart-aleck idiot, who thinks he needs to put the word "actually" in front of a true statement, or otherwise, who knows what people might think of it.

... As if the entire point of an encyclopedia is not already to document things that are ACTUALLY true.

Blogger Dirk Manly June 17, 2018 5:50 AM  

The worst part about a gamma-male trying to make a point by starting with the words, "Well, actually..." is that, without fail, his intonation is identical to a bubble-headed teenage girl.

WITHOUT EXCEPTION.

Blogger Dirk Manly June 17, 2018 5:51 AM  

@54

"Can females be gamma?"

Trigglypuff.

Blogger tuscanycircle June 17, 2018 6:33 AM  

Vox, I think your anti-gamma rule, while a good one, has a minor flaw. Their secret king belief prevents them from identiying as gammas, so they're unable to see the rule as applying to them. They will be unable to censor themselves, so you and your mods will need to ban them every time one reveals herself--er, himself.

Blogger Dirk Manly June 17, 2018 6:34 AM  

@103

"I'll reiterate my theory - that Gammas are created when something goes wrong and a 9 month old baby boy doesn't have a Testosterone spike so his brain develops as a female brain and can't cope with adult T-levels."

Let me give you some insight here... someone mentioned earlier Narcissistic Personality Disorder. I think that's a clear issue.
My young-adulthood was definitely gamma, until being in an infantry battalion gradually drove it out of me.

My father is over-the-top emotional, and when things go wrong, looks for someone, anyone, to blame. Not helped by the fact that he was steadily promoted within management at General Motors. At over 6 feet tall, my dad's rather physically imposing, and he's quick to anger, and was excessively violent with my brother and I, but mostly me. (Cue the Smothers Brothers...)

I once met a man who was a blue-collar worker under him, who, recognizing the similarity in our faces, told me what he would like to do to my dad if he ever found him in a dark alley.... with an undertone that I would make an acceptable substitute.(*)

At the same time, my school teachers year in and year out gushed over my ability to contribute commentary on nearly any subject (because I did a LOT of reading... and yes, I was athletic, too. But in high school, it wouldn't be uncommon for me to be carrying around 4 library books from class to class -- because I never knew what i would be in the mood to read until the boredom set in.

Anyways, so my dad was (and remains to this day), overly emotional and argumentative just for the sake of being in an argument (and I've seen him argue something with friends of mine, after taking the exact opposite position with me the previous week). But he's the model "technocrat"

While I do remember helping him with a brake-job on some drum brakes when I was around 10 years old, and he was the one who developed my skills for playing baseball starting at around 4 years old... and playing ice-hockey in the back yard when I was three, I really learned how to do "adult men" stuff from my uncle. He's the one who was the example that gave me the confidence to do my own car repairs.

Emotionally/practically ... my dad will assist me when I need support doing something... well... it's like this.... it's the equivalent of if I were reshingling my house, he would bring over his own ladder, help me to adjust it to the right length, steady it while I climb up with a package of shingles... and just as I drop the shingles onto the roof, he'll pull out the ladder, leaving me to fall forwards, and hang onto the edge of the roof by my fingertips, leaving me dangling until finally my grip fails and I fall to the ground.

And he wonders why I don't come to him for help.


(*) I completely disarmed the blue-collar guy with these words: "You just had to work for him for a couple of years -- try living your entire life under the same roof!"

Blogger Dirk Manly June 17, 2018 6:37 AM  

Oh, being that my Grandfather was an alcoholic, and my grandmother lived in complete denial about his effect on her children (Grandma: "I never hit you boys!" Dad:"Yeah, but you never protected us, either.") and some other things (although no suicide gestures, self-harm, or substance abuse issues -- Baptist church attendance throughout his entire life seems to have kept him away from that), he seems to me to be a clear-cut case of Borderline Personality Disorder.

Blogger Dirk Manly June 17, 2018 6:45 AM  

@105

> He's already been disavowed by the company, "Nerdist", he used to own


Just founding a company and naming it The Nerdist should be grounds for immediate summar execution, right there at the window where you file your Incorporation or Doing Business As paperwork.

Blogger Dirk Manly June 17, 2018 6:47 AM  

@106

>> The only thing that beats cheerleader is Victoria’s Secret model.

> But even then, only if their bendy Amirite?

Are you implying that there exists a Victoria's Secret model who isn't flexible?

Blogger Dirk Manly June 17, 2018 6:49 AM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger Dirk Manly June 17, 2018 6:50 AM  

@108

"Is there something about gammas and praising females with science Phds? I know a couple who are both PhDs and the guy is constantly praising his "hyperintelligent" and amazingly beautiful wife. Where's the line between standard delta rhetoric and gammaness?"

Salivating over a woman who excels in those areas which women find men desirable, while at the same time she utterly fails at feminine things.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts