ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2018 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Wednesday, June 06, 2018

Mailvox: the day she figured it out

Kudos and all, but the frightening thing about this email is the fact that this women genuinely and legitimately believed, for decades, that she was physically capable of going toe-to-toe with men. Thanks, Hollywood!
The day I figured it out

Not a natural athlete, but I did devote 7 years to martial arts back in my 30s.  3 to 4 times a week, excellent conditioning, but to be frank, I was horrible at sparring.  Think Barney Fife, vibrating and completely ineffective.  I hung in there, spurred on by too many martial arts movies and the media myth that a 120 lb. trained woman could take on a man in a fight.  And it was light touch sparring because of Insurance Risk.

So, there was one last special class to make that dark-colored belt; Punching/Kicking Class.  An all-day seminar where you were paired off with someone your size, they would hold a 6-inch-thick pad and you full contact punched and kicked them …then you would hold the pad and they would punch and kick.  Heady stuff, my Gi was snapping, there was a satisfying “thwack” sound, I was quite proud and kinda hoping for some bloody knuckles and a need to “tape up”.  Then it came time for me to hold the bag.  Now mind you, I was paired off with a small man, a short skinny ex-navy grunt, just my size.  He pulled off one full force punch and I was on my butt and there were tears on my face.  I got back up, took a deeper stance, and once again was back on the floor.  I kept trying but it was obvious to me I wasn’t helping this guy practice his punching and kicking at all.  So, I asked the instructor if I could just do the punching kicking practice but not hold the bag.  He took me for a walk outside the studio.  I have since learned that is a Bad Sign.  He explained to me the point of the class was being able to take the punching and kicking, the point was to be able to hold the bag, to be able to take the punch.  And I suddenly understood, it was basic physics really.  In my head, it was a scene out of a Beautiful Mind, with Vectors, Force Lines, and Angles appearing in red.  But it was just me with my mouth open going, “Huh”

Men are stronger than women.  Go figure.  It is basic physics; the bones are denser and the muscles are heavier.  And I realized this whole time, I had been a minnow swimming with sharks.  That most men could take out most women with a punch or two.  Heck, most men can take out another man with a sucker punch, but I am talking a face front fight; guy wins most every time.  And especially bigger men.  The fact I was so shocked told me a bunch about how naive I was and how much the media lied about this.  I suddenly had this whole new respect for most men; most of them were walking around with the ability to take down smaller folks; and they don’t.  They just plain don’t.  They hold doors open and walk on the dangerous side of the sidewalk and go out to check night time noises.  Basically IMHO most of guys in America are heroes.
I firmly believe that everyone, male and female, would benefit greatly from being physically beaten down at least once in their lives before their 18th birthday. It is a salutary experience.

Back in my fighting days, a girl I was dating joined our dojo for a while. After doing a drill that involved getting kicked repeatedly in the stomach, she was a bit wide-eyed and excited, and exclaimed, "I've never been hit in the stomach before!"

"Have you ever been hit in the face?" I asked her.

"No," she said. So, I hit her in the chin with a backfist hard enough to snap her head back, but not hard enough to knock her down.

"What did you do that for!" she demanded about 15 seconds later, once she stopped staggering around and got over the usual shock.

"Did you feel that disorientation, the way you couldn't quite believe that someone actually hit you in the face?"

"Well, yeah!" A mere two syllables, but spoken with deep passion and accompanied by an intense and narrow-eyed glare.

"See, that's normal. Everyone feels like that the first time they take a good shot to the head. Now you know what it feels like. Next time you get hit, you'll be ready for it, and you can fight your way through it."

She wasn't quite as appreciative of the lesson as I expected. It was strange, but the way she used to tell the story made me sound kind of like a psycho.

Labels: ,

118 Comments:

Blogger James Dixon June 06, 2018 1:48 PM  

> I firmly believe that everyone, male and female, would benefit greatly from being physically beaten down at least once in their lives before their 18th birthday. It is a salutary experience.

Only once? I should be so lucky. Mind you, I won my share, but still.

Blogger kurt9 June 06, 2018 1:50 PM  

Well, as the old saying goes: You can't learn it any younger.

Blogger Resident Moron™ June 06, 2018 1:51 PM  

Aye.

Three older brothers taught me a degree of circumspection not native to my character.

And also that pain isn't that bad that it's something to be avoided at all cost.

Blogger Stg58/Animal Mother June 06, 2018 1:58 PM  

My 4'8", 85 pound nine year old son is almost stronger now than my 5'9", 140 pound softball champ wife.

Blogger The Stygian June 06, 2018 2:07 PM  

My daughter has studied martial arts at the same school I have for 12 years. The first thing I taught her was she will not win a fight with a male. She shrugged at first, because early on she was the sparring champ for a number of years in point sparring. However, once we went to full contact sparring she soon realized her error. Women, need to wound/surprise men and run.

Blogger The Stygian June 06, 2018 2:10 PM  

Or exercise their second amendment rights.

Blogger Peaceful Poster June 06, 2018 2:11 PM  

Some daughters are stronger than their fathers.

E.g. Scalzi.


Blogger JohnofAustria June 06, 2018 2:12 PM  

My girls, 7 and 6, are already learning it's not wise to start physical altercations with their younger brothers, ages 3 and 2. We told them so, and then let them sort it among themselves most of the time.

Blogger pyrrhus June 06, 2018 2:13 PM  

My experience with jiu jitsu, which is a full contact sport, is that the pain is an important part of the experience and learning. You learn to keep a cool head regardless....

Blogger Redpill Angel June 06, 2018 2:21 PM  

Hollywood has been promoting this idea of the 105-lb. woman who can win a fight with a 175-lb. man, or any man, for the last 30 years. I teach art to a sweet, innocent homeschooled girl, age 13, 5'4" and about 100 lbs., and she truly believes that girls are just as strong as men, except their "muscles don't show." She actually said this to me, and I just shook my head and told her, No, sweetie, that's not true. She looked crestfallen. Girls are growing up believing this now.

Blogger El Rojo June 06, 2018 2:22 PM  

Martial arts films have been lying to their audiences for years.


Look at some of the past world records for men and women in other athletics events.

The marathon is the classic endurance test, and the records for men and women are 2.03.38 for men and 2.15.25 for women.

Looks really close, but then look at the size difference between the men and women. Men are still doing more with greater body mass.

The purest "raw strength" event in Track & Field is the shot put, in which the male record is 23.12m, the female 22.63m. Sounds very similar, except that the male shot weight is 16 lbs, the female 8.8 lbs.

If you look at weight lifting, another raw strength event which is interesting because there are several different classes according to body weight, the Olympic records for the combined "snatch and clean & jerk" go as follows (I've chosen the 69 kg body weight figure because that's the one category in which the weights of men and women are exactly the same):

Male, 69 kg body weight: 358 kg combined lift (789 lbs)
Female, 69 kg body weight: 286 kg combined lift (630 lbs)

The best women of equal mass can do is get within about 20% of the men.

And have any of you seen these female "athletes" ?

"Female" weightlifters sacrifice their femininity to close that gap - were talking some seriously hulked-out shemales...

MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing, and every physical sport out there has weight classes/female divisions for very good reasons.

Reasons based on real world experience.

Even in Olympic fencing where you have the sword foils which filter out a lot of the advantages of size, they still have men's and women's divisions.

In physical sports no matter how hard they train, sooner or later they will hit a physical wall vs men that they cannot overcome.

There are very few sports that women can compete on equal footing with men. Some firearms contests; Bench rest and trap shooting, most motorsport. Chess (in theory).

All of which do not require speed of movement vs men, or have a physical filter (like a racing car), where at a certain point the extra muscle a man can carry into the car doesn't make a difference.











Blogger Unknown June 06, 2018 2:25 PM  

@6

This is why the Hollywood portrayal of women beating up a team of trained people (see Agent May in Agents of Shield) is so false and damaging.

Your point is a good one, and it brings to mind several rhetorical arguments to use against the typical hoplophobe. "You want to take away the only tool that puts women on equal footing with men. Why do you hate women?"

Blogger NO GOOGLES June 06, 2018 2:30 PM  

Makes you wonder how much of the bad behavior of modern women is due to the fact that men are so much less likely to lay hands on a woman than in the past. I imagine quite a few women back in my grandfather's time acted with quite a bit more circumspection to avoid an earned back of the hand.

Blogger Zeroh Tollrants June 06, 2018 2:33 PM  

I firmly believe a healthy 9 year old boy could take me out, if we were fighting fairly.
But then, I was fist fighting by the time I was 14, and was never under any illusion that a much larger girl, or a slim, small guy couldn't lay me out.
I've had 7 concussions from being hit in the head, knocked unconscious. Not fun, or too smart, BTW.
I'm a middle aged woman now, much weaker than I ever was as a young fit girl, so I carry 24/7.
This letter only confirms my long held theory that all of these young women genuinely have been brainwashed by the culture to believe they stand a chance against a man, any man, and they are constantly putting themselves at risk of personal harm/death, due to it.
Just another day of sheer insanity, here in Clown World.

Blogger Mark Stoval June 06, 2018 2:33 PM  

This post and the thread remind me that the Colt 45 (I think) was called "the equalizer" because it was the device that made men and women equal.

Some of the women in the mountains were I came from sometimes had to protect the home place as the menfolk were off hunting. The Colt allowed them to do so; or so that was the story.

Mountain women are tough. But I never met one stupid enough to claim that the average woman could take on a man in a fight without a weapon.

Blogger Lazarus June 06, 2018 2:35 PM  

She wasn't quite as appreciative of the lesson as I expected. It was strange, but the way she used to tell the story made me sound kind of like a psycho.

(belly laugh)

Women, yes?

Blogger Zeroh Tollrants June 06, 2018 2:39 PM  

The Angelina Jolie movie, Salt, is my favorite example of this phenomenon.

Blogger Ken Prescott June 06, 2018 2:39 PM  

I have always advised my daughter to master the art of Mossberg Fu.

Blogger Redpill Angel June 06, 2018 2:39 PM  

El Rojo -- many of those female athletes actually have a y chromosome and a couple of testicles tucked away (although they might not even know it). Next is transgender athletes in women's competitions. That will be the end of women's sports, because even a castrated man on estrogen is bigger and stronger than a woman.

Blogger pyrrhus June 06, 2018 2:40 PM  

West Point has found that male cadets are slightly more than twice as strong as female cadets in the upper body...no chance of a fair fight in that situation

Blogger Humpty Dumpty #4464 June 06, 2018 2:43 PM  

All of which do not require speed of movement vs men, or have a physical filter (like a racing car), where at a certain point the extra muscle a man can carry into the car doesn't make a difference.

You obviously no nothing about motorsports.

Blogger Zeroh Tollrants June 06, 2018 2:43 PM  

Women beating men in chess, lol.
That's the rarest of unicorns.

That said, there a number of women that are better shooters than men.

Blogger pyrrhus June 06, 2018 2:43 PM  

"She wasn't quite as appreciative of the lesson as I expected. It was strange, but the way she used to tell the story made me sound kind of like a psycho."

Absolutely everything a little rough that men have to do in this world will be regarded by many women as psycho....Even threats that prevent a fight or crime are condemned by the SJWs....

Blogger Zeroh Tollrants June 06, 2018 2:43 PM  

100%.

Blogger Rabbi B June 06, 2018 2:44 PM  

You can't put in what God left out.

Blogger Stg58/Animal Mother June 06, 2018 2:46 PM  

OT: Only three congressmen showed up to the joint committee hearing yesterday to hear Priestap testify for seven hours.

Three.

Blogger James Dixon June 06, 2018 3:02 PM  

> That said, there a number of women that are better shooters than men.

While there's undoubtedly a degree of hyperbole involved, Annie Oakley probably was one of the best shooters of all time.

Blogger NO GOOGLES June 06, 2018 3:12 PM  

"Women beating men in chess, lol.
That's the rarest of unicorns."

Well, it's [i]technically[/i] possible. Chess ability is strongly correlated with IQ and while men outnumber women more than 4 to 1 at 150+ IQ, you could still have the rare very high IQ woman compete with equally high IQ (or near) men. Of course, the reality of it is that the amount of work it takes during youth to actually end up as a top 100 chess player excludes almost all women from reaching that level even if they were technically capable.

You're talking about kids that have been playing chess for a few hours a day on average since they were 5 or so, and then when you get to 12 or 13 there is a big change to actual competitive and serious tournaments instead of less competitive kids' tournaments. Most teens who have put in the time up til that point to hone their skills hit their teen years and realize they don't want to spend 3-4 hours a day and pretty much every weekend traveling and competing in tournaments.

The few who ARE willing to do that are players who love the competition itself and that weeds out 99.9% of female players regardless of ability.

Blogger Argus Bacchus June 06, 2018 3:13 PM  

@4

"My 4'8", 85 pound nine year old son..."

...could easily kick the crap out of Ben Shapiro.

Blogger RA June 06, 2018 3:22 PM  

There's that potential for violence that men have. We know without speaking. Which is why courtesy often takes precedence among us. We know it's important to defuse things quickly when we bump into each other at the bar or on the dance floor. We look each other in the eyes, I know and he knows.

But many women don't seem to have that awareness of male violence.

Blogger Cataline Sergius June 06, 2018 3:23 PM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger ar10308 June 06, 2018 3:24 PM  

I'm involved in HEMA/Historical Fencing, which is still in it's infancy as a sport. However, it has already become completely stratified with regards to men and women. You'll find the occasional skilled female with years of experience who will do decently against very novice men in a tournament, however that says more about the men, than it does the women.
The other big issue currently occurring is the pushing of women as instructors as supposed experts. There are a few women that are held as subject matter experts with regard to things like grappling while men with D2 Collegiate wrestling experience are ignored.

We have women in my local club that fight against guys in practice and usually get their floor wiped by us in practice and sparring, but they then go on to do very well in the Female Only tournaments.

Blogger Noah B The Savage Gardener June 06, 2018 3:27 PM  

A woman stands a reasonable chance against an attacker if she has a gun and he doesn't. A knife is a distant second, followed closely by the rape whistle.

Blogger tuberman June 06, 2018 3:30 PM  

Women are completely insane about this in the USA. About a third of the women I know really think they can fight evenly with men, and even after they've gotten over-the-hill. A sign of the absurd times.

Blogger ar10308 June 06, 2018 3:35 PM  

Only if that knife stays concealed until it is in the attackers throat.

Doing any knife drill with a disarmed man and a woman armed with a knife is akin to giving that man a knife.

Blogger Noah B The Savage Gardener June 06, 2018 3:36 PM  

@ar10308

Absolutely right. Surprise is critical to a woman successfully defending herself with a knife.

Blogger RB June 06, 2018 3:37 PM  

I bought my daughter a taser. Was that entirely chauvinistic of me? Or more accurately, my beautiful girlfriend ordered it for her after telling me she didn't think the pepper spray I bought her was reliable. I know a taser won't work in every scenario, but it could give her a chance to escape many situations. The chances of her packing heat are nil.

Blogger michaeloh59 June 06, 2018 3:44 PM  

At my gym we spar every Friday. One of the participants is a young lady @24, rather stocky of build and not a weakling. She is a parole officer and she trains in kickboxing and sometimes jiu jitsu against the eventuality that she should be attacked while conducting home visits with her sex offender clients. A month or so ago she was sparring with a skinny 16 y.o. kid who was taking it too easy on her. The guys told the kid that he had to go harder if she was to learn anything. So he kinda shrugged his shoulders and said "Ok". A few minutes later she had a bloody nose and was crying. Not because she was a sissy but because it was very frustrating for her to discover that the kid was too fast, too strong, and too mobile- that he could have laid her out at any time and there wasn't a thing she could do about it. A couple weeks later while rolling in jiu jitsu class with me she mentions something along the lines of "defending" herself if something goes off the rails during a home visit. I told her, pointing my fingers at her eyes, " you scratch their eyes out and run for the door. " This girl ain't no SJW, she's a country girl. But the mind frack must run deep because it doesn't appear that the mild whooping she got in sparring has taught the lesson that it ought. I am reminded that our host does frequently lay down some solid knowledge, such as when he said that chicks who fight think they can whoop men because men let them think that. In my limited experience that is exactly correct.

Blogger Wuzzums Fuzzums June 06, 2018 3:46 PM  

That story reminded me of this scene from Deadwood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Q7YRDL90E

Blogger pyrrhus June 06, 2018 3:49 PM  

@29 Yes, there are some good female players. The only one to almost crack the top 10 for awhile was Sophia Polgar. Currently none in the top 100...In general, they're weaker because poorer spatial ability and math ability.

Blogger Noah B The Savage Gardener June 06, 2018 3:52 PM  

RB @38 Here's a classic video demonstrating the real world effectiveness of a taser.

Blogger pyrrhus June 06, 2018 3:52 PM  

@39 Yes, real no holds barred self defense should involve going for the eyes, throat, and other sensitive places including the wrist...Of course, if they give you the choke or an arm bar, and you have training, that could end it as well.

Blogger Gianna June 06, 2018 3:57 PM  

I would be scared to fight most of the women in America. I have a friend (same height and weight as me) of African descent, while I always outrun her, there is no way I could win a fight with her. She has way more muscle mass than I do. Also crazy beats strong every time.

Blogger Nostromo June 06, 2018 3:59 PM  

When I was 15 my dad hit me across the head with a recurve bow for walking "too loud" in the woods. After I straightened up, I told him if he ever tried anything like that again, I'd kill him. Guess we both learned a lesson that day cause it was decades later that cancer killed him. But yes, everyone should be hit hard at least once to understand their place in the world.

Blogger Peter Gent June 06, 2018 4:00 PM  

I taught my daughter if she had to pull her gun on a guy to stop him from advancing, not to point it at his chest but at his balls and ask him if he wanted to keep them. Yes, she has a concealed carry permit.

Blogger Doug Cranmer June 06, 2018 4:00 PM  

Are we talking about spacebunny here. :)

Vox always the romantic.

Blogger RB June 06, 2018 4:14 PM  

Noah @42

That's not very promising. Although, she doesn't have one that fires projectiles, you press the button and apply it directly to the attacker. I told her to stick it directly in the neck if she ever had to use it. I have no idea how effective it is - I just figured it would be better than nothing and might give her time to get away. I hope it never comes to that. She's not a fighter, and not very tough.

Blogger Ceasar June 06, 2018 4:18 PM  

"She wasn't quite as appreciative of the lesson as I expected." lmao! They never are.

Blogger Pierre Truc June 06, 2018 4:18 PM  

Romanticization of violence can result in very good movies, but alas some people swallow the kool-aid. Women are sensitive to this of course, but also lots of dudes.

A woman I know almost got raped. She couldn't do anything, the attacker was much stronger. Forget about Marvel Superheroine shit, LOL. Fortunately, while he slammed her against a wall, he got distracted groping her and she hit his balls with her knee. I mean, she hit so hard she needed stitches afterwards (and she was wearing jeans). The dude passed out instantly.  It wasn't "you go girl" at all, she narrowly escaped, mostly due to luck.




Blogger RC June 06, 2018 4:19 PM  

"When I was 15 my dad hit me across the head with a recurve bow for walking "too loud" in the woods. After I straightened up, I told him if he ever tried anything like that again, I'd kill him." - Nostromo

He should have beat your ass right then and there.

Blogger Noah B The Savage Gardener June 06, 2018 4:19 PM  

@RB You might consider getting her interested in shooting with something like a suppressed .22 LR - low noise, low recoil, but lots of fun. If you get her comfortable shooting she might be much less hesitant to carry a gun.

Blogger RC June 06, 2018 4:20 PM  

"I taught my daughter if she had to pull her gun on a guy to stop him from advancing, not to point it at his chest but at his balls and ask him if he wanted to keep them. Yes, she has a concealed carry permit." Peter Gent

Peter, haven't you embarrassed yourself enough for one day?

Blogger Stg58/Animal Mother June 06, 2018 4:30 PM  

Moron alert

Blogger Hammerli280 June 06, 2018 4:46 PM  

ar10308: As with many other fighting arts, women can teach competently. Skill is skill, the fact that the men have more reach and muscle to put behind it doesn't matter when you're learning the skill alone.

Blogger Cubby8126 June 06, 2018 4:52 PM  

It seriously does help in many aspects to get punched in the face at least once. If nothing else it boosts confidence after, because you know you're not made of paper and won't crumple.

Blogger Pseudotsuga June 06, 2018 5:00 PM  

ar10308 wrote:I'm involved in HEMA/Historical Fencing, which is still in it's infancy as a sport. However, it has already become completely stratified with regards to men and women. You'll find the occasional skilled female with years of experience who will do decently against very novice men in a tournament, however that says more about the men, than it does the women.
Yes, this. You can see the differences by comparing YouTube videos of HEMA tournaments, looking at female vs. male tournaments. And if the male has had wrestling experience/ training, he has a distinct advantage over the males and females who do not.

I got into this discussion with my sister a while back, about her claim that women who take kickboxing lessons can defend themselves just fine. I told her if they've never been actually hit or kicked in the face, then they can't do it. They haven't learned the shock of a hard hit. (Same for men, but it's more likely that the man has learned to keep going through the pain.) She got all huffy about it and some of her white-knight soy-boy friends called me a couch-warrior, and so on. I just said whatever, realizing that the only thing that would change their minds would be an actual boot to the head.

Blogger ar10308 June 06, 2018 5:04 PM  

@Hammerli280: I'm of the general opinion that if you can't defend yourself against me, then whatever skill you're trying to teach me isn't valuable or you aren't the one to be teaching me.
I've found that I don't have much respect for Martial Arts teachers I can beat up.

Blogger RB June 06, 2018 5:05 PM  

@52 Noah - Nice thought but remote chance. She's been infected by a 'guns are bad' mother and other female relatives. Yes, choices have consequences, and I made a bad one long ago...but I won't get fooled again.

Blogger James Dixon June 06, 2018 5:06 PM  

> I have no idea how effective it is - I just figured it would be better than nothing and might give her time to get away.

Moderately effective is probably the best way to say it. Of course most areas that make it difficult for you to get a gun have outlawed their use too.

Blogger weka June 06, 2018 5:11 PM  

Salt used hand grenades and explosives. Despite being a spetzatz badass. No, probably beacabe of that. Russians are taught their limitations, and thus to use waeponsw

Blogger GAHCindy June 06, 2018 5:16 PM  

I was lamenting to my mother how unfair it is that my husband, who spends a couple extra full days a week in bed (chronic illness) and gets no exercise at all, should be so much stronger than I, who am fit and active. My mother was shocked to hear that he's stronger than me. He weighs 175. I weigh 115. My mother, in nearly 60 years of life, had never realized that men are actually stronger than women. That's nearly all men, compared to nearly all women. How do you get to be that old without realizing that?

Blogger GAHCindy June 06, 2018 5:18 PM  

Lamenting, I should add, because I had to bother him with some heavy lifting while he had a headache, not because I just go around hating how strong men are all day. It's nice to have a man around the house. :-)

Blogger Ingot9455 June 06, 2018 5:20 PM  

Two students I'm affiliated with did point-sparring with knives, one male, one female, at a public competition. (They were the only two who signed up for the knife competition.)

The first point, whack! The female lashed out and tagged the male full force with the solid plastic knife across the face guard, forehead to chin.
Then the male realized that he'd misjudged range and speed and got serious. Proceeded to out-point the female about three to one and won the match.

If it was a real fight in some way? She would have gotten in the first blow and it may or may not have been telling (probably depending on if she nicked the eye). But then she would have taken much more damage once the male realized he had to get serious.

When asked, he said, "I realized it was like fighting a housecat."

Blogger ar10308 June 06, 2018 5:20 PM  

@Pseudotsuga: "And if the male has had wrestling experience/ training, he has a distinct advantage over the males and females who do not."

Depends on the context. I'm of the opinion that points should only be scored with the sword. I'll give them the conditioning and athletic advantage over most sword nerds. But I generally think most throws and grappling should not be permitted due to lots of safety issues like lack of weight classes and proper training.

If you want to grapple and wrestle, go for it. Against people who want to grapple and wrestle.
Otherwise, other strikes like knees, elbows, thai kicks and punches should be permitted to counter the grappler experts who want to charge in after a high bind without fear of additional attack and solid confidence that their opponent doesn't have as much grappling/wrestling experience.
It genuinely degrades the quality of sword fighting and most grappler-specialists are lousy sword fighters, so they default to grappling.

Blogger GAHCindy June 06, 2018 5:28 PM  

Bad advice, Peter Gent. You should have told her just shoot. Warning him and waiting for a response will get her killed.

Blogger Daniel Paul Grech Pereira June 06, 2018 5:34 PM  

"Martial arts classes back in my 30s"

Whoa this is why I have a gun to protect myself and my dog.

Blogger Colin Flaherty's baby momma June 06, 2018 5:40 PM  

If women are equal, why can't they compete with men in sports and chess?
Women need their own leagues because they are smaller, weaker, dumber.
The fact so many women believe they are equal, further proves how naive, vain, irrational, delusional they are.

Female intelligence is mostly memory & mimicry.
They are severely deficient in logic and creativity.

Women are more similar to children than to men.

Blogger Robert Coble June 06, 2018 5:46 PM  

I trained and taught martial arts and self-defense for over 17 years. My wife was in one of the self-defense classes. When instructed to perform one of the techniques, she gave me "Oh, I could never do THAT to anyone." I slapped her hard across the face. Suddenly, she wanted to rip my head off. It didn't change the body dynamics, but at least it got her out of the "poor lil old me would nevah do anything to hurt someone else, no matter what" mindset. She still had my handprint on her face at the end of the class. She also had no illusions that she was Billy Jean Badass: she wanted a pistol to carry concealed.

Blogger VD June 06, 2018 6:04 PM  

As with many other fighting arts, women can teach competently. Skill is skill, the fact that the men have more reach and muscle to put behind it doesn't matter when you're learning the skill alone.

No, they can teach the basic techniques and kata, but that's it. They can't teach actual fighting, because you have to actually have done it in order to teach it. Teachers without actual fighting experience always teach bad lessons because they don't know what works and what doesn't.

Sure, go ahead, lead with that rear hand....

Blogger Noah B The Savage Gardener June 06, 2018 6:18 PM  

I like the part about how the dojo strung her along and took her money for 7 years before she got the opportunity to hit and get hit.

Blogger Robert What? June 06, 2018 6:33 PM  

I was beaten down several times in elementary school, so I guess I should consider myself lucky ;-) Mainly because I was a pipsqueak then, or maybe because I was a jackass. I can't remember which - maybe both. Now I'm 6'2" so no longer a pipsqueak, but I'm pretty sure I'm still a jackass.

Blogger Cecil Henry June 06, 2018 6:36 PM  

It is important to realize that this kind of naivety and socially ingrained thinking by women is not unique to this category.


Women are easily influenced by such social convention to believe all kinds of blatant lies without the slightest thought.

Many women are shocked that men really AREN'T the same as women.

They believe equality just is (because envy justifies it), that diversity is wonderful, that men's work is not harder than women's, that a woman's body is her property, but a man's wallet belongs to everyone (because 'caring')


There are women I know and love very much, who yes, are just this foolish, even 20 minutes after learning their mistake yet again. ITs shocking.

Blogger A rebel without a General June 06, 2018 6:58 PM  

Your new name is henceforth Vox "Punches Women Every" Day.

Blogger Ominous Cowherd June 06, 2018 7:02 PM  

Colin Flaherty's baby momma wrote:Women are more similar to children than to men.

Your wife is the senior teenager in the family.

Blogger El Rojo June 06, 2018 7:03 PM  

Humpty Dumpty #4464 wrote:All of which do not require speed of movement vs men, or have a physical filter (like a racing car), where at a certain point the extra muscle a man can carry into the car doesn't make a difference.

You obviously no nothing about motorsports.


As much as you random internet dude.

Nit pick much? Note I said Most motorsport, not all.

Reading comprehension is your friend.

Certain sports like motorcross, and other offroad events where you really have to manhandle the bike/car. Hell no.

But Formula, prototype and sportscar racing? Not an issue.

Its more of a numbers game. Most young girls just aren't interested in karting at a young age to filter up to the lower formulas in significant enough numbers to generate a great talent.

Blogger El Rojo June 06, 2018 7:04 PM  

That and virtually all women totally underestimate how nasty men are to each other in competitive environments. Usually when they get a taste, that's when all the cries of 'boys club' and 'because I'm a girl' #sexism, start.

Blogger Brick Hardslab June 06, 2018 7:52 PM  

She shouldn't feel too bad about her ignorance, Razib Khan was stunned at the strength differences between men and women. Presumably a science type with HBD interests should have known.

Blogger CheekyBird June 06, 2018 8:05 PM  

". Cecil Henry June 06, 2018 6:36 said
Women are easily influenced by such social convention to believe all kinds of blatant lies without the slightest thought"

So hold up there cowboy. My dad always said there may be reasons but no excuses. The fact that I was oblivious and unaware is on me. But I posit to you, where in my environment was I being told anything else but that "men and women are equal? not in school, not in the books I read or the movies/TV I watched. I had no other data points from which to form a competing theory. I suggest that many forces in society were going out of their way to lie about it and hide the truth. And frankly, it was pretty cool to think if I just trained hard enough I could take a guy in a fight.
Perhaps look at this another way; consider a teenage boy flush with hormones, thinking he can take his dad or older brother. Hopefully the truth comes to him swiftly in the form of a physical re-education. That doesn't make him without thought or easily influenced,does it?

Blogger Cecil Henry June 06, 2018 8:34 PM  

@79:

With all due respect, that answer exactly proves my point.

No social convention or wishful thinking makes most males believe such things for more than a short time of reflection and testing the claims. NOt years!!

I saw through it quickly, and also why so many had an interest in NOT seeing such lies, and even more benefit in pretending to believe them.

All the movies etc in the world only proved that there is an agenda that just ONE test should have shown to be false. That lack of curiosity and questioning is unfortunately far more typical in women.


But alas, they persist in believing ... especially when someone else is subsidizing the costs of such belief.


Eve will lead you out of the garden EVERY time.

Forewarned.

Blogger SirHamster June 06, 2018 8:35 PM  

CheekyBird wrote:I had no other data points from which to form a competing theory. I suggest that many forces in society were going out of their way to lie about it and hide the truth.

Which they did by controlling social convention to offer blatant lies.

Don't take it personally. It's a true generalization.

Blogger Michael Maier June 06, 2018 8:39 PM  

She wasn't quite as appreciative of the lesson as I expected. It was strange, but the way she used to tell the story made me sound kind of like a psycho.

This is one of Vox' ALL TIME BEST quotes.

Another: "Not only would I throw out the baby with the bath water, I'd release the dingoes to make sure."

Blogger tz June 06, 2018 9:00 PM  

There is a very common story of rape victims going to a similar self defense class and hitting a man in one of those padded red suits that might asa well be a cement bridge support.

The thinking ones go CCW the first thing the next day.

Since I've been laid off, I'm glad. The Corp sponsored Self Defense Lessons. The Banner is worth more words than in a typical Novella which I recognized at the time.

Blogger tz June 06, 2018 9:03 PM  

Do explore the site, but I wouldn't suggest doing so with a full glass of any beverage, or at least insuring it was all swallowed before following a link, lest a guffaw spew chardonay across the room.

Blogger Colin Flaherty's baby momma June 06, 2018 9:12 PM  

Ominous Cowherd wrote: Your wife is the senior teenager in the family.

Wife/Mother has a distinct status from children,
but your frame more or less describes responsibilities.

Blogger tz June 06, 2018 9:13 PM  

can't resist one more link here and an excerpt. (swallow warning)

Can I choose to sit out portions of the workshop if I feel triggered?

Yes. This workshop is 100% opt-in. If at any time you don’t feel comfortable you can choose to watch instead of participate, or excuse yourself. If you have specific concerns, please let us know before the workshop and we’ll do our best to accommodate you.

If I'm not comfortable working with a male instructor, are there other options?

Yes. Every workshop is co-taught with female instructors or teaching assistants. Our opt-in approach allows space for you to choose how you wish to participate, and with which instructor or assistant.


I won't bother asking about transgender.
Only just said a prayer of thanksgiving that I'm no longer there, nor employed where they did the Mojo Jojo Dojo for the emPowered Puff Girls.

Blogger Felix Bellator June 06, 2018 9:16 PM  

There is a reason for weight classes in combative sports.

Blogger tz June 06, 2018 9:17 PM  

@70 - I think they might be competent at mud or jello wrestling.

Blogger CheekyBird June 06, 2018 9:33 PM  

Yeah, the whole decades thing freaks me out too. To have been so wrong for so long. Humbling. And also Yikes!

Blogger bob kek mando - ( Creepy Joe Biden always asks for consent before changing your baby's diaper ) June 06, 2018 9:47 PM  

7. Peaceful Poster June 06, 2018 2:11 PM
E.g. Scalzi.


if Scalzi were a Man, this might be relevant to the discussion.


11. El Rojo June 06, 2018 2:22 PM
or have a physical filter (like a racing car), where at a certain point the extra muscle a man can carry into the car doesn't make a difference.



you have no idea what conditions are like inside a race car.

"resting" heart rate for a driver is over 150 bpm in Nascar. it's higher yet in F1.

g-loading. the brain is also no small portion of the equation, look up the caloric burn rate for Chess Grand Masters in tournament play. racing is a constant exercise in calculation and forecasting and reaction.

women can be competitive with men over a 1/4 mile drag strip pass. once you get to 50+ laps, i've never seen a woman who impressed on a short track oval.


76. El Rojo June 06, 2018 7:03 PM
Its more of a numbers game. Most young girls just aren't interested in karting at a young age to filter up to the lower formulas in significant enough numbers to generate a great talent.



FAIL.

it only takes a single competent woman.

the best they've got was Danica ( actually Guthrie on a percent results basis, but no one in Current Year recognizes that ), and "competent" is not an adjective that would have been applied to any man demonstrating her capabilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl_kFb2993Y

Blogger Azure Amaranthine June 06, 2018 10:52 PM  

"My mother, in nearly 60 years of life, had never realized that men are actually stronger than women. That's nearly all men, compared to nearly all women. How do you get to be that old without realizing that?"

Sometimes is's amusing to pick up and carry around a 100+ pound object for a few minutes after watching a "particular someone" with their head in the clouds struggle to move it. My younger brother would probably make some heads explode by doing that with 200+ pound objects, as the gymn rat he is.

"Your wife is the senior teenager in the family."

That... is actually very accurate for non man-child families.

"But Formula, prototype and sportscar racing? Not an issue."

Why don't you ask NASCAR about that one? They'll slap you upside the head and call you an idiot.

"Its more of a numbers game."

Nigh everything is a numbers game if you want to disingenuously hedge like that.

"With all due respect, that answer exactly proves my point.

No social convention or wishful thinking makes most males believe such things for more than a short time of reflection and testing the claims."


He's right. Even a surge of hormones will only cloud the judgement for a few minutes. Pretty much all of the men I'm aware of walk around considering TV waif-fu to be comedy. Some of us are actually surprised that any women fall for it at all because it's so obviously absurd.

The ones that aren't aware make the average soyboy ashamed of his hefty soy deficit.

E.G. Scalzi, who has his grown male characters raped by women.

Blogger X Marks The Spot June 06, 2018 10:57 PM  

2nd Amendment FTW?

Blogger flyingtiger June 06, 2018 11:59 PM  

I have never been beaten down. My dad said that if you stand up to bullies you will see what cowards they are. He was right. They run away from me. The few that stood were knocked down by one punch. I tried to start a fight in a few biker bars. they were too cheerful and had a sense of humor. I do not feel my life is complete because I have not been beaten down.

Blogger tublecane June 07, 2018 12:16 AM  

"most of them were walking around with the ability to take down smaller folks; and they don't. They just plain don't."

That's really not that big a deal. Women are around children a lot, and under a certain age they can do anything they want with them. Most don't get violent.

What's really tough about being male is the hormones. And the fact that we live with a tiger in our pants. Also, that society doesn't give a crap about most of us.

Blogger tublecane June 07, 2018 12:23 AM  

@11- "Chess (in theory)"

In theory it's possible for a woman to beat a man in any competition, if for instance the man's heart spontaneously exploded before he could finish. But what are the odds?

Certain males have the intellectual advantage in chess to match their physical advantages elsewhere.

Blogger justaguy June 07, 2018 12:29 AM  

Too many martial arts studios are just dance studios. They teach the forms and other dance moves. It is a big shock when one goes from a dance studio to one where they actually hit and fight. As VD said, it is also the only way to learn because when the force of an actual punch or kick happens, the dance doesn't work.

Blogger Wynn Lloyd June 07, 2018 12:29 AM  

You're a good person for caring for your husband through that.

Blogger tublecane June 07, 2018 12:31 AM  

Although I'm of slightly above-average height and weight, I have no real fight training and have no special athletic ability. Like I assume most men, I walk around "sizing people up," wondering if I could take them. With men I usually can't be sure, but I'm certain I could beat the crap out of every woman I have ever met.

How do women not realize this? I dunno. Presumably they don't think about it.

Blogger Brick Hardslab June 07, 2018 1:16 AM  

Worst beating I ever took was a fight I won. I didn't think about it much at the time except to be glad I won. Now look back almost twenty years later and think I'd have to work a lot harder to win.

Blogger Angantyr June 07, 2018 1:19 AM  

12. Unknown
"Your point is a good one, and it brings to mind several rhetorical arguments to use against the typical hoplophobe. "You want to take away the only tool that puts women on equal footing with men. Why do you hate women?""


@15. Mark Stoval
"This post and the thread remind me that the Colt 45 (I think) was called "the equalizer" because it was the device that made men and women equal.

Some of the women in the mountains were I came from sometimes had to protect the home place as the menfolk were off hunting. The Colt allowed them to do so; or so that was the story.

Mountain women are tough. But I never met one stupid enough to claim that the average woman could take on a man in a fight without a weapon. "
==========================================================
Excellent points. One thing I would add is a theory of mine, that the whole womens' suffrage/rights/equality etc. movements would never gotten off the ground without the advent of reliable, repeating firearms (i.e. Colt's revolvers). Anyone that relies on others to defend them becomes, on some level, personal property of those who do the defending.

Blogger Azure Amaranthine June 07, 2018 2:01 AM  

Anyone who relies on anyone else to do anything, really, unless they're trading something else for it.

Blogger Gloriam Deo June 07, 2018 2:30 AM  

@100 women are going to find that even guns arent enough, however, when shit really kicks off. in a mostly homogenous nation or a nation with a massively strong government, violence is kept to a small enough level that a woman with a gun really can defend herself. if the countryside is being raided by red legs or aztecs, that changes. the day is coming when reality returns in full force.

Blogger Harambe June 07, 2018 3:29 AM  

James Dixon wrote:> That said, there a number of women that are better shooters than men.

While there's undoubtedly a degree of hyperbole involved, Annie Oakley probably was one of the best shooters of all time.


My wife definitely is a better precision shot than I am. She's a natural too. First time she ever shot a handgun was a 4" .357 and she did a much tighter group than I did. She won a trap competition at our local club once too. there were 30 odd people who took part. I came in 3rd.

I do console myself with the fact that I'm a much better speed shooter (steel challenge and IPSC) than she is. But I know I should never give her the chance to line up a shot if we ever go Mr and Mrs Smith on each other.

Blogger SQT June 07, 2018 4:16 AM  

Oh yeah- this was me once. I did martial arts for about 15 years- and I was good. I sparred a lot with guys much bigger than me and held my own. *But* the best guy I ever fought was about 2" shorter than me and kicked my ass. He was an Army guy who was a former gymnast- and he was a total badass.

I got lucky and got a kick to his head (with our gear on) and I think he was irritated because he was going easy on me. Soon after he swept my feet out from under me and caught me before I hit the ground. Man, I loved that guy. Most fun I ever had sparring.

Long story short- most guys want us to succeed in defending ourselves and will be gentle when tying to teach us. But it has a way of giving us a false sense of security. I love the guys who didn't let me win and taught me how to fight dirty so I could run away if I needed to.

Blogger Harambe June 07, 2018 4:29 AM  

Don't worry. Most male martial artists can't fight either. I'm looking at the Kung Fu dweebs and their ilk (not to be confused with the Dread Ilk who can AND WILL kick your ass).

Blogger Dire Badger June 07, 2018 4:46 AM  

If you are within 6 feet or so of a woman, it doesn't matter how good of a shot she is... your reactions are better, and unless you are stupid you will have her gun.

A gun is better than nothing for a woman, but the only real defense is to have a big, strong, violent man protecting you. Or to run like hell screaming your head off hoping a big strong man will protect you.

Of course, if you treat big, strong men like crap, don't expect them to protect you... hell, they might even join in the fun.

Blogger Roger Hill June 07, 2018 7:40 AM  

"I firmly believe that everyone, male and female, would benefit greatly from being physically beaten down at least once in their lives before their 18th birthday. It is a salutary experience."

I had the embarrassing experience of an old fashion "boys on a playground" butt whooping with all my friends there to witness it. I was as scrawny and uncoordinated as a 14 year old boy could be. And when the short, stout 10 year old from a local biker family got a bit too lippy, I decided to make threats to silence him. My threats were put to the test when he came right at me. That kid was strong and it didn't take 30 seconds before knew I made a big mistake. I made a mental note: Just because you think the other guy will back down, doesn't mean he will back down. It took a long time to live down that afternoon.

Blogger Redpill Angel June 07, 2018 8:13 AM  

Women have some childlike characteristics because they were designed to take care of children. Also, when considering the foolishness of women today thinking they can take down a man, remember that they have nothing else, despite all their feminist "pride." All womanly strengths have been stripped away, and pretending to be masculine is all they have. Also remember that women, no matter how much they protest, are compliant and followers. If there are no men to follow, they will follow whoever talks loudest.

Blogger Johnny June 07, 2018 8:45 AM  

"Also remember that women, no matter how much they protest, are compliant and followers. If there are no men to follow, they will follow whoever talks loudest."

Along with sometimes a confidence issue, if things go badly they want somebody else to take the blame. Thus in leadership positions they are often reluctant to admit they are the leader.

The women who are genuinely independent by nature don't need feminism, and the tend to see it as a distraction in there personal life even if they are otherwise supportive. Feminism or big government is the leadership replacement for men generally, which is why it is necessary to deprecate men.

Blogger ace June 07, 2018 10:32 AM  

I had an ex once who implied that she thought she was my physical equal, since we were of a similar height. At the time I thought this was too silly to even address, and didn't respond either way.

Blogger Dirk Manly June 07, 2018 11:57 AM  

@42

"RB @38 Here's a classic video demonstrating the real world effectiveness of a taser."

Pepper spray is FAR more effective.

Blogger David Wright June 07, 2018 2:06 PM  

For a bad ass female warrior watch the trailer for Hotel Artemis.
Rex Reed hates it as much as only he can.

http://observer.com/2018/06/total-garbage-hotel-artemis-jodie-foster-worst-movie-of-the-year/

Blogger Pat Haney June 07, 2018 6:12 PM  

A while back I took a Krav Maga class with my daughter. On of those groupon deals. Learned a bunch. Specifically, when I was sparring with a woman, there was nothing she could do to stop a 6' 260lbs power lifting oaf like me. Weight classes weren't thought of, I guess.

Then I sparred with dudes far taller, far larger than me and I was their bitch.

I couldn't help thinking some of these women were completely deluding themselves. Spin-kick-hero-chicks are a hollywood creation.

Blogger Watchu talkin bout Willis June 07, 2018 6:20 PM  

I once got into a tussle with a shoplifter. 15-year-old kid, probably outweighed me a good 50 lbs, and at least 3 inches taller. The only goal was keeping him from leaving until the cops got there. He kept pushing, trying to bull past me. He was in total panic mode. At one point he threw a clumsy swing at me, hitting me in the side of the head as I moved to avoid it. I never threw a punch at him, although I would have been justified after he swung at me.

This was a few years back. Here I am, a chubby, 45-year old, with no fighting skills whatsoever other than schoolyard brawls from 30 years before. I was concealed carrying, but it never escalated to the point I felt the need to draw on him. All the exits were blocked, he wasn't going anywhere and the cops would be there soon. However, my adrenaline was pumped up -- I didn't feel the effects of being pushed or punched until a good hour later.

Afterwards, my boss said he was worried: Not that I would get hurt, but that I was going to hurt this kid. Apparently I gave off a vibe.

The boss's wife was mad at me, however, because I had the temerity to call the kid a "pussy" later. How dare I save their business money and use a profanity!

From that point on if someone shoplifted there, I didn't give a crap.

Blogger Azure Amaranthine June 07, 2018 9:41 PM  

"Pepper spray is FAR more effective."

I'm pretty sure one of the prongs got caught in the guy's clothing and so did not connect. Seeing as the guy was partially unclothed on his upper body, that does not inspire confidence.

As for pepper spray, yeah, it's a lot more reliable. You've only got ~2% failure rate, because about 2% of the population has no reaction to it at all. Might as well spray water from a spray bottle in their face. I got to see one of those guys up close when I was involved in SRF Bravo training in which all of us got sprayed. He just kind of shook his head and said "that's all"? While the rest of us turned into red-eyed, red-faced snot fountains with great difficulty opening our eyes.

"Spin-kick-hero-chicks are a hollywood creation."

Waifu meant waif-fu before it ever became a sappy mispronunciation of "wife" with a Japanese accent. See River Tam from Firefly for one of the earliest examples I'm aware of.

Blogger Dirk Manly June 08, 2018 3:34 AM  

@114

"
I'm pretty sure one of the prongs got caught in the guy's clothing and so did not connect. Seeing as the guy was partially unclothed on his upper body, that does not inspire confidence."

And he was just wearing a t-shirt which was half falling apart. What if the situation were in a cooler climate, and he was wearing a sweat-shirt, or a wool sweater.

Or he was a biker wearing leathers.


Tazer only works if BOTH electrodes make good contact with the skin.

The best of all worlds for non-deadly force:

10% Pepper spray/90% CS with UV dye mixed in.

I used it once, and the results are immensely satisfying....for me... not the moron who thought it was a funny joke to grab my head and then throat, as I was walking out of a bar...and TWICE thought that MY demand to unhand me was a joke. Yeah, well, joke was on him.

Blogger James Dixon June 08, 2018 8:48 AM  

> Tazer only works if BOTH electrodes make good contact with the skin.

The better stun guns I've seen have relatively sharpened contacts to penetrate clothing. Good leather would probably stop them though. They do required actual physical contact while being held, so they're not ideal, but if they do make contact they're fairly effective.

Blogger Michael Maier June 08, 2018 11:20 PM  

I had fun pinning down an Ex-GF once. She was shocked she was so helpless against me. I thought it was funny as Hell. She was scared, I think.

Good times.

Blogger Angantyr June 09, 2018 6:35 PM  

@12 and @15
Here's a good meme that captures these ideas:
http://rebelalliancememefactory.blogspot.com/2018/06/opening-salvos.html

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts