ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2019 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Sunday, December 08, 2019

NFL Week 14

Discuss amongst yourselves. Also, this is very good news:
The NFL will continue to resist sound arguments for changing the postseason seeding process, which guarantees every division champion a home game. Per Adam Schefter of ESPN, the issue has emerged in past years, but the possibility of stripping a division winner of an automatic home game has “gotten zero steam,” and that “[i]t’s never been a consideration.”

As a source with knowledge of past dynamics during ownership meetings has explained it to PFT, the idea has been proposed “a number of times” and debated “a few times,” but it “never got much traction.”

“For some reason, the owners felt strongly that it was important to make division winning meaningful and one way was to give them a home game,” our source said.
The arguments for playoff reseeding are not "sound" at all. To the contrary, they are stupid, bordering on complete retardation. Either divisions and conferences matter or they do not. If the logic utilized by the spergs who are upset by the way in which a team with a better record has to go on the road to play a division winner is relevant, then they do not matter, there is no reason to play either the playoffs or the Super Bowl, and the NFL can simply go to a FIFA-style system where the team that finishes the season with a) the best record, b) the best head-to-head record, c) the most points scored is the NFL champion.

Don't want to do that? Fine, then shut the hell up. The current system not only works, it works very well indeed.

Labels:

55 Comments:

Blogger Pax_Romana December 08, 2019 12:54 PM  

Ah, a good day for football. Not often I unironically root for the Saints, but anything to keep San Francisco from an easy road to the Super Bowl!

Blogger Dave December 08, 2019 1:05 PM  

Thank you for emphatically stating your position on reseeding, Vox, and I agree 1000%. Of course, my team just happens to play in the worst division this year and possibly all-time in the NFL. The NFC Least. While it has been agonizing this season trying to will my team to win seven or eight victories to capture their division, I have been entertained watching the top seeds in the other divisions vie for the first round bye and home field advantage throughout the playoffs. The 49er's, who had led their division all season just dropped from the one seed to the fifth seed, losing a first round bye and a home field playoff game in the process. Will they gather themselves, storm back by Seattle and re-capture the one seed? What about the Saints, Packers, or Vikings? One thing the NFL has done right recently was scheduling so many divisional matchups at the end of the season. Must see football.

Blogger Manuel December 08, 2019 1:08 PM  

I still remember when there were only 3 divisions and Atlanta was in the West, needing to play SF and LA, which was stupid. The current format is fine, they need to stop enhancing our user experience.

Blogger Bucephalus December 08, 2019 1:35 PM  

Can’t stand a woman in the booth+ Plus it’s Browns Bengals.

Blogger Pax_Romana December 08, 2019 1:43 PM  

Looking like the Niners forgot it was Gameday!

Blogger Skyler the Weird December 08, 2019 2:07 PM  

The year after winning the Super Bowl the 10-6 New Orleans Saints were a wild card and had to go to Qwest field in Seattle to play the 7-9 Seahawks who won their Division. The Saints lost 41-36. You have to take care of business and win your games if you want home field advantage.

Blogger eharmonica December 08, 2019 2:08 PM  

The season should go like this:

First 3 weeks are division games.
Entire league takes a bye
Next 10 games are the usual stuff
Entire league takes a bye.
Last 3 games are divisional games.

No re-seeding. Be reading to start the year, be ready to end the year.

Blogger Rough Carrigan December 08, 2019 2:12 PM  

Apparently half of the Kansas City Chiefs' gear never got off their plane Saturday and may be in Newark right now.

Blogger mike December 08, 2019 2:29 PM  

The NBA seeds its playoff teams simply according to record (without regard to division championships) and it works just fine. The NFL can do it as well.

Blogger YIH December 08, 2019 2:48 PM  

The Packers get the Deadskins, and the Vikes get the Lions. IOW both teams are expected to win. I like the seeding system as it is. If the Vikes make the playoffs they likely won't host the wild card, either the Niners or the Seahawks will likely host the wild card, as now tied at 10-2. I won't be surprised to see the Bills hosting a wild card, because I seriously doubt they can get past the New England Juggernauts - one of the teams that will likely return to the Super Bowl.

Blogger TRF009 December 08, 2019 3:43 PM  

Go Hawks!

Blogger JAG December 08, 2019 3:43 PM  

It is still possible that a 6-10 Cowboys host a 12-4 team in the Wild Card round. The Cowboys aren't likely to do very well in that game, but you never know. Regardless of how good or bad teams are perceived to be they are still made up of the best players in the world. Thus, any given Sunday.

Blogger furor kek tonicus ( according to the 13th Amendment, Slavery is neither Cruel nor Unusual: MSAGA ) December 08, 2019 3:54 PM  

9. mike December 08, 2019 2:29 PM
The NBA ... works just fine.


does it?

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2019/11/nba-ratings-decline-tnt-espn/

Blogger Damelon Brinn December 08, 2019 3:55 PM  

The NFL is determined to test the soundness of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." They're gonna fix it until it can't be fixed no more.

Blogger Apathy Is Death December 08, 2019 4:02 PM  

mike wrote:The NBA seeds its playoff teams simply according to record (without regard to division championships) and it works just fine. The NFL can do it as well.

Bad comparison. It does not work. In fact, there's nothing to work because NBA divisions do not matter. At all. As much as I am a fan of basketball, and the NBA, it is an inferior product when held next to the NFL. Significantly inferior. If the NBA adopted a perspective regarding divisions that made divisions matter, the league would likely benefit with an influx of revitalized divisional rivalries and that would subsequently allow the NBA to have NFL-level traditions that could become rich in lore, and history.

As it stands, the divisions are merely empty titles to the point they should not even be there. There is zero reason why a superior product with a superior idea should adopt an inferior idea from an inferior product.

Blogger Manuel December 08, 2019 4:12 PM  

9ers needed those 6. Giving Brees 2 whole mins. is playing with fire

Blogger Manuel December 08, 2019 4:26 PM  

Brees does what he does and then... KITTLE! not today Pax_Romana

Blogger Dave December 08, 2019 4:32 PM  

WTF was Brees doing on the two point conversion at the end? Nobody close to him and he throws the ball into the ground towards a receiver that wasn't open? Bad call. No way a 1-point lead was going to hold up when the 49'ers had 3 timeouts and everyone knew whoever had the ball last was probably going to win.

Blogger VD December 08, 2019 4:43 PM  

Apparently half of the Kansas City Chiefs' gear never got off their plane Saturday and may be in Newark right now.

And Darth Belichick smiled, ever so slightly....

Blogger Shane Bradman December 08, 2019 4:45 PM  

The people who are complaining about the playoffs are the same people that complain about the electoral college not being democratic enough. It's not supposed to be the teams with the best records all playing each other. The way it is gives teams that had a rough start to the season an opportunity to win.

Blogger Shane Bradman December 08, 2019 4:57 PM  

The Ravens are now on a 9 game win streak. They've given the Seahawks one of their 2 losses this season and are looking like a very serious contender in the playoffs. I'm not a betting man but I would look at putting my money on them.

Blogger Dave December 08, 2019 4:58 PM  

JAG wrote:It is still possible that a 6-10 Cowboys host a 12-4 team in the Wild Card round.

If the Cowboys don't win another game then they lose to the Eagles which puts the Eagles in the driver's seat to win the division. The Eagles play the 2-win Giants twice and the 3-win Redskins once along with the Cowboys. Even if Sheeli is playing tomorrow night, the division will in all likelihood come down to the Cowboys vs Eagles in two weeks.

Blogger Johnny Reb December 08, 2019 4:59 PM  

With a little luck, the Bucs could actually end the season with a winning record. Of course, this assumes that Crablegs doesn't go back to his usual self in the next 3 weeks.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan December 08, 2019 5:15 PM  

"Best players" sure in a woke world ain't no bias. Thank the Lord for the NFL and conservatives.

Blogger furor kek tonicus ( according to the 13th Amendment, Slavery is neither Cruel nor Unusual: MSAGA ) December 08, 2019 5:16 PM  

watching Cowboys fans is almost as much fun as watching Notre Dame fans after a loss.

Blogger bodenlose Schweinerei December 08, 2019 5:29 PM  

It's easy to see that re-seeding is a terrible idea because most those in favor of it are screeching about the need for "fairness".

Blogger Retrenched December 08, 2019 5:40 PM  

I remember back when the NFC dominated the Super Bowl, winning 13 in a row, how sportswriters made similar arguments in favor of seeding teams by record instead of conference- because a Cowboys-49ers Super Bowl would be better than watching another NFC blowout win. Thankfully the NFL ignored those arguments too.

Blogger cyrus83 December 08, 2019 5:47 PM  

The wild cards and wild card round are already in place to account for good teams that would otherwise not get in the playoffs because their division is stacked. The wild card game is their chance to prove that they should be the ones to face one of the top 2 division winners rather than one of the lower seeded division winners.

A team that doesn't get in has no reason to complain - they weren't the best in their division and they weren't better than 2 other teams that also didn't win their division.

Blogger YIH December 08, 2019 6:01 PM  

How rotten is the NFC Least? so bad the deadskins are still capable of winning the division! I kid you not. Yes the Chiefs did get their gear (if they hadn't, they would have had to forfeit) and are now beating the Patriots with it.

Blogger Talios Hammerfist December 08, 2019 6:16 PM  

Titans and Raiders in a shootout. Raiders are one the worst second half teams in the league, and the Titans are one of the better ones... Titan Up!

Blogger Dave December 08, 2019 6:35 PM  

YIH, you must be kidding because the Redskins had to win out including today against the Packers to have an outside chance at the division title. However, the Redskins were beat by the Packers earlier today.

And yes, the Patriots 10-2 record soon to be 10-3 looks to be...fake?

Blogger Damelon Brinn December 08, 2019 6:44 PM  

Don't count the Patriots out, with Jerome Boger lisping and throwing flags all over the place.

Blogger Jack Amok December 08, 2019 6:45 PM  

Who cares if conference seeding works for the NBA or not? The divisional system works fine for the NFL. No reason leagues can't be different. This incessant need to change something that works fine just for... what? To agitate? To show you're a Smart Boy?

Blogger Dave December 08, 2019 7:24 PM  

It's not just the home games that matter; it's the rivalries. If the battle to win a division was moot, there would not be any rivalries. That would suck.

Blogger Gettimothy December 08, 2019 7:31 PM  

holy crap! bucs come from behind to beat colts. niw one game below 500. coukdnt watch or follow from work, so just nowcseeibg final score

Blogger Uncle Maffoo December 08, 2019 7:42 PM  

@32 No flag on that last pass attempt, and nor should there have been. Baltimore now #1 in the AFC.

Blogger FUBARwest December 08, 2019 7:58 PM  

They're really trying to strip all ties to regions in every facet of life. Glad the NFL isn't going down that road completely yet.

Blogger Jill in StL December 08, 2019 8:25 PM  

Today was a good day - Vox's Vikings won and my Packers did too. (I have far too many friends who are Skol guys to hate on the Vikings like all respectable Packers fans should, even tho said friends do nothing but spam me with Packers smack talk memes - ha ha!)

Blogger Damelon Brinn December 08, 2019 8:40 PM  

@38, The NBA's problems go far deeper than playoff seedings. But the lack of any significance to divisional rivalries can't be helping the fact that no one cares about the regular season anymore, and it's basically treated as an 82-game preseason to prepare for the real thing. It's a small thing, probably not in the top ten of what's wrong with the NBA, but it's something.

Also, you're the one who brought up the NBA as if it proves something about the NFL. It was your strawman in the first place, so it's really not up to us to shred it.

Blogger Apathy Is Death December 08, 2019 8:53 PM  

FUBARwest wrote:They're really trying to strip all ties to regions in every facet of life. Glad the NFL isn't going down that road completely yet.

Spot on. It has been a huge disappointment for teams leaving conferences in college basketball, which paved the way for basically eradicating the Big East Tournament. It was one of the most entertaining traditional events to see in the sport, but now it is a pale shadow of what it used to be. And, it hasn't even worked out for the teams that left. At all. Serves them right. Divisions, conferences, etc., they are a beautiful piece of sports tradition and should be cherished.

Blogger Apathy Is Death December 08, 2019 9:02 PM  

Dave wrote:And yes, the Patriots 10-2 record soon to be 10-3 looks to be...fake?

With Gordon and AB, they looked ridiculous. Without them, it's a very sketchy offense. There's some signs of life on the O, but a road that possibly includes KC and Baltimore doesn't look promising if they can't figure out a semi-effective offensive game plan.

Blogger VD December 08, 2019 9:03 PM  

Go away, mike. This is no place for gammas and your stupid "prove it" games.

Blogger Servant December 08, 2019 9:54 PM  

Don't you have a blog post or something about meaningless reform? Seem like a case of "why is this fence here better move it".

Blogger Dantheman December 08, 2019 9:57 PM  

That NKeal Harry TD and the Defensive touch down by Gilmore should have stand. Both bad calls by the ref.

Blogger Kevin December 08, 2019 10:14 PM  

Lamar Jackson does it again.

Blogger James Dixon December 08, 2019 10:20 PM  

> Spot on. It has been a huge disappointment for teams leaving conferences in college basketball, which paved the way for basically eradicating the Big East Tournament.

You can thank Miami, Syracuse, and Pitt for that (and the ACC, of course). I'd love for the Big 12 to offer Clemson and Florida State too much money to turn down, but there's no sign of that ever happening.

Blogger Rough Carrigan December 08, 2019 11:55 PM  

#41, Josh Gordon wasn't very productive. He wasn't. It happens. Just because you're an exceptionally dynamic athlete in 2013 doesn't mean you will be in 2019. And if you didn't learn enough about the finer points of your craft in the interim, if you just kept trying to jump higher and run faster than everyone, you might not be so good when you can't.

Blogger Shane Bradman December 09, 2019 12:17 AM  

Very disappointing game against the Rams, but I think Seahawks will win the next 3 games. It's still going to be neck and neck with the 49ers until the last week. Playoffs will be intense.

Blogger Lazarus December 09, 2019 4:27 AM  

Dantheman wrote:That NKeal Harry TD and the Defensive touch down by Gilmore should have stand. Both bad calls by the ref.

Sure they should have. But having watched the Pats benefit from bizzaro reffing for more than a decade, I don't feel too bad.

Blogger ~a December 09, 2019 6:34 AM  

OT - technical blog quibble:

It's getting somewhat annoying with images on left sidebar of the blog overlaying text when viewed on a lower resolution, with the "Castalia Deluxe" being the biggest offender (see screenshot - https://imgur.com/a/EXivz7H )

Relatively minor, but (unless blogger doesn't let you do it, since I don't know much about blogger itself) it should be a two-minute fix, for example, by adding width to the `a img` tag in stylesheet, as such:

a img {
border-width: 0;
width: 100%;
}

Blogger johndoe03526 December 09, 2019 7:41 AM  

Brady is bereft of weapons this season. I don't think the problem is him. Double team Edelman, and they're stymied. The Pats could lose out the rest of the schedule.

Blogger Nate December 09, 2019 7:47 AM  

you have no idea how uncomfortable it is to be a titans fan right now. the offense is an unstoppable killing machine. lead by.... ryan Tannehill? wait what?

Blogger James Dixon December 09, 2019 10:12 AM  

> the offense is an unstoppable killing machine. lead by.... ryan Tannehill? wait what?

Nate, there are literally dozens of quarterbacks out there capable of doing the job. What they aren't is an elite quarterback who can carry a team. Tannehill fits that mold perfectly. Given the right team, he can do the job.

Blogger Middle American Water Tower Man December 09, 2019 10:17 AM  

Darth belechik got beat down by the koolaid man again! All they can do is complain about the refs. Pathetic. Their dynasty is over.

Blogger Nate December 09, 2019 12:00 PM  

"Nate, there are literally dozens of quarterbacks out there capable of doing the job."

I think its easy to say that after a glance. take a look at the actual numbers and advanced stats Ryan is putting up.... and get back to me.

And remember... we already saw this same team with another QB. it was scoring 10 points a game.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts