ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2019 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Monday, February 17, 2020

The terrible pressure of fame

It's not Jordan Peterson's fault. He's not weak. He's not psychologically broken. Sometimes, definitely not methamphetamine is the only way to cope with the terrible pressure of success and fame:
Fame can send people into a tailspin, and this kind of fame, especially so. Peterson has hundreds of thousands of fans around the world, and they have brought him wealth and renown. He also has hundreds of thousands of enemies, and many of them work in the media. The fans love him for what he says and writes, and for the conviction he adds to it. The enemies hate him for what he is. They put him ever on the defensive. He must prove his innocence, and he can’t. In their company, the issues aren’t salient; he must justify himself. Worse, he must justify himself to people who will never believe that he is justified.

It’s exhausting; it’s exasperating. The people who have challenged Peterson to explain himself, and who then mangle his explanations, seem altogether secure in their position. They have big institutions and left/liberal culture behind them. They will leave the interview unchanged. Peterson, meanwhile, walks away, irritated and uncertain.

I am not sure that these episodes played a large role in his collapse, along with the illnesses in his family and the fatigue of nonstop travel and the medications. But this set-up, crafted by an academia/media juggernaut that demands fealty to dogmas about patriarchy, racism, and gender fluidity, is a unique type of pain. It is dispiriting to sit down with someone for the first time and read in his eyes dislike. It’s singularly frustrating to realize that nothing you say will lift the cloud over your head. And then to maintain your politeness . . . well, Peterson deserves a rest.
It's interesting to note that one never sees this sort of sympathy expressed for Milo, for Richard Spencer, or for any evil white racist sexist homophobe who is pilloried relentlessly by the media. In other words, they're still trying to salvage Jordan Peterson, the Right Answer for Young Men, despite the fact that he is observably a trainwreck of an individual.

Labels: ,

50 Comments:

Blogger Up from the pond February 17, 2020 10:55 AM  

They shouldn't worry. They still have Yoram Hazony.

Blogger Joe Smith February 17, 2020 11:26 AM  

The only thing Peterson knows for sure is that it's Not His Fault. He was just trying to smoke some ice, guys. What's next?

Also:

The people who have challenged Peterson to explain himself, and who then mangle his explanations...

Good for a laugh.

Blogger Daniele Grech Pereira February 17, 2020 11:28 AM  

Keep yer stick on the ice, Jordie. Don't be skating into the corners with yer head down like that, eh!

Blogger TheMaleRei February 17, 2020 11:49 AM  

Yet more evidence that Peterson is controlled opposition. Just in case some were not paying attention.

Blogger Scuzzaman February 17, 2020 11:53 AM  

It’s like Vox doesn’t exist.

Imagine the Supreme Dark Lord with “big institutions and the left/liberal media” behind him.

Has he not challenged the tinpot messiah, JP?
Was his challenge not exceedingly more effective (not to ignore, rational) than the likes of the channel 4 bimbette?

It is to lolz.

Blogger Doktor Jeep February 17, 2020 11:54 AM  

Fame never seems to bother dark lords.

Blogger KPKinSunnyPhiladelphia February 17, 2020 12:00 PM  

Those of us who from time to time follow the "fake it till you make it" principle do so with at least some sense of bottom line value, truth, or reality.

Sorta like, "I know A, but I'll fake B until I can get really moving on B" can be a useful way to advance the ball...as long as you aren't deceiving yourself about how much you REALLY know, or don't know, about B at the moment, and that you eventually try to get your arms around B.

And then there are people who fake everything, or significant parts of things, in order to make it. Such individuals are either complete psychopaths, with complete knowledge of their deception, or deluded rationalizers.

Fakery drives both sub species.

Peterson belongs to the latter category.

The psychopath strolls confidently into his fate, which could be great for him, or awful. But it's never mentally corrosive. The psychopath in the end has no problem with himself because he has no moral moorings. He revels in the deception; it's thrilling. Think Iago. Or, more recently, Michael Avenatti.

The deluded rationalizer eventually crumbles, being the "trainwreck" Vox notes. The fakery is completely corrosive, the pretense becomes overwhelming, and the more successful the pretense is, the more overwhelming it becomes. And so the psyche goes down the drain.

I predict that Peterson will never recover.

Blogger Daniel February 17, 2020 12:26 PM  

So, he stood up (in the middle) to the pronoun left, took his damn pills, let the kids skate, and now needs a break from life?

The 12 Rules worked perfectly!

Blogger weka February 17, 2020 12:29 PM  

They want more trainwrecks.

We want the train to run fine.

Blogger MJ February 17, 2020 12:39 PM  

Excellent point re Milo and Spencer. I would add Alex Jones in there as well.

Blogger Zander Stander February 17, 2020 12:47 PM  

Lets not lump R. Spencer with uncontrolled opposition.

Blogger Jim the Curmudgeon February 17, 2020 1:01 PM  

" The fans love him for what he says and writes, and for the conviction he adds to it."

Bwahaha! 'Conviction'? Peterson? The guy who talks in vague platitudes and hedges himself at every opportunity?

The only time I have seen him 'talk with conviction' is when he was trying to pretend that IQ is a sufficient explanation for the over-representation of a particular group of people in positions of power. Other than that, he spews out more waffles than the average IHOP franchise.

It is very interesting to see how even the MSM is trying to salvage his failing career.

Blogger Balkan Yankee February 17, 2020 1:06 PM  

JBP is teasing us with his prolonged act of self-destruction. He should try the insanity peppers next time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3CyMWS7YXA

Blogger Akuma February 17, 2020 1:15 PM  

Hes a PSYCHOlogist. What did you expect? The loser's entire life and career is backed by pseudoscience. Though, it could be better for us, he didnt die after following a dew and air diet after all.

Blogger Up from the pond February 17, 2020 1:26 PM  

Rumor has it Peterson suffered significant brain damage.

If this is true, will we next see his handlers main staging a potato as a genius for shekels? That kind of thing has been done before; search "David Helfgott."

Here is the NYT on one of Helfgott's recitals: "he stares into the hall and renders a nonstop commentary of grunts, groans and mutterings."

Blogger Coyote Man February 17, 2020 1:38 PM  

"It's interesting to note that one never sees this sort of sympathy expressed for Milo, for Richard Spencer, or for any evil white racist sexist homophobe who is pilloried relentlessly by the media."

Its hard for anybody to have sympathy for Milo after those comments he made on that Drunken Peasants were unearthed where he defended "cross-generational relationships" in the context of a conversation about sexual relationships between men and adolescent boys. Maybe he was referring to platonic relationships, but in that context it still looks really ugly and normal people would have a tough time defending him.

Richard Spencer is an idpol goon who is only taken seriously by other goons. Wignat ideology doesn't seem that different than the EU. He's a fringe weirdo whose fringe beliefs don't line up with media leftism or anybody on the right so of course he doesn't have any sympathy.

Whatever anybody thinks about Peterson, in his defense his wife came down with cancer. Its perfectly normal to have sympathy for someone in that situation. Spencer and Milo don't have anything like that going for them that would generate sympathy.

Blogger Fuzzums Wuzzums February 17, 2020 1:55 PM  

Imagine the headlines and memes:
Man Who Famously Said "Take Your Pills" Dies for Taking His Pills

Blogger VD February 17, 2020 2:00 PM  

Whatever anybody thinks about Peterson, in his defense his wife came down with cancer.

Terminal cancer, we were told. Apparently of a sort not dissimilar to being turned into a newt, as she got better.

Blogger VD February 17, 2020 2:02 PM  

in that context it still looks really ugly and normal people would have a tough time defending him.

What Milo said is absolutely nothing compared to what Jordan Peterson wrote concerning his dreams about his cousin and his grandmother. That dog doesn't hunt at all.

Blogger tublecane February 17, 2020 2:09 PM  

"he must justify himself to people who will never believe that he is justified"

Sounds like Kafka, which would be up his alley. Or simply that he has a guilty conscience. Because it can feel difficult to justify oneself when you know you're an unrighteous man.

Peterson has already achieved status beyond need for constant justification. If he could content himself with being a regular type of pop-psychological, professorial snake oil salesman, who would be after him to justify himself? Not many.

It's the push for superstar general intellectual guruism that invokes the Furies and grants him no rest.

Blogger Boomer55 February 17, 2020 2:15 PM  

@16
AFAIK, Spencer might be spooky, and Peterson is 99% controlled opposition. I give Milo a lot of respect because he admits the Psychology literature is siding more with nurture than nature on homosexuality, and many homos have suffered demonic sexual abuse. FFS, even Peterson has been arguing for the "born this way" argument despite the latest literature HE IS SUPPOSED to be up to date with.

Blogger APL February 17, 2020 2:30 PM  

" and who then mangle his explanations .."

That's a bit rich. His explanations come pre-mangled.

Blogger Sologamer February 17, 2020 2:33 PM  

The guy was in an induced coma for a week and sustained brain damage, according to his daughter. He will (in fact, he already has) disappear from the stage for good.

Blogger Ora Tevzre February 17, 2020 2:53 PM  

Perhaps JP could start his recovery by tidying his room. Now there's a cunning plan. :-)

Blogger Noah B. February 17, 2020 2:55 PM  

Cider is a hell of a drug.

Blogger Gregory the Tall February 17, 2020 2:57 PM  

https://americanaddictioncenters.org/meth-treatment/effects-on-the-brain-and-cns
Quote: "The body of evidence indicates that chronic use of methamphetamine can result in diffuse brain damage that occurs via neuronal death."
So now they are saying it's because of induced coma?!

Blogger Zander Stander February 17, 2020 3:06 PM  

Exeunt Jordanus.

Blogger OneWingedShark February 17, 2020 3:13 PM  

KPKinSunnyPhiladelphia wrote:Those of us who from time to time follow the "fake it till you make it" principle do so with at least some sense of bottom line value, truth, or reality.
The ONLY time I have EVER seen "fake it `till you make it" work is in the military; as a specific example consider the fat or unathletic kid who arrives in Basic Training and "fakes it" (keeps going on, even if it's brutal or he's [at that point] physically incapable) until he actually graduates ("makes it").

Contrast that with the time's I've seen that in my civilian career doing programming: EVERY time someone's faked the demo, they crash and burn. It's almost always management thinking "we can catch up", but I've never seen it.

weka wrote:They want more trainwrecks.
We want the train to run fine.

This would explain why they want ever more H1Bs… despite the native population becoming rather unsatisfied.

Blogger stevo February 17, 2020 3:43 PM  

I was all in for JPB, thank God that when Vox (who I was also all in for) shot him down I knew who to trust. In retrospect there were so many red flags that I ignored. Learned a lot about myself and my need for a strong leader. Right now I'm wondering why we never get an update on Peterson's wife's terminal cancer.

Blogger Jake February 17, 2020 3:59 PM  

What is your take on Peterson's relationship with God? Despite his ambiguous god-talk, I would posit that he has not belief in God, or he's have more strength to deal with adversity. He's just a fraud, all the way to his god-talk or mumblings about matters of the spirit.

And he must be extraordinarily weak of spirit. Even Richard Spencer, a agnostic or atheist, deals with the attacks and pressure better (regardless of who or who is not controlled opposition).

Blogger Beehive Bear February 17, 2020 4:19 PM  

I listened and listened to JBP so that I might eventually understand the theology that underpinned his psychology that expressed his actions in life. It took a long time for him to express his theology openly, but in the end he got there. Remember when he swerved into theology away from psychology? It wasn't interesting. It was derivative. His theology is fairly standard mid-20th century fare that at that time garnered both Protestant and modernising Catholics alike. I thought he might synthesise something new from this Christian theology that could adhere to his devotion to Jung's thought. What I mean is, I thought he might synthesise something new from Churchian theology that could adhere to his devotion to Jung's satanic thought. But no. When his theology approached psychological meaning, whatever that means to him, his theology hid its head. There was no synthesis. His theology remained bog-standard, and his psychology became obfuscatory and dissimulative. For JBP, his meaning was his license. Who needs to listen to that anymore?

Blogger Akulkis February 17, 2020 4:23 PM  

"Lets not lump R. Spencer with uncontrolled opposition."

Opposition, controlled, sacrificial.

I'm sure it's just a pseudonym he uses for this role. Goes about his daily life under another name.

Blogger Coyote Man February 17, 2020 4:40 PM  

"in that context it still looks really ugly and normal people would have a tough time defending him.

What Milo said is absolutely nothing compared to what Jordan Peterson wrote concerning his dreams about his cousin and his grandmother. That dog doesn't hunt at all."

Nah. Peterson was describing something entirely fictional and its doubtful he has any real control over what happens in his dreams. Relating those dreams in public definitely makes him look bad, but he's not exactly condoning incest.

Milo made a conscious decision to make statements that appear to condone the very real sexual use of adolescent boys by grown men. Condoning that is a whole lot worse than merely relating bizarre dreams.

Blogger Coyote Man February 17, 2020 4:47 PM  

@21

"Spencer might be spooky"

I wouldn't say Spencer is "spooky" but rather "goony," if you can tell the difference in sense. I think of him more as a neckbeard but instead with styled hair.

"many homos have suffered demonic sexual abuse"

No argument here, but I'd say that all sexual abuse of adolescents is demonic and that Milo appears to condone it.

As for nature vs. nurture, I don't think anybody really knows for sure.

Blogger Don't Call Me Len February 17, 2020 6:07 PM  

he stood up (in the middle) to the pronoun left

In complete safety and completely ineffectually. It wasn't a stand, it was a show.


Worse, he must justify himself to people who will never believe that he is justified.

A real man wouldn't give a wet slap about "justifying himself" to pond scum.

Blogger Snidely Whiplash February 17, 2020 6:34 PM  

Coyote Man wrote:No argument here, but I'd say that all sexual abuse of adolescents is demonic and that Milo appears to condone it.


Reading is FUNdamental. You should try learning how.

Blogger SciVo February 17, 2020 8:14 PM  

Coyote Man wrote:Its hard for anybody to have sympathy for Milo after those comments he made on that Drunken Peasants were unearthed where he defended "cross-generational relationships" in the context of a conversation about sexual relationships between men and adolescent boys. Maybe he was referring to platonic relationships, but in that context it still looks really ugly and normal people would have a tough time defending him.

To the contrary, I find it very easy to have sympathy for a brainwashed victim still trying to justify that the evil perpetrated against him wasn't really all that bad. Are you ignorant, lying, or a sociopath?

Richard Spencer is an idpol goon who is only taken seriously by other goons. Wignat ideology doesn't seem that different than the EU. He's a fringe weirdo whose fringe beliefs don't line up with media leftism or anybody on the right so of course he doesn't have any sympathy.

He comes from a CIA family. The only way that he could be more obviously a plant is if he were to go on camera and say, "Hey guys, I'm actually working for the Feds, and everything I've said is just an act. Haha, suckers!"

And the left loves anti-democratic institutions, and loves anything that makes the right look bad. They should absolutely have tons of sympathy for the difficulty and risks of Richard Spencer's job (unless they're ignorant, lying, or sociopaths).

Blogger English Tom February 17, 2020 8:19 PM  

Lay off the cider bucko.

Blogger tublecane February 17, 2020 8:44 PM  

@33- "*Appear* to condone?"

Let's assume Peterson has no waking desire to consume the flesh of his cousin, or whatever it was. This is an example of Nobody Asked. Keep it to yourself.

The least disturbing reason I can think to bring it up is that Peterson is a sort of intellectual exhibitionist.

Milo, on the other hand, has cause to share with us the seduction and perversion of adolescent males. Because the subject is being forced upon us ajyway.

Blogger Akulkis February 17, 2020 10:23 PM  

>> Spencer might be spooky

> I wouldn't say Spencer is "spooky" but rather "goony,"



*SPOOKY* as in he's a spook, i.e. Intel doing street theater.

Blogger BriarRabbit February 18, 2020 12:51 AM  

What's next? Why, "GinnnUhSiiiide!?"

Blogger Gregory the Tall February 18, 2020 2:15 AM  

It was only after a series of five mysterious suicides among the staff of a Russian Valium detox facility that one doctor finally got to the bottom of this: "First I noticed that all victims met Peterson on a daily basis. Also there was the fact that all of those affected spoke English. Then we barely saved the life of a nurse who had cut her wrists. She told me: I do not know if it is what he says or if it is the way he says it, but this man lets me lose all hope." It was then quickly decided to put Peterson into an induced coma and after that to have him treated only by non-English speakers. So far apparently there have been no further suicides.

Blogger Sillon February 18, 2020 4:48 AM  

Jordan Peterson dindu nuffin, he was a good boi attending university...

Blogger Zander Stander February 18, 2020 10:59 AM  

Just the finale of his act. Take-away is: if you misgender transgenders and question,say, feminism, you are obviously insane. Just look were it got Jordie. This was all along intended to further off-balance normal people on the verge of questioning the narrative. Jordie is as *sane* as ever and was in no way affected by this, no brain damage or psychotrauma. This is just the op being wound down. Mission accomplished.

Blogger Unknown February 18, 2020 11:54 AM  

Dr. Peterson has always been a sincere man. He is not a charlatan. However, his attempt to return to Modernism and a rejection of Post Modernity which is basically: Man can be good without God results in destroying all his arguments.
I remember when he was asked about the existence of God, and he said that that was beyond his expertise. This implies that God is not necessary. His preaching of "archetypes" as necessary but not God was destroyed by Nietzsche (who JBP claims to know N's writings well) when N ridiculed the Victorians and others who believed that one could retain Christian principles and jettison the Christian religion. Of course, Nietzsche and Peterson ended up insane and mentally unbalanced, respectively, because of the realization of the chaos that would ensue without God as revealed by Jesus Christ.
I believe that his mental illness is a result of trusting his contentment on psychotic medications and Modernism and not Christ.
God bless, Michael

Blogger Snidely Whiplash February 18, 2020 12:43 PM  

Unknown wrote:Dr. Peterson has always been a sincere man.
What could possibly make you believe that. He's so obviously fake it fairly drips.

Unknown wrote:He is not a charlatan.
He quite obviously is a charlatan.
Stop trying to justify being taken in by him. It's better to admit you were fooled than to continue to justify it.
Unknown wrote:I remember when he was asked about the existence of God, and he said that that was beyond his expertise.
I remember when he was asked about God,a nd redefined God so he could sort of claim to believe in Him. And when he was asked about Jesus and attempted to redefine Jesus so he could claim to believe in Him.
It's okay to admit you were wrong. It's okay to make mistakes. I clicked on a fake Paypal link once. Sometimes you're fooled. It's not okay to continue to believe the conman when you find out he's a conman. It's not okay to try to justify your mistake, no matter the evidence.

Blogger HouellebecqGurl February 18, 2020 2:34 PM  

I thought Vox liked to remove low IQ folks from his comments. You should thank him for the graciousness he has extended to you.

Also, gay Neocon Douglas Murray had a love letter to his buddy, Dr Jordy, in the Daily Mail a few days back.
It was also gross like this.

Blogger Beehive Bear February 18, 2020 4:41 PM  

@45 I agree with @Unknown that JBP is sincere in his belief in the supposed necessity of Jung's archetypes. I think JBP would gladly claim that they are phenomenologically necessary.

@47 I agree with @Snidely Whiplash that JBP is conscious that his re-definitions of God and Jesus are themselves yet more Jungian archetypical figures. More phenomenology. Very convenient for JBP.

Good point, @Unknown, about JBP's attempt to reassert Modernism over Post-Modernism, but I think JBP was going further: I think JBP was/is still trying to craft a three-way synthesis of his phenomenological world-view with his psychology with Christian bricolage.

It can't be done. It always end in tears and madness .

Blogger Coyote Man February 19, 2020 3:23 AM  

@37

"To the contrary, I find it very easy to have sympathy for a brainwashed victim still trying to justify that the evil perpetrated against him wasn't really all that bad. Are you ignorant, lying, or a sociopath?"

Was he actually a victim? I'm only aware offhand references to a Catholic priest who supposedly molested him, but if you read those quotes in context they seem more like a misguided attempt at comedy.

"The only way that he could be more obviously a plant"

If he's a CIA plant then he's a total failure at it because he hasn't infiltrated any group that has any influence or that anybody takes seriously. Do you have any credible evidence that he's a CIA plant?

Blogger Akulkis February 19, 2020 3:29 PM  


Peanut Butter Jelly *was* an MI6 plant.
Now he's a real plant.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts