ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2018 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Sunday, July 01, 2018

I hate video

I really, really do. I mean, I understand it is necessary to reach a broader, post-literate audience, and I am committed to mastering the medium eventually, but I genuinely do not understand how these morons can so confidently, and so publicly, take the absurd positions they do.
Κέννυ Αντονέσκου
All you seem to do is just say "this won't work because its not applicable to X" and other statements that you do not back up with logic, reason, evidence, etc. Maybe your brain-dead followers won't challenge what you are saying but I will, unsubscribing from you because you are obviously a pseudo-intellectual who constantly brags about how you have super high IQ when its clear you are not high IQ.
Perhaps if he was able to read, or obtain material from some other medium, he would understand that I reliably back up my assertions in what is generally considered to be comprehensive detail. He doesn't seem to be aware that there is considerably more information available beyond that which is presented on YouTube in the Darkstreams.

It's like someone told these morons that all you have to do is say the magic words and declare that it seems like someone doesn't back up a statement with logic, reason, and evidence, and this will suffice to not only disprove the statement, but also permanently disqualify the source. He quite clearly doesn't understand that saying X won't work because it's not applicable to Y is, in fact, a logical syllogism. I really wish he was telling the truth about unsubscribing and not watching future videos, but we all know what the chances of that are.

Labels: ,

87 Comments:

Blogger Sun Xhu July 01, 2018 1:02 PM  

Oh noes! I bet he won't sleep with you, either...

Blogger Anno Ruse July 01, 2018 1:11 PM  

I hate video too. Why would I want to look at a guy say words when I can just read those words? I appreciate that you provide limited transcripts here.

Blogger Stg58/Animal Mother July 01, 2018 1:14 PM  

I wonder what Greeky McGreekFace's position on JBP is.

Blogger Patrick Wilson July 01, 2018 1:17 PM  

Yes, have to agree with you about video.

Blogger marco moltisanti July 01, 2018 1:21 PM  

This seems like as good a time as any ask this, so here goes. Can anyone recommend basic sources that detail how behavioral differences in different populations are influenced by genetics? Something that a layman can understand, if there is such a thing. I'm asking because of a discussion I had here months ago where some regular commenters said, if I understood correctly, that genetic differences are so important that a German baby taken to England right after birth and raised in an English family speaking no German with no contact with anyone in Germany would still have significant noticeably German traits as an adult, in spite of there being no more than a few millenia separating the English and the Germans genetically.

Please, give me some sources to read. Or if it's a question of the science being too complicated for a layman, even telling me that would be helpful.

Blogger R Doom July 01, 2018 1:26 PM  

One thing to consider, however, is that you're trying to reach new people, and are doing so with each new video.

Yes, you documented what you said in an earlier video, and in your blog, many times...but in the 2 minute video, you just say it.

Maybe you could start including some links to your video, documenting the things you say, with a brief description of what's being documented with the link.

And approach each video with "ok, I'm now talking to people who have never heard of me before, or of any of the things I've said."

It's one thing I noticed with radio interviews, is I literally couldn't take something I said before the last commercial break as "information the listener has."

Blogger R Doom July 01, 2018 1:27 PM  

er, links WITH your video.

Blogger Stg58/Animal Mother July 01, 2018 1:30 PM  

Marco,

Anonymous Conservative and Stefan Molyneux are good places to start.

Blogger VD July 01, 2018 1:32 PM  

Maybe you could start including some links to your video, documenting the things you say, with a brief description of what's being documented with the link.

Sure, in my copious spare time. What project would you like me to drop in order to save morons the laborious task of typing a few words into Google?

Blogger S. Misanthrope July 01, 2018 1:37 PM  

Don’t bother, no one follows those links.

Blogger David The Good July 01, 2018 1:38 PM  

Yeah. I have given up arguing with a lot of the video commenters on my channel. If they come in with insults, I just ban them. They say the same things again and again. Read my books before you say "you can't compost that!!!" No awareness.

Blogger cheddarman July 01, 2018 1:38 PM  

Vox, do you hate video more than you hate some random person telling you what to do? Asking for a friend.

Blogger Zizzy Balluba July 01, 2018 1:40 PM  

its the audio in the video

most people don't watch, they listen

Blogger Sentient Spud July 01, 2018 1:42 PM  

@6 not worth the time to include referencing with commenters of this caliber. The inability to grasp basic logic precludes understanding of any subsequent illustrations.

"4 is not a prime number."

"But what about turquoise?"

You don't explain the difference. You move on.

Blogger Blume July 01, 2018 1:43 PM  

this is true. I followed the links the other day on a dr. layman video and game back to argue and immediately found that no one else knew their was a substantive rebuttal to the video's argument in the third link and a better study of the same phenomenon in the fourth. I am sure the host knew since it was a let's spark some debates video.

Blogger Al K. Annossow July 01, 2018 1:49 PM  

There is limited utility to adding detailed backup to video. It would merely transfer the arguments to being about the cited sources. Unless there is back and forth discussion, like in the blog comments, the results of insulting disagreement are almost the same.

Many people want video because they want someone they trust to help them navigate the issues. All of the conflicting opinions and conflicting cited sources overwhelm them. And video adds the nonverbal aspect of communication to help them take in the message and judge the confidence of the speaker.

And even people who can navigate the issues for themselves like to have the brief assurances that they have arrived at the same conclusions that others have. Also, sometimes people kinda know something but can't really lay out and verbalize the issue; they need someone to help them with the words.

Many people appreciate Vox's efforts and for different reasons. Thanks Vox.

Blogger Avalanche July 01, 2018 1:52 PM  

@5 Marco, try: Defensive Racism: An Unapologetic Examination of Racial Differences by Edgar J. Steele (from 2004) (who was trapped by a fed informant and thrown into jail where he died. Superb book. Well-referenced. Well-written.

If you want even more/deeper detail: David Duke's My Awakening is an EXCELLENT primer -- yes yes, lots of baggage thrown onto him over the years (and it was published back in 1998)! In my view the book doesn't go far enough -- but for its time, and with the deep referencing David used throughout, it's ... beyond eyeopening!

Blogger Duke Norfolk July 01, 2018 2:03 PM  

Yeah, I don't know how you (and others) do it, Vox. It would drive me insane trying to deal with the average YouTube viewer. Bad enough on a blog.

Blogger Nate July 01, 2018 2:05 PM  

Preach preacher. If we must resort to video to reach these cretins then we must consider the possibility that they are not worth reaching at all.

Blogger Dane July 01, 2018 2:05 PM  

The more things change the more they stay the same. A lot of people don't want to change their minds. Are happy in the "truth" they've constructed and vehemently fight to maintain despite contrary evidence.

They made up their minds and are upset that you don't agree with them.
Sadly that is the majority of people. Its really no wonder how an elite few ruled over the thronging masses for centuries. The failure of democracy is not an indictment of the system of government but rather the people for their failure to support it.

Blogger Al K. Annossow July 01, 2018 2:15 PM  

Dane wrote:They made up their minds and are upset that you don't agree with them.
AND every one of them thinks the public person owes the dissenter a chance to make their point on the popular platform because they themselves could not build an audience on their own merit.

Blogger Looking Glass July 01, 2018 2:18 PM  

Video has to be understood in the context it works in the modern era. It's a replacement for conversation, not a replacement for written text. That's what trips up most that are used to either Movies, TV News or the CNN-era of Cable.

The operational effect, especially of the less-scripted videos, is that the watcher can leverage their native ability to judge the nature of the person talking. Within 15s, you know if you're going to listen to what the person has to say. While it is persuasion based, it's really about Trust Systems. Modern production values are such that they can fake everything in a photograph, thus what we're seeing the natural response to that. People respond to someone that's "authentic" to their understanding.

We talk about "The Donald" as Trump's wrestling persona, but it's the same approach. The best at the current video medium do what the Brits call "presenting". It's halfway between a WWE character and just their own personality, turned up to 12. Everything about the reactions & interactions are authentic, it's just the presenter enlarges their presentation of their emotions because the A/V medium removes the ability to read the "mood" of the environment. This is why something can seem unnatural when recording it, but, upon outside viewing, it will seem far more natural to the viewer.

What this causes, as in the comment in the blog post, isn't a logical response. It's a Socio-Sexual Hierarchy/Status response. That's why the disqualification attempt doesn't hold up to "dude, Google it", because, in real life, you can't do that within a conversation easily. (Obviously, now you can, but, even then, almost no one does.) This is why comment sections should always be thought of as conversations, rather than Letters to the Editor pages.

Though there's one other issue that needs to be brought up. Almost all negative comments like this are either Shills or Bots. I was discussing this with a blogger in the Christian space, and it seems pretty clear that, unless you get a Gamma, any non-regular commenters are some sort of influence agent. YouTube comments is infested with bots. There are real people there, but much of it is bot action. It's getting to the point that most of the Internet is actually astroturf.

Blogger Jack Ward July 01, 2018 2:19 PM  

@ 9. VD

I enjoy the videos, now and again. Most of what I get from this blog, Vox and the Ilk, is read. Links? Sometimes follow, if VD or some of the chosen Ilk like Nate, put in the links you can bet they are worth going there.

Always...

Blogger Anno Ruse July 01, 2018 2:20 PM  

Can you disable comments on your Youtube videos? That would be an easy solution if they offer it. I've never seen a Youtube comment worth reading.

Blogger Looking Glass July 01, 2018 2:21 PM  

Nate wrote:Preach preacher. If we must resort to video to reach these cretins then we must consider the possibility that they are not worth reaching at all.

Pre-Internet, people would trust whatever Media figure they identified with.

Before TV, people would trust the smartest person they knew for information.

In the Internet era, there is so much textual information that it overloads the capacity of most of the population. They need someone they can trust that's not lying to them.

Blogger S1AL July 01, 2018 2:24 PM  

Your primary mistake was reading comments on YouTube.

Blogger lazlo azavaar July 01, 2018 2:28 PM  

Ah, the tyranny of the know-nothing know-it-alls. YouTube comment threads are lousy with 'em; a festival of midwittery.

Blogger Azimus July 01, 2018 2:32 PM  

You need to hire John Rhys Davies to do a voice-over for you and you be a 99th degree video master....

Blogger cyrus83 July 01, 2018 2:34 PM  

Logic doesn't work on the left for the most part. If they don't deny the logic of an argument, they will attack/deny the assumptions, claiming they're fabrications, unproven, or lies spread by some evil entity to deceive. They also don't do well with unintended consequences or chain logic (i.e. oil bad, renewable good, end of analysis).

Video has more of a chance at piercing the bubble when well done. One well done video is probably more effective than a thousand pages of iron clad logic. Propaganda is not a dirty word when it spreads truth.

Blogger Chesapean July 01, 2018 2:34 PM  

@5. marco moltisanti

I don't have a specific source, but you might look into the genetics of alcoholism or the history of beer in different cultures around the world.

Being Welsh I was very pleased to see a reference in a Wall Street Journal editorial once to a finding that alcoholism is rare among the contemporary Welsh because the ancient Welsh drank the alcoholics out of their gene pool. That was worth a pint!

Blogger Unknown July 01, 2018 2:37 PM  

@2

Tim Pool does that constantly on his videos, he will throw up the story he is reporting on and then proceed to read it out loud.

Mundane Matt does the same thing.

It drives me nuts. I can read far faster than most people can speak, so just stop it already.

Give me the link in the description, via archive.is if necessary if you do not want to give the site a hit, and save the time you spend reading outloud offering your commentary instead.

Blogger Mark Stoval July 01, 2018 2:37 PM  

"I understand it is necessary to reach a broader, post-literate audience,..." ~ V.D.

I much prefer the written word. The videos take forever to get through and you can not check back with an earlier paragraph in a few seconds. I just read much faster than the videos present information.

On the other hand, it is true that the post-literate are hard to reach since they are so ignorant. I am not sure that videos do it better than essays since their main problem is the lack of ability to think logically and their disregard for truth itself.

The left has destroyed the logical skepticism of the young along with their ability to follow a trail of evidence with logical analysis.

Blogger bob kek mando - ( "an entirely disconnected spew of word vomit" ) July 01, 2018 2:38 PM  

"Maybe your followers won't challenge you but I will ... by unsubscribing from you and refusing to watch your videos!"

it seems odd that someone who is so incompetent that they can't differentiate between REFUTING and IGNORING should assert that anyone else is incompetent or has a substandard intellect.

but then, there is a certain minimum intellectual capability necessary before assessments of capability can even be attempted.


5. marco moltisanti July 01, 2018 1:21 PM
Can anyone recommend basic sources that detail how behavioral differences in different populations are influenced by genetics?


do you accept that dog breeds, even though all being the same species, can have widely divergent behavioral tendencies?

if not, why not?

if yes, the question then becomes, how many generations does it take to produce noticeable differences in attitude, aggression and demeanor?

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2011/03/animal-domestication/


5. marco moltisanti July 01, 2018 1:21 PM
Please, give me some sources to read. Or if it's a question of the science being too complicated for a layman, even telling me that would be helpful.



oh, it's certainly not "too complicated".

what it is, is so blatantly obvious and straightforward that observing what's right in front of your face highlights just how much indoctrination you ( and most everyone you know ) received in order to convince you otherwise.

as noted above, there are works discussing these things. but the subject matter is so verboten that almost all of the scholarly work on the subject is never even undertaken in the first, the work of people already known as 'racists' or, in the case of 'The Bell Curve' results in the researchers being tarred as racists for ever daring to broach the subject
...
thereby ruining or severely impairing their careers.

Blogger John Williams July 01, 2018 2:39 PM  

@5, Marco. Not only is DNA passed down to offspring, brain chemistry & neural thresholds are passed down. Testing shows how that the biblical warning of sin cursing following generations is grounded in science. These passed on preferences affect all behaviors and time domain preferences.

Blogger Nostromo July 01, 2018 2:42 PM  

The easy solution is to have Space Bunny do the videos. We'd much rather watch her, and would replay them over and over...think of the hit counts

Blogger SidVic July 01, 2018 2:46 PM  

haha, it is so obvious that you hate doing the dark stream. Don't be such a snob! Video is a richer format. Expressions, voice modulations, mannerisms, can convene more information. Anyways, watching your early videos- i note tremendous technical improvement and encourage you to keep at it. PS- i'm jacked about the comic campaign. Jacked to the to the tits!

Blogger VD July 01, 2018 2:58 PM  

Your primary mistake was reading comments on YouTube.

Good point. I think I'll stop.

haha, it is so obvious that you hate doing the dark stream.

Actually, I don't. It's more the lower level of discourse and the complete inability of some viewers to even think through what I'm saying.

Blogger Al K. Annossow July 01, 2018 2:59 PM  

To the point of the dishonest media in the video (rather than this blog), here's a 2 minute video clip from one of my all time favorite movies, 'Absence of Malice.' It's the media lawyer telling the reporter that the truth of the article is irrelevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SGe-IywHXg

In the movie Paul Newman implausibly gets revenge on the media and the DOJ after he loses a friend to media induced suicide and his business to SJW activism by the labor union. Real people don't win that battle.

Blogger marco moltisanti July 01, 2018 3:02 PM  

@8 Thank you, and I'm familiar with Anon. Conservative and Stefan Molyneux. I remember a specific video where SM slaughtered some liberal who was trying to explain away why Uruguay, which is mostly white, is so much more advanced than most of Latin America. This makes sense to me. I mean, I live in one of the more backward, indigenous countries in Central America right now so I've seen these things firsthand. I can accept that the huge differences between the mostly indigenous population here and white westerners are largely, or even mostly, due to genetics.

What I found surprising was the idea that this could even apply to different types of white northern European populations. I'm just a layman, but I'd thought that a few thousand years of evolution wouldn't be enough to make much of a genetic difference between, say, Englishmen, Scandinavians, Germans, and the Dutch, even if you don't take into account all the mixture between some of those populations (I'm thinking specifically of Viking Age Anglo-Saxon England). I'm not denying that race makes a difference at all. Rather, I'm interested in the idea that even within the same race, populations separated by what (to me, a layman) seems like an insignificantly brief amount of time in the context of evolution could have significantly different traits that come down mostly to genetics rather than culture and environment.

Thanks to the others who responded. My day turned out to be busier than I expected but I'll try to get back to you. I appreciate the well thought out answers rather than ad hominems and calling me a "cuck."

Blogger Flannel Avenger July 01, 2018 3:10 PM  

Doesn't he know that addressing you by your given name binds you and strips you of all your dark powers?

Blogger Mark Stoval July 01, 2018 3:13 PM  

@5 marco moltisanti

You might start with this:

http://www.unz.com/jman/all-human-behavioral-traits-are-heritable/

excerpt:
-----------------------------------------------
The three laws of behavioral genetics are no exception:

First Law. All human behavioral traits are heritable.

Second Law. The effect of being raised in the same family is smaller than the effect of genes.

Third Law. A substantial portion of the variation in complex human behavioral traits is not accounted for by the effects of genes or families.

These laws are extremely important to understanding human behavior, particularly human differences, which is precisely what those of us who study HBD, Human Bio Diversity, investigate. Anyone who seriously considers this subject should be intimately familiar with these laws, the evidence from which they’re derived, and their implications.
---------------------------------------------

Just knowing that HBD means Human Bio Diversity can be very useful in web searches. Just be careful as talking about DNA and human behavior can get one fired in many places.

PS:
I also think that this essay is an interesting read, though not a scientific work. Z-man hits the target pretty well with this old essay.

http://thezman.com/wordpress/?p=4458

Blogger The Deplorable Podunk Ken Ramsey July 01, 2018 3:15 PM  

Video is a curse. Too much time to produce well, too much time to consume. Yet I am amazed at the growing number of people who simply don't read much anymore. They are starting to follow video makers primarily. I bet way more than half of Jordan Peterson's followers have never read one word of his writings, they follow his vids. That only makes it harder for them to see behind the curtain. They like the curtain, they are too busy watching it!

Blogger Michael Maier July 01, 2018 3:26 PM  

S. Misanthrope wrote:Don’t bother, no one follows those links.

...... I do.

Blogger Longtime Lurker July 01, 2018 3:27 PM  

Guided Imagery is a shallow medium. Always has been. Aways will be. But it is useful for introducing basic concepts, which enables further exploration, if that's what the viewer wants to do. Or not, as with today's critic.

Blogger Mark Stoval July 01, 2018 3:28 PM  

@5 marco moltisanti

Something went wrong in my comment. I meant to include a post by a guy named Vox day.

https://voxday.blogspot.com/2015/01/the-three-laws-of-behavioral-genetics.html

Blogger TM Lutas July 01, 2018 3:35 PM  

@9 VD - Your objection is a prelude to fleshing out a video strategy that is sustainable and compatible with your lifestyle. It *is* doable, but your dissatisfaction says you haven't found your particular sweet spot yet.

You need a team to do the video medium correctly specifically because you don't just do video. You can look up Gary Vaynerchuk to see how he does his video work and how he acquired his team.

Short version, say that you'll take applications for an unpaid videographer and figure out how to monetize the video workflow so that unpaid position can convert to a salaried one.

Blogger James Dixon July 01, 2018 3:43 PM  

> Preach preacher. If we must resort to video to reach these cretins then we must consider the possibility that they are not worth reaching at all.

Anyone GenXer or older isn't. Anyone younger may be. As far as I can tell, they largely don't read. If it isn't on video it doesn't exist for them.

> I just read much faster than the videos present information.

Pretty much everyone that can read does.

> I am not sure that videos do it better than essays

There's a chance they'll watch the video. There's no chance they'll read the essay.

> I'm just a layman, but I'd thought that a few thousand years of evolution wouldn't be enough to make much of a genetic difference between, say, Englishmen, Scandinavians, Germans, and the Dutch,

I could find any authoritative sources, but folks on Quor says it takes seven generations to stabilize a new breed (https://www.quora.com/When-making-a-new-breed-how-many-generations-until-the-new-breed-is-considered-locked). With humans that would be roughly 150 years. If true, one thousand is more than enough.

Blogger James Dixon July 01, 2018 3:44 PM  

could --> couldn't, just in case it isn't obvious.

Blogger VD July 01, 2018 3:48 PM  

Short version, say that you'll take applications for an unpaid videographer and figure out how to monetize the video workflow so that unpaid position can convert to a salaried one.

I have an excellent videographer. That's not the problem. The problem is that one way or another, I still have to record something. And unlike most YouTubers, I don't enjoy listening to myself talk and I don't think while talking aloud.

Blogger bob kek mando - ( "an entirely disconnected spew of word vomit" ) July 01, 2018 4:07 PM  

39. marco moltisanti July 01, 2018 3:02 PM
I appreciate the well thought out answers rather than ad hominems and calling me a "cuck."



just because we didn't say it doesn't mean we weren't thinking it.

more seriously, you asked a question for facts and reasoning
...
and you cast no aspersions.

do you truly not see a difference between what you did and what Κέννυ did?

and, if there is a difference, shouldn't WE / Vox respond differently?

Blogger bob kek mando - ( "an entirely disconnected spew of word vomit" ) July 01, 2018 4:11 PM  

49. VD July 01, 2018 3:48 PM
I don't enjoy listening to myself talk


nevertheless, voice modulation and control is still a very important part of live / video presentation.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan July 01, 2018 4:14 PM  

15 minutes top and view it as theater.

Blogger Avalanche July 01, 2018 4:29 PM  

@39 What I found surprising was the idea that this could even apply to different types of white northern European populations.

You may have heard of/read about this “proof of evolution” (except it is not). Back when London was a coal-burning city (so, back in the 1800's or so), someone noticed that what had once been a mostly white moth species has “turned” darker (much, much darker), and the lighter/white ones had almost entirely disappeared... This was ‘attributed” to evolution: as in: “see? The white moths evolved into dark ones!!”

Uncommon sense finally made clear that no, the moth SPECIES had not changed. They were still genetically the same. What HAD happened was that as the tree bark and building walls had become blackened by soot, the lighter/white moths had been easier prey for the birds. The ALREADY darker ones, the ones wholly within the normal ‘color range’ of the species, were less predated, and thus more survived and reproduced, and thus their ‘color’ end of the normal color scale became noticeably numerically larger. But no ‘evolution’ was involved. Perhaps you might call it ‘genetic drift.’

Now, think of the many varied and various tribes of ‘folks’ all across Europe. Not much cross-tribe mating (perhaps too far, too hostile, unknown). If, say, fishing, and figuring out tides and where and how to fish best and so on – was required to keep your family (and tribe = extended family) alive, then the best fishermen (men!) Would have access to the best or most females for passing their genes down. The men who couldn’t figure it out either drowned, or were not accepted as mates. (Same for females: those that did not know how or were not motivated to raise children left fewer offspring.)

Via ‘drift,’ that fishing tribe came to be more and more productive of successful fishers! (Mother Nature is cruel – or rational.) And, if fishing was rewarded, as it often is now, by silence and long sitting still; then men who were able to do that likely had offspring; and men who kept laughing or talking or otherwise scaring the fish away did not. So, that tribe became taciturn and patient. (You can expand that to cover all sorts of survival traits; such as cow or reindeer herders needing to be attuned to the health and needs (and predators) of animals.

Blogger Avalanche July 01, 2018 4:29 PM  

continued:

Most tribes in Africa and tropical areas did not have to plan for winter and a lack of food. They did not have to husband resources. So, there was no natural penalty for men making kids and leaving; and no strong requirement for women to HAVE a man to help keep the kids alive (as there was and is in the ice countries). It is a completely african *genetic* pattern for the men to be shiftless and the women to do the work and raise the kids. This is the source of my jaundiced: “where there are africans, there is africa”! The lack of fathers in the American black community has extremely little do with welfare – it’s the exact same pattern of africans across the globe! That some few of them mimic the white (K-selected) family pattern (mostly when forced to it: e.g., the U.S. in the 1920-30s-40s) does NOT change their genetic pattern.


Or, to look at it from a different perspective: look to dogs and ‘directed’ selection for traits. Just one example:
sheep-mimic dogs (Maremma, Great Pyrenees) who look like sheep and live in the flock and protect them; or herding dogs, who obey a human’s commands (i.e., they are more human focused than sheep- or duck- or goose-focused), or Jack Russell Terrierists who are genetically death to rats: https://keyassets.timeincuk.net/inspirewp/live/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2015/02/Ratting-with-terriers.-Cornwall-ratting.jpg ). WHY would dogs come out with such varied and fundamentally different personalities and traits – but humans would not?

Blogger Rick July 01, 2018 4:37 PM  

I always check to see how long a video is after the title. I wasn’t always this way. If yours are 10 mins or less, you’re head and shoulders above Scott Adams. What’s wrong with him. He posts two or three a day sometimes and some are over an hour. Based on some I’ve watched, I can tell there’s probably 10 minutes of content in that hour. (Im being generous) I’m not sitting though all that haystack to find the needle.
I love Scott, but he loves himself way more. He needs a girlfriend or something.

Also, speaking of, learn hypnosis and no one will care what or how you say it. Evidence: Scott Adams

Best video guys: David Berlinski, Seinfeld (there are a couple good interviews of him talking about the making of Comedians in Cars Dring Coffee), Jay Leno’s Garage
Obviously the subject matter is different than yours but they’ve mastered theirs and you have yours.

Blogger Randell Gary July 01, 2018 4:38 PM  

That's the problem in dealing with idiots like that one. Their insanity is allowed as much merit as any other expert on the internet.

If only there was an Insta-block function for comments that didn't contribute to the discussion.

Blogger NO GOOGLES July 01, 2018 4:40 PM  

@53
It seems like you're mixing up terms here. The darker moths becoming more common because of the presence of soot wouldn't be evolution, but it is "selection pressure". Given enough time and consistent selection pressure, then the moths would likely evolve to become darker. So going from white moths to dark moths isn't evolution, but eventually it could lead to evolution. It IS selection pressure - moths that look darker are being selected for because they are harder to spot and less likely to be eaten by predators.

Blogger Patrick Kelly July 01, 2018 4:42 PM  

Script them, rehearse, and make them briefer.

By scripting you utilize the strength of your writing.
Rehearse once to iron out the rough spots, then again as a warm up.

My opinion, ymmv.

Blogger NO GOOGLES July 01, 2018 4:44 PM  

Also as someone who frequents youtube there is a LARGE number of people who are inured to being spoonfed EVERYTHING. If you don't spell out every single thing or leave links to your sources or other information in the description, they will relentlessly sealion you about "muh sources". Telling them to look it up will just be taken as an admission that you don't have a source.

Some of these people can't be helped because they use these sealion tactics to avoid changing their minds or acknowledging info they don't like. A lot of them are just used to being lazy. I would recommend putting some basic links to info in your description - even just giving some links can convince people that what you're saying is sourced and the few people who will read it are much more likely to be convinced.

It's sad that they are this lazy, but a lot of these people CAN be convinced but they automatically discard anything with no sources instead of looking it up.

Blogger Weouro July 01, 2018 4:57 PM  

Well it's improved from the stephan molynuex inspired start to now the dimmer lit seated lair feel. Needs more nonsense or feuding tho, like a Scalzied court jester to throw soup on.

Blogger pyrrhus July 01, 2018 4:58 PM  

O/T Taleb goes full immigration restriction via the Silver rule...https://www.theburningplatform.com/2018/07/01/taleb-destroys-liberal-immigration-narrative-in-3-tweets/#more-179067

Blogger DraveckysHumerus July 01, 2018 4:58 PM  

Gud lawd. The Google doodle today suggests that (((Leibniz))) invented binary math as well as "the grand ideas of differential and integral calculus.” The man, talented, was an atomist for jeebus sake. You hate video, I hate images urging (((gross distortions to truth))).

Blogger MJ Meyers July 01, 2018 5:01 PM  

I don't think the need for video is due to society becoming "post-literate" as much as technology has freed up our consumption options.

There are limited hours in the day. Sadly, many are spent driving or engaging in manual labor tasks (cooking dinner, yard work, cleaning, etc.) Audio allows us to use that time more productively. It also makes that time enjoyable. So, please don't be discouraged by the dumb comments from making video. I read your books and blog posts, but it's not something I can do while driving. It's great to have both forms.

With a large audience comes a higher probability of receiving dumb comments. For every 1 dumb comment you read, there are probably a 1,000 people who have taken your thoughts to heart and who's lives are changed for the better, inferred through view counts, donors, and sales.

Blogger NO GOOGLES July 01, 2018 5:29 PM  

The vast amount of info people are bombarded with also makes them lazy. If you're a person spending an hour or two watching youtube videos, then you're not very likely to actually research and look for info or sources that back up the video you watched if you're skeptical - you just don't have time to do that for every video you watch.

However, if it's readily available then it's more likely that you would click a link because it's faster and easier. It's just a sad reality of the great increase in the amount of content people have access to. It's definitely a double edged sword. Prior to the internet, what are the chances that Vox would have been able to get a TV show to talk about his ideas?

Zero. But now that it's cheap enough to make videos and post them on the internet for people to watch for free, a lot more people can be introduced into the same ideas. But it also makes people intellectually lazier and skeptical in the worst way (ie, broad skepticism as an excuse for not doing your research).

Blogger Silent Draco July 01, 2018 5:30 PM  

Looking Glass, of course, reveals all.

Video gives a method to get the conversation started among the +SDs of the gene pool, by introducing ideas or concepts in short segments that you can re-play or search on later. Vox does a pretty good job or introducing ideas from high to mid wits, getting the ideas into their ears.

Talk radio was the bete noire of the left for a generation because they can't do it. When has a leftist had a conversation, when they could give a good harangue? Commercially successful programs, national or local, bring lots of listeners and occasional callers because of discusion. Many listeners can't read because of work, but they can hear and think (now or later). It's ratings and sales gold for an hour or three.

Vox mentioned Ron Smith in his first book of collected columns. Thank you; he was a fixture of my afternoon commute for years, until the switch to morning and the final bittersweet message. A lot of Baltimore-area businesses benefitted from a casual mention or conversation shift

His programs were like entering an adult's bar and having the fantastic uncle or gentleman down the street buy Scotch and start telling stories, or begin asking about anything interesting from others at a table or on a stool. Suddenly the patrons hear the closing bell. GOOD conversation includes the listeners, and becomes the rough draft of lore.

The videos give the opening conversation, and get people thinking. Several wineries may praise or chastise the SDL for his effects on sales. Let's see how many ideas come up in every day talk or actions. The public also gets to see no throne of skulls, no seneschal of doom, and the VFM are kenneled way off camera.

Blogger DraveckysHumerus July 01, 2018 5:30 PM  

I don't enjoy listening to myself talk and I don't think while talking aloud

Ditto for me when I was very young and arguably aspy. But I acquired the skill by practice and performance, and there is zero doubt you can do it provided you wish to continue. FWIW you're one of the few reasons I maintain a giant tv screen since I have avoided mainstream entertainment for more than a dozen years (discounting opera, plays and improv). You present fine enough, continual improvements will follow if you do more. You are insightful and intelligent, our side needs that to the extent you can still enjoy a life with friends and family, which should always be priority one.

Blogger NO GOOGLES July 01, 2018 5:32 PM  

Sorry for double posting but I just saw @5's post:

You can look up "Alternative Hypothesis" on youtube. He's got some good videos about the Medieval revolution (where the most violent in society were generally put to death for their crimes) and its influence on making the Christian West less violent and more cooperative so that the Industrial Revolution could take place. A lot of his videos are very interesting and he generally has pretty good sourcing as well.

Blogger VFM #7634 July 01, 2018 5:37 PM  

Writing one's handle in a foreign alphabet, especially if the handle itself isn't from that alphabet's language, smells Gamma to me somehow.

Blogger Looking Glass July 01, 2018 5:47 PM  

@65 Silent Draco

There's also other aspects that Video works better than Text at. For basic overviews, you'll find a well written & produced 5 minute video can explain the basic overview of a topic far faster than most can read. Graphics plus intonation can simply encode more detail in 4 minutes than 1500 words can.

However, that's only after the initial period. After about 10 minutes, text will generally be more time efficient. It's that uptake period that causes the interaction difference. Video is always linear, even if you can skip around. Text is linear within its section, but it can be made sectional enough that it's structurally non-linear. (I.e. your Infogalactics of the world.)

A/V is the best medium for "Midwit Whisperer" work. For deeper details, it has to be text.

Blogger Ceerilan July 01, 2018 6:01 PM  

In doing videos, you will reach a wider audience, but also your stuff will be more accessible to leftists.

One experience I had in video comments included someone who demanded I post links, so I posted links to Wikipedia. He then complained that it was onerous of me to expect him to read an entire article of supporting information, demanding I post a link to a video. So I did. He then complained that I didn't bookmark the video to the relevant section, posting an example (which was incorrect), accusing me of being evasive. After a few tries, I managed to satisfy THAT requirement, and asked how he would evade my arguments again. THEN he tried to claim that it was all a misunderstanding because he was actually arguing something completely different.

All this for a video dated to a specific news story. I don't normally do this, but I really wanted to nail this particular leftist for target practice. Full exchange is here for those interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XExNsQZZZM&lc=UgwfwNo15yEBQUuZI-94AaABAg.8ckz8IDTL-J8cmXbX3JYME

My point is that you can't please everyone. Yuri Bezhmenov was truly right when he said that we would be stuck with demoralized leftists for their entire lives. They don't know how to argue. They don't know how to reason. VD was right to say that the child abuse that results in creating a leftist is irreversible physical damage.

Blogger Starboard July 01, 2018 6:59 PM  

"All you seem to do..." There it is again, "seem."

He's going to challenge by unsubscribing and throwing insults about IQ.

This is nothing but a hurumph and a flounce as he stomps off stage. Hopefully the resulting attention afforded this poor soul will sustain him until he finds a you tube forum more to his liking.

Blogger Andrew Brown July 01, 2018 7:38 PM  

Who needs video when you can speed read?

Blogger Zeroh Tollrants July 01, 2018 7:59 PM  

Alternative Hypothesis on YT?.

Blogger Cetera July 01, 2018 9:54 PM  

The end result of all of this, and all the comments here bear this out, is that our society has hit a wall when it comes to complexity and learning.

The concepts that are required to make our modern society function at high levels are beyond the ability of the average person to ever understand. They aren't going to understand the entire thing if you made a 40-hour video series stepping them through each source and outcome of your argument.

We've also hit a wall limiting how much the smart people are able to learn and retain. This wall isn't due to the difficulty or complexity of the material, but more because of the amount of time required to actually learn it all.

As an example, I'm pretty smart, IQ of 125-130. My brother is smarter still, IQ of 135-140. He's in medicine, and working with his wife to open up their own practice. He's smart, he's conservative, and he knows very little about the current state of affairs. He still thinks McCain is an upstanding war hero worthy of the utmost respect. He didn't like Trump during the primaries, voted for him and is pleased with it working out, but doesn't follow it much.

When my brother and I talk, I'll try to fill him in on things. He is extremely skeptical. As I start to fill in more background and expound upon specifics, he questions those too. It is a never-ending rabbit hole. I can find some levels here and there where he has a base of knowledge, and can proceed from some assumptions. However, I find it much, much easier, although not really quicker, to make specific predictions and give him larger principles. He can understand the principles, he can do his own research if he's really interested, but when I can say something along the lines of "This is how Trump is going to crush China on trade, this is how they will respond, and this is how Trump will win," and add to it, "Not only will there not be war with North Korea unless someone somewhere really, really fucks up, but Trump will break NK away from China, the Korean war will end, and the two nations will be well on their way to being unified in his first term," and these things begin to come to pass faster than I told him they would occur, he understands that my understanding of what I'm talking about is far deeper than his in this area. At that point, he absorbs, he asks questions, and he does his own research, or at the very least waits to see while trying to pay more attention.

That isn't always going to be possible with Darkstreams or Voxiversity, but in cases it may make sense. Make predictions. Set the grounds for the predictions to come true, and where/why/when they would fail, and let the past prove the future. It helps establish credibility with minimal extra effort, even for the low-info people who can't read or pay attention for long periods of time.

Blogger marco moltisanti July 01, 2018 11:07 PM  

@54

I'm familiar with the London moths story and yes, I probably should have said "natural selection" instead of "evolution."

As far as there not being much cross breeding between the various populations of northern Europe, I don't think that was always true. The best example I can think of is the Danelaw in Anglo-Saxon England. I'd be surprised if there wasn't significant mixing between Danes and English at that time. Nevertheless, I get what you're saying with your fishing example, I'm just not sure what specifically would have led to noticeable inheritable differences between the English, Scandinavians, Dutch, and Germans in the less than 2,000 years since they diverged from each other. Their ancient and medieval cultures don't seem very different to me, but that could be ignorance on my part.

Interesting point about Africans not having to plan for winter. As you note there are two apparently contradictory assertions you hear from the right about American blacks 1) That before LBJ's war on poverty only 7% of black children were raised by single mothers, whereas now largely because of welfare the number is around 70% and 2) that black men everywhere and at all times typically haven't taken care of their kids. I've never been to subsaharan Africa though, and I have no idea if the rate of single motherhood there is closer to 7% or 70%.

Why do you say black men were forced to take care of their kids between the 1920s and 1940s?

Blogger NO GOOGLES July 01, 2018 11:23 PM  

@73
Yes. The video that I was talking about is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P78Zd8265_k

Blogger Wynn Lloyd July 02, 2018 12:04 AM  

Those kind of dullards are always calling something a "straw man," as if that has deep meaning and power behind it, when they really don't see any logical fallacy, but simply think you're wrong, most often because they don't know anything. Cannot stand that!

Blogger Wynn Lloyd July 02, 2018 12:15 AM  

Black men cared for their children because they had to face the ku klux klan. This wasn't just for blacks. My grandfather (a criminal cad) was threatened by my great uncle (a deeply religious klansman) into taking care of his children, and not beating my grandmother.
The KKK kept order, outside of the legal framework.
That's why I say the KKK no longer exists. The social institution is no more. The weirdos always in stock footage of the MSM are completely detached from that culture.

In Sub-Saharan Africa, fatherlessness is endemic. In fact, it's largely the norm outside of areas under Islamic control, where again, the powers force black men to be fathers with the threat of violence.
If you look at their crops, particularly staple crops like yams, they are tubers or some other kind of fruit or vegetable. Never grain. Rice is often imported in huge amounts but most countries are self-sufficient with it. . This comes from a traditional system where planting and harvesting was largely the work of women.

Congoid Africans have always lived under a light matriarchy. The ones with patriarchies (Nilo-Saharan Groups, Ethiopians, Somalis) see themselves as a totally different race, which makes sense at least if you look at their Caucasus skull shapes.

Blogger Freddy July 02, 2018 3:26 AM  

Vox, a short prolegomena? Don't bother.

Blogger insight July 02, 2018 4:33 AM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger insight July 02, 2018 4:49 AM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger Harambe July 02, 2018 6:10 AM  

I bet he won't have sex with you either now

Blogger marco moltisanti July 02, 2018 10:40 AM  

@78

Great comment, thanks. Makes sense.

Blogger Dirk Manly July 02, 2018 11:59 AM  

@42

"Video is a curse. Too much time to produce well, too much time to consume. Yet I am amazed at the growing number of people who simply don't read much anymore."

Limbaugh said he quit doing the TV show because doing 30 minutes of TV took more time than the combined total of show-prep + performance for his 3-hour radio show.

Blogger susurrus July 02, 2018 5:33 PM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger susurrus July 02, 2018 5:37 PM  

Ceerilan wrote:I don't normally do this, but I really wanted to nail this particular leftist for target practice. Full exchange is here for those interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XExNsQZZZM&lc=UgwfwNo15yEBQUuZI-94AaABAg.8ckz8IDTL-J8cmXbX3JYME

Man I can't tell you how many times I've had that same exact argument!

Lefties always try to place an unrealistic or irrelevant burden of proof upon you; constantly pester you for "a source" on any and all statements you make, even when such a thing is unnecessary or doesn't make sense. Obviously such tactics display lower levels of thinking, as well as argumentative desperation. But I suspect this is also a case of projection. They cannot think rationally. They cannot read critically. They get all their information from 2-3 sources at the most, and then repeat simple hashtags and headlines with complete confidence. They assume you do the same.

At the end of the day, they don't engage in conversation so as to learn anything, nor even to debate ideas. Their motivations and intentions seem entirely selfish and usually subconscious.

As you said, they are incapable of dialogue.

Blogger Dirk Manly July 03, 2018 10:05 AM  

@75

The English (i.e. ANGLES) *ARE* Danes.

How did Brittania, home of the Britons(*), become England?

The only people in the UK still speaking their original (not Germanified) language are the people living on the Isle of Man (Manx), some parts of Ireland (Irish Celtic)(**)... and the Welsh (Welsh).

Old "English" is nothing of the sort... it's pre-Angle migration -- Old "English" is Barythonic, the language of the Britons.

Modern English is a Germanic language pronounced with French (the Normans invaded in 1066) pronounciation rules.
This is why so many words that begin with the word "j", or which have the letter "w" in them sound almost exactly like their cognate words from continental languages, except that the cognates begin with a "y" sound, or have a "v" sound instead of the "w" sound.

The cognate of "John" is pronounced "Yan" everywhere from Spain to Russia (with the exception of France". "June" is pronounced with a leading "I" or "Y" everywhere from Spain to Russia (except for France). YHWA (the name of God) is pronounced ye-ho-va, except for in English, where it somehow became Jehova (the y=>j occurred, but somehow, the "w" kept it's original "v" sound).

"Moscow" is a mispronounciation. In Russian, the nominative form is Moskva. But a Muscovite would say "Ya iz Moskov" (I [am] from Moska)... written in German, the sound Moscov is written "Moscow"... which the English then mis-read, and then the French transliterated the English mispronounciation into Moscou. And they are ALL basing this on the genitive ("from") form, as the name of the place, which is ALWAYS the Nominative form (Moskva). And the Germans, having noun declensions, should know better.




(*) Speaking a language looks and sounds NOTHING like English

(**)(as opposed to Scottish Celtic... and contrary to what the retards in Boston say, that's pronounced "Keltic," not "Seltic")

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts