ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2019 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Thursday, April 30, 2020

And then they came for Tolkien

No, the SJWs not intending to police anything. They're not intending to ban anything. They only seek to educate and critique:
I want to preemptively say that wokescolds like me are not coming for your favorite media or going to police your enjoyment. Banning anything is not on the table. I seek to educate and critique. To paraphrase Anita Sarkeesian, we can enjoy media while being critical of its problematic aspects. Orcs are here to stay. Nobody is going to take away your Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance novels.

But understand that colonialism and its tropes are the original sin of the modern age. You can't divorce anything from it. Time marches on and so has fantasy literature. Fantasy literature and its derived role playing games have, like everything, been touched by colonialist narratives. It is important to recognize that. I love fantasy. I even love elves and orcs but to think that race science bullshit isn't part of its DNA is ignorance.

The way Orcs are depicted in fantasy literature mirrors the racist tropes and narratives about indigenous and black people that was used to justify colonialism and slavery. At various times there were ideas like the Curse of Ham, to Mormon views that black people and native americans were once white but cursed by God, to later eugenic and race science views. All of this was in the zeitgeist when Orcs were imagined by the pioneers of the genre like Tolkien. Elves too are evocative of race science mythology about a lost hyperborean master race that Aryans are descended from.

Excuses about how Orcs are corrupted elves then, fall flat, because that to is also a trope of racist mythology. Ultimately Orcs aren't real. They are made up. But they were not made up in a vacuum. When they were made up, they mirrored the white man's burden narrative. And the passage above is alarmingly similar to things written about human beings in those times.

I would say Eberron, Warcraft 3, and Elder Scrolls all made strides in reimagining Orcs Elder Scrolls also does a good job not making orcs canon fodder villains that are fair game for anyone to kill. I feel that Eberron got this right. The designer didn't make fantasy counterpart cultures and reimagined the monstrous races. None of them, except for literal demons, are presented as inherently evil and Orcs have a druidic order that protects the world from the plane of madness. But even that is going to be fruit of a poisoned tree to some degree but so is everything.

None of this is to say you can't enjoy DnD or even include Orcs in your game or cosplay as Orcs, but understand that there is a history there and that history might make people uncomfortable.
Translation: #Orcgate has begun. There is literally nothing they will not seek to take away from you.

I have a simple, one-word response: WAAAGH!


Labels: ,

135 Comments:

Blogger Unknown April 30, 2020 8:13 AM  

Looks like SJWs are back on the menu!

Blogger bramley April 30, 2020 8:16 AM  

#orclivesmatter

These type of people can't write very well, and when they do they write in exactly the same manner as each other, saying precisely nothing with a load of modish 'safe' words and weaseling. You could easily transplant any piece from one writer to another and it wouldn't make a difference. Hive mind in full effect.

I would note as a reminder to that trendy key-tapper that Europeans are indigenous peoples also if i didn't already know they have several 'critical theory' strategies on the go to prove that to not be the case, with the express intention of dispossessing us of our lands without so much as a twitch to tell of recognition of their own hypocrisy.

Blogger basementhomebrewer April 30, 2020 8:24 AM  

None of them, except for literal demons, are presented as inherently evil

Tsk! "demons" ? They prefer to be called freedom fighters against the Tyrant, God. This whole essay is very problematic, suggesting that these freedom fighters are evil.

Blogger Zaklog the Great April 30, 2020 8:25 AM  

but understand that there is a history there and that history might make people uncomfortable.

Then those people can just stay the hell away and leave us alone to enjoy what we like. You see, if your claim at the beginning, that you're not out to ban anything and no one is going to take away our orcs, were true, then that would be the solution and there wouldn't even be a need for this article. But that's not true. You lie in every word because you speak the language of your father, Satan.

And, as I commented on SeanKing of Akkad's video on this, if black people don't want to be associated with violent, primitive fantastic cultures, then maybe then can stop acting in ways that make the association natural. Until then, there's going to be no way to keep people from thinking these things.

Blogger Rowan April 30, 2020 8:30 AM  

Terry Pratchett wrote that Orcs were unfairly maligned, and that we need only understand them, sympathize with them...yes, yes, the eternal noble savage narrative.

That sort of thing is only necessary in a multicult. Maybe that’s the legacy punishment of world domination via colonial settlement. You are now forced to understand people that want to kill you just for existing.

Blogger SciVo April 30, 2020 8:30 AM  

Truly, these people are nigh-impossible to parody.

Blogger Bernard Korzeniewicz April 30, 2020 8:31 AM  

Orks are just ugly monsters, SJWs are just ugly morons.

Blogger Gregory the Tall April 30, 2020 8:34 AM  

So let us legally protect the poor orcs from the racist orcophobes,
the poor pedophiles from the sexist pedo(philo)phobes
and, of course, poor Satan and his poor minions from the religious bigotry of the satanophobes, diabolophobes and demonophobes.

Blogger Bellomy April 30, 2020 8:34 AM  

Ord didn do nuthin'! He was a good orc! He was gonna go to college!

Blogger Scuzzaman April 30, 2020 8:44 AM  

Only two words for that malarkey.

Blogger Sillon April 30, 2020 8:46 AM  

To paraphrase Anita Sarkeesian, we can enjoy media while being critical of its problematic aspects. Orcs are here to stay. Nobody is going to take away your Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance novels.

From all the 7 Billion humans to paraphrase... and they choose her.

This is an immediate "abort" red light in the brain.

Honestly as soon as I read her name I knew I did not read the rest of the text to know what they have to say.

Blogger d April 30, 2020 8:47 AM  

Contrary to their pretense, these SJWs are rabidly "racist". So much so that they publicly brag of racially discriminating against all the world's minority races that are native to Christendom. Apparently, what confuses people is the macabe nature of their "racism"; that it is directed at their own.

Until the target peasantry snap out of their radically submissive posture and abort the racketeering judiciary who relegated natives to an unprotected underclass, these Pol Pot wannabes will continue to snuff out Christendom, as Vox implies.

Blogger wreckage April 30, 2020 8:48 AM  

So, she's completely unaware of Tolkiens actual, explicit treatment of colonialism and the plight of indigenous peoples. Of course.

Blogger The Cooler April 30, 2020 8:51 AM  

The SJW concept of "Indigenous" reduces to absurdity, of course. What they are and are not actively deconstructing or willing to deconstruct is far more indicative of their actual objectives than any of the capricious horseshit they pretend has any sort of larger merit.

SJW Fake Think is very much like fake news: begin with a fact; strip away need-to-know-elements of that fact (usually by way of omitting other, equally-if-not-more-relevant facts that provide the larger perspective); analyze and interpret the then factoid; editorialize the analysis and interpretation; present the editorialization as factual -- and moral -- information.

Since critical thinking is now little more than a racist, patriarchal eccentricity, SJW-produced Fake Think bullet points are passed off as not just knowledge, but a morality-revised-with-the-benefit-of-hindsight set of weaponized ridiculousness that anyone with the intellectual equipment to perform basic logical deconstruction cannot possibly take seriously...

TL;DR -- pimpin' ain't easy, but SJWage sure is.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan April 30, 2020 8:51 AM  

The twitter threads about #orcgate highlighted over at BiC were either hilarity or horror depending on your mood. I imagine some poor sap conservative hoodwinked into accepting SJW authority and trying to reason with them would be a horror. I would lean to using it as entertainment, trying to incite them to greater goofiness for the lulz.

And you would think after decades of "Whiteness" race science they could actually come up with their own White Orc stand ins for their art. Instead we get basic Lifetime Network garbage, bad handsome white man ravaged me porn.

Blogger Alcuin April 30, 2020 9:03 AM  

Saruman couldn't have said it better.

Blogger Saxon April 30, 2020 9:06 AM  

Liberal sees race of hideous violent monsters. Immediately thinks 'well these are clearly blacks'

Blogger Teleros April 30, 2020 9:08 AM  

Funnily enough, the Warcraft 3 example was if anything undone by the later events of World of Warcraft. They were originally the old "noble, nature-loving & mostly-peaceful primitives" trope, but corrupted by demons into the rampaging, bloodthirsty horde, and Warcraft 3 saw them (a) expunge the demonic curse for good, and (b) try to go back to their hippy roots.

Then the Warlords of Draenor expansion to WoW came along and nope, suddenly they were always a bloodthirsty, warlike species, long before the demons ever found them. Suddenly those hardline Alliance characters who insist orcs can't be reasoned with & should've just been exterminated after Warcraft 2 instead of put into internment camps where they sit around & do nothing whilst being funded by heavy taxes on productive Alliance citizens (this seems familiar for some reason) sound a lot more appealing...

Blogger StrongCoffee61 April 30, 2020 9:10 AM  

Any association that people make with Orcs and blacks is due to clear sighted observation.

Rape, robbery, assault and battery, murder, cursing and screeching, etc.
Decade after decade after decade, the same orcish behavior of brutality and general brutishness.

India was under colonial rule for a long time and their people are dark skinned, yet nobody associates dot Indians with stupid violent fantasy characters.

The Leftist colonial and racism "theory" is obviously complete garbage.

Honest people's perceptions are based on pattern recognition from observed behavior.
Not on racists tropes and, certainly, not on the Cultural Marxist fantasy world that Leftists are mired in.






Blogger ZhukovG April 30, 2020 9:14 AM  

So SJW's see an Evil Orc in fantasy and immediately associate it with African descended persons. But we're the bad people?

Besides, I really though Tolkien was making allusion to the Ottoman invasion of Christian Europe resulting in the Siege of Vienna, broken by King John III of Poland and the Winged Hussars.

Blogger Brett baker April 30, 2020 9:15 AM  

Yeah, I noticed the demonphobia too. That this kind of bigotry is allowed...

Blogger Section 8A April 30, 2020 9:23 AM  

Joe Sobran's Hive Mind in full effect. This reads like SJW paint by numbers or SJW Mad Libs.

Doesn't the writer know it isn't 2015 anymore?

Blogger woollygardener April 30, 2020 9:23 AM  

Conspicuous absence of goblin criticism

Blogger Stilicho April 30, 2020 9:24 AM  

Admit it, we are all happy that this gives us an excuse for even more orcposting memes. #orclivesmatter

Blogger Steve Canyon April 30, 2020 9:37 AM  

"Educate and critique" there's enough gamma in that to make a geiger counter explode

Blogger BD April 30, 2020 9:39 AM  

"Your country is here to stay. Nobody is going to take away your flag and heritage. Ultimately, your country isn't real. It is made up. I would say leftists, politicians and gammas made strides in reimagining your country."

If Tolkien was still alive and had the misfortune to read this tripe, the author would be charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Blogger Teleros April 30, 2020 9:42 AM  

Section 8A wrote:Joe Sobran's Hive Mind in full effect. This reads like SJW paint by numbers or SJW Mad Libs.

Doesn't the writer know it isn't 2015 anymore?


As near as I can tell it's from ResetEra, so God only knows. That lot are a special brand of crazy, even by the usual SJW standards.

Blogger Unknown April 30, 2020 9:47 AM  

Dont forget,"orc wuz a aspiring rapper".

Blogger Silent Draco April 30, 2020 9:55 AM  

Illuvatar vult.

Summon the host.

Blogger Wraith April 30, 2020 9:56 AM  

Nobody is going to take away your Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance novels.

And 'nobody wants to take our guns,' either...!

Blogger tuberman April 30, 2020 9:56 AM  

The SJWs know that they are the ORCs, merely posing as Witches.

Blogger YehudaL April 30, 2020 9:58 AM  

I recall reading something about Minas Tirith & orcs representing Vienna and Turks.

But that doesn't make sense, Turks are European just like Austrians, cuz they're negotiating joining the EU, right?

And even if it was, who colonized Turkey? And what the h does that have to do with africans?

No way the writer is just a dumbass right?

Blogger ZhukovG April 30, 2020 9:58 AM  

@Teleros: Yes, but Blizzards writing has been Hugo Awards bad.

Blogger Jeroth April 30, 2020 10:09 AM  

The culture of critique consumes everything in its path.

Blogger Unknown April 30, 2020 10:12 AM  

>>>I recall reading something about Minas Tirith & orcs representing Vienna and Turks.

>>>Besides, I really though Tolkien was making allusion to the Ottoman invasion of Christian Europe resulting in the Siege of Vienna, broken by King John III of Poland and the Winged Hussars.


The SJWs screaming COLONIALISM are always strangely silent about 1400 years of jihad.

I don't recall the Brits telling the Indians "submit, convert, or die." More likely it was "we're going to run things and tax you, go on about your business, except for burning widows."

Blogger Felix Bellator April 30, 2020 10:14 AM  

NPCs identify with NPCs. If it weren't for women like her there would be no half-orcs at all.

Blogger Long Live The West April 30, 2020 10:16 AM  

First paragraph explaining why he's not going to do what he's saying he's not going to do.

Second paragraph starting with 'but'.

Blogger Dos Voltz April 30, 2020 10:17 AM  

Ahh, the "old myths" he says, like the white man's burden. That old chestnut.`

I wish there were some kind of mechanism - I don't know, maybe something mathematical and scientific, like statistics maybe - that could track, say, "aid" money going IN to dusky places like Africa vs. aid money pouring OUT of dusky places like Africa. You know, to prop up and help out us pale rubes here in Appalachia...

I wonder what the proportion of the Peace Corps is comprised of horrible and oppressive whites vs. noble people of color.

I wonder if it might be possible to take a gander at crime statistics based on race. Surely the dusky non-Christians who've left their golden homelands to enrich us backward Appalachians are full of light and goodness.

Even though they have struggled with developing things like, say, THE WHEEL and CLEAN WATER, it is obvious to all that the dusky people are leading us to a better way, what with programming our computers on rocket ships and what-not.



Blogger lowercaseb April 30, 2020 10:20 AM  

let this lesson from the graybeards from the 70s pass on to the younger gamers. We all thought it would be awesome to get women in our games. Then we did and saw how the thirst changed the other players and ruined the game.

#NotAtMyTable

Blogger Ransom Smith April 30, 2020 10:29 AM  

Someone took 4chans orc posting too seriously.
I can't say I'm surprised.

Blogger swiftfoxmark2 April 30, 2020 10:30 AM  

They could always write stories about Orcs in Middle-Earth who try to redeem themselves, trying to reclaim their former selves.

But, of course, they can't do that because they lack all creativity.

Blogger Maniac April 30, 2020 10:31 AM  

Seems a disgruntled employee has leaked some images from "The Last of Us 2," and the reviews have been underwhelming, to say the least. Many folks are directly blaming Ms. Sarkeesian's involvement.

She's like that nugget that won't flush.

Blogger Gallant April 30, 2020 10:34 AM  

Now now - if you like your Tolkien, you can keep your Tolkien.

Blogger Oswald April 30, 2020 10:34 AM  

Who is this Idiot? How many best selling books does he have to his name? Who is he to criticize a master?

Blogger Ibelin April 30, 2020 10:35 AM  

I just realized something... Thats is how they view black people! This is just projection on a whole different level. No one ever looked at an orc before and said "that reminds me of a black person".

These degenerates keep showing us how sick they really are and I thank them for it.

Blogger Azure Amaranthine April 30, 2020 10:36 AM  

"wokescolds like me are not coming for your favorite media or going to police your enjoyment. Banning anything is not on the table."

Outright lies. Also, this is where you can first tell that she's a witch.

"I seek to educate and critique."

Immediate response: F*** off, you're a lackwit whose opinions are undesired and fundamentally malicious, trying to mindbend people into a brigade to do your will.

"To paraphrase Anita Sarkeesian"

To paraphrase a female puppet of a male scam artist.

"But understand that colonialism and its tropes are the original sin of the modern age."

As opposed to, you know, the real original sin, witch. These people can't even pretend they're trying to do something other than dishonestly moralize.

"None of them, except for literal demons, are presented as inherently evil"

Untrue. The iconic Beholders just off the top of my head, in addition to devils and anything negative energy based. Hence, lackwit. Talking about what they don't know as usual.

Blogger Azure Amaranthine April 30, 2020 10:39 AM  

"So SJW's see an Evil Orc in fantasy and immediately associate it with African descended persons. But we're the bad people?"

Of course. They don't even have double standards. They just have pretenses that they have any standards at all.

Blogger Azure Amaranthine April 30, 2020 10:42 AM  

"Liberal sees race of hideous violent monsters. Immediately thinks 'well these are clearly blacks'"

Better, they see them as non-Europeans in general. Hence "colonialism".

Blogger Darren April 30, 2020 10:59 AM  

My interest shuts down and skeptical level rises to 9001 when an opinion-pusher begins with "To paraphrase Anita Sarkeesian..." -- to sane people THAT is problematic.

Blogger darkdoc April 30, 2020 11:00 AM  

Asswipes don't realize this is not about inherent racism of orcs, but rather the symbolic and historic portrayal of good against profound evil (the orcs, you know). But true evil is not recognized by SJW's. They imagine there is evilthink, but that is another foolish fantasy built in their heads.

Blogger Darren April 30, 2020 11:03 AM  

So I guess it's fair to say that these "type of people" writing these speculative works (SJW blogs) are guilty of the same "problematic" painting of others in an immoral light reflective of warped thinking popular in their contemporary culture. Minority though it may be.

Blogger SmokeyJoe April 30, 2020 11:04 AM  

And that's what it looks like when an sjw tries to shove a foot in the door....

Blogger Darren April 30, 2020 11:07 AM  

Most modern "romantic" "comedy" films make sane non-Gammas feel... "uncomfortable". But we choose to not consume those fantasy offerings, instead of inciting censorship of views we find abhorrent.


Blogger Darren April 30, 2020 11:09 AM  

Tired of the antidiablites getting 503(c) protection for their weekly minutes of hate!

Blogger Shane Bradman April 30, 2020 11:10 AM  

Unlike the rest of the fantasy genre, which not many people care about, Tolkien is loved by hundreds of millions of normal people. It is part of the western literature canon. Going after Tolkien is like going after Dante Alighieri or Shakespeare. These subversions will not last and nobody will listen to them. The fantasy genre is generally niche so it's easier for the subverters to take it over, but it's not possible for them to take over the western literature canon. They're trying to go from the kiddie pool to swimming across the English Channel.

Blogger Darren April 30, 2020 11:11 AM  

Many combinations of 2 words would be fitting. https://twitter.com/BidenInsultBot

Blogger dc.sunsets April 30, 2020 11:14 AM  

People who use the term "race science" know nothing at all about science (or genetics.)

Blogger Canadian Warlord April 30, 2020 11:14 AM  

Some interesting, recent discoveries I think point to the origins of fantasy near-human races. Indonesia has homo florensis, a hobbit-like being from 30,000 years ago - who apparently ate humans. This would have been when the place was connected to Asia by land. Also, 40,000 years ago in Russia there was a previously unknown, recently deceased human species.

I think it's pretty reasonable to guess that ancient humans went to war with, and destroyed their near species kin. Perhaps we were better able to cooperate, build tribes, settlements.

How many old tales derive from previous understandings? There were reports in the science journals for homo florensis, that there are still campfire stories about them. Have to wonder.

Blogger Darren April 30, 2020 11:14 AM  

Why color her fantasy world from which she writes with actual facts?

Blogger Darren April 30, 2020 11:16 AM  

Regress back in "history" exactly to the point where your version supports your nonsense narrative. But no further.

Blogger Daniel April 30, 2020 11:18 AM  

Grima Wokescold.

Blogger Darren April 30, 2020 11:18 AM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger Darren April 30, 2020 11:20 AM  

#NotMyPresident Syndrome is insanely strong with some folks.

Blogger Darren April 30, 2020 11:22 AM  

Jihad wasn't colonialism, it was religious expression!

Blogger Darren April 30, 2020 11:23 AM  

"White Man's Burden", because obviously the Industrial Revolution triggered climate change which made Africa so hot and thus in need of endless financial aid.

Blogger Doktor Jeep April 30, 2020 11:24 AM  

Looks like Orcpoasting is back on the menu.
Halo is next. Why, look how diverse the Covenant was. It was humans against diversity. Speciesists!

Blogger Darren April 30, 2020 11:25 AM  

Meh, that unflushed nugget is at least evidence of something once useful.

Blogger Darren April 30, 2020 11:28 AM  

The villain in a movie doesn't see zhimself as a villain.

Blogger The Depolrable Podunk Ken Ramsey April 30, 2020 11:31 AM  

Why stop at orcs? Any sort of villain or monster in literature becomes problematic, because an argument can be constructed by hook or crook to say that's making somebody somewhere look bad somehow.

It's only puppies and flowers possible in literature!!!

But wait! What does that say about somebody somewhere???

Blogger Crazy Dave April 30, 2020 11:40 AM  

in one of the last gaming cons (LA-based) I was at, we were running a multi-table special for DND 5e. Part of the prepwork we did as DMs was assuming different characters in cosplay. I'm not a cosplayer and def was never into LARPs, but one of us dressed up as a Drow Elf, who figured heavily in the story arc.

Wouldn't you know it, the fattest, most unattractive trans-testicle SJW complained about people showing up at the convention in "black face" and proceeded to lecture on and on about the horrors of racial inequality, etc. The con coordinators backed off immediately, apologized profusely, and even offered to make reparation by making a donation to some rainbow charity or some stupid shit like that.

I tried to trend #DrowLivesMatter and #DrowFace as much as possible.

Blogger SamuraiJeff April 30, 2020 11:45 AM  

We should start calling SJW's orcs

Blogger sammibandit April 30, 2020 11:47 AM  

While I realize that the bar is set higher here I think for simplicity sake I'll be brief:

U, g, l, y
You ain't got no alibi
You ugly

Blogger BillHinDaytona April 30, 2020 11:47 AM  

None of this is to say you can't enjoy

I am so glad I have permission ...

Meanwhile, what is funny is the use of the term "original sin".

The original sin of the modern age is not colonialism and its tropes; the original sin of the modern age is the same as ages previous, that is, it's the continuity of original sin in mankind, but now with more powerful technological tools. (See Verdun.)

Mankind remains fundamentally predisposed to sin, that is, remains corrupted by concupiscence, which corrupts even human reason.

Even Ms. SmartGirl who wrote this silly essay on a message board is guilty of it ... but being a heathen, she doesn't realize it.

Blogger tuberman April 30, 2020 11:49 AM  

Awaiting the day when those of the druidic order, and other sorcerers become PUFF applicable.

Blogger Jpc April 30, 2020 11:49 AM  

SJW "We need to have a conversation"

I have made up my mind and you must change your view.

Blogger 1LLoyd April 30, 2020 11:54 AM  

Such ignorance of history. Such ignorance of Tolkien. Such ignorance of Lord of the Rings. Such ignorance of D&D. This argument cannot be dealt with didactically. Time to go to rhetoric.

The "facts" were so wrong, I had to stop and catch my breath and think about it. Then I realized this is a manipulation attempt. I like Daniel's comment -- Grima Wokescold.

Blogger DonReynolds April 30, 2020 11:59 AM  

By what right or authority do the SJWs presume to critique and educate? Their twisted and selective view of history automatically disqualifies them from being able to educate anyone on any subject. Their Agenda makes it impossible to believe that any SJW critique is based on an objective judgement, free of automatic bias and distortion.

These views they are permitted to have and they can even share and relate them to each other. That does not mean that I have to indulge them, or submit to their malice and abuse and interrogation ....particularly in public.... or that they are above reply or rejoinder. If they want a war of words, that would be fine, but expect to receive as much as you give. WE are not sheep bound for slaughter, whimpering and struggling against our restraints. WE will return fire and hit to hurt. This is not a sport or hobby. It is a matter of survival. Running away is no longer an option, there is no place to hide, and the enemy will not accept your surrender.

Blogger urthshu April 30, 2020 12:06 PM  

Orc is french and predates The Song of Roland. Elf is similar, both Celtic or Norse, and commonly enough known about at the time Tolkien wrote. My only gripe about his treatment of each is how ordinary they came across. The source material is far more fantastic, varied, horrific, magical, etc but that was probably a goal.

I do think the article supports Jeffro Johnson's Appendix N argument in that she doesn't know what came before and can't incorporate it even if she did.

Blogger urthshu April 30, 2020 12:11 PM  

"Liberal sees race of hideous violent monsters. Immediately thinks 'well these are clearly blacks'"

They can also be thought of in historical parallels. Conquistadors as orcs invading an Inca elf kingdom works well enough.

Blogger Snidely Whiplash April 30, 2020 12:11 PM  

Tolkien was born and spent his first several years in sub-Saharan Africa.
He knew his subject.

Blogger B-Rex April 30, 2020 12:14 PM  

"I have dubbed myself wokescold, but i promise, im not here to scold you"

Blogger Balkan Yankee April 30, 2020 12:16 PM  

Sounds like Orchestrated outrage to me.

Blogger Scuzzaman April 30, 2020 12:19 PM  

Darren

That’s a good one. Is that what they say - That Africa is poor because climate?

I guess if all cultures (except ours, of course) are equal then it must be the weather. What else could it be?

And the Norse were successful because obviously the opposite of scorching heat is freezing for three seasons and a short chilly summer to grow a meagre crop.

Retards.

Blogger Unknown April 30, 2020 12:21 PM  

The original article makes absolutely no sense to anyone who knows the history of Tolkien. Orcs in Tolkien mythology are descended from the elves, which are all presented as fair skinned. Terms like "Light, Grey, and Dark" for elves refers to their response to the original call of the Valar to leave middle earth to Valinor. It has nothing to do with genetic difference. Any genetic differences between Orcs and Elves are pretty much limited to whatever evil magic Melkor put into them. Both Elves and Orcs have on occasion interbred with humans.

In terms of symbolism, it's obvious that Orcs are meant as a warning of what can become of even the gentlest and noblest of beings in the presence of evil. The entertaining part is that is an apt metaphor for the scourge of SJWism itself. No wonder Orcs are now "racist" and "problematic".

Excuses about how Orcs are racist fall flat because Tolkien followed Christian religion. Only in that context can his writings be explored fully. Orcs were indeed made up. They were made up in the image of good and evil by a man who was serious about his morality and his worldview. That worldview is now under threat from SJW's who are such corrupted evil Orcs that they hate and fear that very morality. Their weapons are fake morality, and weapons are sophistry.

By their logic, any fact present means their conclusions are correct. This can be seen in the original article where the author presents Mormon beliefs as relevant. Tolkien was Catholic. Anyone who studies the religions knows they are very different at a fundamental level. Yet Mormon beliefs are considered proof of Tolkien's problematic nature.

Nothing from this topic can be divorced from its culture of origin. Not Tolkien's beautiful work as a fruit of Catholicism, and not your hackish attack on Tolkien's beautiful work. SJW's have a legacy of violence, destruction, and hatred towards anyone who refuses to bow before them.

No wonder Tolkien is under attack. His writing provides hints for modern people to arm themselves. It's time to muster the Rohirrim.

Blogger Dirtnapninja April 30, 2020 12:37 PM  

The more they attack, the more they multiply their enemies.

Blogger Grooveware April 30, 2020 12:37 PM  

The liberal left are at war with reality but reality always wins in the end.

Blogger Jonathon Davies April 30, 2020 1:00 PM  

"To paraphrase Anita Sarkeesian..."

Dear lord.

Blogger Chris DeBoe April 30, 2020 1:03 PM  

My recollection, from some years ago, is that the orcs were based on the Genghis-era Mongols.

In any event, if anyone had a problem with the way orcs are depicted in my campaigns, I would certainly change my game--specifically, the player roster...

Blogger tuberman April 30, 2020 1:10 PM  

@77 Don

"By what right or authority do the SJWs presume to critique and educate?"

They get their arrogance from such families as the Schiffs, the Rothchilds, the Warburgs, the Rockerfellers, the Meyers, the Morgans, and even the Soros family. All these families, plus a score of others have gotten away with whatever they desire for well over a hundred years (much more really). Their attitudes have filtered down to lesser people in their Narrative, who they encourage to destroy Christianity and the West.

It's these 'elite' families that control the various Narratives and give these proles (Narrative Worker Bees) their cheap authoritarian power -- for now.

Blogger Dan Karelian April 30, 2020 1:13 PM  

These wokescold characterizations are plainly nothing but damn goblin fables.

Blogger Laconic April 30, 2020 1:21 PM  

Isn't this like Owen's whole deal with grabblers? Were not saying all Jews and only Jews are grabblers. So they are the ones implying orcs are blacks or browns. Retarded.
Btw I want to slay some orcs

Blogger Jehu April 30, 2020 1:25 PM  

I'd rather have Orcs than Aztecs as neighbors. A lot of historical cultures were lower case evil with some being heavily influenced by upper case Evil. I bet the most SJW of SJWs would be calling for genocide within a few days of having to live bordering any of those cultures.
My guess is Sodom's population was primarily evil with its elites being Evil and probably about the same as the worse orcish tribes.
Games are way better IMO when there's a good mix of Good, good, evil, and Evil in your antagonists and protagonists. And guess what, the mix of those 4 DOES vary strongly by race.

Blogger Cataline Sergius April 30, 2020 2:03 PM  

I gave up on A Song of Grod after my first book failed. The experience left me a lot more aware of the importance of having a ready market for the story you are selling.

But I am suddenly wondering if a market won't be opening up for my orc Banner-Sergeant Grod shortly.

“You are not slaves!” The incredibly fat female snarled at Grod, while she dabbed wine off her nose ring.

“Honestly,” her male companion? Partner? Her something anyway added, “it’s been two hundred years since Fallen One’s War ended. You’ve been subjects of Columbiana ever since. Why do you people hang on to this outdated, retrograde, unevolved view of the world?”

“Because we’re slaves,” Grod said. “Slaves tend to be pretty unevolved.”

The skinny male jumped to his feet, nearly shrieking, “General! I demand that that this swine be flogged for saying, he’s a slave!”

Hoard-Brigadier Rauoo lifted his one working eyebrow at Kevo-Grod.

The Banner-Sergeant rose, barely keeping a smile off his face and addressed the male, “I do not believe that ‘swine,’ is one of the newly approved forms of address, Xyr! In fact Orcs find it racially offensive and possibly sexist as well, although I’m not sure about that one. Regardless, under Colombian law I must interpret this as a violation of the hate speech code under Title: CXXXVII. This constitutes a hate crime and therefore, under tribal law, you have challenged me to a duel.” The Orc then smiled which was almost literally shark-like.

The pale human turned much, much paler, raising his hands in desperate imploring supplication, “I’m not a racist!” He said in terror. “I. Am. Not a racist! Please! Please!” he clasped his hands together in panicked pleadingly. “I’mnotaricst-I’mnotaricst-I’mnotaricst”

The female human looked away from her companion-partner-whatever. The next soldier in line had clearly caught the golden arrow, there was nothing to be done for Xe.

“Doesn’t the whole, ‘my killing you thing’ bother you,” Grod whirred in abject confusion, “just a little?”

“I’m-not-a-raci… Kill me?!”

Blogger Akulkis April 30, 2020 2:10 PM  

"But that doesn't make sense, Turks are European just like"

...Elbonians.

Blogger Akulkis April 30, 2020 2:18 PM  

"let this lesson from the graybeards from the 70s pass on to the younger gamers. We all thought it would be awesome to get women in our games."

Speak for yourself.

Tomboys will adapt to whatever the men are doing, so you don't have to do anything to "get them in."

What you're talking about is the girls who want to play with dolls all day while mooning about what their wedding will be like.

If you're adapting a game by and for men to include doll-playing wedding-dreamers, you've fundamentally changed the game.

Blogger Akulkis April 30, 2020 2:23 PM  

" to sane people THAT is problematic."

That's not problematic, it IS A PROBLEM.


* vague allusion to something that's actually NOT a problem, but the writer wants to imply to the audience that it most definitely is, but we can't waste time debating this most definite problem that normal people recognize to NOT be a problem.

Blogger Akulkis April 30, 2020 2:31 PM  

"Some interesting, recent discoveries I think point to the origins of fantasy near-human races. Indonesia has homo florensis, a hobbit-like being from 30,000 years ago"

If that 30,000 year time is derived from Carbon-14 tests, realize that the C14 model assumes that background C14 has been CONSTANT for all time.

And if there has been any INCREASE in atmospheric C14 since the time of the life of the organism under study and the present, then the age of the organism will be over-estimated.

One thing we know about the earth and the universe in general is that it isn't static.

Blogger boogeyman April 30, 2020 2:35 PM  

The white guilt that is so much a part of these people's ideological heart is just a negative image version of The White Man's Burden (WMB). Under WMB, the assumption was that because Europeans and European culture was so obviously superior, and because all those brown people were both barbaric and suffered from diminished agency, it was the responsibility of good whites to bring the gift of their civilization to the benighted savages.

The wokesters still assume brown people lack agency and acknowledge they live in barbaric circumstances, but they blame whites for this. The assumption that whites are superior is still there, the crusade to make lives better for the benighted savages is still there, the only difference is the solution to the problem is the destruction of European and European derived culture instead of its spread.

Same band, same song, they just switched some of the lyrics around.

Blogger Sheila4g April 30, 2020 3:06 PM  

I'm equally bothered that so many here - yes, even here - immediately turn to the DR3 strategy (the wokescold sees ugly, evil creatures and immediately assumes they're blacks). I'm not the brightest bulb, but even I have figured out, after reading here for so long, that projection is to be expected. Regardless of whatever Tolkien assumed or based Orks on historically, it's something White people enjoy. It is based on White concepts of history and civilization. Therefore it must be torn down. Why, then, the surprise and outrage and dialectic in the comments?

Over the past few years I had developed the habit of reading generally poorly-written but entertaining TEOTWAKI/prepper fiction for escapism. Some writers were much better than others. At least half of those are now unreadable - because they've obviously been told to diversify their future imaginings (or be removed from
Bezos' sales machine?). They all feature a best black astrophysicist friend, or a butt-kicking beautiful babe. Even one
I found that I thought might be innocuous but enjoyable (about old people teaching kids how to survive) started in immediately with the sweetest cook in the nursing home's kitchen . . . and his boyfriend. After scrolling through page after page after page on kindle and seeing nothing but womyn, black women, mystery meat wymen, and questionable gender heroines, I stopped looking. As I mentioned to my husband (and as I learned here first) there is nothing they will ever leave alone for you to enjoy. There is nowhere they will not follow and nothing they will not police and destroy. It need not be anything beautiful and creative like Tolkien, but can be something as simple as prepper fiction . . . or a comic book. Anything which gives you pleasure that does not include them, or which they cannot produce, they will twist and destroy. Hmmm, sort of reminds me of someone else who cannot create but only pervert. When evil roams the land unchecked, you cannot think to reason with it, or even merely evade it. You must confront it. Choose your ground . . . and hold there.

Blogger JohnofAustria April 30, 2020 3:07 PM  

The thing is, normie cons will cave on this (and not just because they are cowards) but because they're incapable of defending the proposal that certain races could *possibly* have traits due to their genetic makeup.

Blogger sammibandit April 30, 2020 3:10 PM  

And the Norse were successful because obviously the opposite of scorching heat is freezing for three seasons and a short chilly summer to grow a meagre crop.

Currently, Scandinavia and the Baltic and North Seas coast enjoy a temperate climate owing to the warm sea air.

When a person digs into the sagas they see that the main problem was other people, or being like your parents. It's kind of funny. There could be a crop problem described but what stands in relief/highlighted is greed, revenge, wanderlust. These people have fully-formed characters and they knew personality is informed by ancestry. At present time, descendants can trace their lineage back and see they're pretty similar.

Sometimes I think a lot of these primitives' anxieties amount to a lack of language and a lack of geneology. You don't see these "woe is me I is ugly" angst in people who read their history.

Blogger Noah B. April 30, 2020 3:13 PM  

Why does he hate science and indoor plumbing?

Blogger Scuzzaman April 30, 2020 3:18 PM  

I wish there were some kind of mechanism - I don't know, maybe something mathematical and scientific, like statistics maybe - that could track, say, "aid" money going IN to dusky places like Africa vs. aid money pouring OUT of dusky places like Africa. You know, to prop up and help out us pale rubes here in Appalachia...

Nice.

A LOT of aid money comes out of Africa. No really - a real lot.

It's just that the aid money that comes OUT of Africa goes directly to Zurich. It does not pass your door, it does not collect any tax obligations.

Blogger Didas Kalos April 30, 2020 3:48 PM  

I border on being a pacifist. ;) But that made me want to punch the face of whomever spoke that dribble, until they went to hide for ever.

Blogger weka April 30, 2020 3:56 PM  

No. If you all go and look at the British cartoons of the him during the great war, you can see the genesis of the Orcs.

Remember, Tolkien was composing an English mythology for the England of his youth that did not survive that conflict. There is a reason for the Shire and Hobbits.

Which, together with his Catholic faith, means he is as hated as Lewis or Kipling.

Blogger weka April 30, 2020 3:59 PM  

@Wraith, given that Ardern pushed more fun legislation as soon as parliament opened after COVID 19 and that doofus is a hero to the woke democrats, yes they do. They want to take your guns, your church and your Bible. Because icky feelings.

Blogger Azure Amaranthine April 30, 2020 3:59 PM  

"So I guess it's fair to say that these "type of people" writing these speculative works (SJW blogs) are guilty of the same "problematic" painting of others in an immoral light reflective of warped thinking popular in their contemporary culture."

Even moreso. They assume that other people think the way that they themselves think, which is why they interpret any deviation, from their invested lies about themselves, as the most crass sort of perversion. They leap on people for racism and such because they themselves are either simpleminded, craven toward the narrative and traitorous/vicious toward decent people, or both.

There really is no helping a wounded and venomous creature, only crushing it.

"People who use the term "race science" know nothing at all about science (or genetics.)"

I think they're unwittingly using it in the sense of the root of the word science, to distinguish, but through them that's inverted like they themselves are, so it's "inability to distinguish" or no distinction. This looks like the result of systematic adulteration of the mind with particularly banal forms of wickedness.

Blogger Nihil Dicit April 30, 2020 5:00 PM  

I read a book based on the exact premise about Tolkien back in college. It was published some time in the late 70s, so this sort of self-righteous stupidity has been circulating in "academic circles" for a long time

Blogger Nihil Dicit April 30, 2020 5:04 PM  

Excuses about how Orcs are corrupted elves then, fall flat, because that to is also a trope of racist mythology.

Yes, the extremely racist mythology of W.D. Fard and the Nation of Islam.

Blogger Jim April 30, 2020 5:12 PM  

Sheila4g wrote:At least half of those are now unreadable - because they've obviously been told to diversify their future imaginings (or be removed from Bezos' sales machine?).
If you ever subject yourself to the YouTube channels of literary agents, you see exactly where this comes from. Checkboxing is the only thing beyond grammar and formatting that qualifies as "objective advice" these agents give. Everything else boils down to "write something I love."

You get a real good handle on why the traditional publishers are doomed and why authors chasing them become unreadable.

Blogger Zeroh Tollrants April 30, 2020 5:16 PM  

I need an explanation as to why any man thought it would be awesome to have women involved in their games.
No one should trust anyone that dumb.

Blogger Scott April 30, 2020 5:26 PM  

"But understand that colonialism and its tropes are the original sin of the modern age."

No, and you're going to burn in Hell unless you accept Jesus Christ as your personal saviour.

Blogger Meng Greenleaf April 30, 2020 6:18 PM  

As a young child growing up in a small northern midwestern town, I never knew any non-Whites and so I didn't see these fantasy characters as anything other than that, fantasy characters. After I went to University I begin to subconsciously assume that the humans were Whites, Elves were Japanese and Orcs - well, they had their place too.

Blogger Hieroglyph April 30, 2020 6:49 PM  

These SJW's really need to learn to read before writing anything, anything at all. The orcs could be many things, even descended from Elves. Nobody in their right mind thinks they represent black or brown people. What a sad, limited scope this is. I genuinely feel sorry for them. Lord of The Rings is such a glorious work, one that should be read many times, that only a hugely troubled soul could possibly be angered at imagined racism. How might a de-indoctrination program look? I do not know.

Of course, the Wiki for Orcs is all about the racism. I believe certain other sites are available ...



Blogger Silly but True April 30, 2020 7:23 PM  

“To paraphrase Anita Sarkeesian” said no sane person, ever.

Reading this almost makes me long for Wizards of the Coast’s gay, transgender orcs destroying the orc culture sooner than later to put them all out of their misery from having to be the target of lunatic thinkpieces like this.

Blogger Silly but True April 30, 2020 10:13 PM  

GM: "You finally decided to heed the divine wisdom of your magic box and headed over to the cleric's clinic setup to accept walk-ins concerned they are victims of the Plague. Besides the cleric and his assistants, you find yourself to be the only human in line. Everyone else are orcs. The plague is hitting the orc community harder than anyone else, because of their tendency to drink purple drank to excess and ignore recommendations to not hold weekend stripper parties. Also, the orcish economy is devastated because they're too dumb to even learn to code in the language of the ancient gods, COBOL."

Blogger Kiwi April 30, 2020 10:14 PM  

Fortunately, one decent solar storm could wipe away the digital era.

Blogger Ominous Cowherd April 30, 2020 11:01 PM  

Silly but True wrote:Also, the orcish economy is devastated because they're too dumb to even learn to code in the language of the ancient gods, COBOL."
COBOL. That explains what happened to the ancient gods.

Blogger Tryinghard April 30, 2020 11:21 PM  

Pete Thorsen on Kindle avoids that trap.
Fun escapist reading.

Blogger JohnofAustria May 01, 2020 12:04 AM  

Yeah, that language is so telling it's tell this is a fellow goy taught to hate himself

Blogger JohnofAustria May 01, 2020 12:07 AM  

Yup. Anyone doing the "those essjaydubaewes r da real rayciss" are morons and cowards. May God rebuke them.

Blogger JohnofAustria May 01, 2020 12:09 AM  

But a lot of Brown people do lack agency. Dont DR3, you're smarter than that.

Blogger weka May 01, 2020 12:39 AM  

@Scott. Amen.

Colonialism was a net benefit. Missionaries, hospitals, railways and British commercial law.

Of course the woke hate anything good.

Blogger OvergrownHobbit May 01, 2020 2:16 AM  

The most horrifying take on the orcs I've read. Based IIRC, on a gung-ho discussion on the old Wormtalk & Slugspeak blog.

NOT for the squeamish

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QKHZCZP/ref=x_gr_w_bb_glide_sout?ie=UTF8&tag=x_gr_w_bb_glide_sout-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B07QKHZCZP&SubscriptionId=1MGPYB6YW3HWK55XCGG2

Blogger Jpc May 01, 2020 9:23 AM  

I think you nailed the hypocritical absurd posturing of the white middle class liberal.

Blogger Ominous Cowherd May 01, 2020 9:48 AM  

JohnofAustria wrote:Dont DR3, you're smarter than that.
DR3 isn't going to bother the globohomo bunch a bit. It's worse than totally ineffective to say it, because if we try to cudgel them with it, we are adopting their frame and defeating ourselves.

It's true but it's inconsequential: Dems R Really Rayciss, but so are we all, as we all should be.
JohnofAustria wrote:But a lot of Brown people do lack agency.
How much agency can the average dude have, where the average IQ is 70? How much agency can his below average cousin have? (Hint: both would be considered retarded if they were Caucasian)

Blogger Darren May 01, 2020 10:29 AM  

Thanks for the clarification. The constantly "progressing" meanings and definitions according to the cultural scolds, who can keep up with all that nonsense?
The culture war is fought mainly with a War Of Words. :-(

Blogger Darren May 01, 2020 10:31 AM  

Carbon dating scam: research MOUNT ST. HELENS and what date ranges they came up with when analyzing rocks and whatnot that were factually 10 or 20 years old later. SPOILER: not 10 or 20 years old.

Blogger Darren May 01, 2020 10:34 AM  

All of the low flush nails hate the tall one sticking up and reminding them of their lesser-ness. And thus, bring out the hammer!
Envy is the original sin, and the core of "eqaulitarian" aka "utopia" nonsense.

Blogger tublecane May 01, 2020 1:24 PM  

Orcs as black has been a diverting meme for a long time, and I wonder what the point of taking the joke seriously could be at this late date. Because there is no stopping the Lord of the Rings cultural juggernaut. Even if you ban the books from schools and libraries, people will never stop reading them. The movies, likewise, are classics and while they can be edited there really isn't any way to cut the orcs out nor make them white.

Presumably this is about future projects. T.v. shows and the like. But who cares about those, really? What were the odds they'd ever be great and faithful to the source material? I mean,

Blogger Unknown May 01, 2020 7:10 PM  

If you are on Keybase (secure, encrypted, open-source platform for teams & file sharing), come join us at @orcgate

Blogger the other boomer May 01, 2020 10:17 PM  

There are Africans in LOTR, the Haradrim, whom IIRC Tolkein calls proud and fierce, and they even use elephants or something similar, "great beasts, like moving houses,... the mumakil" in the seige of Gondor. Maybe it's also racist that the Haradrim are with Sauron, instead of saving the world, but I'm with Sheila 4G, JohnofAustria, and Ominous Cowherd here; the SJW's nattering seems like a shit test, and the proper response is probably more like "yeah, it's (or I'm) racist. So what?"

Blogger Canada78Bear May 01, 2020 10:41 PM  

I like that they started early on with Anita Sarkeesian. You know that the article and everything after the name is a garbage waste of time with no value.

These authors are helpful to build in Metatags into their writing.

Blogger Ominous Cowherd May 02, 2020 9:10 AM  

the other boomer wrote:There are Africans in LOTR, the Haradrim, whom IIRC Tolkein calls proud and fierce, and they even use elephants or something similar, "great beasts, like moving houses,...
I always thought Tolkein modeled them on Dot Indians. Africans never used elephants, period.

Blogger MaskettaMan May 06, 2020 10:14 AM  

"Yeah, but...!" Don't even try to counter their arguments. It sets up a false dialectic and gives their argument legitimacy. You're exactly right to think the correct response is "Yeah, I'm racist. So what?"

Racism is natural and beneficial to survival. Memorize this credo and I believe you can disarm SJWs with ease.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog
Please do not comment as "Anonymous". Comments by "Anonymous" will be spammed.

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts