ALL BLOG POSTS AND COMMENTS COPYRIGHT (C) 2003-2020 VOX DAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.

Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Don't talk to the media, part 46,567

No matter how smart you are, no matter how nice and sympathetic the reporter seems, no matter how interesting your side of the story is, never forget that the deck is completely stacked against you, as a friend of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanagh was reminded in 2018:

This kind of appreciation for the skill of your enemy is essential to dealing with atheist materialists, whether in the old Soviet Union or in the modern media. Sure, the press is filled with people who are incompetent and make unbelievable mistakes. You and I might consider the MSM something of a joke. But don’t be fooled. In the midst of the mediocrities, you’ll also find experts and fanatics. You’ll meet people schooled in opposition research, psychological warfare and emotional manipulation.

You don’t have to like these facts. (In fact, you shouldn’t.) But you must respect reality. The reporter who has just called you with a list of personal questions might be a goofball — or a trained and skilled interrogator. Assume, to be on the safe side, that he is very likely a deeply damaged, ideologically obsessed and angry human being. One who cares nothing about you, fairness, or even your life. Just like the Russians who tortured Fr. Ciszek.

The Story Was Written Before They Even Contacted You

Every person who comes into the media’s crosshairs should understand this. Nothing you say or do is going to change the story they are going to write. Indeed, the story was written before they even contacted you. They will falsify quotes and leave out facts. They often have reams of opposition research (ugly tales about you) at the ready. If so, they will slowly dole it out to set up and trick a naïve subject.

To echo Fr. Ciszek: They are relentless, they are thorough, and they are good at their trade. Acknowledging this and not expecting fair or decent treatment will leave you more prepared than most. To become hysterical, or to even talk to them, is to play into their hands. Treat them the way surfers treat sharks — as a deadly adversary that should never be underestimated. I have been a reporter for some many years myself, and I have done a lot of reading on communism from The Gulag Archipelago to China’s Cultural Revolution. So after I hung up with Farrow, I knew exactly what was happening. I had been set up, and it had been a long time in the making. 

That's the key to truly comprehending why you cannot talk to the media. Never talk to the media. The story is already written. Even those who are ex-media experts, such as Pax Dickenson and me, only talk to the media in very rare and particular circumstances when we know we can undermine the pre-written story. But most people haven't worked in media for over a decade - remember, I was on the board of a television station in addition to having 19 years of experience as a local columnist (St. Paul Pioneer Press, Atlanta Journal/Constitution), as a nationally syndicated columnist (Chronicle Features, Universal Press Syndicate), and as a magazine contributor (Computer Gaming World, Electronic Entertainment) - and therefore have no idea what the pre-written story is or how it can be, in certain circumstances, undermined.

UPDATE: To be clear, Do Not Talk To The Media also means Do Not Respond To Media Requests. Don't politely decline. Don't obscenely decline. Don't write a wall of text explaining your Very Important Personal Media Policy. Ignore it and delete the email, because they can and will attempt to use anything you send them. Just ask Milo....

Labels:

72 Comments:

Blogger Unknown December 29, 2020 5:41 AM  

A certain quote from a certain comedian in relation to the priorities of reporters and its potential consequences comes to mind.

That being said, hopefully all the m(OSSAD)sm cabal stooges that participated in the treasonous fiascos against Trump will end up getting the capital punishment. That would make the world a better place (but the lessons of their deeds should never be lost in time).

Blogger Tim December 29, 2020 5:43 AM  

Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in airing his opinions.

Blogger Miguel Pereira December 29, 2020 5:53 AM  

Best advice every nationalist or Christian media figure should take is this one: the story is already written.

Either you know it, and, as VD says, you can undermine the pre-written story (and only then, very few people are capable or willing to do that), or you don't know it and should just stay away.

If only I had this advice given to me 12/15 years ago when I childdishly fell for the "just want to hear your side of the story" trap.

Blogger Tim December 29, 2020 5:54 AM  

The American news media sucks. They Lie, They Omit, And They Distort Everything. They do not report the news, they spew leftist propaganda. Everything they do is dishonest, everything they do is against American interests.

Blogger NedFlinders December 29, 2020 5:55 AM  

The single most important reason not to talk to the media is because an article that doesn't contain any quotes or at best contains dated quotes will always appear to be a bitter, obsessive hit-piece. It will be apparent even to the causal reader that the author is thinking a great deal about the subject of their article, but the subject cannot be bothered to give the author the time of day. After all, most readers would jump at the chance to be interviewed for any reason at all. Therefore by ignoring the journalist it becomes clear that their social status is so far below yours that they are not worth your time, so they are simply attacking someone who is clearly socially superior to them.

But give them so much as a single fresh sentence to quote and you have inverted that dynamic. To the reader you are now the equal of the author at best and at worst you are seeking their approval, which they sadly must decline to bless you with.

This is the animal kingdom in play. Nothing speaks louder to your station than the number of creatures around you that you can simply ignore.

Blogger James December 29, 2020 6:09 AM  

Unless your Sam Hyde being interviewed by Buzzfeed's Joe Bernstein? Haha... The joke was on Joe! I guess not everyone is a professional comedian, though.

Blogger Kingkong December 29, 2020 6:13 AM  

If Trump does nothing else in his presidency, his war against the media alone was worth it all. I'm confident he'll get his second term and further expose the media to the public to a degree we've never seen before.

Blogger Zastavnik Džemo December 29, 2020 6:18 AM  

I gave only one interview in my life, and it was on camera, and I thought they cannot lie because it is a video interview.
Boy was I wrong.

They cut out EVERY sentence that demonstrated I am intelligent and rational and patriotic.
And than they filled the empty spaces with THEIR hogwash.

Blogger Kingkong December 29, 2020 6:19 AM  

Sam Hyde was up to his old highjinks again in Nashville on Christmas morning. Mass shootings just weren't enough, he's moved on to explosives.

Blogger Unknown December 29, 2020 6:21 AM  

For years the sheriff in one of the three major counties in the Detroit area was known to be dirty, as was the county prosecutor, but they were politically allies of the major media bosses in town.

And sure, the prosecutor had been skimming for years, and members of their clique had been taking bribes for years, all covered for by the media.

Then one year it got so bad Obama's DOJ started rolling up the worst of the bribery ring, while the media here pretended to be shocked, when they were not trying to minimize the schemes.

But the thing that has always stuck with me-- A woman prisoner was pregnant, and insulted the shift commander. So they locked her in a cell and laughed and mocked her while she gave birth unattended. The media twisted themselves into knots explaining how it was all her fault.

I had been to some media classes early in my career, where they took a lot longer to say what Vox says about the media taking sides and writing the story ahead of time. And they were more polite, explaining the media sees quote marks as an approximation of your statements.

But that woman in the cell alone was when I realized the media wasn't just biased, they are evil.

Blogger Kraemer December 29, 2020 6:34 AM  

I should read Proverbs more. Every time someone quotes it, it's timeless wisdom

Blogger basementhomebrewer December 29, 2020 6:43 AM  

There just so happens to be 31 chapters in proverbs and most months have 31 days. The study plan writes itself.

Blogger MichaelJMaier December 29, 2020 6:46 AM  

Banging on the door at 3am? That's begging to get shot.

Blogger Parallax December 29, 2020 6:55 AM  

. . . Not that many of us here are in any danger of being interviewed by the press. Regardless, it’s not like the Communist Manifesto or Alinsky’s 12 Rules for Radicals aren’t easily accessible. Read people. Learn.

RULE 12: Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.

RULE 8: Keep the pressure on. Never let up.

And give The Big Black Book of Communism a spin, too.

At some point, even the most obtuse will realize that the infowar, along with the culture war, etc., aren’t academic abstractions but are real. Hopefully, before they’re sent to the gulag, digital or otherwise.

Blogger Crunchy Cachalot December 29, 2020 7:00 AM  

If only I had this advice given to me 12/15 years ago when I childishly fell for the "just want to hear your side of the story" trap.

Reference to "your side of the story" should always set alarm bells to ringing.

Blogger Rek. December 29, 2020 7:05 AM  

I don't understand evil, or should I say Evil.

I am a sinful and flawed individual have always been but had never taken it to the evil-level even before I knelt at the Cross of Redemption. I may have hurt some people, done some bad things but it was never about really hurting people or gaining something from it, or trying to destroy the life of someone.

These people are insane, crazy and possessed. They are demons.

Vox has talked a lot about Evil being one of the center argument for the existence God (I am paraphrasing of course and hope I am not butchering his thinking too much) but as I said in my opening line, I just dont understand it.

How does Evil happen? How do you become Evil? What is "evil"? Rationally it's impossible to grasp and supernaturally it isnt much clearer, so if someone feels like educating me please do.

Blogger T.L. Ciottoli December 29, 2020 7:13 AM  

"...whether in the old Soviet Union or in the modern media."

If you are to the right of them, culturally, socially, or politically, then they already wrote your story well over 100 years ago.

They are the children of The Lie, their father is the Father of Lies. What kind of words can you use, what kind of truths can you share, that they will not gleefully twist into perversion and lies? None!

Blogger John Regan December 29, 2020 7:24 AM  

Another good read along these lines is Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler. I'm not sure I agree that even the higher ups in the media are all that sophisticated. They can't win a fair fight. But they're used to having their way, like prosecutors, and used to exploiting, not to mention protecting, their advantage. None of which is to disagree with with the proposition that at this point there is no reason whatever to even talk to them.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan December 29, 2020 7:29 AM  

Any way to take the offensive against the media?

Blogger VD December 29, 2020 7:32 AM  

Any way to take the offensive against the media?

Yes. Stop consuming it. That is the only thing you need to do. And yet, somehow, simply turning off Fox or CNN is beyond the vast majority of people who claim to believe that the media is the enemy.

Turn. It. Off.

I watched CNN on Election Night. The previous time I'd watched any "news" was Fox News on Election Night 2016.

Turn. It. Off. And refuse to remain in the TV room if someone else insists on watching it. If they ask, just tell them "I don't believe in Fake News".

Blogger Solon December 29, 2020 7:33 AM  

@9
He CANT keep getting away with it! The man's a menace that must be stopped!

Blogger Parallax December 29, 2020 7:37 AM  

Some levity is in order to illustrate the nature of the media:

The Pope was asked to give a blessing during the christening of a new Italian Navy ship. A podium was set up outside on the bow for the event. He arrived on the chilly and blustery morning, walked solemnly to the microphone, adjusted his tall mire and began his speech. Suddenly a strong wind whipped across the bow from the berth, ripping his mitre from his head, which unceremoniously tumbled along the deck and sailed over the bulwark and violently into the water. There was a collective gasp and paralysis from the crowd and security when his guards and even the helicopter began launching into action. Immediately, the quickly but calmly raised one hand and said, “Stop! I will recover my dress!” He then jumped off the podium and leaped graciously over the side landing firmly on the water. He then calmly strode to the mitre, plucked it from the water, shook of the water, examined it and then placed it squarely and firmly back over his head. He turned, walked back to the berth, up the ladder, down the side of the ship past the cars and crowd, up the gangway and back to the podium where he winked to the astonished audience and resumed the blessing as if nothing happened.

The next day, the Press, using a font larger than that since announcing the end of WW2, splashed the headline across the tops of their front pages: “THE POPE CAN’T SWIM!”

And that is all you need to know about the “Press”.

Blogger Call Me Mort December 29, 2020 7:42 AM  

As a former part-time journalist, I hasten to remind, there is no such thing as "off the record."

Anonymous Anonymous December 29, 2020 7:50 AM  

Avoiding television media is also important for you general mental well-being. Why submit yourself to exaggerated horrors and misinformation every day? Even the weather report is now irrelevant as you can get more immediate and accurate information by the hour through the Internet and have been able to for decades now. Ditto sports, finance etc.

There is literally no reason to watch this stuff anymore.

Blogger Zastavnik Džemo December 29, 2020 7:53 AM  

46,567 is a prime number. Illuminati confirmed.

Blogger megabar December 29, 2020 8:02 AM  

Hypothetically, under what terms of yours would you agree to an interview with an adversarial reporter? I'm interested in the most realistic ones, even if they are not actually realistic.

Blogger Damelon Brinn December 29, 2020 8:05 AM  

There's a well-known video called "Don't Talk to the Police," where a lawyer talks for 45 minutes about why you should never talk to the cops, and then a cop comes out and says, "Everything he just said is true." He makes the point that he's had years of training on how to get a subject to incriminate or contradict himself. It doesn't require that you've committed a crime, only that you get your recollections mixed up and say something technically untrue. So the likelihood that you, a complete novice at interrogations, are going to beat the expert, is slim to none. It's the same way with the media.

"The story is already written" is excellent rhetoric.

Blogger Colonel Robert E. Hogan December 29, 2020 8:07 AM  

I stopped watching TV period and listening to the news. I cancelled my newspaper subscriptions a few years back. The local papers were bought out by larger companies. I’m from east coast Canada and these days the headlines are about diversity in figure skating or LGBQT+ Xmas stories. Meanwhile immigrants from India, Middle East, are pouring in and locals are roaming around with masks on fearing the next virus variant.

I don’t believe I’m black pilled just wanting to be open, hear the truth and look for solutions. It’s great to hear you Vox - your experience, strength and hope. Godspeed always.

Blogger T.L. Ciottoli December 29, 2020 8:19 AM  

JC wrote:There is literally no reason to watch this stuff anymore.

agreed

Blogger VD December 29, 2020 8:30 AM  

Hypothetically, under what terms of yours would you agree to an interview with an adversarial reporter?

It's not about "terms". Your question demonstrates that you don't understand the point. Stop looking for excuses that would permit you to talk to the media. If you haven't worked in the media for at least 10 years, do not talk to them.

The "terms" of the interview make no difference at all. It doesn't matter if you record it, if they agree not to address certain subjects, or anything else. The only reason to respond to the media is if you are in possession of facts that they cannot ignore which will completely disrupt the story that is already written.

The most recent example: Big Bear responding to the Wired hit piece about Patreon. But that was a highly particular circumstance in which a) the reporter had no accurate information and got the most basic details wrong, and b) the correct information was a matter of verifiable public record.

Blogger SecondComingOfBast December 29, 2020 8:44 AM  

Until people stop insisting tbe First Amendment applies to traitors, liars, libelists and propagandists (it does not), we're going to have this problem and it will always be a major one. Nor will it ever be sufficient to trust the State, Deep or otherwise, to do any damn thing about it.

Blogger megabar December 29, 2020 8:49 AM  

> It's not about "terms". Your question demonstrates that you don't understand the point. Stop looking for excuses that would permit you to talk to the media.

Learning the exemptions helps you to better understand the principle. That's what I'm interested in. There is no upcoming interview with me.

This is always some nuance, even when "never" is a good working principle. For example, would you agree to writing an 'opposing view' column? Well, perhaps not if they could edit it and surround it with 'Here's why that article is wrong' text. Would you agree to an interview if you have the right to edit it until both parties were satisfied enough? Perhaps not, because you're positive they'll nix the article and write a 'Why we couldn't even have an interview with this horrible person' article.

I understand that there might not be any realistic terms (i.e. ones they'd agree to) today with the modern media, but nonetheless, it's interesting to me to see what you think would have to change.

Blogger VD December 29, 2020 9:03 AM  

I'm not playing that game, Megabar. No matter how many times I tell people not to talk to the media, idiots always think, "well, surely that doesn't apply to ME and MY circumstances, because I am special."

Two weeks later, they're posting or tweeting sob stories about how they contributed to their own hit piece.

This is all you need to understand: NEVER TALK TO THE MEDIA. You have absolutely no need to understand anything else.

Blogger Opus December 29, 2020 9:07 AM  

This is nothing new. In 1950 on the death of his locally eminent Father, my own Father was interviewed as to his Father by the local press. There is no suggestion that the local rag had any axe to grind against my Grandfather yet according to my Father the subsequent article bore little similarity to the interview given.

In a similar vein I received a letter from one of the world's largest globo-homo companies sacking me as a customer and quoting and quite correctly what I had said in their branch office. What they had also done was to excise two sentences(out of four)from what I had said that placed an entirely different complexion on my rage and frankly despair at their insistence that I metaphorically be deep-throated with cock. There is no point dealing with these people for although I have long been tempted to reply at considerable and damning length I feel sure that my letter will also be cherry-picked to paint me once again as a terrible person.

In like manner never forget that you can never be friends with a policeman.

Blogger Mr.MantraMan December 29, 2020 9:08 AM  

#20 been that way for a decade at least.

If Twitter is media the computer repair shop owner of Hunter Biden fame is suing Twitter for millions.

Blogger Maidels December 29, 2020 9:18 AM  

Reality is truth. Train your mind to recognize and conform to to truth/reality and not the other way around. Only the insane hold on to "real-life" fiction. Your temporal and eternal life and the lives of those you love depends on it. A difficult pill to choose. A painful pill to swallow.

Blogger Homesteader December 29, 2020 9:37 AM  

There are times in life where it is best to assume, that you aren't that smart.

(Reading here, for instance; just assume everyone here, knows more than you do.)

Such humility increases the utility of the intelligence you DO possess, effectively allowing you to punch above your weight, intellectually.

Thus-

If arrested, or even questioned as part of an investigation, just lawyer up immediately. Full stop.

If offerred an unethical business deal, quickly refuse.

If propositioned for an extramarital affair, run, no matter how tempting.

And, If approached for an interview, just say, no, and nothing else.

In all these instances- you're refusing on the assumption that you're too stupid to pull it off, no matter your SAT score; and your refusal is prudent self-defense.

Humility is not just an endearing social attribute; it is a life-saving survival mechanism.

Thus, as with so many ugly truths, acceptance, is the 1st step.

You're. NOT. that. smart.

Blogger Canada78Bear December 29, 2020 9:45 AM  

The more salient point here is that they are not your friend but an adversary and more importantly NEVER alone.

Your opponent has near infinite resources when you are alone, you cannot win by engagement.

They have co-writers/editors/researchers/etc which is how they will always win the interview.

Blogger phunktor December 29, 2020 10:09 AM  

God used the Evil of the Lamborghini butcher bitch to break through my wall of denial of the supernatural. And if Evil exists, so does Good. Scientific Materialism is bankrupt. I am free to see! Praise the Lord; thank you Jesus!

Blogger Alternate Future December 29, 2020 10:17 AM  

I just read the book People of the Lie, by Scott Peck. It does a pretty good job explaining how people choose to become evil.

Blogger Damelon Brinn December 29, 2020 10:32 AM  

My dad was interviewed by a local paper once. Nothing controversial or political, just a local-interest piece. He was still surprised by how badly they misquoted him, which made it sound like he didn't know the topic, to others who did.

I think most people assume that if there are quotes around a series of words, that means the interviewee literally spoke or wrote them, but it doesn't. Whether from malice, sloppiness, or thinking that rewording will make it read better, they will change your words.

Blogger SciVo December 29, 2020 10:37 AM  

I stopped watching TV many years ago because it's sick. You don't need "torture porn" in your head like the movie trailers for Saw, Wolf Creek, Hostel, and so on. Let alone shows like Dexter. Nothing good can come from getting excited by watching the infliction of pain, horror, terror, and despair.

If you need a political reason to stop watching, then either your mind is heavily calloused or something worse is wrong with you.

Blogger OMGDwayne December 29, 2020 11:01 AM  

"The story is already written."
That's one of those simple statements that has the impact of a punch to the face. And I can vouch for it.
For almost 30 years I was a graphic artist in the newspaper industry. That meant that I was always working with reporters and editors without having to actually develop and push the Leftist lies that they ALL worked to propagate. (The murdered lively vibrant was turning his life around after being arrested 20 times before he was 18. He was mourned by his tightly knit community of third-world savages. We can't mention their race because that would be all raciss and sheeit. Etc.)
My job was a very good one. I produced many, many diagrams, illustrations and other graphics that were very satisfying to produce. Towards the end of my career I was writing HTML, CSS, Actionscript and Javascript for online, interactive graphics. I didn't want to queer that, so since I was a right-wing fanatic of long standing I decided to stake my position as one who didn't ever, "discuss politics, religion or social issues." I maintained this stance even in those ChiCom 'diversity training' abominations. Since I wouldn't discuss it, I was thought of by all as a suspected racist. But I was in on all the deliberations, and I can assure you that the newsroom was a hotbed of extreme (((Leftist))) propaganda. The story was always written in advance for the most part. Especially after the Black Death of the 1960s.

Blogger Homesteader December 29, 2020 11:05 AM  

As far as television goes- I stopped watching when I went in the Army; even then (late 80's) it was insipid trash.

When I was in college afterwards, I had a VCR and TV, for when girlfriends would swing by. No cable, same reasons. Football games were over at my friend's place- they were social events.

These days- please. The nauseatingly inept bias and gaslighting evident after 5 minutes of any commercial news broadcast makes me wonder at the astounding gullibility of the target audience.

Cancel it, cut it, just stop participating in your own subversion, whether by viewing, or being interviewed. They hate you, and want you dead.

It is that simple.

Blogger T.L. Ciottoli December 29, 2020 11:10 AM  

SciVo wrote:Nothing good can come from getting excited by watching the infliction of pain, horror, terror, and despair.

Trauma-based mind control. It's a thing.

Blogger Duh December 29, 2020 11:20 AM  

Treat the media like stalkers. They thrive on your response, any response. It's oxygen for them. The only way to deal with them is them to deprive them of it. Completely. Do not acknowledge their existence in any way.

Blogger Zeroh Tollrants December 29, 2020 11:36 AM  

Coincidence that you posted this today because last night I tweeted-
a good reminder to-
Never talk to the cops
Never talk to the Feds
Never talk to the IRS
AND never, ever, ever talk to
the media. About anything. Ever.

There are no exceptions, you're not as smart & witty as you think you are.

Blogger RA December 29, 2020 11:38 AM  

I think what Megabar fails to grasp is the *very* long history of media shaping the narrative. That behavior has been around since long before any of our grandfathers were born. Anyone recall reading in their history books about the vituperative media in the 19th century? Hey we have the same today, only it's magnified by the internet and social media.

The "nuance" presented is nothing more than sophistry that assumes one can be smarter than the media. Also this sophistry does not have an ounce of humility in it. The internet is forever and so are the edited and garbled quotes.

Blogger Oswald December 29, 2020 12:06 PM  

And so, when we see a story, that at the end has something to effect, "such and such was contacted, but we received no response", we can know the story was in fact already written, prior to their reaching out to the victim, I mean the subject of the story to get a response or comment.

Blogger Doktor Jeep December 29, 2020 12:07 PM  

I recall Pax once sending some journalist on a snipe hunt, meet me here or there, then stood the journalist up with much prejudice.

Blogger Homesteader December 29, 2020 12:23 PM  

SciVo said:

"I stopped watching TV many years ago because it's sick. You don't need "torture porn" in your head like the movie trailers for Saw, Wolf Creek, Hostel, and so on. Let alone shows like Dexter. Nothing good can come from getting excited by watching the infliction of pain, horror, terror, and despair."

I suppose this all the way goes back to Bosch, Titian, and The Brothers Grimm; we've always liked our horror stories and pictures.

We just didn't have video until recently. A painting is a world away from 4k torture porn.

I read Stephen King, as a teen; now I abhor him and his work, for much the same reasons you describe.(Plus, he's just a shitty writer.)

I tell my kids that you can never unsee a thing, and so to beware of what they watch. We furnish our minds, as well as our homes; it's ironic, how we seek beauty in our physical furnishings, but so often seek ugliness in our mental ones.

Blogger Reprehensible Adam December 29, 2020 12:38 PM  

I always need advice. Thank you!
No wonder your blog is awesome, you were a columnist for 19 years

Blogger RedJack December 29, 2020 12:51 PM  

@47. Only talk to LEO's and Regulators if a lawyer is present. I have to on occasion for my job, and my EPA guy knows that I will discuss nothing unless the lawyer is there. Not even deer season, and we both hunt.

Blogger RedJack December 29, 2020 12:56 PM  

Homesteader wrote:There are times in life where it is best to assume, that you aren't that smart.

(Reading here, for instance; just assume everyone here, knows more than you do.)

Such humility increases the utility of the intelligence you DO possess, effectively allowing you to punch above your weight, intellectually.

Thus-

If arrested, or even questioned as part of an investigation, just lawyer up immediately. Full stop.

If offerred an unethical business deal, quickly refuse.

If propositioned for an extramarital affair, run, no matter how tempting.

And, If approached for an interview, just say, no, and nothing else.

In all these instances- you're refusing on the assumption that you're too stupid to pull it off, no matter your SAT score; and your refusal is prudent self-defense.

Humility is not just an endearing social attribute; it is a life-saving survival mechanism.

Thus, as with so many ugly truths, acceptance, is the 1st step.

You're. NOT. that. smart.
THIS! A thousand times! Vox posted my favorite little article about "Taking the Ticket" by CS Lewis a bit ago. So many damn themselves by assuming they are the smart one in the group. The one who can get away with it. I always assume that if "The pretty woman is talking to me in a bar, I am the target". The lure of being in the "group" is very strong. Integrity is very costly, but losing your soul is worse.

Blogger Unknownsailor December 29, 2020 2:00 PM  

Unknown wrote:A certain quote from a certain comedian in relation to the priorities of reporters and its potential consequences comes to mind.

That being said, hopefully all the m(OSSAD)sm cabal stooges that participated in the treasonous fiascos against Trump will end up getting the capital punishment. That would make the world a better place (but the lessons of their deeds should never be lost in time).


Everyone should have a local accountability file, and at the top of that file should be your local mockingbird media. Not just the on air talent, either, but editors and producers.

Should things get sporty, well, there is your intel file. Go forth and slay the heretics.

Blogger Dark Herald December 29, 2020 2:07 PM  

Think of it this way, if Goebbels Ministry of Propaganda contacted you for an interview, how would respond?

Because that is what you are up against.

Blogger Delaware Blue Hen December 29, 2020 2:08 PM  

I have a question for the group. First of all, I wish to state that I do not want to talk to the press. My problem is that I work for a large company that gets a large number of press inquiries, and we have a public affairs office to handle such inquiries. Usually, the press will contact the PAO first, but it is not unheard of for the press to first directly contact the employee who has the info they want. The standard procedure in these cases is for the employee to tell the reporter to go through the PAO first. My question is whether the reporter would twist this simple referral into an attack on the employee, and if so, how would the reporter go about doing the twisting?

Blogger Jack Amok December 29, 2020 2:41 PM  

Learning the exemptions helps you to better understand the principle.

Here's the only exemption you need to worry about: Will talking to the press cause them to lose massive amounts of money or not? If not, then SHUT. UP.

Blogger Barbarossa December 29, 2020 2:47 PM  

@57 Military operates under similar rules. In my experience, the only use a reporter has for a peon is if one is injudicious enough to say something like, "Off the record, XYZ Corporation is the worst place in the world to work" or "No one in my unit thinks we should here fighting in Iraq." Of course, if one is foolish enough to offer up such bon mots, a reporter is probably going to be the least of your worries.

Blogger Barbarossa December 29, 2020 2:59 PM  

Here's a quote from "Guys and Dolls" that goes to the very heart of the matter:

Sky Masterson: "...I am now going to stake you to some very valuable advice. One of these days in our travels, a guy is going to come to you and show you a nice, brand new deck of cards on which (Sky snaps fingers) the seal has not yet been broken. This man is going to offer to bet you that he can make the jack of spades jump out of that deck and squirt cider in your ear. Now son, you do not take this bet, for as sure as you stand there, you are going to wind up with an earful of cider."

It ain't a matter of being smart or dumb. It's a matter of recognizing that you have incomplete information. And I saw this very principle put to effect at a pickup basketball game. This somewhat dumpy white guy who probably stood about 5'9" or so told some guy he could dunk the ball. This naturally produced the usual expressions of doubt and with the bait set, one of the crowd (an accomplice I suspect) said, "Bet you $20 you can't." I passed because I knew exactlyu what was coming. With $200 on the line, this dumpy guy got a good running start (no one thought to set rules about dribbling or how much of a headstart) and naturally dunked the ball.

Blogger Black Robed Cleric December 29, 2020 3:33 PM  

I no longer speak to a woman I've known since 1999 because of this. She and I were talking, I commented that I supported the big, beautiful wall. She acted all nicey, nice as to why. I replied. Back and forth, then a few minutes later, she said, "This will go all wonderful in my new book!"

"Book?"

"Yeah. Over why the church has to change to attract modern people."

I got angry. "You said nothing about this being an interview for a book."

"Well, I didn't see a need. I'm having other conversations with conservatives. I was sure you'd like to be part of it."

"Use one of the others because you do not have my permission to use this conversation or any other in this book or any other."

"You could be anonymous!"

"You do not have my permission."

"Oh, I see. You're ashamed of your biblical interpretation."

"Not in the least. However, you do not have permission."

"Don't you want your side to get a good hearing?" (Wow. It's like they all work from the same playbook.)

"You do not have my permission."

"I won't edit it to make you sound bad." (Really? Why in the world would you think would be a concern?)

"You do not have my permission."

This broken record continued until she gave up. I have not spoken to her since and actively plan to not interact with her.

Blogger Delaware Blue Hen December 29, 2020 3:36 PM  

@59
Our company is involvec in a lot of research & engineering projects. So the peons in this case are the engineers & scientists with these projects. Our reseachers are encouraged to openly publish their research (if appropriate). Thus, it it is not too hard in some cases for the press to figure out who the technical PODs are for some controversial project.

Blogger OMGDwayne December 29, 2020 3:57 PM  

"Here's a quote from "Guys and Dolls" that goes to the very heart of the matter:

Sky Masterson: "...I am now going to stake you to some very valuable advice. One of these days in our travels, a guy is going to come to you and show you a nice, brand new deck of cards on which (Sky snaps fingers) the seal has not yet been broken. This man is going to offer to bet you that he can make the jack of spades jump out of that deck and squirt cider in your ear. Now son, you do not take this bet, for as sure as you stand there, you are going to wind up with an earful of cider."

It ain't a matter of being smart or dumb. It's a matter of recognizing that you have incomplete information. And I saw this very principle put to effect at a pickup basketball game. This somewhat dumpy white guy who probably stood about 5'9" or so told some guy he could dunk the ball. This naturally produced the usual expressions of doubt and with the bait set, one of the crowd (an accomplice I suspect) said, "Bet you $20 you can't." I passed because I knew exactlyu what was coming. With $200 on the line, this dumpy guy got a good running start (no one thought to set rules about dribbling or how much of a headstart) and naturally dunked the ball."

Perfect.

Blogger Ominous Cowherd December 29, 2020 5:16 PM  

Doktor Jeep wrote:I recall Pax once sending some journalist on a snipe hunt, meet me here or there, then stood the journalist up with much prejudice.
I'm not Pax. Are you?

Blogger megabar December 29, 2020 5:52 PM  

> I'm not playing that game

No games here, but I get it. Fair enough.

> I think what Megabar fails to grasp

This is reasonable if you read my question as 'how can I outsmart this principle?' But that's not what I was doing.


Blogger tublecane December 29, 2020 6:27 PM  

“They are good at their trade.”

Their trade of course not being journalism as it exists in the dictionary and most people’s heads. But rather:

1). getting noticed, and

2). dumping propaganda into the brains of whomever notices

That requires no special intelligence and virtually no professionalism. Shrieking madwomen are capable of drawing attention and compelling statements from people who interact with them.

They’re also dangerous, and not much good ever comes from giving them attention.

Blogger Rough Carrigan December 29, 2020 8:35 PM  

#27, yup. It's a good one. And as the main speaker notes, even former supreme court justice Robert Jackson (one of the prosecutors at the Nuremberg trials though by most accounts he did a lousy job) advised that even a completely innocent man should refuse to speak to the police.

Blogger Jack Amok December 29, 2020 8:41 PM  

But that's not what I was doing.

Well then Smart Boi, tell us what you imagined you were doing.

Blogger tublecane December 30, 2020 3:10 AM  

Rough Carrigan- How does one do a bad job judging a show trial? Did he flub his lines or trip over his robes?

Blogger Storm Rhode December 30, 2020 3:32 PM  

I was carpooling with a mid wit manager antitrumpist the other day who watched CNN on his phone while driving. After one story he said it was sad hospitals in venezuela are so bad. He just internalized their story and made it his. In real time. He is one of many. Not a bad guy, but wired to accept propaganda like automatic windows updates.

Blogger flyingtiger December 31, 2020 9:53 AM  

Years ago, a friend of mine was working in the ballpark. A national sports writer he knew was attending the game. My friend worked in the press box and watched the sportswriter at work. He was shocked that 3/4 of the printed article was written before the game started. I noted for the friend that this was the anticipated face off between two noted rivals. That is why the writer was there. I started noticing that most sports stories a half of the articles are about the set up for the game. Why is this game important? It is because.... Then I noticed the political articles are written that way. I have to agree with you, vox. In the old days you needed the media for publicity. Bad publicity is better is good in the old days. Today you have the internet. Write your own publicity.

Blogger Cabraxas January 02, 2021 11:04 PM  

Vox, I've copied and sent your "don't talk to the media" post to everyone I know; they deserve to be warned as you've now warned me. God bless and take care.

Post a Comment

Rules of the blog

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts